I sold my boat today

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
HomerJ

I sold my boat today

Post by HomerJ »

And, contrary to the common saying, it wasn't one of the happiest days of my life.

I was pretty sad.

But still, less headaches now. We've sold the lake condo, and now we're getting rid of everything else.

Streamlining our lives as we get ready for the next phase of our life.

We can take that money and use it to rent an occasional boat for a full day now and then. But that's not the same as having your own boat that you can take out for a quick hour sunset cruise at a whim.. :(

Ah, well.

(What I'm REALLY going to miss is the jetski - Man I love that thing)
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
Cheez-It Guy

Re: I sold my boat today

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Condolences for your loss.

You should have gotten together with the guy on here who was buying a boat recently.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

FWIW I sold my boat (52ft catamaran) it just getting to be too much work. Felt like it was sad day, two years later it has become a much happier day. Don’t miss it a bit. Even sunset rides now walk the beach for the sunset.
Good luck on your next adventures
ER2023

Post by ER2023 »

HomerJ,

I was so surprised to read you sold your lake condo and jet ski! I always enjoy reading your posts (those posts really helped me stay the course this year), and recall how you purchased the condo when a close friend died of cancer at such a young age. It resonated with me a lot since none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, so if you really want something, do it now. You and your family seemed to enjoy it and you will always have those memories - no regrets.

I wish you all the best as you begin your next chapter!
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Sorry to hear the boat is gone - hopefully a new one is somewhere in your future.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

HomerJ wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:54 pm And, contrary to the common saying, it wasn't one of the happiest days of my life.

I was pretty sad.

But still, less headaches now. We've sold the lake condo, and now we're getting rid of everything else.

Streamlining our lives as we get ready for the next phase of our life.

We can take that money and use it to rent an occasional boat for a full day now and then. But that's not the same as having your own boat that you can take out for a quick hour sunset cruise at a whim.. :(

Ah, well.

(What I'm REALLY going to miss is the jetski - Man I love that thing)
For how much?
btenny

Post by btenny »

Boating and living on a lake is wonderful and fun. But I am sure there are other great ways to enjoy life and have fun. Good Luck and have fun with your new life plan.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Don't be too sad, if you change your mind you can always buy another one. Always your choice.
Semper Augustus
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I have an annual membership to our local boat rental. We bike there, go for a quick paddle, and bike home. They have four locations here, so never locked into one lake and never have to haul/store the boat. The shared economy is convenient.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I thought that you would always have a boat Homer! So sorry to hear about that.

How much does it cost to rent one in your area? In ours, it's $150/hr. We've been out on one a grand total of once in the last six years, and only then because it was half price and only a few hours.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Topic Author
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

ER2023 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:58 pm HomerJ,

I was so surprised to read you sold your lake condo and jet ski! I always enjoy reading your posts (those posts really helped me stay the course this year), and recall how you purchased the condo when a close friend died of cancer at such a young age. It resonated with me a lot since none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, so if you really want something, do it now. You and your family seemed to enjoy it and you will always have those memories - no regrets.

I wish you all the best as you begin your next chapter!
Thanks... It was well worth it.

We enjoyed it very much for 7 years, but the youngest kid grew up, has a job in the summers, so we can't go for long periods of time, like we did when he was younger. Maintenance costs were going up too, since everything that was new 7 years ago now needs some work.

Two houses was nice for a while, but now we are looking to make our lives a little easier with just one. I wanted the one to be the lake condo, but I was outvoted (somewhere in our marriage contract it says my wife wins 1-1 ties)

We also may move in a year or two to a retirement community with more stuff to do.

I will have to scratch my itch with boat and jetski rentals for now. We'll go back to renting for a week with family at various lakes, instead of everyone always coming to our place. :(

Maybe in 5-10 years we can revisit the idea of owning a summer and a winter home. :)
Last edited by HomerJ on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
Topic Author
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:08 am I thought that you would always have a boat Homer! So sorry to hear about that.

How much does it cost to rent one in your area? In ours, it's $150/hr. We've been out on one a grand total of once in the last six years, and only then because it was half price and only a few hours.
$300 for 4 hours in our area. So it does probably make financial sense to just rent. :)
Topic Author
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Teague wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:10 pm Don't be too sad, if you change your mind you can always buy another one. Always your choice.
Yep, exactly. :)
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

I have a great book by Elaine St. James entitled Simplify
Your Life with the subtitle: 100 Ways to Slow Down and
Enjoy the Things That Really Matter.

Your post reminded me of Item # 21: "Sell the Damn Boat".
vested1

Post by vested1 »

My wife and I had a shared birthday yesterday and our kids, grandkids, and great granddaughter came over to help us celebrate. We pulled them around the lake all day on a tube (not all at one time however), which provided some hilarious memories and a few videos. So far the vote has been 2-0 to keep the boat, but if my wife ever decides that she's tired of all that fun, laughter, and gentle rocking, I'll have to call in the reinforcements by increasing the voting base to include those who visited today. If I ever decide to get rid of the boat it will have to go, mainly because my wife's only familiarity with a screwdriver involves a joke about drinking.

Congratulations on your new phase Homer, every change requires courage. Life is an adventure meant to be lived, and simplifying it is never a bad thing. Neither is complicating it occasionally. Good luck and bon voyage. :sharebeer
Topic Author
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

vested1 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:09 am My wife and I had a shared birthday yesterday and our kids, grandkids, and great granddaughter came over to help us celebrate. We pulled them around the lake all day on a tube (not all at one time however), which provided some hilarious memories and a few videos. So far the vote has been 2-0 to keep the boat, but if my wife ever decides that she's tired of all that fun, laughter, and gentle rocking, I'll have to call in the reinforcements by increasing the voting base to include those who visited today. If I ever decide to get rid of the boat it will have to go, mainly because my wife's only familiarity with a screwdriver involves a joke about drinking.

Congratulations on your new phase Homer, every change requires courage. Life is an adventure meant to be lived, and simplifying it is never a bad thing. Neither is complicating it occasionally. Good luck and bon voyage. :sharebeer
I've got plenty of hilarious memories and many videos too.... :)

But the kids are grown up, and there are no grandkids yet... Maybe in 10 years, if we have a few, I'll buy another boat. :)
Tub84

Post by Tub84 »

HomerJ,

I have just returned from a lake vacation (rental) with friends.....on a floating house......boats....jetski.

I was searching BH looking for perspective on the possibility of buying a lake vacation property when I came upon your recent (and past) experiences. Thank you for your posts on this topic (and your many others that I enjoyed). While I now intend to continue renting, I can understand why you owned (and also why you sold).

Fair winds to you!
avenger

Post by avenger »

We sold our boat the week before the country locked down in March. Just finishing putting in an inground pool and hoping to make just as many great memories.

Congratulations!
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

Looks like living on the lake is fun. Now I need to find a lake in NYC area first.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

nydoc wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:50 am Looks like living on the lake is fun. Now I need to find a lake in NYC area first.
We have mostly boated on Long Island sound and the coast but there are many places where yo can go fresh water boating in and near NY as well.
The first and most obvious one is the Hudson river which turns to fresh water right around West Point at the "Worlds End" bend. Enjoying any part of the river all the way from the Statue of Liberty up to Albany with many things to see and do in between.
Other more typical lakes we have boated in:
- Lake George (smaller boats)
- Lake Champlain
- Lake Wallenpaupack
And there are those 'really big' lakes up north of Oswego that we traveled through a few years back as well.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I love to jetski. Tubing on a boat is also a blast. Lake houses can be money pits, although in the current environment I see more people spending far more time at the lake. Although it looks like in this case less time will be spent there which makes selling it the right answer.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ