YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
pcsrini

YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by pcsrini »

Google has raised the price of Youtube TV by 30% to $64.99/month. Late last year it was increased by 25% from $39.99 to $49.99. It's a good service, but the constant price increases make it less appealing.
dukeblue219

Re: YoutubeTV subscription now $64.99/month

Post by dukeblue219 »

At this point it's a good cable alternative if you want to stream on devices, or have lots of tvs, but if you're trying to "cut the cord" with 1 or 2 TVs there's no way it will save money.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Sling is $30 (increased a few months ago from $25 for the Blue package I have, although they added DVR and a few channels for that price).
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Is this for everyone or only new subscribers? I haven’t received any notification yet.
Topic Author
pcsrini

Post by pcsrini »

For new subscribers, the price hike is effective tomorrow. For existing subscribers it’s your next billing date on or after July 30th. I expect Google to notify subscribers shortly.
Last edited by pcsrini on Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

I was going to subscribe to YouTubeTV, primarily to get football in the fall, but I’ve discovered that I don’t miss the lack of sports or live tv, and that price is just too much.

Basic internet is around $50 a month, and add $65 to that for YouTube? I think I’ll pass. Might be better off just getting a newspaper subscription.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Wow. That is my worst streaming TV nightmare.

I think that may price it out of reasonable for us. $50 was marginally acceptable.

I guess streaming will go the way of cable. Endless price increases. Sad.

Not great timing because there is nothing on to watch right now. No new shows. Very few live sports. They should have timed it with MLB or NFL coming back on. I'm out. We need to watch less TV anyway.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Yea, this really sucks. $50 seems to be my limit of what I’m willing to spend. $65 just seems to be an awful lot for something I don’t use *that* often.

I’ll talk to the Mrs. to see if she wants to keep, dump, or try Sling which is still $25-$45 depending on package. No local TV channels though and my house isn’t situated where it gets good OTA signal.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

This comes at such a good time. I was notified that I had just paid my $50 and was thinking about canceling. I use Netflix, Amazon, Britbox, Acorn, Sundance, and some others, but don’t recall watching Youtubetv in the past month.

Thank you. Will cancel. It’s okay but not worth it, and I’m usually pretty price insensitive.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

Just maybe they have discovered the "pain threshold" here. Stay tuned for the price reduction.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:05 pm At this point it's a good cable alternative if you want to stream on devices, or have lots of tvs, but if you're trying to "cut the cord" with 1 or 2 TVs there's no way it will save money.
I think it is still cheaper than the same TV channel package and DVR from my cable company but the gap keep shrinking as youtube keeps adding channels I will never watch. I sort of wish they would start making these new channels optional.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I've been thinking that we are in the golden age of streaming and it will end soon. I have my doubts whether $65 is worth it. I watch mostly Netflix and Amazon (and subscribe to various channels at times like Acorn, BritBox, etc.).

The built in DVR function is nice but far from what Tivo provides. I've yet to figure out how to resume a show that I left. Unlike a tivo if you have a series recorded, you have no idea, except from memory, what episodes you have already watched.

And it seems like more shows are coming with built in ads you cannot skip.

It is nice at $40 or $50 but $65 is probably what I can get from my cable provider (which I only use for internet now) although I doubt I will go that route.

I might end up canceling it and see how life goes :)
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

Yikes. It may be time to look into going back to cable. I love the service, but it has gone from something like $39.99 when I started subscribing to $64.99.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (Youtube subscription).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
SquirrelEater

Post by SquirrelEater »

$64.99 too much - Not exactly wholesome television.

Personally I ditched TV years ago. Maybe a decade at this point. Life is better without it. Once you have been absent from it you’ll be disgusted with it.

$779.88/year.
$7,798.80/decade.
Last edited by SquirrelEater on Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Thank goodness we dumped all these type of live services long ago and only use Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. They more and more approach the cost of cable tv, if not already there or surpassed it when you consider most cable services are always offering special deals.
emoore

Post by emoore »

I just switched from YouTube TV to Hulu Live TV since we already had Hulu. Hulu Live TV is $55 and has almost the identical channels that YouTube TV has. Plus you can get a discount if you bundle with Disney + and ESPN +.
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

That sucks. This is just enough increase for me to cancel.
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

One of the main reasons people hang onto cable or get a streaming service like YouTube TV (as opposed to just Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc) is because of live sports. Now there’s limited/no live sports but they jack up the price. Doesn’t seem wise.

$65 is going to be the breaking point for many. I know it is for me. I’ve signed up the past 2 years for football season when it was $40 and then $50. Was already planning on probably not doing it this year for various reasons, but not a chance I’m doing it for $65.

I’ve also numerous times mentioned to people who are still with cable that I‘ve loved my experience with YouTube TV and would absolutely recommend they switch. But at $65 no way am I telling someone “hey you should cut cable that you’ve been happy with for decades and switch to this other service that you’re unfamiliar with for $65/month”. No way.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Since this is ViacomCBS's doing, I'll probably cancel CBSAllAccess and Showtime to recoup the costs. :)
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

Having worked in the pay tv industry, I can tell you it was only a matter of time before the TV like streaming services had to increase prices. The cost they pay for the content they provide is just too high to continue offering subscriptions at $30-$40, unless the package of content is limited (like Sling).
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

ChiKid24 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:25 pm Having worked in the pay tv industry, I can tell you it was only a matter of time before the TV like streaming services had to increase prices. The cost they pay for the content they provide is just too high to continue offering subscriptions at $30-$40, unless the package of content is limited (like Sling).
At some point, and maybe that point has arrived, it will make more sense to just go back to cable rather than using these streaming services. I only use them for live sport, which of course is nonexistent right now. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy canceling outright. I am going to check on cable bundles tonight and weigh their cost versus keeping Youtube TV.

It appears they are adding CBS/Viacom channels, which are all irrelevant to me. I wish we could simply choose them as an option.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:17 pm Since this is ViacomCBS's doing, I'll probably cancel CBSAllAccess and Showtime to recoup the costs. :)
Speaking of CBS All Access, they seem to have free month coupon codes nearly every month or so that even work for existing subscribers. I seem to rarely pay for this service (and would likely cancel soon now that I have watched Picard and Discovery).
life in slices

Post by life in slices »

I think that is probably the breaking point for me. We don't watch a ton on youtube TV anyways, mostly just holding in anticipation to watch baseball and hockey (on cable only NESN in the Boston area). But their won't be much of it this year anyways.

Can still catch football and local channels (not sports) via the HD antenna in the attic I guess.

Any other alternatives? Will check into Sling.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

I use Sling for $30/month and it works well and has all the channels that I'd want.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

If you pay $65+/month for streaming and another $65/month for internet, you might consider going back to cable at those rates.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I had been considering cutting the cord and signing up for YouTube TV but the new price increase makes it pointless. We have 100 mbps Internet (unlimited data) for $10/month as long as we subscribe to cable TV. We have a cable TV package that provides hundreds of channels for $110/month, including all taxes and fees. So the total bill comes to $120 for cable + Internet. We sometimes subscribe to HBO, which is discounted at $10/month through the cable company instead of $15/month if we were to stream. Cutting the cord would result in far fewer channels and possibly a slower Internet speed for the same cost. With YouTube TV increasing their cost so much over the past couple of years, I wouldn't be surprised to see people signing up for cable again. Sometimes they offer good promos for the first year or two.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Forum rules prohibit me from using the words I am thinking right now. New channels have no value to my household. I will be checking around.
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

atdharris wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:31 pm
ChiKid24 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:25 pm Having worked in the pay tv industry, I can tell you it was only a matter of time before the TV like streaming services had to increase prices. The cost they pay for the content they provide is just too high to continue offering subscriptions at $30-$40, unless the package of content is limited (like Sling).
At some point, and maybe that point has arrived, it will make more sense to just go back to cable rather than using these streaming services. I only use them for live sport, which of course is nonexistent right now. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy canceling outright. I am going to check on cable bundles tonight and weigh their cost versus keeping Youtube TV.

It appears they are adding CBS/Viacom channels, which are all irrelevant to me. I wish we could simply choose them as an option.
The advantage streaming has over cable is there typically isn't any upfront costs to the provider (no boxes, wiring, installation). Cable (or Satellite) has those costs, so their margin on programming needs to cover the cost of the content they are providing PLUS all those up front costs they invest in you. Hence the reason you typically have to enter into a 2-year contract with cable since they are out money on day 1. The cable tactic to get the subscriber is low intro pricing for year one (so they can compete with other cable offers and streaming services), with a price increase in the second year of your 2-year contract so they can cover that upfront fixed cost and their programming margin.
as9

Post by as9 »

Surprise, surprise -- the traditional cable bundle has been a fine deal for someone who watches sports or has use for lots of channels.
Topic Author
pcsrini

Post by pcsrini »

For live sports, the delay and latency with streaming services even with a high speed connection is definitely noticeable due to the number of internet hops from the TV to the service aggregator, and then to the actual service itself. Cable providers are better for live sports.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Back to using my mother-in-law's Netflix, sister-in-law's Hulu, (and them using our Disney+ account) and save myself the $65 per month. I am pretty much disinterested in all sports at this point anyway after the last month or so, and I'll leave it at that. Maybe that'll change in the future, but for now I don't think I'll even miss it.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

Sucks! I just quit Comcast cable for this recently. Even with the price increase though, I will be saving ~$60/month as compared to Comcast Triple Play (much of that coming from not having to pay for set-top boxes and all sorts of fees associated with cable) and that is before the next inevitable fee increase from Comcast. I'll stick with YTTV through the next price gouge (er... increase).
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

pcsrini wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:48 pm For live sports, the delay and latency with streaming services even with a high speed connection is definitely noticeable due to the number of internet hops from the TV to the service aggregator, and then to the actual service itself. Cable providers are better for live sports.
If I understand your complaint correctly, there's only two reasons I can think of why this would be a problem:

1. You're watching the game on TV while you're physically at the stadium, and the video delay is messing with your head.
2. You must obsessively check twitter every three seconds 24 hours/day, and are worried about a play being spoiled that you won't see for another 6 seconds.

But then again, though I watch plenty of sports, there's just no allure to watching them literally live. I would much rather watch five football games on Sunday with no commercials, than two games with hours upon hours of commercials. I think I've had a game "spoiled" for me twice in the last 3 years. Not the end of the world.
Lucky2Invest

Post by Lucky2Invest »

You all know you can share this subscription with two family members or friends? So it’s really only $20 per month each person. Just can’t have more than 3 devices logged in at once
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Lucky2Invest wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:11 pm You all know you can share this subscription with two family members or friends? So it’s really only $20 per month each person. Just can’t have more than 3 devices logged in at once
If you're a fan of violating contracts (and the guidelines of this board), sure.
YouTube TV Terms of Service wrote:Family member requirements
To join a family group, you must:

Be age 13 or older and have a Google Account
Live in the same household as the family manager
Live in the same country/region as the family manager
Not be part of another family group

Location requirements
Location requirements work the same if you're sharing your YouTube TV membership with a family group. The family manager sets the home area, and all family members must primarily live in the same household.

All family group members need to periodically use YouTube TV in your home location to keep access. Otherwise, the family manager will either have to change the home location or you'll need to get an individual membership.

Note: If you're using YouTube TV while traveling, you'll get access to certain programs based on your location. Learn more about using YouTube TV while traveling.
Personally, I generally try to avoid committing most crimes, including theft of service.
spreadsheetguy

Post by spreadsheetguy »

We pay $30 for sling's blue package which gives us the channels we'd watch. We'll sometimes upgrade for a month or two to get additional channels like the sports package but mostly we just go with the basic and it seems like a decent compromise relative to an expensive cable subscription.
Topic Author
pcsrini

Post by pcsrini »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:10 pm
pcsrini wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:48 pm For live sports, the delay and latency with streaming services even with a high speed connection is definitely noticeable due to the number of internet hops from the TV to the service aggregator, and then to the actual service itself. Cable providers are better for live sports.
If I understand your complaint correctly, there's only two reasons I can think of why this would be a problem:

1. You're watching the game on TV while you're physically at the stadium, and the video delay is messing with your head.
2. You must obsessively check twitter every three seconds 24 hours/day, and are worried about a play being spoiled that you won't see for another 6 seconds.

But then again, though I watch plenty of sports, there's just no allure to watching them literally live. I would much rather watch five football games on Sunday with no commercials, than two games with hours upon hours of commercials. I think I've had a game "spoiled" for me twice in the last 3 years. Not the end of the world.
You are right - its on very few occasions that this is an issue. For some of the marquee playoff highly watched games that go down to the wire, and when we are watching with friend groups, the phone texts start going off immediately as plays happen live, and the play is still developing on Youtube Tv due to the latency.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Netflix is 12.99/ month

I currently have CBS. All access during the pandemic, but probably won't keep it. About $6/month with the commercials.

That and HD antenna gets me all I need.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:10 pm

And even TV isn’t truly up to the second live for sports. Try watching a game on TV muted with the radio call going on at the same time. You’ll find out you’re a good 5-10 seconds behind.
tiger81

Post by tiger81 »

Cancelled about a month ago with the intention of going back once sports resumed but now probably won’t. I just don’t see the value over cable with the rapidly escalating prices
aas

Post by aas »

That's really sucks, I just cancelled Verizon cable yesterday and signed up for you tube TV at savings of $40/month. My excitement did not last more than a day.
BillWalters

Post by BillWalters »

Annoying, but still much better value than a cable bundle and the absurd extra charges for equipment/DVR/etc.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

investor4life wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:59 pm Sucks! I just quit Comcast cable for this recently. Even with the price increase though, I will be saving ~$60/month as compared to Comcast Triple Play (much of that coming from not having to pay for set-top boxes and all sorts of fees associated with cable) and that is before the next inevitable fee increase from Comcast. I'll stick with YTTV through the next price gouge (er... increase).
I went back to Comcast last year. The difference for me between internet only and internet at double the speed with a full set of something like 200 channels is $30 including all fees. I do not use any Comcast equipment and am streaming all my content. I watch with the Xfinity Stream app on Roku for TV’s or on any phone or computer. Includes 20 hours on cloud DVR.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Google has raised the price of Youtube TV by 30% to $64.99/month.
:shock: oh h#ll no. Throw in taxes, prob $70-75 a month?
Topic Author
pcsrini

Post by pcsrini »

Google’s comparison of the options for live TV. It does not Include a comparison with bundles of internet and TV.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/
Cash

Post by Cash »

Guess the cable companies were right all along. You need certain channels to attract enough people to be viable. And those channels cost a lot of money and come with lots of useless channels because of the way the major networks operate. Sigh.
canderson

Post by canderson »

I pay DirecTV $40.43/month for the Premium Choice Plus (250 channels) + HBO.

If you’re looking around ...
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Past the point of logic. Might as well go back to cable/satellite; there is an ease of use factor that is worth something...
Spectrum is $80/mo + tax for 125 HD channels and 400 mbit Internet. Locked for two years. Will let you watch on devices. Easier to use. No brained.
Last edited by 8foot7 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

canderson wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:25 pm I pay DirecTV $40.43/month for the Premium Choice Plus (250 channels) + HBO.

If you’re looking around ...
What is full price after the promotion ends? 1 TV or 5 TV?
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead