I think I need a new computer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
schmitz

I think I need a new computer

Post by schmitz »

My current one is just getting too slow. The lag is unbearable. Sometimes I click on something and wait 10-15 seconds for the computer to catch up.

I do want another PC laptop (and I dont think I want a chromebook as I read they arent as powerful)
However, I may consider a desktop if its a far better choice for me. But if possible, I really want to stick to laptops.

What I currently have
A lenovo laptop
Intel Core i7-4510U CPU @2.00 GHz 2.60 GHz (no idea what most of this means)
8 GB RAM
bought in 2014
system type 64 bit operating system x64 based processor (just copying this from my computer specs)

What I need a computer for
internet browsing, email, etc - "normal" stuff
I use programs like zoom, open office, firefox (often have a lot of tabs open at the same time if that matters)
nothing too crazy - no gaming, no digital work/video editing/graphic design
(also I really like having a ten key pad on the keyboard)

Budget
not exactly sure, doing some quick browsing it looks like laptops go from anywhere from $200 to over $1000
I am willing to spend, dont want a cheap model because I want a quality laptop that will last me a few years at least (this current one is pushing 6 years) but I dont wan to overspend on things I dont need. I really want the computer to be fast. I think that comes from RAM?

so maybe $600-800 would do the trick? would that get me a good laptop?

Brand
no preference really
are there any brands better than others?
any brands to avoid?

last question: where should I buy one? in person? or online?
is it worth buying a computer at costco?

thanks for any suggestions/help!
Blueskies123

Re: I think I need a new computer

Post by Blueskies123 »

Read the reviews on PC magazine and PC world.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
tre3sori

Post by tre3sori »

if the laptop has an old hdd (hard disk drive), the only thing you may need is an ssd (solid state disk) and a relative who knows how to handle mirroring and exchanging drives
Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep by him in reserve. Talmud | 34% Real Estate, 43% VGWL, 16% VAGE, 5% 8PSG, 2% Cash
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

schmitz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:31 pm My current one is just getting too slow. The lag is unbearable. Sometimes I click on something and wait 10-15 seconds for the computer to catch up.
As your computer is "getting too slow", that suggests there are programs running in the background that could be slowing things down. You could use CCleaner (free) to clean up your hard drive and your registry. For a little more power, you can purchase System Mechanic.

I assume you have sufficient malware protection programs.

Depending upon your techie skills, you may want to simply replace your existing hard drive with a SSD (Solid State Drive). That provides a fairly significant speed boost by itself. Transferring files and operating system to the new SSD is straightforward with the software coming with the SSD.

Alternatively, I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 at Costco that can do everything you indicated you use it for.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Does your laptop have an SSD? If not, I bet upgrading to an SSD + increasing your memory to 16 GB would resolve all your issues. You'd have to check whether your machine supports 16 GB of memory.

Is yours a G50? Here's the hardware maintenance manual: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mo ... es_hmm.pdf
liberty53

Post by liberty53 »

Those specs should be fine and you should not be suffering that kind of lag.

You may have a problem with your hard drive.

You can swap out the hard drive and replace it with a Solid State Drive (SSD), and assuming your current drive is mechanical doing this will improve two things:

1. It will fix the potential hard drive issue
2. It will give you a much better experience due to the speed of the SSD.

The problem is that you probably need somebody to diagnose the issue with your current laptop, and it may just be easier for you to purchase something newer.

If you purchase something newer though, you will still have to go through the pain of moving files and applications from the old computer to the new computer.

I recommend performing a good full backup sooner rather than later if you haven't done so recently.

Good Luck!
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I have purchased 3 laptops from this eBay reseller. They are like new demo units.

Great specs and price is pretty good if you start to compare RAM, SSD, processor, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Elite-x2-10 ... SwS8he0VvX

You can go to the Viaelectron store and see all the HP units he has for sale.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I agree with other posters that an upgrade to SSD may be all that is needed. In fact I just did this with a laptop that was much much older. Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD running windows 10 (upgraded from original windows 8). Everything was slow, glacially slow. I cloned the hard drive to an SSD and installed the SSD into the laptop and couldn't believe the difference in speed. No lag at all. The terribly slow PC became a pleasure to use after the SSD upgrade.

SSD is pretty affordable these days. I got a 500GB model for around $50, added an USB to SATA adapter cable ($17) to allow me to connect the SSD to the computer's USB port. Once the SSD was connected to the computer, I ran Macrium Reflect Free software to clone the hard drive to the SSD. Once the drive was cloned, I powered down the laptop, opened it up, removed the hard drive and then installed the SSD.

There are lots of videos on this, maybe even some for your model of laptop.
Wiki
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I am with the others. Clean it up, stick a SSD in there and you are set.

I am typing this from a 10+ year old Dell with i3 and there is zero lag. I keep it lean and don't have tons of crap running in the background.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

I only buy apple laptops. I don't have time for malware, spyware, bloatware, adware, and similar. I don't want to buy extra software to kill viruses from that guy on the run in Belize. Apple laptops are quality and affordable. We live in the information age, invest accordingly.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Buy an apple laptop even a basic model will work well for you. You will not have to worry any more about the recurrent hassle and overhead of keeping a windows machine running efficiently.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Your current laptop has all the power you need for what you need to do. As others have said, two possible explanations for the slowdown:
1. your system is running bloated software or applications in the background, slowing everything down
2. your (mechanical) hard drive is getting old, or fragmented, and is just slower.
Some combinations of those two is also a possibility.

Forget about cleaner tools, etc, the best way to fix (1) is just re-install with fresh OS. The best way to fix (2) is replace with SSD. If you replace with SSD, you will need to reinstall the OS anyway so you'll be getting the best fix. I'd do that.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

armeliusc wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:53 pm Your current laptop has all the power you need for what you need to do. As others have said, two possible explanations for the slowdown:
1. your system is running bloated software or applications in the background, slowing everything down
2. your (mechanical) hard drive is getting old, or fragmented, and is just slower.

Forget about cleaner tools, etc, the best way to fix (1) is just re-install with fresh OS. The best way to fix (2) is replace with SSD. If you replace with SSD, you will need to reinstall the OS anyway so you'll be getting the best fix. I'd do that.
+1 on the SSD and clean install of Windows. You won't believe the difference. Does require some technical skills though.
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

If you have Windows 10, have you tried the factory reset option?
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

armeliusc wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:53 pm Your current laptop has all the power you need for what you need to do. As others have said, two possible explanations for the slowdown:

+1

It will be one or both of these that are your problem(s). When you re-install the OS on a solid state drive (SSD) you would eliminate both of these as culprits. I would not spring for a RAM upgrade at this point.

Can you believe I am still running a laptop from 2009 running Windows 10? All I did was upgrade to an SSD. It's still not the fastest beast but I really don't have to wait for things.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I agree; 2014 vintage should be fine. When we used laptops for TaxAide I would reinstall the OS on each of them once per year just to clean things up. Usually much faster than trying to figure out what the underlying problem is.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I have a PC a year older than yours, with a HDD, and I do not suffer lag time.

You might try CCleaner before you do anything that costs $$, unless you just really want a new PC.

I use CCleaner (free), Avast (free), and Malwarebytes Premium (lifetime license), and everything works just fine.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
telemark

Post by telemark »

Or it might be as simple as a full disk. Check the free space, and if it's less than 10% (or better, 30 or 40%), start removing old files.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

telemark wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:15 pm Or it might be as simple as a full disk.
Yeah, check this for sure as a first step.

An SSD is worth thinking about (although if it will be your entire memory you may still have a problem. An expensive SSD has less total capacity than a cheap hard drive).

When you do remove files...make sure they are not system files.
Gronnie

Post by Gronnie »

Clean install of Windows (on an SSD if you don't currently have one) will solve all your problems for like 50 bucks. You have way more than enough power for your use cases.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Buy yourself a new laptop. You can get a good computer for $500-$600.

Your laptop is worth ~$100. You would spend $100-$150 to upgrade the ram and hard drive. More if you have to pay someone to do the installation. If you had a $5000 car that needed a $5000 repair, most would consider the car “totaled”. I think the logic is the same here.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Most OEM's have a reset partition that restores the system to as-built. Costs nothing to try. Equivalent to a clean install of W-10 except it brings along the OEM bloatware.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:34 pm Buy yourself a new laptop. You can get a good computer for $500-$600.

Your laptop is worth ~$100. You would spend $100-$150 to upgrade the ram and hard drive. More if you have to pay someone to do the installation. If you had a $5000 car that needed a $5000 repair, most would consider the car “totaled”. I think the logic is the same here.
Disagree. The worth of the laptop is irrelevant. What's relevant is how much to spend to get it to work as expected. Sub-$200 cost for SSD accomplishes that.

If you want a new laptop, then go get a new laptop. But I don't think that's the question here. Plus, a "good laptop" that'd last a while would probably more in the $1000 range.

The same thing logical fallacy occur here for most people with car repair. What's relevant is how much do I need to spend to get a car in working order that serve my needs. The value of the car is irrelevant. Sure, an insurance company would take that approach of a $5000 repair for $5000 car == totaled, but that shouldn't be the approach of an owner. Especially for wear-and-tear repair that you'd expect anyway. And yes, I just spent ~$1000 maintenance (timing belt, new brakes, new water pump, new tires ...) for my car that according to KBB has the value of $200. It would be illogical to just considered a car that I know perfectly the history of "totaled" and buy a random $1000 or even $5000 car, while I know replacing those will let me use the car at least few more years.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

I think it’s also perfectly OK to purchase a new laptop every 6 years.

Either way, make sure you get an SSD and 16GB RAM, and run Windows 10.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

How to see the effect of programs which are running. You may have many things, like chrome extensions that
fire up in the background. These programs can take CPU, but more importantly memory and network bandwidth.

You can stop or disable these so that you have more resources for the tasks you want.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/disabl ... indows-10/

A new laptop may fix this, but if you don;t control how many programs are running, the problem will recur.

Other hardware issues:
Disk : Yes, SSD versus old HDD (probably 5400 RPM) will improve things. There also may be I/O errors and
silent retries when the disk is getting old.
Disk check: https://pchelp.ricmedia.com/perform-dis ... indows-10/

CPU: heating problems from a bad case fan or heat sink paste going bad causing the CPU to clock down to save itself.
Check CPU speed Performance tab in TaskMananger.
I use SpeedFan for checking fan speed and cpu temp on my windows 10 desktop.

Memory: Your memory could be going bad and causing errors which get retried. To test your DRAM:
https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how-to ... -problems/
Watty

Post by Watty »

Lots of good suggestions especially about the SSD, you may be able to find a video on Youtube that will show you how to replace a disk drive on your laptop. It varies greatly depending your model but if you get lucky swapping the hardware may not be all that much more difficult than changing batteries on a kids toy where it is secured with screws. Migrating the data is another step but not that hard .

Here are a few more points to consider;

1) Make sure you have a good backup ASAP. If your computer is getting flaky that could be a sign that it is going to die soon or you have a virus. Also run a virus scan.

2) Check your internet speed by typing "speedtest" into Google. Mine has been occasionally been painfully slow with so many people working at home and video conferencing while kids are streaming videos. Also reboot your router(that is the thing that connects to the internet) you can just unplug it for 10 seconds then plug it back in. I have had mine get slow when it has not been rebooted for a many months. It would not hurt to update the firmware, you can google how to do that.

3) Even if you can afford it now it not a great time to buy a new computer. The problem is that they are in short supply because so many people have bought computers to work from home and the supply chain has been disrupted with the pandemic. The specs on yours are fine so there is something else going on.

4) Check how much free disk space you have and try to free up some if it is more than 80% full. When your disk gets too full it can impact the performance.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

Back up your data, make sure you have some free HD space, reinstall the OS (and remove bloatware), and then put your files back. Considering buying some more RAM if there are expansion slots. Otherwise your computer is fine. One of my desktops is getting close to its tenth birthday and it's still fine.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz »

oh wow...lots of stuff here to digest! Thanks to everyone who replied! I will try to address as many of the comments as I can:

im a computer noob (I can use a computer pretty well but a lot of the other lingo is over my head). but im glad to hear that maybe I dont actually need a brand new computer.

sounds like the first place to start is an SSD. Im not familiar so I did a quick google search, opened the run box, typed dfrgui and it said my media type is a hard disk drive for both my C: and D: drives.

guess that means I dont have an SSD. so ill start by ordering one of those. any recommendations on where to buy them? or which one? does it come with everything I need to do data transfer?

ill also run CCleaner now.

I have avast anti virus and malwarebytes already installed.
I have windows 10
I am have 345 GB free out of 424 GB on C: and 21.8 GB free out of 24.9 GB on D:

to backup my computer, what Ive been doing is transferring all my important files to one of those little flash drives you hook up via usb port. I do this every once and awhile. Id like to download one of those automatic off site backup programs. I used to have mozy but they went away.

as far as re-installing the OS, if I backup my HD then I should be safe to try it? I have never tried re-installing the OS before.

how do I know whats running in the background that may slow me down? (rather than important programs that I shouldnt touch?)

thanks again for all the help. its a ton of great info but it takes me awhile to process it all (no pun intended); not familiar with most of the technical terms. Doesnt help that my computer is super slow for any of this obviously! :oops:
im still reading through it all and going to try some of the tips and read the links posted.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Whether or not to start with an SSD, IMO, depends on how easy and cheap it is for your laptop model and how much performance is important when you are done.

If you really could get an SSD for $50 and replacing it was like swapping batteries in a kids toy, then, yes, do it. Otherwise, I would first try a factory reset or fresh install of the OS first with your current hard drive. You may be quite happy with it after that.
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

You do not need a new computer. As others have said, a 50 dollar SSD and clean reinstall is all you need.
Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz »

Any recommendations for a good SSD?

Is there a reputable YouTube video teaching how to reinstall the OS? Do I need to buy anything to do this?
Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz »

Been doing some googling and i opened up my task manager and it looks like Firefox is using up a ton of my memory and pretty much all of my disk. I did have many tabs open so I’m closing them up and hoping this helps a little.

Can someone explain what memory usage is vs disk usage?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

schmitz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:31 pm Been doing some googling and i opened up my task manager and it looks like Firefox is using up a ton of my memory and pretty much all of my disk. I did have many tabs open so I’m closing them up and hoping this helps a little.

Think of your hard drive or SSD like the cabinet. It's where you store your stuff long-term. Memory (or RAM) is like the space on your desk. It's what you've got open. There's much less memory/desk space than cabinet space, and when you run out of it you have to put it in the cabinet (technically: swap file, which resides on your hard drive). Moving stuff in and out of cabinets takes time. So the more memory/desk space you have the faster your system will run, particularly if you have a lot of programs/tabs open.
Last edited by 02nz on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

schmitz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:13 pm Any recommendations for a good SSD?

Is there a reputable YouTube video teaching how to reinstall the OS? Do I need to buy anything to do this?
Lots of videos, you need to find one that matches your computer model, or look up the service manual (aka maintenance manual) for your computer on the manufacturer's support site. Generally for older computers it's actually easier, remove a few screws and you're in. Sometimes there's a panel for just the hard drive bay. Most likely what you need is a 2.5-inch SATA SSD. There's not much difference between them - Crucial, Samsung, Western Digital are all good.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

schmitz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:31 pm Been doing some googling and i opened up my task manager and it looks like Firefox is using up a ton of my memory and pretty much all of my disk. I did have many tabs open so I’m closing them up and hoping this helps a little.

Firefox is a hog. Java as well

I suggest using Chrome instead.

Microsoft's Edge might be similar but I have not used it.
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

schmitz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:29 pm as far as re-installing the OS, if I backup my HD then I should be safe to try it? I have never tried re-installing the OS before.
Reinstalling Windows used to be harder. It's super easy on Windows 10. See https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc. I don't know how to reinstall Windows on another hard drive though.
Last edited by snailderby on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
student

Post by student »

I recommend https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0862 ... UTF8&psc=1 It has 3 times as much CPU power based on geekbench numbers.
Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz »

Thanks again

Decided to work on my wife’s computer as well to see if I can speed it up

I saw she has Avira and avast anti virus. Don’t need both so I’m trying to uninstall avira

However it says it can’t because

“Avira cannot be uninstalled, because it is required by the following applications:
-system speed up”

What’s going on here?
denovo

Post by denovo »

schmitz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:31 pm My current one is just getting too slow. The lag is unbearable. Sometimes I click on something and wait 10-15 seconds for the computer to catch up.

I do want another PC laptop (and I dont think I want a chromebook as I read they arent as powerful)
However, I may consider a desktop if its a far better choice for me. But if possible, I really want to stick to laptops.

What I currently have
A lenovo laptop
Intel Core i7-4510U CPU @2.00 GHz 2.60 GHz (no idea what most of this means)
8 GB RAM
bought in 2014
system type 64 bit operating system x64 based processor (just copying this from my computer specs)

What I need a computer for
internet browsing, email, etc - "normal" stuff
I use programs like zoom, open office, firefox (often have a lot of tabs open at the same time if that matters)
nothing too crazy - no gaming, no digital work/video editing/graphic design
(also I really like having a ten key pad on the keyboard)

Budget
not exactly sure, doing some quick browsing it looks like laptops go from anywhere from $200 to over $1000
I am willing to spend, dont want a cheap model because I want a quality laptop that will last me a few years at least (this current one is pushing 6 years) but I dont wan to overspend on things I dont need. I really want the computer to be fast. I think that comes from RAM?

so maybe $600-800 would do the trick? would that get me a good laptop?

Brand
no preference really
are there any brands better than others?
any brands to avoid?

last question: where should I buy one? in person? or online?
is it worth buying a computer at costco?

thanks for any suggestions/help!

Are you sure it's not your Internet? Those specs seem reasonable. Depending on how your household, maybe there are more people at home using the internet these days......
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz »

schmitz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:54 pm Thanks again

Decided to work on my wife’s computer as well to see if I can speed it up

I saw she has Avira and avast anti virus. Don’t need both so I’m trying to uninstall avira

However it says it can’t because

“Avira cannot be uninstalled, because it is required by the following applications:
-system speed up”

What’s going on here?
Ignore this. Didn’t realize there were two Avira apps

I uninstalled the speed up one and then Avira.
Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz »

Her computer has most of her usage being used by:

Intel proset wireless zero configure service
Intel proset wireless event log service
Local security authority process

Are these necessary programs?
Watty

Post by Watty »

One option would be to call up the Best Buy Geek squad and ask how much they would charge to install a SSD and copy over your old system. I don't have a clue how much that would cost but it might be worth it so you did not have figure out how to do that. They likely do that all the time so they it should be easy for them.

Before you do that though I would suggest you do the following;

1) Copy your important file to your USB flash drive like you normally do.
2) Back up your computer. You always want to have a good backup before you give it to someone to work on just in case they have a problem. You should backup you computer periodically anyway.

There are LOTS of ways to do this but here is what I do.

a) Get an inexpensive external drive like this one for less than $50.
https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Unidad-e ... =pc&sr=1-1

b) Download the free version of Macrium Reflect and back up your laptop to your new external hard drive.
Watty

Post by Watty »

schmitz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:00 pm Her computer has most of her usage being used by:

Intel proset wireless zero configure service
Intel proset wireless event log service
Local security authority process

Are these necessary programs?
I am not familiar with those but you should really have a good backup before you start doing things like removing or ending programs you think you might not need.

If you see some process be careful about Googling the name and checking some random web site to see what they say about it. The problem is that some virus web sites are set up like that to try to get you to go to the web site.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

schmitz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:29 pm
I'd give strong odds that avast is your problem. Many antivirus programs keep accumulating all the updates for new hacks to check against over the years into a massive unwieldy glob that is very slow to process. If you want to keep using avast, do an uninstall and then fresh install so that it starts with a clean slate. Better (in my opinion) is just to use the Microsoft Windows Defender instead, which is better designed and doesn't tend to suffer from this issue.
Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz »

curmudgeon wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:17 pm
I'd give strong odds that avast is your problem. Many antivirus programs keep accumulating all the updates for new hacks to check against over the years into a massive unwieldy glob that is very slow to process. If you want to keep using avast, do an uninstall and then fresh install so that it starts with a clean slate. Better (in my opinion) is just to use the Microsoft Windows Defender instead, which is better designed and doesn't tend to suffer from this issue.
under task manager it lists 8 avast processes running, however it looks like most of them barely use much CPU or memory.
however i am going to uninstall/reinstall avast anyways.

separate question: I am going to try using chrome instead of firefox (someone mentioned earlier its better and uses less of my computer). However I have opened up one chrome window and only two tabs and task manager says already 14 chromes are opened and its labeled "very high" power usage trend.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

schmitz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:31 pm
curmudgeon wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:17 pm
under task manager it lists 8 avast processes running, however it looks like most of them barely use much CPU or memory.
however i am going to uninstall/reinstall avast anyways.

separate question: I am going to try using chrome instead of firefox (someone mentioned earlier its better and uses less of my computer). However I have opened up one chrome window and only two tabs and task manager says already 14 chromes are opened and its labeled "very high" power usage trend.
Chrome splits off "threads" to run separate functions in parallel. In particular, when it is loading a website with a bunch of embedded images (or ads), it will fetch four or more of the pieces in parallel to make the page load faster. Some sites will be in a form of continuous update/loading mode, but for the most part Chrome activity should subside after a minute or two.
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

So it appears you may have a software conflict problem. While troublesome to dig out, it could be a low cost solution. Try this first before any SSD purchase.

Agree with your thoughts on uninstall and then reinstall Avast. Sometimes programs just get corrupted or conflicts with other systems.
schmitz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:29 pm guess that means I dont have an SSD. so ill start by ordering one of those. any recommendations on where to buy them? or which one? does it come with everything I need to do data transfer?
Apologies. When I read your initial email, I didn't pick up on that your computer was a laptop. So, while a SSD is still a solid option, you need to make sure that the "form factor" will fit inside your laptop, and can be secured properly. While this can be done as a hobbyist, I would recommend having it done at a computer store instead. Plus, if you do that, they can transfer your operating system and all files as well. The bad news is that a Lenova laptop specific SSD may be quite a bit more $$ than one you can plop inside a desktop PC.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

schmitz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:31 pm I do want another PC laptop (and I dont think I want a chromebook as I read they arent as powerful)
Chromebooks aren't as powerful because they don't need to be. When I owned PCs I focused on the hardware specs. Since using Chromebooks about ten years ago I've found that to be unnecessary. I don't even know what processor, video board or anything else that my Chromebook has. I just buy something mid-range that gets good reviews and have never had any kind of issue. I do have a leftover PC in my office to run TurboTax on but otherwise do everything on my laptop. It's a new and better world (when it comes to computers)!
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
student

Post by student »

One way to get a fresh start with Lenovo is that many have a one-button recovery, that is, many have a separate partition with the necessary information to restore your computer to its original state. https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht104038 It does work as advertised.
So backup your documents and do the reinstall. I think your computer is about 6 years old given that it is a 4th generation chip and the newest one is 10th generation. Take a look at the computer that I recommend in an earlier message.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

finite_difference wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:10 pm I think it’s also perfectly OK to purchase a new laptop every 6 years.

Either way, make sure you get an SSD and 16GB RAM, and run Windows 10.
+1. This is a good suggestion for you. You acknowledged limited technical knowledge in your OP. Posters have made a number of good suggestions to deal with your computer but some may be more difficult for your skill level and may add cost to an old PC.