Buying blinds

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gas_balloon

Buying blinds

Post by gas_balloon »

I need to replace ~10 blinds across my home. I want to replace the ones in bedroom with a blackout roller, and the remaining ones with a light filtering roller.

Any suggestions on where I should purchase the Blinds from, preferably reasonably priced. I see selectblinds.com as a popular online store - are there others recommended by Bogleheads?
MrBobcat

Re: Buying blinds

Post by MrBobcat »

blinds.com bought a boat load of window coverings from them over the years.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

blindsgalore.com has worked well for us. At the time, their pricing was better than other vendors.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Lowes
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

gas_balloon wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:39 pm I need to replace ~10 blinds across my home. I want to replace the ones in bedroom with a blackout roller, and the remaining ones with a light filtering roller.

Any suggestions on where I should purchase the Blinds from, preferably reasonably priced. I see selectblinds.com as a popular online store - are there others recommended by Bogleheads?
I've picked out custom blinds at my local Lowe’s. I could see the blinds I was purchasing with both eyes open.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

There are many many on-line options if you do not see what you want at the local home store.

I used Smith and somebody...can't remember who the somebody was...it wasn't Wesson.
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

I was very happy with the ones via costco at https://member.baliblinds.com/

And if you don't like them, you can return them, no questions asked, which helped a lot.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

If you want someone else to come and install nice stuff, Costco.

If you want cheap stuff that you DIY install, Lowes or Home Depot.

Roller shades are very easy to install if you have a drill, a screwdriver, and a level. But the better stuff really does look nicer, and the hardware is better quality and lasts longer.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

MrBobcat wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:51 pm blinds.com bought a boat load of window coverings from them over the years.
Thanks, they seem to be out of samples for most of their products right now. I will have to give it a try later.
supalong52 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:56 pm blindsgalore.com has worked well for us. At the time, their pricing was better than other vendors.
Ordered sample swatches, their prices are definitely cheaper than most other places.
Toons wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:57 pm Lowes
:happy
DesertDiva wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:59 pm I've picked out custom blinds at my local Lowe’s. I could see the blinds I was purchasing with both eyes open.
Thanks, I will check out Lowes and HomeDepot.
adamthesmythe wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:06 pm There are many many on-line options if you do not see what you want at the local home store.

I used Smith and somebody...can't remember who the somebody was...it wasn't Wesson.
Thanks, did a quick google search. I think you are referring to smith & noble.
ensign_lee wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:16 pm I was very happy with the ones via costco at https://member.baliblinds.com/

And if you don't like them, you can return them, no questions asked, which helped a lot.
Nice, I did not even know Costco sold blinds through them! Will definitely check it out.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

I’ve been very happy with justblinds.com

Have done an entire house and various one off orders through the years, good selection of materials and colors plus excellently priced especially with frequent sales.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

I’ve been very happy with justblinds.com

Have done an entire house and various one off orders through the years, good selection of materials and colors plus excellently priced especially with frequent sales.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I"ve used selectblinds for my last 3 homes. Yes, that's been a few years. :happy Good quality product, fast, cheap, good customer service if something goes wrong.

Can't say they are better than the others because I have had no need to try any others.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Try Smith & Noble.
Topic Author
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

After doing a price quote with most of the recommendations in this thread, I found that the big-box stores (Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot -- in that order) are the cheapest for single-cell blackout cellular shades.

Unfortunately Walmart does not offer custom-cut solution to fit the width of my window, and I don't feel adventurous to use a miter saw to cut it on my own. Lowes did not have the color selection I wanted, so I ended up going with Home Depot for now.

FWIW, the difference between the big box stores and online options like justblinds were almost 2x (Example, $40 vs $80-90 for some sizes). I am only comparing single-cell shades with blackout and no added bells-and-whistles.
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

I just commented on a thread a week or two ago asking the same questions. Have you searched?
Topic Author
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

j0nnyg1984 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:22 pm I just commented on a thread a week or two ago asking the same questions. Have you searched?
This is a 2 week old thread.. I'm just updating the comment thread with my findings based on comments I received earlier in the thread.
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

Just got mine from member.baliblinds.com , through Costco.

Pretty happy with them overall. Got the fancy motorized ones, but I'm sure they were a bigger headache than normal blinds would be. I'd recommend them.