windows 10 file shredder

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jpohio

windows 10 file shredder

Post by jpohio »

Please provide suggestions for file shredding programs for Windows 10. I am looking for something that will "shred" sensitive files from my local hard drive.

Thanks
Flyer24

Re: windows 10 file shredder

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
namekevaste

Post by namekevaste »

Eraser available at https://eraser.heidi.ie/
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Securely deleting files is tricky. A normal delete won't really delete the file (a rough analogy is removing something from a table of contents in a book but leaving the information still in the book).

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ho ... -software/

Of course downloading something also is a risk in the sense you don't know if the tool has already been compromised. sysinternals are a serious of tools that have been around a while so it should be ok and I would trust them more than the random freeware tools on the internet.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I used to simply delete the files and then run ccleaner to do a wipe of all the empty space on the drive. That way it was entirely clean. When we did taxes at Taxaide - in the "old days" the tax files stayed on the computer and had to be deleted and the drive wiped periodically.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

If you're trying to do this because you're getting rid of the computer, Windows 10 has a reset feature with options to remove your personal data AND wipe the drive securely. It's not military-grade wiping, but definitely "good enough."
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Sdelete will do exactly what you want, is totally free, and published by Microsoft (acquired when they purchased Mark Russinovich, I mean Sysinternals):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ds/sdelete

In a nutshell, it replaces the entire contents of the file with unreadable gibberish, THEN deletes it. If you've already deleted the file, you can use the -c option to overwrite all free space on the drive with random gibberish.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

If this is a concern to you, you probably have an anti-virus program. I can't speak for them all, but Norton includes a file-shredder with its packages. See if your AV software has one.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

While I am not a software guy- I would assume that there are also temporary files on the drive that may contain part of the contents of the file you want to delete.

So I think the best way would be to delete the file(s) and write something on all of the empty sectors on the hard drive.

(Some really paranoid think you need to write multiple times, but that's only if you fear having your drive taken apart in a clean room and investigated by the CIA).
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I've always used DrillPress 1.0 and tossed into the trashcan. If I'm being really thorough, I also use Hammer 1.0 and distribute pieces through several weeks of trash pickup.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

lthenderson wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:46 pm I've always used DrillPress 1.0 and tossed into the trashcan. If I'm being really thorough, I also use Hammer 1.0 and distribute pieces through several weeks of trash pickup.
OP did not make it clear whether he wanted to use the drive again after deleting the files.

I agree these approaches work well, although I recommend Hammer 2.0 which is bigger and heavier than Hammer 1.0.

I was once talking to someone from a more corporate environment about to drop several thousand on a degausser. I suggested Hammer 2.0 which would cost 20 bucks or so, and would be enjoyable to boot. However I'm not sure it would be OK with the security auditors.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Try Bleach Bit (www.bleachbit.com). It's simple and free.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

I use Free File Shredder: https://www.fileshredder.org/ which has 5 options tp pick from.

I use the DoD 5220-22.M option, which makes 3 passes. Very easy to use.

Search for Windows 10 file shredder and you'll find plenty of reviews of available programs.
student

Post by student »

Although this is not what you asked for, I recommend encrypting your entire hard drive. This way you don't have to worry about erasing files securely. If you have Windows 10 pro, you can turn on bitlocker. If you have Apple, you can turn on filevault. If you do not trust MS and Apple, you can use veracrypt (free).