1930s radio station full broadcast day - WJSV Washington D.C., September 21, 1939

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OkieIndexer

1930s radio station full broadcast day - WJSV Washington D.C., September 21, 1939

Post by OkieIndexer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:27 pm

This is quite fascinating. Internet Archive has a full 19 hours broadcast day of station WJSV Washington, D.C. from Sept. 21, 1939 if you are curious as to what radio was actually like in those days. Especially interesting since World War II was breaking out in Europe at that time. Music, news, quiz shows, baseball (Cleveland Indians at Washington Senators), daytime soaps, evening comedies, Pres. Roosevelt.

Highlight for me so far (I'm only 35 minutes in): Arthur Godfrey advertising "Pepsi Cola...it's good for you! Wholesome, healthful, you couldn't hurt anybody with it! 5 cents for a big 12 ounce bottle that contains two full glasses. A carton of 6 for a quarter, and the carton is easy to carry and store." :D

https://archive.org/details/CompleteBro ... ART_01.MP3
"In bull markets, people say 'The more risk I take, the greater my return.' But when people aren't afraid of risk, they'll accept risk without being compensated." -Howard Marks, Oaktree Capital