Toyota OEM parts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sambb

Toyota OEM parts

Post by sambb »

Any recommendation of a online place to purchase toyota OEM parts for fast delivery with a 30% discount. Looking for a reliable place.
anon_investor

Re: Toyota OEM parts

Post by anon_investor »

I have found some stuff on Amazon sold by amazon.com. before.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

sambb wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:16 pm Any recommendation of a online place to purchase toyota OEM parts for fast delivery with a 30% discount. Looking for a reliable place.
I’ve bought parts for my Sienna at a number of “genericnameoemparts” sites online. Never had an issue at all and most (all?) were below dealership price.

I’ve had really good luck with body repair buying off eBay. You can usually get painted oem parts for -30% price at a minimum.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

eBay?
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

sambb wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:16 pm Any recommendation of a online place to purchase toyota OEM parts for fast delivery with a 30% discount. Looking for a reliable place.
Shops typically get 20% off or 25% if they buy a lot of parts. The chances of John Q. Public getting a 30% discount is slim. I'll bet they are heavily padding the shipping and handling.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

This place is typically recommended on Tacoma forums, dealership with good prices that does a high volume in parts online.

https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshohocken.com/
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

If a Costco member you can call the auto program and get a 15pct off coupon to use at dealership. Also use Google to search for dealers offering parts discount. Beware some counterfeit stuff on eBay, etc
ManOfIron35

Post by ManOfIron35 »

What type of parts are you looking for?

Go to google and type in Toyota OEM parts, and just go to an OE dealer. Pricing should remain even across most distributors.
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

rockauto.com
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Amazingly my local dealership has competitive prices on parts especially when you factor in you don't pay shipping.

I usually google the part I am looking for, get the Toyota OEM part # and google that some more, then determine the price with shipping. Then call my local dealership's parts department and see what their price is and if they have it in stock...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I get my engine air filters on Amazon and had a good experience buying an OEM hubcap on eBay. Same hubcap would have cost 5 times the price from the dealer.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

sk2101 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:35 amrockauto.com
I don't understand all the Rockauto responses for OEM parts. I can almost never find OEM parts on Rockauto - routine things like a water pump, etc. Maybe an oil filter for some brands, but that's about it. What are some OEM parts people are buying on Rockauto?
simplextableau

Post by simplextableau »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:27 am
I don't understand all the Rockauto responses for OEM parts. I can almost never find OEM parts on Rockauto - routine things like a water pump, etc. Maybe an oil filter for some brands, but that's about it. What are some OEM parts people are buying on Rockauto?
Rockauto sells a fair amount of Mopar parts. I've bought a radiator from them.
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

I bought a $600+ replacement mirror (don't ask) for my truck from McGeorge Toyota in VA. They were the only online parts dealer that didn't gouge on the shipping.

Cool Springs Toyota in TN also has a good online reputation.

If you read the enthusiasts forums, they will often have a favorite vendor.
chambers136

Post by chambers136 »

I’ve found good deals at the official Toyota parts website. You can search on the part, and list the dealers selling it by distance from you. I just keep opening each dealer listing and compare prices. You’ll find prices have significant variation, some have free shipping, etc
https://parts.toyota.com/?partner=3P_se ... lsrc=aw.ds
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

What parts do you need specifically? In some cases, OE or OEM parts (those are two different things) make sense, in others they make no sense at all.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

SimonJester wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:57 am Amazingly my local dealership has competitive prices on parts especially when you factor in you don't pay shipping.

I usually google the part I am looking for, get the Toyota OEM part # and google that some more, then determine the price with shipping. Then call my local dealership's parts department and see what their price is and if they have it in stock...
My Ford dealer also has good prices. In some cases, the prices are not more than the aftermarket. It's also the easiest way to get certain parts, like seldom-changed fluids that meet a certain spec for the transmission, differential, transfer case, or coolant.

A few things will have absurd prices, so if you don't know what a reasonable price is for a given component, do some research first. Car people tend to know this though, in the same way most of us know that $10 is too much for a loaf of bread. And yes, I know some of you buy fancy bread, but you're still paying too much at $10 a loaf. :twisted:
tommy85

Post by tommy85 »

I often find them cheaper here https://densoautoparts.com/find-my-part.aspx

Denso is part owned by Toyota and my understanding is that they make the official OEM for Toyota.
Mr. Market is Bipolar.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

jpelder

Post by jpelder »

I've had good luck buying parts for my Chevrolet from the General Motors store on Amazon. Prices are competitive, if not the absolute best. I would not buy from a third party seller on Amazon, only from Toyota themselves.
I've also found other sources on a forum for my car (CruzeTalk). You may have the same luck on a Toyota owners' forum.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

A lot of the common OE parts are not made by the OEM directly, but by a supplier. The question with respect to Rockauto, though, is which one?

Often you can find suggestions on brand enthusiast forums for who the OE supplier is thought to be for a given component. Also, some of Rock Auto's listings include the note "Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers." I'm not sure what that message is supposed to tell me, but given that those examples list part numbers in the description that sometimes match OEM part numbers, it may be that they are an OE supplier, but they can't state that explicitly through 3rd party sellers for commercial reasons.

The number of listings with alternate/OEM part numbers is confusing though. It seems to suggest OEM's use multiple suppliers for many parts or make small design changes over time, but there does seem to be a matches with OEM current and superseded part numbers.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:04 pm
A lot of the common OE parts are not made by the OEM directly, but by a supplier. The question with respect to Rockauto, though, is which one?

Often you can find suggestions on brand enthusiast forums for who the OE supplier is thought to be for a given component. Also, some of Rock Auto's listings include the note "Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers." I'm not sure what that message is supposed to tell me, but given that those examples list part numbers in the description that sometimes match OEM part numbers, it may be that they are an OE supplier, but they can't state that explicitly through 3rd party sellers for commercial reasons.

The number of listings with alternate/OEM part numbers is confusing though. It seems to suggest OEM's use multiple suppliers for many parts or make small design changes over time, but there does seem to be a matches with OEM current and superseded part numbers.
When I see the OEM number on Rock Auto, I assume that just means "intended as an alternate for..." I can't believe a vehicle manufacturer used ten different suppliers for the same part and sometimes I've seen about that many different manufacturers listed with the number in (). I can see two or even three but not more for most parts - there would just be too much overhead for doing that I would think, but I could be wrong.
simplextableau

Post by simplextableau »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:33 pm

When I see the OEM number on Rock Auto, I assume that just means "intended as an alternate for..." I can't believe a vehicle manufacturer used ten different suppliers for the same part and sometimes I've seen about that many different manufacturers listed with the number in (). I can see two or even three but not more for most parts - there would just be too much overhead for doing that I would think, but I could be wrong.
No, at least for Mopar, Rockauto sells the actual OEM Mopar parts -- exact same ones you'd buy at the dealership. Not just the same part number. I've purchased many of them. The actual manufacturer for the part is listed as MOPAR on Rockauto, not just a part number cross-reference. It seems to be limited to the more popular parts though.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

That does confuse me. I will note, however, that in the past I worked for a while for an industrial vehicle manufacturer, doing component test engineering. I remember one component we had 3 different suppliers for. Each was a unique, but compatible design (although one was an upgrade option), and a couple of them had minor revisions with their own individual part numbers.

I don't know if that explains what I see on Rock Auto. When I look at brake pads for our Outback, some of those with the alternate part note don't have part numbers matching what Subaru's parts website lists, so I suppose those others may be compatible, but not revisions that Subaru ever used on this generation of Outback?

I wish there was more clear information.
Candor

Post by Candor »

Time is your friend, impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle
klondike

Post by klondike »

I don't know about Toyota but I am the chief mechanic of my Honda fleet(3 Hondas and 1 Acura). I personally would never buy auto parts from eBay or Amazon. Too many counterfeits. They make no attempt to stop it.

There are online discount OE parts. Some Honda dealers has online parts department where you get deep discount if you order online. I'm sure Toyota will have something similar.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I've bought parts Toyota factory parts on Amazon and Ebay, I just make sure to really vet the seller and see they are a brick & mortar dealership.

There are a lot of counterfeit Toyota parts, you have to be careful.
ManOfIron35

Post by ManOfIron35 »

simplextableau wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:38 pm

No, at least for Mopar, Rockauto sells the actual OEM Mopar parts -- exact same ones you'd buy at the dealership. Not just the same part number. I've purchased many of them. The actual manufacturer for the part is listed as MOPAR on Rockauto, not just a part number cross-reference. It seems to be limited to the more popular parts though.
Rock Auto is basically only an eCommerce platform for automotive parts manufacturers and automotive parts distributors. They simply list manufacturers aftermarket catalouges, and use parts distributors to ship directly to you. Their pricing strategy is their COG and add a ~12-15% on top of that, which is why they are usually a lot cheaper than physical stores. They basically have no overhead as the actual team that runs the business is fairly small and is just a room with a bunch of servers in Madison.

When you search a part on RockAuto, you send the brand name of the auto part you want to purchase not who you're purchasing from (it could be a thousand different parts distributors). Rock Auto would sell the OEM part if they have distributors that carry them and sell them. Usually the OEM # is listed in parentheses for the aftermarket equivalent.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

klondike wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:13 pm I don't know about Toyota but I am the chief mechanic of my Honda fleet(3 Hondas and 1 Acura). I personally would never buy auto parts from eBay or Amazon. Too many counterfeits. They make no attempt to stop it.

There are online discount OE parts. Some Honda dealers has online parts department where you get deep discount if you order online. I'm sure Toyota will have something similar.
https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshohocken.com/

This is basically the Toyota version of the Honda usual suspects. College Hills, Brenadi, Saccucci
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

I have gotten suspension parts, brakes, filters, engine parts. I find it very useful that they classify the parts as Economy, Daily Driver (OEM is usually there) and Performance (better than OEM), so I can choose depending on my specific needs.

I imagine that the availability of OEM parts vary by manufacturer. But even if they don't have the OEM brand they will have comparable alternatives.

Also, you have to understand that no OEM makes their own parts, it's always a supplier who makes them and put in a box with the OEM logo. And the supplier also sells to the public under their own brand.
johnnyc321

Post by johnnyc321 »

https://www.sparksparts.com/ sells OEM Toyota parts.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

sk2101 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:38 am Also, you have to understand that no OEM makes their own parts, it's always a supplier who makes them and put in a box with the OEM logo. And the supplier also sells to the public under their own brand.
You are confusing OE (Original Equipment) with OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). All OEMs make their own parts. That's literally what the "M" stands for. But those parts are also sold under the vehicle manufacturer's brand, which is what OE parts are. Often times (not always) you can buy literally the same exact part under the OEM's own brand for significantly less money. For parts that are actually made by the vehicle manufacturer, there will only be the OE part, and no OEM equivalent.

So for many parts, you could buy the Toyota brand from the dealer, or the Denso equivalent from a variety of outlets, because Denso is the OEM for many Toyota parts.

We have 2 German cars, so instead of buying OE parts from BMW or Audi, we often get OEM parts from Mann or Mahle (filters), Lemforder (suspension components), ATE (brakes), Bosch (electronics, injectors, etc). Same exact part made by the same people in the same factory, different brand on the box.