Verizon Wireless hassle!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
novembre

Verizon Wireless hassle!

Post by novembre »

I have been a Verizon customer for over twenty-five years, with no problems at all, until now.
In May I received the usual monthly bill from Verizon and paid it promptly, as I always do.
Two weeks later noticed that the check hadn’t been cashed.
I contacted Verizon by online chat, and agent looked into it and said check had been received. I saved the chat session transcript. (He didn’t say it had been cashed, just received.)
A few days later a human called to say bill hadn’t been paid. I said I had been told that the check did arrive.
He said he would look into it and get back to me within five days.
Three days later I got a robocall saying my account had been suspended, and to restore it I had to pay it immediately by credit card.
So I did that and my service was restored. What I had to pay was not only the original payment (that I had already made),but also the next month’s charges in advance, plus $45 for restoring the service.
About ten days later they cashed the original check that they had lost, and then found, and then lost again, and finally, found again, and credited my account with the amount.
After all this I am still out the $45 they charged me for their error.
I am annoyed and angry that Verizon would treat a long-term customer (with a perfect payment record) this way. I realize that this situation was due to careless, incompetent employees, and I’d like to report them to Verizon’s management.

How should I handle this? How can I inform management of what happened, (and get the penalty credited to my account, and perhaps an apology). I’m done with dealing with their customer service.
Help most appreciated.

Novembre
Monsterflockster

Re: Verizon Wireless hassle!

Post by Monsterflockster »

You call their customer service and they credit your account. Then you put your bill on auto pay to get the discount you’ve likely been missing out on.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Agree with above. Once you get this issue sorted out, pay your bill online using autopay with a credit card and you won’t ever have to deal with this again.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

climber2020 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:08 pm Agree with above. Once you get this issue sorted out, pay your bill online using autopay with a credit card and you won’t ever have to deal with this again.
If you find dealing with their customer service irritating or stressful, consider not even bothering with the $45. Just put your bill on autopay and hopefully you will never have to deal with them again.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Why aren't you paying via credit card on auto pay.

Wife's chase credit card has 5x points for phone bills and utilities.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

novembre wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:48 pm I have been a Verizon customer for over twenty-five years, with no problems at all, until now.
In May I received the usual monthly bill from Verizon and paid it promptly, as I always do.
Two weeks later noticed that the check hadn’t been cashed.
I contacted Verizon by online chat, and agent looked into it and said check had been received. I saved the chat session transcript. (He didn’t say it had been cashed, just received.)
A few days later a human called to say bill hadn’t been paid. I said I had been told that the check did arrive.
He said he would look into it and get back to me within five days.
Three days later I got a robocall saying my account had been suspended, and to restore it I had to pay it immediately by credit card.
So I did that and my service was restored. What I had to pay was not only the original payment (that I had already made),but also the next month’s charges in advance, plus $45 for restoring the service.
About ten days later they cashed the original check that they had lost, and then found, and then lost again, and finally, found again, and credited my account with the amount.
After all this I am still out the $45 they charged me for their error.
I am annoyed and angry that Verizon would treat a long-term customer (with a perfect payment record) this way. I realize that this situation was due to careless, incompetent employees, and I’d like to report them to Verizon’s management.

How should I handle this? How can I inform management of what happened, (and get the penalty credited to my account, and perhaps an apology). I’m done with dealing with their customer service.
Help most appreciated.

Novembre
Good luck getting your money back. I had similar issue except for $600. Took me 3 years to get the money. I ended up switching to another servicer. Same incompetence. Of course if you have records of everything you could consider sticking it up to them and taking them to small claims court. Alternatively go on social media. The latter seems to work better.
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

You may also, if you stick with Verizon, want to look at your plan. Many plans are old and no longer available with better, less expensive plans now being offered. I went from two phones to one and my bill only dropped by about $20. I quick scan of available plans showed that there was a plan, with autopay (that i use) could reduce my cost by another $50. Jumped right on that. In your case, if you can find a better plan, you will get your $45 back in no time.
AAA

Post by AAA »

My Verizon Wireless bill is automatically withdrawn from my bank checking account each month. They send advanced notice of the withdrawal and then confirmation after the withdrawal. I recently renewed my Verizon FIOS plan and got a small additional monthly discount by switching the auto pay from a credit card to the checking account. Maybe Verizon Wireless also offers such a discount.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

unclescrooge wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:59 am Why aren't you paying via credit card on auto pay.

Verizon no longer provides a statement credit for auto pay if using a credit card. You have to use debit card or ACH. I just noticed this change recently.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

MindBogler wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:41 am
unclescrooge wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:59 am Why aren't you paying via credit card on auto pay.

Verizon no longer provides a statement credit for auto pay if using a credit card. You have to use debit card or ACH. I just noticed this change recently.
Statement credit? Please explain.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

The USPS is crazy behind. Crazy slow for certain things.

I would not pay important things by check/snail mail right now. We do not pay bills by check unless a last resort.

Pay online. They should refund the $45.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

AAA wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:36 am My Verizon Wireless bill is automatically withdrawn from my bank checking account each month. They send advanced notice of the withdrawal and then confirmation after the withdrawal. I recently renewed my Verizon FIOS plan and got a small additional monthly discount by switching the auto pay from a credit card to the checking account. Maybe Verizon Wireless also offers such a discount.
I had a co-worker who had the auto pay from his checking.
Verizon one time took out too much.
He had a heck of a time getting them to put it back.
I would never ever let Verizon auto withdraw from checking account.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

unclescrooge wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:29 pm

There is a $5 statement credit per line if you auto pay with a debit card or ACH. You lose the credits if you autopay with a credit card.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Flyer24 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:25 pm
unclescrooge wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:29 pm

There is a $5 statement credit per line if you auto pay with a debit card or ACH. You lose the credits if you autopay with a credit card.
That's news to me!
Thanks.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

go_mets wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:47 pm
AAA wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:36 am My Verizon Wireless bill is automatically withdrawn from my bank checking account each month. They send advanced notice of the withdrawal and then confirmation after the withdrawal. I recently renewed my Verizon FIOS plan and got a small additional monthly discount by switching the auto pay from a credit card to the checking account. Maybe Verizon Wireless also offers such a discount.
I had a co-worker who had the auto pay from his checking.
Verizon one time took out too much.
He had a heck of a time getting them to put it back.
I would never ever let Verizon auto withdraw from checking account.
I use a credit card to pay my Verizon wireless bill. In the past I had a big hassle getting them to reimburse me money they owed me. They reimbursed me exactly half of what they owed me. Had to spend an hour and a half on the phone hassling them again and they finally paid. Now I pay most everything on my credit card. If Verizon owes me money again, I will make one phone call. If they don't fix it, I'll dispute the charges and let my credit card company go after them. No way do they get to pull money out of my bank account.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

climber2020 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:08 pm Agree with above. Once you get this issue sorted out, pay your bill online using autopay with a credit card and you won’t ever have to deal with this again.
Verizon is on the list of companies I would NEVER trust with autopay. They've only messed up a couple of times, but on those occasions it has been off by $100 or more. I've been double-billed, and also mistakenly massively overcharged for things like roaming or data usage when those things didn't apply. It's much easier to see and argue the bill in advance instead of trying to claw your money back.

I *would* recommend switching to online bill pay, but I still suggest seeing the bill first and manually hitting the pay button. But it's much harder for them to lose a payment that way.
Topic Author
novembre

Post by novembre »

Thank you all very much for all your helpful suggestions. We especially appreciate the advice to not let them withdraw funds from our bank account.
But I would like to have suggestions on how to deal with the issue at hand....Verizon charged me $45 for what was their error, so want a credit for that, and.....I want to report this to Verizon management. I don’t want these incompetent customers service reps get away with it.
I know i’m talking about only $45, but it’s not the money, it’s the principle.

Nov
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

Write a letter to the CEO at
One Verizon Way, Basking Ridge, New Jersey 07920, USA
I did this in January 2019.
They actually contacted me.

I have my own bad experience with Verizon.
I have landline service with them.
A few years back I signed up for paperless statements.
I was to sign in online and input my credit card input and pay the bill.
That went well until it didn't. They completely "lost" my online account.
After multiple calls I managed to get them to switch back to paper statements.
And this is how it will stay!

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

novembre wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:38 pm Thank you all very much for all your helpful suggestions. We especially appreciate the advice to not let them withdraw funds from our bank account.
But I would like to have suggestions on how to deal with the issue at hand....Verizon charged me $45 for what was their error, so want a credit for that, and.....I want to report this to Verizon management. I don’t want these incompetent customers service reps get away with it.

Nov
You should call and complain to someone about the $45. If the front line worker can't help ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor can't help ask for their supervisor. Keep asking for supervisors until they give you back the $45. Also, a complaint to the BBB will likely get someone calling you asking how they can make it right. In fact, I'd ask for a supervisor straight away on the first call. Even if they can't reverse the $45 they likely can give you a $45 account goodwill credit or something similar.

Forget about "reporting this to Verizon management". The best you can hope to do is when they send you a survey for asking how someone helped you today is by filling out all 1s. But keep in mind that you will likely be dinging whoever the last person you spoke to, not the person who potentially caused the issue.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

novembre wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:38 pm Thank you all very much for all your helpful suggestions. We especially appreciate the advice to not let them withdraw funds from our bank account.

Nov
Someone made a mistake. Another call with customer service will probably get you $45 back or credited to your next bill pretty easily. I wouldn't bother with trying to reach management unless you first are refused a refund.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

FoolMeOnce wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:58 pm

Nov
Someone made a mistake. Another call with customer service will probably get you $45 back or credited to your next bill pretty easily. I wouldn't bother with trying to reach management unless you first are refused a refund.
If you don't already have it, set up online access to your account. Then discuss the $45 in the chat function. Save the chat, and make sure the person helping you knows you are saving it. Then you've got proof in writing of what they promised. That has worked better for me in the past than phone calls.
Topic Author
novembre

Post by novembre »

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. We will do as suggested and contact Verizon by chat and keep a copy of the chat. Will post our progress.
Topic Author
novembre

Post by novembre »

Update - we have contacted Verizon and related our story but no response.
I don’t know what to do now. Any suggestions?
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

novembre wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:09 pm Update - we have contacted Verizon and related our story but no response.
When I was cheated out of several hundred dollars at a Verizon affiliate store I ended up emailing the consumer advocate writer for our regional newspaper. My story was published, I eventually received a full refund from Verizon itself plus a month of free service, and the store was closed. If you do this make sure that you have detailed records of everything.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

This doesn’t help now, but Verizon and a AT&T both offer attractive ore- paid plans now. So I think it’s $25/month/ line, if you pay a year in advance. So give them $300 and be done with it for a year.

I haven’t switched yet, but it’s in my list of things to do.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

novembre wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:09 pm Update - we have contacted Verizon and related our story but no response.
What did they say when you contacted them? Did you follow up to let them know there was still no refund? Customer service everywhere is such that I expect to make at least two contacts to get anything non standard done.

Do you have a twitter account or have a close family member that does? Public griping can often get a faster response.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Public griping ? Helped MIL open prepaid AT&T acct. Had an issue that customer service would not even respond to. Tried phone, Twitter, ATT own chat room, no responses at all. Finally I called again, hit 0# during menu,
as usual they refuse to transfer me, hit 0# over and over until the menu gave up and finally transferred me to a person.

I use Verizon for many years, and while I think their service is bad, AT&T is worse.
beyou

Post by beyou »

You should consider this a $45 lesson.
The lesson is get with the times and use a credit/debit card or go to another carrier. Paper checks can be mishandled, why risk it ? You took the gamble and lost.
With such a large and notoriously poor organization, use their automated services or don’t use their services at all.

Same argument about Vanguard, all the complaints stem from manual processes. Get with the times.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

beyou wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:21 pm You should consider this a $45 lesson.
The lesson is get with the times and use a credit/debit card or go to another carrier. Paper checks can be mishandled, why risk it ? You took the gamble and lost.
With such a large and notoriously poor organization, use their automated services or don’t use their services at all.

Same argument about Vanguard, all the complaints stem from manual processes. Get with the times.
So your response is "blame the customer"?
beyou

Post by beyou »

palanzo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:25 pm

Blame yourself for being stuck in the past, yes.
Verizon is well known for screwing things up.
I would never do ANYTHING with Verizon or Vanguard that isn’t automated. Don’t trust their people to do their jobs.
Well maybe trust Vanguard a little bit more than Verizon, but not by much.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

I have Verizon pre-paid and pay w/ a credit card and DO get a $5 discount each time. Most recent payment was last Monday.

I see their plans have updated a bit, I have not 'updated' to a new plan, no benefit in it for me.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

beyou wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:28 pm
palanzo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:25 pm

Blame yourself for being stuck in the past, yes.
Verizon is well known for screwing things up.
I would never do ANYTHING with Verizon or Vanguard that isn’t automated. Don’t trust their people to do their jobs.
Well maybe trust Vanguard a little bit more than Verizon, but not by much.
Wow!
wander

Post by wander »

I would call them to talk to customer service or the manager who can make change to the bill and demand the refund for the wrong charge. If it does not work out, that's my last call to Verizon Wireless. I would go somewhere else. By the way, I haven't been their customer since 2000. You have many choices: Two of them are Total Wireless or Yahoo Mobile.
I like prepaid plans as they only care about my credit card number and billing address.
Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 »

*delete*
Last edited by Superleaf444 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

check to see if your state/local newspaper has a consumer issues column. mine does, and the newspaper people go after the company that @#$% the consumer and then publishes the results.

for the future, switch to online bill pay. my bank provides this free of charge. i pay all my main bills (ex: verizon) this way. they provide a confirmation number for each payment made. i used to pay by check, but the online bill function pay where you 'push' the money, rather than the company 'pull' the money has worked out well for me.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
beyou

Post by beyou »

cashboy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:18 pm for the future, switch to online bill pay. my bank provides this free of charge. i pay all my main bills (ex: verizon) this way. they provide a confirmation number for each payment made. i used to pay by check, but the online bill function pay where you 'push' the money, rather than the company 'pull' the money has worked out well for me.
I use online billpay for almost all my bills.
Exception since I get $40/mo discount (10/line) for using auto/paperless bill pay. Push does not qualify, only pull.
And pull from debit card or new Verizon Visa, other cc do not give the discount.

Side benefit of no lost checks.
dpc

Post by dpc »

I'd try chatting on line or calling customer service agent. It might work out.

I just switched to Verizon and was offered an 8% discount for signing up for autopay using bank account or debit card (not credit card). Seemed like a good deal.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers
Topic Author
novembre

Post by novembre »

Wow, thanks everyone for all this good advice.
We’ll go at it again tomorrow, and post again when there’s some news.
davebo

Post by davebo »

I would imagine that the guy you talked to on online chat probably didn't know what he was talking about. Not sure how he'd be able to see that they had received a check, but that it hadn't been cashed yet. I would imagine they only see pymts that have actually posted to your account.

Like others have said, not sure why you wouldn't sign up for auto-payment. Or at the very least, just pay online every month.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

A lot of people on my reddit forums have had problems with Verizon and many found filing a FCC complaint gets someone competent on the case.
fed123

Post by fed123 »

Tweet to their Twitter account. You get the best customer service when the complaints are public.