Need home printer suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NDAMERICA

Need home printer suggestions

Post by NDAMERICA »

Another printer has unceremoniously died. I paid a premium for this Epson Eco-tank version, hoping it would take the sting out of ink costs. My last ditch effort included cleaning the printer heads with a solution. The patient can not be saved. There are no signs of life.

Buy cheap, buy expensive, it always seems to end in disappointment. It feels like this game has only losers. Are my expectations too great? I don't even need color, but a copier would be nice. I don't even print all that much, enough to need a printer is all.

Does anyone out there feel like they have this figured out?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Normchad

Re: Need home printer suggestions

Post by Normchad »

I bought a cheap black and white laser printer from Brother. Super happy with it. The cartridge lasts forever. It just always works.
Last edited by Normchad on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Brother color laser for everything but photos.
For photos, your local camera store.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I've used HP's Instank Ink system and recommend it. It sends you cartridges as needed and you pay per month for a set number of pages, with different plans available, and you can roll over some pages. Advantage is you don't pay extra for color, nor for the cleaning cycles (which can otherwise really drive up costs, esp. if you only print occasionally). Most HP inkjet printers qualify.

See Wirecutter for recommendations: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... e-printer/

The alternative is laser. Laser printers are generally more robust, so if you print a lot of pages, especially text, that would be the way to go.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

About 10 years in on an old Canon laser BW printer. Have been through a few cheap toners, but it is rock solid!
bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers »

Another vote for brother laser, although Ive mostly has BW ones. Hp colr laser is nice, although ton er gets expensive. Still much lower cost than the ink subscription.
apex84

Post by apex84 »

We bought an HP M479fdw in April. It's been great, I think it was $200 less than it is now, so there's probably rotating sales/promotions. It prints in color (comes with partial toner cartridges), has duplex printing, a sheet feeder, and can scan to PDF via email without using the computer. We both bring work home and it's been amazing to use. The toner will be expensive, but I am optimistic it will last. I've had good luck with small office printers at home since they are meant for larger volume use.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

This.....
Normchad wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:49 pm I bought a cheap black and white laser printer from Brother. Super happy with it. The cartridge lasts forever. It just always works.
Plus this.....
Bogle7 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:51 pm Brother color laser for everything but photos.
Is the answer! Or at least is was for me. Takes all the hassle out of dealing with ink.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

02nz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:52 pm Laser printers are generally more robust, so if you print a lot of pages, especially text, that would be the way to go.
At the other extreme, if you print very few pages, laser printers are also better. Ink dries up and will clog the microscopic holes in the inkjet printer heads. Toner ages well. If you had a printer sit idle for 2 years in the corner of your office, I'd be pretty confident that a laser printer would just fire right up and print perfectly. I have no such confidence in an inkjet printer.

These days, you can get a duplexing (prints doublesided) laser printer for $80-$100. For $160, you can get a fancy duplexing laser printer, w/ flat bed scanner/copier and automatic document feeder: https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Monochro ... 0764P8F5J/
and that's the regular price. Wait for a sale, use a coupon at staples/officedepot, or buy a refurb, and it could be substantially less.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

random_walker_77 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:22 pm
02nz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:52 pm Laser printers are generally more robust, so if you print a lot of pages, especially text, that would be the way to go.
At the other extreme, if you print very few pages, laser printers are also better. Ink dries up and will clog the microscopic holes in the inkjet printer heads. Toner ages well. If you had a printer sit idle for 2 years in the corner of your office, I'd be pretty confident that a laser printer would just fire right up and print perfectly. I have no such confidence in an inkjet printer.

These days, you can get a duplexing (prints doublesided) laser printer for $80-$100. For $160, you can get a fancy duplexing laser printer, w/ flat bed scanner/copier and automatic document feeder: https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Monochro ... 0764P8F5J/
and that's the regular price. Wait for a sale, use a coupon at staples/officedepot, or buy a refurb, and it could be substantially less.
Yes, counter-intuitive as it seems, laser works best for the lowest- and highest-volume users. I think if you want reliability and low cost, the best option is probably a B&W laser, and for the few times when you really need color, upload to Staples or the like for printing. Another advantage is that B&W lasers are much smaller; 3 color laser cartridges take up a LOT of space.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

02nz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:52 pm I've used HP's Instank Ink system and recommend it. It sends you cartridges as needed and you pay per month for a set number of pages, with different plans available, and you can roll over some pages. Advantage is you don't pay extra for color, nor for the cleaning cycles (which can otherwise really drive up costs, esp. if you only print occasionally). Most HP inkjet printers qualify.

See Wirecutter for recommendations: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... e-printer/

The alternative is laser. Laser printers are generally more robust, so if you print a lot of pages, especially text, that would be the way to go.
I have an HP Instant Ink printer. I guess inkjet hate me since I only print 2-4 pages a month. After the first month, it won't print properly and HP refuses to change out the ink.

Meanwhile, I have a $40 Canon B&W Laser I bought a few years ago that is doing great on its starter toner cartridge after 3 years or so. It prints duplex/double-sided too. The HP just has scanner duties now.

NDAmerica,
If you want a color laser, double-sided printer, scanner (one single-side though), this seems like a good deal. For now, it comes with a full, standard set of toners for over $2k pages.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-refu ... Id=6416378
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

I have 3 Brother laser printers in my office. The first, an HL 5240, is wired. purchased in 2005. Got a wireless one a few years later. Then got an all in one for copying and scanning capabilities. I try to use the older ones the most so they'll die and I'll get my full money's worth (I'm very cheap), but they just won't cooperate. They are just flawless workhorses. Endless lifespans, aftermarket toner cartridges last seemingly forever too. I'm such a Brother loyalist! you just can't go wrong.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Bought a Brother HL-L2395DW a few months ago. Black and white, duplex, scans and copies, and works very well with Apple’s AirPrint and connecting to Dropbox and the like. No complaints so far. Set up was very easy, even without a computer.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

Laser is the way to go, but I’ll be the first to steer you away from Brother. I’ve had 3 of them one BW and two color. They were all fine, but they had all had frustrating issues around print quality due to the design of the drum and toner cartridge. They also have very long startup times.

A few weeks ago I finally gave up on Brother and bought an HP Color M255dw. So far I’m happy with the purchase.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

My Brother laser printer is still chugging along after more than 15 years of service. I do have to do some minor maintenance from time to time, but nothing more vexing than the maintenance for any laser printer. Back when we were still in the office, we have a decade-old HP that is also still humming along, although it is getting MUCH harder to find parts for it.
illumination

Post by illumination »

The cheapest Brother B&W laser printer gets another vote here. They just go forever, you can get aftermarket toner for next to nothing and will go a long time. If you need color pictures printed, go to like Walgreens and pay a dollar.

I also have a Brother laser color printer, scanner/copier etc that works great, but I just use the "cheap" one about 90% of the time.

Every ink jet printer I have ever owned has been absolute junk and the whole business model with the jacked up ink prices is just such a turn off. It basically means me screwing with it a few hours and eventually throwing it all in the garbage as you're better off just buying a new one, I just wanted to stop the cycle.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:06 pm This.....
Normchad wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:49 pm I bought a cheap black and white laser printer from Brother. Super happy with it. The cartridge lasts forever. It just always works.
Plus this.....
Bogle7 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:51 pm Brother color laser for everything but photos.
Is the answer! Or at least is was for me. Takes all the hassle out of dealing with ink.
+1,000.

KlangFool
stan1

Post by stan1 »

My Brother B&W laser printer is now approaching 16 years old, but I'm not going to make any representation that a Brother printer bought in 2004 in any way represents what a Brother printer bought in 2020. Mine has a lot of metal in it which I'm guessing would not be true today.

But I do think B&W lasers are the best choice if you don't need color on a regular basis. We are down to about 500 pages per year (most during tax season). Agee with outsourcing if you just need periodic color photo quality.

We do a lot more scanning than printing. If you need a scanner too and have limited space you might want to consider a small office MFD with a bed scanner that functions as a copier. We ended up with separate scanners (Canon for photo and a Scansnap for documents) in part because we didn't want to part with the Brother printer.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:25 pm +1,000.

KlangFool
KlangFool

Could you please recommend a model
Number or two to choose?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

mortfree wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:31 pm
KlangFool wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:25 pm +1,000.

KlangFool
KlangFool

Could you please recommend a model
Number or two to choose?
mortfree,

1) You get a scanner and copier for $30 more. There is no reason not to get the multi-function version.

2) Normally, the older model is discounted for about $50 less in a certain time of the year.

3) I had bought about 4 of the Brother printers in this series over the last 5+ years.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Monochro ... B01BHXEAVS

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Monochro ... X9R1QJPR63

KlangFool
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Op -
I don't think you can beat the Brother laser jet printers. They have all types depending on your use needs. I've had a wireless one for ten years now and its never had any issues. The tax preparation service I volunteer in each year has gone to Brother in many locations. :D
Tom D.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

100% get a laser printer. Choose features and price that meet your needs.

Up front costs are higher but the headaches are significantly reduced.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

FYI before corona you could get a b/w laser for $40-50, now they're about double that.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

+1.
billthecat

Post by billthecat »

Print to PDF.

Or if you insist, then get a Brother laser printer, either black and white ($100) or color ($200).

Do NOT get an inkjet. I got a Brother black and white laser for $100 from Costco over 12 years ago, and it still runs great. I box it up, stick it in the garage, and take it out when I need to print, which is only occasionally. Just plug it in, fire it up, let it connect to Wifi, and it prints like day 1.
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails.
RetiredArtist

Post by RetiredArtist »

My 3 year old Brother Work Smart J680DW ink jet behaves well, & when I called tech support with software problem, a knowledgeable person answered & it only took a few minutes.
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

02nz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:52 pm I've used HP's Instank Ink system and recommend it. It sends you cartridges as needed and you pay per month for a set number of pages, with different plans available, and you can roll over some pages. Advantage is you don't pay extra for color, nor for the cleaning cycles (which can otherwise really drive up costs, esp. if you only print occasionally). Most HP inkjet printers qualify.
For the love of all that is holy, don't do this. Instank is a scam designed to separate $$ from your pocketbook. Buy toner/ink when you need it, not in advance on a purchase plan.

I went with a EPSON ET-3760. Quality is only ok, I woudln't be printing out any photos on this one. But it has ink reservoirs that last longer and are much cheaper than anything HP puts out. With COVID, ended up printing a ton and I'm sure I would have gone thorugh 1+ cartriges. My color is barely down and my black has 3/4 left.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

ryman554 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:13 pm
For the love of all that is holy, don't do this. Instank is a scam designed to separate $$ from your pocketbook. Buy toner/ink when you need it, not in advance on a purchase plan.

I went with a EPSON ET-3760. Quality is only ok, I woudln't be printing out any photos on this one. But it has ink reservoirs that last longer and are much cheaper than anything HP puts out. With COVID, ended up printing a ton and I'm sure I would have gone thorugh 1+ cartriges. My color is barely down and my black has 3/4 left.
You're confusing two completely different things. Instant Ink is a monthly subscription model, NOT a tank system where you pay much more up front for the printer. In fact HP recently came out with their own version of the tank system, completely separate from Instant Ink.

The problem with the Ink Tank systems like your Epson is the upfront cost. $400 for a printer with print quality, features, and durability that's more like a $150 printer. That $250 could pay for more than two years of printing on HP's 300 page/mo plan; the Epson certainly isn't engineered to last much longer than that. If you print a lot (hundreds of pages a month) the tank can work out to be cheaper, but at that point I'd much rather have the robustness of a laser.

Instant Ink works on HP's standard, non-"tank" printers. There are plans from free (15 pages/mo) up to $20/mo, you can change or switch any time. For occasional users, especially if printing a lot in color, Instant Ink works out much cheaper than buying cartridges, because the per-page cost is the same for B/W and color, and cleaning cycles (which can use up a huge amount of ink, proportionately, for occasional users) don't count against your usage.
Last edited by 02nz on Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Another for Brother 'cuz your money goes fuhther.
Semper Augustus