Are 55+ Communities a Baby Boomer Thing Only? If so, who will buy when Boomers want to sell?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
HomerJ

Re: Are 55+ Communities a Baby Boomer Thing Only? If so, who will buy when Boomers want to sell?

Post by HomerJ »

Socrates wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:12 pm as someone who is 54 and 55 next year....I would never live in a 55+ community
why? It would be interesting to know why.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
HomerJ

Re: Are 55+ Communities a Baby Boomer Thing Only? If so, who will buy when Boomers want to sell?

Post by HomerJ »

tj wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:40 pm
HomerJ wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:42 pm
tj wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:17 pm
SwampDonkey wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:42 pm I'm a millennial (late 30's) and we recently toured and drove through the Villages in central Florida. Prior to the visit, my expectations were the "golden girls" tv show. In other words, my expectations were not high.

After our day there I jokingly told my wife I was ready to move in next week. We really liked what we saw and I would not hesitate to move there in the future depending on our life circumstances.
What was appealing about it?
We have some friends who retired to the Villages. We visited them for a weekend to check it out.

They have clubs for everything, at all skill levels. They have 17 softball leagues. Not 17 teams. 17 LEAGUES, for all skill levels. They offer all kinds of classes daily. They have travel clubs, and cooking clubs, yoga clubs, etc. etc. Poker tournaments every month caught my eye.

Each "Village" has a town center with live music every night, surrounded by various restaurants and bars and theaters. Plenty of walking and biking trails, and most people use golf carts to get around.

Everyone is from somewhere else originally, and moved there to meet people and join a community.

Seemed very nice. But Florida is humid, and has bugs and hurricanes.

So we're thinking more towards a similar community in Phoenix.
I live in Phoenix, I haven't heard of anything like that- Phoenix is so spread out. I know there's some Sun City type communities but they are really out in the boonies.
Yes, we're looking at living in the "boonies"... That's the advantage of being retired... You no longer care about the commute. There's a ton of 55+ communities in Phoenix

Check out Trilogy communities in Phoenix

http://arizona-active-adult-community.c ... mmunities/
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

It's easy to overlook the fact if you're GenX, Millenial, etc...that 55+ communities will not be filled with Boomers when you are age qualified to live there.

They will be filled with your contemporaries with all the same shared generational experiences.
ADAMNOGGI

Post by ADAMNOGGI »

RickyGold wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:27 am Hello,

I am a first-time poster to this forum, and I have a question about 55+ communities, also known as "active adult" or "age restricted" communities.

My wife and I are in our late 50's, and we are seriously considering buying a house in a 55+ community in North Carolina to be closer to family.

One concern we have is as follows: Let's say one day we decide to sell our age-restricted home when we are in our 70s or 80s...will there be any buyers out there?

People our age in the "baby boomer" generation will probably be selling their homes like we would be doing, and the Millennials won't be old enough to buy into a 55+ community....and who knows if Millennials would even want to live in an age-restricted community anyway?

So the question is: Are 55+ communities too much of a baby boomer niche market that re-sale is problematic when the baby boomers age out or die out?

Curious as to what Boglehead's think about this!!
I wont comment on the advisability of moving into a 55+ community because my thinking is colored by my age of 94 and I live alone in a small neighborhood of a mix of ages from me down to 8 year olds. I'm independent and love it. I realize that is probably an exception.

I do think that I would postpone any decision or action until post pandemic era. It is difficult to say what exactly will change, but living arrangements may be something that changes. We are in the midst of a Black Swan event and I think that is justification enough to "hold what you"ve got" until the weather clears.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

ADAMNOGGI wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:47 am
I do think that I would postpone any decision or action until post pandemic era. It is difficult to say what exactly will change, but living arrangements may be something that changes. We are in the midst of a Black Swan event and I think that is justification enough to "hold what you"ve got" until the weather clears.
I think waiting is good advice. A high percentage of people still seem to be assuming life will return to "normal", but nobody knows what will happen.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

HomerJ wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:29 pm
SwampDonkey wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:42 pm I'm a millennial (late 30's) and we recently toured and drove through the Villages in central Florida. Prior to the visit, my expectations were the "golden girls" tv show. In other words, my expectations were not high.

After our day there I jokingly told my wife I was ready to move in next week. We really liked what we saw and I would not hesitate to move there in the future depending on our life circumstances.
We have some friends who retired to the Villages. We visited them for a weekend to check it out.

They have clubs for everything, at all skill levels. They have 17 softball leagues. Not 17 teams. 17 LEAGUES, for all skill levels. They offer all kinds of classes daily. They have travel clubs, and cooking clubs, yoga clubs, etc. etc. Poker tournaments every month caught my eye.

Each "Village" has a town center with live music every night, surrounded by various restaurants and bars and theaters. Plenty of walking and biking trails, and most people use golf carts to get around.

Everyone is from somewhere else originally, and moved there to meet people and join a community.

I live in Phoenix, I haven't heard of anything like that- Phoenix is so spread out. I know there's some Sun City type communities but they are really out in the boonies.
Yes, we're looking at living in the "boonies"... That's the advantage of being retired... You no longer care about the commute. There's a ton of 55+ communities in Phoenix

Well, it depends on what you mean by "boonies." What I've seen is that what used to be the daily commute to work turns into the almost-daily commute to an array of doctors and medical facilities. No, not necessarily at 55, but later, if you're buying what you plan to be your last residence. And having the grocery store half a mile away vs. five miles can matter at some point.
delamer

Post by delamer »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:00 pm
delamer wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:59 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:51 am
LunaLauren wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:27 am And if you haven't been in one, it is worth going for a tour. Pretty much everyone I have been in have floor plans (exterior architecture? not so much:)) to die for. You just don't see 1500-2000 sq ft house built like that anymore in most of the country.

Do you mind detailing why the floor plans are to die for? I am not familiar with 1500-2000 square foot houses in most of the country. Thanks.
I’m also not sure why empty nesters would want to take care of a 2000 sq ft house.
It just isn’t much work. A couple hours a week at most. And a robo vac helps.

It beats sharing walls with strangers.
It isn't just vacuuming and cleaning, although I gave up the idea of adding a bathroom because I didn't want to be stuck cleaning another bathroom. There's also the cost. Bigger houses cost more to maintain, heat, cool, insure, and pay taxes on. If I don't actually need the space, I have better things to spend that money on.

There are plenty of single family homes in my (non-55+) neighborhood that are less than 1500 sf (plenty are larger, too). And there seems to be no shortage of people willing to buy them. The little houses sell for a higher price per square foot than the bigger ones.
Sure, if you don’t want the added expenses that come with a larger home then you shouldn’t buy one.

But my statement was in response to another poster’s comment that s/he didn’t understand why 55+ people would want to take on the maintenance of a larger home. It wasn’t about costs.

And if you are spending more than 15 minutes a week cleaning a bathroom, then you need to rethink your cleaning routine.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

TresBelle65 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:25 pm I'm guessing there is a certain percentage who don't plan to move after that - so the 55+ becomes their last permanent home? presumably these places are surrounded by services typically needed by seniors and the elderly?

Where to 80 somethings go after a 55+ community? to live with adult children or a relative? to a nursing facility?
Consider Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC). The plan is to enter when you are still in good health, maybe in upper 70's. Stay in an independent living unit, maybe apartment, maybe a cottage. Dinner/lunch is provided, housekeeping, etc. Lots of activities etc. High buy-in price, and fairly high monthly cost. But, if/when you need more support, you can move to assisted living, or SNF with no increase in cost. This is typical for a Type A community, other financial models exist. Sometimes the buy-in price is refundable to some extent when "leaving." There are threads on this.

DW and I are in a nice CCRC in the Boston area. Been here a year. Moved from MidWest to be closer to kids. Currently in low 80's.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:57 am

Well, it depends on what you mean by "boonies." What I've seen is that what used to be the daily commute to work turns into the almost-daily commute to an array of doctors and medical facilities. No, not necessarily at 55, but later, if you're buying what you plan to be your last residence. And having the grocery store half a mile away vs. five miles can matter at some point.
Yeah, it's not the "boonies". It's on the outskirts of Phoenix, but it's still part of Phoenix. There are plenty of grocery stores and restaurants close by, and if one wants to drive 30-45 minutes occasionally, you can get to downtown and see a game, or a show, etc.

There is a hospital like 2 minutes away as well... :)
tj

Post by tj »

I'm curious about the cottages that people have referenced - I currently live in a cooperative. There are apartments and townhouses, but the environment is really toxic and I wondered if it's because the majority of the residents are retired with nothing better to do with their time but argue and gossip. Would a true 55+ community be less like that because of all the activities and stuff?

I like living in small spaces and I'd prefer not sharing walls, but I also want to live close to things to do, thus far in my life I've settled on apartment/condo style living. The only places i know with small houses are really old houses and they aren't cheap, presumably because te older settlements are closer to attractions and more desirable location.
jsh

Post by jsh »

I have three observations: 1 - My wife and I enjoy being around children, "the cycle of life", so to speak. 2 - We shopped a 55+ community where we loved the floorplans. But then we ran into a couple who said their parents bought into one, and it was fun for 10 years, but much less so when everyone started dying off. 3 - I do believe the values will fall as we baby boomers die off. We are at the tail end. For us, #1 was most important. It's a very personal decision. John H.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

jsh wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:54 pm I have three observations: 1 - My wife and I enjoy being around children, "the cycle of life", so to speak. 2 - We shopped a 55+ community where we loved the floorplans. But then we ran into a couple who said their parents bought into one, and it was fun for 10 years, but much less so when everyone started dying off. 3 - I do believe the values will fall as we baby boomers die off. We are at the tail end. For us, #1 was most important. It's a very personal decision. John H.
I guess I don't understand what "being around children" means. If you mean actual children, like under 18, consider that this is 2020: you can't communicate with them; you can't get close to them; and even just looking at them from a distance is going be viewed as suspicious.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Rick Ferri wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:31 pm My wife and I live in an over-55 single-family home community in Georgetown, TX. We purchased our first home here two years ago, then decided it wasn't exactly what we wanted, so we sold that home (in five days) and recently moved into a home we had built.

So far so good! I like to play pickleball, and there are a lot of good players in the development. Do I care what this house sells for when I'm 90 years old and ready for the nursing home? Not in the least.

Rick Ferri
Definitely a reasonable and practical way of looking at things!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

RudyS wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:38 pm
TresBelle65 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:25 pm I'm guessing there is a certain percentage who don't plan to move after that - so the 55+ becomes their last permanent home? presumably these places are surrounded by services typically needed by seniors and the elderly?

Where to 80 somethings go after a 55+ community? to live with adult children or a relative? to a nursing facility?
Consider Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC). The plan is to enter when you are still in good health, maybe in upper 70's. Stay in an independent living unit, maybe apartment, maybe a cottage. Dinner/lunch is provided, housekeeping, etc. Lots of activities etc. High buy-in price, and fairly high monthly cost. But, if/when you need more support, you can move to assisted living, or SNF with no increase in cost. This is typical for a Type A community, other financial models exist. Sometimes the buy-in price is refundable to some extent when "leaving." There are threads on this.

DW and I are in a nice CCRC in the Boston area. Been here a year. Moved from MidWest to be closer to kids. Currently in low 80's.
That is the place you buy into after living it up for the previous 20 years in the 55 and up community.:) Both serve a purpose. Now some of the CCRC communties start young and let you keep on aging all the way up. There are pluses and minuses to that approach. It is hard to figure out what your needs will be in 20 years.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

The first 55+ age-restricted community opened in 1954 (Youngtown, AZ; it's east side borders the much larger Sun City).

These are far from being just a "Boomer" thing.
They wouldn't have been building these places for over 60 years if there hadn't been interest.

I think it's customary for younger people to say "people in my generation would never do that".
And then in 30 years, it gradually has more appeal. :oops:
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth »

I'm a millennial, and my in-laws live in a 55+ community. The houses are nice, well maintained, and they have a pretty active social life with people around their age that have similar interests (book clubs, televised sports, a wine tasting group, etc.). The HOA fees are high, but they also enjoy low taxes since it was set up in an area without a big school system.

I could easily imagine myself enjoying a similar living situation once the kids are out of the house and I'm fully retired, and I imagine that there are plenty of other Millennial (or Gen Z) folks who might think the same once they start pushing retirement age.

These communities have existed for a long time. There have always been people aging out, and another crop of retirees aging in. That said, I wouldn't think of them as a long-term investment, but as a well-priced option for people who are looking to age in place surrounded by similarly-aged people.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

JonnyB wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:26 pm
28fe6 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:08 pm So far nobody asked--what is a 55+ community?
I've heard it described as a place where old people tired of living in the real world go to die.
Maybe whomever you heard that from was actually describing a nursing home. That certainly does not describe my 36,000 resident community with $300,000,000+ of every recreational amenity you can imagine, where people were (before covid19 ) able to keep busy from 6AM to 9PM, should they desire, and many do. Methinks whomever you heard such a ridiculous statement from was confused or envious; certainly not accurate.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:42 pm
TheDDC wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:20 pm These communities are total boomer things. Not something millennial folks like DW and I would plan to take part in. Most “retirement community” type places they exist today (including CCRCs) will not exist for the next generation who really does not have the disposable income to buy in for one thing. The other is the culture is different.

-TheDDC
Well I am a boomer and want to move into a 55+ condo. Why? My recent condo complex is being populated with young adults who like bass heavy music during a good portion of the day.

The condo I like has beautiful grounds with walking paths and great assortment of trees. Also a good amount of space, central air, 1 bedroom, den, decent kitchen, laundry room and a 3 season porch... common amenities include underground parking, greenhouse, woodworking shop, pool and exercise area. HOA is high but the maintenance of amenities needs to be paid for.

I would be glad to have a quieter life.
Interested in hearing how those costly amenities are working out during this pandemic. Hope you are getting a refund. Are they at least providing free masks?

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
tj

Post by tj »

littlebird wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:30 pm
28fe6 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:08 pm So far nobody asked--what is a 55+ community?
I've heard it described as a place where old people tired of living in the real world go to die.
Maybe whomever you heard that from was actually describing a nursing home. That certainly does not describe my 36,000 resident community with $300,000,000+ of every recreational amenity you can imagine, where people were (before covid19 ) able to keep busy from 6AM to 9PM, should they desire, and many do. Methinks whomever you heard such a ridiculous statement from was confused or envious; certainly not accurate.
I was surprised to see just how many communities there are out here after one of the other comments. There's even a Leisure World!
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

Just FWIW, I remember back a couple of decades ago when the financial concern of, "Once the "WW2 Baby Boomers" retire, who will be there to buy all of their homes----won't the housing market crash?" was a popular topic of discussion and concern. It turned-out not to be an issue and, I suspect, it will not be an issue with the future sale of property in retirement communities.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

In my "55+" community, people can buy in at 45, if they purchase from the builder. Its surprising how many people buy here in their 40s.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

tj wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:53 am
littlebird wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:30 pm
I was surprised to see just how many communities there are out here after one of the other comments. There's even a Leisure World!
I like Leisure World. A friend's mom lives there, so we were able to go with her to a free concert at the on-site outdoor amphitheater--a cover band for Creedence Clearwater Revival. It was a fun crowd--there was even a special area to the right of the stage for people who wanted to dance.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

TheDDC wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:06 am
TheDDC wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:20 pm These communities are total boomer things. Not something millennial folks like DW and I would plan to take part in. Most “retirement community” type places they exist today (including CCRCs) will not exist for the next generation who really does not have the disposable income to buy in for one thing. The other is the culture is different.

-TheDDC
Well I am a boomer and want to move into a 55+ condo. Why? My recent condo complex is being populated with young adults who like bass heavy music during a good portion of the day.

The condo I like has beautiful grounds with walking paths and great assortment of trees. Also a good amount of space, central air, 1 bedroom, den, decent kitchen, laundry room and a 3 season porch... common amenities include underground parking, greenhouse, woodworking shop, pool and exercise area. HOA is high but the maintenance of amenities needs to be paid for.

Interested in hearing how those costly amenities are working out during this pandemic. Hope you are getting a refund. Are they at least providing free masks?

-TheDDC
I don’t live there. I assume common areas require masks indoors as required by my state..
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

tj wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:11 pm I'm curious about the cottages that people have referenced - I currently live in a cooperative. There are apartments and townhouses, but the environment is really toxic and I wondered if it's because the majority of the residents are retired with nothing better to do with their time but argue and gossip. Would a true 55+ community be less like that because of all the activities and stuff?

I like living in small spaces and I'd prefer not sharing walls, but I also want to live close to things to do, thus far in my life I've settled on apartment/condo style living. The only places i know with small houses are really old houses and they aren't cheap, presumably because te older settlements are closer to attractions and more desirable location.
Some, if not many,55+ communities consist of smaller single family houses on smaller lots, intended to appeal to people who have downsized from larger homes, do not have children living at home, prefer not to have shared walls, and who want their monthly assessments to address lawn care, snow removal, and maintenance of the common areas.

Such communities often include one or more clubhouse buildings containing gym facilities, meeting rooms, theater spaces, libraries, golf simulators,and other amenities. You might find what you're looking for in such an environment, especially in a newer development built to contemporary tastes.
tj

Post by tj »

GmanJeff wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:26 am
tj wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:11 pm I'm curious about the cottages that people have referenced - I currently live in a cooperative. There are apartments and townhouses, but the environment is really toxic and I wondered if it's because the majority of the residents are retired with nothing better to do with their time but argue and gossip. Would a true 55+ community be less like that because of all the activities and stuff?

Some, if not many,55+ communities consist of smaller single family houses on smaller lots, intended to appeal to people who have downsized from larger homes, do not have children living at home, prefer not to have shared walls, and who want their monthly assessments to address lawn care, snow removal, and maintenance of the common areas.

Such communities often include one or more clubhouse buildings containing gym facilities, meeting rooms, theater spaces, libraries, golf simulators,and other amenities. You might find what you're looking for in such an environment, especially in a newer development built to contemporary tastes.
I'm only 35 though. Do these types of developments exist in all age communities?
spectec

Post by spectec »

protagonist wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:32 am
HomerJ wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:12 am
protagonist wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:28 am
alfaspider wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:27 am

But in seriousness, I think the idea isn't that people assume all the residents do is sit around and play bingo. It's more the idea of walling yourself off with a bunch of similarly situated people to do nothing but mindless leisure pursuits. Sounds nice enough for a 2 week vacation, but incredibly boring as a long term lifestyle.
Precisely the reason that at age 68 I love living in a college town. As a 19 year old with purple hair taught me when I was in my early 30s, "you have to stay contemporary or you start growing moss".

To add to that is how depressing it must be to know that you , realistically, probably don't have many years to live, and be constantly reminded when a neighbor has a stroke or when your tennis partner dies. My stepfather found that particularly depressing when he lived in one of those communities (he was in his 70s at the time). Numerous times he would be playing cards with somebody one day, and the next day that person is in a wheelchair or he never sees him again.
But he was playing cards.

If he was 70-something in a normal community with a bunch of 35-year olds who are busy with kids and jobs, how many card games would he actually be playing?

Would he be happier sitting home alone every night, just so he doesn't have to be reminded that people get sick and die?
Clearly there is something for everybody. A person who loves living in NYC would probably hate living in the rural midwest and vice versa.

I have no idea how many card games he would be playing in what you call a "normal community". I do believe, having lived in many diverse places, that it is pretty easy to find an "affinity group" wherever you are. Whether you do or not, and whether you wind up "sitting home alone every night", is likely more a matter of your own personality than where you happen to live.

But communities that are deliberately less diverse by nature (such as due to age limitations in this case) can be quite insular, and in a world that is constantly changing and one's abilities to adapt to its changes (especially as one ages and one's cognitive abilities may decline) is important to avoid becoming "a stranger in a strange land". Many can do so wherever they live, but others may not be as successful.
You offer some interesting observations. However, my experience has been that this 55+ community is the opposite of insular. As a matter of fact, within a few weeks I knew more of my neighbors here than I did when we lived in the previous home for 17 years. I expect that we are not unique and many 55+ communities are very intentional about keeping neighbors connected and engaged. And of course the exit gate always works, so we are free to leave and go to the same social events and activities we enjoyed before moving here.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

spectec wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:31 am
protagonist wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:32 am
HomerJ wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:12 am
protagonist wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:28 am
alfaspider wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:27 am

But in seriousness, I think the idea isn't that people assume all the residents do is sit around and play bingo. It's more the idea of walling yourself off with a bunch of similarly situated people to do nothing but mindless leisure pursuits. Sounds nice enough for a 2 week vacation, but incredibly boring as a long term lifestyle.
Precisely the reason that at age 68 I love living in a college town. As a 19 year old with purple hair taught me when I was in my early 30s, "you have to stay contemporary or you start growing moss".

To add to that is how depressing it must be to know that you , realistically, probably don't have many years to live, and be constantly reminded when a neighbor has a stroke or when your tennis partner dies. My stepfather found that particularly depressing when he lived in one of those communities (he was in his 70s at the time). Numerous times he would be playing cards with somebody one day, and the next day that person is in a wheelchair or he never sees him again.
But he was playing cards.

If he was 70-something in a normal community with a bunch of 35-year olds who are busy with kids and jobs, how many card games would he actually be playing?

Would he be happier sitting home alone every night, just so he doesn't have to be reminded that people get sick and die?
Clearly there is something for everybody. A person who loves living in NYC would probably hate living in the rural midwest and vice versa.

I have no idea how many card games he would be playing in what you call a "normal community". I do believe, having lived in many diverse places, that it is pretty easy to find an "affinity group" wherever you are. Whether you do or not, and whether you wind up "sitting home alone every night", is likely more a matter of your own personality than where you happen to live.

But communities that are deliberately less diverse by nature (such as due to age limitations in this case) can be quite insular, and in a world that is constantly changing and one's abilities to adapt to its changes (especially as one ages and one's cognitive abilities may decline) is important to avoid becoming "a stranger in a strange land". Many can do so wherever they live, but others may not be as successful.
You offer some interesting observations. However, my experience has been that this 55+ community is the opposite of insular. As a matter of fact, within a few weeks I knew more of my neighbors here than I did when we lived in the previous home for 17 years. I expect that we are not unique and many 55+ communities are very intentional about keeping neighbors connected and engaged. And of course the exit gate always works, so we are free to leave and go to the same social events and activities we enjoyed before moving here.
I'm not surprised. In a prior post I modified my comments by writing, "If you note, I deliberately prefaced everything I said by "my anecdotal experience is...". I didn't want to give the opinion that I speak for everyone. I would not be surprised if there were communities that did not resemble the model I presented. That is something that one should keep in mind when reading other people's opinions as well. They are mostly (if not all) opinions or anecdotes, and everybody is different."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post discussing the population breakdown of a large community by race, implying an inequality (sowing dissension). As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

LunaLauren wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:37 pm I realize this can vary by community, but I assume most 55+ communities maintain the green space in common areas - and individual homeowners are left to take care of their own grass/shrubbery/weeds?
Most communities usually take care of the grass shrubs and weeds. Though if you hate the sight of weeds in your landscape beds you may have to pull or spray a few on your own.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

wfrobinette wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:11 am
LunaLauren wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:37 pm I realize this can vary by community, but I assume most 55+ communities maintain the green space in common areas - and individual homeowners are left to take care of their own grass/shrubbery/weeds?
Most communities usually take care of the grass shrubs and weeds. Though if you hate the sight of weeds in your landscape beds you may have to pull or spray a few on your own.
At a new community development that I visited earlier this year, they also take care of the watering of the lawns using underground sprinklers controlled at a central location. I am guessing the water bill for the lawn sprinklers is part of the HOA fee.

go_mets

Post by go_mets »

tj wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:11 pm I like living in small spaces and I'd prefer not sharing walls, but I also want to live close to things to do, thus far in my life I've settled on apartment/condo style living. The only places i know with small houses are really old houses and they aren't cheap, presumably because te older settlements are closer to attractions and more desirable location.
Where do you live?

Around me the newer 55+ communities can be as small as duplex about 1500 square foot with one car garage to a 3000+ square foot single family house next near a golf course.
tj

Post by tj »

go_mets wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:26 am
tj wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:11 pm I like living in small spaces and I'd prefer not sharing walls, but I also want to live close to things to do, thus far in my life I've settled on apartment/condo style living. The only places i know with small houses are really old houses and they aren't cheap, presumably because te older settlements are closer to attractions and more desirable location.
Where do you live?

Around me the newer 55+ communities can be as small as duplex about 1500 square foot with one car garage to a 3000+ square foot single family house next near a golf course.
I'm in the Phoenix area. I can't go to an age restricted community because I'm in my mid 30s.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

tj wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:43 am
go_mets wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:26 am
Where do you live?

I'm in the Phoenix area. I can't go to an age restricted community because I'm in my mid 30s.
You've got a ways to go.
Being where you are, I am fairly certain you will have lots of options.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

go_mets wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:23 am
wfrobinette wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:11 am
At a new community development that I visited earlier this year, they also take care of the watering of the lawns using underground sprinklers controlled at a central location. I am guessing the water bill for the lawn sprinklers is part of the HOA fee.

Probably. My Mom and Dad's Del Webb community in Indiana does that too!

Along with Tennis courts, Bocce courts, outdoor pool, 4 or 5 lane indoor pool, exercise facility, exercise classes, etc.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

HomerJ wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:10 pm
tibbitts wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:57 am

Yeah, it's not the "boonies". It's on the outskirts of Phoenix, but it's still part of Phoenix. There are plenty of grocery stores and restaurants close by, and if one wants to drive 30-45 minutes occasionally, you can get to downtown and see a game, or a show, etc.

There is a hospital like 2 minutes away as well... :)
Sometimes people overlook the importance of having an ER and EMTs nearby.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

-TheDDC

-TheDDC
How do think it's working out? And refunds are not likely.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

wfrobinette wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:45 am

-TheDDC

-TheDDC
At MIL's facility (Independent, Assisted, Skilled Nursing, and Memory Care), almost all of the non-essential "extras" are "off" for now, such as the pool; the open restaurant is closed (even the "inside restaurants" are closed; all meals are served in apartments now); activities such as art are not happening; movies/concerts/lectures are now online only; etc.

But... it's the same "out here", too. Our public libraries are closed (e-books still available for download), pools are closed, sit-down restaurants are closed as well, there are no concerts/lectures/movies, and even essential town business (permits, etc.) are either online/telephone, or picked up by appointment only, etc. And any essential meetings are virtual.
But we don't get a refund on our "fees" (aka taxes, etc.).

My point is that it's not really fair (not that anything at all is "fair" these days...) to dump on any specific type of community whose regular services/facilities are in some sort of hiatus.

Unfortunately, times are not normal.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:06 pm

-TheDDC

-TheDDC
At MIL's facility (Independent, Assisted, Skilled Nursing, and Memory Care), almost all of the non-essential "extras" are "off" for now, such as the pool; the open restaurant is closed (even the "inside restaurants" are closed; all meals are served in apartments now); activities such as art are not happening; movies/concerts/lectures are now online only; etc.

But... it's the same "out here", too. Our public libraries are closed (e-books still available for download), pools are closed, sit-down restaurants are closed as well, there are no concerts/lectures/movies, and even essential town business (permits, etc.) are either online/telephone, or picked up by appointment only, etc. And any essential meetings are virtual.
But we don't get a refund on our "fees" (aka taxes, etc.).

My point is that it's not really fair (not that anything at all is "fair" these days...) to dump on any specific type of community whose regular services/facilities are in some sort of hiatus.

Unfortunately, times are not normal.

RM
100% correct answer.
Mako

Post by Mako »

TheDDC wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:06 am Interested in hearing how those costly amenities are working out during this pandemic. Hope you are getting a refund. Are they at least providing free masks?

-TheDDC
If I were on the Board of one I'd certainly explore lowering assessments next year if costs were way down this year and we "profited" a lot more than expected. If the pool and clubhouse are closed then employee and utility expenses might be way down, unless there were fixed contracts for things. Or this might be a good year to shore up reserves if they'd gotten behind.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Mako wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:16 pm
TheDDC wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:06 am Interested in hearing how those costly amenities are working out during this pandemic. Hope you are getting a refund. Are they at least providing free masks?

-TheDDC
If I were on the Board of one I'd certainly explore lowering assessments next year if costs were way down this year and we "profited" a lot more than expected. If the pool and clubhouse are closed then employee and utility expenses might be way down, unless there were fixed contracts for things. Or this might be a good year to shore up reserves if they'd gotten behind.
I don't live in a 55+ and I'm not on the board but our community is 1000 homes. No lawn service either. Our biggest line item expense by far is maintaining the common areas lawns and landscaping. Pools were about 3rd on the list. Pools still have to be maintained and building still have to be maintained as well. There are many projects that don't make the budget each year as well. I looked at our pool line item(we have 2 and ours has been open since early June with limited capacity) at its costs each home less than $100 a year to operate. Some people were clamoring for refunds for the delayed opening and are still furious they won't open up our two workout facilities. At best we save 30-35k(or $30 per home) in expenses and may extend the life of the gym equipment by a year. We only collect 785k a year. We have no employees either, its all volunteer. We do subcontract out lifeguards and the snack shack at the pool.

I suspect boards are very reluctant to lower fees as they will need to be raised again once everything opens. They are either going to approve a project that was cut or build up the reserves a bit. If this goes on for more than this year, I would expect a rebate .
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

DW and I live within a planned community that currently has about 2850 residences (we’re still growing) divided into approximately 50 “neighborhoods”. Two of these neighborhoods are exclusively for residents who are 55+. Houses in these neighborhoods start at about 2100 square feet and go over 3000 square feet. The rest of the community homes range from apartment style condominiums up to large custom homes over 6000 square feet. We even have senior and assisted living facilities within the community, so no need to leave in the future.

The 55+ neighborhoods have their own pools and clubhouses, but they can also use amenities throughout the rest of the community. Lawn service is provided in both of the 55+ communities. In one of them, the condo fees cover expenses for everything outside the residence walls, including costs for home residing and roofs. With the shared amenities, and well over 100 clubs in the general community, people who live in the 55+ neighborhoods are able to interact with others to the extent they desire, or not. From personal observation, I don’t see the popularity, or lack of popularity, of our 55+ neighborhoods being based on any particular generation, it’s just personal preference.

The community pools are open, but only by reserving a lane for up to an hour at a time. Lanes can be reserved and used by immediate family members, otherwise, the reservations are for individual persons. The ocean is only about two miles away as the pigeon flies, and nearby beaches (with restrictions due to Covid-19) are open. The community tennis courts and golf courses (which are open to the general public) are open, with longer than usual gaps between tee times. Yoga, physical fitness classes, and a number of club meetings are being conducted via Zoom. I just wish there was some way we could still play bunco.

Our Home Owner’s Association (HOA) has not mentioned any reductions in our assessments due to Covid-19. However, due to minimal snowfall over the past two winters, we did receive substantial reductions in HOA fees for both years during the months of June and July.
To be truthful, I wish the HOA had just banked the reductions in a rainy day fund, but I don’t think it is allowed.
ThatsMyFamJam

Post by ThatsMyFamJam »

I'd be wary of buying into any HOA community. I've seen pleasant co-existence be shattered by that one high-maintenance resident or opportunist.

I've also seen planned communities look tired after 2-3 decades.

Finances (reserves) and the property have to be well-managed over time for people to want to buy later in the cycle. Volunteer board members, despite good faith efforts, sometimes don't know what they are doing.

There are cities that are walkable and have amenities for all age groups. Where I live, the city has a lot of free and low-cost programs for 55+, including shuttles, movies, day trips and classes (all shut down now during pandemic, except for pool, pickle ball and tennis).

I've read people are starting to build communities of "tiny homes" or smaller, sustainable, minimal-upkeep SFRs, that appeal to 20s-30s, but could also appeal to the 55+ set. As more people move in, amenities could be supported by tax revenues.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

ThatsMyFamJam wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 pm I've read people are starting to build communities of "tiny homes" or smaller, sustainable, minimal-upkeep SFRs, that appeal to 20s-30s, but could also appeal to the 55+ set. As more people move in, amenities could be supported by tax revenues.
Almost none of the tiny homes I've seen appeal to older people - the whole loft-sleeping thing is a broken hip waiting to happen.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

My brother lives in Pebble Creek in Goodyear, a few miles west of downtown Phoenix. I think 5000 residents plus a sister community of similar size nearby. Several golf courses, restaurants, exercise facilities, multiple pools, clubs galore, speakers coming in. Lots of good stuff.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

ThatsMyFamJam wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 pm
I've read people are starting to build communities of "tiny homes" or smaller, sustainable, minimal-upkeep SFRs, that appeal to 20s-30s, but could also appeal to the 55+ set. As more people move in, amenities could be supported by tax revenues.
Tiny homes are at a high level very niche. Unless you need mobility (most of them are trailers) or are avoiding zone laws, it would be cheaper to build a normal 800-1000 sq ft house versus trying to shove everything into 300 sq ft.
ThatsMyFamJam

Post by ThatsMyFamJam »

I can see 300 SF wouldn't fly with most. Smaller homes, like 800-1000 SF mentioned, could be appealing to a broad enough swath, if well-designed. There may be enough minimalist, FI, sustainable-environment and Marie Kondo adherents out there as well as 55+ who are done with accumulating stuff.