Should I sell my stash of dental floss now worth $3,000?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Should I sell my stash of dental floss now worth $3,000?

Post by Caduceus »

I have a stash of dental floss from Listerine that apparently has been discontinued as of earlier this year. I don't know if the discontinuation is temporary or permanent, but the prices each pack of dental floss has fetched on sites like Ebay and Amazon is ridiculous. I bought them for maybe $3 per pack and they are selling now (actual sold prices, not just listed prices) for about $25 per pack. People are actually buying them. They are the best floss ever and I don't know why the company has stopped producing them.

I love this floss so much that when rumors of its discontinuation popped up on the internet I bought myself a big stash early last year but now that it is worth so much I'm wondering if I should just sell them ... !
AlexanderTheMediocre

Re: Should I sell my stash of dental floss now worth $3,000?

Post by AlexanderTheMediocre »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:22 am I have a stash of dental floss from Listerine that apparently has been discontinued as of earlier this year. I don't know if the discontinuation is temporary or permanent, but the prices each pack of dental floss has fetched on sites like Ebay and Amazon is ridiculous. I bought them for maybe $3 per pack and they are selling now (actual sold prices, not just listed prices) for about $25 per pack. People are actually buying them. They are the best floss ever and I don't know why the company has stopped producing them.

I love this floss so much that when rumors of its discontinuation popped up on the internet I bought myself a big stash early last year but now that it is worth so much I'm wondering if I should just sell them ... !
For that kind of markup, why not? I would try to sell them in bulk though to minimize hassle. That's half a year's Roth IRA contribution!
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Then you'll be a dental floss tycoon

(cue Frank Zappa)
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

120 dental flosses? Haha that is quite a personal stash I thought you were going to say you are a retailer of some sort.

Of course sell them! You can be like the hand sanitizer storage unit guy but without the downside of being an absolutely horrible person.

I remember when you were never going to be able to get Twinkies again. Not sure what saved them but we have them in our pantry (much to my chagrin). I'm betting the product comes back.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Definitely sell them. The manufacturer may wise up at some point that they're missing out on potential revenue and bring the product back. Or maybe it was just a COVID-related production halt and it's coming back soon. In either case, cash in while you can.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

I missed the tulip bubble and now the dental floss bubble? God I suck at investing.
scubavol

Post by scubavol »

I'm not yet enough of a BH habitué to know if there's a Thread Title of the Year award; if so, my vote is cast!
Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

TonyDAntonio wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:32 am I missed the tulip bubble and now the dental floss bubble? God I suck at investing.
Haha, well, if you've ever used Listerine's woven floss you'll understand it's not a bubble. There is nothing like it on the market currently and I can totally understand why people are panicking that they will never produce these again. I hated flossing until I found these, and if I were sure that they were never producing them again, I would not sell a single pack of my stash, even at $25.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

TonyDAntonio wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:32 am I missed the tulip bubble and now the dental floss bubble? God I suck at investing.
lol

Post by 1789 »

Yes sell them
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

JLJL wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:30 am I remember when you were never going to be able to get Twinkies again. Not sure what saved them...
Private equity
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/bus ... e-twinkie/
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

I would hold on to it. I've been buying this rare dental floss for my collection whenever I can get if for $10-20. I think it's going to $100 by next year and $500 in the next few years. I read a report on the internet about this dental floss shortage, and the classic ones are going to skyrocket.
supersecretname

Post by supersecretname »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=220xlHky1SY

I might be movin' to Montana soon
Just to raise me up a crop of
Dental Floss

Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box
That I can sell uptown

By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
But I'd be raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

I'm a floss pick guy.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

I love that woven dental floss. My whole family loves that woven dental floss. Oral B has a similar product that's also hard to find. Definitely time to take profits on your dental floss investment. Don't wait or the opportunity may recede.
Last edited by campy2010 on Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mouses

Post by mouses »

Don't count on it coming back into production. Johnson & Johnson first aid cream, those Pledge dusting cloths unscented grab dust instead of just moving it around, both gone.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Step 1: Sell enough to recoup your investment. Now you have free luxury dental floss.
Step 2: Sell more and buy a waterpick with the money and see how you like it.
Step 3: If you like the water pick, sell the rest.
Step 4: Profit!
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

supersecretname wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:39 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=220xlHky1SY

Dental Floss

Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box
That I can sell uptown

By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
Dental Floss
You planning to put road signs up with your little poems?

Burma Shave
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

My wife made a few bucks when Twinkies and Necco Waffers were discontinued, but they are both back now.

I'd sell.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Sell, pocket the profits. Find some other kind of floss. Maybe buy a Waterpik at costco with some of your profits.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Sell. Learn to like Oral-B or another brand. :happy

I did something similar (on a smaller scale) when Bounce discontinued their dryer bars. My family disliked them. I had a few packages that I hadn’t gotten around to throwing away. I was astonished to read they were selling on eBay for around $50 a pack IIRC. Easy couple hundred dollars...
mouses

Post by mouses »

JLJL wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:30 am
I remember when you were never going to be able to get Twinkies again. Not sure what saved them but we have them in our pantry (much to my chagrin). I'm betting the product comes back.
I remember the New York Times article of a lady buscando(sp?) los Twinkies at her bodega.

SkyBars are back however, available at www.skybarcandy.com
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

supersecretname wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:39 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=220xlHky1SY

Dental Floss

Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box
That I can sell uptown

By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
Dental Floss
Excellent! :D
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

HomeStretch wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:44 am Sell. Learn to like Oral-B or another brand. :happy

I did something similar (on a smaller scale) when Bounce discontinued their dryer bars. My family disliked them. I had a few packages that I hadn’t gotten around to throwing away. I was astonished to read they were selling on eBay for around $50 a pack IIRC. Easy couple hundred dollars...
It's not the brand that matters. I can't find any woven floss out there - floss that's made like cloth instead of those horrible plasticky material. This is really great for gums and cleans really well. I think it would be super-duper-ultra dumb for Listerine to stop producing it. There's a devoted cult following out there to this floss.
Last edited by Caduceus on Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Definitely a bubble, sell now! :sharebeer
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Just because you see a price on amazon or ebay doesn't mean people are actually buying them. There are sometimes some crazy high prices on amazon for example but it's meaningless.
Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Nate79 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:53 am Just because you see a price on amazon or ebay doesn't mean people are actually buying them. There are sometimes some crazy high prices on amazon for example but it's meaningless.
On Ebay you can click on "Sold Listings" to see prices of items that have actually sold. They are actually selling for closer to $30 each instead of $25. I just checked.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:57 am
Nate79 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:53 am Just because you see a price on amazon or ebay doesn't mean people are actually buying them. There are sometimes some crazy high prices on amazon for example but it's meaningless.
On Ebay you can click on "Sold Listings" to see prices of items that have actually sold. They are actually selling for closer to $30 each instead of $25. I just checked.
Then, sell, sell, sell!
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

Don't sell it until you find a suitable quid pro quo. Good luck!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

I'm miss Uneeda Biscuits. Will stake slightly stale stash.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

There are huge floss farms in Montana. Better hope they don't catch on to this.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

I did this exact thing with razor (shaving) blades awhile back, bought for around 0.20/blade, sold for 1.00-2.00/blade, with the ebay/paypal 15% + shipping, still made nice little amount to fund hobbies. I say go for it. BUT be prepared to deal with customers, which personally I do not enjoy. It's not always a "pack and ship nicely and it's over" transaction.
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:51 am
HomeStretch wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:44 am Sell. Learn to like Oral-B or another brand. :happy

It's not the brand that matters. I can't find any woven floss out there - floss that's made like cloth instead of those horrible plasticky material. This is really great for gums and cleans really well. I think it would be super-duper-ultra dumb for Listerine to stop producing it. There's a devoted cult following out there to this floss.
Mind me asking specifically what listerine floss item this is? I'm interesting in learning what all the fluss is about ;)
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I use whatever free samples the dentist gives me than whatever I find at the store - all the same to me. I would SELL SELL SELL while you can.

(To the person that brought it up: While NECCO wafers came back they are now made in Mexico instead of Boston - they aren't the same - can't speak with any authority about Twinkees)
McCharley

Post by McCharley »

I know this question may seem absurd, but as an avid flosser myself I can say that most of what is out there is pure garbage -- it breaks easily and leaves fibers behind in your teeth. :annoyed And I do use it properly, moving it along as I go to not wear out the floss by sticking to one place on the string. All the brands at my grocery store and local drug store were the same. I prefer unwaxed as it seems to have more "scrubbing power" than waxed floss does. I was actually on the verge of looking for a big spool of heavy duty thread. Why is this so hard? :confused

However, when I took a trip to the East Coast a few years back I discovered CVS Unwaxed. Great! :D I promptly bought $50 from CVS online to avoid shipping costs, and I have been using it for years. I am down to my last three.

I have not tried Listerine dental floss, but OP if you sell it you may want to try out CVS. :sharebeer
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:51 am
A long time ago my dentist at the time told me floss works more by physically disrupting bacterial colonies than by "scrubbing" which is why the "goretex" type flosses are as good as the old types.
KaskadeForever

Post by KaskadeForever »

This sounds like market timing to me. I would advise the OP to just stick to the investment policy statement and follow the appropriate asset allocation between floss and toothpaste. There currently aren't any low-cost ETF's for dental floss, but you can mimic a fund by investing in at least 10 different kinds of floss, to diversify and insulate yourself from market risk. Can we add a section to the Wiki about this?
researcher

Post by researcher »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:22 am I have a stash of dental floss from Listerine that apparently has been discontinued as of earlier this year.
they are selling now (actual sold prices, not just listed prices) for about $25 per pack.
$3000/$25 = 120 packs
120 packs x 150 feet/pack = 18,000 feet

If you floss EVERY DAY and use 1 ft of floss each time, you have enough to last you nearly 50 years.

I'm afraid to ask how much toilet paper you have hoarded!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Perhaps you could trade some of the floss for Charmin TP (or your own preferred brand)?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

researcher wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:55 pm
Caduceus wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:22 am I have a stash of dental floss from Listerine that apparently has been discontinued as of earlier this year.
they are selling now (actual sold prices, not just listed prices) for about $25 per pack.
$3000/$25 = 120 packs
120 packs x 150 feet/pack = 18,000 feet

If you floss EVERY DAY and use 1 ft of floss each time, you have enough to last you nearly 50 years.

I'm afraid to ask how much toilet paper you have hoarded!
haha love how you Caps Lock EVERY DAY like that is obscene usage :D
greenwaves

Post by greenwaves »

I admire your courage in discussing this topic so openly.

As we now know, a conglomerate of dentists known as the Worldwide Dental Mafia (WDM) gathered in small mountain town near Zurich (circa 2015, year of the goat) to address the unholy effectiveness of woven dental floss.

Although it takes over seven months for humans with very, very, very tiny hands to weave one small pack of floss, the floss itself cleans so well that dentists and their entire profession are rendered unnecessary.

You, my friend, should take care. I wish you well and recommend you move your stash to a different safehouse regularly. Always reside at least one continent distant from the actual location of the floss.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

OP, as others have noted, you have a lot of floss. Definitely a lifetime supply. On the one hand, I like the idea of having a lifetime supply of a product I like that isn't otherwise available, and it doesn't seem like your stash would take up that much space. On the other hand, there might be improvements in floss in the future, and/or the condition of the floss you've purchased might deteriorate over the course of 30-40 years, etc.

I'd probably compromise by keeping 10 years worth of floss, and selling the rest. :happy
CABob

Post by CABob »

DaftInvestor wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:33 pm I use whatever free samples the dentist gives me than whatever I find at the store - all the same to me. I would SELL SELL SELL while you can.
This must be a new high or low in forum topics, but it turns out I have some interest in the subject. DW is the primary flosser in my family and she liked the samples our dentist gave out but then found out that the brand was not available in any store we looked at. We ended up finding some available online in a large quantity which we purchased. We will have to see what the future brings.
Bob
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:21 pm There are huge floss farms in Montana. Better hope they don't catch on to this.
Best post of the thread! :sharebeer
greenwaves wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:03 pm I admire your courage in discussing this topic so openly.

As we now know, a conglomerate of dentists known as the Worldwide Dental Mafia (WDM) gathered in small mountain town near Zurich (circa 2015, year of the goat) to address the unholy effectiveness of woven dental floss.

Although it takes over seven months for humans with very, very, very tiny hands to weave one small pack of floss, the floss itself cleans so well that dentists and their entire profession are rendered unnecessary.

You, my friend, should take care. I wish you well and recommend you move your stash to a different safehouse regularly. Always reside at least one continent distant from the actual location of the floss.
A close second. :sharebeer
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
BL

Post by BL »

I believe I learned of this product right here some years ago and really liked the product. However it was difficult to find and even identify. I seem to recall Listerine and Mint on the box. I think I found some at Amazon some time ago; should have bought more.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:36 am
Haha, well, if you've ever used Listerine's woven floss you'll understand it's not a bubble. There is nothing like it on the market currently and I can totally understand why people are panicking that they will never produce these again. I hated flossing until I found these, and if I were sure that they were never producing them again, I would not sell a single pack of my stash, even at $25.
Wait, woah. The Listerine woven floss is discontinued??? I’ll give you $26.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

Hmmn, more like a yard a day. If I were trying to be frugal!

18,000 feet/1 yard/365 days = 16.43 years.

If I really liked the floss, and at my age, I'm not sure I would sell it. If my life expectancy were lower, I might sell part of it. Good floss is hard to find!

Good luck to OP!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster »

This sort of reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Elaine has to decide if a guy is "sponge-worthy". :beer
mouses

Post by mouses »

Pigeye Brewster wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:03 pm This sort of reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Elaine has to decide if a guy is "sponge-worthy". :beer
:-)
Tamales

Post by Tamales »

Would be nice if the OP specified exactly what product.
This, maybe?
https://www.ecrater.com/p/34365180/list ... gIctvD_BwE