YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Ykcor

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by Ykcor »

It's crazy how decisions are made. We have YouTubeTV and hate the price gouging but will stick with it. My wife loves the Tennis Channel but our local Comcast(our current ISP) won't and refuses to carry it. We could save money by going to AT&T bundle but their internet is too slow for my home office and I refuse to have a satellite dish on my house. So we are going to suck it up and stay. I did renegotiate my Comcast contract and saved more than the increase. also have my own modem.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

CycloRista wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:48 am My home is a subscription free zone (other than paying for basic internet service and cableTV).
That is good. I am "debt free" except for my mortgage and one car loan. :mrgreen: :D

Hard to be "subscription" free as electricity, gas, water, garbage, sewer are subscriptions.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Ykcor wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:38 am It's crazy how decisions are made. We have YouTubeTV and hate the price gouging but will stick with it. My wife loves the Tennis Channel but our local Comcast(our current ISP) won't and refuses to carry it. We could save money by going to AT&T bundle but their internet is too slow for my home office and I refuse to have a satellite dish on my house. So we are going to suck it up and stay. I did renegotiate my Comcast contract and saved more than the increase. also have my own modem.
The Tennis Channel was the primary reason I had Youtube TV. But at $15 more a month I cancelled. Not like there's much tennis to be had now or in the near future. There's some workarounds, e.g. for the Australian Open, you can set your VPN server to Australia and watch on a local Sydney station where they show it free. Likewise for Wimbledon.
Topic Author
pcsrini

Post by pcsrini »

https://www.theverge.com/21310442/tv-st ... television

It does seems like cable and streaming live TV options will continue to become more expensive over time, as they have little to no leverage in pricing with the content providers. Prices and the bundling with low viewership channels are controlled by content providers ViacomCBS, Disney, WarnerMedia, NBCUniversal, Fox Corporation, and Discovery. Bundling where the cable provider discounts the cost of the internet service seems to be the only option for a lower combined overall price for live TV and internet.

Netflix and Amazon Prime have successfully created their own content which allows them to keep their prices significantly lower.
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

Yikes! May be time to put the satellite dish back up!
Stay invested my friends.
batpot

Post by batpot »

pcsrini wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:23 am https://www.theverge.com/21310442/tv-st ... television

It does seems like cable and streaming live TV options will continue to become more expensive over time, as they have little to no leverage in pricing with the content providers. Prices and the bundling with low viewership channels are controlled by content providers ViacomCBS, Disney, WarnerMedia, NBCUniversal, Fox Corporation, and Discovery. Bundling where the cable provider discounts the cost of the internet service seems to be the only option for a lower combined overall price for live TV and internet.

Netflix and Amazon Prime have successfully created their own content which allows them to keep their prices significantly lower.
yup.
Surprised more companies haven't started offering ala carte.

Nowadays, I just wait for shows to hit Hulu; $6/mo.
Also have ad-free Youtube via Google Play Family subscription (better than spotify :sharebeer ), and have found that Youtube has some GREAT content from channels like Kurzgesagt.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:41 am
CycloRista wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:48 am My home is a subscription free zone (other than paying for basic internet service and cableTV).
That is good. I am "debt free" except for my mortgage and one car loan. :mrgreen: :D

Hard to be "subscription" free as electricity, gas, water, garbage, sewer are subscriptions.
I'm also "debt free" except for my mortgage, electricity, gas, water, garbage, sewer..... and property taxes
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

pcsrini wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:02 pm Google has raised the price of Youtube TV by 30% to $64.99/month. Late last year it was increased by 25% from $39.99 to $49.99. It's a good service, but the constant price increases make it less appealing.
What's really objectionable about this is the huge percentage increase right in the middle of a global pandemic and massive economic/unemployment crisis. Seems incredibly tone deaf to me for a company like Google, with annual revenues of $162 billion, to gouge consumers right now for such a marginal increase in their channel lineup. I had been considering YTTV as the best option for when I finally drop cable, but with this development, I'll be looking much more favorably at Sling, Hulu, AT&T, and others first.
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:18 pm
pcsrini wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:02 pm Google has raised the price of Youtube TV by 30% to $64.99/month. Late last year it was increased by 25% from $39.99 to $49.99. It's a good service, but the constant price increases make it less appealing.
What's really objectionable about this is the huge percentage increase right in the middle of a global pandemic and massive economic/unemployment crisis. Seems incredibly tone deaf to me for a company like Google, with annual revenues of $162 billion, to gouge consumers right now for such a marginal increase in their channel lineup. I had been considering YTTV as the best option for when I finally drop cable, but with this development, I'll be looking much more favorably at Sling, Hulu, AT&T, and others first.
Yes, this crossed my mind too. The timing sure isn't the greatest.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:18 pm What's really objectionable about this is the huge percentage increase right in the middle of a global pandemic and massive economic/unemployment crisis. Seems incredibly tone deaf to me for a company like Google, with annual revenues of $162 billion, to gouge consumers right now for such a marginal increase in their channel lineup. I had been considering YTTV as the best option for when I finally drop cable, but with this development, I'll be looking much more favorably at Sling, Hulu, AT&T, and others first.
I know Sony had regret with PlayStation Vue. I'm curious if Google has been "in this market" now and realizes it isn't worth the work/effort?

Especially for a giant like Google where this revenue is like a gnat buzzing in their ear.
the way

Post by the way »

If you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, maybe you can prepay for a year and effectively get a 15% discount right now.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

yolli71 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:18 pm
Yes, this crossed my mind too. The timing sure isn't the greatest.
Google/Alphabet gave up on the “don’t be evil” manta long before their deleted it from their code of conduct.

https://gizmodo.com/google-removes-near ... 1826153393

The cynic in me thinks that Google is raising the price because they can’t quite figure out yet how to spy enough on their subscribers to generate even more revenue.
PVW

Post by PVW »

I don't want any of the new channels they added at the same time they announced the price increase. If they can add in some atrocious customer service, they'll be getting pretty close to a regular cable service.

My guess is that when too many customers start to complain and leave because of the price increase, they'll start to offer a bargain rate in exchange for signing a 2 year contract.
CycloRista

Post by CycloRista »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:41 am

That's a great accomplishment!

Ok, ok... digital subscription free zone then :D

I owe on my home and that's it.
scoreboard

Post by scoreboard »

the way wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:10 pm If you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, maybe you can prepay for a year and effectively get a 15% discount right now.
Because of the 10x points on streaming services? Just making sure I am not missing something.
Toons

Post by Toons »

There is more than enough for me to watch on
Youtube Premium
9.99 a month
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
rob65

Post by rob65 »

daheld wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:55 am
lazydavid wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 am
daheld wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 am We dropped DirecTV a few months ago because we just didn't watch. I was planning to get YouTube TV in the fall for college basketball and football. I will now be getting either Sling or Hulu. Internet costs us $60/month. I am not willing to pay more than about $100/month for internet and TV.
If your primary purpose for a streaming service is sports, check out FuboTV. It has more sports networks than all the other services combined.
Most of what I watch is on the ESPN family of networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ACC Network). Do you know if Fubo is a provider that gets you access to the ESPN app? That's mainly what I need.
Haven’t read the whole thread, so sorry if this is a duplicate, but Sling Orange with the Sports Extra pack for $40 per month might be an option.
tony_roach

Post by tony_roach »

ChiKid24 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:25 pm Having worked in the pay tv industry, I can tell you it was only a matter of time before the TV like streaming services had to increase prices. The cost they pay for the content they provide is just too high to continue offering subscriptions at $30-$40, unless the package of content is limited (like Sling).
This is the truth...most streaming services are priced at a loss to gain subscribers and then try to break even. The cable companies don't drive the video price increases...that is driven strictly by the broadcast companies/stations. Just like cable the prices will have to increase with streamers or they will fold (it's unsustainable).
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

Ykcor wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:38 am My wife loves the Tennis Channel but our local Comcast(our current ISP) won't and refuses to carry it.
Ha, same here as I'm an avid tennis player and fan. Does YTTV offer the multiple court coverage for the grand slams like DirecTV? That's one of the big reasons I'm still with DTV.

Also, my other big gripe with YTTV is that they only offer stereo audio (i.e. no Dolby Digital). This isn't a big deal for people who are just using TV speakers or a soundbar. However, if you have a decent home theater setup (3.1 or better) then you miss out audio wise with YTTV.
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

gpburdell wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:08 pm
Ykcor wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:38 am My wife loves the Tennis Channel but our local Comcast(our current ISP) won't and refuses to carry it.
Ha, same here as I'm an avid tennis player and fan. Does YTTV offer the multiple court coverage for the grand slams like DirecTV? That's one of the big reasons I'm still with DTV.

Also, my other big gripe with YTTV is that they only offer stereo audio (i.e. no Dolby Digital). This isn't a big deal for people who are just using TV speakers or a soundbar. However, if you have a decent home theater setup (3.1 or better) then you miss out audio wise with YTTV.
Usually when the slams were on, we would subscribe to espn+ which caries all of the side Court matches, then cancel after the two weeks. Worth the $4.95. Oftentimes first month free.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

gpburdell wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:08 pm

gpburdell, I would think you could be more much more than just an avid tennis player. Are you still on the Mad Magazine's board of directors?
lessismore22

Post by lessismore22 »

This thread reminds me of a quote I heard from Grant Cardone(although I'm not a huge fan). 'People need to get out of 'save a nickel mode' and get into 'earn a fu$%ing buck mode!' For most of us on this forum it is far easier to earn an extra $10,000 than it is to cut $10,000 of expenses.
rolandtorres

Post by rolandtorres »

This service is for people who watch sports and/or who refuse to pay their cable/sat/telco provider for whatever reason. If that's not you, you can certainly get a better deal elsewhere, although it will not be as slick to use.

Amazon is coming next to live TV- as a Prime member, I'm already annoyed my Prime membership fees were increased to fund Prime video content when I only wanted fast shipping (and they still don't offer that original shipping-only plan standalone)- if fees go up again to subsidize live TV channels, I will definitely quit Prime.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/23/2130 ... -linear-tv
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

scoreboard wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:23 pm
the way wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:10 pm If you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, maybe you can prepay for a year and effectively get a 15% discount right now.
Because of the 10x points on streaming services? Just making sure I am not missing something.
How do you prepay on YTTV?
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Ykcor wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:38 am It's crazy how decisions are made. We have YouTubeTV and hate the price gouging but will stick with it. My wife loves the Tennis Channel but our local Comcast(our current ISP) won't and refuses to carry it. We could save money by going to AT&T bundle but their internet is too slow for my home office and I refuse to have a satellite dish on my house. So we are going to suck it up and stay. I did renegotiate my Comcast contract and saved more than the increase. also have my own modem.
Have Comcast and was thinking of YouTube until now. I should get my own modem.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
scoreboard

Post by scoreboard »

Kennedy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:56 am
I was trying to figure out how I can charge $1,500 on youtubetv last night to get 15,000 points. I don't see how it is possible with qualifying for the points. I can obviously buy $1500 worth of google play gift cards on raise, etc... but that won't give me the points. Let me know if anyone figures this out.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

The price increase sucks, but it's still much better than paying for cable and boxes, DVRs, etc. I don't have much problem keeping YTTV because I Iike their channel lineup and their interface. $15 a month is not going to break us and it's just an entertainment expense. We also pay for HBO, Netflix and Prime. Depends on where you want to spend your $. I also spend about $500/month on golf. I don't mind spending $ on things I enjoy.
wander

Post by wander »

I think watching TV is a waste of time (my TV channels are free, BTW). Nothing can get done. But, it is just me.
the way

Post by the way »

scoreboard wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:52 am
Kennedy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:56 am
I was trying to figure out how I can charge $1,500 on youtubetv last night to get 15,000 points. I don't see how it is possible with qualifying for the points. I can obviously buy $1500 worth of google play gift cards on raise, etc... but that won't give me the points. Let me know if anyone figures this out.
yep, sorry, somehow I thought it might work. Guess it's only good for 3 months then.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

To anyone that has used Sling how does it compare to YTTV? Thinking of switching. Use YTTV mostly for cable news channels. Can you FF through commercials with the Sling DVR? I looked at the Sling bundles and I'm good with Blue+News extra which comes to $35/mo.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

lessismore22 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:21 pm This thread reminds me of a quote I heard from Grant Cardone(although I'm not a huge fan). 'People need to get out of 'save a nickel mode' and get into 'earn a fu$%ing buck mode!' For most of us on this forum it is far easier to earn an extra $10,000 than it is to cut $10,000 of expenses.
You can do both:)
tj

Post by tj »

Is it really a surprise to anyone that this is happening? These were loss leaders at the beginning.

Lots of people have cancelled cable, and not all of them are replacing it with Streaming live TV. The content providers naturally spread their cost over a smaller amount of people.

The nice part about the streamers is that it's a lot more convenient to cancel when your desired programming is out of season.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

rob65 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:17 pm
daheld wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 am We dropped DirecTV a few months ago because we just didn't watch. I was planning to get YouTube TV in the fall for college basketball and football. I will now be getting either Sling or Hulu. Internet costs us $60/month. I am not willing to pay more than about $100/month for internet and TV.
If your primary purpose for a streaming service is sports, check out FuboTV. It has more sports networks than all the other services combined.
Most of what I watch is on the ESPN family of networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ACC Network). Do you know if Fubo is a provider that gets you access to the ESPN app? That's mainly what I need.
Haven’t read the whole thread, so sorry if this is a duplicate, but Sling Orange with the Sports Extra pack for $40 per month might be an option.
"In an FAQ, FuboTV says, “Over the last year, we added dozens of local, national and international channels to FuboTV. Including local CBS, Fox and NBC affiliates, GetTV, NBC LX, Tastemade, TUDNXtra and more.
Coming this August you’ll get even more with the addition of Disney and ESPN channels like FX, Disney, Disney Jr, ESPN and more.”
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

lessismore22 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:21 pm This thread reminds me of a quote I heard from Grant Cardone(although I'm not a huge fan). 'People need to get out of 'save a nickel mode' and get into 'earn a fu$%ing buck mode!' For most of us on this forum it is far easier to earn an extra $10,000 than it is to cut $10,000 of expenses.
I’ve already earned enough over last year to make the $15 increase insignificant. The problem now is I don't think there’s $65/month of value to me in YTTV.
tj

Post by tj »

New Providence wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:19 pm
rob65 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:17 pm
"In an FAQ, FuboTV says, “Over the last year, we added dozens of local, national and international channels to FuboTV. Including local CBS, Fox and NBC affiliates, GetTV, NBC LX, Tastemade, TUDNXtra and more.
Coming this August you’ll get even more with the addition of Disney and ESPN channels like FX, Disney, Disney Jr, ESPN and more.”
FuboTV announced a price increase the next day. And They dropped the Turner channels.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

I think that, while you are correct in implying there is a point of vastly diminishing returns in cutting expenses, most people on here consider $780/year a cost worth at least poking at and not just blinking and swallowing. I don’t worry about $2, $5 here and there anymore but paying more for something you don’t value as much as its cost is hardly ever a good move.
lws

Post by lws »

Netflix, OTA, and my books. Enough is enough.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

I wondered at $50 if it was worth the money and stopped using it. At $65 its just too costly. I wonder if I am the exception.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I canceled. More for a statement. I didn’t pause our subscription.

With no live sports and all reruns the move was poorly timed during Covid.

It is a tiny message. Trying Philo for 7 days.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I might switch to Hulu with Live TV. On first glance, the channel lineup is pretty similar. I also subscribe to Philo, which I signed up for originally because Youtube TV didn't carry either History or Discover.y Youtube TV subsequently added Discovery but not History, so I now have Philo pretty much just for History. Hulu with Live TV has History (which would let me cancel Philo) and otherwise seems to be about the same as Youtube TV for all the other channels I care about, so I'll probably be switching.

I'm sure Hulu will be raising their prices soon, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
gvsucavie03

Re: Streaming TV (YouTube TV raising rates AGAIN)

Post by gvsucavie03 »

Inframan4712 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:40 am
gvsucavie03 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 pm
runner3081 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 pm Ouch.

Why not go with an antenna? We receive about 50 channels, including all locals for $0 per month.

You can add a DVR to live tv as well, if desired.
Rural area, antenna would only get a few channels on a good day.
Are you SURE? Go here:

https://www.antennaweb.org

Plug in your zip code. On the next page, you get a list of channels you can receive. Further down that page is a map, showing where the towers are (thus where to point the antenna), and most importantly what kind of antenna you need to get those channels.

Alternatively, download Antenna Point app. It sometimes gives slightly different results.

We have a ROKU television with OTA tuner and OTA channels via antenna are pretty well integrated. My wife and I don't miss cable at all. Except for ESPN for sports. And there aren't any sports right now.

My good friend likes Sling.
Even with a 30' antenna, we'd only get 4 channels (two from the same PBS station). The others are Fox and a weak CBS signal...
moshe

Post by moshe »

wander wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:09 am I think watching TV is a waste of time (my TV channels are free, BTW). Nothing can get done. But, it is just me.
+1

Just canceled our Comcast TV and moved my home phone to Vonage ($15/mo + taxes = ~$25/mo) so left with just internet @ ~$100/mo (includes a speed increase)

Bought a HD OTA antenna (~$40 one time purchase) and Comcast Flex (free for 1st streamer/remote and service) which includes a bunch of streamed TV channels, Peacock, Chedder, Newsy, Bloomberg, etc. combined that with Youtube Premium(tons of great media and music) and Hoopla ("free" service available via our library) means more content then we could ever want to consume.

We tend to watch news, and stream shows/music on Youtube plus the occasional purchased content. Maybe when baseball comes back next year... We will sign up for some subscription TV service but I don't see the value add... Was considering YTTV as it includes NESN in my market but with the price increase... no thanks.

No kids in the house... so who needs it? I'd rather read or listen to music anyway.

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams
Topic Author
pcsrini

Post by pcsrini »

An interesting competitive analysis:

Instead of $65/month for Youtube TV you can subscribe to:
Netflix for $9 to $16 per month.
Disney+ for $7 per month.
Hulu for $6 to $12 per month.
Amazon Prime Video for $9 per month.
HBO Max for $15 per month.
Apple TV+ for $5 per month.

At the low end, total cost for all streaming services is $51 and at the high end its $64. Still don't understand why live TV is so uncompetitive compared to these newer on demand streaming services. Live Sports ?
Source:
ProBeat: RIP YouTube TV, you’ll make a great case study: https://venturebeat.com/2020/07/03/prob ... -pandemic/
vasaver

Post by vasaver »

pcsrini wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:26 am An interesting competitive analysis:

Instead of $65/month for Youtube TV you can subscribe to:
Netflix for $9 to $16 per month.
Disney+ for $7 per month.
Hulu for $6 to $12 per month.
Amazon Prime Video for $9 per month.
HBO Max for $15 per month.
Apple TV+ for $5 per month.

At the low end, total cost for all streaming services is $51 and at the high end its $64. Still don't understand why live TV is so uncompetitive compared to these newer on demand streaming services. Live Sports ?
Source:
ProBeat: RIP YouTube TV, you’ll make a great case study: https://venturebeat.com/2020/07/03/prob ... -pandemic/
I think you underestimate how many people want to to watch MSNBC, Fox News, HGTV, TLC type shows and Sports from a single service.

They provide a happy meal - but the dollar menu might be cheaper.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

So, is YoutubeTV's claim to fame (and claim to high prices) live TV? For me that's a "no thanks."

It's been years since I watched live TV so I can't imagine paying $65/month to bring it back. OK, I am not a sports lover and have never been so maybe I am not the target audience. Watching big corporations battle it out with high-priced gladiators never made sense to me. It's like cheering for GlaxoSmithKline over Pfizer. I felt this way long before all this protest nonsense.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Bryzzo2016

Post by Bryzzo2016 »

YouTube TV = sports fan dream!

But, since the [(removed) --admin LadyGeek] has shutdown sports, count me among those who cancelled. I can upgrade my OTA antenna setup nicely for $64.99/mo saved to keep the major networks and PBS.
vasaver

Post by vasaver »

bertilak wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:54 am So, is YoutubeTV's claim to fame (and claim to high prices) live TV? For me that's a "no thanks."

It's been years since I watched live TV so I can't imagine paying $65/month to bring it back. OK, I am not a sports lover and have never been so maybe I am not the target audience. Watching big corporations battle it out with high-priced gladiators never made sense to me. It's like cheering for GlaxoSmithKline over Pfizer. I felt this way long before all this protest nonsense.
How many people spend $200-$300 per month for DirecTV satellite? Oh and they also have cable service at a cabin or beach home? For many people $65/month is a huge savings.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

The only reason anybody wants a live TV service is news and/or sports. All the other channels add little or no value because most (95%+?) of the shows on those channels can be had on Hulu or Netflix for less than $10 per month.

I know little about the complexities and competitiveness in this market, but why can't a service come to market that offers live sports and news channels only? Even at $45-50 a month, I think people would buy it. We would gladly pay $51-56 for live sports, news ($45-50 this service), and an enormous library of TV shows (Hulu at $6).

I can only assume that it would have to cost $60+ and that these services like YouTubeTV and others were losing money early on.

In other words, big surprise, there's no free lunch and cable really isn't as "over priced" as people thought it is.

If you watch sports or cable news, you have to pay. They're expensive.

If you don't, get Hulu for $6 or $12 a month and enjoy your enormous library of shows. My wife would be happy as can be with Hulu alone.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:17 pm The only reason anybody wants a live TV service is news and/or sports. All the other channels add little or no value because most (95%+?) of the shows on those channels can be had on Hulu or Netflix for less than $10 per month.

I know little about the complexities and competitiveness in this market, but why can't a service come to market that offers live sports and news channels only? Even at $45-50 a month, I think people would buy it. We would gladly pay $51-56 for live sports, news ($45-50 this service), and an enormous library of TV shows (Hulu at $6).

I can only assume that it would have to cost $60+ and that these services like YouTubeTV and others were losing money early on.

In other words, big surprise, there's no free lunch and cable really isn't as "over priced" as people thought it is.

If you don't, get Hulu for $6 or $12 a month and enjoy your enormous library of shows. My wife would be happy as can be with Hulu alone.
If the content owners (Comcast, AT&T, Disney, etc.) can get $x for a channel or content from cable subscribers I don't see why they would be willing to give the same thing to Google (or another streamer) for much less.

As others said, if you can avoid set top boxes, DVR fees and some of the very high taxes (at least here), you can still come out ahead. I had a ridiculous amount of channels with Directv including dozens in languages I didn't speak. I watch no sports and little other content other than news so I will be trying Sling. I'm even considering just regular YouTube and maybe paying not to have to watch commercials. If I am not happy with Sling I may pay the $65 for YTTV as $300/year or whatever the difference is isn't worth being aggravated over. I'm more concerned if the pace/frequency of these increases keep up.

I didn't see this mentioned (but I didn't read every post), but doesn't me paying for and using YTTV give Google valuable marketing data? I mean, they have so many products for free to get your data and surely they are using my viewing habits to make their ad placement prices higher.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:17 pm

Cable is outrageously overpriced, when your cable company adds $30+ to the base rate for “broadcast tv surcharges” and “sports surcharges” and so on.

And if all you care about is, say, one news channel and few sports channels, paying $X for a whole bunch of other channels you never watch is crazy.

I’m coming around though to just watching whatever sports are available on the main networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, mostly). For a casual football fan, that should provide enough, and especially if your team has a national or large regional presence. At least as of last year, most of ESPN’s big college games were on ABC anyway.

So buy an over the air antenna and maybe that is all you need for the sports fix?