Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PhillyBird
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by PhillyBird » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:04 am

We have been interviewing candidates to replace employee who was recently re-assigned. We found our ideal candidate early in the process. There were other candidates that we interviewed for "due diligence", but we decided to make an offer to the ideal candidate while they were still available.

Fast forward one week. The candidate whose resume we received and reviewed, but decided not to interview, sends me a LinkedIn message asking who got the job (not the name but skills/experience wise). Turns out the recruiter gave them my name as one of the interviewers.

I'm not too thrilled about this.

I'm inclined to respond with a concise neutral message laying out the facts. But it wouldn't feel fair to other candidates (there were six in total).

What would you do? Respond to the LinkedIn message? Ignore it? Notify the HR/hiring manager, and let them talk this out with the recruiter? This would probably get the candidate in some trouble which I don't want to do.

Thank you

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 10582
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:09 am

Let HR do its job. Legal might also want to look over a response. Be careful, there be dragons.

ETA: to be clear, don’t answer.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

truenorth418
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:38 am

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by truenorth418 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 am

Agree. Let HR handle it.

BUT in my experience the degree of follow up to the "losing candidates" by the interviewing companies is typically AWFUL. I can't tell you how many times I snuck out of work, used vacation days, travelled to faraway cities, to interview for a job, and never -NEVER- heard back from the interviewing company. No "thanks for coming", "we appreciate your time".. over 90% of the time GHOSTED. Sometimes the 3rd party recruiter would have some feedback, usually not. In fact, even many of the 3rd party recruiters wouldn't even call me with the results.

For their time and trouble, the "losing candidates" deserve the respect of hearing the decision first hand and timely, getting an explanation of why they were passed over, and some feedback on how to improve for next time.

The horrible treatment of candidates by hiring managers and recruiters was one of the factors in my deciding to just get off the corporate treadmill entirely and retire young.

User avatar
galving
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:47 pm
Location: US Gulf Coast

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by galving » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:22 am

Ignore the message, especially because you didn't even interview this candidate.
You don't owe an explanation to anyone.

If it were a pattern, I'd definitely refer it back to HR and the recruiter
If you had a prior relationship with the candidate, I might take a different tact less focused on the job opening that was filled and more towards how the candidate could further develop.

User avatar
Ramjet
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:45 am

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by Ramjet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:24 am

Just don't respond to it, problem solved

User avatar
flossy21
Posts: 516
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 2:04 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by flossy21 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:25 am

Your company may want to revisit with these candidates for future roles and it's important to leave them feeling as if they had a fair hearing with feedback. The feedback loop to candidates in this case should be going through the recruiter. The recruiter should have provided feedback to this candidate.

If I were you I would reach out to the recruiter and ask them to close the loop with the candidate.

MStrambolo
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by MStrambolo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:35 am

truenorth418 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 am

For their time and trouble, the "losing candidates" deserve the respect of hearing the decision first hand and timely, getting an explanation of why they were passed over, and some feedback on how to improve for next time.
I was the department chair at private high school for many years, and responsible for hiring teachers. At the end of a search, I'd always call any candidate who had come in for an interview to let them know that we had chosen someone else and to thank them for applying. Many of them asked for feedback, but I always declined to offer it. I'm not a coach for job applicants and the fact that someone applied and interviewed for a job with our school did not put me in their debt, in my opinion. Furthermore, a poorly worded response to a request for feedback could easily open one up to litigation, which was a chance I never wanted to take.

We would always have resumes go through HR and anyone who took the time to find my name and approach me directly got no response at all. If they can't follow directions, I didn't want them for my team.

Have HR deal with the request!

JHU ALmuni
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by JHU ALmuni » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:03 am

Don't answer, just let HR handle it.

campy2010
Posts: 978
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by campy2010 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:09 am

Ignore or refer to the HR person. As a hiring manager, I don't feel obligated to respond to LinkedIn messages.

I also assume that the HR person did his job in informing the candidates who were passed on based on company policy, the law, and the confidential nature of these types of decisions. I honestly have no idea what these policies are so I make sure I don't break them by staying in my lane.

alfaspider
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by alfaspider » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:36 am

truenorth418 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 am
Agree. Let HR handle it.

BUT in my experience the degree of follow up to the "losing candidates" by the interviewing companies is typically AWFUL. I can't tell you how many times I snuck out of work, used vacation days, travelled to faraway cities, to interview for a job, and never -NEVER- heard back from the interviewing company. No "thanks for coming", "we appreciate your time".. over 90% of the time GHOSTED. Sometimes the 3rd party recruiter would have some feedback, usually not. In fact, even many of the 3rd party recruiters wouldn't even call me with the results.

For their time and trouble, the "losing candidates" deserve the respect of hearing the decision first hand and timely, getting an explanation of why they were passed over, and some feedback on how to improve for next time.

The horrible treatment of candidates by hiring managers and recruiters was one of the factors in my deciding to just get off the corporate treadmill entirely and retire young.
I agree an explanation would be nice, but legal exposure being what it is, very few companies are willing to do that. Even something seemingly innocuous like "we didn't feel like you were a fit with the company culture" could be interpreted as discriminatory. I guarantee HR does not want a hiring manager explaining the reason why a candidate was rejected.

However, I agree completely that companies owe candidates the courtesy of a rejection letter if they were not selected. Unfortunately, "ghosting" seems to be the default rejection method these days. I've even had times where a company reached out to me when I had not even applied, did a phone interview that was nothing but a hard sell on their part, and then ghosted me immediately after.

niceguy7376
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:59 pm
Location: Metro ATL

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by niceguy7376 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 am

When i was interviewing for contract and full time jobs, I was given the LinkedIn profile links of people that are going to inteview me.
I would check out their profiles to understand their background and what type of questions are expected from them.

50% of the time, I was only informed by the 3rd party recruiter that the company went with someone else and no further details.
The other 50%, I never got an update.

In either case, I never reached out to those profiles asking for feedback.
I might have sent a thank you message immediately after the interview and if they responded back, I might have sent the invite to connect.

In the OP case, asking for why someone else is selected and what skills they had compared to the candidate is a more risky Q to answer.

taurabora
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by taurabora » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:41 am

I have seen several job search advice columns recommend that candidates do exactly what this candidate did. “Find out who the hiring manager is and follow up with them.”

EngineerEd
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:56 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by EngineerEd » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:51 am

For someone who didn't even make it past the resume review (i.e. no interview whatsoever)? No response.

Whatever you do, definitely do not explain that you found the ideal candidate early on and other people were just there for due diligence (and this person who contacted you was not even one of those due diligence candidates...).

Also probably not worth making a fuss with HR/recruiting about them passing on your contact info, don't want to accidentally step on toes.


___________________________________________


More broadly, I think it's reasonable to give feedback for rejections after final round interviews. Anything else IMO isn't worth the effort even on the job-seeking side.But regardless, definitely the "we found an ideal candidate and you were just due diligence" piece shouldn't be mentioned in the feedback, even if it is true.

In my experience on the job-seeking side, sometimes the feedback is useful, most times it is pretty vague or just straight BS.

All that said though, I do appreciate when companies at least send you the computer-generated rejection letter over ghosting at any stage of the process (after resume screening, HR phone call, onsite, etc.).
Last edited by EngineerEd on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

stoptothink
Posts: 7847
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 am

alfaspider wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:36 am
truenorth418 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 am
Agree. Let HR handle it.

BUT in my experience the degree of follow up to the "losing candidates" by the interviewing companies is typically AWFUL. I can't tell you how many times I snuck out of work, used vacation days, travelled to faraway cities, to interview for a job, and never -NEVER- heard back from the interviewing company. No "thanks for coming", "we appreciate your time".. over 90% of the time GHOSTED. Sometimes the 3rd party recruiter would have some feedback, usually not. In fact, even many of the 3rd party recruiters wouldn't even call me with the results.

For their time and trouble, the "losing candidates" deserve the respect of hearing the decision first hand and timely, getting an explanation of why they were passed over, and some feedback on how to improve for next time.

The horrible treatment of candidates by hiring managers and recruiters was one of the factors in my deciding to just get off the corporate treadmill entirely and retire young.
I agree an explanation would be nice, but legal exposure being what it is, very few companies are willing to do that. Even something seemingly innocuous like "we didn't feel like you were a fit with the company culture" could be interpreted as discriminatory. I guarantee HR does not want a hiring manager explaining the reason why a candidate was rejected.

However, I agree completely that companies owe candidates the courtesy of a rejection letter if they were not selected. Unfortunately, "ghosting" seems to be the default rejection method these days. I've even had times where a company reached out to me when I had not even applied, did a phone interview that was nothing but a hard sell on their part, and then ghosted me immediately after.
We send out rejection letters. An explanation of why they were passed over and feedback, absolutely not. If a passed-over candidate reaches out to me afterwards, I just ignore it. More than a handful of times it has gotten awkward; they will call/email multiple times, pretty much begging well after (multiple months) the position has been filled. This is a sure-fire way to never be considered for a future position. You got the letter, be an adult.

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 2142
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:58 am

You should let HR know you received the request, but do not personally respond to it.

HR adequately doing it's job should have sent all interviewed candidates a generic deliberately vague thanks but no thanks note - something like this -

"I would like to inform you that we have filled the position. However, we will keep your application on file for consideration if there is a future opening that may be a fit for you. Thank you for your time and for your interest in XYZ company."

The company is under absolutely no obligation to correspond further with a rejected candidate. Like someone else posted - there be dragons...

Pomegranate
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:42 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by Pomegranate » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:02 am

Ramjet wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:24 am
Just don't respond to it, problem solved
OP represents the company. I faced the same situation before and answer ‘Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately I can’t provide this info but encourage you te reach back to HR’ solved it. Just ignoring leaves a bitter taste

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 4395
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by Stinky » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:02 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:58 am
You should let HR know you received the request, but do not personally respond to it.

HR adequately doing it's job should have sent all interviewed candidates a generic deliberately vague thanks but no thanks note - something like this -

"I would like to inform you that we have filled the position. However, we will keep your application on file for consideration if there is a future opening that may be a fit for you. Thank you for your time and for your interest in XYZ company."

The company is under absolutely no obligation to correspond further with a rejected candidate. Like someone else posted - there be dragons...
+1

Let HR handle it.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Pomegranate
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:42 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by Pomegranate » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:03 am

taurabora wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:41 am
I have seen several job search advice columns recommend that candidates do exactly what this candidate did. “Find out who the hiring manager is and follow up with them.”
Agreed. But as a HM I hate such ‘follow ups’ and just encourage to talk with recruiters

KlangFool
Posts: 16603
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by KlangFool » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:04 am

truenorth418 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 am
Agree. Let HR handle it.

BUT in my experience the degree of follow up to the "losing candidates" by the interviewing companies is typically AWFUL. I can't tell you how many times I snuck out of work, used vacation days, travelled to faraway cities, to interview for a job, and never -NEVER- heard back from the interviewing company. No "thanks for coming", "we appreciate your time".. over 90% of the time GHOSTED. Sometimes the 3rd party recruiter would have some feedback, usually not. In fact, even many of the 3rd party recruiters wouldn't even call me with the results.

For their time and trouble, the "losing candidates" deserve the respect of hearing the decision first hand and timely, getting an explanation of why they were passed over, and some feedback on how to improve for next time.

The horrible treatment of candidates by hiring managers and recruiters was one of the factors in my deciding to just get off the corporate treadmill entirely and retire young.
truenorth418,

I had experienced that and much more. The worst company did not even send me an email to inform me that I had been rejected. That was 6 months after the on-site interview. I had to contact their HR in order to get an answer.

If employers feel that they had been ghosted, they should ask themselves whether they had ghosted the candidates.

KlangFool

Dottie57
Posts: 8656
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:10 am

taurabora wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:41 am
I have seen several job search advice columns recommend that candidates do exactly what this candidate did. “Find out who the hiring manager is and follow up with them.”
This.

User avatar
mmmodem
Posts: 2118
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by mmmodem » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:13 am

I would ignore the LinkedIn message simply because it is not an employer provided tool. I don't have to check our social media protocol to know I am in compliance with my employer ignoring the message. I might notify HR if I actually spoke to this candidate. The only response I would give is through email and it would state we hired internally.

I would not be upset my name was given out by the recruiter. This is common in my industry. I think almost every job a recruiter recommended to me that I had any interest in had a name attached to the position. Even before I submitted my resume. One of the reasons is to network. I might know someone at the company that can recommend me.

delamer
Posts: 10116
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by delamer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:21 am

It seems to me that the problem is with the recruiter, who gave out your name to the applicant.

Complain to HR about the recruiter.

mak1277
Posts: 1419
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by mak1277 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:22 am

I don't feel obligated to ever respond to a LinkedIn message, but then again, I usually don't even realize I have a message until months after it's sent. If it didn't require effort I would just delete my LinkedIN entirely.

tim1999
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 am

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by tim1999 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:46 am

If it's someone I didn't even interview, I'd ignore the message 100% of the time.

KyleAAA
Posts: 8326
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by KyleAAA » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:50 am

I would respond directly. Keep it brief. If you hired the perfect person, it shouldn't be difficult to articulate what's so perfect about them.

T4REngineer
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 9:50 am

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by T4REngineer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:53 am

A lot of replies are along the lines of "you and the company have nothing to gain so simply ignore it". I do not disagree but think a little professionalism goes a long way - does that apply in this situation, I am not sure and lean towards no simply because an interview was not even granted.

With online job postings any where from 1-100+ can apply in a matter of days, can you image if everyone reached out for feedback as to why the didn't get an interview....I think at this stage of game no response other than MAYBE an automated e-mail would be warranted. For someone who interviewed - I expect follow up but more along the lines of a polite rejection e-mail. For the most part every job I have not gotten it was clear to me after the interview what they were looking for, where I fell short and so it was a gambling match of how the other candidates compared in those areas or if they wanted to repost for another round.

If you do reply keep it very brief and not specific (not that there is anything to be specific on if you didn't even interview the guy/gal)

JLJL
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by JLJL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 am

Pomegranate wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:02 am
Ramjet wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:24 am
Just don't respond to it, problem solved
OP represents the company. I faced the same situation before and answer ‘Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately I can’t provide this info but encourage you te reach back to HR’ solved it. Just ignoring leaves a bitter taste
No reason for the candidate to even know OP is active on LinkedIn or have any kind of expectation that they correspond this way. Don't click their profile and they'll never know whether you even read the message. Candidates have an official contact for communication (HR or their recruiter etc).

Candidate broke protocol not OP.

Pomegranate
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:42 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by Pomegranate » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:00 am

JLJL wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 am
Pomegranate wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:02 am
Ramjet wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:24 am
Just don't respond to it, problem solved
OP represents the company. I faced the same situation before and answer ‘Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately I can’t provide this info but encourage you te reach back to HR’ solved it. Just ignoring leaves a bitter taste
No reason for the candidate to even know OP is active on LinkedIn or have any kind of expectation that they correspond this way. Don't click their profile and they'll never know whether you even read the message. Candidates have an official contact for communication (HR or their recruiter etc).

Candidate broke protocol not OP.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. You can pretend 'Hey I do not exist'/'Candidate broke protocol' or express some sympathy and reply back. It's a huge gap between old school and new approach :sharebeer

mighty72
Moderator
Posts: 981
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 11:22 pm
Location: Somewhere in the West

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by mighty72 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:19 am

There is no protocol as one puts their own information and where they work on LinkedIn.

I have interviewed 100's of people. I usually give some high level feedback at the end of the interview. It is technical feedback on how I would have solved the problem or made it more efficient.

Half of the time I get LinkedIn connection request after the interview. It is easy to find me if you know my name and employer. Sometimes, rejected candidates ask me to forward their resume to other managers with similar roles which I did if I found the candidate was good.

I always replied and usually said that the HR person will contact you. It is the right and polite thing to do

This is specially important if you are hiring for a senior position as you might end up working with that person. It has happened to me.

KlangFool
Posts: 16603
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by KlangFool » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 am

Folks,

What goes around, comes around. It is what you choose to do when you do not have to that defines you.

KlangFool

stoptothink
Posts: 7847
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:00 am

KlangFool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 am
Folks,

What goes around, comes around. It is what you choose to do when you do not have to that defines you.

KlangFool
Have you ever been in this position, where you are interviewing a lot of people and you get these messages/email/calls regularly? I bet you would feel differently if you were the one dealing with it. I don't feel bad for a second for not responding to someone who can't take a rejection letter and move on.

KlangFool
Posts: 16603
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by KlangFool » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:06 am

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:00 am
KlangFool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 am
Folks,

What goes around, comes around. It is what you choose to do when you do not have to that defines you.

KlangFool
Have you ever been in this position, where you are interviewing a lot of people and you get these messages/email/calls regularly? I bet you would feel differently if you were the one dealing with it. I don't feel bad for a second for not responding to someone who can't take a rejection letter and move on.
stoptothink,

No, I have never in that position. In my industry and the kind of positions that I am interview for and with, everyone knows everyone.

KlangFool

User avatar
vitaflo
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:02 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by vitaflo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 am

KlangFool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 am
Folks,

What goes around, comes around. It is what you choose to do when you do not have to that defines you.

KlangFool
And sometimes what comes around is a lawsuit. The reason companies ghost candidates is for liability reasons, not because they're big meanies.

KlangFool
Posts: 16603
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by KlangFool » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:18 am

vitaflo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 am
KlangFool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 am
Folks,

What goes around, comes around. It is what you choose to do when you do not have to that defines you.

KlangFool
And sometimes what comes around is a lawsuit. The reason companies ghost candidates is for liability reasons, not because they're big meanies.
vitaflo,

Please be sure that we are talking about the same thing.

A) Ghost as in not responding to question after the rejection was sent.

B) Ghost as in never sending out a rejection.

Are you claiming that (A) or (B) is acceptable?

KlangFool

User avatar
fizxman
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by fizxman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:27 am

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:00 am
KlangFool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 am
Folks,

What goes around, comes around. It is what you choose to do when you do not have to that defines you.

KlangFool
Have you ever been in this position, where you are interviewing a lot of people and you get these messages/email/calls regularly? I bet you would feel differently if you were the one dealing with it. I don't feel bad for a second for not responding to someone who can't take a rejection letter and move on.
Have you been in the position where you are one of the 30+ million people who were laid off, are now looking for a job, and can't even get a response from a company you applied to and/or interviewed at? Because this is the boat I currently am in and it's terrible. How can you blame a person who wants to know where they need to improve in order to get the next job?

I did something nearly identical to this, except I interviewed with the hiring manager. Two weeks after my second interview, I reached out to the technical recruiter (internal to the company, not 3rd party) asking for an update and heard nothing. I asked again a few days later and still nothing. I then reached out via LinkedIn to the hiring manager asking for an update (I was never given the hiring manager's work email). There I was told they went with someone else. I asked what was it about me that kept me from being their first choice, so I know where I need to improve for the next time and I haven't heard back since, which was a week ago. I've accepted that I'm never going to hear back and I'll remember this experience.

These are unprecedented time folks and people are getting desperate. If you're looking over resumes or interviewing people, do the right thing and let them know that they didn't get the job as soon as possible so they can keep moving. And if they ask, briefly let them know why they didn't get the job. Until you're on the other side, you have absolutely no idea what it's like, especially in today's world.

stoptothink
Posts: 7847
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:41 am

fizxman wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:27 am
stoptothink wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:00 am
KlangFool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 am
Folks,

What goes around, comes around. It is what you choose to do when you do not have to that defines you.

KlangFool
Have you ever been in this position, where you are interviewing a lot of people and you get these messages/email/calls regularly? I bet you would feel differently if you were the one dealing with it. I don't feel bad for a second for not responding to someone who can't take a rejection letter and move on.
Have you been in the position where you are one of the 30+ million people who were laid off, are now looking for a job, and can't even get a response from a company you applied to and/or interviewed at? Because this is the boat I currently am in and it's terrible. How can you blame a person who wants to know where they need to improve in order to get the next job?

I did something nearly identical to this, except I interviewed with the hiring manager. Two weeks after my second interview, I reached out to the technical recruiter (internal to the company, not 3rd party) asking for an update and heard nothing. I asked again a few days later and still nothing. I then reached out via LinkedIn to the hiring manager asking for an update (I was never given the hiring manager's work email). There I was told they went with someone else. I asked what was it about me that kept me from being their first choice, so I know where I need to improve for the next time and I haven't heard back since, which was a week ago. I've accepted that I'm never going to hear back and I'll remember this experience.

These are unprecedented time folks and people are getting desperate. If you're looking over resumes or interviewing people, do the right thing and let them know that they didn't get the job as soon as possible so they can keep moving. And if they ask, briefly let them know why they didn't get the job. Until you're on the other side, you have absolutely no idea what it's like, especially in today's world.
FWIW, in '08-'09 I applied for a few hundred jobs, most of which I never heard from at all. I've been interviewed face-to-face dozens of times in my life and been "ghosted" after most of them. IMO, a rejection letter is common courtesy, but that's on HR. When you ask someone who interviewed you what you need to improve on, the chances of getting an honest and constructive response is almost zero because there is risk in responding to you at all. It can get ex-GF weird; I know first-hand because I was a lot more empathetic when I first got into upper management and would sometimes respond. You want some constructive criticism, hire an interview consultant.

motorcyclesarecool
Posts: 918
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:45 am

truenorth418 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 am
Agree. Let HR handle it.

BUT in my experience the degree of follow up to the "losing candidates" by the interviewing companies is typically AWFUL. I can't tell you how many times I snuck out of work, used vacation days, travelled to faraway cities, to interview for a job, and never -NEVER- heard back from the interviewing company. No "thanks for coming", "we appreciate your time".. over 90% of the time GHOSTED. Sometimes the 3rd party recruiter would have some feedback, usually not. In fact, even many of the 3rd party recruiters wouldn't even call me with the results.

For their time and trouble, the "losing candidates" deserve the respect of hearing the decision first hand and timely, getting an explanation of why they were passed over, and some feedback on how to improve for next time.

The horrible treatment of candidates by hiring managers and recruiters was one of the factors in my deciding to just get off the corporate treadmill entirely and retire young.
I interviewed again and again during the GFC and only heard back when employers had an offer. Unbelievably disrespectful and frankly dehumanizing, especially after getting time off, taking my suit to the cleaners, polishing my shoes, and getting there on time. Even just hearing the decision timely would have been a huge improvement. Continuing to interview candidates when the decision has been made is execrable, especially in a bad economy.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

scophreak
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:17 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by scophreak » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 am

Agreed that this is a horrible, but unfortunately common practice. In my field, standard interviews are an all-day affair. One would think that it is simply common courtesy to fire off a simple "thanks, but we went with another candidate" letter to those that interviewed in person. For some reason, it seems that common courtesy is something in short supply in HR education and practice. Ghosting candidates, even those that spend a whole day interviewing in person, is unfortunately par for the course.

KlangFool
Posts: 16603
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by KlangFool » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:04 pm

scophreak wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 am
Agreed that this is a horrible, but unfortunately common practice. In my field, standard interviews are an all-day affair. One would think that it is simply common courtesy to fire off a simple "thanks, but we went with another candidate" letter to those that interviewed in person. For some reason, it seems that common courtesy is something in short supply in HR education and practice. Ghosting candidates, even those that spend a whole day interviewing in person, is unfortunately par for the course.
scophreak,

Then, why should the employer be surprised when the candidate ghosting the interviews?

What goes around, comes around.

KlangFool

scophreak
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:17 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by scophreak » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:07 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:04 pm
scophreak wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 am
Agreed that this is a horrible, but unfortunately common practice. In my field, standard interviews are an all-day affair. One would think that it is simply common courtesy to fire off a simple "thanks, but we went with another candidate" letter to those that interviewed in person. For some reason, it seems that common courtesy is something in short supply in HR education and practice. Ghosting candidates, even those that spend a whole day interviewing in person, is unfortunately par for the course.
scophreak,

Then, why should the employer be surprised when the candidate ghosting the interviews?

What goes around, comes around.

KlangFool
I don't disagree in principle. However, I choose to live my life by other principles - two wrongs don't make a right. Thus, ghosting wouldn't be an option that I would consider for myself.

stoptothink
Posts: 7847
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:08 pm

scophreak wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:07 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:04 pm
scophreak wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 am
Agreed that this is a horrible, but unfortunately common practice. In my field, standard interviews are an all-day affair. One would think that it is simply common courtesy to fire off a simple "thanks, but we went with another candidate" letter to those that interviewed in person. For some reason, it seems that common courtesy is something in short supply in HR education and practice. Ghosting candidates, even those that spend a whole day interviewing in person, is unfortunately par for the course.
scophreak,

Then, why should the employer be surprised when the candidate ghosting the interviews?

What goes around, comes around.

KlangFool
I don't disagree in principle. However, I choose to live my life by other principles - two wrongs don't make a right. Thus, ghosting wouldn't be an option that I would consider for myself.
Why would an employer care at all that an interviewee ghosted them?

delamer
Posts: 10116
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by delamer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:30 pm

From the original post:

“The candidate whose resume we received and reviewed, but decided not to interview, sends me a LinkedIn message asking who got the job (not the name but skills/experience wise). Turns out the recruiter gave them my name as one of the interviewers.”

This is not ghosting anyone. The OP had no previous contact with the person who contacted her/him.

This is the recruiter’s fault.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 19686
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by Watty » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:36 pm

Not getting a response from a company after an interview, even just a phone interview, is just plain rude even if it is just a short note from an HR clerk saying thank you for your time and that the company will keep your information on file and little else.

Since you have not interviewed them I would pass it off to HR and let them worry about it.
motorcyclesarecool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:45 am
Even just hearing the decision timely would have been a huge improvement.
Sometimes you will not get a timely rejection just because you might be a second or third choice if the person who accepted the position does not show up or they don't pass a background or drug test.

I would agree that you should eventually hear back from them though.

KlangFool
Posts: 16603
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by KlangFool » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:49 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:08 pm
scophreak wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:07 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:04 pm
scophreak wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 am
Agreed that this is a horrible, but unfortunately common practice. In my field, standard interviews are an all-day affair. One would think that it is simply common courtesy to fire off a simple "thanks, but we went with another candidate" letter to those that interviewed in person. For some reason, it seems that common courtesy is something in short supply in HR education and practice. Ghosting candidates, even those that spend a whole day interviewing in person, is unfortunately par for the course.
scophreak,

Then, why should the employer be surprised when the candidate ghosting the interviews?

What goes around, comes around.

KlangFool
I don't disagree in principle. However, I choose to live my life by other principles - two wrongs don't make a right. Thus, ghosting wouldn't be an option that I would consider for myself.
Why would an employer care at all that an interviewee ghosted them?
stoptothink,

If the employer scheduled 3 interviewers to interview the candidates, then, the candidate never shows up. It wasted the interviewer's time.

KlangFool

User avatar
fizxman
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by fizxman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:03 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:49 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:08 pm
scophreak wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:07 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:04 pm
scophreak wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 am
Agreed that this is a horrible, but unfortunately common practice. In my field, standard interviews are an all-day affair. One would think that it is simply common courtesy to fire off a simple "thanks, but we went with another candidate" letter to those that interviewed in person. For some reason, it seems that common courtesy is something in short supply in HR education and practice. Ghosting candidates, even those that spend a whole day interviewing in person, is unfortunately par for the course.
scophreak,

Then, why should the employer be surprised when the candidate ghosting the interviews?

What goes around, comes around.

KlangFool
I don't disagree in principle. However, I choose to live my life by other principles - two wrongs don't make a right. Thus, ghosting wouldn't be an option that I would consider for myself.
Why would an employer care at all that an interviewee ghosted them?
stoptothink,

If the employer scheduled 3 interviewers to interview the candidates, then, the candidate never shows up. It wasted the interviewer's time.

KlangFool
Unless someone's safety is on the line, don't ghost people, ever.

If a job is posted and 1000 people apply, the company then needs to send out 1000 responses. If you can't do that, I bet one of those 1000 people looking for a job would be more than happy to do so in your stead.

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 2092
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by 8foot7 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Someone sending you a LinkedIn message out of the blue does not create any obligation for you to do anything.

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 2092
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by 8foot7 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:08 pm

motorcyclesarecool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:45 am
truenorth418 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 am
Agree. Let HR handle it.

BUT in my experience the degree of follow up to the "losing candidates" by the interviewing companies is typically AWFUL. I can't tell you how many times I snuck out of work, used vacation days, travelled to faraway cities, to interview for a job, and never -NEVER- heard back from the interviewing company. No "thanks for coming", "we appreciate your time".. over 90% of the time GHOSTED. Sometimes the 3rd party recruiter would have some feedback, usually not. In fact, even many of the 3rd party recruiters wouldn't even call me with the results.

For their time and trouble, the "losing candidates" deserve the respect of hearing the decision first hand and timely, getting an explanation of why they were passed over, and some feedback on how to improve for next time.

The horrible treatment of candidates by hiring managers and recruiters was one of the factors in my deciding to just get off the corporate treadmill entirely and retire young.
I interviewed again and again during the GFC and only heard back when employers had an offer. Unbelievably disrespectful and frankly dehumanizing, especially after getting time off, taking my suit to the cleaners, polishing my shoes, and getting there on time. Even just hearing the decision timely would have been a huge improvement. Continuing to interview candidates when the decision has been made is execrable, especially in a bad economy.
This. The minute you decide not to hire someone, you should communicate that decision to them somehow.
Whether that is you, or HR, or your assistant, or over the phone, via email, or whatever.
The very second you say, "this is not the person who we should hire," you absolutely should tell that person.

The only exception in my book is for the very first step if someone simply responds to a job ad. I don't believe submitting a resume on a website creates any obligation for the employer. However, as soon as someone invites a candidate for an e-mail or a phone screen, the process has started, and the candidate deserves timely updates.

MittensMoney
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:59 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by MittensMoney » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:19 pm

Either don't respond at all, or if you feel compelled to I'd thank them for their note and their interest in the opportunity, and let them know we can't give direct feedback regarding hiring decisions*. If they have any further questions they can follow up with the recruiter.

*If this isn't a rule within your team, make it one.

I'd avoid engaging to lay out the facts. Candidates asking for feedback in my experience are usually looking for another opportunity to make their case, which just spins both of your wheels unnecessarily. Worst case scenario they're trying to gather information to use against the company, it's low probability but could happen.

stoptothink
Posts: 7847
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:32 pm

fizxman wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:03 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:49 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:08 pm
scophreak wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:07 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:04 pm


scophreak,

Then, why should the employer be surprised when the candidate ghosting the interviews?

What goes around, comes around.

KlangFool
I don't disagree in principle. However, I choose to live my life by other principles - two wrongs don't make a right. Thus, ghosting wouldn't be an option that I would consider for myself.
Why would an employer care at all that an interviewee ghosted them?
stoptothink,

If the employer scheduled 3 interviewers to interview the candidates, then, the candidate never shows up. It wasted the interviewer's time.

KlangFool
Unless someone's safety is on the line, don't ghost people, ever.

If a job is posted and 1000 people apply, the company then needs to send out 1000 responses. If you can't do that, I bet one of those 1000 people looking for a job would be more than happy to do so in your stead.
:confused You're trolling right?

So you're hiring and you get 100+ applicants in a week (this is my normal), you are supposed to send out 100+ responses, even though 90 of the applications are filtered out from HR because they don't meet basic qualifications and you never even see them, and another 5 aren't even really considered?

Heaven help you if you are ever in a position to be interviewing/hiring/managing others.
Last edited by stoptothink on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KlangFool
Posts: 16603
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Job candidate sending messages via LinkedIn

Post by KlangFool » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:35 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:32 pm
:confused You're trolling right?

So you're hiring and you get 100+ applicants in a week (this is my normal), you are supposed to send out 100+ responses, even though 90 of the applications are filtered out from HR because they don't meet basic qualifications and you never even see them, and another 5 aren't even really considered?

Heaven help you if you are ever in a position to be interviewing/hiring/managing others.
stoptothink,

Are you claiming that your HR is so incompetent that they do not have an automated system to send out a rejection email to that 90 applicants?

KlangFool

Post Reply