What Size Home For A Family?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
zeal

Re: What Size Home For A Family?

Post by zeal »

Totally an opinion. I grew up with a family of 5 in a 3BR/1BA, ~1250 sqft house (that's including the full-sized unfinished basement) on about 1 acre. I always loved it. I wasn't the one that had to share a bedroom though--so my siblings might disagree. Also they are both ladies, so taking turns in the bathroom was a bigger deal for them... my dad and I could always go in the woods out back.

The first house I bought was also a 3BR/1BA ~1250 sqft, but only on 0.25acres & a crawlspace instead of a basement. It was ok when I was single, and better when I got married, but I always felt cramped having neighbors so close (a funny feeling after living in dorms & apartments for the previous 6 years...).

Now my wife and I live in a 5BR/3BA, ~3000 sqft house on about 1 acre. I love this house too. So I guess for me the main thing I need is a little space between me and the neighbors, house size not as important.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

ballons wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:04 pm McMansions exist to show off wealth and are a blight on neighborhoods. Larger homes = higher roofing costs, more expensive cooling/heating bills, more cleaning, higher maintenance, etc.

Focus on floor plan. I would say 500sqft per person + 500sqft if you work from home.
I’m new to these modern terms.
“McMansion” = a certain size square foot or does it mean sprawling estate like Bruce Wayne (Batman)?

Is there a mini McMansion?

Is a large ranch estate a McMansion?

Or can 2 equal square feet homes but only one is a McMansion because of ostentatious design?

Can a home be perfect size for a family yet be a McMansion?
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Ged

Post by Ged »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:06 pm
ballons wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:04 pm McMansions exist to show off wealth and are a blight on neighborhoods. Larger homes = higher roofing costs, more expensive cooling/heating bills, more cleaning, higher maintenance, etc.

Focus on floor plan. I would say 500sqft per person + 500sqft if you work from home.
“McMansion” = a certain size square foot or does it mean sprawling estate like Bruce Wayne (Batman)?

Or can 2 equal square feet homes but only one is a McMansion because of ostentatious design?

j🌺
McMansions in my mind are excessively large homes with poor space utilization and large open center entries.

Examples:

jjface

Post by jjface »

1000sq feet in Europe. 2000 sq feet in USA.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

We have a toddler and another due soon. We recently moved into a 2br/1ba 1000sqft condo across the street from our daycare. It was cheap, good school district, and we paid cash for it. All our errands are done by foot. Shortened commutes substantially. Time is our most valuable asset.

Will stay here till kids are bigger or need their own room (boy,girl). Not sure when that will be, maybe 7???

I don't like to plan more than ~5 years in advance. In 6 years we will have hit our fire target and who knows if we'll still be wanting to spend most of our days in cubicles. I don't know what that early 40s person is going to value, but I know it will be different from what I value today.

It is also noteworthy that school districts can be redrawn and make one want to move from their "forever home"
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:06 pm

j🌺

I’ve always thought a McMansion was a middle class to upper middle class priced home that attempts to mimic features of houses built for the ultra wealthy. Many corners are usually cut in the process, leading to a tacky aesthetic.
milktoast

Post by milktoast »

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

milktoast wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:44 pm This is the definitive guide https://mcmansionhell.com/post/14860551 ... ansion-bad
Outstanding article.
Thanks for the link.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I would focus on usable space. We built our first house, a two story and I learned a lot. It had a lot of wasted space. It had a two-story entry, totally wasted space. It had a formal living room in addition to a family room. We never used the formal living room. The kitchen had a small eat in breakfast area. Too crowded. We had a dining room but didn’t want to eat there every day either. Large bedrooms upstairs but you mainly sleep there, not live there.

Our second house, also built for us, is a 2300sf single story / ranch style home. It has a huge kitchen with eat at counter space plus room for a full size dining table. We have just a large single “great room” style family room, a smallish formal dining room and relatively small bedrooms. Much more livable even though it isn’t any bigger than the old house.

So I would focus on:

- a bedroom for each child
- at least two full baths plus a half
- large eat in kitchen (all gatherings end up in the kitchen for some reason)
- oversized garage, two car minimum
- avoid wasted space or rooms where you think “I wonder what we will do with this?”
- first or second floor laundry is really nice
- you can never have enough closet or storage space
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

alfaspider wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:01 am When they are very young (baby-preschooler) one will wake the other up in the night, which means you have two kids to put back to sleep at 3AM if one wakes up.
My wife and I noted that kids are good at waking each other up, but not very good at getting each other to sleep.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
milktoast

Post by milktoast »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:06 pm Can a home be perfect size for a family yet be a McMansion?
j🌺

Also note that a non extreme McMansion can be a fabulous family home.

We now live in an architect designed modern home. Because we both have always had a passion for architecture and minimalist design.

But we spent 13 years happily raising our children in a McMansion because it met all of our needs. It wasn’t an extreme example and was built well enough to hold value. So other than being expensive to reroof and side, it was a good home. We would just laugh and say it is the 18th identical McMansion on the right - which is plenty to diffuse any snobbery from fellow art people (wife is pro photographer with published work in arch digest).

So I don’t want to imply anything about where you should live. We notice our new homes precision much more than we noticed the odd bumps and angles in prior home.

In the end, fill it with love and any home can be perfect size.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

If you work from home a separate fairly isolated office is really nice to have so add 400 sq ft or so for that. An office bathroom is nice too, especially if you have biz visitors. Source - I worked from home 80% of time for about 30 years.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

I'm a fan of less in more....except for garage space! Your won't miss what they never had.

True story: family had four kids in 2 bedrooms (2 kids per room). Around middle school they moved and everyone got their own room. They ended up back in the same room because they was there normal.

Family of 5 here. 4 bedroom, 2 full bathroom at 2,000 sqft. with another 1,300 sqft of garage...and planning a 500sqft detached to use as a shed.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

ddurrett896 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:53 am I'm a fan of less in more....except for garage space! Your won't miss what they never had.

True story: family had four kids in 2 bedrooms (2 kids per room). Around middle school they moved and everyone got their own room. They ended up back in the same room because they was there normal.

Family of 5 here. 4 bedroom, 2 full bathroom at 2,000 sqft. with another 1,300 sqft of garage...and planning a 500sqft detached to use as a shed.
So you are a fan of less and yet live in a large house, with a huge garage(average 2 car garage is <400 sq ft), and adding even more space? Seems like our actions aren't matching our preferences:) Honestly there is no good answer cause we are all different. If you work at home, having a 12x10 room to call your own instead of being in the corner of your bedroom is worth it but it also isn't a ton of sq ft either. If you like working on your car, do wood working, own a boat,... having a huge garage might be worth it. And so on. Nobody doubts that you can raise a family of 5 in 1200 sq ft 3/1 house. But there isn't any virtue in doing that. You have to figure out what your needs are and what matches them.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Some questions to consider:
Do you host a lot of out of town guests (where a guest room is nice) and/or do you have a lot of parties?

Also very important is location. Big neighborhood with amenities and lots of families / kids nearby....or land with more space and privacy? As my kids get older, I like the neighborhood idea more.

I think 2,500 sqft for a family of 4 sufficient. A large 2 car or even 3 car garage would be nice and a large open living / dining area is nice for hosting parties.
nepats

Post by nepats »

I wish we had a smaller house, but in our area, more land = larger house unless you are custom building. When we were looking for a new house, we could not find a smaller house that was modern on a larger lot :x I guess one of my life goals is to custom build a smaller, energy efficient house with a great layout.. :wink: .
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

milktoast wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:44 pm This is the definitive guide https://mcmansionhell.com/post/14860551 ... ansion-bad
I'll have to stop calling my house a McMansion. Bummer.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
nepats

Post by nepats »

ddurrett896 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:53 am I'm a fan of less in more....except for garage space!
So true! I can't go back to a smaller garage ever I think :wink:
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

SVT wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:41 pm
It appears to be pretty hard or nearly impossible to find a new or newish home for less than 2500 sqft anymore. I could see myself buying something up to 3000 sqft or so for maybe room to grow as the family grows in size and age but I can't see 4000 or more sqft. Something like 2500-3000 sqft is reasonable for a small family for the long term, right?
Our house is 2200+ sq ft, 1901 4 story flat roof stone row house. Was enough for three kids, though one had a pretty small bedroom. And it isn't too big now with empty nest (we now seldom travel to the 4th flr, just to make sure squirrels haven't taken over or something :happy ). 650 sq ft condo was drastically too small when the third one came along and forced the move. Those are our two real data points.

But like you say, in the peak roof suburban type house market, there aren't many nice new places in that size range. We went through a fairly long period of checking out houses in an area much more removed from NY (we're right on top of it in NJ) and newer places even as small as 3,000 tended to be in less desirable areas, or else old places and part of the concept was to live in a new place for a change. We gave up on that move for various reasons but one of them was few quality places that were not huge, not that any place we saw was comparable in build quality to our house: that basically doesn't exist among new or newish homes.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

nepats wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:46 pm
ddurrett896 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:53 am I'm a fan of less in more....except for garage space!
So true! I can't go back to a smaller garage ever I think :wink:
A three-car garage was wonderful; we could garage both cars and store stuff, too. The washer and dryer were out there so no laundry noise in the house.
Now I'm divorced and in a condo and amazed at how much I can put in my one-car garage, including my car and two bicycles to ride to the beach! (It helps that my son comes over every couple of years to help me clean out my garage.)
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

randomguy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:18 pm So you are a fan of less and yet live in a large house, with a huge garage(average 2 car garage is <400 sq ft), and adding even more space? Seems like our actions aren't matching our preferences:)
My house is pretty small for the area, built 50 years ago with smaller bedrooms. When I think of large I think of bedrooms in these new homes that are like 16x16 that you can't fill up with a standard set of bedroom furniture.

Garage size doesn't count lol. I hate clutter and put less in my garage that most cram in a small 2 car garage, just open and organized.
sesq

Post by sesq »

I like three car garages so that makes the houses larger. I tell my family we are moving when the youngest finishes high school because I hate the property taxes. I am in a 4400 SQ FT house and has a lot of useless spaces - formal dining room, living room, sitting room off the master, back stairs - probably combine to about 1,000 useless sq feet. But we have a three car garage that we park two cars in and have the third bay for kids stuff.

Ironically the kids bedrooms are small. It also has an office, so that has been good. And we have a guest room. We housed a couple for about a month or so who needed to be local due to a high risk pregnancy.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

ddurrett896 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:04 pm
randomguy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:18 pm So you are a fan of less and yet live in a large house, with a huge garage(average 2 car garage is <400 sq ft), and adding even more space? Seems like our actions aren't matching our preferences:)
My house is pretty small for the area, built 50 years ago with smaller bedrooms. When I think of large I think of bedrooms in these new homes that are like 16x16 that you can't fill up with a standard set of bedroom furniture.

Garage size doesn't count lol. I hate clutter and put less in my garage that most cram in a small 2 car garage, just open and organized.
At 16x16 you are getting big enough that you can put in a desk and the like for your kid to do home work. If that is what you want is a different story. Some of the master bedrooms get crazy where you have enough room for a sitting area and fireplace. it really depends on your usage pattern if that space is useful.

And yes not counting stuff is a tradition a tradition among minimalists:) A 1300 sq ft garage is crazy (i.e. we are talking like RV parking and a normal 3 car garage) but if it fits your life style, great. I know I would love one if the space was usable. In a lot of ways, my personal idea is something like 1500 sq ft of normal house and then a 800 sq ft nice open basement. Space for things like ping pong tables, kids play tables, and so on just has more value than making those bedrooms 50 sq ft bigger. Other people feel differently. And I am fine putting my guests on an aerobed instead of having some guest room sit empty. Obviously that is all personal perference.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

I wish we had a third garage spot. We have a home gym, workshop and 1 to 2 cars in a normal 2 car garage. The power rack folds back and the barbells and bumper plates are stored on the wall. For the shop, the workbench folds down and the miter station collapses. We have overhead storage on one side.

We are a family of 3; hopefully 4 in the future. Have 4 br 3 ba in 2800 sqft. Both parents work from home and we have a nanny come in part time. Glad to have space for everyone.
CMD1

Post by CMD1 »

Great topic. We are a family of 4 with a 6 and 8 year old and for a variety of reasons including what we could afford have lived in smaller places - currently 840ft 2 bed + unfinished basement. It's worked but we're ready for something bigger, especially the kitchen and an additional bedroom (1 boy, 1 girl). We live in Seattle which obviously is very expensive and have picked location over house size - close to jobs downtown, minutes to beaches, and walkable. Ideally now would like 1,500-2,500 ft but we still value location a lot and will sacrifice some house for that. All the comments are very valuable.
international001

Post by international001 »

jjface wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:30 pm 1000sq feet in Europe. 2000 sq feet in USA.
That sound about right. Proportional to the average American and European body volume.
bironology

Post by bironology »

I grew up in a tiny house, <900sqft, then lived in a tiny apartment for a few years, then a decent sized 2,000 sqft house where my wife and I started our family. Here was my experience in that 2,000 sqft house:

We loved it, for a while. As a contract software engineer I worked from a home office quite a lot. Fantastic when the kiddies were little because DW and I could share duties and have a flexible work schedule. Actually though when kiddie #2 came in, I lost my home office since we had only 3 bedrooms (fail #1), so we turned the dining room into a "study" (fail #2), but since the home design was the early 2000s trendy "open floor plan", the dining room, kitchen, and living room were all one big space. So if guests came over while I tried to work it was not good. As kiddies grew up and had friends over, it wasn't good. I found myself, in my once-awesome 2,000 sqft home, sitting on my bed with my laptop working. As the kids entered their teen years, we looked for opportunities to increase living space, like an addition (but town ordinance didn't give us any more margin with the property line - fail #3), so we were down to finishing the basement, which I did start doing myself, and lopping off the garage roof and putting a bonus room over the garage - however, since the house wasn't designed with this option in mind, entrance to this room would have either eaten up garage floor space with a staircase or punched an access door through my daughter's bedroom (fail #4).

In the end we decided to look for a larger house. Current home is 4,600 sqft (counting finished basement and room over garage), and we absolutely love it. 6 adult-sized humans live here of ages 17->75. (oh yeah, think about whether one of your parents will ever need a place to live to be watched over - you'll appreciate an extra bedroom then!).

Here are lessons learned from my experience in the last 20 years and 2 family abodes:

* as others mentioned, look for space efficient utilization. *usable* square footage. Open floor plans mean everyone hears every pindrop that others are doing on that floor. Walls can be good things. Open foyers mean you lose at least one usable room. That could have been a bedroom or a study or an activity room (like to do crafting? want a "chill out" room for the adults to relax and listen to records or something? You'd love to have that extra room you "aren't sure what to do with").

* walk out basements are fantastic. When you finish them, the walkout has copious natural light and it doesn't feel like you are in a basement.

* bonus room over garage is pure bliss. it's where my home office is now, along with my amateur music studio, vintage audio equipment and record collection. I don't know where that'd be in a smaller house.

* garages are great for storage as well as cars. Even a standard sized 2-car garage gives you wall space for cabinets or shelves to store auto care items, cleaning supplies and chemicals, sporting goods, etc. Oh and also a workbench!

* build a shed, so all outdoor stuff can be out of the garage or basement.

* a full sized attic can be incredible storage space and frees up your basement for living space. (or make the attic living space, but its hot up there!)

* if you are in a region with basements, plan on finishing it - you'll want that space as a second living room and maybe have an activity room or another bedroom. See above for ideas on alternate storage space if you are utilizing the basement for living space

My experience with my first home were first-world problems, I realize. We had the financial opportunity to upsize, so when we saw ourselves being suboptimal in the first house and had the means to have more space, we went for it. I'm very glad we did. Even at the time of that decision, I didn't know my MIL would be moving in with us, I didn't know we'd all be locked down in a pandemic, so certainly didn't think 6 adult-sized humans would be stuck all in the house together MOST hours of the day. I'm so glad we upsized.

Someday it will just be DW and I again. Will we downsize? I doubt it. We both have lots of hobbies, are active and like to work hard, and love to maintain our property ourselves. We literally give each other high-fives when mowing the lawn or organizing the garage, grateful for what we have. We would only downsize when one or both of us becomes physically unable to maintain the property even after using landscapers and home cleaners and such. Until then, I love my space.

It may be about the phase of your life. Starting a family, you won't be thinking about the needs of your middle-aged self, when kids are big, have friends that will want to come over, and you have parents that may need to move in with you. At the same time, you won't have the means to buy a 4,000+ sqft house, probably (I didn't at the time), but if you think about 10,15 years in the future, you can choose your next house understanding it may not be your forever-house, and that awareness can help decision making.

My $0.02, not for everyone, but some thoughts to consider.
bironology

Post by bironology »

randomguy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:28 pm
And yes not counting stuff is a tradition a tradition among minimalists:) A 1300 sq ft garage is crazy (i.e. we are talking like RV parking and a normal 3 car garage) but if it fits your life style, great. I know I would love one if the space was usable.
A garage to me is more than space for cars. I absolutely believe in no-clutter and you should be able to park your vehicles - at least 1 - in there, but it's great to have a place for a workbench and power tools to do handyman utility carpentry, or to work with high-VOC glues and stains, and general stuff you won't want to do inside the living space. Also think about snow-throwers, lawnmowers, bicycles. Or you could put that stuff in a shed if you have one. But the snow thrower will want to sit in the garage from Nov->April.
ballons

Post by ballons »

alfaspider wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:18 pm
I’ve always thought a McMansion was a middle class to upper middle class priced home that attempts to mimic features of houses built for the ultra wealthy. Many corners are usually cut in the process, leading to a tacky aesthetic.
Oversized, gaudy monstrosities with near zero thought for anything built for a cheap as possible. They started out at 3000 then skyrocketed to 6000sqft.

https://www.realtrends.com/blog/mcmansions-are-back
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

SVT wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:41 pm In your opinion or experience, what is a recommended size, or range of sizes, for a home for a young family with 1 or 2 young children (say newborn to toddler aged) who would like to ideally stay in the home for at least 15-20 years? Or what size house is too small and what size is probably too large for a family like this in this situation?
We've been living in a 1,200 sq. ft. 3/2 home for five and a half years, nearly all of that with a child. It's been plenty big enough for us. And we paid it off in February.

Most of our friends are apparently of the view that anything less than 1,000 sq. ft. per person is too small. We personally find that to be utterly ridiculous.

The median newly built home in the U.S. 50 years ago had about 500 sq. ft. per person for the median U.S. household size at that time. Since then, new homes have gotten larger while median U.S. household size has shrunk. And people then complain that they cannot afford to save anything. :oops:
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:59 pm
SVT wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:41 pm In your opinion or experience, what is a recommended size, or range of sizes, for a home for a young family with 1 or 2 young children (say newborn to toddler aged) who would like to ideally stay in the home for at least 15-20 years? Or what size house is too small and what size is probably too large for a family like this in this situation?
We've been living in a 1,200 sq. ft. 3/2 home for five and a half years, nearly all of that with a child. It's been plenty big enough for us. And we paid it off in February.

Most of our friends are apparently of the view that anything less than 1,000 sq. ft. per person is too small. We personally find that to be utterly ridiculous.

The median newly built home in the U.S. 50 years ago had about 500 sq. ft. per person for the median U.S. household size at that time. Since then, new homes have gotten larger while median U.S. household size has shrunk. And people then complain that they cannot afford to save anything. :oops:
Couldn’t agree more. Less is more. Less to maintain, less stuff in the house, more intimacy as a family, less utilities costs, etc... congrats on paying off your house! :beer
VTSAX and chill
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

To rent an 1800 sqft place in my area costs only $100-$300 per month less than renting a 2900 sqft home, so we rent a huge house because it’s in the nice neighborhood we wanted, but we don’t need half that space as a family. If we ever buy a home someday in a different area it will be between 1200 and 1800 ft
Last edited by geerhardusvos on Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTSAX and chill
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

mathwhiz wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:24 am
The seperate toilet rooms in a master bath are for privacy in case one partner has to do their business while the other partner is brushing their teeth or getting dressed. It helps a lot with odor reduction too. It's a very nice feature!
The separate toilet "room" is a horrible feature - as pleasant as using the toilet in a commercial aircraft.
1andDone

Post by 1andDone »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:13 pm
The seperate toilet rooms in a master bath are for privacy in case one partner has to do their business while the other partner is brushing their teeth or getting dressed. It helps a lot with odor reduction too. It's a very nice f
The separate toilet "room" is a horrible feature - as pleasant as using the toilet in a commercial aircraft.
Speak for yourself! I would not buy a house that didn’t have a WC in the master unless it had separate his and hers bathrooms.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

1andDone wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:45 pm
tibbitts wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:13 pm
The seperate toilet rooms in a master bath are for privacy in case one partner has to do their business while the other partner is brushing their teeth or getting dressed. It helps a lot with odor reduction too. It's a very nice f
Speak for yourself! I would not buy a house that didn’t have a WC in the master unless it had separate his and hers bathrooms.
That would be more comprehensible to me than the WC!
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

We have 2000 for family of 4. Includes a guest room that we almost never use. I think 1500-1800 would be ideal.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (home size).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
seppatown

Post by seppatown »

One factor not yet mentioned is how much home size and configuration can affect lifestyle. I’ve personally noticed the following:

Bigger homes

-More frequent hosting of social events
-A greater desire to stay at home when free time permits
-Facilitates solo hobbywork
-Compels home projects/renovation

Smaller homes

-More frequent outings, especially when certain creature comforts (gardening, etc) aren’t well met at home
-Cozier spaces and better social learning for kids (who didn’t like sharing a room with their sibling?)
-Better discipline with space management and clutter
-Psychology of self-sufficiency and stockpiling are lessened