Seeking input on type of family car to purchase and whether to buy new or used

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bucky6225

Seeking input on type of family car to purchase and whether to buy new or used

Post by bucky6225 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:36 am

We are a family of four, our kids are 9 months and 7 years old.

We currently have a 2006 Kia Spectra, which is now too small. For a 14 year old car, it’s in really good shape. I’ve taken it in regularly to get serviced, and it’s been very reliable. We plan to keep it as a second vehicle, but we need something that is geared towards a family of four.

Here is what we are looking for:

- Something bigger and more comfortable for a family. We need to fit a car seat and booster seat (possibly fit a fifth when we have visitors). Could be a roomier sedan, a wagon, or possibly an SUV.
- Something very reliable (unlikely to have large unexpected costs if I take it in regularly).
- High rated safety features
- Good mileage (hoping for 25+ in the city), but not as important as the others
- If buying new, I don’t want to spend more than $20-25k OTP.

I’m the type who is more focused on quality/value over looks/style. Whatever we get, I hope to drive it for a long time.

I’d appreciate suggestions on the types of vehicles to look at, and thoughts on new/used.

So far, I’ve been looking at the Toyota RAV4 and VW SportWagen. Any major drawbacks to these? Do competitors offer something similar at better value/reliability? I appreciate any suggestions.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Seeking input on type of family car to purchase and whether to buy new or used

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:50 am

Subaru Legacy. Like all mid sized sedans now, their value drops like a rock the first 4 years. You can buy the current generation which started in 2018 with the newer engine. Look for cars with eyesight for the latest safety features. There's enough room in the back to squeeze in 3 people.

I'm always aware of the "well, our in laws and cousins and friends might all visit at the same time, so maybe I should buy a Blue Bird school bus for that one time in 10 years that I'll need it" syndrome. If people visit and are not comfortable squeezed in the back, they can drive their own car separately. Right?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

GmanJeff

Re: Seeking input on type of family car to purchase and whether to buy new or used

Post by GmanJeff » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 am

The latest safety features, such as automated emergency braking, will require a relatively new vehicle, Carrying 5 people for any distance with any degree of comfort means a somewhat larger vehicle. A new base trim level Mazda 6 sedan or CX-5 SUV might fit the bill, would probably be a bit more fun to drive than alternatives from other brands at similar price points, and would come with warranties which can help mitigate reliability concerns associated with used vehicles.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:08 am

Toyota Camry 2-3 years old if you can find an off lease version at reasonable cost, or buy new. Be sure to take the baby seat when testing cars. Many surprisingly large vehicles including mid sized SUVs will not fit a baby seat very well.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:27 am

It will be hard to beat the versatility of a minivan - Odyssey, Sienna, Sedona, Pacifica, etc. You will probably need to buy something used to meet your budget and 25mpg in the city is not attainable but it could easily handle your other requirements.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:12 am

for used vehicles I'd get a Honda Pilot or a Subaru Outback.

If I was buying new today it would be a Tesla Model Y. If more than 2 kids Honda Odyssey.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 am

clutchied wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:12 am
If I was buying new today it would be a Tesla Model Y.
About 3x the OP's stated budget: "If buying new, I don’t want to spend more than $20-25k".

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 am

02nz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 am
clutchied wrote:
About 3x the OP's stated budget: "If buying new, I don’t want to spend more than $20-25k".
Agreed, but with electric cars they have a non-traditional cost structure I thought it important to put out there as the operating costs are substantially lower resulting in a lower overall cost of ownership. Probably not a $30k delta though.... my bad.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:30 am

OP, compact SUVs are in high demand while sedans are rather out of favor. So you'll get better value for your money (new or used) with a sedan.

I'd consider "compact" sedans like the Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, and Elantra as well. They've grown a lot in size over the years and most are now actually midsize cars, and you might be surprised how spacious they are inside.

A hybrid can make a lot of sense as well esp. if you do a lot of miles off the highway. Besides the well-known Prius, there's the Corolla Hybrid and Honda Insight (which is basically a hybrid version of the Civic).

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:34 am

The budget isn't realistic for buying new.

I completely disagree with most Bogleheads on the utility of what I consider small cars for a family. I would go much bigger. When I was young we filled up then-full-sized 8-passenger station wagons with just three people. And you have to remember in the case of a family of four, two of them are likely to grow in length (and the other two in width, possibly.) Today the nearest equivalent is probably a minivan. Incidentally everybody talks about so-many people but you have add for dogs or other family members.

if you have two cars, it's fine to have one smaller one and one larger one, but make sure even the smaller one will be at least tolerable for everyone, maybe just with not so much cargo.

Sgal8713

Post by Sgal8713 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:39 am

I highly recommend the Suburu Legacy and Honda Odyssey as listed above. We actually own both and plan to drive for many years (unless I succumb to my Tesla fantasy). The minivan is hard to beat because our 3 year old can easily climb in and out by herself. The back row goes all the way down and can basically function like a covered truck bed. Easy to get strollers in and out and such.

Minivan wasnt listed, but we just realized we weren't that cool of people and bought into the soccer-parent mode. Couple year old one would probably do you well.

EDIT: Minivan gets right at 24-25 mpg around town best I can tell... I have a bit of a lead foot so you may do a bit better

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Consumer Reports -- April Car Issue

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:51 am

bucky6225:

Before purchasing a new or used car, I strongly suggest reading the April Car Issue of Consumer Reports. It is available at most libraries.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "One of our most important values is candor. Tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth, with no strings attached, and let the chips fall where they may."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Living Free

Post by Living Free » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 am

Used honda odyssey or toyota sienna minivan, about 4 years old with about 35k miles, can be found for about $20k pretty easily per my researching autotrader.com. We have two small kids and I wish we had a minivan. Our Mazda CX5 is very nice, but I'd like more room for when we go on trips and etc. I'll probably replace my honda fit with a minivan in a year or two. I'm actually quite excited about it. Either a minivan or a used tesla....tough choice but I really want the extra space.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:24 am

Recently went on a 6-day camping trip with our family of 4 (kids 8 and 5, both still in boosters)...in the '17 VW jetta that we bought for <$14k new. As has been mentioned, nobody wants sedans these days so there are deals out there. We have a roof rack for our car, but it literally has never been used, because we simply don't need it, even on over week-long family road trips.

If you feel that you just need SUV/minivan space, you are going to pay for it. In a pretty similar situation, it has never been a need for us.

02nz

Re: Consumer Reports -- April Car Issue

Post by 02nz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:51 am
bucky6225:

Before purchasing a new or used car, I strongly suggest reading the April Car Issue of Consumer Reports. It is available at most libraries.
Or a monthly subscription ($10) to Consumer Reports' website, where you can access all the same data. I'd definitely look closely at CR's reliability data on the VW SportWagen OP is considering. (No, CR's reliability data isn't perfect, but it's probably the best available.)

birdy

Post by birdy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 am

Reading Consumer Reports is an excellent idea! That is what I have used "forever" to decide on my cars. I have always purchased new and keep my cars till they wear out. I currently drive a 2003 Pontiac Vibe which has given me zero problems! It is a 4-door with hatchback and I can fit 23 bags of bark mulch in it! I personally like the Subaru Forrester but it does not fit into your budget. The only problem (for me) keeping a car for a long time is that the safety features are so much better now on the newer cars. Old cars cost next to nothing to keep registered (I was charged $76 this year) and my insurance is way low.

birdy

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 am

birdy wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 am
I currently drive a 2003 Pontiac Vibe which has given me zero problems! It is a 4-door with hatchback and I can fit 23 bags of bark mulch in it!
A compact (really more like midsize these days) hatchback can be a good choice - more cargo space than sedans but not as big as SUVs. The Vibe was a rebadged Toyota Matrix; the modern equivalent would be the Toyota Corolla hatchback. The Mazda3, Civic, and Elantra are also available as hatchbacks.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:04 pm

Toyota Camry or Honda Accord.

Here is a new 2020 Toyota Camry advertised for $21,323. Add tax and tags and you will still be under $25,000.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

brushwood

Post by brushwood » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:17 pm

With two kids, it's going to be hard to beat the utility of a minivan. We have two young kids and have a Dodge Grand Caravan and a Chevy Impala. They both fit the four of us comfortably but if I had to pick one to keep, it would definitely be the minivan. Not only does it have plenty of space for us to all fit comfortably, we have no problems putting in a double stroller, stuff for the beach, etc. in the back. With a seven year old, you probably have more leeway to get away with a sedan, but the minivan has come in handy so many times that I can't imagine not having one. I used to drive a truck and was worried I'd miss the ability to haul stuff but, I am basically able to transport anything I used to haul with the truck by lowering the seats in the minivan. The other great thing about it, is that the sliding doors make it so much easier to get your kid out of the car seat in a parking lot. You don't have to worry about banging your door into one of the cars next to you.

katrid11

Post by katrid11 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:46 pm

With 2 kids either a used SUV or minivan. While you "can" sit 5 in an Accord or Camry, if that 5th is something larger than a child, the hip width between the car seat and booster will be a problem. I am 5'2 and barely fit between a carseat and booster in the middle row of a Pilot.

That said, look at an used Outback if you want just 5 seats or a used Pilot for 7-8 seats. A used Odyssey or Sienna would work good too. I just checked and within 50 mi of my house you can get a 2013-2016 Pilot for $14k-19k depending on fitout and mileage. Used Odyssey you can get a 2017 and sneak under $21k OTD. Outback mimics the Pilot for costs around here.

The budget you have is good for a used car but you won't find anything new that will fit better than your Kia.

tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:58 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:34 am
And you have to remember in the case of a family of four, two of them are likely to grow in length (and the other two in width, possibly.)
This gave me a much needed chuckle this afternoon!! Thanks, tibbitts. :D :P

MMiroir

Post by MMiroir » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:19 pm

bucky6225 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:36 am
You may not realize it now, but as your oldest gets older, there is a good chance that one of the parents will end up invited to carpool duty for your kids clubs, teams, etc. In our neighborhood, parents with five passenger vehicles were typically frozen out of carpools by parents with seven passenger vehicles, which multiplied the carpool trips made by those whose chose smaller vehicles.

New or used, with multiple kids, get a seven passenger vehicle. It will also handle all the gear your kids and friends have much better than a sedan.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:10 pm

clutchied wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 am
02nz wrote:
clutchied wrote:
Agreed, but with electric cars they have a non-traditional cost structure I thought it important to put out there as the operating costs are substantially lower resulting in a lower overall cost of ownership. Probably not a $30k delta though.... my bad.

I suppose there are folks out there that tell themselves (and actually believe it) that they bought a Tesla to save money due to its "non traditional cost structure".

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:14 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:10 pm
clutchied wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 am
02nz wrote:
clutchied wrote:

I suppose there are folks out there that tell themselves (and actually believe it) that they bought a Tesla to save money due to its "non traditional cost structure".
If they plan on driving that Tesla for 40+ years, maybe that "non traditional cost structure" will start to catch up to the $30k initial price delta.

novolog

Post by novolog » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:17 pm

We purchased a 2019 Subaru Forester last year, and it seems to hit all your criteria. We bought the base model for roughly 24k which would fall within your price range. It gets around 33mpg, and we do a good bit of city driving.

We chose it because it is more spacious than the Rav4 & CR-V competitors, and it came with the eyesight feature even on the base model.

So far we love the car, and we plan to drive it into the ground :D

bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:28 pm

I love my minivan, but I think kids are fine in sedans if only in front facing or booster seats. A 2-3 year old Camry or Accord is a great family car. You can get a roofrack for camping or roadtrips.

Ford Fusion or Cmax plug-in hybrids could be interesting

Subaru wagons are great, too but they dont have the same steep depreciation that benefits the buyer of a 2 or 3 year old car.

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 pm

There are lots of good cars to choose from so I will not weigh in on which you should buy. I will say that I have purchased new and used cars in my 66 trips around the sun and by far the best value for me has been to buy new rather than used and to drive the car for a minimum of ten years and 150,000 ish miles.

At that point I rinse and repeat once repairs start mounting up. I have found that cars deteriorate a bit in my four season region due to age as much as mileage despite my attempts to keep them clean and well maintained.

My daughters have flown the coop so we recently downsized from a minivan which was wonderful in the teenage and college years to a smaller SUV. Actually a crossover SUV might be a good choice for you if you don't need three rows of seating. There are many good ones to choose from.

Topic Author
bucky6225

Post by bucky6225 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:34 am

Thanks for all of the replies. I went ahead and signed up for consumer reports which is very helpful.

I was very interested in the VW Golf Sportwagen, but learned that VW cars are built to last for 100k miles while the Japanese manufacturers are built to go 200k+.

I hear those that say not to underestimate the need for space as the kids get older. However, neither my wife or I want to have a minivan.

Right now the Subaru Forester seems like a good option. I also wasn’t aware of the Mazda CX-5, which gets very good reviews and seems to fly under the radar.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:27 am

With 3 small children, we had a Prius. 50+ mpg, bullet proof reliability and extremely low cost maintenance and insurance. Insurance was less on a new Prius than a 6 year old Civic. Mandatory battery replacement is a myth. We took it in the snow and in week long road trips with 3 car seats. The hatch swallowed all our gear without need to tow anything or tie anything to the roof. We bought a second Prius after the first surprised us.

Finally sold the 2005 Prius and it didn't have any battery issues. Replaced with a Mitsubishi Outlander. It's the same size as a Toyota Rav4 or Honda CRV but comes with a 3rd row to carry 7 people as our family had grown to 6. We refuse to drive gas guzzling minivans. This is a compact SUV with a 4 cyl that averages 30 mpg. Some Nissan Rogues and Kia Sorentos have a 3rd row. The new VW Tiguan also has a third row. They are useless for adults as there is hardly any leg room but they are good enough for the toddlers in boosters. They are perfect for someone that wants good fuel economy and doesn't want to drive a big vehicle. The Mitsubishi has a lengthy 10 year warranty. That means the warranty isbintact when my oldest needs to swap from the third row to the second. The Oulander is unloved and usually ranked at the bottom of comparison lists with the Dodge Journey. Thus, we got a 1 year old model for $17k. I find its interior and driving dynamics poor just like a CRV, Rav4 or CX-5. It's a cheap family runabout. I don't appreciate paying $5k more for a Honda or Toyota.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:13 pm

bucky6225 wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that there is a good chance that your 7 year old will be learning to drive on whatever car you get. :shock:

Especially with that in mind I would not skimp on the safety features.

Time does go fast.

Someone mentioned the Subaru Forester. My son has one of those and it is a very good car but they have two preschool age kids and with their car seats there is no way you could get a third person in the back seat, even a kid.

They have a roof rack and a car top carrier on their Forester so it can carry lots of stuff even though using the car top carrier is not ideal.

As someone else said be sure to take car seats with you when looking at cars, I doubt there are many cars where you will be able to get three people in the back seat when you have a car seat and a booster.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:16 pm

bucky6225 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:34 am
I was very interested in the VW Golf Sportwagen, but learned that VW cars are built to last for 100k miles while the Japanese manufacturers are built to go 200k+.
That's a very definitive generalization. Would love to see some sort of evidence that it's true.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:23 pm

bikechuck wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 pm
....by far the best value for me has been to buy new rather than used and to drive the car for a minimum of ten years and 150,000 ish miles.
That is my basic car buying stragety too.

I typically buy modest cars like Hondas and Toyotas then sell them when they are around 10 years old. A ten year old Honda or Toyota that is; one owner, never wrecked, well maintained, with reasonable millage is sort of the holy grail of used cars for some buyers so they will pay a surprising amount for a Corolla/Camry/Civic/Accord like that if you sell it yourself. Being able to sell it for a good price makes buying the next new car a lot easier.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:28 pm

MMiroir wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:19 pm
bucky6225 wrote:
You may not realize it now, but as your oldest gets older, there is a good chance that one of the parents will end up invited to carpool duty for your kids clubs, teams, etc. In our neighborhood, parents with five passenger vehicles were typically frozen out of carpools by parents with seven passenger vehicles, which multiplied the carpool trips made by those whose chose smaller vehicles.

New or used, with multiple kids, get a seven passenger vehicle. It will also handle all the gear your kids and friends have much better than a sedan.
We never had a 7 passenger vehicle. What that typically meant was that the rest of the scout troop, soccer team, church group parents who drove busses as their daily would cart around all the kids. Worked well for me. When I brought my kids to their game, it was just me and him so we'd often be in my Shelby Cobra kit car.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:31 pm

We also have two kids and the Outback is a great fit. We can drop the back seats and carry big furniture if needed, or carry the family plus a large "car top" bag on the roof rack for vacation. Reliable, safe, and not completely embarrassing like a minivan (if you care!). Mileage won't quite reach 25 but it's not far off. Fitting 5 with two kids seats is doable but painful. With just 1 child seat soon for you, it will be better.

Other families in the same boat seem to like CRV, pilot, Highlander, CX5 etc. I drove the RAV4 and felt it was probably a bit small for family trips though it will certainly work - and I'm not sure it's much smaller than the CRV really. Fitting 5 would be tight, and that's where a Highlander or Pilot makes more sense.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:35 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:28 pm
MMiroir wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:19 pm
bucky6225 wrote:

We never had a 7 passenger vehicle. What that typically meant was that the rest of the scout troop, soccer team, church group parents who drove busses as their daily would cart around all the kids. Worked well for me.
+1. In the 7yrs I've been a parent, the amount of times this (some sort of carpool duty thing) has been a thing: 0. Our largest car as parents of 2 has been a VW jetta and we've never needed anything more. And yes, that includes countless short trips where one of my kids' cousins or friends or even grandma got to sit in between their boosters in the back seat. Exactly like buying a home with a bunch more bedrooms because the future possibility that friends and family might come to visit for extended periods.

Topic Author
bucky6225

Post by bucky6225 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:43 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:16 pm
bucky6225 wrote:
That's a very definitive generalization. Would love to see some sort of evidence that it's true.
Who knows how accurate this is, but it's what I was referring to in my comment about 100K life for VW cars?

https://motorandwheels.com/volkswagen-l ... intenance.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:50 pm

bucky6225 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:43 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:16 pm
bucky6225 wrote:
Who knows how accurate this is, but it's what I was referring to in my comment about 100K life for VW cars?

https://motorandwheels.com/volkswagen-l ... intenance.
Did you even read that link?

In general, yes VWs are more of a maintenance headache that Toyotas (typical German over-engineering), but there is absolutely nothing to suggest they are made to last 100k miles while Japanese vehicles are made to last twice as long. I've personally actually had better experiences with longevity/lack of unexpected maintenance with VW than Toyota, but IMO any modern car can go 200k miles if you take care of it.

azanon

Post by azanon » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:58 pm

bucky6225 wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies. I went ahead and signed up for consumer reports which is very helpful.

I hear those that say not to underestimate the need for space as the kids get older. However, neither my wife or I want to have a minivan.

Right now the Subaru Forester seems like a good option. I also wasn’t aware of the Mazda CX-5, which gets very good reviews and seems to fly under the radar.
If you decide to go with the sportwagen, I can answer the New vs. Used question almost definitively - - Used, unless you buy really fast. And, it'll definitely be at most a 2019 since they don't sell those stateside anymore. There's 92 new ones left in the US (at cars.com) - not counting any not listed there for some reason.