Feminine Beauty Products - best bang for your buck?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
notmyhand

Feminine Beauty Products - best bang for your buck?

Post by notmyhand »

30 year old female, realizing my college beauty product regiment is no longer doing the job so looking for some replacements. Looking for products I could find at Target/Amazon, not at department store prices.

Dry sensitive skin with lots of acne scars
Starting to get forehead/eyebrow wrinkles
Mouse brown hair that I dye dark brown

Need suggestions for the following:
-Face wash
-Acne treatment
-Exfoliating facial scrub
-Wrinkle cream
-Acne scar correcting serum/cream
-Nail polish (want something that will last as long as possible)

Looking forward to trying the suggestions. Thank you in advance!
OnTrack2020

Re: Feminine Beauty Products - best bang for your buck?

Post by OnTrack2020 »

notmyhand wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:51 pm 30 year old female, realizing my college beauty product regiment is no longer doing the job so looking for some replacements. Looking for products I could find at Target/Amazon, not at department store prices.

-Face wash
-Acne treatment
-Wrinkle cream

Face wash - Any Aveeno or Neutrogena products

Acne - I have to be honest here. The best thing I've seen requires a doctor's prescription. Our daughter had terrible acne/pimples. Because it's basically caused by bacteria, our daughter tried a prescription. I can't remember what it was called, and it wasn't cheap, but it did wonders for her facial acne. I basically said to use it sparingly throughout the year, because it was over $300--but well worth the money versus continuing to buy all of these products which simply weren't working. Just a thought the next time you are at your doctor.

Facial scrub - Again, I would check out the Aveeno line of products

Wrinkle cream - Can't help you there--30 seems too young for wrinkles. :wink:

Acne scar cream - May need to talk to doctor

Nail polish - Our daughter always preferred the inexpensive nail polish from Walmart
Last edited by OnTrack2020 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

I'd second the Aveeno recommendation for facial cleanser and a dermatologist for acne. For wrinkles, the most important thing is sunscreen, either alone or in your foundation.
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Have you looked into the Asian Beauty subreddit? Nearly all of my skincare is now from recommendations from there.
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

Here are the products I use and recommend highly:

1) Cleanser: DHC- Deep Cleansing Oil (purchased at Costco for a discount, but I haven't seen it there recently) https://www.amazon.com/DHC-Deep-Cleansi ... 183&sr=8-4

2) Scrub: Philosophy vitamin c- microdelivery peel (AMAZING product... perhaps more than what you want to spend, but so worth it!
https://www.qvc.com/philosophy-super-si ... ml?sc=SRCH

A much less expensive alternate to the philosophy scrub/peel is the Olay version. I've never tried it, but I've read it's a similar product: https://www.amazon.com/Olay-Vitamina-m% ... RN1YERFZR5

3) Olay Regenerist Moisturizer (I buy it at Coscto in the 2-pack when it's $10 off, but it's sold at Amazon and other places as well. I don't like the consistency while it's on my skin, but it makes my face extremely soft) https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Aging-Moist ... 180&sr=1-5

4) Nail polish: The longest lasting polish short of professional gel nails is this amazing product called Perfect Formula. It comes in clear and two versions of pink-ish shades. It literally lasts until your nails start to grow out. https://www.qvc.com/Perfect-Formula-Pin ... ml?sc=SRCH

Edited to add that I just re-read your post and noted your mention of acne. I'm not sure how my suggestions above would impact your acne. I would start with a dermatologist.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Kennedy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:26 pm Here are the products I use and recommend highly:

4) Nail polish: The longest lasting polish short of professional gel nails is this amazing product called Perfect Formula. It comes in clear and two versions of pink-ish shades. It literally lasts until your nails start to grow out. https://www.qvc.com/Perfect-Formula-Pin ... ml?sc=SRCH
Kennedy:

Can you remove that nail polish with regular nail polish remover? I'd like to find something longer lasting until I go to the nail salon. :?

Thanks!

In terms of acne, Neutrogena makes a good oil-free acne wash that is orange; can buy at the grocery stores.

CeraVe also makes some good products (I like their tinted moisturizers with SPF and night cream with niacinamide) and I read they just came out with an acne foaming cleanser. Can find many of these at the grocery or Amazon, etc.

https://www.cerave.com/
mouses

Post by mouses »

notmyhand wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:51 pm 30 year old female, realizing my college beauty product regiment is no longer doing the job so looking for some replacements. Looking for products I could find at Target/Amazon, not at department store prices.

-Face wash
-Acne treatment
-Wrinkle cream

I would see a dermatologist, as others have recommended, especially for the acne. My understanding is that they can prescribe stuff that helps a lot. If you have insurance, that may pay for the office visit, as acne is a health condition.

It was a big win for me in terms of better hair condition, money, and appearance when I stopped dyeing my hair. Unless you are spending giant bucks to have it done professionally, it never looks quite right, either.

I wince at the idea of even using a facial scrub on skin with acne.
greenmonster

Post by greenmonster »

Agree with others on seeing a dermatologist - they can offer suggestions for many products on your list after evaluating your skin. Some prescriptions (Retin-A and other retinod derivatives) can treat both acne and wrinkles, though you'll need to look into whether your insurance covers them. Another resource is "Dr Dray" on YouTube - she's a dermatologist who reviews OTC products on her vlog.

That said, I have skin similar to yours and a couple suggestions below.

1. Face Wash - Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (careful not to buy the Daily by mistake, it's much harsher)
2. Anti-wrinkle cream (also may fade dark spots) - Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Anti-Wrinkle Retinol Cream with Hyaluronic Acid https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O ... UTF8&psc=1
edmundspenser

Post by edmundspenser »

For midpriced stuff--look at Paula's Choice, esp for toners, serums, acne etc. For recommendations of drugstore brands, look at Beautypedia (used to be owned by Paula's Choice). Reliable brands are Eucerin, Cerave. Make sure you wear sunscreen. Most exfoliants with little beads will irritate/destroy your skin.

Dermatologists are notorious for selling self-branded products that are no better than what you can get in a drugstore. So beware. Prescription meds from a dermatologist--that's another story.

A lot of people like The Ordinary brand. Read up on it!

Most skin stuff (with exception of prescription) is ALL the same. There are no secret ingredients.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I like No.7 products.
tommyt

Post by tommyt »

My husband prompted me to respond:

I also have dehydrated skin with acne scars and have spent a lot of time researching ingredients and finding products that are within an affordable price range. I second earlier recommendations of Dr. Dray, if you're not one to read research papers of ingredients, or just want to hear from a dermatologist, she's posted a lot of videos recommending products, skincare routines, and reviewing research.

Face wash/wrinkle cream: Cerave products are well formulated and dermatologist endorsed with minimal superfluous ingredients that can irritate sensitive skin. The hydrating face wash and daily moisturizing lotion are staples of mine. I haven't used their anti-aging line personally but know it is well liked and it contains retinol, which is an effective anti-aging and acne/acne scar reducing ingredient. Products are usually around $18 for several ounces depending on the product, available at Target/Amazon/drugstores.

Acne treatment/scar serum: Look for serums with retinol/retinoids and/or niacinimide, both are effective. The Ordinary has very affordable serums that are designed to only contain one active ingredient per product to be mixed and matched as well as to reduce unnecessary irritation. Their niacinimide serum has rave reviews and is something like $6/ounce. It's not at Target or Amazon as far as I know but is sold at Sephora and Ulta. They also have retinoid serums but it may be easier on your skin to use a cream formulated with lower amounts of retinol/retinoid as it can be drying. Acne is not just caused by bacteria, it's a complicated condition that is still not completely understood by dermatologists. OTC products/skin regimens are enough for some, not enough for others. Depending on your skin, you may benefit from seeing a dermatologist, use your best judgment.

Exfoliation: I would recommend using a glycolic acid product over a physical exfoliant given that you have dry skin. Glycolic acid is quite gentle, promotes hydration, and excellent for dry skin. The ordinary also has a Glycolic Acid Toner for $9/8 oz, a single bottle of which has lasted me over a year.

Nail polish: Sinful Colors, $3/bottle at Target. I sell press on nails on Etsy and prefer it over more expensive brands for myself and my products.

Lastly, as some others have noted, the best thing you can do for anti-aging and acne scars is regularly wear sunscreen. Light from the sun damages skin cells, resulting in wrinkles and darkened acne scars which you can prevent with sunscreen.

All of this being said, aging and "imperfections" are inevitable for everyone in some way or another. I am sure you are lovely and I hope you can embrace yourself with any skin you have! <3
mouses

Post by mouses »

edmundspenser wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:25 pm For midpriced stuff--look at Paula's Choice, esp for toners, serums, acne etc. For recommendations of drugstore brands, look at Beautypedia (used to be owned by Paula's Choice). Reliable brands are Eucerin, Cerave. Make sure you wear sunscreen. Most exfoliants with little beads will irritate/destroy your skin.
Products that contain those little beads are terrible for the environment. Here's why and how to tell if a product contains them:

https://www.environment.gov.au/protecti ... microbeads
sls239

Post by sls239 »

I use the Neutragena ultra gentle face wash. I've used the CeraVe before and it's ok too but a little thinner in consistency.

I put it on a Target washcloth so that takes care of the exfoliating part.

I use a cotton ball with some Alba botanical acnedote astringent on it for the rare pimple.

That's all I use of the things on your list.

But I do use neutragena oil free moisturizer sometimes as well.
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

If your insurance company will pay for it, and you have a dermatologist who thinks it will help alleviate the scarring, you may find Retin A very useful for both healing scars and preventing future wrinkles.

CeraVe makes an affordable line of moisturizers and cleansers. They are available at any drug store or Amazon.

Best of luck!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

HereToLearn wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:53 pm If your insurance company will pay for it, and you have a dermatologist who thinks it will help alleviate the scarring, you may find Retin A very useful for both healing scars and preventing future wrinkles.

CeraVe makes an affordable line of moisturizers and cleansers. They are available at any drug store or Amazon.

Best of luck!
My dermatologist has a list of products. CeraVe and Free and Clear. Are both on it.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Some good suggestions, and others have mentioned some products that I also like, such as CeraVe. I have also had good experience with Basis skin care products.

Only thing I didn't see and think might be helpful is to also be sure to lead a "healthy lifestyle". OP may well be doing this already, but it is so important to get enough rest, in my opinion. Maintain a good sleep regimen as well as exercise program and healthy eating. Easier said than done, I find, but still so essential.
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

Recommended by a few dermatologists I know:
-Cetaphil daily facial cleanser
-Neutrogena moisturizer with SPF
-Differin gel for acne
Williams57

Post by Williams57 »

Face wash: KOSE Softy Mo Deep Treatment Oil - easily found on Amazon

I know you did not ask for this, but I feel that these are important:

- Good physical mineral sunscreen. A lot of sunscreens on the market are chemical-based, and it often causes skin irritation, including acne. I use "Etude House Sunprise Mild Airy Finish Sun Milk SPF50+" as it is well priced
- This is a hard one. Alcohol and sugar are like skin enemies. My skin gets acne whenever I overindulge in sugar. My skin gets awful dry when I overindulge in alcohol.
PhysicsTeacher

Post by PhysicsTeacher »

I agree with everyone who has said that sun protection is key. I use CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion, which has SPF 30, fall through spring, and switch to Neutrogena Hydro Boost sunscreen SPF 50 in the summer when I'd sweat off all my sun protection within ten minutes of going outside if I didn't use something water/sweat resistant. I use Blistex Five Star Lip Protection to make sure my lips have sun protection as well. Plus, back before the pandemic hit and I switched to working from home, I wore a Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat for my half hour walks to and from the office. I'll trade looking like a dork now for lowering my risk of skin cancer in the decades to come.

I like the Basis Sensitive Skin Bar for my face wash. I have a giant tub of Equate "compare to Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream" that I use at bedtime in the winter and any other time my skin feels especially dry. I've had good results with Neutrogena Rapid Clear salicylic acid spot gel for the occasional blemish.

I'm 34 and not thrilled to see forehead lines starting to emerge, but I'm trying to resign myself to the inevitable.
HeartinAK

Post by HeartinAK »

Cerave and Cetaphil, both derm recommended for cleanser and moisturizer. Cerave has hylauronic acid (sp?).
Jules
Pencilskirt

Post by Pencilskirt »

You are smart to tackle wrinkles now. Often women think 30 is too young but it is far better aesthetically and economically to prevent them.

Get Botox. Get it for the 11’s and forehead lines before the lines get ingrained because at that point you will need Botox and fillers. Fillers are tricky and is an added expense to avoid.

Many women (and men) don’t know about the long-term effect of Botox. If you start early, you need less over time because those muscles are weaker. It will also be less obvious when your Botox has worn off and you refresh it.

If you are uncomfortable with the expense of Botox, eliminate alcohol. You will free up money and do your skin a huge favor. Double win.

Believe me about the alcohol, I have seen it age moderately drinking women in their 30’s.

For sunscreen on acne prone skin, try Coola matte finish. Wear sunscreen everyday. And put uv film on the car window. The left side of my face looks older than the right from commuting. Always wear sunglasses. Wear sunscreen on your eyes. They make sunscreen for eyes. (I use regular sunscreen because my eyes aren’t sensitive.) the skin around your eyes is almost impossible to fix so take care good care of it.

For your acne, see a professional. I wouldn’t waste the money trying to find a solution without consulting one first. A dermatologist will likely give you a retinoid or retinol product that can address acne and aging at the same time.

I’d also get to know your skin type and with the book “The Skin Type Solution.” You will be much better informed on what to look for in products.

The Ordinary line at Sephora is very affordable, they have lots of products aimed at acne.

Costco is really hard to beat on skin care prices. It is often half the cost of Sephora per ounce. And they will take back anything within a year. They carry fewer products because they only carry what they think customers will be happy with. Makes the membership well worth it and shipping is always free.

Seconding the Reddit skin care boards.

Kudos to you for starting early!
sedna273

Post by sedna273 »

Sunscreen: Neutrogena Sheer Touch - doesn't leave too much of a white cast if you have darker skin, affordable, and not too greasy.

Acne scars: The Ordinary has a "Buffet" serum that worked to help even out my skin. I had small pockmarks and brown spots but this helped fade it.

Face wash: I like Aveeno.
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:42 am
Kennedy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:26 pm Here are the products I use and recommend highly:

Kennedy:

Can you remove that nail polish with regular nail polish remover? I'd like to find something longer lasting until I go to the nail salon. :?

Thanks!

In terms of acne, Neutrogena makes a good oil-free acne wash that is orange; can buy at the grocery stores.

CeraVe also makes some good products (I like their tinted moisturizers with SPF and night cream with niacinamide) and I read they just came out with an acne foaming cleanser. Can find many of these at the grocery or Amazon, etc.

Yes, Perfect Formula can be removed with regular nail polish remover. Not sure why the polish is called "gel" polish, since it's basically just a a paint-on polish.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Kennedy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:36 pm

Kennedy:

Thanks!

Yes, Perfect Formula can be removed with regular nail polish remover. Not sure why the polish is called "gel" polish, since it's basically just a a paint-on polish.
Thank you!
Planner01

Post by Planner01 »

After consulting 3 dermatologist I finally found the routine and products that work best for me. Very simple yet effective. Nothing to do with labels and brands but focused on active ingredients that work.

Morning:
1. Cetaphil soap bar (not the liquid soap, that’s a different formula). Wash face morning at night. https://www.cetaphil.com/us/product/gen ... ansing-bar
2. Vitamin C, E and ferulic acid serum in the morning. I use Timeless https://www.timelessha.com/products/20- ... serum-1-oz
3. Cerave in sunscreen moisturizer

At night:
1. Wash with Cetaphil soap bar
2. Wait until it dries and two times a week apply some tretinoin cream. I buy it when I travel overseas as they sell it over the counter for less than $10 dollars a tube. Here in the states you would have to get a prescription, and if you are over 28 years old the insurance won’t pay for it because they see it as cosmetic purposes (in my case I use it for anti-aging but it’s mainly used for acne). Look up Tretinoin (generic version of Retin-a online). It’s gold standard. https://youtu.be/dqkt9rYtt2Q
3. On the days I don’t use tretinoin I moisturize with Oil of Olay Regenerist. Love that stuff!

Very simple but trust me, it works.
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:06 pm
Kennedy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:36 pm

Kennedy:

Thanks!

Thank you!
You're very welcome. If you try the polish, the key is to apply it in very thin coats, and make sure the first layer is super dry before applying a second coat. (I usually wait a day in between coats, but that's just me...) And you can extend the life of the polish without taking it off by applying another layer once your nails have started growing a little. That way, I can usually get two weeks or so without having to remove the polish.
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

Another vote for Olay Regenerist products. Highly rate by Consumer Reports when compared to products costing $100 + and you can get them in a 2-pack at Costco.
Michread

Post by Michread »

Dr. Bronner Castile liquid soap diluted with water in foaming dispenser for face washing

Braggs Apple cider vinegar for astringent

NOW brand MCT oil and add your own essential oils (lavender, rosemary, etc.) in small dropper bottle for moisturizer or organic virgin coconut oil (also for removing makeup)

Baking soda with water and/or oil above for exfoliating one or twice a week

Wrinkles are due to genetics, environment or poor eating. Eat well to diminish wrinkles and love yourself the way you are. :mrgreen:
Early retirement 2018
TNL

Post by TNL »

If you can join the Ulta rewards program, you can earn points for store credit. This effectively works as "cash back" and you can also get their store credit card (pay it off every month) to build points too.

Drugstore brands - I like Cetaphil and CeraVe and No. 7.

I recently started using Clarins, and while its price point gravitates up toward department store pricing, buying from their website will get you points to redeem for dollars off and freebies as well.
Toadandfriends

Post by Toadandfriends »

I second a few of the suggestions above:
1) Cleanser- I tend to use the generic versions of Cetaphil or Cera Ve gentle skin cleansers from Walmart or Target. Find something mild and fragrance free to avoid skin irritation.
I second the recommendation to check out Differin gel for acne-- it became available OTC fairly recently. You can get it at Walmart/Target etc. It is a prescription strength treatment for acne.
2) I'd avoid a physically abrasive scrub and try Paula's Choice AHA and/or BHA exfoliants. You could alternate if your skin tolerates it well or just go with BHA. They will help with both wrinkles and acne scars. BHA is best for acne - if your skin can tolerate it, the Paula Choice 4% gel version lasts a long time and I haven't found a comparable cheaper version that works as well. Fantastic for wrinkles, acne, scars etc. Rejuvenates the skin, but must use...
3) Sunblock, sun avoidance and hats and sunglasses every day to avoid future wrinkles and sun damage/spots and...skin cancer. I just use Equate Ultra protection 50 spf on my face/neck every day. Very cheap. It is the generic version at Walmart of the highly rated (by Consumer Reports) Coppertone ultraguard lotion
4) I also recommend the Ordinary for cheap retinol which is great for wrinkles/aging/sun damage. However, I wouldn't double up on Differin and retinol since they are similar - always see if your skin will tolerate a new treatment before diving in!
I think retinol and exfoliants are fantastic and worth money. I personally no longer pay a lot for cleanser or sunblock.
Best wishes.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

My wife tried a handful of products shortly after we got married and wasn’t happy with the results of any of them till she tried Rodan + Fields. I know they’re a pyramid scheme, but it works for her. But at about $100/month it isn’t the first thing I’d try. In fact, I only agreed to try it thinking it wouldn’t give any better results. :?
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

CeraVe's day moisturizer is great -- light sunscreen, good for keeping away wrinkles. Sun damage is most of the problem. For acne, I'd see a dermatologist. It's just such a pain to troubleshoot when the results are on one's face.

I am no help on nail polish as I can chip anything within about thirty seconds.
bluesky50

Post by bluesky50 »

jaqenhghar wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:12 pm Have you looked into the Asian Beauty subreddit? Nearly all of my skincare is now from recommendations from there.
I, too, have been following Asian Beauty recommended skincare most of time for several years. Really happy with the results.
Ricchan

Post by Ricchan »

bluesky50 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:59 pm
jaqenhghar wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:12 pm Have you looked into the Asian Beauty subreddit? Nearly all of my skincare is now from recommendations from there.
I, too, have been following Asian Beauty recommended skincare most of time for several years. Really happy with the results.
They helped me discover Benton and Corsx products, which I love, but boy are they expensive! At least compared to the drugstore brands I used to buy. I believe they are worth it though. At least that's what I keep telling myself. ;)
arrieros81

Post by arrieros81 »

The Ordinary (30% AHA peeling solution is a must-have)

Paulas Choice

EltaMD zinc sunscreens
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Rosehip oil after shower or washing your face will help with dry skin, acne, and scarring. It really will. I have recommended it before, and they were so happy. Radha is good brand for it. A 4oz bottle lasts forever. Vitamin E oil overnight will help with scarring and wrinkles.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next."
shariq1989

Post by shariq1989 »

whatever is on sale at costco!