Online Scrabble and other games

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Online Scrabble and other games

Post by ThankYouJack »

I'm asking for a not so technical friend but great Scrabble player. Due to covid she's missing playing with other friends. Would rather have traditional scrabble than words with friends. Ideally the cost would be free, accessible on a PC (not just a mobile app) and limited with ads.

Any recommendations from those who play? And any other games a senior Scrabble player may enjoy.
sport

Re: Online Scrabble and other games

Post by sport »

This site has many good games: http://dkmsoftware.com/
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Unfortunately, I am heartbroken to tell you that Hasbro and EA just killed their half-decent online Scrabble app. The biggest problem I had with it was that it the Android version was unreliable connecting to the server on my Samsung tablet, but the app itself was reasonable. The phased it out in favor of something called Scrabble GO, which is vomitrocious, unacceptable, misses key features of the Scrabble app, and is entirely aimed at getting you to buy electronic tchotchkes, enter contests, accept challenges from total strangers, and.... ugh. I would have tolerated all of that stuff just to continue playing with my three established internet-Scrabble friends, but none of them were willing to accept Scrabble GO.

"Words with Friends" is close to Scrabble and it has many of the problems of Scrabble GO, but not as bad.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:48 pm And any other games a senior Scrabble player may enjoy.
OP,

If she is interested in trivia/quiz games she might enjoy this website:

https://www.sporcle.com/
siamond

Post by siamond »

Been a Scrabble player for my entire life, with on and off periods. Even a half-decent competitive player at some point. If one is wondering what my alias means, well, let's just say that only a Scrabble player could have come up with it.

Unfortunately, same experience as Nisiprius, the online game I was using got destroyed by absolutely inept game designers/marketeers. If one knows of a good classic Scrabble app which works on iOS, please speak up... I don't mind paying a few bucks if needs be.

In the mean time, I took a liking to Wordscapes. The dictionary limitations are a tad annoying, but the gaming app is very well designed and any Scrabble player should enjoy it. It may get boring after a few months, but it certainly kept me busy during this tough Covid time...
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Thanks for the replies. I personally don't like the layout of Words with Friends as much -- I feel like it emphasizes more defensive play. But will recommend it along with Wordscapes and the others.

I remember owning the CD-Rom version of Scrabble which was decent. I was always amazed at the "show best word" function. Looks like it's only available for Windows 95 / 98 tho :oops:
macaroon

Post by macaroon »

My absolute favorite is Pixie Pit Scrabble.https://thepixiepit.co.uk/

It's not free but it's cheap -- about $15 per year. Play is via email so you don't have to be online at the same time as your opponent. There are 2, 3 and 4 player games, as well as Super Scrabble. You can play with a friend or find someone online to play with, at whatever skill level you choose. It's real Scrabble, with Scrabble point values and rules. It's accessible via PC and there are no ads. If your friend is a serious player, she'll love it.

Here's a pretty helpful review of the site --https://thepixiepit.co.uk/scrabble/review.htm
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

https://www.pogo.com/free-online-games

It’s been a long time since I played on this site, but they have Scrabble. I believe it’s owned by EA Sports, or at least used to be.

Edit, well maybe never mind. I see a response on this thread says EA Sports killed their scrabble game. I see it showing on the site above, but I’m on my phone so didn’t try accessing the game. I don’t know if would work on a desktop.