Which household items have made your life easier/more convenient/happier?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jkushne1

Which household items have made your life easier/more convenient/happier?

Post by jkushne1 »

My wife and I are in the process of buying our first home. I know the data that experiences > material items in terms of happiness but that's not the topic for this particular post. I'm curious as to what particular material items people have found that the cost/purchase has actually made their life better - either purely happier, more convenient, less maintenance, etc... I'm not talking necessarily about services (lawn care, pool maintenance, etc...) but physical items.

Some items come to mind immediately for me as example...
-Wifi: we are paying for more ethernet drops, currently have mesh network, and faster internet speed --> I never have to worry about slow internet.
-Nest thermostat: we use it all the time to adjust temperatures when we're driving home or to regulate the house. 
-Energy efficient LED lightbulbs: save energy but they last much longer so I have to replace them much less frequently.
​​​​​​​-Programmable coffee maker: prepare the night before and ready to go in the morning

Along a similar vane, what items did you THINK would make life better and actually DIDN'T live up to expectations?
-Such as other "smart home" items just didn't work out as you planned. For instance, I've heard many people say WiFi enabled locks on the door (not necessarily keypads) were more of a nuisance (having to change batteries a couple times a year) than they were worth (rarely use front door - garage opener for instance) while other people swear by them.

We are essentially trying to figure out where to put some of our money over the next several years and expectations are often different than reality.
mega317

Re: Which household items have made your life easier/more convenient/happier?

Post by mega317 »

+1 on mesh. Love the waffle maker and expensive Dutch oven. An iPad for each family member old enough to use it has been valuable. Replacing all our shades with nicer ones was definitely worth it.

As has been discussed ad nauseam here, I’m in the camp that’s had terrible experience with front load washers. Our expensive counter depth fridge doesn’t fit enough food. I found I prefer physical books so the kindle is worthless.

If you have little kids I could write a dissertation answering this question about items for mine.

IMO you are going about this wrong. You don’t need a place to put your money—save it. Then when you have a specific purchase in mind come back and ask about that one thing.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Microwave oven. It can not only cook oatmeal, but it can help one with HIIT and getting six-pack abs.

Very quiet dishwasher. This is required in an open-floor plan with kitchen not separated from the family room.

We have WiFi, but all those other things you mentioned are just unnecessary fluff. We don't have LED lights because we rarely use lights except for perhaps our LED headlamps. I suppose we will replace incandescent bulbs whenever they burn out. We don't even have an icemaker.

While not a household item, great neighbors have made our lives easier, more convenient, and happier than anything we have inside our home.
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

+ Toto toilet with fancy washlet. Remote control.
+ Miele appliances. Especially, 24-inch ovens. The washer with TwinDos is awesome.
+ Sub-Zero wine fridge.
+ Big Ass Fans. Haiku, not Haiku L.
+ Rachio sprinkler controller. Use less water and 3-year payback.
+ Furniture from Room & Board. Made in USA. Solid.
+ Furniture from IKEA. Good price/performance. Some assembly required.
+ Front patio at street level. Lots of neighbors drop by. It has strengthened our micro-neighborhood.
+ Apple products. Phones, computers, tablets, TV boxes.
+ Custom artwork dining room chandelier. Support local artists.
+ Cordless tools.
+ UV heat-reducing film on east-facing 18x6 foot window wall.
+ Bath towels from Restoration Hardware.
+ Koehler soft close toilet seats. $33.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself »

Litter Robot (self cleaning kitty litter 'box'. game changer, only empty the drawer once every week or two, virtually no odors)
Snoo Bassinett (self soothing baby bassinett...our 2 month old is sleeping 8 straight hours through the night, and our 2 yr old had similar success with the bassinett, and now she also sleeps 9 or 10+ straight hours every night. we credit this machine for the good routines)

Breville Smart Grinder coffee grinder + Bonavita Coffee maker = the most consistent high quality cup of coffee I can find anywhere.

Minisplit Heat/AC connected to the Honeywell Lyric/Redlink Thermostat system. App based control over heat and ac in my entire home. My space is always comfortable when I need it, and the costs are low.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I am happier in life when I am not seeking things to spend money on. When I find I need something, I do the research and try to find the best thing to fill that need. Because I am not spending money all the time on things strangers tell me I need, I generally have more than enough money to buy high quality stuff when I do need it.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:39 am I am happier in life when I am not seeking things to spend money on. When I find I need something, I do the research and try to find the best thing to fill that need. Because I am not spending money all the time on things strangers tell me I need, I generally have more than enough money to buy high quality stuff when I do need it.
Said better than I could. Simplicity is convenience and happiness for me. Off the top of my head, the things we bought for "convenience" in our home we generally ended up giving away because they were rarely used.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

I rent, so all of mine have been small but these have all been good improvements.

1) Lots of over-door hooks. I have them on every closet and bathroom door. Very useful.

2) Top-of-the-line HEPA filters. I use Nordic Pure filters in my HVAC system and I also have a standalone HEPA filter.

3) Professional framing. I collect antique maps—professional custom frames are far better than off-the-shelf.

4) UV film on west-facing windows. Now my place doesn't bake in the afternoon. I've gone from the AC barely keeping up on hot days to sometimes not even needing it.

The security on most if not all Internet-enabled door locks leaves a *lot* to be desired. I had one forced on me in a previous rental. After doing a lot of researching and speaking with some infosec experts in a similar situation, we came to the conclusion that the industry is an absolute joke. One of the security researchers we were working with was able to develop a proof of concept that would allow an attacker to wirelessly unlock doors just by walking around the apartment complex.

The only "smart home" devices I use are some wifi outlets. I'm not terribly concerned about attackers turning a few lamps on and off.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Good pots and pans ie: Le crueset Dutch oven, iron pan, le cruset pots.

Good knives and a good knife sharpener.

Don’t buy sets, buy what you need and will use.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

Microwave (but aren't these standard now in every kitchen?)

Keurig
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018UQ5AMS/re ... 867&sr=8-7

Smart water leak detectors
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748 ... UTF8&psc=1

Simple door alarms
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017 ... UTF8&psc=1

Night lights
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071D ... UTF8&psc=1

Battery operated "candles"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ED ... UTF8&psc=1

White noise machine
(many to choose from! Mine is very old but still works great)

Good Wifi (I don't have cable)
https://www.sonic.com/
If you're not working on yourself, you're not working.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

Motion sensor light switches. Places like laundry room, pantry, closet. Turns light on by motion and off when you leave.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Corkscrew
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
mhc

Post by mhc »

quiet dishwasher
quiet toliets (especially when DW was pregnant)
blackout window coverings for bedrooms
ceiling fans
smart thermostat
nest hub as bedside alarm clock (I can also change the thermostat from bed)
smart plugs for living room lamps
motion & light detecting night lights (when I walk around at night, they light up in front of me)
treadmill (nice when you can't get out of the house)
good kitchen knives
grill
smoker
ball valves (quarter turn) for water shutoffs. gate valves fail at the worst time. ball valves are quieter.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Telephone which wasn't a party line; air-conditioning and a washing machine. The microwave is nice. You can tell I'm old.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Central heating — no question. Without it life is tough, at least in the temperate zone.
Chance favors the prepared mind. — Louis Pasteur
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Showing my age here:

Dishwasher
Microwave oven
Central AC
Automatic washer and dryer
Permanent Press clothes

Some were not available when I was growing up.
Imagine the time savings in the not having to iron every piece of clothing,
the microwave, dishwasher, and not having to haul water to a washing machine
or having to hang clothes out to dry.
During the winter, hands would get red hanging wet clothes out to dry.
When brought in, clothes would stand up by themselves frozen when brought in during the winter.

We could not afford these when my wife and I got married.

I'm lucky though, my older brothers would add indoor plumbing (ditching the outhouse).

We are truly blessed living in the developed world.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I avoided all the smart home garbage, I can turn off the lights and open the door myself.
One thing to invest in is a kitchen and kitchen stuff. Cooking becomes a chore if you don't have the space and needs and you'll end up eating out more often.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

We got a battery powered electric lawnmower last year that has exceeded expectations.

One example of addition by subtraction: a few years ago, I ripped out our garbage disposal and replaced it with regular plumbing. The sink smells better and there's a lot more room under the pipes.
aceoperations

Post by aceoperations »

A good light cordless vacuum. We have the Dyson V11 torque drive. Expensive, but it is easy to clean, and it cleans well. Light enough that our 3 year old is able to vacuum the living room. He loves doing it! :D
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Bogle7 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:20 am + Big Ass Fans. Haiku, not Haiku L.
Worth the price? I’ve been looking at one for an outdoor area
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

I think lots of ceiling fans are underrated, fwiw
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

BUY -
We have some night lights that automatically come on in the dark.
Storage solutions. Most people accumulate stuff. Go nuts installing shelves, pegboard, and ceiling racks where it makes sense.
Magnet that holds kitchen knives and scissors
Modern, quiet dishwasher
Old school (used) washer and dryer that is easily repairable
Can lights (still something we want to get installed in our old house)
BBQ Grill - you can spend as much or as little as you want, but I love outdoor cooking.
Automatic sprinkler system. I prefer our old school timer, but I see somebody recommend a smart timer.

PASS -
SONOS. People love them and for years I had my eye on them. When IKEA came out with $99 speakers that operate on the same software as SONOS, I finally bit. Due to software updates and some of our own wifi issues it's more trouble than it's worth for me. The worst part is SONOS can make the speakers obsolete which sucks because good speakers should last a lifetime.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

Most recently was the Nespresso Vertuo espresso maker. (Replacing the Keurig and the AeroPress)

Best purchase in the last few years was furnace upgrade to a heat pump.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

Excellent window treatments. We have a honeycomb shade on a big window that is top down and bottom up. We can pull the top down and let tons of light into the room without fading the furniture and hand-scraped wood flooring. In the afternoon when the sun is no longer directly shining in the window, we open it up a beautiful water feature and view into our backyard.

We have Lutron remote operating shades on some windows that close automatically in the afternoon. We love these so much!

Beautiful shutters across the front of the house create a uniform look and they are beautiful.

Will never settle for cheap blinds from a big box store.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:00 am 4) UV film on west-facing windows. Now my place doesn't bake in the afternoon. I've gone from the AC barely keeping up on hot days to sometimes not even needing it.
So this works well? I have a ton of west-facing windows, no AC, and on sunny summer late-afternoons/evenings the upstairs bedrooms can get over 90.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:00 am 2) Top-of-the-line HEPA filters. I use Nordic Pure filters in my HVAC system and I also have a standalone HEPA filter.
I hadn't heard of them before. I'm going to try their Geothermal line during my next filter change (not due for 2 months). I change the filters on schedule, and it's astounding how much dust gets in them in 3 months.

I'm anal about HEPA filters, and have quite a few around the house. I love our home, but between the rural vegetation, dogs, cats, etc., allergy season beats my ability to take sufficient Claritan.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

squirm wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 am I avoided all the smart home garbage, I can turn off the lights and open the door myself.
I don't use my smart lights to turn on and off according to a schedule, but I have found Circadian lights (ie, they are a different temperature light in the morning, noon, evening, etc) to be a real improvement in my life. Additionally, there has been more than one occasion where I am glad to be able to turn off the "dog walking lights" from my bed when I remember that I forgot to turn them off. :oops:

It's also nice to be able to open the garage door when I head out the back door, and by the time I'm at the garage, it's open. I can do that from an app (always have my phone with me) whereas the remote gets misplaced all the time.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

McDougal wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:28 am Motion sensor light switches. Places like laundry room, pantry, closet. Turns light on by motion and off when you leave.
If not those then at least the one in the door jam for closet and pantry!
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

Whatever you think is going to make the biggest difference in your new home is what you should look for.

When we were searching for our current home, my big thing was the master bathroom - I wanted double sinks and a separate shower and bathtub in the master bath. So I didn't have to share a sink with my lovely husband, and I didn't have to go to the guest bathroom to have a bubble bath. I got them, and they are what first popped into my mind on reading your post. My husband doesn't care at all about any of those items. But he was really focused on finding a house with a double garage and off-street parking for our 2 cars, so I'm sure that'd be somewhere on his list.

Other than that: a/c, washer & dryer, dishwasher, toaster oven that is really a counter oven you can cook anything in, hurricane impact-resistant windows, coffee maker, wifi. It'd be nice if the dishwasher we had was quieter but we are not going to replace it until it is irrepairable, so we make good use of the timer start function so we can have it running during the day when we are at work.

The hurricane windows were probably our most recent big purchase. But they're not exactly going to be a necessity if you live in Seattle...
Sarah
illumination

Post by illumination »

Arlo cameras, easy to install, so nice to be able to just pull your phone out and check on things. See if a package is out front, etc.

Mesh network, I got the Eero pros, I love them. Was constantly changing routers based on location in house.

OTA antenna, hooked up to a lifetime TiVo, allowed us to drop a cable bill every month.

External keypad for garage door entry. I find myself using this constantly, was only like $30.

Reverse Osmosis system. Like $300 off Amazon, way cheaper than some of the rip offs like Kinetico that can be nearly $2,000. New filters are cheap also.

Refillable K-Cup pods, allows you to just get the coffee grounds and make a single cup. Now a good cup of coffee is like 5 cents and less waste. Of course, that might defeat the purpose of these machines for some people.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:55 am Telephone which wasn't a party line; air-conditioning and a washing machine. The microwave is nice. You can tell I'm old.
I remember telephone party lines!

I did have air conditioning and a washing machine growing up. No microwave though.

Of course no internet. Can't imagine going without that now.
If you're not working on yourself, you're not working.
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

Dash egg cooker (so easy to use and makes the best hard boiled eggs)
WiFi garage door opener
Roomba
Dyson cordless vacuum
Vornado fan
A good space heater
Mattress that sleeps cool

Post by 123 »

We like the "indoor plumbing". Much better than the alternative.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
megabad

Post by megabad »

Good stuff:
Exercise equipment
Gigantic crock pot (works at home and parties)
Big screen TV
Comfortable dog beds (so they stay off my furniture)
Tools
Really good lawn equipment (if you do your own)
Doorbell camera
Stackable storage boxes, storage shelves in garage
Flashlights (stupid I know but I am always looking for one)
Commercial fire extinguisher (The home ones are a joke, I have a 10lb I think)

Not so useful:
Roomba (just don’t use it as much and doesn’t work as well as I thought, but we have a house full of hairy animals)

Dvd/blue ray player (dunno why we bought, we have an Xbox that plays movies just fine)

Furniture (we need some but we wasted more money than we should have). We should have spent the money where it counted and went IKEA on everything else in my opinion.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Automation of small items -
- outdoor lights timer - on at dusk/off at a preset time
- pool filter timer
- motion sensor lights in pass thru areas in house and garage
- timers include bathroom fans

Sound system for house and outdoors
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

aceoperations wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:06 am A good light cordless vacuum. We have the Dyson V11 torque drive. Expensive, but it is easy to clean, and it cleans well. Light enough that our 3 year old is able to vacuum the living room. He loves doing it! :D
Does anyone have experience with robot vacuums? i.e. Roombas, iRobots, etc

If those clean well enough, I would find that very convenient!

*Edit - Seeing posts on both sides. Thanks!
Last edited by Mr.Chlorine on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

The home ownership decision I've made that has made me the happiest is deciding not to care what my lawn looks like. It gets mowed and raked. That's it. No aeration, fertilization, sprinkling, weed control...none of that expense or hassle.
oko

Post by oko »

Bidet ... IMO life changer.

Does not need to be a fancy one. Even $30 will work fine.

That said we got one from Sam's clearance for $140, which has washer, dryer, memory for 2 people. Reduced toilet paper usage by probably 90%.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Best (though not exactly an "item"): Big enough yard to provide adequate buffer from neighboring homes and street.

Items:
Robust wifi system: router and two wireless access points
Logitech Squeezebox music system (discontinued but still thriving due to enthusiasts' contributions) for whole house audio
Good audio speakers/system
Latex mattress
Wifi exterior lights that can be controlled via Echo
Wemo smart plugs controlled by Echo (particularly the one to turn the electric kettle on in the kitchen for morning coffee)
French press coffee maker
Riding lawnmower
Tall toilets
Smoker, grill, and griddle on patio (overkill but :beer )
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Imagine answers over the years:

DD - Internet.
DW - Microwave
Mother - Frozen vegetables
Grandmother - Running water w/inside toilets.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

• A small, inexpensive digital kitchen scale. Once you get used to measuring things by weight, it's tough to go back to using measuring spoons/cups for anything other than liquid ingredients. I use ours every morning when I make coffee.
  • Roll-up silicon drying rack. You can get these at Amazon, etc. Rolls out over one of your sink basins. Dishes, glasses, etc. dry more quickly since they're exposed to air both bottom and top. Can also use it to wash fruits/veggies and as a cooling rack. Rolls up out of the way when not needed.
  • Pulltex Waiter's corkscrew. Someone mentioned corkscrew already, but this particular kind, with the double-hinge lever, is hands-down the best and least-fussy. Grab one of those horseshoe-shaped foil cutters while you're at it. Total cost for both should be less than $20.
  • Good, powerful Wi-Fi router. If you're using the combination modem/router that your internet company gave you, switching to a separate dedicated router can make a big difference (assuming you get a quality one).
Stay on target...
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Mr.Chlorine wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:44 pm
aceoperations wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:06 am A good light cordless vacuum. We have the Dyson V11 torque drive. Expensive, but it is easy to clean, and it cleans well. Light enough that our 3 year old is able to vacuum the living room. He loves doing it! :D
Does anyone have experience with robot vacuums? i.e. Roombas, iRobots, etc

If those clean well enough, I would find that very convenient!

*Edit - Seeing posts on both sides. Thanks!
Yes, because of COVID we will not let the house cleaners in and they don't want to come anyway.

I have both the vacuum and the mop. They work GREAT! The only feature you have to be aware of is to get the Roombas that keeps a file of the house room by room. I have it for the mop but the vacuum has to go through the entire house, and our house is big. I can specify to the mop which room I want mopped such as the kitchen more frequently than the other rooms.
BTW, Roombas work best for homes that are 2000 sq. feet or less. Ours is 2600. But just the same we love them!
"We have seen much more money made and kept by “ordinary people” who were temperamentally well suited for the investment process than by those who lacked this quality." Ben Graham
CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish »

Bidet toilet seats. Chromecast / Chromecast Audio for A/V around the house. Commercial-grade convection oven. Electric hot water kettle. Philips Hue controllers + bulbs. Backyard "kitchen garden" planted for year-round herbs. High-quality windows. Mini-split supplemental HVAC. High-quality bedding. Fresh paint and carpet before they get dingy. Big Green Egg. The windows are really the only big-ticket item on that list.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

mak1277 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:44 pm The home ownership decision I've made that has made me the happiest is deciding not to care what my lawn looks like. It gets mowed and raked. That's it. No aeration, fertilization, sprinkling, weed control...none of that expense or hassle.
We have taken to calling ours “the meadow” rather than “the lawn.” Thankfully, the neighbors are far away, and the wildlife has voted in the affirmative on the change.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Best item:

WiFi - gives lots of freedom to use computer and security items (Arlo).
iPad and laptops. Portable. As an internet addict, I love these two items.

Cheap Class D amplifier for music. Good sound and runs cool because of technology used.

A/C - asthma is much better
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Here’s a brain dump of what consumer choices make a difference in my enjoyment of our house, especially as a hunker down COVID site:

Salt water pool with comfortable furniture
Sauna
Hot tub
Har-tru tennis court
Hue lights for bedrooms
Lutron Caseta switches and Pico remotes
2700K LED bulbs (also some 3000K ones)
Multiple Ethernet pulls to provide wired backbone for eero mesh network
Dedicated media room
OLED TVs
Pantry, closets, storage that are sufficiently large and have automatic lights
Geothermal heating and cooling
Solar and battery backup that make me not afraid of winter power outages
Toto washlet toilets
Triple glazed windows
Sufficient and well-placed supply and return HVAC vents
Heated tile floors in master bathroom
Skylight in shower (what a way to wake up)
Sous vide machine and outdoor BBQ grill (great for just-right steaks)
Zojurushi rice maker (great for steel-cut oats)
Induction range with powerful hood to clear smoke/steam
Technivorm MoccaMaster (not too simple, not too complicated, great cup of coffee)
Fireplace
Panasonic microwave (better than our previous $$$$ built in)
Double stainless sink in kitchen with draining sponge holder
Enough office space and bedrooms for DW and kids to isolate and separate work from BR during WFH
Motorized blackout shades
mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

My Breville toaster oven. I use it constantly.
GlacierRunner

Post by GlacierRunner »

Things we still look at each and say, "wow, that's so nice!"
washer and dryer (rather than shared laundry in building or laundromat)
quiet dishwasher
internet/wifi at home
snowblower (and three neighbors with plows!)
heat pump (heat and air conditioning throughout the house)
zero gravity lawn chair
wireless headphones for television
bird feeder
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Gaggia Velasca automatic espresso machine - cappuccino every morning. :D

Apple products - Iphones, Ipads, Macbooks (Though I also have a HP/ Windows computer with a SSD drive in my basement office). The most recent purchase of the Apple TV has been great and works well with all our devices, music, pictures, etc.

Trading in the big floor standing speakers for the smaller 5.1 set up. (Makes DW happy)

Earbuds to use with Iphone when listening to Audible recorded books and XM/Sirius radio. I use all the time when working outside and taking walks.

Ego battery operated lawn and garden tools - so far have purchased their leaf blower, hedge trimmer, and weed wacker.

Riding lawn mower - have a 25 year old John Deere (though if my yard was about 1/3 smaller and less hilly, I would get an Ego lawn mower)

Speakers on the deck - hundreds of hours of listening pleasure over the past 25 years in our home.

CDs (the music kind) - Not as convenient as just turning on a stream, but I really enjoy playing CDs on a good music system, and I think lossless (non-compressed) recordings sound better. Classic rock, folk, jazz, classical, whatever. I probably have 55-60 Grateful Dead shows, a smaller collection of Dave Matthews, and other band's live performances. Playing one of these is a Friday night ritual.

Wine cellar - I had built in when we built the home. It will easily hold 750 bottles, but there are usually 200-225 at any one time. Allows me to buy and age wine, and we always have something ready to drink.

Since it's been mentioned, I'm a big fan of waiter's corkscrews as well. I also really enjoy drinking out of quality glassware; Riedel for wine, and an inherited set of Waterford old fashioned glasses for cocktails.

On the topic of wine, I got a mid level Coravin this past Christmas. It does what it's supposed to do, but I rarely use it. Maybe, I need to develop a greater level of temperance. :beer
shell921

Post by shell921 »

+ Toto toilets
+ Solid wood doors
+ Viking gas cooktop & wine fridge.
+ Ceiling fans in each room
+ Instant hot /cold water dispenser - InSinkErator
+ Some furniture from Ballard Designs
+ Some furniture from IKEA.
+ Over the door hooks
+ Apple products - phones, computers,
+ Custom artwork/custom framed throughout home - I support local artists.
+ Good pots, pans and knives
+ High quality sheets/towels
+ Big screen tvs
+ Quiet dishwasher
+ Swimspa
+ Tankless water heaters
+ Tempurpedic mattresses
+ 2 gas fireplaces
+ High quality shutters and drapes
+ Nice area rugs
+ heated tile floors in master bath
+ Exterior motion sensor lights