Repairing a hole in plastic kiddie pool

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hoops777

Repairing a hole in plastic kiddie pool

Post by hoops777 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:51 pm

I was dumping the last of the water in the roses and hit a thorn in the top part of the pool. So a small hole in a section with air only. There are two other sections below it and they are fine. It is a common 2 small kids pool that has 3 brightly colored rings of air around the perimeter almost like thick balloons.
I saw a bunch of solutions on the internet but trust the bh forum more :D
The grandkids return a Monday.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

livesoft

Re: Repairing a hole in plastic kiddie pool

Post by livesoft » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:57 pm

What is the exact material that needs to be patched because that might dictate the kind of glue and patch to apply. For instance, polyurethane-coated nylon is different from silnylon is different from silpoly is different from other things.

OTOH, maybe just put a thin coat of Shoe-goo on it, let dry. Repeat 2 more times, then add a piece of Tenacious Tape or Gorilla Tape over it. Even a waterproof band-aid might work. There are many air mattress repair kits, but matching the actual fabric material with the right glue would be helpful.

And how's that for BH response? Most people would read the above and go, "Ugh! I just wanted to patch a little hole and not get a lesson in Materials Science!"
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:03 pm

Yup. ....and vinyl has another patch kit. I use that Goop glue on almost anything but wood. I would glue on a patch with it, then cover the patch and surrounding area with another layer of Goop.....

Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:18 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:57 pm
What is the exact material that needs to be patched because that might dictate the kind of glue and patch to apply. For instance, polyurethane-coated nylon is different from silnylon is different from silpoly is different from other things.

OTOH, maybe just put a thin coat of Shoe-goo on it, let dry. Repeat 2 more times, then add a piece of Tenacious Tape or Gorilla Tape over it. Even a waterproof band-aid might work. There are many air mattress repair kits, but matching the actual fabric material with the right glue would be helpful.

And how's that for BH response? Most people would read the above and go, "Ugh! I just wanted to patch a little hole and not get a lesson in Materials Science!"
Thanks. It is just one of those cheap kiddie wading pools made out of some kind of vinyl plastic. One option I saw that I was considering was using a glue gun without any glue to melt it together. The only water that will get on it is just the splashing and when they love squirting all the water on me. Unfortunately no shoe-goo but I do have duct tape.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:33 pm

Clear packing / shipping tape works well for that type of repair (above the water line).

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:28 pm

Can't recall the name but the clear tape the guy makes the boat out of on TV.

evad

Post by evad » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:49 pm

The kids thought it would be cool if the dog jumped in within hours of purchasing. Her claw tore a small hole in the top, my wife was beyond upset. I just placed a small piece of electrical tape over the hole until I can do a more permanent fix. To my surprise it has held up from multiple refills and dumps. I may just leave it.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:06 pm

I'd look for a repair kit for a blow up mattress.
Walmart has one for air mattress or a waterbed

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Waterbed-air ... -5EALw_wcB

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:10 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:28 pm
Can't recall the name but the clear tape the guy makes the boat out of on TV.
Flex Tape pitched by Phil Swift
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzN6FM5x_E

Westwing

Post by Westwing » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:55 pm

Best stuff ever. Called Tear-Aid. Purchased at our local Fleet and Farm store.

Carter3

Post by Carter3 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:24 am

Flex-seal. I did it on ours and it's great

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:00 am

Yep, Flex Seal tape. The name came to me after I went to bed. Slow but not totally out of it yet!

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:10 am

Unless you already have the repair materials, you'll spend almost as much on repair as you likely would in a new kiddie pool. I'd recommend you just get a new one if there is a store near you with one in stock.

If repair is your only option, I agree you should try the Flex Tape.

Post by 999 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:08 am

Maybe a bike tire tube patch kit?

Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:42 am

Thanks for all the replies. Yes the materials to buy to fix it cost almost as much as the pool.

Carter3

Post by Carter3 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:46 am

What? Flex seal is cheap. It's at Walmart

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:18 am

Duct tape will work. Make sure the pool is dry when you tape, and it should stick even if it gets wet later.

But a new pool is probably the correct answer.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:28 am

I would also vote just placing some duct tape, tenacious tape, or flex seal over the hole and calling it a day.

Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:42 am

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts about using a clean hot glue gun tip with no glue to melt it together? The whole is very small from a thorn, so slightly bigger than a pin prick.

LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:30 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:42 am
Just curious if anyone has any thoughts about using a clean hot glue gun tip with no glue to melt it together? The whole is very small from a thorn, so slightly bigger than a pin prick.
That sounds like it would work... I think the issue will be the "pucker" or stress point it creates when it's filled with air (and then the pressure increases/decreases as the kids use the pool - compress/decompress the air filled section.)

If it was me - I'd attempt using tape I have at home to cover the hole. I have some clear packing tape and duct tape. If that didn't fix it I'd go to the hot glue gun. (I might even put a bit of tape over the "melted together" section just to give it some 'strength' ). I suspect if the glue gun fails - you'll be buying a new pool.

I just thought maybe I'd use a hair dryer to heat up and make the vinyl/plastic more supple before using the glue gun (and maybe even before applying the tape fix).

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:35 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Try it. But I think you'll have better luck with some tape or glue to add some material, your melting idea may just create more/smaller/moved holes. Air is small.

JonnyB

Post by JonnyB » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:41 pm

hoops777 wrote:
You are more likely to just make a bigger hole if you try to melt it.

For something non-critical like a kiddie pool, just use whatever you have handy in the house. Shoe Goo or AquaSeal will work. Duct tape will work. Black electrical tape is good because it is vinyl and sticks to itself. Even packing tape as someone suggested will probably work for a while -- when it fails, pull it off and put on a fresh patch.

For more critical stuff I use Tear-Aid -- Type B for vinyl and Type A for everything else. I have used it to repair whitewater rafts on multi-week expeditions where our lives depended on it. Probably not the case for a kiddie pool.

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:40 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:51 pm
I was dumping the last of the water in the roses and hit a thorn in the top part of the pool. So a small hole in a section with air only. There are two other sections below it and they are fine. It is a common 2 small kids pool that has 3 brightly colored rings of air around the perimeter almost like thick balloons.
I saw a bunch of solutions on the internet but trust the bh forum more :D
The grandkids return a Monday.
Not sure if this would work on vinyl/plastic, but Stan’s no tubes sealant for bike tires is cheap, easy to use, and seals punctures from the inside. Just a thought. Good luck.
Performance = Potential - Distraction

Carter3

Post by Carter3 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:13 pm

JonnyB wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:41 pm
hoops777 wrote:
You are more likely to just make a bigger hole if you try to melt it.

For something non-critical like a kiddie pool, just use whatever you have handy in the house. Shoe Goo or AquaSeal will work. Duct tape will work. Black electrical tape is good because it is vinyl and sticks to itself. Even packing tape as someone suggested will probably work for a while -- when it fails, pull it off and put on a fresh patch.

For more critical stuff I use Tear-Aid -- Type B for vinyl and Type A for everything else. I have used it to repair whitewater rafts on multi-week expeditions where our lives depended on it. Probably not the case for a kiddie pool.
+1 it will make it bigger likely

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:19 pm

$6 dollars at Walmart, buy a new one.....
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:29 am

nalor511 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:35 pm
Air is small.
This statement is why I love Bogleheads. True, obvious, and profound, all at the same time.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:57 pm

LittleMaggieMae wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:30 pm
hoops777 wrote:
That sounds like it would work... I think the issue will be the "pucker" or stress point it creates when it's filled with air (and then the pressure increases/decreases as the kids use the pool - compress/decompress the air filled section.)
This sounds like a bigger hole to me.