My very first $martphone!!! Please help me decide.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Faith20879

My very first $martphone!!! Please help me decide.

Post by Faith20879 »

I am stuck between Moto G power and Moto G7. Hope the resourceful BHs can give me some pointers.

DH has a Moto 5G plus. From occasionally looking over his shoulder, I think anything G5 plus has, with a better camera and a better screen resolution would make me happy. The G Power is lacking something called "Magnetometer Sensor". What does it do? Do I need to be concerned?

My expected usages include taking photos, texting, making phone calls, browsing Bogleheads, following google map when visiting new places, and making international phone calls (switching SIM card) when travelling.

Here is a summary of the differences:

Code: Select all

G power			G7
Body Material		Aluminum		Glass
Weight			7.02 oz			6.07 oz
Dispay			6'4			6'2
Resolution		1080 x 2300		2270X1280
Pixel Density		399 PPI			294 PPI
Camera			f16, r16		f8, r12
Lens Aperture		f/1.7			f/2.0
Battery			5,000			3,000
*Magnetometer Sensor	No			Yes
Cell band		WCDMA (UMTS)		WCDMA (UMTS)
			GSM 850/900/1800/1900"	GSM 850/900/1800/1900
						CDMA2000 1x 1900/850"

Thank you very much!
yohac

Re: My very first $martphone!!! Please help me decide.

Post by yohac »

If it's between those two, I'd definitely take the Moto G Power. It's a year newer, has a faster processor and a much larger battery. Don't underestimate the battery factor, especially if you travel a lot.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Looks like the magnetometer sensor is only for compass applications. If you don't need your phone to tell you where north is, you're ok without it.

I think either would suit your needs. Motorola also just came out with the Moto G Fast, the successor to the Play series, at $200. This may be a better choice as it will get updates for a bit longer than those year-old phones. Motorola is unfortunately not very good about providing software updates for long.

If camera quality is important, consider the Pixel 3a.
Last edited by 02nz on Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yohac

Post by yohac »

02nz wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:53 pm (I don't think yohac is correct, BTW, that the G Power is a year newer. Both of the phones you mentioned came out in early 2019.)
The G7 Power came out last year. The G Power was released in 2020. Motorola's fault for confusing model names.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

DH had a role in making things inside your phone, he understands the implications of each technical difference and he chose the G7 a few months ago. We have both been happy with his camera (my G5+ camera lags if there is much light variation).

Weight and size can be serious issues, even if the difference seem small on paper.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

yohac wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:57 pm
02nz wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:53 pm (I don't think yohac is correct, BTW, that the G Power is a year newer. Both of the phones you mentioned came out in early 2019.)
The G7 Power came out last year. The G Power was released in 2020. Motorola's fault for confusing model names.
Ah yes, you're correct. Edited.
Topic Author
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

02nz wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:53 pm Looks like the magnetometer sensor is only for compass applications. If you don't need your phone to tell you where north is, you're ok without it.
Hmm, that's a bummer. I rely on the compass in Google map a lot especially in a new city. Hmm, was leaning in the G power but now not so sure. Got to think about my priorities.
jjface

Post by jjface »

Get a pixel 3a. Much better.
LeftCoast

Post by LeftCoast »

I know three people who recently bought Pixel 3a's. All are very happy. The camera on the Pixel 3a is much better than either Moto.
3CheersforLkyJack

Post by 3CheersforLkyJack »

Recently got the Pixel 3a. Very happy thus far. Paid <$300 for the 3a XL. The 3a was around $200 I think.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We went with the iPhone which in hindsight was best for us. So easy and it syncs with all Apple devices.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Pixel 3a will also likely get updates longer, probably for 2 years from now. A year-old Moto phone will get at best another 6-12 months of updates.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

jjface wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:19 pm Get a pixel 3a. Much better.
For many a Google Pixel 3a with Google Fi service is ideal for hassle-free international travel.

https://toomanyadapters.com/project-fi-travel/
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

I never buy cell phones, but inherit from my son or DW. There are three advantages: 1) they are free 2) I get free tech support from them 3) free upgrades twice as frequently as either of them. I don't like electronic gadgets because I spend enough time on (not with) them at work.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

yohac wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:50 pm If it's between those two, I'd definitely take the Moto G Power. It's a year newer, has a faster processor and a much larger battery. Don't underestimate the battery factor, especially if you travel a lot.
Ditto above.

Between the two, the G Power is the better phone by far. Motorola has a habit of not providing updates beyond the OS version the phone ships with. I’ll take the newer phone with the latest OS. I think you’re overstating the usefulness of the magnetometer. I don’t claim to be a seasoned traveler but the magnetometer in my phone fails to show me the right direction to walk with Goggle maps. I just choose a direction and the phone will orient me correctly or incorrectly and I walk the other way.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Faith20879 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:08 pm
02nz wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:53 pm Looks like the magnetometer sensor is only for compass applications. If you don't need your phone to tell you where north is, you're ok without it.
Hmm, that's a bummer. I rely on the compass in Google map a lot especially in a new city. Hmm, was leaning in the G power but now not so sure. Got to think about my priorities.
The compass, or GPS? Every smartphone has GPS to provide your location, as well as direction if you're moving. A magnetometer would allow the phone to also point you in a particular direction when you're not moving, or allow you to use other apps like stargazing apps.

Honestly id be surprised to learn a phone really doesn't have the sensor, but perhaps it's true.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

With or without a magnetometer the phone will still have Google maps to help you navigate.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I have a Google phone. A good value. Very reliable and easy to navigate. Like it better than my previous Samsungs.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
squirm

Post by squirm »

G power, you won't regret it.
Moto blows all other phones away with their value.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

If you don't need Android, the latest iPhone SE looks (& has been reviewed many times as) really good. I'm not an Apple person, I've never owned an iPhone, but this latest SE has caught my attention a few times in the past month.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
Momus

Post by Momus »

If you are happy with mid-range device, get a moto phone and get midrange performance but don't expect it to perform like $1200 iPhone or Samsung.

Rather than buying a mediocre device, I'm gonna suggest a used flagship phone, Oneplus 7 pro, one of best android phones on the planet. Oneplus has been very consistent at providing software updates more than any other Android companies (besides pixel). From the performance to value ratio, nothing beats their device. It competes with $1000+ price point phones. But, don't trust my word for it. Look it up.

One plus 7 PRO at around $250-300 at eBay used. Slap a case and screen protector, you won't notice you have any imperfection on your phone at all for 50% off (a trick I always use to get any phone at 50% off). Now, you can brag to your husband how your phone is soooo much better than his :sharebeer
zeal

Post by zeal »

I'm making this same decision right now and am going with the Moto G Power. The magnetometer sensor is not that important--your maps/GPS is perfectly functional without it. Out of all the different phones I've had since my first one 15 years ago, Motorola and iPhone have always stood out to me. There are so many different brands with Android--Motorola always seems to be the most reliable. As for iPhone, iOS only has the one product, so it darn well better be good!
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

DW and I started out with Android phones. They work just fine, and the hardware is less expensive than iPhones. But I was surprised at how quickly manufacturers stop supporting them with OS and security updates.

We currently use 2016 iPhone SEs, and they're still receiving updates.

Part of Apple's higher cost can be seen as "buying" longer updates, meaning your hardware replacement cycle can be much longer.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
mouses

Post by mouses »

Sun rises in the East, sets in the West, so you're good unless it's cloudy.
Momus

Post by Momus »

zeal wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:23 am I'm making this same decision right now and am going with the Moto G Power. The magnetometer sensor is not that important--your maps/GPS is perfectly functional without it. Out of all the different phones I've had since my first one 15 years ago, Motorola and iPhone have always stood out to me. There are so many different brands with Android--Motorola always seems to be the most reliable. As for iPhone, iOS only has the one product, so it darn well better be good!
Out of all the android phones out there, you managed to single out one who doesn't make premium android phone >_>; Motorolla if you want mid-range performance for your phone - not anything bad, it's just mid-range: not great display, weaker camera sensor/AI - takes subpar pictures, mediocre reviews, etc

Flagship android makers are Samsung, Oneplus, LG, Huaweii
zeal

Post by zeal »

Momus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:30 am
zeal wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:23 am I'm making this same decision right now and am going with the Moto G Power. The magnetometer sensor is not that important--your maps/GPS is perfectly functional without it. Out of all the different phones I've had since my first one 15 years ago, Motorola and iPhone have always stood out to me. There are so many different brands with Android--Motorola always seems to be the most reliable. As for iPhone, iOS only has the one product, so it darn well better be good!
Out of all the android phones out there, you managed to single out one who doesn't make premium android phone >_>; Motorolla if you want mid-range performance for your phone - not anything bad, it's just mid-range: not great display, weaker camera sensor/AI - takes subpar pictures, mediocre reviews, etc

Every Samsung & LG I've had was prone to regular crashes, rendering them completely useless within the first six months of ownership. I don't quickly give up on devices so I held onto each of them for at least 6 months to give them a chance but was continually let down. I've owned 3 Motorolas and only one has ever crashed, but it was a one-time thing and I still used it for another year. Also I might add that one of my Motorolas (SLVR) years ago was flung from a roller coaster and still worked perfectly for the following 2 years... that's where my brand loyalty started. Never had OnePlus or Huaweii so I can't speak to those. No point in buying a premium phone when the, as you call it, mediocre one works just fine. Just now noticing the parallel with investing... The enemy of a good plan is a perfect plan. Something like that, right? I don't need peak performance--the average at a low cost is fine with me.
Momus

Post by Momus »

zeal wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:05 am
Momus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:30 am

Every Samsung & LG I've had was prone to regular crashes, rendering them completely useless within the first six months of ownership. I don't quickly give up on devices so I held onto each of them for at least 6 months to give them a chance but was continually let down. I've owned 3 Motorolas and only one has ever crashed, but it was a one-time thing and I still used it for another year. Also I might add that one of my Motorolas (SLVR) years ago was flung from a roller coaster and still worked perfectly for the following 2 years... that's where my brand loyalty started. Never had OnePlus or Huaweii so I can't speak to those. No point in buying a premium phone when the, as you call it, mediocre one works just fine. Just now noticing the parallel with investing... The enemy of a good plan is a perfect plan. Something like that, right? I don't need peak performance--the average at a low cost is fine with me.
That's why I get slightly used Oneplus ;-D at 50% off. I don't lose that way.

LG and Samsung make phone full of bloatwares. Did I mention to OP to buy those? Nah, I don't want her to suffer what you have experienced.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

zeal wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:05 am Every Samsung & LG I've had was prone to regular crashes, rendering them completely useless within the first six months of ownership. I don't quickly give up on devices so I held onto each of them for at least 6 months to give them a chance but was continually let down. I've owned 3 Motorolas and only one has ever crashed, but it was a one-time thing and I still used it for another year. Also I might add that one of my Motorolas (SLVR) years ago was flung from a roller coaster and still worked perfectly for the following 2 years... that's where my brand loyalty started. Never had OnePlus or Huaweii so I can't speak to those. No point in buying a premium phone when the, as you call it, mediocre one works just fine. Just now noticing the parallel with investing... The enemy of a good plan is a perfect plan. Something like that, right? I don't need peak performance--the average at a low cost is fine with me.
My family owned many, well over 10, Samsung and LG phones (feature phones and smartphones) for close to 20 years and hardly remember any of them crashing. If they suffer from such mishaps, it should be well documented in various reviews.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Iphone SE. Has an eSIM (good for international travel), not loaded with crapware like a Moto, and will be supported with OS updates for several years longer than a Moto will.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

mouses wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:27 am 1. Sun rises in the East, sets in the West, so 2. you're good unless it's cloudy.
1. true always. :sharebeer
2. not so true.

I cannot tell how many times I have been saved by the compass symbol in the Google map when in a total strange city. I knew I was totally lost and I knew as long as I kept turning north (or south) eventually I'd be able to get out of the maze that I was in.

That is, assuming "Magnetometer Sensor" is the thing provides the compass symbol in the Google Maps.
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

The compass in Google maps will work just fine with either phone. I don't know the Motorola's, but looking at your post I bet a dual SIM slot would be handy -- does either have one?
warner25

Post by warner25 »

I bought a Moto G7 last year, and then replaced it with a Moto G Power this year after my G7 got smashed. It's hard to find G7s now, and yeah, the G Power is another year newer. Honestly, I don't think there's much perceptible difference. Both have the most exceptional battery life I've experienced with a phone. Both take fine photos in good lighting. In poor lighting, the cameras will underperform more expensive phones. I considered the Pixel 3a, but I've had bad experiences with previous Pixel and Nexus phones (turned into bricks within six months) and didn't want to pay a premium for that.

Post by 123 »

I've been a solid Motorola fan for a number of years. While I love Android my next phone is going to be an iphone SE (2020) where a basic model starts at $400. I'm switching to the Apple world primarily because the upgrade/update procedure for the Android OS is eratic and limited. It seems like the Motorola phones only get 1 (or less) upgrade to a new version of Android even though they receive security patches. With a new iphone it seems that Apple provides upgrades for around 5 years so the technical lifespan seem greater. I hardly ever use the camera so the most attractive features of the SE to me seem to be the smaller footprint as well as a longer supported lifetime.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

sean.mcgrath wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:49 pm The compass in Google maps will work just fine with either phone.
Are you saying that the compass in Google Maps has nothing to do with the "Magnetometer Sensor"? That is a great news if true. I was assuming that since the G Power is lacking "Magnetometer Sensor", Google Maps on this phone will not have the compass feature.
sean.mcgrath wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:49 pm ... I bet a dual SIM slot would be handy -- does either have one?
Yes Moto does have an international version that has dual SIM. But it comes with a different warranty that I don't completely understand. With the single SIM, I can swap easily so not a big disadvantage.

Thanks!
ballons

Post by ballons »

yohac wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:57 pm
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?i ... one3=10052

There actually is a G8 Power which gives a dual-sim and 18W charging.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Faith20879 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:17 pm
sean.mcgrath wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:49 pm The compass in Google maps will work just fine with either phone.
Are you saying that the compass in Google Maps has nothing to do with the "Magnetometer Sensor"? That is a great news if true. I was assuming that since the G Power is lacking "Magnetometer Sensor", Google Maps on this phone will not have the compass feature.
They are confusing GPS navigation and the compass feature. You need the magnetometer for compass features.

https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones-moto-g-power/p
Sensors
Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, Ambient Light, Sensor Hub, Fingerprint reader, Magnetometer (e-compass)
Moto says it has it. Third party sites say they don't have it. You may have to just buy it to find out.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

I'd make another recommendation for iphone SE. Not as flashy as the androids, but will likely be a smoother transition for your first smartphone. I've owned an android tablet, and while I like them, they require a bit more to get them working the way you want (especially with the bloatware many come with). Walmart sells the SE for $200 off if you are signing up for postpaid cell service.
MJS

Post by MJS »

When [if, nowdays] you test-drive the two models, assess which is more comfortable in your hand -- especially if you have small/large hands or arthritis. Also, check out access to the Symbol menu -- how do you pull up @ or £ or ()? On some models, navigating the symbol menu can be quite tedious.
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

Faith20879 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:17 pm Are you saying that the compass in Google Maps has nothing to do with the "Magnetometer Sensor"? That is a great news if true. I was assuming that since the G Power is lacking "Magnetometer Sensor", Google Maps on this phone will not have the compass feature.
Usually, Google maps will use what the phone has (so just GPS, WiFi and accelerometer if that is what is in the phone). Although I just checked and some people seem to complain about it with these phones, so you may want to try it out first.
Faith20879 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:17 pm
sean.mcgrath wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:49 pm ... I bet a dual SIM slot would be handy -- does either have one?
Yes Moto does have an international version that has dual SIM. But it comes with a different warranty that I don't completely understand. With the single SIM, I can swap easily so not a big disadvantage.

Thanks!
Makes sense. It is nice, as you don't lose / damage the sims if you are switching more often.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I see some Pixel 3a supporters, I have a Pixel XL (1st generation). Something to consider is that Google only provides 3 years of software updates. If you switch phones every 2-3 years, I guess it's no big deal, but I keep my phone for longer and I am still using it with no updates (it works fine). I was very surprised by this. I guess I should have read the fine print.

I think Apple gives you 5 years of software updates, I'm not an Apple fan (I'm a right to repair advocate), but if it's one thing Apple is doing better, it's providing longer software support. With all the nefarious hackers out there, keeping up to date is necessary these days if you have PII data on your phone.

Edit: I should mention that I will likely be perusing XDA Forums soon to find a ROM update, but that's not for everyone
Last edited by Kagord on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I've owned both Android and several releases of iPhone (although I confess my only exposure to Android has come from Samsung products).

First off, this caught my attention:

Code: Select all

G power			G7
Cell band		WCDMA (UMTS)		WCDMA (UMTS)
			GSM 850/900/1800/1900"	GSM 850/900/1800/1900
						CDMA2000 1x 1900/850"

It's not enough simply to change the SIM, it's important to make sure the phone has the appropriate electronics to communicate with the cell systems where you plan to travel. I've used https://willmyphonework.net/ to investigate planned travel specifically looking to see if my phone would work where I was going. You might give this a look to make sure either phone will work where you plan to go. The differences in electronic stacks might be a game changer.

That being said, as I mentioned, I've owned both Android and iPhone, and I've settled on iPhone. Android is a nice concept (and I love the fact that it's based at its core on Linux), but I got very tired of trying to research a workaround to the Bug Of The Day only to find out that one manufacturer's published fix would not apply to another manufacturer's phone. There's just too much customization allowed on the platform to provide any sort of serious standardization of user experience. My iPhone "just works" and doesn't present me with a lot of drama, at least not so far.

Hope this helps.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

Should you desire to see which carrier works in you area based on actual users

Here is a free app called Opensignal

https://www.opensignal.com/

It locates the closest celltower and tests upload and download speeds.

Best
azanon

Post by azanon »

Cubicle wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:25 pm If you don't need Android, the latest iPhone SE looks (& has been reviewed many times as) really good. I'm not an Apple person, I've never owned an iPhone, but this latest SE has caught my attention a few times in the past month.
I have the 2020 iphone SE and absolutely love it. Had droids for a few years before going to Apple- dunno what took me so long, but I'd never go back.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

Motorola does tend to have only one OS update on all the G series (e.g. from Android 9 to 10), usually about a year to 18 months after the phone originally came out, so I would definitely buy one from the latest series. If you are willing to try Google Fi for a month, you can get the Moto G Stylus for $199 or the Moto G Power for $149. The phone is unlocked, and can be used with another service if you don't like Google FI. If you don't try Google Fi, they will charge you another $100 after you have had the phone for a month. https://fi.google.com/about/phones/?utm ... lsrc=aw.ds

It is very painless to try Google Fi, and to cancel or pause the service. I pause the service, and use it for international travel.

The Pixel 3a has a better camera. Because it has been around longer, but Google has a better policy for upgrades, I think it will be upgraded about as long as one of the newest Motos, perhaps slightly longer. It has a very small battery compared to the Motos.

The Stylus might be worth the extra $50.

I usually buy the dual sim Motos, making sure to get the Mexican or Brazil models that have all but one of the bands for AT&T and T-Mobile. They essentially have no warranty, so for someone who doesn't really need that feature, it is overkill.

For easy changing of SIM cards, I order a 100-pack of these SIM keys for $5, and put one on all of my keychains, and place one inside my phone cases. I also give some of the extras to friends and family. https://www.amazon.com/Removal-Ejector- ... lp_pl_dp_2
zeal

Post by zeal »

Just an update I've had the Moto G Power for almost a month now. No issues whatsoever (including with Google Maps--traveled out of state once on a 6-hr round trip). I average 2-3 hours use per day (pretty much just Chrome, Calls/Messages, SnapChat, and YouTube) and charge it once every 3-4 days.

Of course it's only a month in so not a real "review," but mainly just posting to say Maps has no issues with compass direction.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

I have the G7 Power and love it for reading but this week put the SIM card back in the old Moto G I got in 2014.

The G7 is just too big! the Moto G I can put in my pocket, and has a handy beacon pulse light that lets me know of notifications. But the battery is weak and it has only 8G storage, so no apps can be added.

That's probably no help because the G is gone, but I wanted to rant about phones being SO big now. :annoyed