Basic eBay Questions - New to eBay

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Re: Basic eBay Questions - New to eBay

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

boomer_techie wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:55 am
lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:18 am 1) How does payment work on eBay? For ex, if a buyer wants to buy something, how does the buyer pay the seller? Through PayPal or credit cards (cc)? If so, how does this actually work? And how then does the seller receive payment?
For a long time it was through PayPal. The received funds would sit in PayPal until the seller moved them to their checking account - or spent them buying other stuff on eBay.

With the eBay/PayPal divorce, things might be changing.
Also, I know that eBay charges the seller 10% on the sale price of an item, but does the seller or buyer also pay a transaction fee to PayPal/cc?
No buyer fees.
2) I have already added my own cc to my account. What role does my own cc have in the selling process? Or is it just there if I wish to buy something?
With the eBay/PayPal divorce, I think eBay can directly charge your purchases to a CC. Also, you might be able to use it to pay your seller fees.
3) If I want to try to sell a high quality elliptical (200 lbs) machine in great condition, what is the safest way to have a seller come to my home to look at it or buy it? (note: I would try to put it on Craig's List but that seems more risky because the machine can't be stored in a garage or an unfinished basement, per the manual. The potential buyer would have to come into my home.)
I see you're already on your way to be an eBay seller - you're already mixing up "seller" and "buyer".
Thanks for catching my typo. I corrected it in my original post.

Don't try selling a 200# machine on eBay.
Not even if offering local pick-up option?
4) How does a seller decide whether to offer returns or no returns? Seems to me, things like collectibles or a 200 lb machine would not be returnable since they may be returned damaged.
Offer refunds = buyer sends unwanted item back, you refund the buyer.

Not offer refunds = buyer throws unwanted item in trash, eBay takes money from you to refund the buyer.
I understand the perspective, thanks!
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:33 am One word.....Don't.

For your sale, you will pay the 10% ebay commission plus the paypal fixed and percentage charges. Your money will be hung up for about a month. If the buyer comes to your house to pick this thing up, he'll get it home, dispute the transaction as "item not received" and since you didn't ship is and you have no UPS/FedEx/USPS shipping number to verify it was shipped, you lose and all the money is withdrawn from your account and you, as a seller have zero recourse.

Save yourself the hassle and put the thing at the end of your driveway with a big "free" sign on it.

Alternately, try the craigslist/facebook marketplace/letgo sites where they aren't a bunch of scammers and rip off artists.
Understood.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

dukeblue219 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:08 am I would recommend buying a few things first so you get a feedback score greater than zero. Otherwise buyers may be reluctant. Usually as a buyer I only look at sellers with lots of good feedback. Start your selling with small, cheap items that are easy to ship and not overly valuable while you learn.

Consider making your first few sales US only; its more difficult to deal with international shipping and, in my experience, more likely you'll get scammed.

Only ship to the PayPal verified address, and after you're paid. Do not under any circumstances ship to a third party address based on an email you get with some story about how they gave you the wrong address.

Ebay is not the right place for large items that require local pickup. You CAN set local pickup as an option, but you don't have any way to screen buyers. Facebook or a neighborhood mailing list is best for that kind of item, or Craigslist, but it's tough since you can't exactly meet the buyer at a police station to conduct the transaction.
Understood. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:49 am
jharkin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:22 am I did what you are trying to 20 years ago. Back then it was great. Today I would not touch eBay with a 10 ft pole. The fee structure and competition from large businesses make it very hard to make any profit as a small private seller. And nobody bids on anything that is not “free shipping” these days, making it next to impossible to make money on low value or heavy items.

Also, the feedback system has changed to so heavily bias buyers that it’s easy to get scammed. Buyer can claim they never received an item, and even with zero evidence eBay will force a full refund. I got ripped off that way once even with a tracking receipt.
+1

20 years ago, I had an eBay consignment shop. I sold literally thousands of higher priced items. An occasional buyer would try to scam me, and a very few succeeded. I would not buy or sell on eBay today; the downhill spiral began with Meg Whitman. If you have Nextdoor, I’d try that.
Ok. I appreciate your help.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

Watty wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 am
bob60014 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:55 am One reason I stopped using eBay are the high fees for selling and for payments. Plus I don't like their return policy, they always side with the buyer no matter the situation.
+1

We used to sell stuff on eBay and over the years sold several hundred things on eBay. About 7 or 8 years ago they changed their business model and took any all protections for small seller and there are scammers that know how to game the system to basically steal stuff. We occasionally still sell stuff there that would be hard to sell any other way but I would never try selling anything there that would cost more than about $50 dollars now.

Most sales went fine and we only ran into a few problems ourselves but the one that really turned us off eBay was;

1) My wife listed some high end shoes that would have sold for several hundred dollars when new.
2) They sell for maybe $40 which was an OK price.
3) Seller waits about 28 days of the 30 day dispute window(I forget the details) and contacts us to say that she has a problem with the shoes.
4) We say OK return them and if the problem is true we will refund your money and pay for shipping.(We did not take returns for no reason.)
5) Seller responds that she cannot return the shoes because she is out of the country on a trip now.
6) She files a dispute with eBay, and gets an automatic refund within 15 seconds of filing the dispute even though she did not return the shoes.
7) 15 seconds after eBay got her dispute we get a message from eBay saying something like, "After careful consideration we decided in the buyers favor." There is no way to appeal the decision.
8) They even charged us fees to process the refund.

Anyway the seller got to keep the shoes and a full refund.

We were out; the shoes, the cost of shipping, the sales fees, and additional fees to process the refund.
Not a fair way to do business. Thank you.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

knightrider wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:39 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:49 am If you have Nextdoor, I’d try that.
Nobody uses Nextdoor in my area. The smaller the market, the less you will get for it and the longer it will take to sell.
I've seen that, too.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

Bobby206 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:54 am I love Ebay and have been selling on there for over 20 years. Appears you got your questions answered.

The elliptical should be sold on Facebook or Craigslist or whatever is good in your LOCAL area.

Ebay is best for lighter things and/or smaller things. When you get into large and/or heavy the postage can be an issue.

Yes, you should weigh your stuff before listing as you will put that in your listing. However, I never put into a box until they are sold. I thus usually weigh the item without a box/packaging and then round up. I sometimes guess wrong which can be problematic in shipping costs. Or if I don't have the right size box.

Speaking of boxes save all boxes, padded envelopes, etc... that you get from Amazon, etc.... If you start really selling stuff you never know how many you will use.

I would get the mailing label stickers. There are free ones through the FedEx app although I used my free allotment up so bought a pack. Easier than trying to tape a piece of paper label to the box.

Always do your postage through Ebay so your tracking is automatically connected to the item. Cuts down on problems.

Sell a bunch of cheap items to start to get your feedback rating and time on Ebay up a little bit. Then slowly start selling more pricier things. Plus, you will learn as you go so make mistakes with lower dollar items.

If you sell a high dollar item (we all have different thresholds) I always do the signature guarantee. It's like $2.50 extra but cuts down on fraud/theft/scammers.

Have fun. Don't take it too serious. Good luck!
Thanks, Bobby.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

sk2101 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:03 am I have been using ebay for 20 years. Lots have changed over time, but you should know that nowadays ebay is very buyer focused and it is very easy for people to scam you and ebay will always side with the buyer. I strongly recommend being a discerned seller; I try to be cautions I have never been scammed in thousands of transactions. If a buyer has no feedback or negative feedback, then don't sell it to them. Don't sell overseas. Always login into your paypal account to confirm the funds are there before shipping the item (A scammer can send an email that looks like it came from paypal saying you got funds when you didn't).

You pay 10% commission to ebay, and paypal also takes a cut on the payment for their fees (about 3%). Google ebay fee calculator if you want know know exactly what the fees are. Most of the times the fees are worth it, because items go for more money on ebay vs local selling on offerup/craigslist.

When you are a new user, paypal will hold your funds until your shipment is received by the buyer. After you become established, the funds are available immediately.

I use ebay only to sell things that I can easily ship (although I have sold 2 cars there, but that's a different story). I do not recommend listing an elliptical machine on ebay, you need to sell that to a local buyer and for that Offerup, Craigslist of Facebook Marketplace are better options - plus, no commisison!
Good info!
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:58 am
go_mets wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:20 am
runner3081 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:01 am Counterpoint, I have been selling for many years. Yes, things can happen, but overall, there is no other place to get this kind of audience to buy your items.
I stopped selling on eBay about 3 years ago.
I also had no problems with any of my sales.
However, I would never sell on eBay again.
All it takes is a buyer like the one Watty describes to completely "bankrupt" you.

By the way, the refund time with Paypal is 6 months!
Absolutely ridiculous.
Even Walmart and Target's refund time is only 3 months.
If a pair of shoes will bankrupt you, certain risks should not be taken (like selling on eBay). There is risk and also massive upside of selling on eBay.

NOTHING is risk free. Investing in index funds is not risk free, running a business, walking on the sidewalk, etc. It is a risk calculation and I and millions of others take that risk on eBay and do just fine.

But honestly, I like the fear mongering, fewer competitors :)
I'm learning a lot, thanks!
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

simas wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:20 pm Stay away from eBay unless that is your full time job and you are professional seller very used to 'costs of doing business'.

eBay is expensive in its fees, very biased against you as a seller, and put the burden of proof for everything on you.

I rather give item away than sell on eBay. if I really want to sell computer stuff, I would post WTB ad in one of many computer forums or look at WTS in there.

although, you may get some entertainment for bots that no matter what you post and at what price contact you with sob story of 'I am a poor student that can only afford 0.6x . would you accept that?' , does not matter what you sell or at what price, these bots would still send you their "sob stories" :)

in short, e-bay is worse than flea-market ever was. for very few professional sellers, may be it is another channel. for vast majority of the folks, total waste as a place to get rid of unwanted things.
Freakin' bots. Thank you for your guidance.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

Kenkat wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:19 am I have both bought and sold on eBay - I probably have 450+ as a buyer and 50 or so as a seller. Joined in 2001. I’ve had one bad experience as a buyer and none as a seller but I do know people who have. So it’s a risk. In my case with my bad experience as a buyer, I had a case go against me - basically seller would not accept a return even though they offered returns. I ultimately ended up calling eBay, they had a supervisor call me back who basically said, “yeah, we screwed up, you are right” and covered my return.

To answer you questions as to how I do it:

1) I accept Paypal only. The buyer wins the auction or does buy it now, pays on eBay thru Paypal, I ship the item and Paypal credits my account. I can use the money in Paypal to buy other stuff or I can transfer to my checking. There is a final value fee from eBay plus a fixed transaction fee and percentage fee from Paypal as well. These add up to around 10-12% in my experience.

2) Credit card linked to Paypal is only used for buying in my experience

3) You can list it as pickup only on eBay but I’d agree with others that Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist might work better

4) I typically accept returns and usually will offer free shipping as well because my experience is that those things result in higher bids and sale prices. If I am concerned with losing money, I will use a starting price to cover shipping plus some minimum amount. Some people will start auctions at 99 cents but I don’t usually do that. If I have an item I’d like to get $100 for, similar items go for $85 - 115 and will cost $5 to ship, I might start it at $40 or so but with a buy it now of $105.

I do agree with others to buy a few things first. I sell mostly low value items - $10 to $100 so if something goes wrong, it’s not a big loss.
helpful, thank you!
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

pcsrini wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:23 am Agree with others.
1. Never ship an item till the payment is received by PayPal/eBay. As a new seller, your funds will be held till shipping company provides confirmation of an arrival or delivery scan.
2. For higher priced items, ask for signature confirmation on delivery
3. When selling lower priced items, aggressive buyers may use negative feedback as leverage. Don't fight that battle, and keep your feedback score close to 100%
4. Take pictures of shipped items and box before shipping. In case of a buyer scam, you may be able to use these pictures to back up your claim.
5. Don't accept any other payment methods other than PayPal or eBay's newer direct payment system
6.Monitor your account/email for buyer disputes. The time window for resolution is short, and if you don't respond you may lose the claim.
7. Create a FAQ list for buyers who are window shopping and ask a lot of questions
9.Ship as soon as payment is received. Again, there is a short window here and getting tagged as a fast shipper boosts your search results
10. Build a good and high feedback score as a buyer of lower priced items, and then as a seller of low priced items. Having a higher feedback score, quick ship times, flexible returns policy will give your item better search visibility.
11. Your credit card on file will be charged for fees each month, or with the newer system fees may be withheld from the buyer payment and your will receive the money with the fees deducted. Ensure that you are not delinquent on paying your monthly invoice.
12. Your listing should be simple and clear. Be familiar with listing policies and what may get you in trouble for a violation.
Great list, thx.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

Everyone,

Thank you for your time in sharing your experiences, etc., in reply to my post.

Here's what I will do, in this order, more or less:
As being new to eBay, first buy some low cost items to establish a rating.
Sell a few low cost items to build on the rating.
Make sure I have enough time to manage end-to-end sales.
Sell heavy stuff like the elliptical on CL or other no-commission e-market places. Learn how to use CL email system.
Overall, sell lighter and lower cost stuff on eBay to reduce risk of loss and to learn the ropes.
When selling (and buying), use PayPal only.
When shipping, use eBay postage system. Ship only when PayPal receives payment. Faster the shipping, the better.
For pricier products sold, get tracking plus signature upon receipt.
When selling, be realistic in selling price and use clear photos.
Review replies to my OP and add to above list.

All the best to you,
Werdy
boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie »

lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:05 pm Thanks for catching my typo. I corrected it in my original post.
It seems very standard for eBay'ers to mix up the terms seller and buyer. These mixups happened all the time on eBay's discussion forums. Also, just look through this thread...
Local pickup has never worked well on eBay. First, trying to reach a local customer on a national advertising site just doesn't work well. Second, if you do find a local buyer, there can be all sorts of payment issues: In one scenario, a local buyer pays you via PayPal, picks up the item, and then claims (to PayPal) that you never shipped the item.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:57 pm As being new to eBay, first buy some low cost items to establish a rating.
I wouldn't bother with this. Everyone on ebay started off with zero feedback. If the item is described well and priced well then it will attract buyers.
barefootjan

Post by barefootjan »

knightrider wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:05 am
lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:57 pm As being new to eBay, first buy some low cost items to establish a rating.
I wouldn't bother with this. Everyone on ebay started off with zero feedback. If the item is described well and priced well then it will attract buyers.
+1. Paying promptly for an item you wanted doesn't necessarily indicate what kind of seller you'll be. It's also very easy to get good feedback as a buyer - sellers are generally eager to give good feedback because it encourages the buyer to reciprocate. Unless you're going to buy something anyway, why waste the money?
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

barefootjan wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:26 pm
+1. Paying promptly for an item you wanted doesn't necessarily indicate what kind of seller you'll be. It's also very easy to get good feedback as a buyer - sellers are generally eager to give good feedback because it encourages the buyer to reciprocate. Unless you're going to buy something anyway, why waste the money?
I will give my counterpoint to this. A seller with (0) feedback is a red flag to me. Really anything under 5 or so, I will be wary of as a buyer. If a seller has completed a handful of transactions, even as a buyer, it tells me they are likely real and have at least a little experience with how eBay works.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

boomer_techie wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:26 am
lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:05 pm Thanks for catching my typo. I corrected it in my original post.
It seems very standard for eBay'ers to mix up the terms seller and buyer. These mixups happened all the time on eBay's discussion forums. Also, just look through this thread...

Local pickup has never worked well on eBay. First, trying to reach a local customer on a national advertising site just doesn't work well. Second, if you do find a local buyer, there can be all sorts of payment issues: In one scenario, a local buyer pays you via PayPal, picks up the item, and then claims (to PayPal) that you never shipped the item.
Good to know re: local pick-up.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

Kenkat wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:40 pm
Maybe Returns Accepted and Free Shipping along with a fair price & good photos, etc., would help make a buyer more comfortable with a new seller.

I will give my counterpoint to this. A seller with (0) feedback is a red flag to me. Really anything under 5 or so, I will be wary of as a buyer. If a seller has completed a handful of transactions, even as a buyer, it tells me they are likely real and have at least a little experience with how eBay works.
Thank you. I do understand your point of view.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

I was thinking the same.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

1. Never ship an item till the payment is received by PayPal/eBay. As a new seller, your funds will be held till shipping company provides confirmation of an arrival or delivery scan.
3. When selling lower priced items, aggressive buyers may use negative feedback as leverage. Don't fight that battle, and keep your feedback score close to 100%
4. Take pictures of shipped items and box before shipping. In case of a buyer scam, you may be able to use these pictures to back up your claim.
5. Don't accept any other payment methods other than PayPal or eBay's newer direct payment system
6.Monitor your account/email for buyer disputes. The time window for resolution is short, and if you don't respond you may lose the claim.
7. Create a FAQ list for buyers who are window shopping and ask a lot of questions
9.Ship as soon as payment is received. Again, there is a short window here and getting tagged as a fast shipper boosts your search results
10. Build a good and high feedback score as a buyer of lower priced items, and then as a seller of low priced items. Having a higher feedback score, quick ship times, flexible returns policy will give your item better search visibility.
11. Your credit card on file will be charged for fees each month, or with the newer system fees may be withheld from the buyer payment and your will receive the money with the fees deducted. Ensure that you are not delinquent on paying your monthly invoice.
12. Your listing should be simple and clear. Be familiar with listing policies and what may get you in trouble for a violation.
Hello again. Could you please explain more about #5? I'm assuming that by accepting major credit cards a seller takes on more risk, i.e., a buyer can dispute the purchase down the line with the cc company? Is this why you (and others) recommend not accepting payment methods other than PayPal or the newer direct payment system? How does the newer direct payment system work? Thx!
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

I've added the following questions to my original post and as a Post A Reply.

Sign-in question:
When signing in to eBay, is there a preference for either Apple or Gmail?

PayPal (PP) question:
How does PayPal work with the credit card (cc) if you a seller? A buyer? End-to-end?

Shipping:
1) Is there a guideline to individual sellers as to when to offer free shipping? Everyone likes free shipping but it’s costly for individual sellers. I read just to build the free shipping cost into the price.
2) What kind of scale should I use?
3) If you’ve not offering free shipping, how do you include shipping cost in a listing when you don’t know the zip code you are shipping to?
4) People are used to same or next day delivery by Amazon and big box retailers. Do eBay buyers tolerate more economical ground shipping?

Returns:
The first thing I have to sell is a collectible/vintage gear item in the range of $350-400. The item has sold up to $499 but usually $399 and as low as $180 within the last year. My sense is to use No Returns since it is a collectible. Thoughts?
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:05 pm
boomer_techie wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:55 am
lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:18 am 1) How does payment work on eBay? For ex, if a buyer wants to buy something, how does the buyer pay the seller? Through PayPal or credit cards (cc)? If so, how does this actually work? And how then does the seller receive payment?
For a long time it was through PayPal. The received funds would sit in PayPal until the seller moved them to their checking account - or spent them buying other stuff on eBay.

With the eBay/PayPal divorce, things might be changing.

Also, I know that eBay charges the seller 10% on the sale price of an item, but does the seller or buyer also pay a transaction fee to PayPal/cc?
No buyer fees.
2) I have already added my own cc to my account. What role does my own cc have in the selling process? Or is it just there if I wish to buy something?
With the eBay/PayPal divorce, I think eBay can directly charge your purchases to a CC. Also, you might be able to use it to pay your seller fees.
3) If I want to try to sell a high quality elliptical (200 lbs) machine in great condition, what is the safest way to have a seller come to my home to look at it or buy it? (note: I would try to put it on Craig's List but that seems more risky because the machine can't be stored in a garage or an unfinished basement, per the manual. The potential buyer would have to come into my home.)
I see you're already on your way to be an eBay seller - you're already mixing up "seller" and "buyer".
Thanks for catching my typo. I corrected it in my original post.

Don't try selling a 200# machine on eBay.
4) How does a seller decide whether to offer returns or no returns? Seems to me, things like collectibles or a 200 lb machine would not be returnable since they may be returned damaged.
Offer refunds = buyer sends unwanted item back, you refund the buyer.

Not offer refunds = buyer throws unwanted item in trash, eBay takes money from you to refund the buyer.
I understand the perspective, thanks!

I'll look into this, thx.
boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie »

lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:41 am When signing in to eBay, is there a preference for either Apple or Gmail?
I've always signed in with my eBay ID, not an email address.
PayPal (PP) question:
How does PayPal work with the credit card (cc) if you a seller? A buyer? End-to-end?
As a buyer: The PayPal is linked to either or both a CC and a checking account. When making a purchase, it either pulls from the checking, or makes CC transaction. (If the buyer has a PayPal balance, then that's also an option.)

As a seller: After PayPal deducts their fee (totally separate from eBay's fee!), they drop the amount in your PayPal balance. You can have it transferred to your checking, or you can spend it. Some transactions, that PayPal finds risky, may freeze the funds for a while.
1) Is there a guideline to individual sellers as to when to offer free shipping? Everyone likes free shipping but it’s costly for individual sellers. I read just to build the free shipping cost into the price.
See below regarding the hassle of computed shipping.

If the item is light, or can go in a Priority Mail flat rate box, then "free shipping" works good. With those, the shipping cost won't really depend on the buyer's location.
Whatever is need for the weight of items you sell. Be aware it needs to be quite accurate. Shipping companies will charge for the next pound when even the slightest bit over the boundary. Also note, the box is also part of the weight you pay for.
3) If you’ve not offering free shipping, how do you include shipping cost in a listing when you don’t know the zip code you are shipping to?
At one point eBay let you include shipping info that lets them compute the shipping price once the buyer plugs in their address. Note though that this might not include your preferred shipping company. You may also have difficulty getting that rate.

Things have changed since I last sold.
4) People are used to same or next day delivery by Amazon and big box retailers. Do eBay buyers tolerate more economical ground shipping?
Depends what your selling.
Returns:
The first thing I have to sell is a collectible/vintage gear item in the range of $350-400. The item has sold up to $499 but usually $399 and as low as $180 within the last year. My sense is to use No Returns since it is a collectible. Thoughts?
As I said above, "no returns" means that if the buyer didn't like it, they can get their money back without returning the item. This is an item where you absolutely want to do "returns".

Based on you questions, you really need some experience being an eBay buyer!
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Once you have an eBay account, you should go to the Seller Center, which leads you to a Community forum link. Lots of good info from other sellers and buyers. I found it tremendously useful.
Buying a digital scale will be a useful experience. Mine is an Ultraship-35, bought maybe 20 years ago for about $25.

Another idea - get eBay for Dummies. Used copies available on eBay.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

boomer_techie wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:36 am
lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:41 am When signing in to eBay, is there a preference for either Apple or Gmail?
I've always signed in with my eBay ID, not an email address.
PayPal (PP) question:
As a buyer: The PayPal is linked to either or both a CC and a checking account. When making a purchase, it either pulls from the checking, or makes CC transaction. (If the buyer has a PayPal balance, then that's also an option.)

As a seller: After PayPal deducts their fee (totally separate from eBay's fee!), they drop the amount in your PayPal balance. You can have it transferred to your checking, or you can spend it. Some transactions, that PayPal finds risky, may freeze the funds for a while.
See below regarding the hassle of computed shipping.

If the item is light, or can go in a Priority Mail flat rate box, then "free shipping" works good. With those, the shipping cost won't really depend on the buyer's location.
Whatever is need for the weight of items you sell. Be aware it needs to be quite accurate. Shipping companies will charge for the next pound when even the slightest bit over the boundary. Also note, the box is also part of the weight you pay for.
At one point eBay let you include shipping info that lets them compute the shipping price once the buyer plugs in their address. Note though that this might not include your preferred shipping company. You may also have difficulty getting that rate.

Things have changed since I last sold.
Depends what your selling.
Returns:
As I said above, "no returns" means that if the buyer didn't like it, they can get their money back without returning the item. This is an item where you absolutely want to do "returns".

Based on you questions, you really need some experience being an eBay buyer!
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions so well. You are right - I need real experience on eBay.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

RudyS wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:23 pm Once you have an eBay account, you should go to the Seller Center, which leads you to a Community forum link. Lots of good info from other sellers and buyers. I found it tremendously useful.
Buying a digital scale will be a useful experience. Mine is an Ultraship-35, bought maybe 20 years ago for about $25.

Another idea - get eBay for Dummies. Used copies available on eBay.
Good resources, thank you!
pcsrini

Post by pcsrini »

lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:37 am
Hello again. Could you please explain more about #5? I'm assuming that by accepting major credit cards a seller takes on more risk, i.e., a buyer can dispute the purchase down the line with the cc company? Is this why you (and others) recommend not accepting payment methods other than PayPal or the newer direct payment system? How does the newer direct payment system work? Thx!
Yes, the buyer can dispute the charge if you do plan to accept credit cards directly and cause a chargeback. If you used PayPal, PayPal and EBay have a dispute resolution system and you generally have better protection. Also, some buyers offer to pay cash or send money etc via other means - these are red flags as you lose leverage if you ship the item. They may give you a story about being stranded etc. Respond stating you understand and you will be glad to ship after the payment is cleared through PayPal. There is at times a delay with PayPal if the buyer has insufficient funds or funding sources. After the payment clears (even if it’s held till you ship the item and generate the shipping event), you can Ship the item.
The direct payment system will deduct your fees and deposit the remainder of the funds into your Bank account. This is probably the experience new sellers get. Once you have some sales under your belt, you may be able to chose to get invoiced for the fees at the end of the month if you prefer this method.
Good luck and best wishes for becoming an eBay seller !!
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

oko wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:40 am I will respectfully disagree with many of the above. I have been selling on ebay for 20 years. I am not a professional seller at all, I only sell my used stuff.

* I probably sold 500+ items in the last 20 years. Probably 5 or so returns requested by buyers. All except one was for legitimate reasons.
* Only one I suspect was a fraudster. It was a $20 restaurant gift card, and the buyer claimed it has no value in it.
* As Tim Ferris says in his "4 hour work-week", majority of people are honest and fraudsters are really small minority. (Tim Ferris was offering 110% money back guarantee for the stuff he sold. And he still succeeded).
* I have seen pretty nice people:
* I was selling my brother's lotr cards that he got as a gift. One buyer send me extra money because I had no idea what I was selling and apparently a "foil" item was more valuable than a non-foil.
* One item I sold did not reach the buyer for over a month. The buyer did not accept a refund, she kept saying "it is not your fault, it is post office's fault" (it eventually found its way).
* Many times I got compliments saying that "the item was better than he/she expected."
* If you go with local sales on craigslist/nextdoor (which I do also for large/unshippable items), you will (in general) get much less cash than ebay and dealing people locally is more frustrating for me (mostly for no-shows). But I found a nice way for this also: I leave the items on our porch and buyer leaves the money under the doormat. This way, "no-show" is no issue. And there was not a single buyer who stole the item (one left $20 instead of $10 though, because he thought the item was worth $20 :-)).
I agree 100%
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

I've been buying and selling stuff on Ebay since 1999. I've had exactly 1 bad transaction(2000) in the several hundred I have done.

My advice.

1. Anything that you can sell locally for a fair price via facebook/craigslist do so.
2. Unless you live in a very large metro area don't even think about selling something on Ebay for local pickup only. Go to craigslist/facebook.
3. If the item is worth a lot of money think twice though I have sold $4500 items on Ebay with no issues.

Anyone that says Facebook or craigslist isn't full of scammers is mistaken. List something for over $500 and they'll be contacting you too.

4. You can fight a paypal chargeback.
5. Do not ship internationally, at least stay away from Africa, Indonesia and the usual fraudster places. I have purchased plenty from China and Europe and been fine.
6. If it's music equipment etc try reverb.
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

Within the last few months I've recently started using Ebay to make some purchases for a hobby of mine. A few things I've noticed:

I've now experienced several auctions where bids that were higher than mine were rescinded. I wonder why this was happening, and after googling, it looks like this is a fairly common tactic for people to figure out my true willingness to pay for an item. In other words, the bid higher than mine was never intended to purchase an item, just to find out my max purchase price. There are little to no repercussions for rescinding bids.

The second item I tried to purchase I was ecstatic when I got at a 70% discount to what it normally goes for. I paid immediately; a few hours later the seller cancelled the purchase because I didn't have enough feedback and he/she was concerned that I wouldn't pay....even though I had already paid. I filed a complaint with Ebay with evidence from my communications with him through ebay's messaging system; they ruled in his favor, I received no reason why, and was told that there is no appeal process.

I've now seen several items go to "private" bidding, where you cannot see who you are bidding against. Apparently this was put in place for, ahem, certain personal use items that people didn't want others to know that they had been purchasing. Why anyone would use private bidding on $50 baseball card is beyond me other than to have a friend/co-worker bid up the price.

One of my purchases was paid for and simply never came. I reached out to the seller and never received a response. I filed a complaint and finally was refunded my money 30 days later.

Another purchase I made was from a seller that had a 95% feedback rating. He/she had dozens of negative feedback comments about sending damaged items, poor customer service, etc. I didn't realize this until after I made the purchase - lesson learned on my part. Worse, the seller was verbally abusive in response to people that hadn't received items. The obvious solution would be to allow buyers to "hide" auctions/sales from horrible sellers. Unfortunately, Ebay does not allow buyers to block sellers in any way. I wonder why that is (sarcasm).

Ebay is basically a monopoly and exhibits many of the negative traits of one: increased fees, poor customer service, etc. As soon as a decent competitor comes along I'm out as fast as possible.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

pcsrini wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:33 am
Yes, the buyer can dispute the charge if you do plan to accept credit cards directly and cause a chargeback. If you used PayPal, PayPal and EBay have a dispute resolution system and you generally have better protection. Also, some buyers offer to pay cash or send money etc via other means - these are red flags as you lose leverage if you ship the item. They may give you a story about being stranded etc. Respond stating you understand and you will be glad to ship after the payment is cleared through PayPal. There is at times a delay with PayPal if the buyer has insufficient funds or funding sources. After the payment clears (even if it’s held till you ship the item and generate the shipping event), you can Ship the item.
The direct payment system will deduct your fees and deposit the remainder of the funds into your Bank account. This is probably the experience new sellers get. Once you have some sales under your belt, you may be able to chose to get invoiced for the fees at the end of the month if you prefer this method.
Hello, and a much delayed thank you for explaining more about #5!
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:16 pm
Watty wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 am
bob60014 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:55 am One reason I stopped using eBay are the high fees for selling and for payments. Plus I don't like their return policy, they always side with the buyer no matter the situation.
+1

We used to sell stuff on eBay and over the years sold several hundred things on eBay. About 7 or 8 years ago they changed their business model and took any all protections for small seller and there are scammers that know how to game the system to basically steal stuff. We occasionally still sell stuff there that would be hard to sell any other way but I would never try selling anything there that would cost more than about $50 dollars now.

Most sales went fine and we only ran into a few problems ourselves but the one that really turned us off eBay was;

1) My wife listed some high end shoes that would have sold for several hundred dollars when new.
2) They sell for maybe $40 which was an OK price.
3) Seller waits about 28 days of the 30 day dispute window(I forget the details) and contacts us to say that she has a problem with the shoes.
4) We say OK return them and if the problem is true we will refund your money and pay for shipping.(We did not take returns for no reason.)
5) Seller responds that she cannot return the shoes because she is out of the country on a trip now.
6) She files a dispute with eBay, and gets an automatic refund within 15 seconds of filing the dispute even though she did not return the shoes.
7) 15 seconds after eBay got her dispute we get a message from eBay saying something like, "After careful consideration we decided in the buyers favor." There is no way to appeal the decision.
8) They even charged us fees to process the refund.

Anyway the seller got to keep the shoes and a full refund.

We were out; the shoes, the cost of shipping, the sales fees, and additional fees to process the refund.
Not a fair way to do business. Thank you.
Another comment: Sounds like the old department store business model, Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Money Back. Or, The Customer Is Aways Right. Ex: The old Sears Roebuck. LL Bean (now returns allowed within 1 yr. of purchase but used to be lifetime return guarantee). Except eBay really has two types of customers, Buyer & Seller. In your example above, eBay failed you, the Seller.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 am
pcsrini wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:33 am
Hello, and a much delayed thank you for explaining more about #5!
I opened an eBay account. Sold the collectible tent via a great buyer-seller transaction. So thank you, all.

I do have a question. In my account, I selected PayPal payment only. However, in my listings, it shows PayPal plus the major credit cards. So I returned to my account and verified that I did check "yes" for PayPay only. But I also read that PayPal
may use/take (??) the major credit cards, or to that effect. I'll have to return to PP and copy the exact explanation but have you seen this in any of your listing? Thx.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

wfrobinette wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:01 am
oko wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:40 am I will respectfully disagree with many of the above. I have been selling on ebay for 20 years. I am not a professional seller at all, I only sell my used stuff.

* I probably sold 500+ items in the last 20 years. Probably 5 or so returns requested by buyers. All except one was for legitimate reasons.
* Only one I suspect was a fraudster. It was a $20 restaurant gift card, and the buyer claimed it has no value in it.
* As Tim Ferris says in his "4 hour work-week", majority of people are honest and fraudsters are really small minority. (Tim Ferris was offering 110% money back guarantee for the stuff he sold. And he still succeeded).
* I was selling my brother's lotr cards that he got as a gift. One buyer send me extra money because I had no idea what I was selling and apparently a "foil" item was more valuable than a non-foil.
* One item I sold did not reach the buyer for over a month. The buyer did not accept a refund, she kept saying "it is not your fault, it is post office's fault" (it eventually found its way).
* Many times I got compliments saying that "the item was better than he/she expected."
* If you go with local sales on craigslist/nextdoor (which I do also for large/unshippable items), you will (in general) get much less cash than ebay and dealing people locally is more frustrating for me (mostly for no-shows). But I found a nice way for this also: I leave the items on our porch and buyer leaves the money under the doormat. This way, "no-show" is no issue. And there was not a single buyer who stole the item (one left $20 instead of $10 though, because he thought the item was worth $20 :-)).
I agree 100%
My eBay experiences thus far:

In my first sold-item experience, I had repo' copy of the tent brochure that I included in the sale. Then, after the sale, I found the original brochure and sent it to him. He was very happy. I also returned the $20 shipping fee he paid because the post-office delayed delivery due to cut in overtime hours. The buyer really appreciated that, too. In a current listing, a "watcher" sent me questions about an item. I answered it thoroughly. He commented that I was "a very honest man".

I also bought an $11.00 item that I needed with a $5-off eBay incentive coupon in order to get a positive rating.

So I have a whopping positive feedback rating of 2 for 1 sale and 1 purchase.

On the downside:

I listed a high value item. And two fraudsters, one day after the other, sent me messages asking me to "kindly" call him/her "no" (now). Classic red flag message with misspellings, too. I reported both to eBay. They more or less said this happens a lot with new sellers, with people trying to "trick" an inexperienced seller to contact them. They also said that they wish more people would take the time to report rather than ignore so they can close their accounts.

One of my items reports that I have 10 watchers, for ex. I hit send an offer to all and it showed that a different number than 10, off by 3. The inconsistency shows up a lot. Strange little things like this are not cool for an operation that does billions & billions in business.

As far as customer service, chat-only has been available at eBay. Rarely has phone contact bn available apparently due to Covid. So when I report glitch type things, such as a message saying I have 2 member messages when in fact I had already responded to each of them, eBay responded & verified & informed me that they will send this issue to a team. I never received a follow-up. The "you have two messages" is still announced in my messages.

One more thing re fees:

I did the math & discovered that eBay's 10% fee charged to the seller's item dollar amount also applies to the shipping amount amount!! So the seller is paying 10% on the item dollar amt and the shipping amount. So much for using eBay for shipping discounts?? To charge a fee on a federal service (in this case, USPS) seems illegal.

I actually called eBay with questions why its charges 10% on shipping costs and I actually got to talk to a someone by phone. The rep said they are doing this because some sellers reduce the item price to beat the competition but then increase the postage cost to make up the reduction. (I'm thinking, can't the buyer see the inflated shipping cost?) Anyway, the rep suggested that I just add the actual cost of shipping into the item list price. I asked, How does this help when either way, the seller is paying 10% on shipping cost?! Sure, the seller can play with this equation & come out ahead assuming the item will sell this way but it's a ridiculous way to charge fees.

And, PP's 2.9% fee? It applies to the item dollar amount (ok), the shipping amount, (not ok, especial if USPS), and the tax on the item (kid you not, a fee on a tax!). (Plus the $0.35 fee as I recall.)

Regarding searching for answers to your own questions to avoid an eBay chat, I follow the links, such as "Selling", but the limited 6 or so choices do not relate to my inquiry, at all. But there's no option to "chat". You have to find the chat link through other inquiry paths. Unreal.
boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie »

lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:24 am One of my items reports that I have 10 watchers, for ex. I hit send an offer to all and it showed that a different number than 10, off by 3. The inconsistency shows up a lot. Strange little things like this are not cool for an operation that does billions & billions in business.
Quite likely the other three users have disabled the receiving of offers. BTW, ignore the number of watchers - they may be sellers with the same item who want to know how your listing does. Or they could be buyers who bought something else but wanted to remember their second choice.*

* Last fall I searched for an auto part. Found five choices, bought one, saved four on my watch list in case the first one arrived broken. I didn't clear them off for a month because I had the part sent to where the vehicle was - all the way across the country.
I did the math & discovered that eBay's 10% fee charged to the seller's item dollar amount also applies to the shipping amount amount!! So the seller is paying 10% on the item dollar amt and the shipping amount.
As eBay explained, too many sellers were jacking up the shipping to save on fees. I wish eBay would set it up so a buyer pays the exact shipping and the seller merely receives a shipping label with no fee on top of it.

Be aware that some jurisdictions require sellers to collect sales tax on shipping charges!
And, PP's 2.9% fee? It applies to the item dollar amount (ok), the shipping amount, (not ok, especial if USPS), and the tax on the item (kid you not, a fee on a tax!). (Plus the $0.35 fee as I recall.)
PayPal is just a money transferrer. Of course the fee applies to the whole amount transferred - same as when you swipe a CC at a merchant.
boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie »

lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:42 am I do have a question. In my account, I selected PayPal payment only. However, in my listings, it shows PayPal plus the major credit cards. So I returned to my account and verified that I did check "yes" for PayPay only. But I also read that PayPal
may use/take (??) the major credit cards, or to that effect.
Of course PayPal will show the CC's! These days they're primarily a credit card processor. Just like Verifone or Square at a brick and mortar merchant.

Consider yourself lucky in that PayPal advances you the CC payment right away. CC processors for large merchants may delay 30, 60, or more days - long enough for the customer to actually pay their CC bill or start paying interest.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:24 am
wfrobinette wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:01 am

I agree 100%
My eBay experiences thus far:

I actually called eBay with questions why its charges 10% on shipping costs and I actually got to talk to a someone by phone. The rep said they are doing this because some sellers reduce the item price to beat the competition but then increase the postage cost to make up the reduction. (I'm thinking, can't the buyer see the inflated shipping cost?) Anyway, the rep suggested that I just add the actual cost of shipping into the item list price. I asked, How does this help when either way, the seller is paying 10% on shipping cost?! Sure, the seller can play with this equation & come out ahead assuming the item will sell this way but it's a ridiculous way to charge fees.

I've seen several items as the lowest price plus $300 in shipping for something should cost less than $50 to ship.

The big shipping discounts are with Fedex

I agree its ridiculous fees. However, it does broaden the market beyond your local community.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Another satisfied eBayer. I've been on the platform since 1999. I sold over 1,000 items in the first ten years. Then for about ten years I sold nothing. The one item that I sold primarily had fallen out of favor and I just wasn't interested in looking for a new item.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. I want to get rid of a lot of things prior to moving. I've completed ~120 auctions in the past couple of months for a total of $5.5K. Cheapest item was $1.99 and most expensive was $399. One buyer wasn't pleased - I spoke with him about it and we agreed on a compromise (he would keep the item and I refunded a percentage of his purchase price). One buyer backed out - auction stated for local pickup or that I would send FedEx at cost for them to pack and ship. The FedEx price was more than they wanted to pay. So I went to the runner-up and cut a deal to sell to them at my original listing price (which I would have been happy to receive) plus FedEx fees.

Yes there are fees. Nothing is free. I'm not going to join Facebook just to sell there. My experience trying to liquidate nearly new office furniture on Craigslist was a joke - ended up calling Goodwill and giving almost all of it away. I think the best I got was $15 for a $500 file cabinet. To me eBay is the best platform that I know of to sell anything and everything.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

boomer_techie wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:11 am
lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:24 am One of my items reports that I have 10 watchers, for ex. I hit send an offer to all and it showed that a different number than 10, off by 3. The inconsistency shows up a lot. Strange little things like this are not cool for an operation that does billions & billions in business.
Quite likely the other three users have disabled the receiving of offers. BTW, ignore the number of watchers - they may be sellers with the same item who want to know how your listing does. Or they could be buyers who bought something else but wanted to remember their second choice.*

* Last fall I searched for an auto part. Found five choices, bought one, saved four on my watch list in case the first one arrived broken. I didn't clear them off for a month because I had the part sent to where the vehicle was - all the way across the country.

Very helpful!
I did the math & discovered that eBay's 10% fee charged to the seller's item dollar amount also applies to the shipping amount amount!! So the seller is paying 10% on the item dollar amt and the shipping amount.
As eBay explained, too many sellers were jacking up the shipping to save on fees. I wish eBay would set it up so a buyer pays the exact shipping and the seller merely receives a shipping label with no fee on top of it. Like that idea.

Be aware that some jurisdictions require sellers to collect sales tax on shipping charges!
PayPal is just a money transferrer. Of course the fee applies to the whole amount transferred - same as when you swipe a CC at a merchant.
This occurred to me after I posted early this a.m. But thank you!
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

boomer_techie wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:21 am
lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:42 am I do have a question. In my account, I selected PayPal payment only. However, in my listings, it shows PayPal plus the major credit cards. So I returned to my account and verified that I did check "yes" for PayPay only. But I also read that PayPal
may use/take (??) the major credit cards, or to that effect.
Of course PayPal will show the CC's! These days they're primarily a credit card processor. Just like Verifone or Square at a brick and mortar merchant.

Consider yourself lucky in that PayPal advances you the CC payment right away. CC processors for large merchants may delay 30, 60, or more days - long enough for the customer to actually pay their CC bill or start paying interest.
I am lucky! I sold the item in one day at a competitive price, & PP funded my account with the buyer's payment in two weeks which was great given I'm a new seller.

But I have a question: If a seller selects PP as the only payment method while PP also shows/accepts all major CC, how is the payment method considered PP-only on the seller's end?
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

7eight9 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:07 pm Another satisfied eBayer. I've been on the platform since 1999. I sold over 1,000 items in the first ten years. Then for about ten years I sold nothing. The one item that I sold primarily had fallen out of favor and I just wasn't interested in looking for a new item.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. I want to get rid of a lot of things prior to moving. I've completed ~120 auctions in the past couple of months for a total of $5.5K. Cheapest item was $1.99 and most expensive was $399. One buyer wasn't pleased - I spoke with him about it and we agreed on a compromise (he would keep the item and I refunded a percentage of his purchase price). One buyer backed out - auction stated for local pickup or that I would send FedEx at cost for them to pack and ship. The FedEx price was more than they wanted to pay. So I went to the runner-up and cut a deal to sell to them at my original listing price (which I would have been happy to receive) plus FedEx fees.

Yes there are fees. Nothing is free. I'm not going to join Facebook just to sell there. My experience trying to liquidate nearly new office furniture on Craigslist was a joke - ended up calling Goodwill and giving almost all of it away. I think the best I got was $15 for a $500 file cabinet. To me eBay is the best platform that I know of to sell anything and everything.
Now that I know more through very limited buying and selling on eBay (and "window selling") on Craigslist (CL), and with the forums much appreciated contributions, including yours, I can see that the two are very different opportunities, so to speak.

Generally, eBay is national-international in scope with listing both new & used items that seem to be sold more or less competitively. Fees apply. Fast shipping is key. Local pick-up. Buyers & Sellers are rated. Various payment methods to choose. Guarantee. "The customer (buyer, not seller) is always right." It is more marketing oriented.

Whereas CL is a local e-store of sorts, mostly used items that can be bought and sold for whatever the market may bring, in the spirit of a mom-and-pop feel. No fees. Buyer-seller meet at a mutually agreed upon location. May be the option for heavy items. No third-party. Cash driven. No buyer-seller ratings to speak of. No guarantee.

Of course, exceptions apply. And, one has to be careful with both options.

I think the eBay fees are reasonable for the exposure one gets in return. An approximate total fee of 13% is fair; eBay & PayPal (PP) combined.

Where eBay needs immediate improvement is objectivity in buyer-seller disputes, buyer-seller access by phone, buyer-seller web content & navigation, at the very least.

So thx, all, for sharing your experiences and offering suggestions!

One more comment: Going into eBay, I knew about fees. What shocked me was that eBay charged 10% on a Federal Service (USPS). What surprised me further was that PP did the same AND charged 2.9% on amount of taxes on the sold item. I shouldn't have been surprised about PP because as the forum has gently reminded me, PP is a payment processing business.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:18 am
Hello,

I'm new to eBay. I'm not intending to big a major seller. I just want to try to sell of few items I have around the house. In retirement, so a little extra cash would be helpful.

Anyway, I set up an account but haven't yet listed anything yet because I need to set up payment options, such as a PayPal account, too.

1) How does payment work on eBay? For ex, if a buyer wants to buy something, how does the buyer pay the seller? Through PayPal or credit cards (cc)? If so, how does this actually work? And how then does the seller receive payment?

3) If I want to try to sell a high quality elliptical (200 lbs) machine in great condition, what is the safest way to have a potential buyer come to my home to look or buy it? (note: I would try to put it on Craig's List but that seems more risky because the machine can't be stored in a garage or an unfinished basement, per the manual. The potential buyer would have to come into my home.)

Thanks in advance,
Werdy

Additional questions added July 14:

Sign-in question:
When signing in to eBay, is there a preference for either Apple or Gmail?

PayPal (PP) question:

Shipping:

Returns:

I added this question September 23, 2020:

eBay is my preferred e-store for selling vintage or other items in good shape. To increase eBay traffic (views), add a very brief version of the eBay item listing to the respective CraigsList (CL) category. In the CL listing, also give CL buyer the eBay item number and/or link. Ask CL buyer to eBay visit my CL listing for full description, listing price, make an offer option, and pictures, and more.

I don't want to cross-market on FB.
boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie »

lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:35 pm But I have a question: If a seller selects PP as the only payment method while PP also shows/accepts all major CC, how is the payment method considered PP-only on the seller's end?[/color]
It is PayPal only because PayPal is the one that processes the CC. You as the seller never get the buyer's CC number. In fact, you can't tell if the buyer used a CC, pulled from their checking account, or spent a PayPal balance. In other words, you as the seller are not privy as to how the buyer funds their PayPal account.

Once upon a time, eBay sellers could list a variety of payment methods. Such as: PayPal, eBay's own payment processor before they bought PayPal, personal check mailed to the seller, money order mailed to the seller, seller's own CC processor, Western Union, and probably others.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

boomer_techie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:50 am
lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:35 pm But I have a question: If a seller selects PP as the only payment method while PP also shows/accepts all major CC, how is the payment method considered PP-only on the seller's end?[/color]
It is PayPal only because PayPal is the one that processes the CC. You as the seller never get the buyer's CC number. In fact, you can't tell if the buyer used a CC, pulled from their checking account, or spent a PayPal balance. In other words, you as the seller are not privy as to how the buyer funds their PayPal account.

Once upon a time, eBay sellers could list a variety of payment methods. Such as: PayPal, eBay's own payment processor before they bought PayPal, personal check mailed to the seller, money order mailed to the seller, seller's own CC processor, Western Union, and probably others.
Dear boomer_techie - Thank you! Your explanations are very helpful.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (eBay).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:27 pm This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (eBay).
My apology. I thought I started this in the Personal Consumer Issues tab.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

This thread did inspire me to try Craigslist again for an item too heavy to easily sell on eBay. Today I got rid of a 20 year old 3.5 ton floor jack for $80 after listing it two weeks ago. I threw in a couple of jack stands for free because he was a good buyer. Came by promptly. Didn't try to renegotiate the price. Paid cash.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.