Speakers for basement

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kenoryan

Speakers for basement

Post by kenoryan »

I live in Wisconsin. We spend a lot of time indoors in the winter. We just moved to this new house and we are getting the basement finished. We are doing 1800 sq feet. There’s going to be a huge bar and a 77 inch LG TV on the long wall in addition to a bedroom and a nice bathroom. We are excited to watch TV downstairs. I’m wondering if I should buy some kind of speakers for this TV. I’m looking at Bose and they have a lifestyle system. We are not that much into music and stuff but I wouldn’t mind having some pandora playing while we entertain people at the bar. And of course watch football and have good sound effects when the Packers score.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what speakers would be best. And not crazy expensive. Thanks for your help.
02nz

Re: Speakers for basement

Post by 02nz »

I think Bose speakers are vastly overrated. Sonos is a better "lifestyle" speaker, and their soundbars integrate well with TVs. The Beam (about $400) is relatively inexpensive and is suitable if you want something that works for both TV sound and music, without a mess of wires.
jpb01

Post by jpb01 »

kenoryan wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:46 pm I live in Wisconsin. We spend a lot of time indoors in the winter. We just moved to this new house and we are getting the basement finished. We are doing 1800 sq feet. There’s going to be a huge bar and a 77 inch LG TV on the long wall in addition to a bedroom and a nice bathroom. We are excited to watch TV downstairs. I’m wondering if I should buy some kind of speakers for this TV. I’m looking at Bose and they have a lifestyle system. We are not that much into music and stuff but I wouldn’t mind having some pandora playing while we entertain people at the bar. And of course watch football and have good sound effects when the Packers score.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what speakers would be best. And not crazy expensive. Thanks for your help.
You can't go wrong with Paradigm speakers. Best value imo.
Definitely great hearing the sweet sound of the gjallarhorn!!
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Totem makes some very fine speakers. Far better than Bose. A bargain for the quality. https://totemacoustic.com
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Placement is extremely important. I don't know if you've done this, but it's very important to figure out the wiring plan before finishing the basement, you need to research surround sound speaker placement. I wired my basement for 2 different layouts, one for projection, and one for a flat panel setup that is 90 degrees different. This install included very clean junction panels for a ceiling projector, power, speaker 7.1 setup for both layouts, cable, antenna, and ethernet. I did all this before having any equipment, I just wanted the flexibility to do things different ways as the family dynamic changes.

Speakers, I have a mixture of JBL, Klipsch, B&W, and Infiity, mostly from the 80s and 90s. I have a pair of Bose 901s I don't use anymore that destroyed my hearing decades ago as well.
Last edited by Kagord on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

We have echo studios and like them.

DA
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

There are numerous soundbar or individual speaker options nowadays, at all price points. However, if remodeling, first things to consider include...
-decide if you/family would prefer a full Home Theater "surround sound" setup with 5, 7 (or more) speakers, plus sub(s)
-if so, soundproof ceiling above (and maybe adjoining bedroom wall)
-even if not, might be worth it to still "pre-wire" for future surround sound speakers and subs (cheaper during remodel vs. later)
-might want to get Home Theater consultant involved (could use Best Buy/Magnolia for more value configuration)
-run structured wiring (ethernet, coax, etc.) to front (or possibly a side wall), for network streaming

Would not proceed with speaker/brand selection until the above are decided.
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

I've had a home theater for the last 20 years and here are a few things I've learned.

#1 Don't cheap out on good speakers (not Bose). I'm still using the same speakers I bought from 20 years ago. Unlike everything else, speakers rarely change and speakers from 20 years ago still sound good. In those twenty years, I've went through 3 projectors and 3 A/V receivers strictly because technology has made them mostly obsolete.

#2 Wire for the future and take pictures before you drywall. You don't need to invest in high end speaker wire, monoprice grade will be fine. If I was to do it again, I would do conduit. It took me about 8 hours to get an old HDMI cable out of the ceiling. HDMI is different than speaker wire, the technology does change so you need to plan accordingly.

#3 If you have portion of your basement that is unfinished or a closet, stick your A/V equipment in there.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Buy used since speakers depreciate more than any other stereo equipment. For $200 you can get speakers that sold for $1000 back in the day. Avoid BOSE. Try Paradigm, PSB, NHT etc.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

kenoryan wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:46 pm I live in Wisconsin. We spend a lot of time indoors in the winter. We just moved to this new house and we are getting the basement finished. We are doing 1800 sq feet. There’s going to be a huge bar and a 77 inch LG TV on the long wall in addition to a bedroom and a nice bathroom. We are excited to watch TV downstairs. I’m wondering if I should buy some kind of speakers for this TV. I’m looking at Bose and they have a lifestyle system. We are not that much into music and stuff but I wouldn’t mind having some pandora playing while we entertain people at the bar. And of course watch football and have good sound effects when the Packers score.

I too have an LG TV, so I didn't think too much about getting an LG sound bar. I think it was about $150 around Black Friday, but it wasn't a big doorbuster item. It's got a wireless subwoofer and the TV remote automatically adjusts the volume of the sound bar via the optical cord.

It's very loud, the bass is very full and I mostly turn down the subwoofer because we live in an apartment. I don't see a lot of variability in sound bars vs. price. I do have a pair of Sonos SL speakers for stereo music and sometimes consider adding a Sonos Beam/Bar/Arc to upgrade the system. Not sure I'll ever pull that trigger.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

knightrider wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:28 am Buy used since speakers depreciate more than any other stereo equipment. For $200 you can get speakers that sold for $1000 back in the day. Avoid BOSE. Try Paradigm, PSB, NHT etc.
That's the opposite of my experience and observation - speakers hold up their value better than electronic equipment like amplifiers. I sold three sets of Paradigm speakers second-hand for 80-90% of (not off) the new retail price; other brands' speakers I've sold (including PSB) were lower but in the 50-70% range even after several years of use. Obviously this varies with condition, age, model, etc., but generally electronics lose value far more quickly than speakers.
Last edited by 02nz on Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I agree with other that placement is key. Since you are doing a ground up finish, there’s an opportunity to put something nice in place. I have 4 Paradigm in wall speakers in my main TV viewing area, paired with a Klipsch center channel speaker and a subwoofer behind the TV. Fantastic for movies and music. I used to have a Paradigm sub as well but replaced it with a Sony when the Paradigm sub finally bit the dust. I did the original install when we had our house built in 1998. There’s other good brands mentioned as well such as JBL, Polk, Harmon Kardon, etc. as well as some really really nice other brands such as KEF or Bowers & Wilkins depending on budget.

On the budget side, in the basement, we have an older 55 inch flat screen TV hooked up to an early 90s Sony ES Receiver, Fischer speakers from the late 90s and a subwoofer I got at a thrift store for $10. Pretty good overall for general hanging out downstairs for my kids and their friends. The Fischer speakers replaced a pair of Jensen speakers I got back in high school that I wished I had realized could be re-foamed when they foam dry rotted. They were really great vintage speakers, wish I had kept them. I still have the Pioneer receiver and Sony turntable from the early 80s that they were paired with.

In the bedroom, we hooked up an LG sound bar with remote sub to our LG TV that’s good for casual viewing as well as very convenient. (I bet I have something very similar to kjvmartin if not the exact same thing)

All three of these approaches could work depending on what you are looking for.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

Call Crutchfield, they were very helpful to set up mine.
apex84

Post by apex84 »

If this is in the budget, it's an easy option for quite good surround sound without much hassle.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/ambeo-soun ... gIbmfD_BwE

Otherwise, you need to have an idea of budget and your space in terms of wiring and speaker placement. For receivers, Denon is a nice option. For speakers, Revel, Paradigm, Focal, and KEF are all nice lines with a range of price points and speaker styles.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Good suggestions in this thread (Totem, Paradigm). KEF is nice too. LS50 monitors are nice (very small with enough bass if you don't want thunderous lows; good prices now on the non-wireless versions; excellent imaging. I have a pair on my desk with my computer).
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

"lifestyle" system from Sonos.

Why?

Because no need for a receiver. No need to run wires. Expand your system across your entire house wirelessly, with as few or as many speakers as you want. Group then however you choose (basement, kitchen, first floor, second floor).

Unlike Bluetooth wireless speakers, the audio signal isn't dependent on a single source e.g. your phone. Each speaker is connected to the network and can stream music from the web (Spotify, Pandora, whatever) or from your local server/library.

Beautifully designed ecosystem. Not the cheapest but the value is there and the actual sound quality stands up to rigor for all but the craziest of audiophiles.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

hunoraut wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:22 am "lifestyle" system from Sonos.

Why?

Because no need for a receiver. No need to run wires. Expand your system across your entire house wirelessly, with as few or as many speakers as you want. Group then however you choose (basement, kitchen, first floor, second floor).

Unlike Bluetooth wireless speakers, the audio signal isn't dependent on a single source e.g. your phone. Each speaker is connected to the network and can stream music from the web (Spotify, Pandora, whatever) or from your local server/library.

Beautifully designed ecosystem. Not the cheapest but the value is there and the actual sound quality stands up to rigor for all but the craziest of audiophiles.
If you're at studs and floor joists in the basement, I think hard-wiring would be my choice. Practically my whole house is wired in the living areas, outside, and porches, decks, with volume controls in each area, and I can patch how I want for different zones on the receiver. I also have video runs to some places. I don't have to worry about power at the speakers.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

Heads up, ELAC Debut 2.0 speakers are on sale on Amazon. Great speakers
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Costco has a Klipsch 5.1 Surround Sound system for about $500. I didn’t play with it much, but it sounded fairly decent. Probably more than enough for what you’re describing.

You’d probably need a receiver for another $200 or so.

JT
Hefph

Post by Hefph »

Kef, Elac, Paradigm, all good speakers. In my opinion though, you will want to buy a good quality sub for the best experience. I built my theater system for around $7K, and the subwoofer is the most impactful component in my opinion. You can get a decent 5.1 surround system-left, center, front, surround speakers, and receiver, for under $1,000. But the subwoofer will be about that much. I have the HSU Research VTF-15H Mk 2 for $899, plus $173 for shipping as it weighs 110 pounds and is the size of an end table. It's fantastic for movies, music, everything.
Panky

Post by Panky »

02nz wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:50 pm I think Bose speakers are vastly overrated. Sonos is a better "lifestyle" speaker, and their soundbars integrate well with TVs. The Beam (about $400) is relatively inexpensive and is suitable if you want something that works for both TV sound and music, without a mess of wires.
+1 for the Sonos Beam

Had it for almost 2 years now, great sound over a large space, and extremely simple to use (if the TV it is attached to is on, its synced to it and shares volume controls, or you open up the app on your phone to stream pandora or whatever, plus Alexa if you choose to install Alexa software on the Beam).

Only downside is the cats were interested in it at first and would occasionally turn it off, but they lost interest after the first few weeks.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Hefph wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:36 am Kef, Elac, Paradigm, all good speakers. In my opinion though, you will want to buy a good quality sub for the best experience. I built my theater system for around $7K, and the subwoofer is the most impactful component in my opinion. You can get a decent 5.1 surround system-left, center, front, surround speakers, and receiver, for under $1,000. But the subwoofer will be about that much. I have the HSU Research VTF-15H Mk 2 for $899, plus $173 for shipping as it weighs 110 pounds and is the size of an end table. It's fantastic for movies, music, everything.
Dang, how do you keep the windows from rattling and all the books from falling off the shelves with that beast of a subwoofer? :beer
corn18

Post by corn18 »

I'd get a Sonos Atlas sound bar for your TV. I have all Sonos and they sound great and integrate easily. Fantastic sound.
Don't do something, just stand there!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

corn18 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:59 am I'd get a Sonos Atlas sound bar for your TV. I have all Sonos and they sound great and integrate easily. Fantastic sound.
Sonos makes two sound bars, the Beam and the more expensive Arc. There's no Sonos product called Atlas.
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

Sonos does have decent sound and very easy to implement if you don't want to run wires. I read that they recently stopped supporting their old speaker systems which for me would be a no go. I don't want to have to replace everything just because they don't want to continue to support something I bought and want to continue to use.

Some of the models were sold through 2015 and now no longer offer support and updates. This will cause according to what I read "access to services and overall functionality of your sound system will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their technology." You won't ever run into that issue with wired speakers. If you are someone who upgrades fairly often this won't be an issue.

I prefer wired speakers myself and you can get in wall/ceiling speakers and subs from KEF and Paradigm that sound much better than Bose or Sonos for not too much more money. Depending on what you choose sometimes cheaper.
DJP1944

Post by DJP1944 »

Another vote for Sonos.

i have a system for the upstairs and for the finished basement. Super easy to configure and use and the quality is outstanding.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

02nz wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:02 pm
corn18 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:59 am I'd get a Sonos Atlas sound bar for your TV. I have all Sonos and they sound great and integrate easily. Fantastic sound.
Sonos makes two sound bars, the Beam and the more expensive Arc. There's no Sonos product called Atlas.
Ok the Arc that does Atmos. I have a beam and an arc and a sub and a pair of ones. Damn nice sounding and easy to use.
Don't do something, just stand there!
queso

Post by queso »

Hefph wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:36 am Kef, Elac, Paradigm, all good speakers. In my opinion though, you will want to buy a good quality sub for the best experience. I built my theater system for around $7K, and the subwoofer is the most impactful component in my opinion. You can get a decent 5.1 surround system-left, center, front, surround speakers, and receiver, for under $1,000. But the subwoofer will be about that much. I have the HSU Research VTF-15H Mk 2 for $899, plus $173 for shipping as it weighs 110 pounds and is the size of an end table. It's fantastic for movies, music, everything.
I have a HSU VTF3-MK5 and can second the recommendation for Hsu. I replaced my center channel and sub last year and both made a huge difference. Just be aware that the difference a sub like the Hsu makes may not be super popular with your better half. As Hefph says, these things are massive. It was easily 2-3x the size of the one it replaced. Then I fired it up and threw the compound assault scene from 13 Hours on and that was when the spousal trouble started. Now I never get to fully enjoy it unless I am home alone. :happy
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

The suggestions so far are very divergent (Sonos/Bose for convenience vs. large component systems for quality and volume). It would help to clarify a little more what you want, and what "too expensive" means.

Is the house 1800 square feet, or the basement alone?

In the former case, I'm imaging a small social room where a decent soundbar or a wireless system like Sonos could be adequate and preserve your limited space. This could also be satisfactory in larger space where everyone who wants to watch the game will be sitting at normal viewing distance, there won't be too much other noise to compete with the audio, and you are not seeking a theater-like experience

If we're talking about the latter, with all or a significant chunk of it being a single large activity room, and you want the sound to convince you that what's on the TV is right there in front of you, then that is a lot of space to fill with sound. You might be much better served with a dedicated receiver and speakers.

For a large space, surround sound may be difficult to arrange to your satisfaction (although in-ceiling speakers for the rears can work), but honestly, a good stereo 2.1 or 3.1 system would have as-good sound quality at slightly lower price. Surround sound adds a sense of immersion.

For a glimpse of how far you can take this if you want to, a coworker remodeled his basement with a fairly high end system, starting from the bare studs. He put in-wall wiring, of course. I don't remember if he provided connections for 7 or 9 channel surround sound, and whether he included line connections for his subwoofer. He also had a suspended ceiling done, and put Roxul sound-proofing insulation in it, both to avoid the TV sound disturbing others, and to reduce outside sounds from competing with listening experience.

As you might guess, he's the type of guy who also bought very nice components to fill the space. I suspect his receiver, subwoofer, and speakers were over $5000 total. He's one of the people who doesn't just have favorite bands, but has favorite performances to listen to so he can appreciate the nuances. He wasn't just looking for volume, but clarity and balance, as well.
bottlecap wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:29 pm Costco has a Klipsch 5.1 Surround Sound system for about $500. I didn’t play with it much, but it sounded fairly decent. Probably more than enough for what you’re describing.

You’d probably need a receiver for another $200 or so.
That seems like a decent value for someone who wants a competent 5.1 system in a typical typical living room environment. It sits sort of in between the options being suggested in this thread, and I'm not sure it's a good fit for a larger space. I'd lean towards sticking with the convenience of a soundbar+subwoofer, or else getting a larger speaker set and more powerful receiver depending what your priorities are.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

If possible, go listen to some of the in-wall speakers available at a Best Buy Magnolia center. We're building a house where I want at least one multimedia room with built in speakers and doing this was eye-opening. I listened to Sonance, ELAC, Martin Login, B&W, and Definitive Technology in-walls at one and was blown away by the .... Speakers are to me very person-centric so I recommend doing your own auditions but I found a clear favorite, for me.

For the rest of our house we're just putting Sonos or some other brand of stand alone speaker in each room. That option is pretty cost effective and the sound is really good for something you can install or remove from an entire house in an hour.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

sasquatch12 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:05 pm Sonos does have decent sound and very easy to implement if you don't want to run wires. If you are someone who upgrades fairly often this won't be an issue.
This. Sonos is a good option for those willing to spend more than $150 on a budget soundbar and sub, but if you would like to go more than 5yrs without an upgrade or are an audiophile, it is not for you.
Hefph

Post by Hefph »

Kenkat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 am
Dang, how do you keep the windows from rattling and all the books from falling off the shelves with that beast of a subwoofer? :beer
Books? What am I, some sort of NERD?!? :D

It does rattle the windows a bit, but I have it tuned down a bit, probably operating at 40% capability.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Good sound is critical to enjoying a great TV. Buy good speakers once and enjoy for many years. ELAC and Klipsch also make good consumer high end systems.

This company sells online and has excellent quality and customer service at reasonable cost.

https://www.svsound.com/collections/prime-packages
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

Or a pair of echo studio speakers.
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

Sonos - I was curious, I bit, and I don't get it. Bluetooth is far simpler, more reliable, and not as susceptible to get wonky because of software updates or changing your wifi password. Sonos also comes with the looming threat of obsolesence. I hate this because high end speakers can be maintained and should last a lifetime. Maybe Sonos aren't lifetime quality, but they should be retired on your terms - not Sonos' terms. Finally, Sonos systems are very limiting and proprietary. Want to spin some vinyl? Go right ahead after you buy Sonos' overpriced amplifier or turntable.

If you shop around, each manufacturer has it's own sound profile. Go to Best Buy and try a couple out. I prefer our budget Sony soundbar over our higher end Klipsch soundbar because I enjoy Sony's sound profile. Most soundbars come with wireless sub woofers.

Here's a link to a few articles from The Wirecutter you might find helpful. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/sear ... ound+sound
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:24 pm Sonos - I was curious, I bit, and I don't get it. Bluetooth is far simpler, more reliable, and not as susceptible to get wonky because of software updates or changing your wifi password. Sonos also comes with the looming threat of obsolesence. I hate this because high end speakers can be maintained and should last a lifetime. Maybe Sonos aren't lifetime quality, but they should be retired on your terms - not Sonos' terms. Finally, Sonos systems are very limiting and proprietary. Want to spin some vinyl? Go right ahead after you buy Sonos' overpriced amplifier or turntable.

The advantage of wifi speakers like Sonos is precisely because they are NOT Bluetooth.

The Sonos devices stream directly from a variety of music services and your networked storage.

There is no dependency on connection to source (typically phone), and the sound quality is not limited by the Bluetooth data rate and codec.

e.g., in the morning from my bed, I can voice command my phone or any smart device "play rolling stones from Spotify in kitchen", and the Sonos devices zoned to the kitchen will start playing it. I don't need to hook up my phone to the speakers. I can leave the phone in the bedroom. I can take calls with my phone. They are fully independent. That is the proposition.

Something closer in functionality are smart speakers from Google, Apple, etc, but the sound quality and HiFi centricity is no comparison.

The "obsolescence" argument is also misunderstood. Their history shows a track record of deep product support. The current class of products run from today's software extends back to products introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013. 99% of the older products still work perfectly fine by the way, running on older generation of software.

Sure, it's not the same as running vintage speakers from the 1970s, but my TV, media center, phone, computer aren't a decade old. I probably have a laptop in the basement that won't run windows 10, but that's a consequence of technology, and not a result of nefarious "planned" obsolescence
mancich

Post by mancich »

We have Polk Audio speakers for our surround sound system and love them. Watch Crutchfield for sales. You don't have to get the high-end models to get great sound. Klipsch is another great brand, though a bit more expensive. If you have a drop ceiling consider in-ceiling speakers.
FrankLUSMC

Post by FrankLUSMC »

If you have a large area with hard floors and walls, then you need to manage the sound with some sound diffusers or baffles on the wall to eliminate distortion and echoing. Soft furniture helps too. Hanging nice looking rugs on the wall as art is a good idea.
FeesR-BullNotBullish

hunoraut wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:25 pm
FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:24 pm Sonos - I was curious, I bit, and I don't get it. Bluetooth is far simpler, more reliable, and not as susceptible to get wonky because of software updates or changing your wifi password. Sonos also comes with the looming threat of obsolesence. I hate this because high end speakers can be maintained and should last a lifetime. Maybe Sonos aren't lifetime quality, but they should be retired on your terms - not Sonos' terms. Finally, Sonos systems are very limiting and proprietary. Want to spin some vinyl? Go right ahead after you buy Sonos' overpriced amplifier or turntable.

The advantage of wifi speakers like Sonos is precisely because they are NOT Bluetooth.

The Sonos devices stream directly from a variety of music services and your networked storage.

There is no dependency on connection to source (typically phone), and the sound quality is not limited by the Bluetooth data rate and codec.

e.g., in the morning from my bed, I can voice command my phone or any smart device "play rolling stones from Spotify in kitchen", and the Sonos devices zoned to the kitchen will start playing it. I don't need to hook up my phone to the speakers. I can leave the phone in the bedroom. I can take calls with my phone. They are fully independent. That is the proposition.

Something closer in functionality are smart speakers from Google, Apple, etc, but the sound quality and HiFi centricity is no comparison.

The "obsolescence" argument is also misunderstood. Their history shows a track record of deep product support. The current class of products run from today's software extends back to products introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013. 99% of the older products still work perfectly fine by the way, running on older generation of software.

Sure, it's not the same as running vintage speakers from the 1970s, but my TV, media center, phone, computer aren't a decade old. I probably have a laptop in the basement that won't run windows 10, but that's a consequence of technology, and not a result of nefarious "planned" obsolescence
I get your points about the obsolescence, but it still feels like a punch in the gut all the same. We do love our Google smart speakers though. I think to get the maximum benefit from Sonos we'd have to outfit our whole house which is something I can't justify from a price point.
FeesR-BullNotBullish

FrankLUSMC wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:41 am If you have a large area with hard floors and walls, then you need to manage the sound with some sound diffusers or baffles on the wall to eliminate distortion and echoing. Soft furniture helps too. Hanging nice looking rugs on the wall as art is a good idea.
Popcorn ceilings, baby!
JEC

Post by JEC »

FrankLUSMC wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:41 am If you have a large area with hard floors and walls, then you need to manage the sound with some sound diffusers or baffles on the wall to eliminate distortion and echoing. Soft furniture helps too. Hanging nice looking rugs on the wall as art is a good idea.
+1

After spending a few hundred on speakers, you're better off putting some money into acoustic treatments. I have a low- to mid-grade home theater set-up in my basement (probably around $5k all-in). Of all the different purchases/upgrades, acoustic panels made the most notable difference in sound/enjoyment. Nothing worse than an echo-ey room.
Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA »

This! Part of my basement is my music studio and the acoustics are horrible if untreated. I used a microphone and the Room EQ Wizard software to measure the response and figure out my problem frequencies. I built sound panels out of Roxul Rockboard 60 & 80 and it made a world of difference.
WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo »

Some Sonos observations:

The sound quality is very good. Overall, I have been very happy with the Play1s, Moves, ARC and Sub.
Only the new, battery powered 'Move' speakers have bluetooth in addition to WIFI. All the rest are WIFI only.

We purchased the ARC and Subwoofer. Fantastic sound! But, with our LG B7 TV, the ARC had distracting lip-sync issues with only the cable box. Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu etc. all worked fine on the LG and the problem appears to be limited to the LG, suggesting it's on them and not Sonos. The LG lip sync issues are well known on forums with system fanatics like Reddit. See http://www.Reddit.com/r/sonos - for more detailed formation than you will find here.

Ultimately, we ended up buying another, bigger TV, in part because the sound system was so good we decided upgrading the TV was a better way to go than to degrade the sound system.

TLDR: If you are keeping the LG, don't go with the Sonos ARC if you are using a cable box.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair