Trade in iPhone 6s Plus for $350 off iPhone 11?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
anthonyphamy

Trade in iPhone 6s Plus for $350 off iPhone 11?

Post by anthonyphamy »

Good evening and happy Friday everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well, and I come to this forum seeking advice, as this forum has been a wealth of knowledge so far. I currently have an iPhone 6s Plus that works fairly well. All the functions work properly, except for the main camera which can't focus with certain applications, including the main camera application. The battery life is fairly poor, although I keep it plugged in most times which doesn't bother me. I have been keeping an eye the Google Pixel 3a or Pixel 4a (when it does release). I have always been an iPhone user, but was thinking about using this new phone as an opportunity to try Android.

Today, I contacted T-Mobile regarding a different issue, and was notified that due to my tenure with T-Mobile, they are offering me $350 to trade in my iPhone 6s Plus towards any iPhone X or 11 (deal ends 6/28/20). The only iPhone I would consider purchasing with the deal would be the iPhone 11, normally costing $700 but with the trade in deal drop it to a total of $350. Conversely, If I were to trade in my current iPhone through the Apple website I'd get $100 value and ~$75 on the Google website. Unfortunately, the Google Pixel 4a release has been postponed. While the iPhone 12 set to release this fall, is expected to be a big update. The current Amazon prices for the Google Pixel 3a XL is $385 is comparable.

My question for the group is, would you recommend I take this deal as an opportunity to trade in my current iPhone 6s Plus for a iPhone 11 (total price of $350 after trade in), wait until iPhone 12 is released, or something else (eg, purchase the Google Pixel 3a, wait for the Google Pixel 4a)?

Thank you very much in advance,
Anthony
jjface

Re: Trade in iPhone 6s Plus for $350 off iPhone 11?

Post by jjface »

This group is very pro apple so you'll get many saying yes jump at the chance or get a ip 12.

Personally I'd wait for the 12 at this point in the cycle if you go with apple unless the se 2020 catches your eye (though it is small compared to what you are used to).

I have a pixel 3a and it is a great phone. I prefer it over the iphone 11 I have but I like android better and don't like notches. I'd wait for the 4a if they ever launch the thing though as well. Might as well though there will be no XL version. So you may want to just get the 3axl.since you prefer plus sized phones
Immafreak

Post by Immafreak »

the price of iphone 11 will drop after the 12 comes out. If you have a working phone, I would just wait to get the latest one. I don't think it would drop by $350 maybe $250...but at least you'll get the latest spec.

I've had google phones for many years and their batteries always gave out after a 1.5-2 years. I also had issues where they would reset randomly. I've had my iphone xs for almost 2 years and I think i only had 2 resets. I had an iphone 2 and it lasted 3 years. The quality of apple phones are good and worth the premium...I mean, your still using an iphone 6s which says something.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

I'd take the $350 trade in option. That sounds like much more money than you'd get trying to sell it yourself today. You've been using an older phone for a long time -- having the latest and greatest is not apparently your thing so no need to wait for the 12. The 11 will last you a long time, 4 or 5 years in my estimation.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Option 1: Take the 11 offer. T-mobile is giving you $350 for it. It costs you $350.

Option 2: Wait until 12 comes out. Based on last year's T-Mobile offers, you can expect to get $100 on trade-in for the 6s+. Assuming the new 12 costs $700 as well, it'll cost you $600.

Option 3: Take the 11 offer and wait until 12 comes out. Let's say you take the offer and regret it next year in January because the 12 turns out to to be the next best thing since sliced bread. Based on last year's T-Mobile offers, you can trade-in an 1 year old iPhone for a free 12 on a 24 month credit commitment. I assume your current offer is also being paid via 24 month bill credits. That means you'll need to complete the term first before you can qualify for a new offer or you forego the credits.

Let's say you forego the credits and pay off the balance of the phone. $700/24 x 7 months = ~$205 has been paid by January when you can get an iphone 12. If you off pay the balance $495 + ~$102 what you already paid = ~$600 That's the same as Option 2 waiting for the 12.

Take the offer. It's a fantastic deal. If you really want the 12, do it again in January.
scoreboard

Post by scoreboard »

I just bought a 32gb iPhone 6s online for my son. I paid $108 with tax. $350 is a great trade in price.
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

Is it $350 off or up to $350 off. DS did a similar deal with T-Mobile and received considerable less than the up to value.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Does the $350 trade-in offer have any entanglements (ie does it have small print that makes you extend your obligation to T-Mobile)?

If not, it seems to me to be a great deal. Last year I did a trade-in of my 6s at the Apple Store for a new iPhone 11 (outright purchase), they only gave me $100 trade-in value.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Do you get $350 off up front? Or is it over a series of statement credits? T-Mobile likes to do the latter, which is kind of like signing a contract for 24 months or whatever. What are you paying for T-Mobile service? Mint Mobile gives you the same T-Mobile service for $15/mo (for 3GB/mo, there are other tiers). I like to separate the phone decision from the carrier decision, because mixing the two up is how they get you to overpay. :happy
scoreboard

Post by scoreboard »

Valid point regarding getting locked into a long term contract. That would make the $350 not worth it to me.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

anthonyphamy wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:09 pm Good evening and happy Friday everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well, and I come to this forum seeking advice, as this forum has been a wealth of knowledge so far. I currently have an iPhone 6s Plus that works fairly well. All the functions work properly, except for the main camera which can't focus with certain applications, including the main camera application. The battery life is fairly poor, although I keep it plugged in most times which doesn't bother me. I have been keeping an eye the Google Pixel 3a or Pixel 4a (when it does release). I have always been an iPhone user, but was thinking about using this new phone as an opportunity to try Android.

Today, I contacted T-Mobile regarding a different issue, and was notified that due to my tenure with T-Mobile, they are offering me $350 to trade in my iPhone 6s Plus towards any iPhone X or 11 (deal ends 6/28/20). The only iPhone I would consider purchasing with the deal would be the iPhone 11, normally costing $700 but with the trade in deal drop it to a total of $350. Conversely, If I were to trade in my current iPhone through the Apple website I'd get $100 value and ~$75 on the Google website. Unfortunately, the Google Pixel 4a release has been postponed. While the iPhone 12 set to release this fall, is expected to be a big update. The current Amazon prices for the Google Pixel 3a XL is $385 is comparable.

My question for the group is, would you recommend I take this deal as an opportunity to trade in my current iPhone 6s Plus for a iPhone 11 (total price of $350 after trade in), wait until iPhone 12 is released, or something else (eg, purchase the Google Pixel 3a, wait for the Google Pixel 4a)?

Thank you very much in advance,
Anthony
I would. I would also probably try to hold off until iPhone 12.
j9j

Post by j9j »

If no other gotchas with T-Mobile, I would take the $350 trade in offer. make sure they don’t screw up your plan and are ok with bill credits.

Even if you wanted to get the iPhone 12 in a few months or the iphone after that, the 11 will still be worth close to $350. The 6s will soon be not even worth $100 soon.
Topic Author
anthonyphamy

Post by anthonyphamy »

Good morning everyone,

As always, I am overwhelmed with the advice and time put into everyone’s responses. I greatly appreciate it very much. Regarding some of the questions above:

1. Mmmodem, thank you very much for the breakdown. That was very helpful!
2. GuyInFL, From my understanding, it is straight $350 off, not up to $350 off.
3. Oldcomputerguy, I don’t believe there are any entanglements, other than having to stay with T-Mobile for the full $350 over 24 monthly credits.
4. O2nz, The $350 if given over 24 monthly statement credits. I am currently on a grandfathered Simple Choice plan ($25 per month per line, for unlimited texting, calling and 4 gb/month of 4G LTE). I’m really happy with my plan so far, and I plan on sticking with it as long as I possibly can. Per the T-Mobile rep, I still qualify for the deal with my current plan and do not need to change my plan. Thanks for the recommendation of Mint Mobile, it looks like a great, inexpensive plan, and something I may consider in the future. What I do enjoy about my current T-Mobile Simple Choice plan is it also has free international data, albeit slow, and texting.

From everyone’s comments and advice, I believe I will take T-Mobile up on the deal for the iPhone 11, even though I was planning on trying an Android next and waiting a bit. It seems like too great of a deal to not take.

Again, thank you everyone for the advice and time. I truly do appreciate the kindness and support of this forum.

Thanks,

Anthony
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

how much trade in would they give you for the Iphone SE (2020)?
Topic Author
anthonyphamy

Post by anthonyphamy »

The trade in deal only applies when purchasing the iPhone X or 11 lines.