Tipping Tree Trimming

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
New Providence

Tipping Tree Trimming

Post by New Providence »

We have a Tree Trimming service trimming pretty big trees in the backyard. There are four guys of the trimming service trimming the trees for $3,000

Should I tip them? And if so, how much would be appropriate to tip them? I assume that it would have to be the same amount for each one of them, even thought there's one who actually takes most of the risk. Of tree trimming group, only one guy climes the tree to trim it from the top.
regularguy455

Re: Tipping Tree Trimming

Post by regularguy455 »

No. You’re paying a considerable amount for their expertise, equipment and time.

When I’ve had folks perform professional services I thought were great, I left them a google review and recommended them to friends. This includes tree trimming.
Last edited by regularguy455 on Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I wouldn't, but I'm sure they'd appreciate some lemonade / coffee / cookies / whatever. Maybe if they did some thing truly over the top, but this is not a personal service they are providing you.
dpm321

Post by dpm321 »

Why do people think they need to tip everybody??
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

NO!

Why is this question even being asked? It's ridiculous.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

New Providence wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:58 am We have a Tree Trimming service trimming pretty big trees in the backyard.....
hopefully none of these are oak trees as they should not be trimmed until (preferably) November to prevent oak wilt.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

No, buy them drinks to hydrate, nothing else.
Topic Author
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

F150HD wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:22 am
New Providence wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:58 am We have a Tree Trimming service trimming pretty big trees in the backyard.....
hopefully none of these are oak trees as they should not be trimmed until (preferably) November to prevent oak wilt.
There are a variety of trees, so I'm not sure if there are any oaks. I didn't give much thought if this was the best time of the year to do this. In the past it has been difficult to get somebody to show up, so these guys were available.
JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni »

No, just pay the $3000 I'd imagine you have mini forest in the backyard...
squirm

Post by squirm »

If you feel like tipping them go right ahead, why would you feel you have to ask an online forum. Tree work isn't easy, it's not like their behind a desk and computer.
Buccaneer82

Post by Buccaneer82 »

I feel like if people start tipping contractors all the time they’ll start raising their rates. This should not be a thing!
AAA

Post by AAA »

What do you mean by "tree trimming?"
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Wondering how much I should tip my doctor. What do you think about a Christmas bonus for my lawyer just to let him know he's appreciated?

Enough with tipping people who set their own rates. This is way out of hand. You don't tip someone because the work is hard. They should set the rates based on difficulty among other factors.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:45 am Wondering how much I should tip my doctor.
$50 for the 15 minute visit should suffice. A little more for the urologist.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

I'd give them water, but frankly for $3,000 they ought to fill up a cooler the morning of.
If it were a neighborhood 14 year old picking up weeds in the backyard natural area during 95 degree heat, then sure, maybe you tip them.

Answer changes if they use their equipment to do an unrelated task, like remove a satellite dish or clean out your gutter real quick.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

What's with all the tipping?
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Serious question:

Does anyone actually LIKE the tipping culture in the US?

If so, why?
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

My daughter loved the tipping concept when she worked as a server in a high end restaurant during college. It can be very lucrative.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
Dontridetheindexdown

Post by Dontridetheindexdown »

We had a similar-sized tree job done earlier this spring.

I tipped each of 3 workers $50 and the foreman/climber $100 (all bills were folded, no amounts showing).

We also had an ice chest full of Gatorade and water for them, and we served 2 large "everything" pizzas at noon.

All 4 men were surprised and delighted!

They did not set the rate for the job, but they did complete a dangerous, difficult task.

They worked safely, and minimized damage to our property.

I know exactly how dangerous and difficult their job is because I cleared the area for our house, garage, and our fence lines 20 years ago.

I was much younger and stronger then.

The reason we invested assiduously during our working lives was to afford to pay for things we can no longer do as we age.

I agree with other posters that my physician and attorney do not get a tip, they are highly compensated professionals.

We generally tip waitstaff 100% of our restaurant bill, because they are not highly compensated.

We both worked very hard for many years, and we derive great satisfaction from rewarding people who work hard to help us.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

But why do you need to compensate above the set rate?

If they want more, charge more. Cold drinks are nice, but if I was providing the service, I would expect to take care of my own needs and not put the burden on the recipient of the service to water, feed, and tip me. That's part of offering a professional service / running a business. Not doing this is a failure.

If you want to be magnanimous, give anonymously to a reputable charity whose mission you support. If your own satisfaction is the driving force behind tipping, is that an altruistic motivation?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

No, don’t tip tree trimmers or house painters.
Topic Author
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

AAA wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:43 am What do you mean by "tree trimming?"
The real deal, 4 helmet-wearing guys. One nimble dude climbs to the top of the tree; hanging from there, one hand on the chainsaw, the other on the crucifix.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

This is strictly a personal choice; I would not say it is necessary by any means. I typically do not tip people performing this type of service but I will offer them cold drinks. I figure they are kind of on their own for lunch but I’ve made an extra burger for a guy doing an install that was running late over dinner.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

No. My tree guys almost always come when I'm not at home, so there isn't even an opportunity to tip them.

Once they charged me $200 less than the quoted price, because it didn't take as long as they expected.
AAA

Post by AAA »

New Providence wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:05 pm
The real deal, 4 helmet-wearing guys. One nimble dude climbs to the top of the tree; hanging from there, one hand on the chainsaw, the other on the crucifix.
That's how it's done but not what it is. Are you trimming branches or reducing the height of the trees?
yohac

Post by yohac »

Movers and furniture delivery guys are routinely tipped, but not tree guys? Not much logic to this system.
Joylush

Post by Joylush »

I’ve been through numerous tree trimming services because I owned 30 properties. Normally I do not tip but have on two occasions.

Both times it was because I felt I received a great value. One was a larger company and their four men worked their behinds off all day long doing a tremendous amount of work and were exceedingly conscientious. I directly paid each worker an extra $20 after asking the one in charge if that was ok.

The second time was to my current tree service who always gives me a great value. This is a smaller company. The owner does the work a well. They did an all day job for me which I expected to cost at least $1000. They charged me $750. I gave them an extra $100. More recently I got a quote for a larger job from a recommended provider. His estimate was for $11,800. I contacted my smaller company and their total cost for the exact same thing is $6,000. Take care of the ones who take care of you.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

yohac wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:55 pm Movers and furniture delivery guys are routinely tipped, but not tree guys? Not much logic to this system.
That's exactly the problem with tipping as a whole. There's no logic to any of it.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

If you do tip, *(but never to the owner) tell the employees before they start saying something like "if you do everything right, clean up everything, cause no damage I will be pleased to give you personally $xx extra. OK?"" [Have I done that? Yes, for moving van persons and roofers, but nothing else.] And, yes they did do great......one cracked plate on a full house move, for example."
Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.~ Delmore Schwartz
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

dpm321 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:08 am Why do people think they need to tip everybody??
+1. Paying them $3,000 for their seems enough. Give them some cold bottled water. I am sure they will appreciate that
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I never tip the guy who trims the tree in my Florida place. He comes whenever the H.O.A. tells him to.
This time was a big job and he couldn't go so he sent an "associate" or subcontractor. My brother was there
and he did a great job (as good as our regular guy). Plus he showed my bro some issues that could become a problem.
Al asked for a quote and he said no charge he could do it in 10-15 minutes.

So, he went above and beyond so I gave him $20. If the HOA had him come back for another visit
it always starts at $55 or so.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

New Providence wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:58 am We have a Tree Trimming service trimming pretty big trees in the backyard. There are four guys of the trimming service trimming the trees for $3,000

Should I tip them? And if so, how much would be appropriate to tip them? I assume that it would have to be the same amount for each one of them, even thought there's one who actually takes most of the risk. Of tree trimming group, only one guy climes the tree to trim it from the top.
No, I would not tip the tree trimmers.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

We've paid thousands of dollars for tree trimming and cutting down trees over the years--no tips paid.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

squirm wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:51 am If you feel like tipping them go right ahead, why would you feel you have to ask an online forum. Tree work isn't easy, it's not like their behind a desk and computer.
Lots of jobs aren’t easy. It wasn’t easy to sell cars most of the time, and I expect practicing dentistry or surgery or repairing power lines or fixing a transmission isn’t easy. Not sure how that is connected to tipping. By contrast, working at a coffee counter was comparably very easy compared to later jobs and tips were more frequent.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

The real question is how much are you going to tip me for responding to this post.

Are people really this obsessed with giving money away for no reason, and if so, why is it never going my way?
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Climbing a tree to trim it unless removing it completely sounds very questionable. Our arborist will not do that because spikes used when climbing a tree open wounds and invite disease, insects, fungus, and mold. Trimming most trees during the summer is not recommended, much better to do while dormant to prevent disease. I would double check they have certified knowledge as an arborist, rather than some guys with hard hats and chain saws. Proper tree care requires specialized professional knowledge and skill.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:21 am The real question is how much are you going to tip me for responding to this post.

Are people really this obsessed with giving money away for no reason, and if so, why is it never going my way?
Cheezit guy sent everyone a tip via Paypal. You didn't get yours? :D
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

“Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food, I can drive a taxi, I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist. Because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.“

- Dwight Schrute
Redlion

Post by Redlion »

No, Tree Trimming is one of hundred of different services that are provided, I wish I got a dollar for every time someone posted something about tipping.
Topic Author
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

criticalmass wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:26 am
Climbing a tree to trim it unless removing it completely sounds very questionable. Our arborist will not do that because spikes used when climbing a tree open wounds and invite disease, insects, fungus, and mold. Trimming most trees during the summer is not recommended, much better to do while dormant to prevent disease. I would double check they have certified knowledge as an arborist, rather than some guys with hard hats and chain saws. Proper tree care requires specialized professional knowledge and skill.
Criticalmass - sounds like you are knowledgeable.
If not climbing, how is a tree to be trimmed? A crane? Reddit had a video of trees being trimmed by the electrical company with an helicopter carrying half a dozen circular saws. Seriously. Interesting points about the timing of it, etc. Are trees really that delicate? For such a massive things living all their lives in the outdoors in such extreme weather, I'd have thought of them as example of resilience. I wonder if the guys I hired have now killed a few trees? :confused
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I usually round up with a little gravy for the landscapers. When I call my work gets done fast and right.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

We just had some guys do yard work. Similar overall price range. I gave them each $20.

Another time recently we spent a similar amount for some guys that did work for 3 days and were exceptional. I gave them each $100.
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:09 am NO!

Why is this question even being asked? It's ridiculous.
I don't find it ridiculous at all. The fact is in most cases the owner of the company is making 95% of the company and the guys doing the work, in 100 degree heat, are making peanuts. Nothing wrong with helping people out the workers with a small amount that means nothing to me. I feel very fortunate to be where I am in life so I like tipping. To call it ridiculous is offensive in my opinion.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I don't tip at all. Not even at restaurants. Ok, maybe I am pressured to do so, but it is around a 12% tip, nothing more. And I live in California. I don't believe in tipping more (dollar wise) for my $6 hamburger versus a $20 hamburger at a more expensive place. Same service.

Tree trimming is a flat fee, same goes for the plumber. Buy them some drinks, maybe even a foot long sandwich, but that is all.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

New Providence wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:34 pm If not climbing, how is a tree to be trimmed? A crane?
Most tree trimmers use "cherry pickers" which is essentially a one person basket with controls mounted onto a telescoping boom on a truck.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

regularguy455 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:01 am No. You’re paying a considerable amount for their expertise, equipment and time.

When I’ve had folks perform professional services I thought were great, I left them a google review and recommended them to friends. This includes tree trimming.
+1, I wouldnt even think to tip them, if they do a good job their boss should tip them.
schmitz

Post by schmitz »

I agree I would never tip tree trimmers but it got me thinking...

What’s the difference between tree trimmers and movers?

Both have hard physical labor and in both I assume the owners make all the money and just pays the workers an hourly wage.

But movers get tipped and tree trimmers dont?
Ricecakes

Post by Ricecakes »

Okay another tipping thread. I have sat on the sidelines long enough. I will now jump into the fray. 😊
As a person who spent his working career driving a delivery truck and over the years graciously accepted many tips, I feel I must ask why do we need to tip everybody nowadays??

Perhaps it seems two faced as I received tips while working. I always strove to provide excellent service to my customers. Whether they tipped or not that’s what they got; the best service I could offer them. Sometimes a delivery was walking up five flights of stairs, others were really easy. Whether it was easy or not I always did my job because...it was my job! I appreciated tips, cold beverages in summer or a cup a joe in the winter, but I never once expected them; and always showed lots gratitude when I received them.

Today it seems like every person has their hand out for a tip regardless of how much or little they do. For example a few months back we were at the airport taking a shuttle to the hotel. When we boarded the bus there was a porter who literally picked up my suitcase and put it in the cargo hold. After the shuttle was boarded he came to the door and ASKED for a tip. Really?? For picking up a bag and moving it two feet?? He got nothing from me but a glare.

Don’t get me wrong I still believe in giving tips, just think there’s gotta be a line drawn somewhere. I tend to tip for GREAT service, not just because, i.e. if we eat at a restaurant and the server is bad, they’re NOT getting a tip no matter how little the hourly wage is. Sometimes we have given tips in non traditional settings. Sometime back purchasing furniture we had a pleasant and not pushy salesperson. He was friendly and efficient and once we told him what we were looking for, he got to work. After we purchased we slipped him a 20 and said have lunch on us. Why? We liked his personality, he was helpful to is but mainly because we wanted to- no guilt, no pressure.

I think tips should be earned, not automatic. I was once told that TIPS meant “to insure prompt service”. I tip for that- service that goes above and beyond. IMHO there’s too much pressure put on us to give tips to everyone. As far as tipping the tree trim crew this truck driver says if they did something outstanding and you feel generous then by all means, tip away. On the other hand if you simply showed your appreciation by giving them some cold sodas, water, or if you’re feeling generous buying them lunch for the day; I would bet they’d be grateful.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

New Providence wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:34 pm
criticalmass wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:26 am
Criticalmass - sounds like you are knowledgeable.
If not climbing, how is a tree to be trimmed? A crane? Reddit had a video of trees being trimmed by the electrical company with an helicopter carrying half a dozen circular saws. Seriously. Interesting points about the timing of it, etc. Are trees really that delicate? For such a massive things living all their lives in the outdoors in such extreme weather, I'd have thought of them as example of resilience. I wonder if the guys I hired have now killed a few trees? :confused
It depends. Trees live outdoors, but they thrive only when they can protect themselves against disease, mold, and insects. They depend on bark for survival. When cuts are made, intruders can get into the tree. When holes are cut in from spikes, etc. the tree's protection is damaged. If there is nothing around to hurt the tree, it can heal and continue life. A tree is far more vulnerable to problems in the spring/ summer (especially after consuming energy to produce new leaves/shoots), and less vulnerable while dormant. Typically arborists do general trimming in the dormant months, but check for dead branches and active problems that need immediate attention in the growing season.