House with high tension power lines in backyard

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
HappyJack

House with high tension power lines in backyard

Post by HappyJack »

Looking at a house to buy. High tension power lines ( with the big towers) crosses just behind backyard. I have concerns. Any advice?
srt7

Re: House with high tension power lines in backyard

Post by srt7 »

We passed on several houses with power lines running through the backyard. A tower within quarter mile was a no-no for us. Even if it doesn't bother you think of the hassles during re-sale. Selling a house is hard enough so why make it any harder. Ultimately, it was a personal choice.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

One of the real estate rules that I use is this: if you can see it (such as high power lines), hear it (such as a busy road), or smell it (such as a landfill), don't buy.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

This would be a no for me. I think you are setting yourself up for a difficult sale in the future if you ever want to move again.

I used to play golf on a course that had high tension lines running across one of the holes. We could hear the lines buzzing and crackling from the tee box. I wouldn’t want to live near that.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Whether risks are real based on scientific research or perceived based on fear doesn't matter. The power lines will impact resale value and time to sell in the future. I would treat it as a distressed property with an incurable defect. Maybe you still buy it because you got a very good price and there is some significant counter weighted benefit such as an exceptional public school. If you want a bargain I would look for something that has curable defects that time and money can fix.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Will you being living in the house or will it be a rental property?

I wouldn't buy it if I was going to live there (as in I would be living with it for 10 or 15 or 20 years) and my criteria is "don't want loud noise (from roads or trains or planes) or traffic from a busy/thru street or highway the property ends at. I don't want to have to deal with trash/noise/not neighborhood people from a strip mall or shopping district or don't want "smells" from landfill, water reclamation facilities, restaurants, factories. Actually, I don't want to be within amile or two of a "business park" ... (There is a sterilization of medical stuff "business" that spewed some lovely toxic chemicals into the air (for years) and effected the people who lived in the houses/neighborhood - across the street from this business.... )

As for electric wires... I'm not as paranoid about them - as I am from businesses (or highways/expressways/really busy streets) spewing chemicals into the air... Electric/power wires are NOT my favorite thing... but I might buy it if it was a rental (renters tend to stay a year or 2 or 3 and then move on) - especially if the house was not "large" and had other pluses for a "rental" - good for commuters to get to highways or public transportation and with reasonable schools and shopping close by. My rental market is "kid less" couples/singles or couples in the "working, but gonna start a family/find a house to buy in a year or two". The "not so good for homebuyers" house might be good for renters.

When I bought my house the end of the city block is a "busy street" and there was a car dealership there. I had NO issues with people or cars or noise from the car dealership. The car dealership folded in 2010 and McDonalds bought the property. I now have people parking in front of my house - eating their take out food and dropping their trash out the car window as they pull away. I now have people walking with their take out food and just dropping their trash as they go along. I now have more non local traffic on my block - from cars and walkers. If I was "house buying" now - with the McDonalds at the end of the block - I would NOT consider my house to live in. My "block" no longer has the nieghborhood/community feel it had when I bought it (10 years before the McDonald's was built)
TimeTheMarket

Post by TimeTheMarket »

Of course it will hurt selling later—just as it is now. This is all baked into selling later if you get an appropriate reduction in sale price now.

I’d you’re okay with it buy it—just ensure you don’t buy at the same price as if those weren’t there. AFAIK no evidence proves these are injurious at all.
Username is not serious :)
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I live near a medium-tension line (single pylons, no noise). I can't see it (or hear anything) but the units that can sell just as well.

This is not a demonstrated health issue but an aesthetic one. I would not want to be near one of the steel truss high tension towers. The single question is: does the aesthetic effect matter to me?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Assuming you go forward with acquisition, be sure you are aware of any easements that specify building restrictions or access as the result of the power lines. I owned a property adjacent to an underground gas pipeline and there were specific restrictions.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

HappyJack wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:18 pm Looking at a house to buy. High tension power lines ( with the big towers) crosses just behind backyard. I have concerns. Any advice?
What are your concerns?

My advice: don't purchase a home when you have concerns about it.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

I will pass a house with high tension power lines nearby. This is not out of the so called health effects of low frequency electromagnetic field on human body. I don't believe such unproven wild ideas: I work with EM fields. I am concerned with a danger in any accidents such as live broken power lines. I am also concerned with the aesthetic aspects.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Run away. Fast.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
kj10

Post by kj10 »

JoeRetire wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:20 pm
HappyJack wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:18 pm Looking at a house to buy. High tension power lines ( with the big towers) crosses just behind backyard. I have concerns. Any advice?
What are your concerns?

My advice: don't purchase a home when you have concerns about it.
+1
Topic Author
HappyJack

Post by HappyJack »

Main concerns:
1) health of high tension power lines
2) resale bc others are concerned with 1)
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

HappyJack wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:25 pm Main concerns:
#1 is baseless, IMHO.

Sadly, #2 is real.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Do you also avoid microwave ovens, electric blankets, cellular phones, or electric appliances? Have you used CRTs?
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

I would avoid the house. Regardless of the validity of cancer concerns, the fact that some people have the concerns will make it harder to sell.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I grew up a couple blocks away from high tension power lines and the school bus stop was along that street. They do make a buzzing noise that could get annoying if you were living right next to it. You could block the noise inside the house through good sound proofing, but what about when you open windows or are outside?

They're also a bit of an attractive nuisance for daredevil teenagers and adults who try to climb the towers. That's on the company to secure the towers and lines, but I don't know if I'd want to be within visual distance of them when it happened either.

Also consider what sort of risk there is if one of the lines breaks, and how the presence of the lines will affect what you can do with the yard, such as what sort of trees and shrubs you can plant. Also, does the company have an easement into the back yard for line maintenance?
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:30 pm
Do you also avoid microwave ovens, electric blankets, cellular phones, or electric appliances? Have you used CRTs?
The fields near high tension lines are much higher because the return conductor is spaced far away and the voltages and currents are much, much higher. Not saying that any adverse effects are conclusively proven, but some studies have shown issues when you live close by.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

delete
Last edited by adamthesmythe on Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

in general, probably best to pass on it, as other have mentioned

UNLESS

there is something so unique about this property and house that makes it 'perfect' for you - and you cannot easily find it anywhere else. for example, say you want to live close to your parents and they own the house across the street from this one (something like that).

good luck with the house hunting!

:sharebeer
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

One of the first houses I ever rented had high tension power lines nearby. They weren't even on the property itself, but they were really an eyesore that never went away. I was only there for a couple of years, but I would never consider such a location again--even to rent, much less buy.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> some studies have shown issues when you live close by.

Science requires that multiple, good studies show the same thing, not just that "some" studies show something. The existence of a plausible mechanism for the effect is also more persuasive.

Scientists think that a phenomena has been convincingly demonstrated when better studies show the same effect with better statistics.

I assert that there is no GOOD reason to avoid power lines for health concerns. (Except, possibly, electric shock if the lines fall down).

Aesthetics are a different matter.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

An early episode of Curb your Enthusiasm is about Larry David and his wife trying to move some power lines into the ground. They need, however, their neighbors approval to make it happen.
Needless to say, chaos ensues and they aren't successful.
CycloRista

Post by CycloRista »

I would pass.

Not that they would bother me necessarily- just far more of a challenge when it comes time to sell.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Call_Me_Op wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:13 pm
The fields near high tension lines are much higher because the return conductor is spaced far away and the voltages and currents are much, much higher. Not saying that any adverse effects are conclusively proven, but some studies have shown issues when you live close by.
https://emfinfo.org/guidelines-distance.html
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Resale value problems should already be baked into the price you pay when you buy.

Back in the day, I had a place that was next to power lines. I could hear them buzzing. After the first five minutes I lived there, I stopped noticing it.

I had it as a rental for several years. Exactly one prospective tenant turned it down because of the power lines. I had a larger number of people turn the place down because their satellite dishes wouldn’t work (it was a condo with no rooftop access and the balcony faced north).

When I went to sell it, it sold for full price in 3 weeks. Would it have sold for more, or faster, if the power lines weren’t here? Probably. Did it matter? No. Not at all.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

"Feng Shui"?
Would not ever consider any property like this.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

If you have concerns, you should not buy it.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I have them on the back of my property. It is definitely a drawback aesthetically and from a usability and tax standpoint. Actually its just the wires along a brief stretch on the back field, the structures are a bit back and out of view on neighbor's land; I've never heard buzzing. In addition to the high tension power lines are the lines which serve the neighborhood (pole to pole) underground or above ground? Are they on the land you are considering? If they are, that's a lot of land to mow and pay taxes on and not use. How close are the structures and wires to the house? Between these wires, and other rights of way and easements which might exist (cable, phone, water), you might find yourself restricted if you want to do some things on your land from landscaping to expansion. You may not even be able to put up a fence.

Frankly, had I been advised of this, I would not have bought, though that is offset by the fact its a great neighborhood with good neighbors, but I did not know that until after I moved in.

On the other hand, it means there won't be a house put up right behind me. Many lawyers don't advise their clients of the restrictions which come with owning that land. A few years ago, right before I bought, Dominion energy came through and had owners move sheds, above ground pools and so forth. Dominion once came through and damaged my property, they did pay the claim without a blink of an eye. They also came through just last week and sprayed, and sprayed and sprayed weed killer. I keep my land mowed but for those who didn't keep it up, all they have now is dead brush and a lot of poison.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Apples vs. Oranges
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

1) is baseless in my opinion.
See this for what the American Cancer Society has to say.
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-ca ... ation.html
2) Some buyers will hold on to all kinds of crazy conspiracy theories. At the margins, anything different about the home, will make it slightly more difficult to resale.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

I wouldn't buy such a house.

Not only the power lines itself but if there is a path under the lines it is like a creature express way. Deer, wolves, bears and lesser wild life use the land under the power lines to roam free since few humans use that land. They may like to stop their journey and munch on people's gardens near by.

We have a narrow tract of woods behind a 6ft barbed wire fence put there by the land owner years ago. We have had deer, turkeys, snakes, fox, ground hogs, etc in our yard over the years. No bears - yet. Somehow they manage to go over, under or the long way around and get in our yard. The area is densely populated with lots of roads and traffic - yet these creatures survive. I can't imagine what houses next to power lines, if there is untended land underneath, would experience.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

That environment where the grass meets woodland is the ideal area for deer. I'm told by the game warden that we have more deer now than were around when the land was settled and it was all woodland (though the last bison was reported in the current boundaries of VA in 1749 so them trampling my garden is not a concern, though the deer ate all of my Swiss Chard). While there have been bears in the area, none along the right of way so far, but plenty of smaller critters. A few deer here and there, but they are everywhere in VA, even in suburban back yards. In fact, my brother is always chasing them away and he is in a huge subdivision. This brings up another point. In some states a Game Warden may enter private land without a warrant if it is adjacent to public land. Its known as the "open fields doctrine." It should not be a problem, but they have different access than other law enforcement officers.

I'd summarize by saying if you are considering buying a home with these wires, be sure you fully understand the restrictions which may be placed on your use of your property. Knowing where the rights of way and easements are located are essential. I would have a good survey done.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

oldfort wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:49 pm
2) Some buyers will hold on to all kinds of crazy conspiracy theories. At the margins, anything different about the home, will make it slightly more difficult to resale.
It doesn't really matter that much if it's some "crazy conspiracy theory". What matters for the house is if there is a relatively large percentage of prospective buyers who are in fact bothered by something enough not to want to buy it, or only at a much lower price. This latter assumes that the price OP paid is not already significantly "enough" lower to account for a lower future sale price. In that case, there could still be a longer "time to sell", for someone "not bothered" to show up and want to purchase it. And that depends in part on "how much less" OP would be paying, and also whether in the future this might be more of a concern to some others.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:17 pm
oldfort wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:49 pm
It doesn't really matter that much if it's some "crazy conspiracy theory". What matters for the house is if there is a relatively large percentage of prospective buyers who are in fact bothered by something enough not to want to buy it, or only at a much lower price. This latter assumes that the price OP paid is not already significantly "enough" lower to account for a lower future sale price. In that case, there could still be a longer "time to sell", for someone "not bothered" to show up and want to purchase it. And that depends in part on "how much less" OP would be paying, and also whether in the future this might be more of a concern to some others.

RM
I don't believe there is a relatively large percentage of prospective buyers who wouldn't buy the house for this reason. If most buyers wouldn't consider the house, then the OP should be able to negotiate a lower price for the house. In an efficient housing market, the OP wouldn't take a loss when it comes time to sell but not get any discount at the time of purchase.
Snert

Post by Snert »

Deleted
Last edited by Snert on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't listen to me, I'm just a dog!
egrets

Post by egrets »

Dandy wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:58 pm I wouldn't buy such a house.

Not only the power lines itself but if there is a path under the lines it is like a creature express way. Deer, wolves, bears and lesser wild life use the land under the power lines to roam free since few humans use that land. They may like to stop their journey and munch on people's gardens near by.

We have a narrow tract of woods behind a 6ft barbed wire fence put there by the land owner years ago. We have had deer, turkeys, snakes, fox, ground hogs, etc in our yard over the years. No bears - yet. Somehow they manage to go over, under or the long way around and get in our yard. The area is densely populated with lots of roads and traffic - yet these creatures survive. I can't imagine what houses next to power lines, if there is untended land underneath, would experience.
I would consider the animals a positive factor.

I trained as a scientist, but I view with skepticism claims that various items like this are harmless. There's too much motivation for companies and corrupt scientists to lie. Look at the history of such things. Plus high tension power lines are just ugly.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

egrets wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:30 pm

I trained as a scientist, but I view with skepticism claims that various items like this are harmless. There's too much motivation for companies and corrupt scientists to lie. Look at the history of such things. Plus high tension power lines are just ugly.
You could use this same logic to claim cell phones cause cancer. Big Cellular has too much motivation to lie about cell phones being safe.
Mordoch

Post by Mordoch »

egrets wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:30 pm I trained as a scientist, but I view with skepticism claims that various items like this are harmless. There's too much motivation for companies and corrupt scientists to lie. Look at the history of such things. Plus high tension power lines are just ugly.
Unless you are simply a conspiracy theorist this does not work in this case. (Unless you believe essentially all your colleagues, or at least professional scientists, are corrupt and untrustworthy.)

What it comes down to is the issue was identified as a possible concern as early as at least 1979 and was a high profile concern for a long time, yet there is a striking utter lack of proper studies truly supporting this as a risk. During this period there have been plenty of studies, including from effectively independent researchers who did not have any motivation to cover things up for industry. It also should not have been that hard to prove if true and a significant risk since measuring physical proximity to high tension powerlines is a fairly straightforward thing to do. If this can only shown up as a concern in the last say 10 years it might be more likely industry has been able to conceal the risk, but that is not the case in this instance.

Basically in terms of health risks you are vastly better off focusing on other more relevant and clear ones such as your house's proximity to a highway.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

adamthesmythe wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:15 pm I live near a medium-tension line (single pylons, no noise). I can't see it (or hear anything) but the units that can sell just as well.

This is not a demonstrated health issue but an aesthetic one. I would not want to be near one of the steel truss high tension towers. The single question is: does the aesthetic effect matter to me?
I thought there concerns over cancer in kids. Was that proven to not be the case?

Anyway, I think they are unsightly.

When looking in my current neighborhood, visible power lines (either in front of back) was a deal breaker for me.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

oldfort wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:39 pm
egrets wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:30 pm

You could use this same logic to claim cell phones cause cancer. Big Cellular has too much motivation to lie about cell phones being safe.
One of my closest friends is an RF engineer for a mobile phone manufacturer and had worked in the space for 20 years. He told me ten years to never carry a phone in my front or hip pocket.
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

adamthesmythe wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:22 pm I assert that there is no GOOD reason to avoid power lines for health concerns. (Except, possibly, electric shock if the lines fall down).
I'd be careful about being too dogmatic here. Yes, the energy dissipates at an inverse cube or so, but I doubt that the sound does (inverse square? I've never thought about it before). Even when lower audible, the sound can have a real effect on well-being.
Mordoch

Post by Mordoch »

unclescrooge wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:15 pm I thought there concerns over cancer in kids. Was that proven to not be the case?
The answer on this one is basically yes, with allot of studies to the contrary (or at least failing to support such a risk) at this point even though this was a high profile area of concern for awhile.

As I previously noted there are other issues such as proximity to a highway or radon gas which clearly should be considered more relevant health issues for example.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

unclescrooge wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:15 pm
adamthesmythe wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:15 pm I live near a medium-tension line (single pylons, no noise). I can't see it (or hear anything) but the units that can sell just as well.

I thought there concerns over cancer in kids. Was that proven to not be the case?

Anyway, I think they are unsightly.

When looking in my current neighborhood, visible power lines (either in front of back) was a deal breaker for me.
The base rate of childhood leukemia is extremely rare: about 7 kids in 100,000. Suppose there is a 30-40% increase in the rate of childhood leukemia, then that works out to roughly an additional 2-3 kids per 100,000 each year. When you start worrying about ambiguous data on 2-3 in 100,000 chances, there's a lot of other risks you should be putting a higher priority on reducing.
Last edited by oldfort on Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

In a hot market, all manner of weirdness sells fast for full price+. In a slow market, weirdness requires patience and discount to unload.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I personally find them ugly and wouldn't want to stare at them from my backyard. Many others would not either, so this will reduce the home's sale potential down the road.

But if you don't mind them and you can get the property for significantly less than otherwise comparable properties, it might be a good deal for you.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Not only that, but my understanding is that herbicides (in rather large quantities) are used to keep vegetation from growing under the lines. in fact, a friend of mine recently suggested that this is the reason for higher rates of leukemia found among those living close to high tension lines. I have no idea whether this is true.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Call_Me_Op wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:44 pm

Not only that, but my understanding is that herbicides (in rather large quantities) are used to keep vegetation from growing under the lines. in fact, a friend of mine recently suggested that this is the reason for higher rates of leukemia found among those living close to high tension lines. I have no idea whether this is true.
You might have a point. I keep my area mowed. But honestly, when they sprayed the other day, they lined in hazmat type suits - despite the heat - they formed a line and started moving forward spraying. Eventually the line broke as they wove their way around the brush. They aren't spraying with weed killer, they are spraying with brush killer which is far more potent.
SB1234

Post by SB1234 »

In real estate terms power lines in the vicinity is known as a 'incurable defect'. Health effects due to high tension lines have been debunked in various studies. But the resale concerns are real. You should be able to get a discount in comparison to similar properties without this issue. Of course when you sell your will also get back proportionally less.
anecdotes are not data