Should I sell my stash of dental floss now worth $3,000?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WildBill

Re: Should I sell my stash of dental floss now worth $3,000?

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

This thread made my day.

Thanks

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
j9j

Post by j9j »

Sell the initial equity and let the profits rise. It could double again;)
cogito

Post by cogito »

Can you execute a smalltime pump and dump by investing another few thousand in buying up remaining available inventory, and trying to offload your stash to a whale at closer to 80 or 90 dollars apiece?
jmorgans

Post by jmorgans »

Sell call options on the dental floss so you’re only required to sell it if above the strike price. Maybe can pocket some cash and keep your floss!
Cam894

Post by Cam894 »

I didn't think I read the title correctly........
CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish »

adamthesmythe wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:28 am Then you'll be a dental floss tycoon

(cue Frank Zappa)
I just want to +1 a Zappa reference. Pretty much the last thing I would expect here. Awesome.
wolingfeng

Post by wolingfeng »

No wonder! I couldn’t find them in store anywhere!! That is my favorite brand as well.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

I don't want to hear about you getting any cavity's
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

this requires a photo of the 'stash', else its not real. :happy
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Last year I could not find any unwaxed dental floss locally - which is the type I use. I don't like the family to spend a lot of money on my gifts so I put it on my wish list. I have so much it will last me a few years. Perhaps use it as a stocking stuffer or for the person who has everything.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Are there tax implications?
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

While downsizing, about 5 or 6 years ago, I found a stash of stamp hinges (what collectors use to mount stamps into albums) from ages ago. Checked eBay, and found these things which once cost me 25c, sold for around $15. I sold maybe 15 packs! Today, just checked, price is around $20 /pack! Check this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PACK-OF-THE- ... SwdzVXpUMO

Sell at least some of the floss!
JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal »

I am concerned about this and also confused.

Are we talking about the sort of waxy/woven-y/very stretchy non-cotton floss from Johnson & Johnson?

I have in my hand two packages of such (both J&J): (1) purple "REACH TOTAL CARE with LISTERINE flavors" and (2) blue "LISTERINE ULTRACLEAN"

I love this stuff and was shattered a few years ago when the purple stuff was no longer available...except on eBay for crazy prices. I did some research into this and found that "Reach" (as in toothbrushes) had licensed the name to J&J but then wanted out of that deal...I don't recall why. But the new blue stuff is the very same product, just "blue" not "purple". Same mint flavor (as I recall the old REACH with Listerine flavors came in a few flavors).

So I don't know if the current situation you've found is with the old purple or the new blue. I do have a box of probably a dozens rolls of blue. And I keep my last roll of purple for a memento. Based on this thread I interrupted my posting to order more "blue" from Amazon...and the price was same as I paid last February.

Now if only Amazon would get my Korean small/ultra soft toothbrushes back I'd be happy.

EDIT: Just found this product link at Walmart. The photo says "Listerine - Formerly Reach", must be new packaging.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Listerine-Ul ... LsQAvD_BwE

Caduceus wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:22 am I have a stash of dental floss from Listerine that apparently has been discontinued as of earlier this year. I don't know if the discontinuation is temporary or permanent, but the prices each pack of dental floss has fetched on sites like Ebay and Amazon is ridiculous. I bought them for maybe $3 per pack and they are selling now (actual sold prices, not just listed prices) for about $25 per pack. People are actually buying them. They are the best floss ever and I don't know why the company has stopped producing them.

I love this floss so much that when rumors of its discontinuation popped up on the internet I bought myself a big stash early last year but now that it is worth so much I'm wondering if I should just sell them ... !
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

CascadiaSoonish wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:33 pm
adamthesmythe wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:28 am Then you'll be a dental floss tycoon

(cue Frank Zappa)
I just want to +1 a Zappa reference. Pretty much the last thing I would expect here. Awesome.
+2

And, I just moved to Montana and am shopping for my “heavy duty Zircon-encrusted tweezers” and my “pygmy pony”!
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

DesertDiva wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:48 pm Are there tax implications?
Technically, yes.
Tamales

Post by Tamales »

According to this: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sh ... p?t=650472
there was a shortage of this floss back in 2012, so you better unload it quickly, before the shortage goes away.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

DesertDiva wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:48 pm Are there tax implications?
Yes! YMMV, so check with a CPA or tax accountant.

Looks like it's a hobby, so treat it as such. Do you go around parties sharing "flossing is my hobby"? And "I can get you the good stuff".

Anyway, if it becomes a business, the rules change. And if you use eBay, they report business sales.
If you make more than $20,000 in gross sales and have 200 or more transactions on eBay, you should receive a 1099-K form reporting this income to the IRS.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/se ... 0the%20IRS.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

I much prefer the POH brand. Unwaxed.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

OP: Under no circumstances can you sell the floss. Put that crazy idea out of your mind! You will live to regret parting with it.

About 10 years ago, my dentist warned me that Glide Dental Tape was being discontinued. My wife and I loved that tape, so I bought half of the stock he had. (Was trying to be a nice guy and leave some for the rest of his patients.) I still regret not buying all he had, for the Glide Floss is a poor substitute.
Old Sage(brush)

Post by Old Sage(brush) »

Rumor has it bandaids are next. Get in early.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Yes, be an evil price gouger! I think they’ve stopped vilifying people for this, at least temporarily...

I’d sell $2,500 worth, keep $500 of floss for myself, and hope it is produced again.

It sounds like I’ve got to get me some of this magic floss if they start making it again!

JT
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

I won't be a buyer. My teeth are tight-woven floss shreds in my teeth.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

I didn’t click on this thread yesterday because it was such a weird title I was afraid of what it might say. This is so funny. Good luck with your decision! I’m sure whether you sell it or keep it you will be happy. Although, what if you sold it, invested the money and then in a year or two when they start making it again because of demand, then you buy it back at normal prices.
mouses

Post by mouses »

JohnFiscal wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:12 pm
Now if only Amazon would get my Korean small/ultra soft toothbrushes back I'd be happy.
My retired dentist had small soft toothbrushes as giveaways. I got the ordering info from him and ordered the smallest number possible, probably a hundred or so, for about 17 cents apiece from the supply company. These should last me a couple of lifetimes. No idea now what the ordering address was.
Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Thanks everyone. I don't think I'll be selling. My fiance stole a couple from me to list on Ebay but I've hidden the rest of them safely away from him and I think I'll just enjoy my stash while it lasts. I really hope they bring it back. I just read the reviews on Walmart and people are legitimately angry about it lol

From a business standpoint, if you have a devoted following willing to pay $25 for it on Ebay, surely you can double the price (say from $3 to $6) and make a profit? I would be happy to pay $6 per pack of this floss, for sure.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

campy2010 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:40 am I love that woven dental floss. My whole family loves that woven dental floss. Oral B has a similar product that's also hard to find. Definitely time to take profits on your dental floss investment. Don't wait or the opportunity may recede.
Are you talking about "Oral-B Glide PRO-HEALTH Original Floss?" That appears to be woven. Once I found that I gave up on all others. Sometimes one has to look hard to find it. Don't get suckered into buying the mint version, which seems to be more readily available.

In any case, Amazon has a supply of 12-packs.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Just because you see that someone else is offering something for sale at a high price doesn't mean they will succeed in selling it at that price, and certainly doesn't mean you will be able to sell it at the same price. I have no idea what's going on these days at Amazon and eBay, but I have to think some sellers must just be "trying it on."

For example, I own duplicate copies of a twenty-year-old trade paperback of a great book on managing software development, that I bought originally for about $20. I saw it listed for $200 on eBay, so I tried to sell mine for $150. Not a nibble. Well, it sells for about $5 at Abebooks.com...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I had a similar situation when they discontinued the Grapefruit flavor of Crystal Light.

I regularly drank it but I could not stand most other flavors of Crystal light. Ever since I was a kid I always liked grapefruit juice but now that I take a statin drug I cannot drink real grapefruit juice since it interferes with the statin in a potentially dangerous way. It is literally a forbidden fruit to me now which makes me want it more.

There were apparently a lot of other people that felt the same way and before it was discontinued whenever Crystal Light was on sale it the grapefruit flavor would often be the one flavor they were out of since other people would also stock up on it when it was on sale.

There was lots of talk about it when they discontinued it and no one online could figure out why they discontinued that flavor when it seemed to be one of their best sellers.

I ended up buying a couple of dozen containers of the Grapefruit flavor Crystal light online when I saw some become available at the regular price.

For the next year or two it would sell at crazy prices on eBay and I was tempted to sell some of mine but I didn't and I kept using mine but I don't drink it all the time like I used to. I think it has been about 8 years and I am just about out of them now.

Even though they are around eight years old now they still seem to be fine but the color has changed a little bit so I want to use them up before they go bad.

I don't know what the numbers are but if I had sold then years ago I could have make some money because I had so much of it but each time I make up a container of it that is only a few dollars and that is a treat that is worth it to me.

Even at $30 a pack for the floss I would guess that each time you use it your are only using maybe $0.25 to $0.50 worth of floss which sounds like it is really worth it to you.

Anyway I would suspect that the floss might not store forever without degrading since its texture or flexibility might change over time.

You might want to figure out what a ten year supply of the floss would be for you and sell off the rest.
Last edited by Watty on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Great satire throughout this thread. Bravo everyone.

OP, if you’re seriously asking if you should trade a pile of dental floss for $3000- then yes. The answer is yes.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

As your stash diminishes, you're going to have to decide whether certain teeth are "floss-worthy" a la Elaine from Seinfeld. :D
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

As a kid during the cold war, I was addicted to chapstick. There's a book about that addiction somewhere. I used to worry that if there were a nuclear war, there'd be no way to get chapstick, and my lips would be up the creek.

I never hoarded chapstick, but learned over the years that there are almost always very acceptable substitutes, and even better way of doing things, which are there to be found by reading, talking to people, and/or on the internet.

For example, I learned from a periodontist that dental floss does not fully get food out from between teeth because floss does not scrape across the concavities on the sides of teeth adjacent to other teeth. The solution? After flossing, use brushes, such as the Swedish made TePe brushes (see https://www.tepeusa.com/ .)

And another thing is that flossing is a good thing no matter what. But flossing with unwaxed floss is best because there's more friction and, hence, more crap is scraped off the tooth as the floss slides by. (And only use soft brushes if you want to keep yer gums.)

But all this presumes that one knows how to floss. I really only learned how, and got addicted to flossing, when I was dating a dental student. That was very helpful. Now, I suppose one could do a flossing date with someone on zoom and get a good lesson, well worth the price of admission for those who simply force the floss in and out one time, with no torquing (or is it twerking?)/scraping!
Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:07 am Just because you see that someone else is offering something for sale at a high price doesn't mean they will succeed in selling it at that price, and certainly doesn't mean you will be able to sell it at the same price. I have no idea what's going on these days at Amazon and eBay, but I have to think some sellers must just be "trying it on."

For example, I own duplicate copies of a twenty-year-old trade paperback of a great book on managing software development, that I bought originally for about $20. I saw it listed for $200 on eBay, so I tried to sell mine for $150. Not a nibble. Well, it sells for about $5 at Abebooks.com...
On Ebay, if you look at the left hand column, there's an option to click on "Sold Listings." That shows you actual sales and actual transacted prices. I am going off that. Someone sold a bulk lot of 28 of my brand of floss packs for $700.
Surfmur2000

Post by Surfmur2000 »

Hi! I’m an rdh and wrote to j&j about the floss and they say, as of now, it is totally discontinued. A good substitute is coco floss. You can order online on their website. It is a little pricey, ($8-10) but, they sometimes put certain flavors on sale.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

I would sell sooner that later. Several years ago, my late FIL was distressed that his preferred dental adhesive was not available at is CVS. One of the family members came across information that the manufacturer had sold the line to a competitor who was stopping production. Several family members scoured a number of stores for remaining stock as well as purchasing some online at prices that were on the order of double what was the historical price. Perhaps 70-80 may have been acquired, enough for what turned out be the rest of his life. Several months prior to his passing he spent some time in the nursing home and became accustomed to using a different brand. On a whim, I looked online to see what if anything they were selling for and was shocked to see them selling on ebay for $200-$300. With his permission, I set up him an account and proceeded to sell them. All went well for several months, although there were a couple of comments about how awful it was to sell them for a high price. There was an interaction with one buyer that I noted that appeared to be a reseller, having bought and sold this same item. This ebay buyer purchased I believe 10 at a lower unit price, and I was happy as it would virtually finish up the inventory. Subsequent to the sale, the buyer claimed that the product was faulty, and out of date (any and all product would have been out of date by this time as several years had elapsed). I pointed out to ebay that anyone, particularly this buyer, would know that they were out of date. In some listings this was specifically mentioned. Nevertheless, paypal and ebay clawed back the funds as well as return shipping costs and subsequently said they were banning sale of such product, (an over the counter product). I was told that the account would be unfrozen if I accepted the return which I did. Listings of identical product continued to appear for many months, even today at about $100. I subsequently sold two more, after which a complaint was raised, I suspect the previous buyer, and the account was again frozen. I told my FIL that it was too big of a hassle and I was done. "Denta-Gold" would be no more. After he passed, I pitched the remaining product.

BTW, when I did their taxes, i did the capital gains calculation including the gross sales, used an estimated average purchase price for basis and subtracted out ebay, paypal and shipping costs.

As a side note, you can still two years later buy the old product on ebay. It is even listed as old formula for about $100 per tube. A new manufacturer has apparently sprung up as I see listings at 2-3 times the price FIL used to pay on ebay and Amazon, but it apparently is a new formula.
IMO

Post by IMO »

Jeez, it's dental floss.

If you can make $3000 sell it. Go out to Walgreens and buy some other dental floss. :oops:

I'd question who in the hell is looking up "dental floss" on e-bay? Honestly. . . .
Orbuculum Nongata

Post by Orbuculum Nongata »

...timing the floss market. Good grief. What’s next? Toilet paper? :D
I think I can > I believe I can > I did
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

Tamales wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:23 pm Would be nice if the OP specified exactly what product.
This, maybe?
https://www.ecrater.com/p/34365180/list ... gIctvD_BwE
OP still hasn't confirmed the item as far as I can see. Perfect opportunity to 'pump the stock' but I guess we're keeping it anyway.

This is... $73.99 for a 2-pack! At least shipping is free and product is "brand new" haha
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

JLJL wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:34 pm
Tamales wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:23 pm Would be nice if the OP specified exactly what product.
This, maybe?
https://www.ecrater.com/p/34365180/list ... gIctvD_BwE
OP still hasn't confirmed the item as far as I can see. Perfect opportunity to 'pump the stock' but I guess we're keeping it anyway.

This is... $73.99 for a 2-pack! At least shipping is free and product is "brand new" haha
Buying “brand new” dental floss is more palatable than buying “gently used”.....
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Oh man. 2020 has been a weird year. Covid-19, a bear market, a very short depression, the murder hornets, riots, the killer asteroid in 2029, those lizards in Georgia, a toilet paper crisis, and now a bubble in the dental floss market.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Momus

Post by Momus »

Dental floss isn't art... Once the product is back in stock (or a new product is made better), you have a big pile of flosses worth nothing.
petulant

Post by petulant »

Don't forget to find some other junk around the house to sell for a loss so you can avoid capital gains tax!!
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

You should consider keeping more than a few samples with you. Your breath will stink again if you stop flossing.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Sorta like selling some of a stock purchase that has become a quintuple bagger. Keep enough for your purposes.....hopefully, you don't think you will use 1,000 packs over a lifetime, and sell the rest.

Tim
tfb

Post by tfb »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:22 am I have a stash of dental floss from Listerine that apparently has been discontinued as of earlier this year. I don't know if the discontinuation is temporary or permanent, but the prices each pack of dental floss has fetched on sites like Ebay and Amazon is ridiculous. I bought them for maybe $3 per pack and they are selling now (actual sold prices, not just listed prices) for about $25 per pack. People are actually buying them. They are the best floss ever and I don't know why the company has stopped producing them.
Thank you for the heads up. I happen to have a few packs left around. I'm selling them.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

bertilak wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:48 am
campy2010 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:40 am I love that woven dental floss. My whole family loves that woven dental floss. Oral B has a similar product that's also hard to find. Definitely time to take profits on your dental floss investment. Don't wait or the opportunity may recede.
Are you talking about "Oral-B Glide PRO-HEALTH Original Floss?" That appears to be woven. Once I found that I gave up on all others. Sometimes one has to look hard to find it. Don't get suckered into buying the mint version, which seems to be more readily available.

In any case, Amazon has a supply of 12-packs.
Yes! This stuff is the best. It is available where I am at but my family on the west coast can only find it periodically. They get it in their stockings at Christmas. Thanks for the tip about Amazon!
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

I love this floss so much that when rumors of its discontinuation popped up on the internet I bought myself a big stash early last year but now that it is worth so much I'm wondering if I should just sell them ... !
You are assuming you'll be able to sell all of them. I go through about 4 to 6 50 yarders a year and I floss once daily. Based on your math you have over 100. You could be sitting on 20 to 25 years of floss. You are probably set for life.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

TonyDAntonio wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:32 am I missed the tulip bubble and now the dental floss bubble? God I suck at investing.
Right there with you. The South Sea Bubble got me.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

nedsaid wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:12 am Oh man. 2020 has been a weird year. Covid-19, a bear market, a very short depression, the murder hornets, riots, the killer asteroid in 2029, those lizards in Georgia, a toilet paper crisis, and now a bubble in the dental floss market.
You forgot the Tiger King!
Teague

Post by Teague »

Have you ever noticed how this stuff can be cut and manipulated into virtually all of the symbols of freemasonry? Coincidence???

OP, if you do get the $3000, have you thought about investing in a watch around that price?
Semper Augustus
aednichols

Post by aednichols »

OP has done well for themselves in a single asset but lacks diversification. The Boglehead way is to add other dental products to the portfolio.