Anybody use a percussion massage device?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jkushne1

Anybody use a percussion massage device?

Post by jkushne1 »

Over the past year I've started to commit much more to fitness but the muscles just don't recover "like they used to". I've heard a lot about some of the newer handheld percussion massage devices and was wondering if anybody had experience and felt it was worth the cost. Also, if you had experience as to which brand & model was the best. Theragun (pro/elite/prime models) and Hypervolt seem to be some of the top brands in quick research, each with different price points. 
travelspot

Re: Anybody use a percussion massage device?

Post by travelspot »

Oh yes. Hypervolt is awesome. Have had it for almost a year. Very popular in my house and also an excellent conversation piece with friends. Everyone loves it.

Very helpful for relieving tightness.
If you don't do stuff, then you don't do stuff.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I have not personally used one. However a close coworker of mine swears by his. He has the real deal, Theragun.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Interested too..
This time next year, we'll be millionaires!
pcsrini

Post by pcsrini »

If you want to give this a try, Amazon has a lightning deal on a highly rated (FWIW) device. May be worth trying this before buying a more expensive unit ..

https://www.amazon.com/Snailax-Cordless ... B085TFFNMR
Sage16

Post by Sage16 »

Our personal trainer has the Theragun G2Pro and recommended we buy one to use on the tight spots in our back and legs. When we went to buy one, the Theragun G3Pro was out so we bought that. It is pricy. It has 2 power settings and the high is nice and strong. We have a cheaper massager that we bought first that doesn't have anywhere near the same power and benefit but it does come in handy if you have a very tender spot that you want to be a bit ginger with. However we love the Theragun and it gets deep down in the muscle. When I checked reviews , Theregun seemed to come out ahead of the Hypervolt. One really nice feature is the triangle design to the handle. It comes in very handy to change hand positions for holding it so your hand doesn't get tired as fast. Bottom line, if you are willing to spend the $$$, we found value in it.
Bogle on investing: Diversify, focus on low costs, invest for the long term. Don't speculate and don't be distracted by volatility.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

I bought one a couple of months ago on the recommendation of a running buddy, because I hadn't been able to get a massage since March. I had a knot in my quad that was indirectly making my knee hurt.

He had good things to say about this one, so I bought the same one. It seems well made, and the battery does last a long time. I just charged it for the first time since the initial charge, after it finally dropped to about 30%. I doubt I will ever use more than a few of the assortment of massage heads. It has a nice case.

Overall, it seems a useful addition to The Stick and foam roller that I use for self massage. It's particularly useful for my hamstrings, where I also get knots and which are very hard to self treat. (I typically run marathons a few times a year and run 60-85+ miles per week in training.)
slyboots

Post by slyboots »

Theragun elite here. Have had for a couple months since lockdown started and we could not get our regular sports massages (wife and I are fitness enthusiasts). New model elite is fairly quiet and we've both been very happy with it. I recommend.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Been using a Thumper for about 20 years now....

Love it!

https://www.massagetools.com/thumper-sp ... sager.html
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

I didn't like percussive so much, but really like the kneading type that you apply with armbands. We got the one from costco and it's been awesome:
https://www.costco.com/trumedic-instash ... 60910.html

There are cheaper knockoffs on amazon, but I couldn't tell you if they're good.

Also, you might consider checking out self-massage using a lacrosse ball. After a car accident, I was taught to use one in PT, and they do a pretty good job of releasing tight muscles. Just google "lacrosse ball massage" for videos and articles like this: https://www.healthline.com/health/fitne ... -massage#1 Basically, you lean on a surface (like a wall) and use the ball to apply pressure to any tight muscles. After about 15 sec of direct steady pressure, most cramps will relax.

At $3 from the local sports store, the lacrosse ball is probably one of the most cost-effective approaches. Now, I always throw one in the luggage for any trips.
Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 »

https://vybepercussion.com/products/vybe-v2-massage-gun

After reading many reviews, I bought the Vybe version 2.0 from Amazon. It has the same power as the Theragun but typically sells for $ 150. A very nice piece of kit, with long-lasting batteries and as much power as you can stand. I use it for muscle rehab after exercise and for bilateral hip soreness secondary to various orthopedic issues.
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

Bought a cheap knockoff on Amazon a few months ago. Now on sale for $86.

Works great. Seems to be well built.
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

I have an OPOVE M3. It is an off brand, mid-tier massage gun that sells for around $200. Overall I am pretty happy. It is hands down better than any other massage or muscle recovery tool I have used but still not as effective as a real massage.

I would also add that the more flexible you are, the better. I can use the tool on everything but a few tough to reach spots on my back. My father loves it too but needs help for some areas.
Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe »

Yes. The percussion massage is VERY helpful to get "older" muscles to recover. Highly recommend.

Also. Make sure you are eating enough protein (immediately following a workout).

And, you might try L-Glutamine for a few months. GNC makes a good product; don't need a prescription. It's an Amino acid that older bodies make less of. It immediately took care of my muscle soreness and (along with regular exercise) helped rebuild muscles. It is also often prescribed for "leaky gut" syndrome, or for patients going through chemo to restore their gut. Works great.

Check with your doctor first---as I did---to make sure this is for you.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Versa Thumper Mini Pro

pt and rehab center used it and it was great so I bought the same thing
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Versa Thumper Mini Pro

pt and rehab center used it and it was great so I bought the same thing
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

As a 53 year old ironman to be we use a lot of recover devices. Hypervolt percussion massager is one of them, trigger point foam roller another, and air relax compression leg sleeves.

I try to roll out and use the hypervolt daily and it makes a world of difference in my training and recovery.

I also use BCAAs after more intense workouts, specifically longer runs.
imsomeguy

Percussive Massage Gun

Post by imsomeguy »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Getting old sucks - I stretch a good amount but have been thinking about getting one of these massage guns. Does anyone have one? And which brand? Theragun is $400 but that seems pretty steep when there are tons on Amazon for around $100.

Thoughts?
motleyfop

Re: Percussive Massage Gun

Post by motleyfop »

I have the HyperIce Volt and think it is great and would recommend it. However, after watching this video review, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jeaDcoEY1I, I wonder if I should have gotten the Theragun.

The same person also reviewed some of the budget ones as well here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IZNisEEwDc
teniralc

Post by teniralc »

imsomeguy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:14 pm Getting old sucks - I stretch a good amount but have been thinking about getting one of these massage guns. Does anyone have one? And which brand? Theragun is $400 but that seems pretty steep when there are tons on Amazon for around $100.

Thoughts?
I like this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/NordicTrack- ... un&veh=sem

No real bells and whistles but is effective. The on/off button needs to be held do a bit to turn it on and off. We've gotten lots of use from this without spending too much
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

imsomeguy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:14 pm Getting old sucks - I stretch a good amount but have been thinking about getting one of these massage guns. Does anyone have one? And which brand? Theragun is $400 but that seems pretty steep when there are tons on Amazon for around $100.

Thoughts?
there was a thread on this already (let the search bar be your friend):
viewtopic.php?t=319696

I used that link above when doing research a few months ago. I purchased one but returned it as it didn't meet my needs.
Last edited by arcticpineapplecorp. on Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Thanks! I merged imsomeguy's thread into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
imsomeguy

Post by imsomeguy »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:31 pm ^^^ Thanks! I merged imsomeguy's thread into the on-going discussion.
Thank you!!
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

I bought one yesterday! I've been going to therapy for a shoulder injury and they have been using one on me, feels great! I bought a Sonic on Amazon on sale for $95. Works great, better than I thought it would. No need to spend $400 or so on a more expensive model. I was worried it wouldn't be powerful enough. ..Plenty of power and extremely quiet. Very happy with my purchase.