What is the single best piece of exercise equipment you bought for your home?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rgramma

Re: What is the single best piece of exercise equipment you bought for your home?

Post by rgramma »

Deadwood wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:09 pm A Concept 2 Model D rower.
+1 (or more like +5) on the Concept 2 rower. Model D; you don't really need the Model E.
Hoosierdom

Re: What is the single best piece of exercise equipment you bought for your home?

Post by Hoosierdom »

An Oculus Quest (virtual reality goggles), I bought them for the kids to play games with and had no inkling that it could be used for exercise. Then I found the boxing games: I sweat through my shirt in 15 minutes and the minute between rounds isn't enough to fully catch my breath. You have to duck and weave, and it measures how hard you hit, so you have to give it everything you have.
MAandMEMom

Post by MAandMEMom »

Same as others...Concept2 rower. I feel like that is the only item I must take when I sell my house and downsize.
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

Great list from everyone!

Mine are:
Kettlebells (15lb and 35lb)
Gym rings and straps (doubles as TRX trainer and pullup bar)
Theraband Resistance Bands
"Monster" bands
Yoga Mat
Youtube (for free Yoga and workouts... also AthleanX for specific exercises)
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

kiwi123 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:10 pm Great list from everyone!

Mine are:

Youtube (for free Yoga and workouts... also AthleanX for specific exercises)
+1 for AthleanX

That Jeff guy is incredible, but I don't think I will ever get to 0.000000000001% body fat like he must be. :happy
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

My IPhone. I use the 7 minute workout app.
zeal

Post by zeal »

Most versatile, most challenging, and arguably most fun? Definitely my pair of wooden gymnastic rings.

However, I will point out that I couldn't use them with such ease if I didn't also have a power rack.

And I will also point out that buying a house with a swimming pool and a basketball goal in the driveway has been very fun and largely taken care of all cardio needs. If I didn't have those, I'd probably be running (which I don't really enjoy anymore after running 2-5mi/day for ~9 years).

My next upgrades will be a set of adjustable dumbbells (up to 100 lbs each) and a punching bag. The downside of having rings as my main exercise equipment is that they don't offer much for improving leg strength. I have to use exercises like single leg/pistol squats, which are great but can easily cause injuries if you slack off in form... aside from the fact that they are incredibly difficult if you lack flexibility or balance. Dumbbells up to 200lbs should help with my squat game and punching bag would greatly benefit my heart when it's too cold to swim outside.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

Peloton bike.
It has been a lifesaver during the lockdown.
Van

Post by Van »

Stationary bike. In the basement.
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

I love my Weider 335 bench set, about twenty years old now.

I was a distance runner in college, so definitely not a weights guy, but it is fantastic to have this in the house. It's very convenient to do physio for various aches and pains, and to keep at a very basic strength level. I use it more as I get older. Squats are the greatest exercise ever.

For aerobic exercise, I go outside.

EDIT: just saw livesoft's post, and never thought about my running shoes as exercise equipment. :D
In that case, he's right: my seven (!) pair of running shoes are definitely my best equipment. Also, last Christmas I got a running watch for the first time since college. It's not necessary in the least, but I really like it.

What I have found not worthwhile: I've bought a few inexpensive things to exercise while doing something else (e.g., a small, non-electric stepper; some isometric ropes). While they all worked fine, I don't enjoy "exercising while doing something else." I don't even listen to music when I run: when I exercise, I want to enjoy the exercise.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

Golf practice mat with a net. I can take a full swing with up to a utility metal. Great for practice.

Now, maybe you have different exercise goals than I do. At some point I'll get a power rack and barbel for home. I anticipate at some point all the ones bought in March that went unused will find themselves on sale for a sharp discount.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
felzy5

Post by felzy5 »

Concept Rower for best in home.

And a Gravel grinding road bike to enjoy the great outdoor.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

X528 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:27 pm Swimming pool.

The next best:
A generic weight lifting set.
I'm jealous :D . That would be my first choice If I could put a swimming pool into my apartment.

Since I can't, my best piece of exercise equipment is my indoor rower. Rowing is almost as much fun as swimming. I enjoy it a lot more than any other exercise I've tried (including using an elliptical machine and running), probably because I'm using my entire body.
4ransom

Post by 4ransom »

80 yrs old, have used most of the things mentioned. Now I use a Landice treadmill, TV, and a VCR. Now I stroll along and watch a movie or TV show.
dewey

Post by dewey »

h82goslw wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:24 am
alfaspider wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:04 am
KlangFool wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:03 am
h82goslw wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 am
KlangFool wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 am My electric bike.

KlangFool
How is an electric bike a piece of exercise equipment?
h82goslw,

A) Instead of driving to the library, grocery store, and so on, it is faster and easier to get there with an electric bike.

B) For older folks, it extends the range of biking.

KlangFool
I've ridden centuries (100 mile rides) with 80+ year olds on non-electric bikes. Wouldn't it be better to just do those very same rides with a good conventional bike?

Agree with alfaspider. As one who has ridden many, many miles on a bike I’m not sure why someone would consider an electric bike a true form of exercise.
I have an e-bike and I ride with a bike club mostly. My Tuesday ride two days ago was 24 miles and I didn't touch the e power. I try to use as little pedal assist as possible because I'm trying to get as much exercise as possible. BUT--on occasion there is a hill that is too much. Or, a strong head wind for many miles. So for me the e-bike enables me to get excellent exercise but my 71 year old knees really appreciate the occasional assist. Keep in mind--an ebike is pedal assist which means you still have to pedal, which means getting exercise. Unless the bike has a throttle but you can't go very far if you only use that because it quickly drains the battery.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
Matt62

Post by Matt62 »

Another plug for the Concept 2. Hits most muscle groups, low impact, easy to store away so minimal footprint. Wish I had bought one sooner.
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 am My electric bike.

KlangFool
h82goslw,

A) Instead of driving to the library, grocery store, and so on, it is faster and easier to get there with an electric bike.

KlangFool
I've ridden centuries (100 mile rides) with 80+ year olds on non-electric bikes. Wouldn't it be better to just do those very same rides with a good conventional bike?

Agree with alfaspider. As one who has ridden many, many miles on a bike I’m not sure why someone would consider an electric bike a true form of exercise.

I'm 74 and got an electric bike last summer after riding a Bianchi road bike for many years. Yes, you don't get the max workout on an electric bike. But I'm beyond that now. I'm not training for centuries. I can get a fine workout on the e-bike. You can ride as much as you want without the assist, which I do all the time. And now I find that I go 20-25 miles instead of 15 and enjoy it much more. Isn't that the idea?
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
cableguy

Post by cableguy »

Pull Up / Dip/ Crunch Station
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

After further thought, have to revise my previous post.

Definitely the single best piece of exercise equipment I’ve ever bought for my home is my mattress!
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

h82goslw,

KlangFool

This is all pretty judgemental, as if there is only one proper way to exercise. Bikes are quite popular in the Netherlands, and last year for the first time more electrical bikes were sold than conventional. I know many seniors, even serious cyclists, who use them to extend the range just as Klang mentions. They certainly still get a fair amount of exercise when using one. As an example, for two of our neighbors it means they can now bike an hour each way to work rather than take a car. They are getting in a real workout.

Full disclosure: I still stick with my conventional bike. 8-)

EDIT: as it seems some people don't realize that you get a workout on an e-bike. This might be interesting:

"Riding both types of bikes “placed the vast majority of participants in the vigorous-intensity heart rate zone,” the study authors concluded. The average heart rate of a test subject riding an e-bike was 93.6 percent of those riding conventional bikes. Moreover, electric bikes appear to be an “excellent form of aerobic or cardiovascular exercise, even for experienced mountain bikers who regularly engage in this fitness activity.”"
Last edited by sean.mcgrath on Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

A bike to cycle to a proper gym and pool.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

CrossOverGuy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:36 am Nordictrack ski machine bought in the 1980s -- still works. No electric parts, gives a very good aerobic workout. I don't know why they stopped making them though, since years ago there were studies that cross-country skiing gave the best cardio workout.
I've got one of those and yes it still works fine. Recently I've been more about outside long walks to get my DW involved but I want to get back on the NordicTrack.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

By far the sIngle best piece of exercise equipment I bought for my home was TRX suspension straps. Basically you use your body weight to exercise. The advantages are endless. For example, I continued to work out despite the epidemic at home. You can exercise all major body parts. You can basically work out anywhere at any time so when I travel I always bring the straps with me. They take almost no room. You can get an off brand suspension straps for less than $100. If you’re like most people and for whatever reason you don’t use them it’s only $100.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Cycle wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:44 am Pull-up rings or bar hanging from rafters. Dip station.

A heavy kettle bell
What is heavy? How much generally?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

which e-bike brand is good ? any recommendation
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

tetractys wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:22 pm After further thought, have to revise my previous post.

Definitely the single best piece of exercise equipment I’ve ever bought for my home is my mattress!
Ha!
corn18

Post by corn18 »

core4portfolio wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:57 pm which e-bike brand is good ? any recommendation
The Electric Bike Review site has a lot of good recommendations, reviews and a very active forum. Might be worth a visit and intro. You will get lots of great feedback. And the ebike market changes fast and the folks on EBR seem to stay up to speed.

https://electricbikereview.com
Don't do something, just stand there!
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

core4portfolio wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:57 pm which e-bike brand is good ? any recommendation
So many choices now. I got a Magnum Metro. Built like a tank, really solid with front shocks. It has a throttle.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Merrell Men's Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
MittensMoney

Post by MittensMoney »

In the beginning of the stay-at-home stuff with COVID we decided to splurge on a Peloton. I know there're cheaper out there but it's a phenomenal piece of cardio equipment and despite the cost we're super happy we went for it.
FrankTheViking

Post by FrankTheViking »

Pullup / dip setup hands down
No EF. 80% Total U.S. / 20% Total International. 100% equity. Is there a gun to your head? Is there a tiger in the room? No? What's the problem?
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

tetractys wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:14 pm Using weights to overbuild of course is unnecessary and has been known for thousands of years so shorten longevity and increase discomfort in old age.
There is zero evidence either of these things is true. Sure, taking a bunch of steroids and HGH and going out for Mr. Universe is extremely unhealthy, as are many endeavors that push the human body to its absolute extreme limit. Same thing with running 100 mile ultramarathons through Death Valley or becoming a champion Sumo wrestler.

But a strength training program based utilizing the principles progressive overload utilizing time tested techniques is one of the greatest things you can do to increase your healthspan. Sedentary individuals will lose about 3-5% of their muscle mass per decade. That is a recipe for frailty in old age, which is a common cause of falls and injuries from ordinary household tasks.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying- ... 0fractures.
:wink:
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Probably either sneakers or swim trunks.

Or a larger beer stein (bicep curls).

The Muscle-building, Oktoberfest-winning Workout You Can Do With Cases of Beer
https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitn ... -hoisting/
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

Does a bicycle count as a piece of exercise equipment for the home if you start your ride at home? I also enjoyed the Peloton subscription which I used this spring when it was free. I'm totally not buying a Peloton bike but I can see why people love it so much.

On the e-bike debate: I'm really skeptical of the research that touts its fitness benefits as comparable to riding a regular bike. I have a commute with a few rolling hills that I regularly bike. A friend who lives nearby commutes it with an e-bike, which means he pedals on the flats, coasts downhill, and then uses the assist to fly up the hill home. There is no way taking out the hardest part of the commute gives you an equivalent workout. That said, its benefit seems to be that it replaces car trips, and creates that extra little bit of daily movement that keeps the extra pounds at bay (or lets you have an extra beer.)

(Totally agree with stoptothink though that nearly anyone can pull off a century. I did it on four months of riding and I have average athletic talent. Get an e-bike if you want, but don't sell yourself short.)
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

A set of kettlebells. Lighter ones for DW, "heavier" ones for me. The set lets you work up from light>heavy.

A percussion massager! This is wonderful in its own right, but great for loosening up and massaging the sore spots. I'm (almost) not minding the loss of massages during this lockdown...
Van

Post by Van »

A stationary bike. It's in the basement and gets used regularly. Very good general exercise and cardio.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

hudson wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:53 pm Merrell Men's Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
Can’t disagree with that. Those are the shoes I was going to wear to walk the Camino, before that trip got canceled.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Dumbbells, although I'm currently using my 3 year old in lieu of kettle bells :mrgreen:
Matigas

Post by Matigas »

Hitachi Magic Wand.
John88

Post by John88 »

Power Blocks which are adjustable dumbbells. But lately I installed a pull up bar which I also use with TRX type straps. So mostly bodyweight with pullups, pushups, etc.

You can accomplish a lot with just bodyweight, trx straps, and a pair of dumbbells.
dewey

Post by dewey »

getthatmarshmallow wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:41 pm Does a bicycle count as a piece of exercise equipment for the home if you start your ride at home? I also enjoyed the Peloton subscription which I used this spring when it was free. I'm totally not buying a Peloton bike but I can see why people love it so much.

On the e-bike debate: I'm really skeptical of the research that touts its fitness benefits as comparable to riding a regular bike. I have a commute with a few rolling hills that I regularly bike. A friend who lives nearby commutes it with an e-bike, which means he pedals on the flats, coasts downhill, and then uses the assist to fly up the hill home. There is no way taking out the hardest part of the commute gives you an equivalent workout. That said, its benefit seems to be that it replaces car trips, and creates that extra little bit of daily movement that keeps the extra pounds at bay (or lets you have an extra beer.)

(Totally agree with stoptothink though that nearly anyone can pull off a century. I did it on four months of riding and I have average athletic talent. Get an e-bike if you want, but don't sell yourself short.)
Let’s not over think this. People use their ebikes in different ways as several of us have noted. It’s not worlds apart from having a conventional bike and using the “easier to pedal” gears in different situations. Who uses their highest gear to climb the highest mountain on a conventional bike? Not the average Joe. I thought the thread was about getting good exercise. I get more exercise on my ebike than I did with no bike the previous 18 years. Prior to that I had a conventional bike and really enjoyed it—mostly as a commuter to my office weather permitting in MN. Ebike sales are on fire nationally for many reasons. Conventional bike sales have been receding. I’m not rooting for or against any bikes. Whatever gets you out there pedaling and getting some good exercise, I’m for it.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
mpsz

Post by mpsz »

I bought a set of Power Blocks and a Schwinn spinning bike. It took some time, but they both came back in stock shipped and sold by Amazon, so I got them for close to retail price. I'm probably never going back to my gym again, and these will pay for themselves in 18 months. Hopefully the added weight from quarantine snacking is gone well before those 18 months!
camillus

Post by camillus »

For me:

Rusty Olympic weight set off Craigslist for $150
$79 cheap squat stands
Ebike, 1700 miles over the past 12 months commuting & exploring
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

I bought a new Life Fitness cycle trainer. 2K. Paired it with free Peloton videos and I am having a blast. Really got me through the quarantine time.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Road bike
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

hirlaw wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:12 pm A set of resistance bands (the kind with handles). It comes with a door attachment to loop the bands thru. I was surprised how good a workout I have been getting!
Same here. I switched to resistance bands after my gym closed, and have found them to be effective for strength training with the added benefit that they work your core due to the need to stabilize your body. I do get a better bicep workout from dumbbells though.

I also use my pull up bar.

Last but not least, a tennis racket. I’ll move faster chasing after a ball than I ever would otherwise :)
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

getthatmarshmallow wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:41 pm On the e-bike debate: I'm really skeptical of the research that touts its fitness benefits as comparable to riding a regular bike. I have a commute with a few rolling hills that I regularly bike. A friend who lives nearby commutes it with an e-bike, which means he pedals on the flats, coasts downhill, and then uses the assist to fly up the hill home. There is no way taking out the hardest part of the commute gives you an equivalent workout. That said, its benefit seems to be that it replaces car trips, and creates that extra little bit of daily movement that keeps the extra pounds at bay (or lets you have an extra beer.)
Did you check out my link, marsh? It is pretty convincing.

Again full disclosure, I've never ridden one, but there are a lot of bike riders in the Netherlands, and I have spoken with many who now also have an e-bike. Every single one has maintained that they are still getting good workouts.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Perception is reality. The dusty one tucked away in the basement that inspires hope that one day it will be used.