Advice on WiFi vs. Wired at Home?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jasonrecite25

Advice on WiFi vs. Wired at Home?

Post by jasonrecite25 »

We are moving into a new home (new to us, built in 1988) in 2 weeks and wanted to get opinions regarding the advantages of wireless or wired connections for devices. The house has very accessible attics and crawlspaces underneath the home, so with some effort I could feasibly run hard line internet connections to various devices through the walls. I have only ever used WiFi in our current home due to complexities of running hard lines.

Our hew household equipment summary:
-We just had internet set up at the house at 100mbps up and 5mbps down (they also offer 500/10 and 940/10).
-ARRIS SURFboard (16x4) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem SB6183
-Eero Pro (3 stations, so far seems to have adequate coverage for the 5k sq. ft. home)

Our household use summary:
-Spouse works from home, ~4 hours per day on computer based conference calls and and ~2 hours per day on computer based video calls. Uses email and periodic access to company databases. All through dedicated VPN on a HP Elitebook 840 G5.
-I work from home and my usage is identical to my spouse, same laptop as well.
-We both have cell phones connected to WiFi during the day. Usage is primarily email, apps, etc. (no heavy video or games bandwidth usage).
-We both use a few hours of music streaming on our phones during the day on Spotify.
-Kids ages 7 and 3, no dedicated device usage... yet.
-We have a couple Roku streaming devices on TVs and run several hours a day of various video and live TV streaming services.
-Will probably spend more time with online video games as the kids get older.
-We use 4 Sonos units at various times throughout the week to play music.

Do you think beneficial to try and run hard lines to our work laptops? The streaming devices? If so, the primary Eero Pro that is connected to the modem only has 1 Ethernet out port... is there a "hub" that will work to access more output ports without jeopardizing bandwidth?
jebmke

Re: Advice on WiFi vs. Wired at Home?

Post by jebmke »

jasonrecite25 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:46 am is there a "hub" that will work to access more output ports without jeopardizing bandwidth?
A basic Ethernet switch would do this.

But if wifi is working for you, it may not make a difference.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Wired definitely has advantages, although a good wifi setup should be very close in reliability (ours is). If you're not doing other work that lends itself to putting in Ethernet at the same time, I would wait until you're able to see how well the wifi works first.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

You’re fine for now. If kids get into gaming make sure you don’t have a data cap.
delirium330

Post by delirium330 »

Thanks all. Will go WiFi for now. Sounds like a hardwire connection is as much about connection reliability as it is about speed/bandwidth benefits? I have worked from the new house for a few days and haven't had any reliability issues with the Eero units.

And we do have a data cap, which is adjustable so will keep an eye on that!
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Most people pay for Internet speed they never use. Regular video streaming runs no morethan 5 Mbps. High end video like 4K goes around 25 Mbps. There may be high end needs for some gaming but I am not into that. So your speed is fine.

Wifi works fine in most cases.
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

I prefer having some wired points in my house along with WiFi. I have all the bedrooms and Living room with one or more wired connections. More and more technology being released requires some kind of internet connection. It does not matter how good a wireless router is at some point it will become bogged down with too many devices taking up bandwidth.

I wired the living room so my Roku and Music Server have dedicated lines and never run into any streaming issues like I did with WiFi. The bedrooms I wired for the computers being used in them. I also use the wired Ethernet to run my POE Security cams. The only devices on WiFi are iPads, phones, the irrigation system, alarm system and garage door opener. Now I never have slow down or buffering issues when everyone is home and using up wireless bandwidth. Now with door locks, appliances and other devices all using WiFi I expect more and more people will have issues with WiFi and need to do at least some wired Ethernet in their home.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I see no advantage to taking on a technology related project if the current set up is working. Sure, you might want to make a change in the future. But, you have no idea what the best available solution will be at that future time. Eero, your current solution, was only founded in 2014, younger than one of your children.
lws

Post by lws »

Use the Wi-Fi.
brianH

Post by brianH »

In my 1980 colonial-style house, when I moved in I ran a few hard-wired connections: 2 CAT5e to our upstairs bedroom that is a dedicated office, 1 to a WIFI AP on top of the fridge, and 1 to the smart TV in the master bedroom. I'm a heavy Internet user and software professional, and I never saw the point of running millions of ethernet drops everywhere. Modern wireless is more than sufficient for most uses, and many devices are WIFI only at this point.

The fridge WIFI access point is centrally located in the home, and serves every room really well. If you have a larger house (mine is 2600sq/ft) or the arrangement is more stretched out than boxy, you might need more than one AP.

I don't know anything about your particular router/wireless AP, but mine (Ubiquiti) has a management screen that gives a general 'health' of the wireless. It lists the connected devices and how much of the available bandwidth they consume. Maybe you can check that out through the day during the heaviest usage and see if you're anywhere near the limits.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

I don't think there's a compelling reason to go wired anymore. There shouldn't be a speed advantage and there's plenty of bandwidth to stream 4K on multiple devices at once. Gaming and music streaming use very little data, so it's really all about streaming video. Unless you are simultaneously streaming 3 different 4k videos 24 hours per day, you won't notice a difference.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

WiFi will likely suit your needs but, depending on the size of your house, you might want to run a wire to one or two places that are far from your WiFi router in case you don't get a good WiFi signal in some far corner of the house. In the future you can put a WiFi access point, or a switch, at whatever remote area needs a little help.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

There is a speed advantage for wired if you transfer large files from your computer to other devices or vice versa. It is much faster than any WiFi router. Most people don't do that and WiFi in most situations is probably adequate.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Wifi is clearly better for portable devices, and as many have noted, it is now more than good enough for most home use. But for things that don't move much, like desktops, printers, TV sets, etc., ethernet is simpler, more reliable, more secure, provides more bandwidth, has no passwords to enter, and is much less likely to need replacing with next year's version. Provided you don't mind a few cables, anything you can pull off the wifi network means less congestion for the remaining devices. For chaining ethernet, you can use a switch, for example

https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-sg105 ... 6833704179

These require a power supply, so you can't put them just anywhere.
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

Despite what's written on wifi router boxes, wired ethernet is better than wireless in almost every way - except for cost and convenience. The general rule of thumb is that as long as it's not too expensive or inconvenient, run ethernet cable where you can and keep the wifi distances as short as possible. This is a good primer:

https://dongknows.com/home-wi-fi-router-setup/

Here's the reality:

- In reality wifi connections almost never live up to the advertising because of distance, RF interference, walls, ceilings, floors etc.. There is a ton of RF interference in a home e.g. microwave oven, cordless phones, neighbor's wifi, etc..

- Internet connection will be limited by the slowest link. So it doesn't matter if your wifi mesh is 5 GHz wifi 6 - but your laptop won't be able to take advantage of if it is wifi 5 and it's so far away from the source that only a 2.4 GHz signal can reach it.

- Download speed is not the only important metric. Having low latency, jitter and packet loss is really important for bi-directional data - like for video calls. A problem with any of those will cause problems with VOIP, video conferencing, gaming, and streaming. A router with QoS (Quality of Service) can help a little, but the longer the distance wifi has to cover, the worse the signal quality. If the wifi has high jitter and latency and everybody is on a Zoom call and then somebody microwaves a burrito - well, it's not going too well even if the download/upload speed is 1Tb.

- For a mesh system, there are 2 connection: 1) backhaul = between the primary router and the satellite units; and 2) fronthaul = between the router/satellites and the devices. If the both backhaul and fronthaul is wifi, might double any wifi problems with speed, latency, jitter and packet loss. Also, if the wifi mesh system does not have a dedicated wifi band that is exclusively used for backhaul, then backhaul and fronthaul has to share the same band - resulting is poorer connections. Having wired ethernet backhaul solves the problem.

- If there are multiple floors or a spread out floorplan, it may make sense to use wifi mesh. Using ethernet backhaul to connect the primary router to the mesh satellites will give the best performance. Run cat 6 to central locations on each floor where the routers and satellites can be placed for minimal interference.
Last edited by smackboy1 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I am assuming you have the down speeds and up speeds switched - i.e., you are at 100 down 5 up.

I have both wifi and wired at my house. Wifi is much more convenient and suitable for most things. I use a wifi connection for work with a very similar setup as your wife. No issues.

The wired connections provide for two things. One, my two sons are into PC gaming and a wired connection just works better. It’s not really data speed but rather the ping that is better for gaming. Two, we plugged a second wifi router in at the end of one of the wired connections to provide better wifi coverage throughout the house. This is mostly a function of the shape of the house and where the first wifi router is located.

We don’t have any issues with streaming devices using the wifi.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

bertilak wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:54 pm WiFi will likely suit your needs but, depending on the size of your house, you might want to run a wire to one or two places that are far from your WiFi router in case you don't get a good WiFi signal in some far corner of the house. In the future you can put a WiFi access point, or a switch, at whatever remote area needs a little help.
+1. Or at least hit each floor.

I recently installed some hardwired IP cameras and was glad to have this. I installed a POE switch at the wired point, then could aggregate the camera wires (from the soffits, running through a kneewall) to this switch. From there, it went to the basement from pre-existing wiring. It would have been very difficult to get these cameras wired to the basement.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Consider the powerline approach. It works for us. See, for example: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... etworking/

It's pretty smart technology, using the AC wires in your house to transmit WiFi. (You have to plug directly into the sockets.) We have some trouble with powerline because our house uses two different 110 volt AC legs for some of the wiring. But even that became less of a problem when we upped our speed from 100 to 400 Mbps.
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

KyleAAA wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:52 pm I don't think there's a compelling reason to go wired anymore. There shouldn't be a speed advantage and there's plenty of bandwidth to stream 4K on multiple devices at once. Gaming and music streaming use very little data, so it's really all about streaming video. Unless you are simultaneously streaming 3 different 4k videos 24 hours per day, you won't notice a difference.
Probably the best reason to go wired (if needed) is to eliminate interference with other users in your neighborhood. For instance in my subdivision (single family homes, 0.25 acre lots) there typically 7 to 12 different wifi networks that I can observe on my laptop; the 2.4GHz channels are almost unusable due to all the interference.

Our son needed a really stable connection for gaming and had success using powerline adapters.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

jasonrecite25 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:46 am We are moving into a new home (new to us, built in 1988) in 2 weeks and wanted to get opinions regarding the advantages of wireless or wired connections for devices. The house has very accessible attics and crawlspaces underneath the home, so with some effort I could feasibly run hard line internet connections to various devices through the walls.
crawlspace here. I've been working on running physical cable to 2 jacks in the main living area so the router can be where I access internet the most- it helps the WIFI signal significantly. Easy to access due to the house design. Realistically only needed 1 jack to plug in the router but had some extra cable so not much of an issue.
cyclist

Post by cyclist »

WiFi is great, but it’s wise to be sure that at a minimum you have Ethernet runs in place for potential expansion in far-flung areas of the house. If the router is upstairs you might want a Ethernet switch or a network extender in a downstairs office, for example. (That’s exactly our situation a FIOS extender and Ethernet switch make life much better in our downstairs office.)

Cyclist
hand

Post by hand »

jasonrecite25 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:46 am Do you think beneficial to try and run hard lines to our work laptops? The streaming devices? If so, the primary Eero Pro that is connected to the modem only has 1 Ethernet out port... is there a "hub" that will work to access more output ports without jeopardizing bandwidth?
Hardwired *will* work, and Wifi *should* more than meet your current and future needs. I recommend splitting the difference with hardwiring for a couple centrally located wireless access points.

If labor is free, and you enjoy a good project, by all means, hardwire away with a preference for 1) Wireless Access Point locations (you will still need Wifi for phones etc.) 2) Work computers and 3) TVs / streaming media devices.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

My wife has moved her music teaching business on line and my son is doing an east coast music camp this summer via Zoom and other conferencing tools.

So I have spent the last couple months upgrading and making sure there is redundancy in our system.

For me Wired vs WiFi is not just a question of speed, it's also a question of simplicity and reliability.

Here's what I did:

1. Upgraded our connection from 100 Mbps to 1 Gbps--download and upload--altho the actual speeds I'm getting are in the 600-700 Mbps. It was an extra $10/month--$60 to $70. I was more concerned about bandwidth than speed.

2. Made sure all computers (including laptops) have wired Ethernet connections. Get a Cisco switch (not router) if you have more than one device to plug into a jack--you can also use the Ethernet ports on the back of the router.

3. Bought a second Linksys WRT3200ACM wireless router in case the current one fails--for phone/iPad connectivity.

4. Bought a couple 50' lengths of Ethernet cable just in case wireless fails and there is not an available jack nearby.

I have found that the wireless speed tests match the wired speed tests--but we use a first-rate router.

Given that our online activity involves music performance I also spent a lot of time trying out microphones and upgrading webcams, monitors and computer speakers.

It's been interesting.
Last edited by cowdogman on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

jrbdmb wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:48 am
KyleAAA wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:52 pm I don't think there's a compelling reason to go wired anymore. There shouldn't be a speed advantage and there's plenty of bandwidth to stream 4K on multiple devices at once. Gaming and music streaming use very little data, so it's really all about streaming video. Unless you are simultaneously streaming 3 different 4k videos 24 hours per day, you won't notice a difference.
Probably the best reason to go wired (if needed) is to eliminate interference with other users in your neighborhood. For instance in my subdivision (single family homes, 0.25 acre lots) there typically 7 to 12 different wifi networks that I can observe on my laptop; the 2.4GHz channels are almost unusable due to all the interference.

Our son needed a really stable connection for gaming and had success using powerline adapters.
Just switch the channel and that won't happen. 12 different wifi networks wouldn't be nearly enough to saturate all the channels. Gaming uses very little data so you don't need much.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

KyleAAA wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:36 pm

Just switch the channel and that won't happen. 12 different wifi networks wouldn't be nearly enough to saturate all the channels. Gaming uses very little data so you don't need much.
For 2.4 GHz there are only three unique channels that don't overlap (1, 6, 11) and some wifi routers will use two of those simultaneously to increase bandwidth. It really doesn't take that many users to create issues. (5.0 GHz is much better in that respect.)
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

It sounds like what have setup now works for your situation and home.

Wired connections are ideal for anything latency sensitive like Video conferencing, VoIP, Streaming Game Platforms, etc. However, Wired also can enhance your WiFi, perhaps significantly depending on your house, as you can configure multiple WiFi access points in your home and connect them to the wired connections for network backhaul, rather than wireless. In this way, the WiFi access points are all "wired" to a central switch, which you would connect to your router and modem. In our house, our basement would be mostly deadzone without wired backhaul, we also have an outdoor accesspoint for our backyard.

Another benefit of wired connections is that you can use PoE devices (Power over Ethernet), as long as you have a PoE switch. With PoE, the device just needs a CAT6 cable, no power connection necessary. This is great if you want to add outdoor security cameras under your roof, or outside your home. There are also WiFi access points that are PoE.

When I signed up for internet service (ATT Fiber) at our house when we first moved in, I had the installer bring the connection to a more strategic central location (unfinished portion of basement). So, it's worth asking if you want to relocate where the internet connection comes into your house. This is my network setup:

ATT Fiber Modem->ATT Pace Router (in L2 bridge mode)->Ubiquiti Security Gateway->Ubiquiti 16 port PoE switch->4x Ubiquiti PoE 802.11ac Access Points + 4x PoE 4k wired security cameras + PI-hole
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

Run wired to your access points, and wired to places with a ton of fixed location devices.

I have three wired ubiquiti access points, cables back haul to PoE switch connected to my router.

I also have wired drops to my home theater equipment and main TV credenza. Both places have small switches. Since everything needs ethernet (XboxOne, PS3, dish, receiver, Apple TV) it's nice to just plug them in.

I use wireless for everything else.
Jason95357

Post by Jason95357 »

If Wifi works fine, stick stick with it. Our cable modem and router/wifi is located in the southeast corner of the house. The northwest front of the house is spotty. This means constantly getting knocked off for the devices streaming for TV in the living room, and the Ring doorbell always complaining. We temp added a Wifi extender upstairs about the middle of the house. This isn't ideal as it cuts the wifi bandwidth in half, but it more than doubled the range.

Long-term plan is to get MoCA adapters working and re-use the home's internal coax. Then the Wifi extender upstairs can be connected via the gig ethernet of the MoCA adapter and devices connected to it won't do a double-hop which cuts the Wifi speed in half. I've started on this, but then found odd things with the coax in the house with not everything being connected to the CableTV MPOE because of screwy Dish wiring. Going to tap into a Master Bedroom run in the attic that does go to the CableTV MPOE. I'll use a coax splitter and then run a drop along the inside of the attic to the front of the house and drop it the closet of a front-middle "game" room and put a switch to hardwire devices in that room and the Wifi extender at that point to service the front of the house. Just need a cool day to do that attic work. It's pretty minimal work now that I have a coax cable terminator.

https://www.actiontec.com/wifihelp/wifi ... i-want-it/
jocdoc

Post by jocdoc »

I have wifi for most of my house but was inadequate for gaming. I solved that by using my home power lines to get faster connections for gaming that I couldn't get via wifi. I hooked my router to a power line adapter and in another room I have another powerline adapter that hardwires my TV and PS4. The through put is not as fast as CAT but easier to install. The second powerline adapter also doubles as a extension for wifi signal. This may work for you.
JC
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

Jason95357 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:33 pm If Wifi works fine, stick stick with it. Our cable modem and router/wifi is located in the southeast corner of the house. The northwest front of the house is spotty. This means constantly getting knocked off for the devices streaming for TV in the living room, and the Ring doorbell always complaining. We temp added a Wifi extender upstairs about the middle of the house. This isn't ideal as it cuts the wifi bandwidth in half, but it more than doubled the range.

Long-term plan is to get MoCA adapters working and re-use the home's internal coax. Then the Wifi extender upstairs can be connected via the gig ethernet of the MoCA adapter and devices connected to it won't do a double-hop which cuts the Wifi speed in half. I've started on this, but then found odd things with the coax in the house with not everything being connected to the CableTV MPOE because of screwy Dish wiring. Going to tap into a Master Bedroom run in the attic that does go to the CableTV MPOE. I'll use a coax splitter and then run a drop along the inside of the attic to the front of the house and drop it the closet of a front-middle "game" room and put a switch to hardwire devices in that room and the Wifi extender at that point to service the front of the house. Just need a cool day to do that attic work. It's pretty minimal work now that I have a coax cable terminator.

https://www.actiontec.com/wifihelp/wifi ... i-want-it/
I can vouch for Moca 2.0, I'm using it to put wired backhaul for an AP downstairs in a spot I can't get an ethernet cable into. I'm using the Motorola Moca 2.0 adapters, and they just work. Like I hooked them up and haven't had to think about them in a year.
Balefire

Post by Balefire »

Had Netgear mesh wifi at my old house with WiFi back haul. Periodic rare unreliability was par for the course.

At my new house I setup a wired backhaul for my Netgear mesh.
I also setup wired to each fixed device (TV's and PCs).
Couldn't be happier. 100% reliable and no issues with gaming speed or streaming 4k.
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

Our two desktop computers are within ten feet of our modem and router, so we use ethernet connections for them. Our three laptops roam the house with wifi. This works fine for us. If we need to download something big we use our desktops or take a laptop to the router. We keep an extra ethernet cable with a laptop adapter plugged into our router.

Our router is at one end of the house and we have a two story, six foot wide, cement block chimney going up the middle of our house with the bedrooms behind it, distant from the router. Our previous Apple Time Capsule router needed an ethernet-wired Airport extension to get a good wifi signal to our bedrooms. Now we have an Asus RT-AC86U router that provides a good signal everywhere all by itself. We considered MESH, but it appears we don't need it with the Asus router.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

jrbdmb wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:01 pm
KyleAAA wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:36 pm

For 2.4 GHz there are only three unique channels that don't overlap (1, 6, 11) and some wifi routers will use two of those simultaneously to increase bandwidth. It really doesn't take that many users to create issues. (5.0 GHz is much better in that respect.)
Sure, the rest overlap. But most routers will default to 6 and almost nobody ever changes it. If you were to analyze the traffic, I would bet money switching to 11 would solve everything. I've done that successfully with far more than 12 wifi networks showing up. MacOS has a feature to find the best channel built in, and it's trivial to do for Windows and Linux, too.
3of10

Post by 3of10 »

telemark wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 am Wifi is clearly better for portable devices, and as many have noted, it is now more than good enough for most home use. But for things that don't move much, like desktops, printers, TV sets, etc., ethernet is simpler, more reliable, more secure, provides more bandwidth, has no passwords to enter, and is much less likely to need replacing with next year's version. Provided you don't mind a few cables, anything you can pull off the wifi network means less congestion for the remaining devices. For chaining ethernet, you can use a switch, for example

https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-sg105 ... 6833704179

These require a power supply, so you can't put them just anywhere.
+1. I've recently gone to using wifi for my printer and it's made a big difference in flexibility for everyone in the house. The house is already pre-wired for ethernet, which I will sometimes use when the wifi connection becomes weak, need faster speed, or better security (comes in handy when working from home).