Recommend 3 southern locales to retire!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Montgomery

Recommend 3 southern locales to retire!

Post by Montgomery » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:55 pm

Bogleheads:

I am interested in getting some feedback on retiring down south with the following criteria and hope you make suggestions:

1) decent cost of living (sliding scale I know but Please ruLe out the palm beaches of the world)
2) close to ocean
3) decent “community” where a transplanted northerner May be ok To fit in
4) safe
5) decent or better than average healthcare

Thanks and look forward to seeing what is posted!

AlohaJoe

Re: Recommend 3 southern locales to retire!

Post by AlohaJoe » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Cape Town, South Africa
Tasmania, Australia
Bali, Indonesia

Are three places South of the Equator that are close to ocean and where someone from the Northern Hemisphere would fit in.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Not sure what #3 is? First think I think of is politics. If you want a southern way of life, don’t do what you do in the north?

Palm coast fl
New Bern, NC
St. Simmons, GA

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:12 pm

AlohaJoe wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:08 pm
Cape Town, South Africa
Tasmania, Australia
Bali, Indonesia

Are three places South of the Equator that are close to ocean and where someone from the Northern Hemisphere would fit in.
:happy Cape Town is indeed one of the most stunningly beautiful places on earth. It’s got its share of problems, too.

alil

Post by alil » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:40 pm

Wilmington, NC

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Florida

RevFran

Post by RevFran » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:18 pm

How close to the ocean? durham Nc is terrific — a few hours from the beach and a few hours from mountains and wonderful in its own right.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:22 pm

Daphne, AL, immediately comes to my mind. It's right on the eastern edge of Mobile Bay and is a lovely town. It's close to Fairhope, which is probably one of the most beautiful Southern towns. It's also not too far from Mobile, Pensacola, and Montgomery. The cost of living is good.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:40 pm

oldfort wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:54 pm
Florida
Any particular cities

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:48 pm

Asheville, NC is nice if you prefer mountains to ocean. It's over 2000 feet so summer is somewhat mild by southern standards.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:53 pm

I would take a look at college towns. Many have a vibrant feel and a level of cultural and other offerings that exceed other towns their size.

setemupknockem

Post by setemupknockem » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:05 pm

Reluctant to share my retire spot.

Clearwater, FL.

I prefer gulf side of Florida. Nicer beaches, great sunsets, low jellyfish and shark levels, hasn't been hit directly by a major hurricane in long time. Inner part of Clearwater sits a decent amount over sea level.

Has great charming cities spread throughout. Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, Tarpon springs.

Close to 2 international airports for travel. (25 mins for Tampa about 90 for Orlando).

Traffic isn't terrible as other parts of Florida. Some long lights but my 86-year-old grandpa still gets around easily.

Spring training baseball, still has major sports if desired in Tampa.

Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:18 pm

No location suggestions, however being a transplanted "Northerner" myself, it's your attitude that might keep you from fitting in.

Brooklyn to Tn 27 yrs ago.

Clemblack

Post by Clemblack » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:46 pm

Beaufort, SC

vested1

Post by vested1 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:12 am

Chuck107 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:18 pm
No location suggestions, however being a transplanted "Northerner" myself, it's your attitude that might keep you from fitting in.

Brooklyn to Tn 27 yrs ago.
To be fair, and not political, it's both your own attitude and that of the locals. We moved from the west coast to a southern east coast state last year. When the locals found out we were from CA we were welcomed with open arms. We also heard numerous comments from locals, out of the blue, that if we were from the northeast, or anywhere in the north it would have been different. Regardless of where the OP is from however, I would arrive with hat in hand and an ability to adapt. Divorce yourself of preconceptions, which are largely mythical.

One more thing to consider when looking for a place to settle in the south near the ocean; the humidity at the coast is a killer, whereas it is much less of a factor further inland. If you want to live near water consider lake living for a lesser chance of hurricanes and less oppressive heat. Wherever you decide to go, visit frequently and rent first if at all possible.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:35 am

I was surprised to learn that most people in VA were not born here, I assume it is the same or approaching it in the rest of the south. As you consider the coast, keep in mind flooding, storms and so forth. Also the cost of flood insurance.

I would find out how often there is tidal flooding. I would not recommend the coast of VA; traffic in Hampton Roads is horrible. In Norfolk VA sea levels have risen by a foot in the last 80 years; when there is a high tide and rain, street flooding is so normal the city has put up vertical markers so folks know if it safe to drive to their homes when they can't see the road due to flooding. (Some of this is due to the area naturally sinking.) Its so bad, that at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, buildings are being reconstructed so that essential items such as computers, generators and so forth are on second floors.

Also consider storm resources. My father lived in a high rise in VA Beach. The views were beautiful. The storms were horrible. Imagine living in a high rise, coming back to check it out after a storm and having to climb 10 flights of stairs. After that ordeal, he would ride it out, carting sandbags from his storage unit up to the condo.

I am not sure you can rely on a real estate agent to give you this information.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:38 am

Humidity can be rough inland, too. When we want to escape it, we take a trip to the mountains. Elevation seems to reduce it more than just distance from the ocean.

Wherever you go, move your heart as well as your feet. Become as much of a local as possible, with local attitudes and outlook. If you find yourself saying (or thinking) "well, in xyzzy we did things differently," then you're living in the wrong place, and making yourself and those around you miserable.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

rob65

Post by rob65 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:08 am

It may not meet the close to the beach requirement (about a 6 hour drive to South Carolina beaches), but Atlanta or Athens, GA might be options. Atlanta is huge and sprawling, so you have to look at individual neighborhoods that have what you want.

Cost of living is reasonable. Georgia has very retiree friendly taxes once you reach age 65.

Lots of transplants in Atlanta and Athens is a University town. Don’t want to violate forum rules, but if there’s a red/blue issue, those are blue islands in a red sea, that is starting to have tinges of purple.

Fall, winter, and spring have great weather. Summer is Hades on Earth.

PoultryMan

Post by PoultryMan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:10 am

Clearwater is great

Hilton Head is great but the tourist season is difficult. Palmetto bugs are atrocious (Cockroaches on steroids)

St Augustine is nice

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:12 am

alil wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:40 pm
Wilmington, NC
+1. Wilmington is a great small city that has all you cited. It is located within a few miles of Wrightsville Beach and other beaches. It is a regional medical center for that part of NC. You are 2 to 3 hours from Raleigh and Charlotte should you want to visit a larger city or see major league sports. We thought very seriously about relocating to Wilmington upon retirement but decided to stay in place.

Charleston or its best suburb, Mt Pleasant, is another great choice. It is often rated one of the tourist destinations in the world but is also a great place to live. My daughter and family have bee there 25 years. We visit often and love the area. Despite its Southern charm, they have had a large influx of Northerners move there over past 20+ years, and you should have no trouble assimilating as long as you donot tell them how much greater things were back home.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:31 am

Mr. Rumples wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:35 am
I would not recommend the coast of VA; traffic in Hampton Roads is horrible. In Norfolk VA sea levels have risen by a foot in the last 80 years; when there is a high tide and rain, street flooding is so normal
+1

Same thing goes for some parts of Yorktown, Newport News and Hampton. Additionally, it doesn't snow enough or often enough for the locals to know how to drive in the stuff - an often heard complaint from come heres. Additional complaints from transplants are the tendency to close the schools due to a dusting of snow and / or the lack of adequate snow removal efforts for any accumulations above 1".
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:45 am

carolinaman wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:12 am
alil wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:40 pm
Wilmington, NC
+1. Wilmington is a great small city that has all you cited. It is located within a few miles of Wrightsville Beach and other beaches. It is a regional medical center for that part of NC. You are 2 to 3 hours from Raleigh and Charlotte should you want to visit a larger city or see major league sports. We thought very seriously about relocating to Wilmington upon retirement but decided to stay in place.

Charleston or its best suburb, Mt Pleasant, is another great choice. It is often rated one of the tourist destinations in the world but is also a great place to live. My daughter and family have bee there 25 years. We visit often and love the area. Despite its Southern charm, they have had a large influx of Northerners move there over past 20+ years, and you should have no trouble assimilating as long as you donot tell them how much greater things were back home.
+2 on Wilmington, NC.

We moved here from NH, after living in the Northeast all our lives. We live in a super quiet neighborhood on a golf course, but have 3 grocery stores, 2 pharmacies, and multiple restaurants within a mile of our house. We travel ~20 minutes to get to the beach, but that's because we go to a certain one where (a) we have a permit to park ON the beach, and (b)we like to bring our dog. Dogs aren't allowed on all beaches year-round. While Wrightsville Beach is the best known, there are other beaches with different atmosphere to them--Kure Beach for people who enjoy quiet, unspoiled beauty, Carolina Beach with a more "family" feel.

Our current house cost less than 10% more than our previous house, but has more than double the space, a pool, and backs up to a golf course. Obviously, your needs in retirement would be different (we have 4 kids, youngest two in HS).

My kids are involved with the arts. There's a ballet, a symphony, and other performing opportunities for them. UNCW is a couple miles away--my older son will be attending in the fall. The medical center is a Level 3 trauma center with world-class facilities.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:12 am

How important is #2 for you?
“There is no problem so bad you can’t make it worse.” - Chris Hatfield, Astronaut mantra

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:09 am

As coastal places to live are researched, I'd keep in mind the term subsidence. The southern Atlantic coastline of the US is sinking, in some areas its 1" a decade. This is separate from other causes of sea level rising...it is not my intention to go there...; its a natural event which is measurable. Some states like VA are starting to address it, others aren't. It is starting to affect property values in VA in a noticeable way from Norfolk to Matthews to Tangier.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:25 am

Mr. Rumples wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:09 am
As coastal places to live are researched, I'd keep in mind the term subsidence. The southern Atlantic coastline of the US is sinking, in some areas its 1" a decade. This is separate from other causes of sea level rising...it is not my intention to go there...; its a natural event which is measurable. Some states like VA are starting to address it, others aren't. It is starting to affect property values in VA in a noticeable way from Norfolk to Matthews to Tangier.
Yes; in my area the land is sinking and the water rising so the apparent rise is often twice the actual rise. The county south of me is now third largest (it used to be the largest, I think) and is projected to be #11. Some areas are unreachable with heavy vehicles now and will be totally cut off before long. Some farmland is disappearing due to saltwater intrusion before the water even gets to the property.

In my county, if you do a scrape down you must build the replacement 10 feet above the current level.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Surdelsur

Post by Surdelsur » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:30 am

If I lived in the US I would deffinetely take a look at communities around Tampa... really liked St Petes when visiting a couple of years ago...

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:53 am

Why the south in particular? Especially if you’re having qualms about the culture (#3)?

Do you have family or friends you want to be near? Then focus on that.

Do you want to do particular activities? Then focus on places where you can do them year round. Hint...much of the south is hot and humid in the summer. Do you actually want that?

Do you want a lower cost of living? There are lower COL places all over the country.

Do you want to be near medical care? Include that in your search.

My experience after spending the last several years traveling all over the country is that people are pretty nice everywhere. But if there are cultural differences, you’re the one that’ll need to adapt, not them.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:54 am

I feel sticky just reading this thread. That said we like the Keys, but it's a little tough to get in and out. Also not sure what the current state is given the hurricane that hit a few years ago.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:59 am

Does the OP want extra Covid with the retirement? FLA has some issues.

hudson

Post by hudson » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:14 am

Montgomery,
Ocean...Northerners accepted...safe....healthcare....

I would take a look at locations between Charleston, SC and Morehead City, NC.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wilmi ... 77.8868117

Everything that you are looking for is there.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:19 am

Live in different places.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:13 pm

In the US you have a choice between very humid but not too expensive places (southeast) and not humid but expensive (California).

CA has the best weather by far. I don't live there.

My parents had a place in GA. I thought it was unliveable much of the year because of heat and humidity (although they liked it). Be sure you can tolerate the weather before committing.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:35 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:13 pm
In the US you have a choice between very humid but not too expensive places (southeast) and not humid but expensive (California).
The Mountain time zone generically stated is the lower cost and less humidity solution, but mountain states are not at the coast and have colder winters (but not necessarily months of snow).

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:42 pm

The Woodlands, Texas (and surrounding areas).
  • It's north of Houston in Montgomery County, so it's away from the urban crime of Houston proper.
  • It's 30 minutes from a great international airport.
  • It has great hospitals, shopping, and restaurants.
  • It has a world-class outdoor amphitheater. Houston is only 45 minutes away for other theater and culture.
  • Galveston is less than 2 hours away. It has Gulf-coast beaches, a beach party town, and a cruise port.
-B

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:43 pm

Once you find a town (or towns) that you like, rent first before buying.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:46 pm

Just following the same discussion and do not want to hijack as well, do we have any states / cities with more sun say 10 months of sun and no frost ?

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:52 pm

I'll give my top 3 of places I have lived or close family that I spent much time with:

1. Charleston SC: beach is right there and Medical University of South Carolina University hospital in city proper. Pros - health care, low taxes, excellent healthcare, plenty of history, excellent restaurants, would recommend James Island just south of the city and Folly Beach just 20 min away. Cons - hot and very humid in the summer, bugs, not much else outside of Charleston, 2 hours to Columbia, about 3+ to Charleston or Asheville by interstate (did I mention bugs :). We lived there 9 years, friendly folks, plenty to do, you're in the hurricane zone so may have to evacuate however.

2. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC: about 2 hours to the beach about the same to the mountains, university towns (Univ of North Carolina, NC State, and another university, keep forgetting its name, oh yes, Duke (I'm a tar heel :) so lots to do; Chapel Hill and environs still has a small town feel, Pros - as above, plenty to do, I keep up with friends from my time there in the 90's but not from Charleston, excellent healthcare between UNC and Duke. Cons - yeah hot and humid but not as bad as Charleston, bugs better but those chiggers are intense, still a bit of a drive to the beach. I agree with Wilmington per above comments but look at a map and see that part of the East Coast sticking out so Wilmington is a bullseye for hurricanes. Our favorite beach is Topsail just north of Wilmington. Its clean/clear water opposed to Charleston that has multiple rivers entering the ocean so its a good bit murkier. I met my wife at UNC and spent 8 years there (and 6 prior to that in Charlotte). Plan to retire in a year or so back to Chapel Hill or close by.

3. Dunedin FL: Gulf Coast just north of Clearwater, still Pinnelas Co, My family has been there many years, mom and dad retired there. Pros - yeah lots to see and do, plenty of good health care, easy transportation in/out of TPA, plenty of retirees but a good mix with young families. Cons - yeah its hot and sticky, crowded, I think Hwy 19 is just as congested as Long Island, actually I think there are more New York'ers here than on Long Island :) Not as easy to drive to other places up north so need to travel by air. I lived in Lakeland about an hour east of Pinellas Co for 3 years, so experienced the FL thing,unlikely we'll go back to retire. Chose Dunedin due to it's proximity to water, and no high rises like Clearwater, well maybe one on the causeway to Honeymoon Beach. Still a hurricane threat being so close to the Gulf, but Tampa area has been very lucky and avoided a major strike in recent history.

of these places, RDU offers the most diversity and availability to get out and do things since it's more centrally located. I wouldn't recommend retiring to Wilmington unless one had another property or relatives/children not too far away to evacuate to. Our time in Charleston was nice, but we felt a bit isolated from family and even though we spend nearly a decade there do not have any enduring friendships.

Hope this helps, from someone who has spend most of my professional career in NC/SC/FL.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:56 pm

I'm not sure about healthcare, but here's a few:

1. Southport, NC
2. Bluffton, SC
3. Myrtle Beach, SC if you want an active lifestyle in a nice a 55+ community

Runner up: East coast of FL

Matigas

Post by Matigas » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:11 pm

radiowave wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:52 pm
I'll give my top 3 of places I have lived or close family that I spent much time with:

1. Charleston SC: beach is right there and Medical University of South Carolina University hospital in city proper. Pros - health care, low taxes, excellent healthcare, plenty of history, excellent restaurants, would recommend James Island just south of the city and Folly Beach just 20 min away. Cons - hot and very humid in the summer, bugs, not much else outside of Charleston, 2 hours to Columbia, about 3+ to Charleston or Asheville by interstate (did I mention bugs :). We lived there 9 years, friendly folks, plenty to do, you're in the hurricane zone so may have to evacuate however.

2. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC: about 2 hours to the beach about the same to the mountains, university towns (Univ of North Carolina, NC State, and another university, keep forgetting its name, oh yes, Duke (I'm a tar heel :) so lots to do; Chapel Hill and environs still has a small town feel, Pros - as above, plenty to do, I keep up with friends from my time there in the 90's but not from Charleston, excellent healthcare between UNC and Duke. Cons - yeah hot and humid but not as bad as Charleston, bugs better but those chiggers are intense, still a bit of a drive to the beach. I agree with Wilmington per above comments but look at a map and see that part of the East Coast sticking out so Wilmington is a bullseye for hurricanes. Our favorite beach is Topsail just north of Wilmington. Its clean/clear water opposed to Charleston that has multiple rivers entering the ocean so its a good bit murkier. I met my wife at UNC and spent 8 years there (and 6 prior to that in Charlotte). Plan to retire in a year or so back to Chapel Hill or close by.

3. Dunedin FL: Gulf Coast just north of Clearwater, still Pinnelas Co, My family has been there many years, mom and dad retired there. Pros - yeah lots to see and do, plenty of good health care, easy transportation in/out of TPA, plenty of retirees but a good mix with young families. Cons - yeah its hot and sticky, crowded, I think Hwy 19 is just as congested as Long Island, actually I think there are more New York'ers here than on Long Island :) Not as easy to drive to other places up north so need to travel by air. I lived in Lakeland about an hour east of Pinellas Co for 3 years, so experienced the FL thing,unlikely we'll go back to retire. Chose Dunedin due to it's proximity to water, and no high rises like Clearwater, well maybe one on the causeway to Honeymoon Beach. Still a hurricane threat being so close to the Gulf, but Tampa area has been very lucky and avoided a major strike in recent history.

of these places, RDU offers the most diversity and availability to get out and do things since it's more centrally located. I wouldn't recommend retiring to Wilmington unless one had another property or relatives/children not too far away to evacuate to. Our time in Charleston was nice, but we felt a bit isolated from family and even though we spend nearly a decade there do not have any enduring friendships.

Hope this helps, from someone who has spend most of my professional career in NC/SC/FL.
“God bless them Tar Heel Boys!”
Robert E. Lee

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:41 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:

My parents had a place in GA. I thought it was unliveable much of the year because of heat and humidity (although they liked it). Be sure you can tolerate the weather before committing.
California has a reputation of being expensive but still 40 million people live here, which is by 10 mil the most populous state. Can't be that expensive. Houses are expensive close to the beach, but there are plenty of places not on the beach that are reasonably priced. Also the property tax is capped at 1.3% by Prop 13.
The lack of large AC and heating bills also helps with the budget.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 pm

manatee2005 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:41 pm
adamthesmythe wrote:

California has a reputation of being expensive but still 40 million people live here, which is by 10 mil the most populous state. Can't be that expensive. Houses are expensive close to the beach, but there are plenty of places not on the beach that are reasonably priced. Also the property tax is capped at 1.3% by Prop 13.
Reasonably priced for a reason. It gets hotter as you move away from coast to the inland, dry though.

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:46 pm

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 pm
manatee2005 wrote:
adamthesmythe wrote:

Reasonably priced for a reason. It gets hotter as you move away from coast to the inland, dry though.
There's always a tradeoff. But I'd much rather live in a place like Temecula which is close to SD and OC than most places mentioned in this thread. I would avoid real inland places like Fresno and Modesto though.

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:08 am

manatee2005 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:46 pm
MathIsMyWayr wrote:
manatee2005 wrote:
adamthesmythe wrote:

There's always a tradeoff. But I'd much rather live in a place like Temecula which is close to SD and OC than most places mentioned in this thread. I would avoid real inland places like Fresno and Modesto though.
But Temecula real estate is still about twice as expensive as places like Wimington or Clearwater.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:40 am

Gulf Shores, AL
Pensacola, FL
Savannah, GA
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:53 am

FireProof wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:08 am
manatee2005 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:46 pm
MathIsMyWayr wrote:
manatee2005 wrote:
adamthesmythe wrote:

But Temecula real estate is still about twice as expensive as places like Wimington or Clearwater.
And worth every penny :-)

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:58 am

Mr. Rumples wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:35 am
I was surprised to learn that most people in VA were not born here, I assume it is the same or approaching it in the rest of the south. As you consider the coast, keep in mind flooding, storms and so forth. Also the cost of flood insurance.

I would find out how often there is tidal flooding. I would not recommend the coast of VA; traffic in Hampton Roads is horrible. In Norfolk VA sea levels have risen by a foot in the last 80 years; when there is a high tide and rain, street flooding is so normal the city has put up vertical markers so folks know if it safe to drive to their homes when they can't see the road due to flooding. (Some of this is due to the area naturally sinking.) Its so bad, that at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, buildings are being reconstructed so that essential items such as computers, generators and so forth are on second floors.

Also consider storm resources. My father lived in a high rise in VA Beach. The views were beautiful. The storms were horrible. Imagine living in a high rise, coming back to check it out after a storm and having to climb 10 flights of stairs. After that ordeal, he would ride it out, carting sandbags from his storage unit up to the condo.

I am not sure you can rely on a real estate agent to give you this information.
Why are there such severe storms in VA Beach? What is the purpose of sandbags on the 10th floor of a building?

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:05 am

adamthesmythe wrote:

Also humid and expensive in the North East. The weather in California is awful. Don't come here. :mrgreen:

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:11 am

manatee2005 wrote:
adamthesmythe wrote:

The AC bills are large in Sacramento and the Central Valley. CA also has the highest utility rates in the country.

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:12 am

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
manatee2005 wrote:
adamthesmythe wrote:

Exactly so.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:24 am

palanzo wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:05 am
adamthesmythe wrote:

Also humid and expensive in the North East. The weather in California is awful. Don't come here. :mrgreen:
Humid and biting insects during the summer months everywhere except the western US. :thumbsdown