Birds Making Mess on Deck —- Solutions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
J295

Birds Making Mess on Deck —- Solutions?

Post by J295 »

The local robins and sparrows like to sit on our deck railing and relieve themselves and make a mess… Any methods to keep them away? Thanks
UpperNwGuy

Re: Birds Making Mess on Deck —- Solutions?

Post by UpperNwGuy »

A large cat.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

An owl.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

We had same problem so we use an aluminum pie pan with a hole for a string and tied it on the railing and it has helped take care of the problem.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

you could try one of the large plastic owls. They sell them at hardware and garden stores.

Or ask a falconer to bring his bird by every so often.
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

I have a super soaker (kid's summer toy) loaded with water at the ready inside the door. The birds used to sit and just look at me smugly (while pooping on the rails) until the first time they are hit with a blast from the soaker. It has a 25-30 foot range of reach. My deck is half of that size. It did not take long for them to become nervous about that particular area for perching.

It also works on the annoying Northern flicker that likes to drum on my roof at 5am. I can reach him with the soaker, he too used to watch me try and shoo him away with no luck. He has since moved on to another place more friendly. (Yes, I would go out in my PJs at that hour to get him.)

Bonus - Environmentally friendly, no litter or other things need to be retrieved for the next round of engagement and the grass below would get an extra drink from time to time. :D
Topic Author
J295

Post by J295 »

These are great ideas. Thank you!

The soaker sounds like an exciting option.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I had a problem with A Mockingbird sitting on the bluebird house making a mess. I put up a pinwheel. Doesn't seem to bother the bluebirds and the Mocker has moved along.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.