4-year-old Corolla on long trip

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
effillus

4-year-old Corolla on long trip

Post by effillus »

I'm planning a trip from Illinois to the West Coast in September. My 2016 Corolla LE has 125,000 miles on it, no apparent mechanical problems. Should I trust it on that long a trip, or am I asking for trouble going that distance in a car with that many miles on it? Thoughts?
hayhayday

Re: 4-year-old Corolla on long trip

Post by hayhayday »

While I would be surprised if anything goes wrong if you can get a rental for a few hundred it might cheap insurance and some of the cost would be offset by not putting ~5000 miles on your car $50 oil change and 1\8 of a set of tires might cover half of cost not counting depreciation if you can get car for ~20 a day.
Mr.Mosfet

Post by Mr.Mosfet »

Should be good, Corolla's go 300k-miles all the time with minimal maintenance.

I wouldn't hesitate to make the trip with my 2006 Corolla@280k, or 2003 Matrix@180k.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Go for it. People drive vehicles with a lot more than 125k miles.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

This couple is taking their 2004 Corolla on a 50-state, 5-year journey across the U.S. and over two years in, it's still fine. Your car will be fine.

https://nohomejustroam.com/
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

I've made that road trip many times, but starting in Seattle.

I would take your car in for a general oil change/checkup right before the trip--make sure the tires and brakes are in good condition, all the lights (including turn signals) are working.

My only hesitation is that it is fatiguing to drive a small car long distances, but lots of people do it.

You should be fine.

Make sure you take your time and enjoy yourself, and stop at various roadside attractions. My favorite path to the Midwest is thru Montana and North Dakota, but South Dakota (with Mount Rushmore) is good too, just a lot more traffic than the northern route. I've never done the southern route to LA.

My preferred routine is to be on the road by 6AM and knock off around 5PM--and explore whatever town your in and have a good dinner. And I set the cruise control a couple miles an hour under the limit, stay in the right lane and try not to be in a hurry--it makes the entire trip more enjoyable.

Have fun. I'm jealous.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I wouldn't worry about the Corolla having issues, but depending on how many people will be in the car, I might consider renting a larger car just to be more comfortable.

How many people will be in the car?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

No worries as long as the car has been properly maintained. Long distance highway miles are the easiest miles you can put on a vehicle.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
Volkdancer

Post by Volkdancer »

I would have no qualms driving cross country in a Toyota with 150,000 miles.

But I would take it to my favorite mechanic for a checkover before heading out.

I have done many two to three thousand mile trips and one ten thousand miler with as much as 180,000 miles on the odometer the ten thousand miler) and never once had a problem.

Of course, your experience might be different. Then you become an expert. And have some good stories to tell!

Karl V
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

What do I worry about for a long distance trip:
  • Cooling system - hoses, belts, water pump, coolant leaks
    Fuel system - fuel filter (a clogged fuel filter gave me a lot of problem once), fuel pump (never replaced), starter
    Electrical system - belt, alternator (rarely), starter
Corollas are quite reliable. The cooling system is the most critical and a bad mishap may ruin the engine.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (trip).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Is there a reason you are worried about a 4 year old car? With 125,000 miles on a 4 year old car, you must do quite a bit of driving. I don’t think most people who spend that much time behind a wheel would ask your question. Something is giving you pause.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Part of this is the car being only 4 years old. That means you likely have lots of easy highway miles on the car. 15 years old and 125k (my car)... I'm not so sure. Yes, I could replace all the rubber etc. parts but I don't think I'd be inclined to do that.

I would rent, and have (thus 125k miles on my car in 15 years) if my trip were only a few weeks. For all we know you're going to be gone for ten years, so I don't understand the rental recommendations with an open-ended commitent.

Regarding the comments on Corolla reliability, reputations die hard. People are going to tell you about their '69 Corolla and how they're still driving it on a 100-mile commute every day (and knowing Bogleheads, they are), and that it only needed one repair ever that they did themselves with duct tape. Maybe new models will live up to expectations, maybe not. I don't know much about Corollas, but I know that on some other newer vehicles, durability seems to have taken a hit due to complex and less reliable systems (with admittedly improved functionality.)
Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong »

The nice thing about a rental is if it becomes undriveable due to a mechanical issue or an accident, you can let the rental company deal with it. You get another rental and go on your merry way. If you bring your own car, you get to spend days (or weeks if it’s a serious accident) in a motel 6 waiting for parts to be delivered to the repair shop.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Lol. I have a 1992 Accord with 250k miles. I would have no issues driving it across country. M

Your Corolla is just getting broken in.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

effillus wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:06 pm I'm planning a trip from Illinois to the West Coast in September. My 2016 Corolla LE has 125,000 miles on it, no apparent mechanical problems. Should I trust it on that long a trip, or am I asking for trouble going that distance in a car with that many miles on it? Thoughts?
It's 4-year-NEW, but that's a lot of miles. If you've done the maintenance (basically oil changes and inspections), no worries. How are the tires and brake pads? Did you ever change the coolant? How the battery and alternator?

hayhayday wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:14 pm ~5000 miles on your car $50 oil change and 1\8 of a set of tires might cover half of cost not counting depreciation if you can get car for ~20 a day.
It's a Corolla. It has 125k miles on it. It's going to be cheaper to drive than anything you can rent.
MathIsMyWayr wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:36 pm What do I worry about for a long distance trip:
  • Cooling system - hoses, belts, water pump, coolant leaks
    Fuel system - fuel filter (a clogged fuel filter gave me a lot of problem once), fuel pump (never replaced), starter
    Electrical system - belt, alternator (rarely), starter
Corollas are quite reliable. The cooling system is the most critical and a bad mishap may ruin the engine.
Funny, in an older car, these would give me more concern, but the alternator is the only part that I hear wear out at 100k. Hoses and belts issues are age as much as mileage. The water pump or fuel pump might have gotten more wear too, but they often outlast their service interval by several times. I wouldn't be surprised if some or even many 300k Corolla have never replaced those pumps.

Anyway, 5000k is about 3 months of driving and if you've not had issue the last 3 months or expect any problems the next 3, what does it matter where those 5000k miles are put on the car?

I'm getting less than $200 price difference 125k and 130k, and if OP keeps it till the tires fall off, the meaning of the difference is even less. Don't know if I need to add in the oil change or 1/8th tire or if it's included in the estimate.
https://www.kbb.com/toyota/corolla/2016 ... rue#survey
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Ping Pong wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:08 pm The nice thing about a rental is if it becomes undriveable due to a mechanical issue or an accident, you can let the rental company deal with it. You get another rental and go on your merry way. If you bring your own car, you get to spend days (or weeks if it’s a serious accident) in a motel 6 waiting for parts to be delivered to the repair shop.
There is a lot of value to this and it's why I often rented for longer (but short in time duration) trips. The flip side is that some annoying problems can still be expensive and take time (like a flat tire that can't be repaired, and that you have to pay to replace with an identical tire.)
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

No one has a clue how well you have maintained your car. 4 years old is practically new but with so many miles you could have abused it with skipping maintenance items. So who knows.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

effillus wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:06 pm I'm planning a trip from Illinois to the West Coast in September. My 2016 Corolla LE has 125,000 miles on it, no apparent mechanical problems. Should I trust it on that long a trip, or am I asking for trouble going that distance in a car with that many miles on it? Thoughts?
I would have no concerns whatsoever.
Audioarc

Post by Audioarc »

Rent a nicer car and enjoy the trip.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Put that engine to work for you.
That is what it is designed to do
Enjoy
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

inbox788 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:10 pm ...
Anyway, 5000k is about 3 months of driving and if you've not had issue the last 3 months or expect any problems the next 3, what does it matter where those 5000k miles are put on the car?
Well, 5000k miles = 5 million miles = 10 1/2 round trips to the moon :shock:
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

oldfort wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:16 pm Go for it. People drive vehicles with a lot more than 125k miles.
Yes this!! Is there any reason you don't think it will be okay? If it's been maintained, has good tires, and normally runs good; go for it! That's not many miles for really any newer car.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

If it's just a "long" trip, it will be fine.

JT
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:10 pm Lol. I have a 1992 Accord with 250k miles. I would have no issues driving it across country. M

Your Corolla is just getting broken in.
yep.

We just took our 2003 Odyssey with 200K+ miles on a 2500 mile trip, didn't even worry a bit.

Strange how we worry about different things.
hudson

Post by hudson »

maybe check...if you don't already know the condition
cabin air filter
air filter
oil
tires and tire pressure...and the spare
AAA subscription or the equivalent
have the wipers been changed recently

I have a 2013 Toyota Tundra. I'd jump in it right now without checking any of the above and head West!
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Drove my 300K+ mile 2006 Jetta 1,000 miles to Florida last week. No worries.

FireProof

Post by FireProof »

Drove my 2001 Toyota Avalon with 200,000 miles on it 800 miles a few weeks ago (NorCal to Oregon). By mile 600, the check engine light came on, oil was bone dry. Over the rest of the trip and the drive back (a week later and a little longer, since we took a detour to Lassen), it sucked down quarts of oil, burning it almost as fast as I put it in.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:18 pm
Ping Pong wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:08 pm The nice thing about a rental is if it becomes undriveable due to a mechanical issue or an accident, you can let the rental company deal with it. You get another rental and go on your merry way. If you bring your own car, you get to spend days (or weeks if it’s a serious accident) in a motel 6 waiting for parts to be delivered to the repair shop.
There is a lot of value to this and it's why I often rented for longer (but short in time duration) trips. The flip side is that some annoying problems can still be expensive and take time (like a flat tire that can't be repaired, and that you have to pay to replace with an identical tire.)
It is sort of annoying to drive a car you aren't used to. Sight lines are different, seat isn't adjusted the way you want, screwy entertainment systems,and so on. Given the relatively low risk of a car break down, I don't think I would worry too much. As people point out the odds of a break down over the next 100k miles are pretty low. And if it happens to break down? You rent a car and continue on your trip and pick yours up on the way back.

Now if your car has a list of issues that bother you (it has been burning oil for 4 years, has a small cooleant leak, ...) then yeah I would reconsider.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

You want some peace of mind - two weeks before the trip:

Check radiator fluid condition, radiator hoses, brakes, battery condition, tires, transmission fluid (if not sealed), drive belts.
Change the wiper blades and the oil. Ask the mechanic to check the muffler that it's not going to fall off on the road.

Did your car even need a timing belt change? Was it done? How are the struts/shock absorbers - does the car bounce uncontrollably on bumps in the road? They normally go to 140-150K.

Keep a quart or two of motor oil in the trunk. A gallon of antifreeze pre-mix. Make sure the spare tire is actually inflated and you have a jack, or a AAA membership. Keep some road flares in the trunk or those orange reflective triangles in case you are stuck on the road until help arrives. That's it. You will likely use none of these things, but why not be prepared?

If the car is in good running condition, I would not worry about the distance. But, if it concerns you, go rent a car, I'm sure the rental agency would be more than happy to rent one to you.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

I drove my >250,000 mile 2002 Mitsubishi >400 miles each way but round trip total several times. But due to various noises I won't cross the border with her now.

3 >400 mile each way but round trip total within the past 18 months on my current 168,000 mile 2004 Mazda.

I do a basic walk around, oil, tires, coolant, transmission fluid, brake fluid, etc... check. I travel with 1 gallon concentrated coolant, 1 gallon distilled water, 5 quarts of oil, my go-to kit of car tools, flashlight. All in a small box, tucked in a corner of the trunk or rear seat floor. Takes up less space than my other junk I travel with.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

FireProof wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:45 pm Drove my 2001 Toyota Avalon with 200,000 miles on it 800 miles a few weeks ago (NorCal to Oregon). By mile 600, the check engine light came on, oil was bone dry. Over the rest of the trip and the drive back (a week later and a little longer, since we took a detour to Lassen), it sucked down quarts of oil, burning it almost as fast as I put it in.
Was it consuming oil prior to this trip? How much and at what rate? Any smoke from the tailpipe (black, white, blue, other)?

Did you check the oil before you left? I'll assume it's full at mile 0.

Bone dry means adding 5 quarts of oil. The dipstick gets dry after 1 quart or so. How much oil did you add to get back to full?

How many total miles? how many total quarts of oil added? No big leaks?

What was the problem?
IMO

Post by IMO »

Many things can go wrong with a car as it ages. But your car is only 4 years old, so the odds of something failing in your car are pretty low. The mileage is high, but those are probably highway miles anyway? I think your car has a timing chain?

However, your trip would be about 4,000 miles round trip. Not sure how long you are going, but it might be worth looking at your actual depreciation for 4,000 miles and it might possibly be better financially to rent a car if you can find a good deal on rentals (perhaps even a larger car).

I'd worry most about if the car had a spare tire so I wasn't stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to figure out how to take care of a non-slimeable flat.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

FireProof wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:45 pm Drove my 2001 Toyota Avalon with 200,000 miles on it 800 miles a few weeks ago (NorCal to Oregon). By mile 600, the check engine light came on, oil was bone dry. Over the rest of the trip and the drive back (a week later and a little longer, since we took a detour to Lassen), it sucked down quarts of oil, burning it almost as fast as I put it in.
Where may I ask was the oil going?

If it was bone dry as you say, the main bearings would have melted, the engine seized and you certainly would not have been driving it for a week. More like 2 miles.
toast0

Post by toast0 »

cowdogman wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:22 pmI would take your car in for a general oil change/checkup right before the trip--make sure the tires and brakes are in good condition, all the lights (including turn signals) are working.
I'd try to get the oil change/checkup at least two weeks before the trip; gives you time to deal with any issues that come up, and also have some local driving in case the trip to the mechanic stirs up new problems, as it sometimes does.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:36 pm
Did your car even need a timing belt change?
Corolla doesn't have a timing belt. It's a chain.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:06 am
So nothing to worry about with that.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
frugaltigris

Post by frugaltigris »

I drove one of my Corolla's which is 15 year old with 150K+ miles on a 5500 mile trip. Did great. By the way it is not even so well maintained but it is Corolla :-)
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:31 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:06 am
So nothing to worry about with that.
Chains and their associated tensioners and guides do wear and can cause problems even before they break.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

palanzo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:44 am
Where may I ask was the oil going?

If it was bone dry as you say, the main bearings would have melted, the engine seized and you certainly would not have been driving it for a week. More like 2 miles.
Odds are it was the stick that was dry and the engine still had a quart or two of oil in it. I have to figure there has to be a pretty substantial leak going on to go through a a couple quarts of oil every couple hundred miles. Or there were huge clouds of black smoke behind the car:). There is definitely a chance of break down in any car. I had a 50k Honda get a stuck engine valve and had to limp into get it fixed. The odds of these break downs happening over a couple week period in a car that was healthy (i.e. not leaking fluid for the past 6 months but you ignored it cause it was only a couple of drops every day on the drive way) is pretty low but also not zero.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

If the car is in good shape I wouldn't even give it a second thought. I'd drive my 06 Canyon with way more miles to Hawaii if they ever got that bridge done :P
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I would rent a car for the trip. Chances are your good would do fine but you never know. Also, if your car does breakdown, finding a reputable shop to repair is definitely more difficult than if you were at home, not to mention the delay. It might take days to fix it. If you rent a car and it breaks down, you have to call them and they will replace it. Repair nor delay is your problem.

I would not want to drive that far in a small car like a corolla. I would recommend getting an intermediate car. You will be amazed at the difference on you in that long a trip.

We have rented cars to go long distances before and it worked great. You eliminate the wear and tear on your car. If you figure the true cost per mile driven, it may not be anymore expensive to rent versus drive your car.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Shouldn't have any issues if the car has been properly maintained. A couple of years ago I drove my 09 Matrix, a Corolla variant with 225,000 miles on it, from Chicago to San Diego without any problems and not long after I drove down to Tampa. Ymmv!
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

IMO wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:32 amNot sure how long you are going, but it might be worth looking at your actual depreciation for 4,000 miles and it might possibly be better financially to rent a car if you can find a good deal on rentals (perhaps even a larger car).
Depreciation for 4000 miles for a new or newer car is modest (0.15-0.25/mile lease excess mile charge), and rental companies seem willing to absorb it with their unlimited miles policies. Depreciation for 4000 miles for a car with over 100k miles is low to negligible.

Using above example, $50 oil change, $400 tires * 1/8 = $50, so $100 out of pocket vs. rental costs. Deferred depreciation and wear and tear of $200, but it's not paid out now (or maybe never), and when OP disposes of the vehicle, I doubt 248,000 or 252,000 or 253,000 is going to make a $200 difference by then.

For a long trip, if you want to treat yourself to an upgrade, it may not be that much more. Either is a good choice.
IMO

Post by IMO »

inbox788 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:06 pm
IMO wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:32 amNot sure how long you are going, but it might be worth looking at your actual depreciation for 4,000 miles and it might possibly be better financially to rent a car if you can find a good deal on rentals (perhaps even a larger car).
Depreciation for 4000 miles for a new or newer car is modest (0.15-0.25/mile lease excess mile charge), and rental companies seem willing to absorb it with their unlimited miles policies. Depreciation for 4000 miles for a car with over 100k miles is low to negligible.

Using above example, $50 oil change, $400 tires * 1/8 = $50, so $100 out of pocket vs. rental costs. Deferred depreciation and wear and tear of $200, but it's not paid out now (or maybe never), and when OP disposes of the vehicle, I doubt 248,000 or 252,000 or 253,000 is going to make a $200 difference by then.

For a long trip, if you want to treat yourself to an upgrade, it may not be that much more. Either is a good choice.
Yeah, but all the miles in life can add up quickly and next thing you know you're now needing a new car sooner vs. later. I don't really know if the typical person is able to get a car to 250,000 miles because commonly once one gets to 150,000 miles or even less the concern on this site is always "should I fix this car with 150,000 miles it or buy a new one?" For myself, the more years I can keep a car that is otherwise in good condition running before it wears out, the better sense it makes financially. Sometimes it's more about how many years of service I was able to use a particular car before it wears out vs. the actual mileage. Also putting massive miles on your car leads to the invariable question, "should I drive this car with XXX,000 miles on a long trip?"

Ironically, it often makes much more sense financially to fly 2000 miles vs. drive all things factored (like the motel/hotel and one's time).
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

For a vehicle of that age to have that number of miles, they almost had to be all highway miles, meaning that they are much less damaging than how vehicles are typically driven.

As long as all of the maintenance is current, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Uhhhh...that's pretty much brand new. I routinely drive long distances on a Toyota with twice the mileage and four times the years. If it breaks down there are plenty of people who can do repairs on a Corolla between Chicago and San Diego. New cars break down too.
Last edited by White Coat Investor on Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
White Coat Investor

carolinaman wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:06 am I would rent a car for the trip. Chances are your good would do fine but you never know. Also, if your car does breakdown, finding a reputable shop to repair is definitely more difficult than if you were at home, not to mention the delay. It might take days to fix it.
I've had repair work done on road trips twice. Once in Salt Lake (road trip from Tucson to Wyoming and back) and once in Mexico. Both were very easy to arrange and no more expensive than they would have been where I was living. Okay, I had to speak Spanish to get the repair in Mexico done, so maybe that was a little harder, but it was also half the price of doing it at home (and higher quality too.)

What do you guys think it is like out West? Don't you know there are stagecoach repair blacksmiths at every Pony Express stop?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

White Coat Investor wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:45 pm
carolinaman wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:06 am I would rent a car for the trip. Chances are your good would do fine but you never know. Also, if your car does breakdown, finding a reputable shop to repair is definitely more difficult than if you were at home, not to mention the delay. It might take days to fix it.
I've had repair work done on road trips twice. Once in Salt Lake (road trip from Tucson to Wyoming and back) and once in Mexico. Both were very easy to arrange and no more expensive than they would have been where I was living. Okay, I had to speak Spanish to get the repair in Mexico done, so maybe that was a little harder, but it was also half the price of doing it at home (and higher quality too.)

What do you guys think it is like out West? Don't you know there are stagecoach repair blacksmiths at every Pony Express stop?
As a counterpoint, someone I know recently completed a partly-cross-country round trip in a vehicle with about 180k miles. The car was checked over before the trip by a professional mechanic. Four separate repair incidents (all of which rendered the vehicle inoperative for any but very short distances) resulted in an extra eight travel days, some of which were hotel nights and luckily others spent at a relative. One of the repairs was not completed correctly and required some back-tracking on the trip. The final breakdown resulted in a diagnosis of nearly $2000. Ultimately the last 300 miles of the trip were completed by renting a U-haul truck and flatbed trailer to haul the vehicle home.
White Coat Investor

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:56 pm
White Coat Investor wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:45 pm

As a counterpoint, someone I know recently completed a partly-cross-country round trip in a vehicle with about 180k miles. The car was checked over before the trip by a professional mechanic. Four separate repair incidents (all of which rendered the vehicle inoperative for any but very short distances) resulted in an extra eight travel days, some of which were hotel nights and luckily others spent at a relative. One of the repairs was not completed correctly and required some back-tracking on the trip. The final breakdown resulted in a diagnosis of nearly $2000. Ultimately the last 300 miles of the trip were completed by renting a U-haul truck and flatbed trailer to haul the vehicle home.
That might be the worst travel story I've ever heard. Were all four of them really unrelated or just one problem that took multiple visits to correct?