New Vehicle Suggestions - need more utility

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mr.Chlorine

New Vehicle Suggestions - need more utility

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

Looking for suggestions on next vehicle.

Currently drive a 2012 Lincoln MKZ that I purchased in 2015 for $10,500. The car has 80k miles on it and apart from the AC compressor dying ($600 fix), has been a great vehicle! Kelley Blue Book estimates a private party sale of $8,200, which I would say is fair for my area. However, I recently purchased my first home and need something with more utility.

Needs:
- Daily commuter
- 2 rows of seating
- Handles snow and cold (AWD nice, but learned to drive in the winter without)
- Towing small/medium sized loads (think 2,000 lbs max)
- Cargo space for furniture and trips to the hardware store

For these needs, I am looking at compact SUVs, mid-size SUVs, mid-size pickups, and full-size pickups. My research points to mid-sized pickups, but open to suggestions. Price is not a huge issue as long as the value is justified. Prefer 2 years old or newer.

Edits
*Have access to numerous sized trailers. All open, no covered trailers.
*Current MKZ is standard front wheel drive
Last edited by Mr.Chlorine on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap

Re: New Vehicle Suggestions - need more utility

Post by Sandtrap »

Toyota pickup truck with fore wheel drive.
Tundra or Tacoma

You will not regret going bigger.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Unless you're hauling stuff every trip, pickup trucks' worse ride and handling are just not worth it. The exception would be the Honda Ridgeline, which is based on a car. I'd look at a RAV4 or similar - although it's a "compact" SUV they're really pretty huge inside, especially compared to your MKZ. I think you have to go up to the "Adventure" trim of the RAV4 to get more than 1500 lbs of towing capacity.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Do you have a trailer? A car with a trailer can often absolutely OWN a pickup for hauling capacity. And even better, with a load of lumber, you can get home, unhook the trailer and just leave it there while you go off in the car and do whatever you want to do.

I've owned a pickup once. Never again. Mine was a single cab and even groceries were a pain to transport. Now, with a trailer, I can pull it with either my Crosstrek or my Wrangler. My trailer is a 2 place aluminum snowmobile trailer (I used to own sleds). It's worked great for picking up appliances and furniture, bringing brush to our recycling center and carting scrap steel to the scrap yard for a little extra cash. I have zero reason to ever have a pickup. There's nothing I can think of that I would need it for that I can't do with the trailer.

I see the MKZ sometimes comes as an AWD. Is yours AWD? If not, and you like the car, maybe get a used, newer example with AWD. Bolt on a trailer hitch and there ya go.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:12 am Toyota pickup truck with fore wheel drive.
Tundra or Tacoma

j🌺
Oh, you might regret going bigger! I had a full-size pickup (when they were smaller!) extended (not crew) cab, short bed. I had to back it into my garage (long story, but it was the only way it would fit) and had two inches to spare in front of the door after closing it. I had a super-convenient raised concrete slab that hit the rear wheels by coincidence one-half inch before the rear bumper would have gone through my kitchen wall. But the truck was also wide enough that I could not use any side storage on that side of the (2-car) garage. A current-generation full-sized truck of any of the usual brands would simply no longer fit except possibly a regular cab, and I would need to modify the concrete because the back end would go through my kitchen wall.
Topic Author
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:20 am Do you have a trailer? A car with a trailer can often absolutely OWN a pickup for hauling capacity. And even better, with a load of lumber, you can get home, unhook the trailer and just leave it there while you go off in the car and do whatever you want to do.

I've owned a pickup once. Never again. Mine was a single cab and even groceries were a pain to transport. Now, with a trailer, I can pull it with either my Crosstrek or my Wrangler. My trailer is a 2 place aluminum snowmobile trailer (I used to own sleds). It's worked great for picking up appliances and furniture, bringing brush to our recycling center and carting scrap steel to the scrap yard for a little extra cash. I have zero reason to ever have a pickup. There's nothing I can think of that I would need it for that I can't do with the trailer.

I see the MKZ sometimes comes as an AWD. Is yours AWD? If not, and you like the car, maybe get a used, newer example with AWD. Bolt on a trailer hitch and there ya go.
I updated my first post, but yes I do have access to a trailer. It is not mine, but I have permission to use it if I give some heads up notice.

Unfortunately my MKZ is front wheel drive. Bought it from a snowbird who never drove in snow. It does fine in the winter. Heavy enough that I can manage, but it is so low that a couple inches of snow renders it useless. Gotta wait for the plows to go through then.
UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:12 am Toyota pickup truck with fore wheel drive.
Tundra or Tacoma

j🌺
Do yourself a favor and test drive a new Honda Ridgeline. Amazingly comfortable ride, feels like a smooth SUV experience, but you have the benefit of the truck bed - and a very large trunk space UNDER the truck bed. The rear seats in the cabin flip up (60/40 split) so you have the full space floor to ceiling for additional storage. I drive a 2018 RTL-E and it is hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned. Can tow 5,000 lbs, has like a 7,000 lb payload, has a ton of safety features if you go for high end trim - lane departure assist (steers you back onto road if you drift out of the lane), adaptive cruise control, etc. My bed has built in speakers so turns into a sound system - great for tailgating. And the tail gate opens two ways, traditional, and a side hinge so it swings open like a door - helps you get closer to the bed to reach things and get to the under bed trunk.

In fact I was set on a Tacoma for a while. Love the new design and reputation for reliability. Spent several weeks hunting for the right one at the right price before deciding to take every other mid size truck on the market for a spin. When I drove the Ridgeline my mind was made up almost before I pulled out of the dealership parking lot. For good measures I went back and drove another Tacoma Limited to make sure I was solid on the Ridge...and it felt like I was driving a go-cart. It was cramped, dark, poor sight lines, bouncy drive...compared to the Ridgeline. I was shocked. And very damn happy I sat in a Ridge before finding a Tacoma.

I honestly kinda feel bad for Tacoma drivers these days since they've paid up for a far inferior truck (UNLESS you're actually planning to go off roading or need to tow a few more lbs than the Ridge is capable of).

For your average commuter who wants a truck for the added utility...RIDGELINE ALL THE WAY.
Last edited by UnLearnYourself on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Mr Chlorine,
Maybe take a look at a 4Runner...rent an enclosed trailer for the furniture.
I've always wanted a nice enclosed trailer but the rental price is nice; I can't justify the purchase price.
Topic Author
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

02nz wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:15 am Unless you're hauling stuff every trip, pickup trucks' worse ride and handling are just not worth it. The exception would be the Honda Ridgeline, which is based on a car. I'd look at a RAV4 or similar - although it's a "compact" SUV they're really pretty huge inside, especially compared to your MKZ. I think you have to go up to the "Adventure" trim of the RAV4 to get more than 1500 lbs of towing capacity.
Right now I need to borrow or rent something almost once a week since the MKZ is not big enough. I estimate that would go down to every other week once I finish the few projects I am working on now. Ironically one of the vehicles I borrow is a Honda Ridgeline (older style). It seems to fit all my needs and is definitely an option.
rhanna

Post by rhanna »

AWD is nice until you get a nail in one of your tires side wall and have to replace more than 1 tire because the awd system doesn't like the difference in tire tread. I was lucky enough to only have to replace 1 additional tire but it still sucks when you have half the life left in the tread.

Our Buick Enclave would start to make noise at highway speed, even more so when going around a curve
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

UnLearnYourself wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:34 am
Tundra or Tacoma

j🌺
Do yourself a favor and test drive a new Honda Ridgeline. Amazingly comfortable ride, feels like a smooth SUV experience, but you have the benefit of the truck bed - and a very large trunk space UNDER the truck bed. The rear seats in the cabin flip up (60/40 split) so you have the full space floor to ceiling for additional storage. I drive a 2018 RTL-E and it is hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned. Can tow 5,000 lbs, has like a 7,000 lb payload, has a ton of safety features if you go for high end trim - lane departure assist (steers you back onto road if you drift out of the lane), adaptive cruise control, etc. My bed has built in speakers so turns into a sound system - great for tailgating. And the tail gate opens two ways, traditional, and a side hinge so it swings open like a door - helps you get closer to the bed to reach things and get to the under bed trunk.

In fact I was set on a Tacoma for a while. Love the new design and reputation for reliability. Spent several weeks hunting for the right one at the right price before deciding to take every other mid size truck on the market for a spin. When I drove the Ridgeline my mind was made up almost before I pulled out of the dealership parking lot. For good measures I went back and drove another Tacoma Limited to make sure I was solid on the Ridge...and it felt like I was driving a go-cart. It was cramped, dark, poor sight lines, bouncy drive...compared to the Ridgeline. I was shocked. And very damn happy I sat in a Ridge before finding a Tacoma.

I honestly kinda feel bad for Tacoma drivers these days since they've paid up for a far inferior truck (UNLESS you're actually planning to go off roading or need to tow a few more lbs than the Ridge is capable of).

For your average commuter who wants a truck for the added utility...RIDGELINE ALL THE WAY.
Yes.
Recently test drove a new Ridgeline with DW. Great vehicle.
j
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

We love our Subaru Ascent and with the turbo has plenty of power to tow. Lots of room inside with the 3rd row down.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Mr.Chlorine wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:34 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:20 am Do you have a trailer? A car with a trailer can often absolutely OWN a pickup for hauling capacity. And even better, with a load of lumber, you can get home, unhook the trailer and just leave it there while you go off in the car and do whatever you want to do.

I updated my first post, but yes I do have access to a trailer. It is not mine, but I have permission to use it if I give some heads up notice.

Unfortunately my MKZ is front wheel drive. Bought it from a snowbird who never drove in snow. It does fine in the winter. Heavy enough that I can manage, but it is so low that a couple inches of snow renders it useless. Gotta wait for the plows to go through then.
Even if you look at trucks these days they usually have air dams that are very close to the road to keep air out from underneath, so realistically relatively little snow can still be a problem.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

I feel the exact opposite, I couldn't live without a pick up. I'm constantly throwing things in the bed..dump runs, brush, pallets, spray tanks, plants. Much more convenient for me than dealing with a trailer, to each their own.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

I have a 3/4 ton, crew cab, 4WD, 6 1/2 ft bed pick up truck. I use it to tow and haul heavy things, like a 12,000 lbs 5th wheel trailer. It is a beast for towing and hauling heavy things. It is a torture chamber for daily driving. It gets 12 mpg just pulling itself around. 1/2 ton trucks are more comfortable and get much better gas mileage. The Ridgeline is a car with a pickup body and is very good for light utility work and as a daily driver.

My wife has a compact 4WD SUV. She uses it to haul groceries. But it can tow 4,600 lbs. It has proven tow worthy:

If we didn't have a giant trailer, I would prefer the SUV and use a small trailer to haul things that we normally haul. If you know you are just going to haul household stuff and never get a trailer >3,500 lbs, go with the Ridgeline or SUV. If there is any chance you will get into heavier things (>3,500 lbs), save yourself a lot of money and get a pickup now. I went from small pickup, to 1/2 ton pickup to 3/4 ton chasing towing capacity. That was expensive.
Last edited by corn18 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't do something, just stand there!
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:43 am

I feel the exact opposite, I couldn't live without a pick up. I'm constantly throwing things in the bed..dump runs, brush, pallets, spray tanks, plants. Much more convenient for me than dealing with a trailer, to each their own.
I’d say frequency is the key here. I agree with Jack in general, and I’ve had a truck for all but four years of my life. Gas can runs would really be the most frequent thing. At some point I will be getting a different vehicle (current truck just turned 20) and am really battling which way to go. Leaning towards smaller SUV and a small trailer. I could see getting by with just a hitch tube rack also, but that would also be annoying to put on and off.
wriley4409

Post by wriley4409 »

Do yourself a favor and test drive a new Honda Ridgeline.
+1

If you're moving from a Lincoln, you would enjoy the Ridgeline compared to many other offerings that might meet your needs.
Topic Author
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

This was my logic as well. Before the MKZ I had a Ranger and that was very handy, just wish the cab was a bit bigger.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Mr.Chlorine wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:26 pm

This was my logic as well. Before the MKZ I had a Ranger and that was very handy, just wish the cab was a bit bigger.
You definitely sound like a Ridgeline candidate. It is a great daily pickup truck.
Topic Author
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:27 am
Mr.Chlorine wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:34 am

Even if you look at trucks these days they usually have air dams that are very close to the road to keep air out from underneath, so realistically relatively little snow can still be a problem.
That is a good point. I will keep that in mind when I start test driving vehicles.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Another thing to consider is fitting a truck in your garage. Most 1/2 ton trucks with crew cabs are 19' long. My garage when empty is 20 ft long, so it just fits. Height is an issue as well. So keep an eye on that.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I'll make it easy....something with a Honda or Toyota in the name.
Living Free

Post by Living Free »

Get a minivan - a toyota sienna with AWD or a front wheel drive sienna or honda odyssey. Easy to transport enormous loads with back row of seats folded down and can tow up to 3500lbs with a trailer when you need more than that (should be quite rare). This would be more practical for your needs than an SUV by far. Pickups have advantage of having the open bed and higher towing capacity. Open bed is good for gross things though day to day it's not useful. Seems like you don't need the excessive towing capacity either. Minivan owners on various forums like to brag about putting 4x8' sheets of plywood into their minivan.
Topic Author
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

Living Free wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:54 pm Get a minivan - a toyota sienna with AWD or a front wheel drive sienna or honda odyssey. Easy to transport enormous loads with back row of seats folded down and can tow up to 3500lbs with a trailer when you need more than that (should be quite rare). This would be more practical for your needs than an SUV by far. Pickups have advantage of having the open bed and higher towing capacity. Open bed is good for gross things though day to day it's not useful. Seems like you don't need the excessive towing capacity either. Minivan owners on various forums like to brag about putting 4x8' sheets of plywood into their minivan.
Although I appreciate the recommendation, as a single, mid-20s male with no kids, not sure I am quite to the minivan stage in life.

I will admit, my BIL drives one and it has a ton of value for them. Other than not being great in snow, their minivan does everything!
alexander29

Post by alexander29 »

I just got a Tesla Model Y, a compact SUV, with a hitch. It can tow 1,500 lbs. Replaced a Toyota Highlander, into which I had poured $10,000 of gas, meaning I'll make some of the initial priciness back in gas savings. If you're looking for a cross between utility and sportiness, it's worth test-driving one. Mine came without problems and the electric torque is a gas, pun intended. Teslas are fun.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Small SUV's are tempting because they're flexible. They can do a lot of different things. But they don't do any of those things particularly well. Same with pickup trucks. They haul loads well, but don't do anything else very well at all.

What do you use the vehicle for 95% of the time? Commuting? Get an awesome commuter. Rent when you need it to do things that the commuter can't handle.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

rhanna wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:46 am AWD is nice until you get a nail in one of your tires side wall and have to replace more than 1 tire because the awd system doesn't like the difference in tire tread. I was lucky enough to only have to replace 1 additional tire but it still sucks when you have half the life left in the tread.

Our Buick Enclave would start to make noise at highway speed, even more so when going around a curve
Two options (I’ve done both)

Buy a used tire on eBay. They list tread depth in the auction. If you are still running OEM tire super common to find on eBay.

Have a new tire shaved down. Tire rack offers this service, as well as some local shops. I got a warranty replacement tire shaved down through a local shop.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

I bought a 6x12 v-nose enclosed single axle trailer with ramp door that has been worth every bit of the $3k I paid for it 4 years back. Moved everything in to our new house with it and then multiple building projects, mattresses, random furniture...etc. much easier to load and much more room in addition to not worrying about wind blowing stuff around or out..(once had a brand new French door set blow right out of the bed of a truck 10 min from the house after a 3 hour drive) I’m a pickup guy but rarely put stuff in the beds of them.
johnnyc321

Post by johnnyc321 »

Tundra or Tacoma

j🌺
I have a 2010 tundra 5.7. It's the same engine as the 2020 5.7. Tundras are famous for reliability but the mpg is brutal. The best I can average around town is 14 mpg. Rumor is Toyota is releasing a new Tundra for 2021 and it is supposed to have an Eco-Boost type 6-cylinder w/ turbo option. I have not seen anything official confirming this though.

EDIT: Looks like the new Tundra is not arriving until 2022.
Last edited by johnnyc321 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Mr.Chlorine wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:45 pm
Living Free wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:54 pm Get a minivan - a toyota sienna with AWD or a front wheel drive sienna or honda odyssey. Easy to transport enormous loads with back row of seats folded down and can tow up to 3500lbs with a trailer when you need more than that (should be quite rare). This would be more practical for your needs than an SUV by far. Pickups have advantage of having the open bed and higher towing capacity. Open bed is good for gross things though day to day it's not useful. Seems like you don't need the excessive towing capacity either. Minivan owners on various forums like to brag about putting 4x8' sheets of plywood into their minivan.
Although I appreciate the recommendation, as a single, mid-20s male with no kids, not sure I am quite to the minivan stage in life.

I will admit, my BIL drives one and it has a ton of value for them. Other than not being great in snow, their minivan does everything!
Dude, the image is what you make of it! Put in interior mood lighting. Heck, throw in a futon or an inverter and a full-sized sound system. Party van!!!

Drop the back two rows and its capacity is enormous. Moreover, family owners tend to pay a premium for reliability. Which is to say that a 10 yr old toyota w/ only 120K miles and AWD can probably be acquired for under 10K. Some of these 2nd-hand family vehicles are relatively low mileage and might even be under 80K miles. You'll still have pretty good reliability, massive utility, and hopefully it'll cost you under $1500/yr in depreciation and maintenance. Take a peek at cargurus.com
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

johnnyc321 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:15 pm
Tundra or Tacoma

j🌺
I have a 2010 tundra 5.7. It's the same engine as the 2020 5.7. Tundras are famous for reliability but the mpg is brutal. The best I can average around town is 14 mpg. Rumor is Toyota is releasing a new Tundra for 2021 and it is supposed to have an Eco-Boost type 6-cylinder w/ turbo option. I have not seen anything official confirming this though.

EDIT: Looks like the new Tundra is not arriving until 2022.
2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Litre. TRD 4WD.
I was getting an average 17.8 mpg on my 2012 when new.
Now at about 80,000 miles. MPG averages now are about 16.7
I think the heavier 4wd system and larger/ heavier Michelin K2 tires are bringing the mpg down.

Outstanding reliability.
Very powerful engine.

Forever truck guy.
j🌺
Topic Author
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

Thank you for all the replies! I plan on test driving a Tacoma, Ridgeline, 4Runner, Rav4, and maybe CRV or Ranger.

Will update the post if I make a decision.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Carguy85 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 pm I bought a 6x12 v-nose enclosed single axle trailer with ramp door that has been worth every bit of the $3k I paid for it 4 years back. Moved everything in to our new house with it and then multiple building projects, mattresses, random furniture...etc. much easier to load and much more room in addition to not worrying about wind blowing stuff around or out..(once had a brand new French door set blow right out of the bed of a truck 10 min from the house after a 3 hour drive) I’m a pickup guy but rarely put stuff in the beds of them.
I'm attracted to a trailer like that. I wouldn't use it that much. It would probably end up being used for storage. (A moveable/re-usable 6X12 storage building!) For me, the rational thing would be to rent as needed.
Does it leak? What model is it. What's the gross vehicle weight rating?
Last edited by hudson on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Silverado wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:55 am
I’d say frequency is the key here. I agree with Jack in general, and I’ve had a truck for all but four years of my life. Gas can runs would really be the most frequent thing. At some point I will be getting a different vehicle (current truck just turned 20) and am really battling which way to go. Leaning towards smaller SUV and a small trailer. I could see getting by with just a hitch tube rack also, but that would also be annoying to put on and off.
Gas can runs are a big part of my spending hacks. I buy gift cards at stop & shop grocery store when they run a promotion. For each $500 card, I get $1 off PER GALLON, 20 gallons max. I don't have a vehicle that holds 20 gallons, but I've got a bunch of 5 gallon cans and a trailer hitch rack. I bunji on 4 cans to either our Crosstrek or my Wrangler and there's the ability to get 20 gallons. My last 2 fills, this week cost me $9.60 ($1.50 off from stop & shop and 5 cents off from Shell). This is key in my comparison of my gas cars to Tesla, where my high electric bill combined with the 30 mpg of the crosstrek and overall average of $0.80 a gallon make my cost per mile way less than Tesla can achieve.

Anyways....having that trailer means I've got the hitches on 2 of my cars. I have a really long driveway so putting trash out means something motorized to move the barrels. If I'm going out, I'll hook the rack up and bring the barrels down.

I used to have an enclosed trailer, back when I owned a racecar. It was "on the lot", so much bigger than I needed. 18 foot Cargo Pro aluminum cargo trailer with a V nose. I did not find it to be as usable as my open snowmobile trailer. Too big and cumberson to bring brush or scrap metal. Great for storage and indeed, fully sealed and never leaked a drop. If you're the type of person who tends towards hoarding, don't get one. You'll fill it up and then have nothing to move the stuff you bought the trailer for. I only kept the racecar and spares in it ever. Even my tools went in the tow vehicle to keep the weight down in the trailer.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
hudson

Post by hudson »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:33 pm 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Litre. TRD 4WD.
I was getting an average 17.8 mpg on my 2012 when new.
Now at about 80,000 miles. MPG averages now are about 16.7
I think the heavier 4wd system and larger/ heavier Michelin K2 tires are bringing the mpg down.
I drive a 2013 non 4WD SR5 (Base Model)...75K miles... The info screen reads 16.2 MPG
I run Michelin LTX tires.
I couldn't find a reference to Michelin K2s
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Ford ecoboost owners are reporting 22mpg. And with the max payload package they can haul and pull a lot. That’s what I would buy if I needed a 1/2 ton.

I have a 3/4 ton pickup and I rent a trailer if I’m moving a lot of stuff. Just so much easier to load and unload. Costs me $20 and saves my body.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Lincoln Aviator
Ford Explorer
Chevy Blazer
Big 3 full size or mid size pickups depending on preference
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Maybe to each HOA their own: your HOA may ban your pickup (or any kind of pickup - and no, putting a cap on it to make it look like an SUV won't work.)
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

corn18 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:41 am Ford ecoboost owners are reporting 22mpg. And with the max payload package they can haul and pull a lot. That’s what I would buy if I needed a 1/2 ton.

I have a 3/4 ton pickup and I rent a trailer if I’m moving a lot of stuff. Just so much easier to load and unload. Costs me $20 and saves my body.
The max payload package on an F150 is really only "max" on a regular/single cab. You lose a huge amount of capacity by just going to an extended cab.

The problem with 3/4 tons (and to a lesser but growing extent 1/2 tons) is that the ride/bed height is so high now that you need supplemental oxygen to reach the cab or bed.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I drive a Canyon and it's been great for my needs. If I was open to an SUV and considering new I would wait to take a look at the new Bronco that is set to be unveiled in a week or so :beer
hudson

Post by hudson »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:13 am The problem with 3/4 tons (and to a lesser but growing extent 1/2 tons) is that the ride/bed height is so high now that you need supplemental oxygen to reach the cab or bed.
I have no problem getting in a truck; it's Toyota Corollas that are hard to get in.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Ridgeline
:thumbsup
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
corn18

Post by corn18 »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:13 am
corn18 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:41 am Ford ecoboost owners are reporting 22mpg. And with the max payload package they can haul and pull a lot. That’s what I would buy if I needed a 1/2 ton.

The max payload package on an F150 is really only "max" on a regular/single cab. You lose a huge amount of capacity by just going to an extended cab.

The problem with 3/4 tons (and to a lesser but growing extent 1/2 tons) is that the ride/bed height is so high now that you need supplemental oxygen to reach the cab or bed.
The F-150 3.5L Ecoboost crew cab 4x4 Lariat with the heavy duty payload package has a cargo capacity just shy of 2,000 lbs. That's per a weight chit at the CAT scale. Regular ones run about 1,500-1,700 lbs cargo capacity.

I bought one of these:

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

OP: what is your average use?

For example (my full size truck)
Setup: solid trifold bed cover.
Criteria: bed must fit a sheet of plywood layer flat. Cab must have a backseat for cluttering. Must be able to tow my trailer with my tractor on it. Must be 4wd for off road and mud n snow.
Last week trips: 26 foot ladder, plywood/osb, electric conduit.
Week before: 12 five gallon jugs of diesel fuel, 8 5 gallon jugs of gas. 8 used wooden pallets to recycling.
Last month: full size Quad ATV, load of cardboard to recycling.
Etc.

I also have a trailer for other things.

So, consider what the vehicle will be used for.
Then buy accordingly.

j🌺
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

corn18 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:22 pm
tibbitts wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:13 am

The F-150 3.5L Ecoboost crew cab 4x4 Lariat with the heavy duty payload package has a cargo capacity just shy of 2,000 lbs. That's per a weight chit at the CAT scale. Regular ones run about 1,500-1,700 lbs cargo capacity.

I bought one of these:

But the regular cab has a payload capacity in excess of 3000 lbs. 2,000 is close to the typical maximum for a half-ton from other manufactures.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

There is a good argument to be made for buying a pickup-for-life now that they have adaptive cruise and collision avoidance.
Buy it now, and you probably will have it until the government buys all fossil fuel cars in 2040.

FYI, occasionally you can find them at Hertz or Enterprise for low 30's, 1 yr old with 20k miles.
Enterprise has one in St Louis currently.
These are not the Plutonium :moneybag models, but have all the capability you need in a pick up.

Good luck
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

phxjcc wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:04 pm There is a good argument to be made for buying a pickup-for-life now that they have adaptive cruise and collision avoidance.
Buy it now, and you probably will have it until the government buys all fossil fuel cars in 2040.

FYI, occasionally you can find them at Hertz or Enterprise for low 30's, 1 yr old with 20k miles.
These are not the Plutonium :moneybag models, but have all the capability you need in a pick up.

Good luck
I was not aware that any "ordinary" trucks had adaptive cruise or collision avoidance. I thought it was reserved for the Plutonium models.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

2019/20 Toyota Tundra
Toyota Safety Sense™ Features
If a collision is imminent, Tundra can even automatically apply the brakes to avoid or reduce the severity of the impact. Also offered on every Tundra, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control automatically adjusts your speed to maintain a preset distance from slower-moving vehicles ahead.
j :happy
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:47 pm 2019/20 Toyota Tundra
Toyota Safety Sense™ Features
If a collision is imminent, Tundra can even automatically apply the brakes to avoid or reduce the severity of the impact. Also offered on every Tundra, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control automatically adjusts your speed to maintain a preset distance from slower-moving vehicles ahead.
j :happy
I didn't know that and I agree that seems to be beyond what most manufacturers offer. However parking, blind spot, and rear traffic alert (which ironically I would think would be simpler) appear to still standard only in the Plutonium versions.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:07 pm
phxjcc wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:04 pm There is a good argument to be made for buying a pickup-for-life now that they have adaptive cruise and collision avoidance.

Good luck
I was not aware that any "ordinary" trucks had adaptive cruise or collision avoidance. I thought it was reserved for the Plutonium models.
Chevy pickups have them now.