Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Meg77
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by Meg77 »

I am female and therefore don't own a men's wallet, but I do own a variety of designer handbags, shoes and wallets and live in an area known for consumption - conspicuous and otherwise. So I'll throw in my two cents.

First, I think it's great and 100% appropriate to reward milestones (financial and otherwise) with consumer items that you value and will remind you of said milestone. I have a pair of gemstone earrings that I bought in my early 20s for $400 during my first solo trip abroad as a token of my independence. I bought a $750 Tiffany necklace for myself to mark the passing of my CFP exam years later as a symbol of my intelligence. I think of those experiences every time I wear those items. Both were big budget items for me at the time, and now 10-15 years later the cost seems irrelevant. I'm currently searching for a ring to remind me of my resilience after enduring and coming through a marital separation this year. I've never regretted anything I've purchased along these lines, including less meaningful but still fun celebratory purchases like $500 shoes with this or that bonus in any given year.

Also, I particularly like the connection between a net worth milestone and a wallet. Every time you pull it out, you can alternately be reminded of your future net worth goals (and therefore be nudged to spend less) or be reminded of how far you've come (and enjoy whatever it is you've decided to spend your money on more with that in mind).
bo105954027 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:36 pm LV wallet is the first what I'm thinking of, because

1. LV is taken as the best and most notable brand in production wallet section.
However, this statement is completely subjective. Many people think this, and if YOU and your peers in your area associate this brand as being the best (or one of the best) and of high status, that is great. Clearly on this forum that is not the case - ha! But even in materialistic brand centric circles there are alternating opinions on every brand. There are plenty of other ultra-luxury designer wallets that compete with LV on price point and status and may excel in quality. BUT, LV is one of the most recognizable logos/brands, which may be more relevant. And LV is certainly associated with prestige and exclusivity in general.
bo105954027 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:36 pm I've heard in luxury world it's better to own a top brand of a lower price product than an average brand of a higher price product.
Yes this is mostly true, though again, it depends on who you are trying to impress. I definitely agree that I'd rather have a small LV clutch purse than a piece of Coach luggage. They may cost the same, but Coach is a much lower tier brand and much more widely available.

Happy shopping!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
User avatar
Nestegg_User
Posts: 1552
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by Nestegg_User »

New Providence wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:17 am
livesoft wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:32 pm

The only way a LV wallet is a legit purchase is if one buys it in the LV store in Paris, France. The trip would be memorable and one would have great story to go with it.
Well, it would only be memorable flying in business or first class. Kind of silly to go to LV store in Paris, France flying coach.
Sorry, but we DID fly coach for trips to Paris

we did window shop the Louis Vuitton shop one of the days that we were there on one of the trips (we were staying at a place a couple of blocks away on Rue de Berri on the other side of the Champse) before heading over to the Opera district for dinner. Certainly nothing appealing for the price.
We did get a nice wallet and a purse (nothing with logo, just very good quality) when we were in Venice on vacation. WE know where we got it... but otherwise others would have no idea... but it does bring back memories when it's used and I pull it out (just like the other objects purchased from our travels)
User avatar
Abe
Posts: 2160
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Earth in the Milky Way Galaxy

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by Abe »

I'm glad the OP started this thread. I was about to get tired of reading the "Best watch for around $5,000" thread. :happy
Slow and steady wins the race.
LeftCoastIV
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 7:19 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by LeftCoastIV »

The problem with financial milestones associated with market upswings, is what do you do when the market declines and your milestone goes away? Personally, I'm cautious about increased spending as a result of market changes. For an increased salary, I could see a small reward.

I wouldn't use an LV wallet even if someone gave it to me, so I'm not the best to opine on that specific purchase.
Kagord
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by Kagord »

I was thinking, I've always wanted a luxury pencil, well, for 40% of the cost of that wallet, one could buy a limited edition pencil that can last hundreds of years:

https://www.graf-von-faber-castell.us/w ... ect_pencil

Notice how the lead is centered, WOW!
alfaspider
Posts: 3040
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by alfaspider »

I like to say that I will buy anything they sell at the Prada store in Marfa, Texas.
_Soundwave_
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:00 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by _Soundwave_ »

I’ve used a saddleback leather wallet for the last 11 years. It’s simple, durable, and understated. It was considerably less than $1000.

Your money is, of course, Yours.
User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 5216
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by lthenderson »

My $25 leather wallet is nearing a major milestone. It is nearly twenty years old. I should reward it by hitting the ATM and putting more cash in it than I do these days.
zeal
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by zeal »

If that's what you want, go for it. Sounds like you save plenty of money, so no reason not to reward yourself.

If it were me, a wallet would be the last "luxury" I'd think to splurge on--I didn't even know wallets existed that cost that much. I've never spent more than probably $30 on a wallet and I've never had one actually wear out on me--I just get new ones when I'm tired of the look of the current one. I can't wrap my head around the idea of a $1,000 wallet... How in the world could it better than even, say, a $100 wallet? Is it made of Kevlar to protect one rump? Does it have some type of mini computer in it? A device that recognizes only your fingerprints and will tase pickpockets?

Any $1,000 purchase for me would have to be way more significant than a couple pieces of leather or fabric...
mak1277
Posts: 1569
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by mak1277 »

zeal wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:42 pm If that's what you want, go for it. Sounds like you save plenty of money, so no reason not to reward yourself.

If it were me, a wallet would be the last "luxury" I'd think to splurge on--I didn't even know wallets existed that cost that much. I've never spent more than probably $30 on a wallet and I've never had one actually wear out on me--I just get new ones when I'm tired of the look of the current one. I can't wrap my head around the idea of a $1,000 wallet... How in the world could it better than even, say, a $100 wallet? Is it made of Kevlar to protect one rump? Does it have some type of mini computer in it? A device that recognizes only your fingerprints and will tase pickpockets?

Any $1,000 purchase for me would have to be way more significant than a couple pieces of leather or fabric...
Isn't a luxury splurge supposed to be impractical though? I mean to me that's half the fun.
zeal
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by zeal »

mak1277 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:22 am
zeal wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:42 pm If that's what you want, go for it. Sounds like you save plenty of money, so no reason not to reward yourself.

If it were me, a wallet would be the last "luxury" I'd think to splurge on--I didn't even know wallets existed that cost that much. I've never spent more than probably $30 on a wallet and I've never had one actually wear out on me--I just get new ones when I'm tired of the look of the current one. I can't wrap my head around the idea of a $1,000 wallet... How in the world could it better than even, say, a $100 wallet? Is it made of Kevlar to protect one rump? Does it have some type of mini computer in it? A device that recognizes only your fingerprints and will tase pickpockets?

Any $1,000 purchase for me would have to be way more significant than a couple pieces of leather or fabric...
Isn't a luxury splurge supposed to be impractical though? I mean to me that's half the fun.
You're probably right. I guess I'm just not the luxury type! Spending a lot of money on something I don't have to brings me no joy, only a gut-wrenching feeling and a voice in my ear screaming "opportunity cost!"

Either way: if OP wants a luxury wallet, OP should get a luxury wallet. You don't need permission from any of us! You will only find out once you own it whether or not it was worth it, so go for it.
HawkeyePierce
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by HawkeyePierce »

If I wanted a luxury wallet, I'd look at one of the made-in-America boutique leather brands like Saddleback or FormFunctionForm. I have an "architect's wallet" from FFF, great item, practical, well-built and handsome. Fits a small notebook and pen, 5-6 cards and a few bills.

Image

https://formfunctionform.com/product-category/wallets/
JEC
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 2:09 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by JEC »

No.

My last wallet purchase was a leather one on clearance at Kohl's for $3. It's on year 17, and I carry it every day. Don't kid yourself into believing you're in some way getting what you pay for in terms of quality. I'll echo what someone else mentioned: you're buying a brand, not a wallet. I can't imagine this thing bringing you the amount of happiness that spending this amount of money should bring.
User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 21618
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Wallets

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:29 pm Bogleheads:

My idea of a good wallet is thin, good quality and inexpensive. Amazon has dozens that meet this criteria.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "You get to keep exactly what you don't pay for."
I agree with Taylor. A few years ago I sent Taylor a private message inquiring on a wallet as I was trying to simplify and not carry one any longer.

I now have my keys and iPhone. The back of my iPhone has a small pouch where I simply carry one credit card, drivers license, and health insurance card. If I have cash on me (and that is usually not the case) I have it in a pocket. I do not miss carrying or keeping a wallet.

With society pushing more and more to a paperless format, hopefully someday we will no longer be carrying plastic cards!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
hicabob
Posts: 3161
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: cruz

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by hicabob »

Kagord wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:23 pm I was thinking, I've always wanted a luxury pencil, well, for 40% of the cost of that wallet, one could buy a limited edition pencil that can last hundreds of years:

https://www.graf-von-faber-castell.us/w ... ect_pencil

Notice how the lead is centered, WOW!
That is certainly a good looking pencil. What would your opinion be of someone who pulled out such a device?
I'm more of a Ticonderoga #2HB man myself.
mak1277
Posts: 1569
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by mak1277 »

hicabob wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:08 am
Kagord wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:23 pm I was thinking, I've always wanted a luxury pencil, well, for 40% of the cost of that wallet, one could buy a limited edition pencil that can last hundreds of years:

https://www.graf-von-faber-castell.us/w ... ect_pencil

Notice how the lead is centered, WOW!
That is certainly a good looking pencil. What would your opinion be of someone who pulled out such a device?
I'm more of a Ticonderoga #2HB man myself.
Pencils are for people who make mistakes. That's why I only use pens.
Swimmer
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:24 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by Swimmer »

On my first trip to Paris, I eyed a purple leather Longchamps wallet at a shop in CDG. I loved it. I made several trips and, each time, I stopped to admire this purple wallet. I think the price was just short of $200 which, to me, was obscene.

After visiting my wallet four times and thinking about it very carefully, I finally pulled the trigger. The wallet is probably 12 years old now. The leather is soft and the color very unusual. It held up beautifully. Every time I use it, I think of my beloved Paris.

The Longchamps logo is inside, so I didn’t buy it as a status symbol. I bought it because I loved it and purple wallets are (or were) hard to come by.

I’m glad I bought it. It brings back fond memories.

Would I pay $1000 for it? No way. Now, I wouldn’t pay $200 for a wallet.

I never told my frugal Dad. He’d have said I had “more money than brains.”

Good luck with your decision.
apex84
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:51 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by apex84 »

Looking back, I've bought a lot of stuff over the years. Anything that was just a fancier version of a regular item, but not significantly better in quality, wasn't really a good purchase. I don't look back on odds & ends that I've accumulated with much fondness. It's only the stuff that I really use or am particularly interested in that was worth it.

I wouldn't buy a fancy wallet unless you're particularly into wallets. When accumulating nice stuff, at least look to something you've wanted for a long time or something that you're fascinated with. Best is something that you'll really use.

A few wallets (I use the Allett) to browse. If you want a luxury purchase, you can do better than Louis Vuitton.

https://www.all-ett.com
https://www.tombihn.com/products/minimalist-wallets
https://mitchell-leather.com/pages/accessories
https://shop.launer.com/pocket-wallets
https://www.camillefournet.com/en/leather-wallet-122
MMiroir
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:14 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by MMiroir »

Allen Edmonds wallets are a small fraction the price of the LV items, they last forever, and are made in Wisconsin.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/accessorie ... s/wallets/

The other day I was at an upscale French boutique for work, and a customer walked in with a Louis Vuitton face covering. It was a ridiculous example of conspicuous consumption. Whenever I see a LV item, I assume it is fake.
mayday23
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:29 am

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by mayday23 »

galawdawg wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:20 pm A few years ago, you posted:
I am stepping into my 30s at the end of this year. 30 is generally taken as a milestone age in a person's life. Most people in this forum have accomplished building a significant asset (I believe at least half here are millionaires). To become as financially successful as you guys is my dream. so I am wondering how was your financial condition when you were at my age.
I'll let you in on a little secret...we didn't get that way spending $1,000 on a wallet. :happy
I did. Not all of us need to wear CostCo button down shirts to work, wear $15 timex's and drive Kia's to be financially successful. Everyone can have their own path and live in the moment.
mak1277
Posts: 1569
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by mak1277 »

mayday23 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:57 pm
galawdawg wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:20 pm A few years ago, you posted:
I am stepping into my 30s at the end of this year. 30 is generally taken as a milestone age in a person's life. Most people in this forum have accomplished building a significant asset (I believe at least half here are millionaires). To become as financially successful as you guys is my dream. so I am wondering how was your financial condition when you were at my age.
I'll let you in on a little secret...we didn't get that way spending $1,000 on a wallet. :happy
I did. Not all of us need to wear CostCo button down shirts to work, wear $15 timex's and drive Kia's to be financially successful. Everyone can have their own path and live in the moment.
We need "like" buttons for posts like this.
User avatar
SmileyFace
Posts: 5718
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by SmileyFace »

I understand designer handbags for women (and I suppose for men that want to carry a bag of sorts. I spend money on good laptop bags from TUMI, etc.). A designer hand-bag is a fashion statement you walk around with.
But a men's wallet?? Do you hand carry it? Does it somehow hold you money and cards better than a $20 wallet? I don't get it.
(Sorry - didn't read all responses - probably what others already stated).
GoldenFinch
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by GoldenFinch »

galawdawg wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:20 pm A few years ago, you posted:
I am stepping into my 30s at the end of this year. 30 is generally taken as a milestone age in a person's life. Most people in this forum have accomplished building a significant asset (I believe at least half here are millionaires). To become as financially successful as you guys is my dream. so I am wondering how was your financial condition when you were at my age.
I'll let you in on a little secret...we didn't get that way spending $1,000 on a wallet. :happy
I agree with galawdawg. Just don’t do what my husband does. He uses a money clip. I’m always a bit horrified when he pulls it out to pay for something and everyone can see he’s carrying cash. He is a smart guy otherwise, but I don’t think a money clip is smart.
z91
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by z91 »

This is a very personal decision. Like the 5k watch thread, you will get tons of opinions. From someone who recently splurged on a leather wallet, here's my personal experience:

I took a trip out to Paris for work last year and was near the LV flagship store. I didn't speak a lick of French, but wanted an LV slim wallet because I wanted something Parisian to remind me of the trip. LV came up to my mind immediately.

I went to the LV store and had to wait in a line. I thought it was odd given how expensive everything was, but OK. Seems like there's a lot of international business that happens. Anyway, I get in after a 2 minute wait and know exactly what I want. I spoke to someone and they told me to talk to someone else, who then pointed me to someone else, who then ignored me, even after making eye contact.

I ran out of there spiteful and after chatting with some of my friends, recommended that I look at Hermes. At the Hermes store, there was no line, but it was crazy inside. Lots of shoppers, but someone spoke to me almost immediately and showed me a beautiful wallet with a simple Hermes hot stamp. I found it much nicer than LV's monogrammed wallet which now looks tacky to me (it just screams "look at me"). After paying I was given a choice of a soft drink while waiting for it to be wrapped up and I walked out happy as can be.

Every time I pass by an LV store I now give them my imaginary finger and will tell everyone of my bad experience, hoping that will have some impact on them. So there you go.

Some people think leather goods are a complete waste of money, but if you like high quality stuff and don't like replacing things all the time (sans losing them), I'd recommend it. Sure, there are other off-brands that may last as long, but there are too many opinions on those.
Dave55
Posts: 794
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by Dave55 »

bo105954027 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:36 pm I'm a conservative person and have barely bought anything luxury. I save >30% of my income every month. All goods I'm using/wearing are quality/premium brands.

Recently I've just reached a NW landmark (not an impressive one) thanks to declined consumption due to WFH and recovery of stock market. I'd like to reward myself a luxury item (cloth/leather goods/electronics, whatever) within $1000 budget.

LV wallet is the first what I'm thinking of, because

1. LV is taken as the best and most notable brand in production wallet section. I've heard in luxury world it's better to own a top brand of a lower price product than an average brand of a higher price product.
2. I use wallet heavily, I carry it everyday everywhere, and LV is known to be durable.

Anybody who owns LV men's wallet could share some experience? What else would you recommend?
Buy whatever wallet you you desire. LV is a fine product. Check out Ghurka too:
https://ghurka.com/collections/everyday-wallet

Dave
SEAworld9
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 am

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by SEAworld9 »

if it will make you happy, get it. you seem to have the right approach to finances and evaluate purchases with value in mind.

i just bought a plain black LV hoodie for $1100 bc I really like hooded sweatshirts. looks 90% the same as the amazon basics one I wearing right now that was $20. expensive for a sweatshirt? sure. but it’s so awesome and the details are amazing. :D
Carlton
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:46 pm
Location: NYC/Metro Area

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by Carlton »

I found a very small company that makes high quality leather goods. Rather support them than a multi-billion dollar luxury conglomerate, but I'm not one that's very brand conscious.

https://americanbenchcraft.com/categories/wallets.html

I bought the slim riveted wallet made from a piece of saddle leather. Very stiff in the beginning, but eventually molds to the contents and softens. Probably will last 25 years, plus the slim design forced me to de-clutter my old wallet.
Broken Man 1999
Posts: 5043
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am
Location: West coast of Florida, inland on high ground!

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

mak1277 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:27 pm
mayday23 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:57 pm
galawdawg wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:20 pm A few years ago, you posted:
I am stepping into my 30s at the end of this year. 30 is generally taken as a milestone age in a person's life. Most people in this forum have accomplished building a significant asset (I believe at least half here are millionaires). To become as financially successful as you guys is my dream. so I am wondering how was your financial condition when you were at my age.
I'll let you in on a little secret...we didn't get that way spending $1,000 on a wallet. :happy
I did. Not all of us need to wear CostCo button down shirts to work, wear $15 timex's and drive Kia's to be financially successful. Everyone can have their own path and live in the moment.
We need "like" buttons for posts like this.
Indeed!

I had no desire to live below our means, I would rather live at our means, which included saving for retirement.

And, occasionally that meant we rewarded ourselves for our hard work and/or financial milestones.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
wfrobinette
Posts: 1340
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by wfrobinette »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:50 pm Who doesn’t use a wallet heavily?
Me!
jrbdmb
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:27 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by jrbdmb »

bo105954027 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:36 pm I'm a conservative person and have barely bought anything luxury. I save >30% of my income every month. All goods I'm using/wearing are quality/premium brands.

Recently I've just reached a NW landmark (not an impressive one) thanks to declined consumption due to WFH and recovery of stock market. I'd like to reward myself a luxury item (cloth/leather goods/electronics, whatever) within $1000 budget.

LV wallet is the first what I'm thinking of, because

1. LV is taken as the best and most notable brand in production wallet section. I've heard in luxury world it's better to own a top brand of a lower price product than an average brand of a higher price product.
2. I use wallet heavily, I carry it everyday everywhere, and LV is known to be durable.

Anybody who owns LV men's wallet could share some experience? What else would you recommend?
Who are you buying this luxury item to impress - yourself or other people? If it is at least partially others, I would think a $1K wallet would be one of the last things I would get, since it will spend 99% of the time firmly inside your back pocket. Also consider a nice watch, or perhaps a solid silver chain or bracelet. (You aren't touching gold for $1K .)
bluebolt
Posts: 1246
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by bluebolt »

SEAworld9 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 pm if it will make you happy, get it. you seem to have the right approach to finances and evaluate purchases with value in mind.

i just bought a plain black LV hoodie for $1100 bc I really like hooded sweatshirts. looks 90% the same as the amazon basics one I wearing right now that was $20. expensive for a sweatshirt? sure. but it’s so awesome and the details are amazing. :D
I don't know if you're serious or not, but I had no idea you could spend $1K (or even $2K) on a hoodie.

https://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/prod ... 23v#1A5VIY
stoptothink
Posts: 8338
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by stoptothink »

bluebolt wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:36 pm
SEAworld9 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 pm if it will make you happy, get it. you seem to have the right approach to finances and evaluate purchases with value in mind.

i just bought a plain black LV hoodie for $1100 bc I really like hooded sweatshirts. looks 90% the same as the amazon basics one I wearing right now that was $20. expensive for a sweatshirt? sure. but it’s so awesome and the details are amazing. :D
I don't know if you're serious or not, but I had no idea you could spend $1K (or even $2K) on a hoodie.

https://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/prod ... 23v#1A5VIY
Even if these items were 100% for wealth signaling (which IMO, is the predominant reason for buying such items), it's a white hoodie. It seems the more financial resources I accumulate, the less interested I am in "luxury" goods and signaling to others.
SEAworld9
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 am

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by SEAworld9 »

bluebolt wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:36 pm
SEAworld9 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 pm if it will make you happy, get it. you seem to have the right approach to finances and evaluate purchases with value in mind.

i just bought a plain black LV hoodie for $1100 bc I really like hooded sweatshirts. looks 90% the same as the amazon basics one I wearing right now that was $20. expensive for a sweatshirt? sure. but it’s so awesome and the details are amazing. :D
I don't know if you're serious or not, but I had no idea you could spend $1K (or even $2K) on a hoodie.

https://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/prod ... 23v#1A5VIY
Yep, that’s the one. And yes, serious. You can spend many, many more thousands on hoodies if you really want (I don’t).

I funded this one from buying and selling another item on the site. Certain SKUs are in very high demand (sell out within 30 mins of restock) and very limited supply. Did that twice and boom, sweatshirt funded.

If you’re curious enter an email to be notified when it’s back in stock and see how long it’s available. Resale value is much higher than retail.
SEAworld9
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 am

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by SEAworld9 »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:40 pm
bluebolt wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:36 pm
SEAworld9 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 pm if it will make you happy, get it. you seem to have the right approach to finances and evaluate purchases with value in mind.

i just bought a plain black LV hoodie for $1100 bc I really like hooded sweatshirts. looks 90% the same as the amazon basics one I wearing right now that was $20. expensive for a sweatshirt? sure. but it’s so awesome and the details are amazing. :D
I don't know if you're serious or not, but I had no idea you could spend $1K (or even $2K) on a hoodie.

https://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/prod ... 23v#1A5VIY
Even if these items were 100% for wealth signaling (which IMO, is the predominant reason for buying such items), it's a white hoodie. It seems the more financial resources I accumulate, the less interested I am in "luxury" goods and signaling to others.
Funny how if you spend a lot at restaurants you’re a “foodie” and if you spend a lot on a bicycle or skis you’re an “athlete” and if you spend a lot on wine you’re a “connoisseur” and if you spend a lot on vacations you’re a “traveler” and if you spend a lot on VIP or luxury suite event tickets you’re a “fan” but if you spend a lot on an article of clothing or an accessory you’re just wealth signaling.

I guess it’s not possible to appreciate something for reasons other than what It makes other people think about your financial standing?
CZjc1330
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:15 am
Location: Palm Beach , FL

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by CZjc1330 »

What's your net worth? If you are not a millionaire don't buy it. Keep saving, keep investing. Read, better yet study, the Boglehead philosophy and read their recommended books. A thousand bucks for something hidden in your back pocket?!? :oops:
lazydavid
Posts: 3341
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by lazydavid »

SEAworld9 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:23 am Funny how if you spend a lot at restaurants you’re a “foodie” and if you spend a lot on a bicycle or skis you’re an “athlete” and if you spend a lot on wine you’re a “connoisseur” and if you spend a lot on vacations you’re a “traveler” and if you spend a lot on VIP or luxury suite event tickets you’re a “fan” but if you spend a lot on an article of clothing or an accessory you’re just wealth signaling.

I guess it’s not possible to appreciate something for reasons other than what It makes other people think about your financial standing?
It is possible. But it's hard to argue that the primary purpose is anything other than making others think about your financial standing when they put the care tag on the OUTSIDE, blown up 800%, with the brand prominently displayed at the top. The sole purpose for that tag's existence is to make sure everyone around you knows you spent $930 on a hoodie.

When I first went to look at the link I could have agreed with you. My initial reaction to the front was "eh, not my style, but it seems nice". Then I looked at the back and that changed to "ugh, how gaudy and awful".

There are plenty of high-quality items that one can enjoy, that aren't designed from the ground up to make sure everyone around you knows you spent a bunch of money. I have a very expensive smartwatch that I absolutely love because it looks just like a regular watch, and almost no one ever notices it. Basically only watch people, and there aren't that many of us. :)

To use your example of the sports fan, wearing the hoodie in question here is not like going to the superbowl. It's like asking your friends "did I tell you about that time I went to the superbowl?" And when they respond "Yes, 27 times" you reply with "well here's a video of me at the superbowl, isn't that awesome?".
Nowizard
Posts: 3020
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by Nowizard »

I think it is helpful to balance finances and other things while being frugal. We are on pretty much the same page but one luxury item brings me much pleasure that can be repeated. I began to purchase Kinsale Crystal glasses from Ireland after seeing some in the home of a relative. A single glass, there are varieties, may cost up to $75, but I started with one and family and friends know that is a gift I enjoy. I now have more than 30 and enjoy using one almost daily. It was an unintended consequence, but the repeated receipt of a luxury item is great, and it doesn't hurt that it is not at my expense!

Tim
User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 11130
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Swimmer wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:59 am On my first trip to Paris, I eyed a purple leather Longchamps wallet at a shop in CDG. I loved it. I made several trips and, each time, I stopped to admire this purple wallet. I think the price was just short of $200 which, to me, was obscene.

After visiting my wallet four times and thinking about it very carefully, I finally pulled the trigger. The wallet is probably 12 years old now. The leather is soft and the color very unusual. It held up beautifully. Every time I use it, I think of my beloved Paris.

The Longchamps logo is inside, so I didn’t buy it as a status symbol. I bought it because I loved it and purple wallets are (or were) hard to come by.

I’m glad I bought it. It brings back fond memories.

Would I pay $1000 for it? No way. Now, I wouldn’t pay $200 for a wallet.

I never told my frugal Dad. He’d have said I had “more money than brains.”

Good luck with your decision.
An item you return to 4 times, can afford, and which brings back fond memories is a worthy purchase. Good on ya.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
mak1277
Posts: 1569
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by mak1277 »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:07 am To use your example of the sports fan, wearing the hoodie in question here is not like going to the superbowl. It's like asking your friends "did I tell you about that time I went to the superbowl?" And when they respond "Yes, 27 times" you reply with "well here's a video of me at the superbowl, isn't that awesome?".
On the flip side, I get to enjoy my expensive watch (or hoodie, or shoes, or suit, or whatever) every time I put it on. I only got to enjoy going to the super bowl on the day of the game.
lazydavid
Posts: 3341
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by lazydavid »

mak1277 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:10 am
lazydavid wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:07 am To use your example of the sports fan, wearing the hoodie in question here is not like going to the superbowl. It's like asking your friends "did I tell you about that time I went to the superbowl?" And when they respond "Yes, 27 times" you reply with "well here's a video of me at the superbowl, isn't that awesome?".
On the flip side, I get to enjoy my expensive watch (or hoodie, or shoes, or suit, or whatever) every time I put it on. I only got to enjoy going to the super bowl on the day of the game.
I don't necessarily disagree, but this falls back into that perennial "things vs. experiences" debate. People who highly value experiences greatly enjoy the memories that are created as a result of those experiences. So in a sense, they do enjoy them well past the date of occurrence. It sounds like you might be more of a things person than an experiences person, and that's fine. Few people are all the way to one end of the spectrum or the other, it's a matter of degrees that varies by individual.
mak1277
Posts: 1569
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by mak1277 »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:28 am
mak1277 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:10 am
lazydavid wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:07 am To use your example of the sports fan, wearing the hoodie in question here is not like going to the superbowl. It's like asking your friends "did I tell you about that time I went to the superbowl?" And when they respond "Yes, 27 times" you reply with "well here's a video of me at the superbowl, isn't that awesome?".
On the flip side, I get to enjoy my expensive watch (or hoodie, or shoes, or suit, or whatever) every time I put it on. I only got to enjoy going to the super bowl on the day of the game.
I don't necessarily disagree, but this falls back into that perennial "things vs. experiences" debate. People who highly value experiences greatly enjoy the memories that are created as a result of those experiences. So in a sense, they do enjoy them well past the date of occurrence. It sounds like you might be more of a things person than an experiences person, and that's fine. Few people are all the way to one end of the spectrum or the other, it's a matter of degrees that varies by individual.
I actually like both. I have good memories of the super bowls, world series and trips I've taken. I also enjoy the more expensive "things" I have.
Flashes1
Posts: 965
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 7:43 am

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by Flashes1 »

My first big splurge after getting my first real job was a Coach wallet. That was almost 30 years ago, and it's still going strong. One of the best buys I've ever made...I think I paid $120 for it.
Dregob
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:45 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by Dregob »

Not really related but I always liked the advice "Never pay more than $1 for a bookmark"!
7eight9
Posts: 1447
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by 7eight9 »

I like lighters. I've got a Cartier and a Dunhill. Both do the same job as a free book of matches. But I like them better. If you smoke you will use your lighter more times a day than your wallet. But if a LV wallet sparks joy for you then you should buy it. Personally I use a rubber band that I get for free when buying asparagus. You should buy what you like.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
stoptothink
Posts: 8338
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by stoptothink »

SEAworld9 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:23 am
stoptothink wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:40 pm
bluebolt wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:36 pm
SEAworld9 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 pm if it will make you happy, get it. you seem to have the right approach to finances and evaluate purchases with value in mind.

i just bought a plain black LV hoodie for $1100 bc I really like hooded sweatshirts. looks 90% the same as the amazon basics one I wearing right now that was $20. expensive for a sweatshirt? sure. but it’s so awesome and the details are amazing. :D
I don't know if you're serious or not, but I had no idea you could spend $1K (or even $2K) on a hoodie.

https://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/prod ... 23v#1A5VIY
Even if these items were 100% for wealth signaling (which IMO, is the predominant reason for buying such items), it's a white hoodie. It seems the more financial resources I accumulate, the less interested I am in "luxury" goods and signaling to others.
Funny how if you spend a lot at restaurants you’re a “foodie” and if you spend a lot on a bicycle or skis you’re an “athlete” and if you spend a lot on wine you’re a “connoisseur” and if you spend a lot on vacations you’re a “traveler” and if you spend a lot on VIP or luxury suite event tickets you’re a “fan” but if you spend a lot on an article of clothing or an accessory you’re just wealth signaling.

I guess it’s not possible to appreciate something for reasons other than what It makes other people think about your financial standing?
If it isn't wealth signaling, what is it? It literally has a HUGE care sign on the outside for the sole purpose of making sure everyone you walk past knows it is a luxury good. If that is your thing, that's great, but be honest about it: it's an ostentatious piece of jewelry that you wear over a t-shirt (and that's OK).
SEAworld9
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 am

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by SEAworld9 »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:07 am
SEAworld9 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:23 am Funny how if you spend a lot at restaurants you’re a “foodie” and if you spend a lot on a bicycle or skis you’re an “athlete” and if you spend a lot on wine you’re a “connoisseur” and if you spend a lot on vacations you’re a “traveler” and if you spend a lot on VIP or luxury suite event tickets you’re a “fan” but if you spend a lot on an article of clothing or an accessory you’re just wealth signaling.

I guess it’s not possible to appreciate something for reasons other than what It makes other people think about your financial standing?
It is possible. But it's hard to argue that the primary purpose is anything other than making others think about your financial standing when they put the care tag on the OUTSIDE, blown up 800%, with the brand prominently displayed at the top. The sole purpose for that tag's existence is to make sure everyone around you knows you spent $930 on a hoodie.
did you bother to read the second sentence in the product descriptions that says that tag is "removable"? did you ever consider that one might - gasp - remove it?
Chip
Posts: 3077
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:57 am

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by Chip »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:33 pm I like to say that I will buy anything they sell at the Prada store in Marfa, Texas.
That's funny. Yes, I looked it up. It appears that I have already purchased everything they sell in that store. :beer
SEAworld9
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 am

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by SEAworld9 »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:10 pm
SEAworld9 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:23 am
stoptothink wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:40 pm
bluebolt wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:36 pm
SEAworld9 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 pm if it will make you happy, get it. you seem to have the right approach to finances and evaluate purchases with value in mind.

i just bought a plain black LV hoodie for $1100 bc I really like hooded sweatshirts. looks 90% the same as the amazon basics one I wearing right now that was $20. expensive for a sweatshirt? sure. but it’s so awesome and the details are amazing. :D
I don't know if you're serious or not, but I had no idea you could spend $1K (or even $2K) on a hoodie.

https://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/prod ... 23v#1A5VIY
Even if these items were 100% for wealth signaling (which IMO, is the predominant reason for buying such items), it's a white hoodie. It seems the more financial resources I accumulate, the less interested I am in "luxury" goods and signaling to others.
Funny how if you spend a lot at restaurants you’re a “foodie” and if you spend a lot on a bicycle or skis you’re an “athlete” and if you spend a lot on wine you’re a “connoisseur” and if you spend a lot on vacations you’re a “traveler” and if you spend a lot on VIP or luxury suite event tickets you’re a “fan” but if you spend a lot on an article of clothing or an accessory you’re just wealth signaling.

I guess it’s not possible to appreciate something for reasons other than what It makes other people think about your financial standing?
If it isn't wealth signaling, what is it? It literally has a HUGE care sign on the outside for the sole purpose of making sure everyone you walk past knows it is a luxury good. If that is your thing, that's great, but be honest about it: it's an ostentatious piece of jewelry that you wear over a t-shirt (and that's OK).
are you interested in anything more than the average person might be? do you value design or small details in anything? have you ever bought a clothing item at somewhere other than walmart? like i asked the poster above, did you care to read the second sentence that states that care sign is removable?

i get that not everyone likes fashion or clothes. like i said previously, i like collecting hoodies.
lazydavid
Posts: 3341
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by lazydavid »

SEAworld9 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:34 pm
lazydavid wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:07 am
SEAworld9 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:23 am Funny how if you spend a lot at restaurants you’re a “foodie” and if you spend a lot on a bicycle or skis you’re an “athlete” and if you spend a lot on wine you’re a “connoisseur” and if you spend a lot on vacations you’re a “traveler” and if you spend a lot on VIP or luxury suite event tickets you’re a “fan” but if you spend a lot on an article of clothing or an accessory you’re just wealth signaling.

I guess it’s not possible to appreciate something for reasons other than what It makes other people think about your financial standing?
It is possible. But it's hard to argue that the primary purpose is anything other than making others think about your financial standing when they put the care tag on the OUTSIDE, blown up 800%, with the brand prominently displayed at the top. The sole purpose for that tag's existence is to make sure everyone around you knows you spent $930 on a hoodie.
did you bother to read the second sentence in the product descriptions that says that tag is "removable"? did you ever consider that one might - gasp - remove it?
I did, but there are two (the other one being mentioned in the third sentence), and I admittedly didn't dig in to see which is which.

If you removed yours, I think it's fair to say that your primary purpose of wearing it may not be wealth signaling. But the product is certainly set up and marketed to enable that purpose. Fair enough?
pomomojo
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by pomomojo »

are you interested in anything more than the average person might be? do you value design or small details in anything? have you ever bought a clothing item at somewhere other than walmart? like i asked the poster above, did you care to read the second sentence that states that care sign is removable?

i get that not everyone likes fashion or clothes. like i said previously, i like collecting hoodies.
I'm curious to know what actually makes the LV hoodie different from any other "premium" hoodie, like those from Sunspel or James Perse.
If it isn't wealth signaling, what is it? It literally has a HUGE care sign on the outside for the sole purpose of making sure everyone you walk past knows it is a luxury good. If that is your thing, that's great, but be honest about it: it's an ostentatious piece of jewelry that you wear over a t-shirt (and that's OK).
Despite my love for designer clothing, I'm in wholehearted agreement with this statement. For example, I would be surprised if the LV and Supreme crowd had much overlap with the average Maison Margiela/Jil Sander buyer
Locked