Broken Onkyo Audio Receiver Under Warranty. What Recourse do I Have?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Dougiefresh

Broken Onkyo Audio Receiver Under Warranty. What Recourse do I Have?

Post by Dougiefresh »

For the second time in 10 months my audio receiver has failed. It's the same part. Each occurrence the unit has sat in the repair shop for one month awaiting parts to be shipped by Onkyo. Their customer service is terrible! Aside from the inconvenience, I am concerned that the unit will fail again, and because of the delay I have effectively lost two months of warranty. I feel like asking for my money back. Any suggestions?
atikovi

Re: Broken Onkyo Audio Receiver Under Warranty. What Recourse do I Have?

Post by atikovi »

Audio receiver? Is that like a radio? Take it to the repair shop to get it fixed and then sell it. Don't buy that brand again. You can ask for your money back but good luck with that.
Topic Author
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

Thanks for the suggestion. You connect up your speakers, CD player, TV to it. Also use through blue tooth to connect to Spotify through your I phone. I don't know if in good conscience I could sell it to anyone.
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

atikovi wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:07 pm Audio receiver? Is that like a radio? Take it to the repair shop to get it fixed and then sell it. Don't buy that brand again. You can ask for your money back but good luck with that.
I think all of the brands are like this. I had a top-of-the-line factory refurbed Denon that had a volume control issue. It was covered under warranty, but it was a super pain to get it to them and when it came back many months later, it had the exact easily repeatable problem. I eventually gave up and took it as a loss. My wife will not allow me to buy any Denon products after that experience. Ironically, I switched to Onkyo after that.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Was it expensive? What model?

I've had 2 Onkyos and a Yamaha and haven't had any issues. Onkyo, at least at one time, gave you a lot for the money. Some models were prone to overheating but that was years ago. I haven't kept up with the brands/models.

If it is cheap you might want to toss it. I think all of mine are at least 5 years old.

Another option is to google the problem and see if it is something easily fixed by yourself.

I've been pretty luck with most electronics.
Topic Author
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

The Model is Onkyo TX-NR585 7.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver ($300). I goggled Onkyo and found an older thread on AVS Forum which seemed to validate that there were issues https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-recei ... -a-96.html.
But as you can see from the description, they were extending warranties only through 2018.
In any case, it seems like Onkyo should do better by this. Has anyone had success contacting a consumer affairs agency? I live in California.
I suppose last resort is to bag it, and look to purchase another receiver. Has anybody had success with a brand in the $300 +- range?
Teague

Post by Teague »

atikovi wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:07 pm Audio receiver? Is that like a radio? Take it to the repair shop to get it fixed and then sell it. Don't buy that brand again. You can ask for your money back but good luck with that.
Receivers were a piece of audio equipment that combined a radio tuner, pre-amplifier, amplifier and sometimes other things. A signal from let's say a turntable or tape deck would go in one "end" and speaker output voltage would come out the other. Those speakers did not fit into your ears, surprisingly. Inputs and outputs could typically be switched. One could buy receivers at places like Circuit City or through the British East India Company. The radio tuner could come in handy to listen to listen to early rock and roll, or news like the Wright Bros. first flight at Kitty Hawk or what Kaiser Wilhelm was up to. Receivers were common until disco music made its appearance and most self-respecting receivers committed suicide en masse.
Semper Augustus
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Dougiefresh wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:44 pm I suppose last resort is to bag it, and look to purchase another receiver. Has anybody had success with a brand in the $300 +- range?
I've been very happy with Yamaha receivers. This is in the $500 range but take a look at the Yamaha RX-V685.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Teague wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:10 pm
Receivers were a piece of audio equipment that combined a radio tuner, pre-amplifier, amplifier and sometimes other things. A signal from let's say a turntable or tape deck would go in one "end" and speaker output voltage would come out the other. Those speakers did not fit into your ears, surprisingly. Inputs and outputs could typically be switched. One could buy receivers at places like Circuit City or through the British East India Company. The radio tuner could come in handy to listen to listen to early rock and roll, or news like the Wright Bros. first flight at Kitty Hawk or what Kaiser Wilhelm was up to. Receivers were common until disco music made its appearance and most self-respecting receivers committed suicide en masse.
Bravo, sir (or ma’am), Bravo!
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

Teague wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:10 pm

you did need the proper crystals for hard rock

the earlier crystal radio sets from the '20's didn't hold up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_radio
Topic Author
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

Dear Respondents: Thanks for all of your ideas. Sound bar sounds interesting or suppose I could go with an entertainment system - think it's called surround sound?.
Sound quality is a concern though. I don't like the idea of giving up my beloved Boston Acoustics speakers. They are 40 years old. Maybe time for a change out?
I'll check into the Yamaha brand as well.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
Topic Author
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

Thanks Chuck
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Wirecutter has some suggestions:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... -receiver/

I have been pleased with my Yamaha. I have a set of Sennheiser wireless headphones and a few years ago when I was shopping it was hard to find a receiver that could support a traditional headphone jack that didn't turn off the other speakers when the headphones were plugged in (which, of course wireless headphones always are).

Here's a link to my (now discontinued) Yamaha:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_v ... index.html
Topic Author
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

Thanks Bluebolt
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I have had good luck with Onkyo receivers over the years. My oldest unit was about 17 years old, and it just died. I had it in the garage for my music listening. We have had some serious lightening recently, so it might have taken a hit.

I switched out the dead one to an Onkyo receiver I bought in 2008. So, I have a quality source for music in my garage still.

Unfortunately, style no longer calls for an entertainment center full of electronics and speakers. So, a sound bar and a wireless sub-woofer serves the purpose.

My newest Onkyo is a network receiver. I can stream music to it, it has all the bells and whistles, THX, etc.. The problem now is where to put the receiver, and the speakers. Our beautiful oak entertainment center was deemed excess.

So, my network receiver is unopened and residing in my closet. It is in reserve in case my Onkyo in my garage craps out. Sadly, an era has ended, but I still cling to what I can, and a powerful receiver and lots of speakers makes me happy. DW, not so much. She rules the living room with an iron fist, but I rule the garage. :annoyed

OP, I feel your pain! I have 6 surround-sound speakers, a center speaker , and a sub-woofer in birds-eye maple cabinets purchased from HSU Research that was once part of the system in our living room. All the speakers are in a closet, also.

Time marches on.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Have you checked the vacuum tubes? :shock:

Seriously, if it is still covered by a parts and labor warranty, I'd get it fixed. You might also consider contacting Onkyo and let them know you are disappointed that the receiver has failed again with the same issue and request some accommodation, such as a replacement receiver or at least an extension of the existing warranty. It can't hurt to ask.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

I've generally had good experience with Onkyo. They are a quality brand above the mass-market stuff you would find at Circuit city back in the day.

I am not familiar with 7.1 systems. But 5.1 home theater receivers are dime a dozen at thrift stores. Nobody wants them . Consider buying a few of those if the problem happens again.