Recommend a mattress?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JoeChick10

Recommend a mattress?

Post by JoeChick10 »

DW and I are looking to purchase a new bed and mattress. King size. Budget of around $1K for mattress only. Both side sleepers and seem to prefer medium firmness. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
VinoVita

Re: Recommend a mattress?

Post by VinoVita »

Casper! Love it!
jjface

Post by jjface »

Saatva! Love it !!!
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

JoeChick10 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:48 pm DW and I are looking to purchase a new bed and mattress. King size. Budget of around $1K for mattress only. Both side sleepers and seem to prefer medium firmness. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
100% recommend saatva. Changed our life 2 years ago and sleep well since. Message me for a referral link
VTSAX and chill
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

We like our Avocado Green mattress. It's a heavy beast though, well built.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

geerhardusvos wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:01 pm 100% recommend saatva. Changed our life 2 years ago and sleep well since. Message me for a referral link
Which model / firmness did you get? We're using my 13yo latex foam mattress, which DW hates - she prefers a pillow top, I prefer firm, I wonder if the Saatva Classic would be a good compromise.
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

Quercus Palustris wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:33 pm
geerhardusvos wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:01 pm 100% recommend saatva. Changed our life 2 years ago and sleep well since. Message me for a referral link
Which model / firmness did you get? We're using my 13yo latex foam mattress, which DW hates - she prefers a pillow top, I prefer firm, I wonder if the Saatva Classic would be a good compromise.
Lol same! I prefer firm, and my wife prefers pillow top. We went with luxury firm and it is amazing. Both 100% satisfied
VTSAX and chill
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Tuft and needle. Medium firm and great for side sleepers. Check out the reviews.
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

I recommend checking out Mattress Underground for tips, reviews and recommendations.

I describe this website as the bogleheads.org of mattresses. Great information and unbiased. Which is as rare in the mattress world as it is in the financial world.

Their basic premise - everyone's needs are specific and what's good for someone may not be for someone else. Also, they make the point that often for the same price, you can get a much better quality mattress from smaller manufacturers.

I learned of Sleep EZ from that site and bought two mattresses from them, and have been very happy. They are but one of many smaller firms highly regarded on mattress underground.
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

[quote=geerhardusvos post_id=5308943 time=1591935067 user_id=153353]
[quote="Quercus Palustris" post_id=5308907 time=1591932796 user_id=133321]
[quote=geerhardusvos post_id=5308765 time=1591927302 user_id=153353]
100% recommend saatva. Changed our life 2 years ago and sleep well since. Message me for a referral link
[/quote]
[/quote]

Lol same! I prefer firm, and my wife prefers pillow top. We went with luxury firm and it is amazing. Both 100% satisfied
[/quote]

FYI, some smaller manufacturers of latex and foam mattresses can make half the mattress a different firmness from the other. This is because latex and foam mattresses have multiple layers andtthey can use different firmness in the middle layers. This also makes some mattresses adjustable. You can rearrange the layers to adjust the firmness. Here's an example - https://sleepez.com/products/natural-latex-mattress/ (select personalized when choosing firmness). This is just an example, many other mattress companies do the same.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

noraz123 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:10 am I recommend checking out Mattress Underground for tips, reviews and recommendations.

I describe this website as the bogleheads.org of mattresses. Great information and unbiased. Which is as rare in the mattress world as it is in the financial world.

Their basic premise - everyone's needs are specific and what's good for someone may not be for someone else. Also, they make the point that often for the same price, you can get a much better quality mattress from smaller manufacturers.

I learned of Sleep EZ from that site and bought two mattresses from them, and have been very happy. They are but one of many smaller firms highly regarded on mattress underground.
+1. I totally agree. I was referred to this site about 15 months ago. It convinced me to buy a latex mattress. I am very happy that I did. There are quite a few small mattress companies recommended on TMU. I chose Arizona Premium but would have been comfortable with several others.

There are a lot of mattress sites on the Internet, but most are fronts for mattress mfrs who pay them for their links. TMU was by far the most objective resource I found.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

JoeChick10 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:48 pm Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
As you've already seen, mattress recommendations vary widely and the only way you are going to find the perfect mattress for YOU, is to find someplace to lay on one and try it out.
Osterix

Post by Osterix »

purple
ams-texas

Post by ams-texas »

+1 on Sleep EZ latex.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

https://sleepingorganic.com/

Not cheap, but you can customize each side of the bed with 3 or 4 different layers and if not optimal, re-arrange the layers. If you have firm, medium and soft and it is too soft, flop the medium and soft layers. I would probably do the 4 layers split so we can customize each side.

100% latex. You pick Dunlop or Talalay for each layer and the firmness. There is a custom tool to help you decide as well.

This was my second choice. We ended up using a local mattress company that makes your mattress for you. We did a "no foam" mattress. It has been great and the company is not far away if we have questions/issues.

Next I will be trying the Sleeping Organic.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
tivattom

Post by tivattom »

My wife and I share a king size bed. We have since stopped buying king size mattresses and buy 2 twin XL mattresses that together make the same size as a king.

Its so much better because you can flip the sides independently giving you many more options to use the sides. They are much easier to maneuver and carry and cheaper to replace. I'd highly recommend it.
david99

Post by david99 »

We recently bought a Simmons beauty rest silver model BRS 900 from Costco and have been happy with it. It is a medium firm.
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

Have been in the industry (including product development, factory inspections, etc.) and my recommendation to friends and family is to look at Brentwood Home and Avocado Green. Product quality, design, and materials is better than others at their price point and they have a 1 yr return policy. The 2 brands are owned by the same folks and do NOT outsource any of their manufacturing (unlike most of the brands listed here who bid out to the lowest cost factories that then tend to cut corners to make a profit).
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Sleeplikethedead.com
Unbiased review. Or at least it was when I was shopping last year.
CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy »

I like the Avocado Green with the attached Pillowtop. It's medium firm, very comfortable, has a 1-year trial, made with all natural items, and has a long guaranty.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Housedoc wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:35 pm Sleeplikethedead.com
Unbiased review. Or at least it was when I was shopping last year.
Agree with using Sleep Like The Dead - https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/. That site was the most independent of any I could find, and I spent a LOT of time researching mattresses. After all the research, it came down to a choice between Saatva and Avocado. Since we have two guest bedrooms, we selected one of each. The Avocado is probably a 7 in terms of firmness, the Saatva is a luxury firm and is probably about a 6 in terms of firmness. People who have slept on both generally prefer the Avocado, probably just for the extra firmness. Our DD purchased an Avocado after sleeping on ours.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

JC10
Recommend you check out Stearns & Foster mattresses.

Made in USA

ms gamboolgal and I both really like our Stearns & Foster mattress. We have also purchased them for the guest rooms.

gamboolman...
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

Read this article years ago. There is a lot of money in mattresses and referrals and very few legitimate websites: https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sle ... tress-wars

Mattress Underground seems like a legitimate site that recommends local mattress stores.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

noraz123 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:10 am I recommend checking out Mattress Underground for tips, reviews and recommendations.
I concur with spending some time on MU and also checking out Sleep Like the Dead.

Ultimately, however, it is a preference thing and if possible I recommend going to some stores and getting a general idea of what appeals to you (firmness, all latex vs not, etc.). There can also be advantages to buying locally.

If you are going to order online, IMO the single most important factor is a robust return policy. Not all "firms" are the same firmness and not all "medium firms" are medium etc. so nothing beats being able to sleep on it for a couple of weeks and swap it out if needed.

FWIW, I bought Sleep on Latex. More importantly, my shopping led me to purchase an adjustable bed (locally) and the adjustability has had a MUCH bigger impact on sleeping comfort than the type of mattress or firmness or whatever possibly could.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

We tried the Tuft and Needle Mint and are very happy with it. That said, we all seem to have different preferences for mattresses so I don't know how much good that actually does you.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
bob991

Post by bob991 »

We just bought an Arizona Premium mattress and really like it. Ultimate hybrid pocket coil, you can customize topper. Mattresses are so hard to shop for. I absolutely hate going onto an actual mattress store, they have the sleaziest sales people. Good luck!
squirm

Post by squirm »

You need to go to a mattress store and lie down (not sit) on them. Everyone is different. I wouldn't take mattress advice from someone else. Also getting advice from a 70 year old's isn't the same as a 20 year old.
scorcher31

Post by scorcher31 »

We got the costco version of the casper and love it!
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

jjface wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:58 pm Saatva! Love it !!!
Which firmness level?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

geerhardusvos wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:01 pm
JoeChick10 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:48 pm DW and I are looking to purchase a new bed and mattress. King size. Budget of around $1K for mattress only. Both side sleepers and seem to prefer medium firmness. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
Which firmness level?
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:12 pm
geerhardusvos wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:01 pm
Which firmness level?
Luxury firm is what we went with, and very pleased. My wife likes pillow top and I like firm, great balance and we’re both happy. Very supportive.
VTSAX and chill
GeoMetry

Post by GeoMetry »

Whatever is on sale at Costco.
pablolo

Post by pablolo »

Puffy anyone?
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

This one. We've had it for six years and it is as comfortable as the day we bought it. Hasn't sagged at all.

We bought the 12" King.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C ... UTF8&psc=1

We support it with this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M ... UTF8&psc=1

The bed is nice and cool, medium firmness, although will probably feel more firm than you're used to at first if you've never had a memory foam just because that's the nature of memory foam. You don't get the bounce factor like you do with springs.

You will love it.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

I'm a fan of the Doctors's Choice line from Denver Mattress. Just got a Doctor's Choice Plush, and it's great. Looks like a king is $900. Consumer Reports rates it as a "best buy", and it's good for all angles and sizes of sleepers.
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

Have you already purchased? I have found a great resource online "Sleep Like The Dead" there's others but that one is very comprehensive when we were mattress shopping and we ended up finding a great memory foam at 1/4 the price of the big name brand. Good luck!
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
Boomer01

Post by Boomer01 »

After a bunch of research, we just bought a WinkBed. Great hybrid for all sleep types.
catdoctor

Post by catdoctor »

kirkland signature by Stearns & Foster
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thread revival! Not wanting to head down a rabbit hole of research. Have same Sealy Newcomer mattress since 2007. Lately have been waking up feeling like I've been beat up. Not sure if this can be attributed to mattress but figure it's time anyway. Any recent recommendation? No pillow top necessary. Medium firm is good too. Not looking for anything fancy in terms of budget. Like to keep it under 1k. Thanks!!!
squirm

Post by squirm »

BashDash wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:51 pm Thread revival! Not wanting to head down a rabbit hole of research. Have same Sealy Newcomer mattress since 2007. Lately have been waking up feeling like I've been beat up. Not sure if this can be attributed to mattress but figure it's time anyway. Any recent recommendation? No pillow top necessary. Medium firm is good too. Not looking for anything fancy in terms of budget. Like to keep it under 1k. Thanks!!!
My wife and I just bought a mattress. I think you just need to go to the store and lie and them. Even at that, my first question is what is your return policy. My back is pretty finicky.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Highly recommend latex as the material that's right under you. Many brands out there, can check out mattress underground. Either all latex, or latex on top of springs (hybrid).
rec630

Post by rec630 »

Buying a mattress is such a horrible experience for me, worse than buying a car. It is so difficult to compare given the way mattresses are made, branded and marketed. The number Ive read that fail or develop slumps and tried to return seems amazingly high.

A decent resource I think https://www.themattressunderground.com/
Brantley

Post by Brantley »

We bought a Casper and it killed my back. Had upgraded from a smaller tempur pedic. We returned the Casper and bought the Tempur Cloud which comes in a box similar to Casper. It feels about the same as our prior Tempur Pedic and is very comfortable.
~Brantley
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

We bought a Saavta mattress 3 years ago and still love it.

We bought a Thuma bedframe 2 weeks ago. What an improvement over our old Ikea Malm bedframe!
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks for the replies!!
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

We purchased King Koil, the extended life series; specifically the Beckett model. We got it from Sit n Sleep, but it's also available through Macy's online. The mattress contains about 35% latex, which I prefer. Also the warranty is better than most of the manufacturers. It was great to be able to cross shop the mattress, and I used Sit n Sleep because they will always beat the price for like items.
I think that by and large the mattress business is sketchy, especially when the manufacturers rename same spec models. This protects the retailers because then they aren't really competing against each other on price. We were lucky to see the identical model being sold by two well known retailers. Armed with this, I was able to negotiate on price.
If you want to know more about the mattress, I suggest looking at the contents label, which is required by law to be attached to edge of the bed. The sales people looked at me like I was crazy when I did this, but I tell you it really helped me to focus in on what I wanted. A lot of mattresses don't contain latex. Based on my review of Consumers Report many of the most highly rated mattresses have latex in them.
Of course, it all starts by laying down on the bed for at least 10 minutes to really get a feel for it. Once you get a sense for what you like, then you can look at the contents labels and this will help you to narrow your choices.
Good luck.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Get something with at least a 30 day trial and no hassle return policy (e.g. refund, shipping). Many stores now have 120 or even 180 day periods you can return. Some might charge one way or two way shipping. Still, paying $99 in shipping is better than being stuck with a $3,000 mattress you can't sleep on.

If your store has a no refund/no exchange policy you should probably shop somewhere else.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks for all the extra replies! Really hesitant to buy something without testing. Saw some decent deals at Macy's ( they seem) . We currently have a Sealy plush and I saw a SealyPosturepedic Lawson LTD II 11.5" Plush Mattress Set including a box spring for 699$. This seems comparable to out older mattress but who knows without testing like I said.
i<3Investing

Post by i<3Investing »

jjface wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:58 pm Saatva! Love it !!!
We have both. A casper and a Saatva. I like the Saatva more :)
Green Street

Post by Green Street »

One for the Layla mattress, one side is soft and could be flipped over for the firm side. Comes with two free memory foam pillows right now
Searching Through The FiRE