Spiked Seltzers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Spiked Seltzers?

Post by LuigiLikesPizza »

I see many brands of spiked seltzers in the local groceries?

Are any of these good tasting?

good tasting as in not cloyingly sweet, or if they use alternative sweeteners, no aftertaste?

flavor true to form, as in, mango tastes mango-like?

Do you recommend any? Thanks
stan1

Re: Spiked Seltzers?

Post by stan1 »

I've had a few White Claw Black Cherry cans which I prefer over their other flavors.

Otherwise I'd buy a single can or a variety pack to see which ones appeal to you. I find most Lacroix flavored waters to be undrinkable yet obviously some people buy those too.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

They're not too sweet at all. Not like those disgusting Mike's Hard Lemonade or similar drinks. They taste very similar to La Croix sparkling water except with alcohol in them. I don't think there's any aftertaste. In my opinion they're quite refreshing on a brutally hot day.
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

UGH!

THEY ALL STINK. All have an aftertaste to me, but Truly are the worst.

Wife likes only the Mango from White Claw....

IMHO

Wally
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I have had Bon-Viv, Truly and White Claw brands. I think they are less filling than beer and so are a good alternative on a hot day or when you just want something a little different. I tend to buy White Claw the most. They are not sweet at all, think more club soda with flavor and a hint of sweetness. As others mentioned, you can try single cans or buy a variety pack to try different flavors.

I like White Claw Grapefruit best; Black Cherry, Raspberry and Lemon are also very good and I will drink most flavors except don’t care for Lime.
Last edited by Kenkat on Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

I had a couple of Bud Light seltzers. Can't recall what flavors they were. No objectionable but not something that I would actively seek out.

I would suggest finding a non-alcoholic seltzer brand you enjoy and adding a shot or two of vodka. Probably cheaper too.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
MythicalSeth

Post by MythicalSeth »

7eight9 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:38 pm I had a couple of Bud Light seltzers. Can't recall what flavors they were. No objectionable but not something that I would actively seek out.

I would suggest finding a non-alcoholic seltzer brand you enjoy and adding a shot or two of vodka. Probably cheaper too.
Far cheaper and many more flavor options! -MS
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Aint no laws when your drinking White Claws!
WS1

Post by WS1 »

Wild Basin is really good. It’s made by Oskar Blues Brewery, and they are a long time heavy hitter in the craft beer world. I’ve only had the original mix pack. The flavors taste real and the carbonation is light compared to seltzer or bud light

https://www.wildbasinboozywater.com/
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

wallygator wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:35 pm Wife likes only the Mango from White Claw....
Funny how that works, everyone hates the Mango at our place..... The others are tolerated by someone... Black Cherry being the most requested.

I once read an article about how preferences like this work. They have amazing geographical and income-level related connections beyond the expected cultural/ethnic biases that come from the food you eat growing up. Basically if you like Black Cherry, they can figure out where you live and how much money you make. It is actually kind of freaky.

I need to re-find that article.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

retiringwhen wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:52 pm Funny how that works, everyone hates the Mango at our place..... The others are tolerated by someone... Black Cherry being the most requested.

I once read an article about how preferences like this work. They have amazing geographical and income-level related connections beyond the expected cultural/ethnic biases that come from the food you eat growing up. Basically if you like Black Cherry, they can figure out where you live and how much money you make. It is actually kind of freaky.
I love Mango the best! Do I fall in the rich category lol
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

When our daughter was visiting, she bought a variety pack of White Claw. She drinks them because they're 100 calories in a 12 oz can, and she's trying to drop a few pounds. 5% abv.

I'm not really into the Claws, but drank a Stiegl grapefruit radler last night. It was really good, though I'm a bigger beer fan, than seltzer or wine cooler fan. Plus, I have fond memories of Stiegl from living in Salzburg one summer. Low alcohol - 2.5% abv., though more calories - 180 in the 16oz can.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Artful Dodger wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:10 pm When our daughter was visiting, she bought a variety pack of White Claw. She drinks them because they're 100 calories in a 12 oz can, and she's trying to drop a few pounds. 5% abv.

I'm not really into the Claws, but drank a Stiegl grapefruit radler last night. It was really good, though I'm a bigger beer fan, than seltzer or wine cooler fan. Plus, I have fond memories of Stiegl from living in Salzburg one summer. Low alcohol - 2.5% abv., though more calories - 180 in the 16oz can.
I need to try one of those...I like all things grapefruit
Osterix

Post by Osterix »

If you’re looking for low calorie alcoholic beverage, I recommend buying Spindrift (carbonated water with real fruit juice) and adding Kirkland Signature French vodka. 💥
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

LuigiLikesPizza wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:18 pm I see many brands of spiked seltzers in the local groceries?

Are any of these good tasting?

good tasting as in not cloyingly sweet, or if they use alternative sweeteners, no aftertaste?

flavor true to form, as in, mango tastes mango-like?

Do you recommend any? Thanks
You can always just put a shot of vodka in your favorite seltzer, probably save money too.

lol, edit to add, I see I just got beat to this answer.
Last edited by MrBobcat on Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

If TRULY, the lime ones hide the chemical aftertaste the best...
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Osterix wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:41 pm If you’re looking for low calorie alcoholic beverage, I recommend buying Spindrift (carbonated water with real fruit juice) and adding Kirkland Signature French vodka. 💥
I wish the Costco's around here were allowed to sell liquor.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

If you like LaCroix and Bubly and Ice Mountain sparkling waters, then the hard seltzers might appeal to you.

They are light and refreshing. It is essentially a zero calorie, lightly flavored alcohol delivery system.

I usually pick the LaCroix, Bubly or Ice Mountain. But, if having 1 or 2, the seltzers are decent. Each are different. Try a few. I didn't like the Truly, but some of the other brands are decent.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

I think it was a White Claw that I had at a Rubio's a week or two ago. It was... okay. It also might not have been a White Claw, and I don't remember which flavor it was. No, it wasn't that strong!

I like alcohol and I like seltzer water, but my first attempt trying the combination didn't do much for me.

I believe they are more popular than beer with the current generation of college students, but I do not know why. Then again, I was a mixed drinks kinda guy back in college so who knows.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
PennyHartz

Post by PennyHartz »

My favorite spiked seltzer is from Trader Joe’s. I think the brand name is “Shell House” and the pomegranate or raspberry flavors are delicious! I think it’s cheaper than White Claw also!
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I'm not embarrassed to say as a 34 year old male that I'll drink the occasional hard seltzer. I mostly drink craft beer and wine, but on a hot day I find something like a hard seltzer more refreshing than a beer. Some people like a cheap American beer for that role, but I've never liked doing that.
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

LuigiLikesPizza wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:18 pm I see many brands of spiked seltzers in the local groceries?
Selling spiked seltzers is almost certainly illegal. Hard seltzers would be OK. ;-)
WS1

Post by WS1 »

otinkyad wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:27 pm
Selling spiked seltzers is almost certainly illegal. Hard seltzers would be OK. ;-)
My understanding is the lack of actual canned cocktails, ya know with real liquor, was due to our bizarre sin tax system and not outright prohibition. A Moscow mule in can with 6% ABV pays more in tax than a Mule flavored malt beverage (hard seltzer, twisted tea, etc) with the same ABV. There are now some great canned cocktails from a handful of brands. Off the top of mind I can think of Cutwater Spirits and Boulevard, both of which are part of major craft brewing operations. The taxes have definitely pushed them to a premium level of the market; I vaguely remember $3 or $4 a can
ladders11

Post by ladders11 »

Beer flatlines my energy level, but either hard seltzer or hard cider usually don't. Both have become good daytime or summertime occasionals.
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

To point out the obvious, if there is a seltzer you already enjoy drinking, adding splash or two of, say, vodka works nicely. This is my SO's preferred MO for summer drink.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

DoTheMath wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:29 pm To point out the obvious, if there is a seltzer you already enjoy drinking, adding splash or two of, say, vodka works nicely. This is my SO's preferred MO for summer drink.
+1

A splash of Tito's vodka in a La Croix Orange or Tangerine (pick your favorite flavor) is a pretty good, light drink.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Yes, using seltzer as a mixer is already a favorite at home.

I was seeking opinions on packaged hard seltzers for carrying to barbecues.

thanks
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

For the big nationals, another vote for White Claw.

However, there may be a really good local player depending on where you live. We abandoned White Claw for "Mighty Swell", by a company here in Texas. It's WAY better, likely because it's 10% actual fruit juice. Basically identical from a calorie\sugar perspective.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Kona makes a hard seltzer. Believe it or not, it's true. All the flavors are pretty good. I like flavored seltzer anyway, but the Kona was liked by my beer and whiskey only dude. It's 5%.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next."
stickman731

Post by stickman731 »

You will get opinions all over the map on this subject as it is a matter of personal taste.

I have tried many of them because of the low calorie count. Some have added sugar (i.e., High Noon) and taste less seltzer-ery (I avoid these as I watch my sugar intact).

I prefer Truly Watermelon, Pineapple and Mixed Berry followed by Smirnoff Red, White and Blue. I found White Claw to be too variable and inconsistent-the seltzer taste sometimes overwhelming.
life in slices

Post by life in slices »

stickman731 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:45 am You will get opinions all over the map on this subject as it is a matter of personal taste.

I have tried many of them because of the low calorie count. Some have added sugar (i.e., High Noon) and taste less seltzer-ery (I avoid these as I watch my sugar intact).

I prefer Truly Watermelon, Pineapple and Mixed Berry followed by Smirnoff Red, White and Blue. I found White Claw to be too variable and inconsistent-the seltzer taste sometimes overwhelming.
Truly is pretty good and our preferred brand

Had spiked coconut water last night - pretty decent I thought
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 »

I'm a heavy drinker of non-alcoholic seltzers so the hard seltzers are an easy intake of alcohol for me.

Another vote for White Claw. For whatever reason it seems to have the cleanest taste.

Yesterday there was no WC in the grocery store so the wife picked up Truly for our July 4 party. It's ok, I only had 5 of them.
CycloRista

Post by CycloRista »

I purchase Spindrift flavored fizzy waters by the case and drink them w/o alcohol more often and occasionally add a splash of quality booze (Russian Standard vodka or a decent gin).
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

CycloRista wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:51 am I purchase Spindrift flavored fizzy waters by the case and drink them w/o alcohol more often and occasionally add a splash of quality booze (Russian Standard vodka or a decent gin).
+1 on Spindrift. Their flavors are quite different than LaCroix and the others. You'll either like it much better or much worse than other brands. I like their lime and their lemon/iced-tea, but not some of the others. Worth a try if you want to like seltzers and want flavors closer to the natural flavor.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Nobody drinks seltzers here in my family, also nothing like Pepsi and Coca Cola. Why shall the body consume artificial chemicals? I, wife, son and grandson drink bottled water and milk. Wife and I also drink coffee, I also a daily beer, like a Sam Adams Boston Lager.
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

I, wife, son and grandson drink bottled water and milk

Have you tried tap or filtered water? less waste, right?
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

likegarden wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:39 pm Nobody drinks seltzers here in my family, also nothing like Pepsi and Coca Cola. Why shall the body consume artificial chemicals? I, wife, son and grandson drink bottled water and milk. Wife and I also drink coffee, I also a daily beer, like a Sam Adams Boston Lager.
So that would be a "no" - why are you bothering to respond to this topic if you have nothing to contribute?
WS1

Post by WS1 »

DoTheMath wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:49 pm
CycloRista wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:51 am I purchase Spindrift flavored fizzy waters by the case and drink them w/o alcohol more often and occasionally add a splash of quality booze (Russian Standard vodka or a decent gin).
+1 on Spindrift. Their flavors are quite different than LaCroix and the others. You'll either like it much better or much worse than other brands. I like their lime and their lemon/iced-tea, but not some of the others. Worth a try if you want to like seltzers and want flavors closer to the natural flavor.
+2 on spindrift

Not only are the flavors “different” the flavorings are actual juice!
WS1

Post by WS1 »

I haven’t heard of half these brands

https://vinepair.com/buy-this-booze/30 ... zers-2020/
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

My experience is that the seltzer’s in general all suck.

However, there are a number of locally produced ciders that are excellent. I am actually sipping a Blood Orange Cider from Austin CiderS at the moment. Very tasty and refreshing.

Happy tippling

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

My girlfriend and most of her friends are fans of the seltzers and I have tried all of the popular brands out there. They would NOT be my first drink of choice (I'm an Old Fashioned drinker), however I was surprised that the Bud Light brand was my favorite.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

likegarden wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:39 pm Nobody drinks seltzers here in my family, also nothing like Pepsi and Coca Cola. Why shall the body consume artificial chemicals? I, wife, son and grandson drink bottled water and milk. Wife and I also drink coffee, I also a daily beer, like a Sam Adams Boston Lager.
How many artificial chemicals do you think are in seltzer? It's just water and carbon dioxide. The flavored ones just have some "natural flavoring" extracted from fruit. There's no sugar or sweetener or anything.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

Let's call spiked seltzer what it is: not distilled liquor in carbonated water, but Malt Liquor Flavored Beverage Product (or something like that.) It's Colt 45 dressed up for yuppies. If you find it refreshing and tasty, at the right price, then buy it an enjoy it. But if you want the flavor of vodka or whiskey in fruity soda water, you will have to buy those two products and mix them together.

EDIT: The following post is a fair correction. Alcoholic beverages are regulated by states, and what's available to me may not be the same as what is available to posters in another state. I believe that some states do not permit single-serving canned cocktails with distilled spirits to be sold, only malt beverages. The other issue is that many stores, for cost reasons, have a wine/malt beverage sale license, and not a full license.
Last edited by crefwatch on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

crefwatch wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:22 am Let's call spiked seltzer what it is: not distilled liquor in carbonated water, but Malt Liquor Flavored Beverage Product (or something like that.) It's Colt 45 dressed up for yuppies. If you find it refreshing and tasty, at the right price, then buy it an enjoy it. But if you want the flavor of vodka or whiskey in fruity soda water, you will have to buy those two products and mix them together.
Not entirely true. There are several brands that are made with Vodka (High Noon is one) or Tequila (Sauza is one). I don't believe I've seen any made with whiskey, though I did have one made with Single-malt scotch.
CycloRista

Post by CycloRista »

Whakamole wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:29 pm
So that would be a "no" - why are you bothering to respond to this topic if you have nothing to contribute?
There is the option of spiking seltzer yourself with decent booze; that's why I responded...
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Not a fan. Most of the time I drink whiskey on the rocks, which is minimal calories and sweetness is not a problem. But if I want to pound something after a long summer hike, I'll pour some premium fruit juice over a bed of rum or pure grain alcohol. I guess you could use vodka if you're an aristocrat. But vodka just tastes like pure grain alcohol with the most expensive water you'll ever buy.
stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 »

Chicago Tribune did a review of all the seltzers they could get their hands on in Chicago last summer (although several have come out since then).

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/d ... story.html

As an avid meadmaker (and mead drinker!), I find the most refreshing fruity summer adult beverage to be mixing a nice tart fruit mead with some sparkling water, about 1 part mead to 2 or 3 parts water.