Has Amazon ever called you to verify a purchase?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

I know that credit cards call or text or email to verify a purchase - but have you ever been called by a person claiming to be from Amazon directly to verify a purchase from Amazon?

Just happened to us. We asked what the purchase-to-be was and the person said "Apple iphone 7 plus." I said I'll check and asked for their phone number to call them back - and they hung up :shock:
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of Wisdom" - Pillar 3: Time Marches On. Time dramatically enhances capital accumulation as the magic of compounding accelerates.
Ged

Re: Has Amazon ever called you to verify a purchase?

Post by Ged »

No. Amazon has never initiated a conversation of that nature with me. I have gotten a call from them but it's always been a return from a conversation I initiated.

And I am a very heavy Amazon user.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

No. Nobody but credit card companies have ever contacted me to verify a purchase. Furthermore, it seems to me that for a long time now it has either been text messages or emails, not a voice call.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Dilbydog

Post by Dilbydog »

Funny, Amazon called me yesterday to verify the purchase of a large number of Visa gift cards. A legit purchase that I made. The call from Amazon’s fraud prevention team was made within a minute of my purchase.
ikowik

Post by ikowik »

No, never a call from Amazon. I am a regular, though not heavy, user.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:22 pm Has Amazon ever called you to verify a purchase?

I know that credit cards call or text or email to verify a purchase - but have you ever been called by a person claiming to be from Amazon directly to verify a purchase from Amazon?

Just happened to us. We asked what the purchase-to-be was and the person said "Apple iphone 7 plus." I said I'll check and asked for their phone number to call them back - and they hung up :shock:
Sounds phishy. You should check your amazon account order history, if there is no such order, report the event to amazon as a phishing attempt:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201909130
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Dilbydog wrote: Funny, Amazon called me yesterday to verify the purchase of a large number of Visa gift cards. A legit purchase that I made. The call from Amazon’s fraud prevention team was made within a minute of my purchase.
Interesting, thank you. However, no one in our family (yes I checked with all the kids :mrgreen: ) ordered an Apple iPhone from Amazon.

Actually, our kids enjoy the "whole experience" of going into Apple stores in person and buying their iPhones in person :wink:
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of Wisdom" - Pillar 3: Time Marches On. Time dramatically enhances capital accumulation as the magic of compounding accelerates.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

anon_investor wrote: Sounds phishy. You should check your amazon account order history, if there is no such order, report the event to amazon as a phishing attempt:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201909130
Thank you for this link.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

I wonder if my Amazon account is not safe. Do others see this ==>>

If I am on my computer that I use to order Amazon -
If I go on Google & click Amazon.com - up comes Amazon & a cheerful "Hello Miriam2!"
I click on Accounts & Lists - up comes Your Account - I can click on Orders

When I click on Orders - up comes all our past orders - including links to the invoices, order details including our names, delivery address, last 4 digits of CC & billing address and a button to "order again" - (we never ordered an Apple iPhone)

All this without me signing in. (although to change my details, I have to sign in)

Is this Google-Amazon access normal - or have I failed to protect my account?
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:04 pm I wonder if my Amazon account is not safe. Do others see this ==>>

If I go on Google & click Amazon.com - up comes Amazon & a cheerful "Hello Miriam2!"

When I click on Orders - up comes all our past orders - including links to the invoices, order details including our names, delivery address, last 4 digits of CC & billing address and a button to "order again" - (we never ordered an Apple iPhone)

All this without me signing in. (although to change my details, I have to sign in)

You're still logged in is all. When you think you're signing in later, all you're doing is confirming your password (for extra security) before doing something important. If you explicitly logged out of Amazon this wouldn't happen - nothing to worry about at all.
Last edited by dukeblue219 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:04 pm Is this Google-Amazon access normal - or have I failed to protect my account?
It sounds like you might have selected the "keep me signed in" option when you last logged on to Amazon. That will, as it suggests, keep you signed in until you clear the browser cookies.

Edit: Or until you select the logout option on Amazon's page.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

dukeblue219 wrote: You're still logged in is all. When you think you're signing in later, all you're doing is confirming your password (for extra security) before doing something important. If you explicitly logged out of Amazon this wouldn't happen - nothing to worry about at all.
Mudpuppy wrote: It sounds like you might have selected the "keep me signed in" option when you last logged on to Amazon. That will, as it suggests, keep you signed in until you clear the browser cookies.

Edit: Or until you select the logout option on Amazon's page.
Thank you. I'll change our account to not keep us logged-in. Good idea.
ikowik

Post by ikowik »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:04 pm I wonder if my Amazon account is not safe. Do others see this ==>>

I explicitly sign-out after each use of Amazon account. I dislike the sneaky way they keep you signed in, not even sure if you have to select "keep me signed in" for that to happen. When I need to sign back in, the password manager takes care of it. Just another site tracking me on the web, don't need it.
Drovor

Post by Drovor »

Dilbydog wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:30 pm Funny, Amazon called me yesterday to verify the purchase of a large number of Visa gift cards. A legit purchase that I made. The call from Amazon’s fraud prevention team was made within a minute of my purchase.
I could understand this since there are a lot of scams related to gift cards. One posted a couple days ago in another thread.

I haven't personally been called by Amazon and I would say we are frequent Amazon users although not for gift card purchases.
runswithscissors

Post by runswithscissors »

They have called me on a few occasions when I've purchased a large amount in gift cards (over $1,000). Once they verify, the cards get delivered. Other than that I've never received a call from Amazon.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:22 pm Has Amazon ever called you to verify a purchase?

No, never.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Trader Joe wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:40 pm

No, never.
I assume you weren't REALLY going to call them back at a number they would give you.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

RudyS wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: Has Amazon ever called you to verify a purchase?

I assume you weren't REALLY going to call them back at a number they would give you.
:oops: good catch - I hope I wouldn't. I'm suspicious enough I would hope I would have verified that number, or better yet, called Amazon fraud. But it was the best response I could think of at that moment on the phone.

Meanwhile, calling Amazon fraud department is difficult. I reported the incident and Amazon wanted to know the phone number that the purported Amazon caller called from. Interesting - it was a local area code with the same 3 first phone digits . . .
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

One should be highly suspicious of any call ( or email ) purporting to be from an online vendor.

Over the last couple of months, my elderly Dad has received many emails purporting to be from "Amazon" requesting either account verification or "your recent order" has a card issue. Not one of these emails was sent from an Amazon domain address.

It would not surprise me at all that there is a telephone variant of this scam.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

I have been called. It was just after I purchased a large gift to be sent to a new, out of state address.

Ralph
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

There’s a phone scam where you get a robo call describing an “order” and then “ If you did not place this order call 833 xxxxxxx.” I don’t know what happens if you call back, but several neighbors and I received this call. I called Amazon and they said they don’t make such calls.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

I got a phishing scam this spring -- every time I order, the next day an email not from amazon.com appears, saying there was a problem with payment contact us blah blah. I changed my password and it seems to have gone away. No calls.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
DarkNyte

Post by DarkNyte »

Amazon always calls me right after I make a large Amazon gift card purchase. I make $1000 gift card purchases maybe twice a year, and have recently been called the last two times to verify that I made the purchase, and that it wasn't a fraudulent attempt. That was the extent of the conversation, and that was all they asked about. So it's not always a scam if someone says they are calling from Amazon.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

littlebird wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:38 pm

There’s a phone scam where you get a robo call describing an “order” and then “ If you did not place this order call 833 xxxxxxx.” I don’t know what happens if you call back, but several neighbors and I received this call. I called Amazon and they said they don’t make such calls.
Here're details on the 833 scam: https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-the-ar ... am-4774826
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

ikowik wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:29 pm

I explicitly sign-out after each use of Amazon account. I dislike the sneaky way they keep you signed in, not even sure if you have to select "keep me signed in" for that to happen. When I need to sign back in, the password manager takes care of it. Just another site tracking me on the web, don't need it.
Agree on this. Always sign-out after completing your transactions lest someone else use your computer to make purchases.

For this reason I refuse to use the Amazon app: it makes the sign-out process almost impossible to find.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 pm I reported the incident and Amazon wanted to know the phone number that the purported Amazon caller called from. Interesting - it was a local area code with the same 3 first phone digits . . .
This wasn’t probably the actual number you were called from. There is a thing called “caller id spoofing” where the caller is able to insert a different number into the caller id function. They often use the same area code and first three digits approach because it looks familiar to people and they tend to pick up the call more frequently.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

"What?"

"Can you say that again?"

"Sorry, I was talking to someone else, can you repeat that?"

Just some of my responses and I can go on for an hour. Why? I keep the scammer on the phone, wasting his time. Their only investment in their scams is time and the more I can waste it, the more it costs them. Yes, I'll 419 them from time to time.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

You might want to change your Amazon password just for an extra layer of safety.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
squirm

Post by squirm »

Just change your password and add 2FA at least for a little while.