Auto Insurance Question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Prudence

Auto Insurance Question

Post by Prudence »

My car was in an accident. I have been covered by GEICO for 45 years. The car was a 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid with 15,000 miles and excellent condition. I received an estimate from the body shop. They used original Honda parts in the estimate, but, the repairman told me that GEICO will probably want it changed to reconditioned parts. I have a standard policy. Is there a way I can talk GEICO into using the new parts in the estimate instead of reconditioned?
bob60014

Re: Auto Insurance Question

Post by bob60014 »

Prudence wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:32 am My car was in an accident. I have been covered by GEICO for 45 years. The car was a 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid with 15,000 miles and excellent condition. I received an estimate from the body shop. They used original Honda parts in the estimate, but, the repairman told me that GEICO will probably want it changed to reconditioned parts. I have a standard policy. Is there a way I can talk GEICO into using the new parts in the estimate instead of reconditioned?
"They used original Honda parts in the estimate...." Who is they? Is there another party involved?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

bob60014 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:40 am
Prudence wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:32 am My car was in an accident. I have been covered by GEICO for 45 years. The car was a 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid with 15,000 miles and excellent condition. I received an estimate from the body shop. They used original Honda parts in the estimate, but, the repairman told me that GEICO will probably want it changed to reconditioned parts. I have a standard policy. Is there a way I can talk GEICO into using the new parts in the estimate instead of reconditioned?
"They used original Honda parts in the estimate...." Who is they? Is there another party involved?
"They" is clearly the body shop that provided the estimate.

Cheers
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

This is standard in the industry. The shop will be required to use either used or aftermarket parts. Your policy should spell this out. From memory, I believe a car 1 year old or less gets new parts. Older gets used/aftermarket. Let the body shop do the work. We just had a car fixed and the initial insurance estimate (which was very detailed) was $1700. The final total was $4200. Pieces like a hood or fender are integral crash structure components, so unless a used part is physically perfect, they won't use it. Part of the increased cost for my car were the lack of appropriate used parts where a new one was used.

I believe that there are policies that you can buy that are non-standard that specify new, OEM parts be used. But you're going to pay for that.

I suppose you could work with your body shop to use only OEM parts, with the added cost coming out of your pocket.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid