Warm slippers/ socks?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
alex123711

Warm slippers/ socks?

Post by alex123711 »

I get really cold feet and even with socks and uggboots on they seem to stay cold, any other ideas what i could try? I thought about trying duck down slippers or something
Flobes

Re: Warm slippers/ socks?

Post by Flobes »

You might fund some helpful answers in this previous thread Cold Feet.
thecarrotfund

Post by thecarrotfund »

Smart Wool socks.
Sorel Pac Boots
"not all storms are in the forecast"
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Interesting summer topic. Are you from the Southern Hemisphere?
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

If this is for outdoor wear, search mickey mouse boots on amazon. (I used them for winter mountaineering when I was younger, much younger, and my feet were never even chilled, much less cold). But these are not so good if the problem is poor circulation even when indoors.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

alex123711 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:30 am I get really cold feet and even with socks and uggboots on they seem to stay cold, any other ideas what i could try? I thought about trying duck down slippers or something
I too get cold feet in the evenings while sitting. A few years ago my daughter bought me sheepskin slippers from this place, and they are wonderfully warm. They come in neoprene sole or sheepskin sole, made in Montana.

http://hpsheepskin.com/
bglhdism

Post by bglhdism »

Glerups. Good for the cold-footed, made of merino wool from New Zealand and Denmark. A little pricey but very well made and warm as anything. I have friends who can't wear them because their feet sweat while wearing them.
https://www.glerups.com
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

RetiredAL wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:39 pm
alex123711 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:30 am I get really cold feet and even with socks and uggboots on they seem to stay cold, any other ideas what i could try? I thought about trying duck down slippers or something
I too get cold feet in the evenings while sitting. A few years ago my daughter bought me sheepskin slippers from this place, and they are wonderfully warm. They come in neoprene sole or sheepskin sole, made in Montana.

http://hpsheepskin.com/
I use similar in the winter. Wonderfully warm.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

bglhdism wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:48 pm Glerups. Good for the cold-footed, made of merino wool from New Zealand and Denmark. A little pricey but very well made and warm as anything. I have friends who can't wear them because their feet sweat while wearing them.
https://www.glerups.com
Wow, these look great. (I love wool socks. Gotta try shoes!)
Last edited by Dottie57 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bratbill

Post by Bratbill »

Wigwam made in USA and great !
Topic Author
alex123711

Post by alex123711 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:56 pm Interesting summer topic. Are you from the Southern Hemisphere?
Yep :)
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

Have you tried the ugg boots without socks? I find they are warmer without sox. The sheepskin lining needs to touch bare feet for max effect, like sheepskin slippers.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I usually trust Wirecutter, but I got burned on slippers.

Paid nearly $100 for the pair of moccasins they recommended from LL Bean.
After 1 1/2 seasons they were stretched out to the point that they no longer felt warm, my feet were swimming in them (they initially fit snugly), and the lining was so matted down as to be worthless. Plus the moccasin laces come loose daily and the stitching was even coming loose on the sides.

I took them back to LL Bean given their "great return policy"....they told me they could see that they were "well-loved" and wouldn't take them back.

The fact is, though I wore them daily in winter I only wore them in the house and never abused them. I bought my sweetie a pair of fleece lined slippers for about $30 with good reviews on Amazon that are equally worn and look fine (I would have gotten her LL Beans as well were it not for my bad experience). A no-brand from Amazon. I followed up, bought myself a similar pair. The LL Bean's stay in the closet.

Caveat emptor.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

alex123711 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:40 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:56 pm Interesting summer topic. Are you from the Southern Hemisphere?
Yep :)
OK. Carry on!
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

We have hardwood floors and stairs, and it is typically cold here, so I wear socks with treads on them bought from amazon. Not expensive, but wash well and wear well for at least a year, then tossed for new ones. They are fuzzy, warm, and the treads really help keep one from slipping. I wear them to bed in the winter.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

protagonist wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:02 pm I usually trust Wirecutter, but I got burned on slippers.

After 1 1/2 seasons they were stretched out to the point that they no longer felt warm, my feet were swimming in them (they initially fit snugly), and the lining was so matted down as to be worthless. Plus the moccasin laces come loose daily and the stitching was even coming loose on the sides.

I took them back to LL Bean given their "great return policy"....they told me they could see that they were "well-loved" and wouldn't take them back.

The fact is, though I wore them daily in winter I only wore them in the house and never abused them. I bought my sweetie a pair of fleece lined slippers for about $30 with good reviews on Amazon that are equally worn and look fine (I would have gotten her LL Beans as well were it not for my bad experience). A no-brand from Amazon. I followed up, bought myself a similar pair. The LL Bean's stay in the closet.

Caveat emptor.
To contrast this, I have had a pair of LL Bean moccasin slippers that I've worn almost daily for the past 3 years. In quarantine, I wear them now several hours a day. They are fantastic. I will agree that the laces come loose easily, but that doesn't bother me. At some point, I just snipped them so they were short enough to not touch the ground. I'm not looking for house shoes/slippers to be perfectly snug.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

mak1277 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:19 am
protagonist wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:02 pm I usually trust Wirecutter, but I got burned on slippers.

Caveat emptor.
To contrast this, I have had a pair of LL Bean moccasin slippers that I've worn almost daily for the past 3 years. In quarantine, I wear them now several hours a day. They are fantastic. I will agree that the laces come loose easily, but that doesn't bother me. At some point, I just snipped them so they were short enough to not touch the ground. I'm not looking for house shoes/slippers to be perfectly snug.
I bought these. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/112257? ... ate&pos=13

Maybe the moosehide would explain the stretching. But that would not explain the matting of the lining or the failure of the stitching.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

I got a pair of these 15 years ago from the kids. Very warm in winter when watching TV and so forth.
Look pretty goofy.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:26 pm I got a pair of these 15 years ago from the kids. Very warm in winter when watching TV and so forth.
Look pretty goofy.
j :happy
Warm and at the same time stylish!
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Put on a sweater! Seriously! Warm up your blood and if that's not enough, try a hat to reduce heat loss (thermals might help too). And walking, running or other activity to increase metabolism and circulation. What kind of ambient temperatures are you talking about? Indoor or outdoor? Wind? Wet?

Darn Tough says their Mountaineering is their thickest warmest sock: https://darntough.com/products/mountain ... 0180511623

If all fails, you're going to have to look towards active heated solutions.
https://www.rei.com/product/876310/hotr ... warmer-kit

And talk to your doctor; it might be a treatable medical condition.
Topic Author
alex123711

Post by alex123711 »

Limoncello402 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:14 am We have hardwood floors and stairs, and it is typically cold here, so I wear socks with treads on them bought from amazon. Not expensive, but wash well and wear well for at least a year, then tossed for new ones. They are fuzzy, warm, and the treads really help keep one from slipping. I wear them to bed in the winter.
Could you post the link?
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »