Online Ammo purchase recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Housedoc

Online Ammo purchase recommendation

Post by Housedoc »

Late to the game of stocking up,most local places out of stock on 38 special and 45acp rounds. I would like to get my wife some range time and sharpen my skills. Pls post any sites you can recommend. Tks in advance.
Galaxy8

Re: Online Ammo purchase recommendation

Post by Galaxy8 »

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Freedom Munitions is where me and shooting buddies buy from for target shooting.

https://www.freedommunitions.com/ammunition/pistol.html

Not sure about stock at this point. Usually good prices. I buy reloads sometimes for practice.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

My two favorites:

Http://www.ammoman.com

Http://www.sgammo.com

Buy cheap and stack deep!

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

TheDDC wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:02 pm My two favorites:

-TheDDC
I havent looked in the past month or so, but SGAmmo's prices were a whole lot higher than normal. They couldnt fill orders fast enough in march and i think they were taking advantage. May have calmed down some i dont know.

ETA I was shopping for 5.56 at the time.
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

bloom2708 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:00 pm Freedom Munitions is where me and shooting buddies buy from for target shooting.

Not sure about stock at this point. Usually good prices. I buy reloads sometimes for practice.
Freedom munitions is great. Good prices and I see most of the best shooters in the range using them.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

gmc4h232 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:14 pm

-TheDDC
I havent looked in the past month or so, but SGAmmo's prices were a whole lot higher than normal. They couldnt fill orders fast enough in march and i think they were taking advantage. May have calmed down some i dont know.

Ammo prices are subject to as many current event factors as the S&P, if not more. :) It would not surprise me if they are higher today than even a month ago. I always found SGammo to be reasonable price wise even with shipping factored in. I would find better deals there than Ammoman with free shipping. SGammo ships from Oklahoma whereas Ammoman ships from NJ which may factor into your decision based on ship time.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

sk2101 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:17 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:00 pm Freedom Munitions is where me and shooting buddies buy from for target shooting.

Freedom munitions is great. Good prices and I see most of the best shooters in the range using them.
Yes. Me and 2 friends went to the indoor pistol range today. First time in 3 months. Was refreshing to do something.

They had a few new rules, but overall very good. We were the only 3 at the range. I lost our little competition and had to buy coffee.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Frugalbear

Post by Frugalbear »

Ammoempire.com

Palmettostatearmory.com
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

I just remembered of this site that was created when there was shortage of ammo during Obama years. If you are looking for the best price it's worth a look:
http://www.gunbot.net/
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

Probably isn't too much for great prices or rebates to be had right now. Buying in bulk helps on pricing, especially if you don't get free shipping. gun.deals works pretty well. I also have the wikiarms app. Usually I just end up buying from Academy.com, Natchezss.com, palmettostatearmory.com, or sgammo.com when I can combine sales and rebates. Everyone should have a large ammo fort :beer

Most of my plinking is done with my reloads. I wouldn't recommend that unless you really want to do it as that takes time and probably doesn't really save any money given the large up front cost and most people just end up shooting more.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

Here's the site I've been using for the last year or so. Ammunition Depot. Prices for 9 mm and 38 special are generally excellent, but I've never checked on the 45 acp. Based in Florida, shipping is quick and reasonable. Orders processed quickly with Amazon-like precision.

Inventory has been great, up until March, then got low, then returned to normal, and now just slightly limited from what I'm used to (which is pretty normal given market conditions). Normally my orders go out next business day, but today they are quoting 5-7 day shipping delays. I especially like their pricing on the PMI-brand of ammo that I like - 38 special FMJ rounds for my training - cheap, clean, reliable. But, of course, they offer much more.

ammunitiondepot.com

Post by 80125 »

Good sources listed upthread, add www.ammunitiontogo.com. Reload and/or roll local long-term.
--cbu
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

My two favorites were already mentioned.

SGAmmo is always my first choice closely followed Targetsportsusa.

You can find occasional deals at Palmetto State Armory(they kick out .22lr deals often) and you never know what you'll see when you search case lot sales at other places like AIM Surplus or Cabelas. For smaller lots and occasional oddball stuff, I've had good luck with Graf & Sons. Brownells and Midway kick out the rare deal if you watch them closely too.
Brewtownphilee

Post by Brewtownphilee »

AKFiles also runs a list of best prices on all the major calibers that is updated hourly. You can search with or without shipping costs:

https://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108366

:beer
"Fortuna Eruditis Favet"
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

AmmoToGo.com

Just bought 1000 38 special for about $320. Delivery in 4 days...
They had plenty.

Good Luck
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

SGAmmo is my go-to, I have never had a problem with service, shipping, or prices. I buy regularly and avoid any shopping during panics (elections, nuclear disasters, pandemics, economic turmoil) so I can’t speak to what they do with prices. I don’t think any industry experienced gouging at the level of the PPE industry, but as someone who did have to pay COVID prices for gym equipment I think businesses pricing based on demand for non-essential / elastic goods is fair. What was done with PPE was totally different, and I hope 3M wins their suit and some change is forced in the major online marketplaces (I still see a lot of stuff marked as “collectible” on Amazon to skirt the pricing algorithms).
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

I had a good experience with this company: https://www.ammoland.com/2009/05/ammuni ... z6PFt7x2OI
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:00 pm
Free shipping
Free shipping is usually only on an order of 1,000 rounds. They might do free shipping on 500 rounds, I think I have seen that, but generally it is for 1k and I doubt you can combine different manufacturers or calibers. If you live nearby, they are in Cheshire CT, you can order online and specify you'll pick up and save the shipping cost for orders that don't qualify for free shipping.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

Chuck107 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:02 pm Wow just Wow, I stocked up a couple of years ago, I talked with my son today and he is looking to get his permit. Ex-Military.
I went on line a bit ago and everything seems wiped out.
Incredible.
This is crazy. Anyone know a site that has .22lr and 9mm in stock? My wife decided she wanted to get some range time in. Everyone around here is sold out.
We plan. G-d laughs.
A_Bond

Post by A_Bond »

MishkaWorries wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:25 pm
Chuck107 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:02 pm Wow just Wow, I stocked up a couple of years ago, I talked with my son today and he is looking to get his permit. Ex-Military.
Incredible.
This is crazy. Anyone know a site that has .22lr and 9mm in stock? My wife decided she wanted to get some range time in. Everyone around here is sold out.
Federal, on their site, has 9MM in stock fairly frequently. Ship time, if you find it in stock, is within 15 business days.
buy. hold. repeat.
Index24

Post by Index24 »

-TheDDC
Sgammo.com has always worked well for me too
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

And if you're not, you should give steel case ammo a look. I'm not proficient enough (or have the desire) to get into a debate over steel vs brass, but for simple range time, if your firearm will run it you can't beat the price of steel.
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash »

SG Ammo usually has decent prices. Family owned and reasonable prices.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

What on earth are you people going to do with all this ammo?
6bquick

Post by 6bquick »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:33 pm What on earth are you people going to do with all this ammo?
Shoot it. Eventually.
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

6bquick wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:26 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:33 pm What on earth are you people going to do with all this ammo?
Shoot it. Eventually.
Great answer🤗
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

At one time, it seems not long ago, 9mm steel/aluminum case (foreign brand) could be had for 16 cents/per round (about $160/case when bought by our range club). Now, similar (off shore) brands are selling for $600/case, if available, and in limited purchase quantities. Some vendors are no longer selling the cases, only smaller individual boxes for higher prices.

Our range club has discontinued shooting sports for this reason. The thought is that we are unable to replenish what we use no matter the price, as well as the increased costs.

Will this "normalize" in time as it has done in the past and how long it will take, if ever, for it to "normalize" in supply and price is unknown.
Any projections?

j :happy
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Anyone want to trade some ammo for all this toilet paper that I have loaded up in the garage?
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

tm3 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:28 am Anyone want to trade some ammo for all this toilet paper that I have loaded up in the garage?
Market timer! :oops:

You need to buy and hold. What makes you think the price of TP will not go back up? Do you really think you know more than the consensus of the entire consumer economy?
We plan. G-d laughs.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

Study history. When a group of people say they hate you for who you are or what you believe, you better listen to them.

At best, nothing bad happens and all you are out is a little time and money. At worse, the cattle cars start rolling again.
We plan. G-d laughs.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

MishkaWorries wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:46 pm
Study history. When a group of people say they hate you for who you are or what you believe, you better listen to them.

At best, nothing bad happens and all you are out is a little time and money. At worse, the cattle cars start rolling again.
I'm a history major.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Let’s not derail the thread please. If you have advice for ammo purchase then please offer.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Great source links provided in this thread all have various specials and change in supply by the week/month, so check them all.

In times of scarcity of either TP (a must) or ammo, there will be a changing exchange rate between the two.
IE: Jumbo pack of Charmin Ultra Soft (new in package) per "X" rounds of brass case 9mm. Etc.

Online reliable sources for either is a must.

j :D
ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus »

TheDDC wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:19 pm

-TheDDC

Ammo prices are subject to as many current event factors as the S&P, if not more. :) It would not surprise me if they are higher today than even a month ago. I always found SGammo to be reasonable price wise even with shipping factored in. I would find better deals there than Ammoman with free shipping. SGammo ships from Oklahoma whereas Ammoman ships from NJ which may factor into your decision based on ship time.

-TheDDC
Another recommendation for SGAmmo. Used them for years.

Totally ethical business. Their prices are higher because there is an insane demand for both guns and ammo right now.

Most calibers have doubled or tripled in price over the last year.
Trade the news and you will lose.
rec630

Post by rec630 »

A_Bond wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:57 pm
Incredible.
Federal, on their site, has 9MM in stock fairly frequently. Ship time, if you find it in stock, is within 15 business days.
SGAmmo snd TargetSports if you get lucky.

Federal has some shipping limitations. They will not sell/ship to my state even though there are no laws preventing them from doing so.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Having lived through several runs on firearm related items, ammo, parts, whole firearms, etc, this is an example of why you should never be without a few basic supplies. Buy it when it is available and cheap so you aren't forced to pay a premium when you want or need to use it. My only advice as one who has been found wanting before is to continue to hit up the popular websites, occasionally hit them at random times(example-when you first wake up), do not rely on a website to "notify when it is in stock" as it will be sold out an hour prior to you receiving the notification, and do not pay a premium for those that re-sell Walmart priced ammo at gun shops or gun shows.
What do people do with consumable items whether they be Tide Pods, coffee filters, small cans of Schweppes tonic water for G&Ts, toilet paper, or ammunition? They use it. At one time I was shooting close to 750 rounds of 9mm a week, and I wasn't shooting much compared to many folks I associated with at work.
APX32

Post by APX32 »

Lots of great info has been shared already on where to look for ammo, including several I use myself. If you are really desperate and most places are out of stock, check out gunbroker.com. You will pay extra but I suppose that’s the price for not having acted prior to this run on ammo.

As to what we all do with all this ammo, well, we shoot it as has been mentioned already. I visit the range about 8-10x per year, and go thru 1000-1200 rounds total which is actually a small number compared to many folks I know. I like target practice as a hobby and also keep my firearm skills sharp, and with ammo not exactly being cheap, about 200 or so rounds per visit is my usual number. No rounds are wasted and make sure everything is in working order, including me! I keep my home/self defense ammo separate from the range allocation.
20% SPY | 12% GLD | 68% Cash
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
owenmia

Post by owenmia »

Lucky gunner or ammunition depot.

Be sure to wear ear plugs AND headphone earmuffs over them

It is very easy to end up with hearing loss tinnitus from shooting as you get older.

Wear both.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

When prices are high, buy a few shares of OLN. :wink:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/OLN/
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

owenmia wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:41 pm Lucky gunner or ammunition depot.

Be sure to wear ear plugs AND headphone earmuffs over them

It is very easy to end up with hearing loss tinnitus from shooting as you get older.

Wear both.
What! .... what!

j🌺
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Learning to reload and having the tools and skills is also an ammo source. Especially large calibers.
Although components can also get scarce and overpriced.

j🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anonsdca

Post by anonsdca »

-TheDDC

I am also looking for 5.56, neither of these have it as of today based on the messages on their sites. I have a decent gun/pawn/build shop near me that seems to have it a lot.
batpot

Post by batpot »

sk2101 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:17 pm

Their reloads are not good quality.
Had a bunch of dead primers and jams.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

The short answer is "shoot it" but I'll give a longer answer that applies to many people.

Suppose, for example, you shoot competitively, whether some of the accuracy focused events or "combat style" events. How many rounds does that take? Well, if you want to get good, we are talking thousands of rounds a year. If that seems like a lot, think about how many swings a golfer takes trying to improve, or how many free throws a kid takes learning to shoot a basketball well. You want to improve, you practice.

Now ponder that shipping costs can be pretty high for something heavy like ammunition, and often buying in volume can reduce both ammunition cost and shipping costs. Most people like to save money.

I grant you there are people who seem to hoard things, whether ammo or (more recently toilet paper ....) but there are pretty good reasons for people involved in the shooting sports to be buying lots of ammunition at one time.