Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bo105954027

Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by bo105954027 »

I'm a conservative person and have barely bought anything luxury. I save >30% of my income every month. All goods I'm using/wearing are quality/premium brands.

Recently I've just reached a NW landmark (not an impressive one) thanks to declined consumption due to WFH and recovery of stock market. I'd like to reward myself a luxury item (cloth/leather goods/electronics, whatever) within $1000 budget.

LV wallet is the first what I'm thinking of, because

1. LV is taken as the best and most notable brand in production wallet section. I've heard in luxury world it's better to own a top brand of a lower price product than an average brand of a higher price product.
2. I use wallet heavily, I carry it everyday everywhere, and LV is known to be durable.

Anybody who owns LV men's wallet could share some experience? What else would you recommend?
Time in market beats timing the market.
oldfatguy

Re: Thinking of buying myself a luxury item.. Is LV wallet a legit purchase?

Post by oldfatguy »

I had to google "LV wallet" to know what you were asking. I'm not really sure what distinguishes a luxury wallet from a regular one (does it feel different when you sit on it?), but personally I wouldn't buy a luxury item that is going to be carried inside my back pocket all the time.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Who doesn’t use a wallet heavily?
cnblure

Post by cnblure »

I have a Filson wallet I really like. Heavy every day use for over three years, and it still looks new.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

My thoughts:

1 - A wallet is one of those things that you can buy that will develop a nice patina over time, if you get a good leather one. I would not want to buy an expensive wallet that is emblazoned with logos, but rather a plain (but high quality) leather one (think shell cordovan) that will develop some character over time.

2 - That said, if I was going to spend $1,000-ish dollars on something like this, I would actually gravitate towards a nice leather jacket.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Yes, their products are generally "nice" and will probably last you a good bit of time depending on level of abuse. But, IMHO, you'd still be overpaying for a folded piece of leather solely because it's emblazoned with the "LV" logo. There are other brands/bespoke options that would get my money if I were in the market.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I still use the same (Billabong) wallet I got when I was 13. It's now 26yrs old. At least with the watches, high-end ones generally have high resell value; what is the perceived benefit of an expensive wallet?
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

bo105954027 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:36 pm I'm a conservative person and have barely bought anything luxury. I save >30% of my income every month. All goods I'm using/wearing are quality/premium brands.

Recently I've just reached a NW landmark (not an impressive one) thanks to declined consumption due to WFH and recovery of stock market. I'd like to reward myself a luxury item (cloth/leather goods/electronics, whatever) within $1000 budget.

LV wallet is the first what I'm thinking of, because

1. LV is taken as the best and most notable brand in production wallet section. I've heard in luxury world it's better to own a top brand of a lower price product than an average brand of a higher price product.
2. I use wallet heavily, I carry it everyday everywhere, and LV is known to be durable.

Anybody who owns LV men's wallet could share some experience? What else would you recommend?
I own a couple of LV wallets, one was a gift and one I bought myself as a splurge. They are high quality wallets and I used the first one for about 8 years before it started wearing down a bit so I decided to buy a new one 5 years ago since I wanted a smaller wallet as well. I narrowed it down between Mont Blanc and LV, but ended up choosing LV again because it had the perfect style I wanted. One that was minimalist style that's about only 2/3 of the size of a normal wallet, mainly for credit cards. I'm still using this one and am very happy with the purchase. I believe in buying high quality high-end products that you use frequently so I've been happy with the purchase.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Not my cup of tea, but it's worth it if it brings you pleasure commensurate with the expense. With products like that, you are paying $100 for a wallet and $900 for a logo. Up to you how much pleasure that logo brings with it. Resale value for luxury items like this is typically low- you can get them much cheaper used but have to watch out for counterfeits (there are many).
Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:58 pm I still use the same (Billabong) wallet I got when I was 13. It's now 26yrs old. At least with the watches, high-end ones generally have high resell value; what is the perceived benefit of an expensive wallet?
Bling.

OP,

From the sounds of it you had to research something expensive to reward yourself with. If I am going to blow 15x the typical amount on something special, you better believe it is because I have spent YEARS lusting over that one particular item and it will bring me some happiness commiserate with its cost delta.

No chance am I buying an Italian designer clothing item. Maybe a Filson or HS trask if I was really trying to spoil my back pocket.
Last edited by Olemiss540 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

LV is $50 wallet with a $950 brand.

This is my current wallet:

https://www.slimfoldwallet.com/products ... 7910889603

Tyvek blocks the wind and has a good R value in my pants pocket. :D

I there is an old adage about having a $20 wallet with $1,000 in it or a $1,000 wallet with a $20 in it.

I would put $1k toward something more fun. New bike, e-bike, upgrade a yard tool that is aging or slow.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

If you are set on buying it, I suggest you look for a previously owned one at poshmark. There is a big resale market for those and if you buy used you at least know you can sell for close to that amount if you ever want to.

I use a $10 minimalistic wallet bought on Amazon that I love. My wife has a Prada (?) wallet that I don't even want to know how much it costs. So, two extremes in our family.
Last edited by sk2101 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain »

Would it be better if you bought a fake LV wallet from Alibaba? Can save $950
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

novemberrain wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:08 pm Would it be better if you bought a fake LV wallet from Alibaba? Can save $950
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good
Yes, but then you are supporting crooks and still paying 10x what the wallet should cost.
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

I"m not sure whose validation you need to rationalize the purchase, but it sounds like you can afford it. LV, or really any luxury brand with a distinctive design is made for conspicuous consumption, but if you're going into it knowingly, then sure, why not.

Just know that there are always others out there that have more unique/expensive wallets.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

A few years ago, you posted:
I am stepping into my 30s at the end of this year. 30 is generally taken as a milestone age in a person's life. Most people in this forum have accomplished building a significant asset (I believe at least half here are millionaires). To become as financially successful as you guys is my dream. so I am wondering how was your financial condition when you were at my age.
I'll let you in on a little secret...we didn't get that way spending $1,000 on a wallet. :happy
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

knowledge wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:14 pm I"m not sure whose validation you need to rationalize the purchase, but it sounds like you can afford it. LV, or really any luxury brand with a distinctive design is made for conspicuous consumption, but if you're going into it knowingly, then sure, why not.

Just know that there are always others out there that have more unique/expensive wallets.
Yeah, the way they splash their logo all over their products comes off as pretty nouveau riche. If I were going to spend money on an item like an expensive wallet, I'd prefer it to be a bit more under the radar. But again, people get pleasures from different things, and if this is the ONE object OP has lusted after for a long time, perhaps it would be a reasonable buy.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (wallet).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I would rather put $950 into a $50 wallet than nothing into a $1000 wallet. But that's just me.

Buy what you want. You're the one who has to live with the results--good or bad.
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

For me treating or rewarding myself would be buying something expense that I've wanted, but haven't allowed myself because of the price, not just seeking out something overpriced to spend money on.

Obviously tastes vary, but the fact that the only reason you mentioned wanting it was the brand makes it think it doesn't hold a lot of inherent attraction for you. Obviously any luxury good will be overpriced, but many, like cars or watches, still at least have a look or feature that attracts you.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:50 pm Who doesn’t use a wallet heavily?
I rarely use mine. It is 2020. You tap your phone up against the machine and get on with life. Who has time to fiddle with cards.

I would think that 100 bucks on a nice wallet and 900 bucks on something for your favorite hobby would give you more pleasure. But maybe wallet collecting is that hobby.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I don't. Most everything is cashless, and even credit cards don't need to be taken out much thanks to Apple Pay and the like. Most of the time when I need to reach for my wallet is when I get carded. Which is sadly not so often these days ... :happy
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The last 5 people who sat next to me on flights had LV carry-on luggage. Was it real or fake?

The only way a LV wallet is a legit purchase is if one buys it in the LV store in Paris, France. The trip would be memorable and one would have great story to go with it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

My current wallet costs me about 80....that is 80 RMB, which is about USD $12. Super nice wallet and slim. My 2nd one in about 10 plus years so far. Plover is the brand. Highly recommended.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Bosca 1911. 8 pocket. Old Leather Executive I.D. Wallet

Will easily last 10-15 years.

Not cheap but 100% worth it, but not a stupidly over priced poser item. Accept no other.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:04 pm LV is $50 wallet with a $950 brand.

This is my current wallet:

https://www.slimfoldwallet.com/products ... 7910889603

Tyvek blocks the wind and has a good R value in my pants pocket. :D

I there is an old adage about having a $20 wallet with $1,000 in it or a $1,000 wallet with a $20 in it.

I would put $1k toward something more fun. New bike, e-bike, upgrade a yard tool that is aging or slow.
The issue with that adage is it is a false dichotomy. I bought a $500 wallet as a personal gift for getting a new job. Our savings rate will continue to be over 40% of gross income and have a seven figure net worth.

It is interesting what type of spending gets judged most heavily. A $1,000 wallet that lasts 10 years costs $100 per year. Think about how insignificant that is. Some people pay more than that MONTHLY for cable TV and no one says much about it.

The OP should spend relentlessly on nice things so long as he continues to meet his savings goals. It doesn’t matter what you buy, if you spend the same total amount you will end up in the same place financially.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

There are a lot of nice wallet brands. LV is probably the most ostentatious one I can think of. Would be pretty low on my list. The quality is not up there either compared to brands like Hermes. I bought a Kiton wallet once -- not at retail -- and it was nice but I decided to just stick with the CK wallet I've had for the last 20 years.
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

If someone asked "Do you want a $1000 wallet with $10 in it or a $10 wallet with $1000 in it" which one would you take?
Watty

Post by Watty »

It sounds like you can afford it so there is little difference in you buying that or me spending $1,000 on a new camera. Whatever turns your crank.

One thing to consider though is that is a pretty conspicuous consumption item that could stand out and be noticed at times, and even in some situations make you a target to be mugged. For example if you are in a bar and pay your bill then someone might notice it and follow you out of the bar.

It was a different situation but my wife has a modestly priced engagement ring but the diamond is a decent size because it is not a real high grade. People like checkout clerks and waitresses would occasionally give her well meaning compliments on it but that made her feel uncomfortable like she stood out too much, and she was not even in bad parts of town or anything like that. She would sometimes rotate the ring around so the diamond did not show or leave it at home just because she did not want to worry about it drawing attentions. We talked it over and we got her a plain wedding band that is her everyday ring and the diamond ring went in the safe except for special occasions.

Anyway consider if you will really feel comfortable showing an expensive wallet whenever you pay for something.

PS if you buy it buy it because you want it, not to impress people. Unless you are wearing a two thousand dollar suit most people who see it will assume that it is a fake and contrary to being impressed it may give a negative impression.
seppatown

Post by seppatown »

Only one person above has owned a LV wallet. My brother does as well. It cost about $600 direct from the store and is made of nylon. I'd guess it cost a little less than $1 to manufacture. I think it looks like a kid's wallet and wouldn't feel great about having to pull it out in public. The bulk of LV's wallet lineup is checkered or floral and doesn't look particularly sophisticated.

Here's the thing - if it makes you happy, go for it. But if you're buying it as a status symbol, which most LV and Gucci shoppers do, it's one of the worst brands for wealth signaling since their products are super gaudy and appeal largely to the lower working class.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

02nz wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:31 pm
I don't. Most everything is cashless, and even credit cards don't need to be taken out much thanks to Apple Pay and the like. Most of the time when I need to reach for my wallet is when I get carded. Which is sadly not so often these days ... :happy
Ahh, okay. I don’t have that fancy new tech (phone doesn’t have nfc) and my main credit card does not have contactless payments, nor does the grocery store I frequent offer it as a payment option.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

Here are some other stealth wealth brands. Launer (Royal Warrant holder and pursemaker of choice of QEII) and Valextra. Understated but high quality.
anoop

Post by anoop »

I very much doubt it would bring you the satisfaction you think it might. But it doesn't hurt to find out since you no doubt have the money for it.

If you want to one up LV, you could look into Hermes.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/pamdanzige ... ury-brand/

I find luxury wallets are too bulky. I've been using this https://www.bigskinny.net/multi-pocket.html
Last edited by anoop on Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Depends on what the purpose of your purchase is. I carried traditional wallets for decades, my last purchase was a Ridge wallet, I will never go back to a traditional wallet again.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

9-5 Suited wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:38 pm The issue with that adage is it is a false dichotomy. I bought a $500 wallet as a personal gift for getting a new job. Our savings rate will continue to be over 40% of gross income and have a seven figure net worth.

It is interesting what type of spending gets judged most heavily. A $1,000 wallet that lasts 10 years costs $100 per year. Think about how insignificant that is. Some people pay more than that MONTHLY for cable TV and no one says much about it.

The OP should spend relentlessly on nice things so long as he continues to meet his savings goals. It doesn’t matter what you buy, if you spend the same total amount you will end up in the same place financially.
I expected that response. It was more said as a "you know this is coming.....". :shock: :mrgreen:

Nobody needs permission to buy a $1,000 wallet. Louis Vitton or any other brand.

There are some really fine/interesting wallets under $100. Then buy a nice $900 something else.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

This is clearly not about the utility of the wallet; it is about how it makes you feel when you use it. So I would ask yourself if that wallet will give you the feeling you are seeking. If yes, buy it as you would any other discretionary luxury item.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

The most interesting component to me is that the OP decided to treat themselves with something frivolous for ~$1k and decided on...a wallet :confused?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:04 pm Nobody needs permission to buy a $1,000 wallet. Louis Vitton or any other brand.
I've always thought that it is odd that so many people post here seeking permission from random, anonymous internet people.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

I understand that you were really looking into a "LV wallet".

However, since you did mention electronics in your original post:
I've been waiting awhile until I upgrade my computer. I have a 2012 laptop. I decided that with the lockdowns giving me more time at home AND it seemed like a good time to replace my computer AND we are spending a little less right now - I took the roughly $1000 you are talking about and bought all the components for a decent desktop computer build.

I get to have the entertainment of building a PC to occupy some of my time while getting more bang for my buck on the build. ($1000 can get you the parts to build a PC that will handle everday ordinary tasks easily, play most AAA PC game titles in 1080P high quality and allow you to do video and photo editing without much frustration). It is really fun to get any children you have involved too (maybe older than 8). Nowadays you can get the PC towers with a fancy glass window and the motherboards have colorful LEDs so it isn't just a blank black box anymore.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

jebmke wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:13 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:04 pm Nobody needs permission to buy a $1,000 wallet. Louis Vitton or any other brand.
I've always thought that it is odd that so many people post here seeking permission from random, anonymous internet people.
Was it asking for permission or just seeking people to affirm that it is a high quality item worthy of $1000...I thought of it as more the latter than the former.
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

I think the rule is that if you have to get permission from the internet, then you know deep down it is a frivolous purchase that will bring you no lasting value or happiness.

$1,000 for a wallet is crazy. You can buy the whole cow for that.
JonnyB

Post by JonnyB »

oldfatguy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:48 pm I'm not really sure what distinguishes a luxury wallet from a regular one .
It's supreme lightness after you purchase it.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

gmc4h232 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:21 pm
I think the rule is that if you have to get permission from the internet, then you know deep down it is a frivolous purchase that will bring you no lasting value or happiness.

Only a young one. Adult cows are typically worth $2,000-5,000.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

alfaspider wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:24 pm Only a young one. Adult cows are typically worth $2,000-5,000.
Wallet Saltimboca can't possibly taste as good.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Go big, get a purse!

A DD bought herself one, a little less than $2k. She treats herself with some of her commission each year.

She has worked her way past Coach purses.Silly me, I though Coach purses were expensive!

She is a very focused person. Works hard, plays hard.

She has been going to NYC around Christmas with sister or her daughter each year, but this year she won't be going.

DDs are crushing their retirement accounts. They are further along at their age than DW and I were at their age.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Congrats! Spend it on whatever makes *YOU* happy. If it’s an LV wallet, then that would be an excellent idea.

Other people would have other answers, because they have different tastes, desires, and sensibilities. I’d like a kickass table saw, but most people wouldn’t.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

Aren't wallets about as trendy as cell phone holsters? I don't see them much, most people use contactless payments. Haven't used cash since the lockdown, except the dollar coin I spent at the plumbing supply store because putting 53 cents on a card seemed rude.

And LV is kind of "middle class pretending to be rich." Most people can't afford it, but those that can easily afford it generally make different choices.

If you use a wallet, buy one that meets your needs functionally and esthetically. If the LV wallet does that and you can afford it then fine, but the message it sends to others might be what you think.
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

alfaspider wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:24 pm
gmc4h232 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:21 pm

Only a young one. Adult cows are typically worth $2,000-5,000.
Dont worry, I checked the price of local cows on craigslist before i posted that. Saw a nice Jersey for $1000, and some Longhorns for $400. Plenty of cows to be had for less than $1k and plenty of leather for a wallet.....
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

They have some nice wallets, not my style, but nice.

I think I'd ruin one of their fine wallets due to my retired lifestyle of boating, fishing, shooting, and the liberal use of suntan lotion and insect repellent. :)

"To preserve the beauty of your product, please prevent any contact with oil or alcohol-based substances such as hand sanitizers, cosmetics, perfumes, or disinfectants."

I'll be 70 in 6 weeks and I like my $1,000 rod and reel combos. And my boat.

Edited to add, I have a 10-year-old Saddleback Leather Medium Bifold. They're currently $79. And tough as nails. Even the stitching is tough.
Last edited by andypanda on Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

I bought one and was disappointed with the quality. The leather split with minimal use and LV was very reluctant to do anything to repair it. Frankly they said I should have only used the wallet in my front jacket pocket at all times and it was my fault for minimally using it for formal events in my back pocket.

I would buy something that is high quality and less brand image only focused.