Cost of Adding a Sprinkler Head to an Existing Zone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
creant

Cost of Adding a Sprinkler Head to an Existing Zone

Post by creant » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:34 pm

What is a fair price to pay (including parts and labor) for adding an extra sprinkler head to an existing zone? Assume the existing zone has already 6 rotary sprinkler heads in the shape of a dice #6 and that the additional sprinkler head will be between the bottom 2 dots. Thank you.

Globalviewer58

Re: Cost of Adding a Sprinkler Head to an Existing Zone

Post by Globalviewer58 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:41 pm

In the Midwest it costS about $100 per hour labor plus parts which may add another $20. My experience is the task is about $120.

Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:41 pm

In the Midwest it cost about $100 per hour labor plus parts which may add another $20. My experience is the task is about $120.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:46 pm

Are you handy? You could DIY for this job.

T connector from the nearest head. Some additional pipe and the new sprinkler head.

My father in law and I added 2 heads like this. It required some digging and took a few hours. Not difficult for some with a handy gene.

The hard part will be finding a company that will bother with a small job. You could contact the installer/person that closes and opens it up each season.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:49 pm

I paid $20 a head to replace 16 heads, parts and labor, including new flexible risers.
$100-$200 seems reasonable depending on how much digging is required.
If you have a regular lawn guy maybe he'd do it for under $100

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:57 pm

This could be a little more involved since a new trench has to be opened up if there is no pipe at that location between the triplets. Don't forget to call 811 to get potential underground utilities marked in that case.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

GMCZ71

Post by GMCZ71 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:39 pm

Will your water system handle 7 heads? Low pressure and more rotor heads may cause problems.
John

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:57 pm

GMCZ71 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:39 pm
Will your water system handle 7 heads? Low pressure and more rotor heads may cause problems.
Exactly my thinking. Sprinklers are grouped into "zones" largely because the water supply line can only supply so much water at one time. Otherwise you could have all your sprinklers go on at once and get watering over with very quickly.

So there's the water supply. Municipal or well? Well is generally less tolerant of trying to add heads to a properly designed system because most domestic wells supply less than municipal supply lines and there is less leeway for sloppy system design.

Having too many heads in a zone means the pressure drops too much, the water doesn't go the distance it needs to, and you're the neighbor standing out there all summer with the hose watering those brown spots.

To some extent the diameter and length of the plumbing comes into play.

So the answer to how much it would cost would be however much it costs to add one head, or how much to add a whole 'nother zone. Fine if you're on city water. If you're on a domestic well the pump won't be happy supplying only a single head because that would force the pump to cycle on and off rapidly.
Semper Augustus

Oilcans

Post by Oilcans » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:41 pm

Cost me $169.10 to add one head last summer. Work done by our lawn company. I'm not very handy, but I think someone that could do this themselves could do it for half that.

Carter3

Post by Carter3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:37 am

My irrigation company did this for me 3x last year, it cost $95 each time (construction next door to me) . They charge $95/hour and it didn't take those guys 30 minutes to complete but it was August and hot.

I replaced a sprinkler head ($6) and added a sprinkler head last month ($24). The majority of that cost was due to buying extra pipe in case I wanted to add more later.