Wood blind alternatives to Hunter Douglas?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
miamivice

Wood blind alternatives to Hunter Douglas?

Post by miamivice »

We live in a nice house in a nice suburn. House was built around 2005, so it is a modern stick built house. The previous owner purchased quality Hunter Douglas for all windows except for 7 small windows. We would like to get blinds to install in the 7 small windows for privacy. I checked Hunter Douglas online and the blinds are about $200 a piece or $1400 for 7 blinds. Two questions:

1. Is this price about right? The windows are about 12x12 and this price seems horribly high. We have not had an in-home consultant come to our house and give us a price estimate, but I hesitate about wasting their time. We will not be paying $1400 for 7 tiny blinds.

2. What alternate brands might we look consider in lieu of Hunter Douglas wooden blinds? We would like quality construction and not give the appearance that we were cheap on some blinds and went all out on other blinds.
delamer

Re: Wood blind alternatives to Hunter Douglas?

Post by delamer »

So there is nothing on the windows now?

We are having a type of solar film installed on 3 small windows (in our master bath) that will allow light through but greatly reduce the ability for anyone to see in.

Is that an option for you?
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Quality window coverings are pricey. Check out Smith & Noble. Their wood blinds are very nice but I don’t know if they are any less expensive. You can get a price online. S&N frequently runs sales.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Hunter Douglas blinds are certainly not the cheapest but are good quality IMO. The one I have is a nice woven, wood blind and was ~$500 for one window. They have longer warranties vs. other blinds I think.

I think some BH's have used Costco blind services with good success. I didn't have a good experience with the salesperson who came out for Bali blinds so took a pass and am still shopping around.
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

I went with budget blinds because they are who my mom used on her house. After about a year, they are holding up fine, but there were many initial quality issues - some not resolved - and communication was stupidly difficult.

I wish I had known about the Costco installers, I would have likely given them a shot.

https://i.ibb.co/1JMrq2y/0101-EA9-B-7-A ... 586-AA.jpg
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

miamivice wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:18 pm What alternate brands might we look consider in lieu of Hunter Douglas wooden blinds? We would like quality construction and not give the appearance that we were cheap on some blinds and went all out on other blinds.
HomeStretch wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:56 pm Check out Smith & Noble. S&N frequently runs sales.
+1 for Smith & Noble for quality customizable window coverings, excellent customer service, and frequent sales promotions. S&Ns have held up very well for the 22 years since they've been installed in my home while other cheapo similar-looking choices have disintegrated.
miamivice wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:18 pm We would like to get blinds to install in the 7 small windows for privacy.
I have films on small windows. They provide privacy as well as some thermal efficiency.
bryansmile

Post by bryansmile »

I don't understand why people are willing to spend thousands on their window coverings.
It's easy to measure the window sizes, order online and install yourself. I've replaced my 30+ window coverings with 2" wood blinds from JCP and found them to be a good value.
Edit: I see jcp is not a good option right now with their limited product selections. Try select blinds and order a set first to see if you like it.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Is the $200/blind quote for the blinds only or does it also include install?

Should be able to 12x12 blinds for about $50 each if you are installing them yourself. I see some Levolors at that price. Wood blinds are very easy to install yourself unless there are high up in the ceiling and you don't want to be up on a tall ladder. Sounds like they will never be opened and closed once installed.

You'd have to consider how closely you can match the finish and the degree to which you need to do that will vary by the window layout. Since the previous blinds are 15 years old they will be faded. If you have the color name off the original blinds that would help.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> Check out Smith & Noble

I used them in the past (OK, distant past) and their prices were reasonable.

I would go to them, or someone like them (there are many) if I couldn't find what I wanted at a reasonable price at the local home stores. Better, and custom blinds are not really cheap anywhere.

Now if a larger window- not your situation- I would avoid wood blinds if possible because they are so heavy. I had some in a former house and I always wondered when they would come down or fail when operating them.
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

I’m doing 10 windows, ea. about 35x70, 2 1/2” faux wood Levolor blinds at Blinds.com for $1,580. Wait for their 50% off sales.
I’m using their referred installer for $200.
I used Budget Blinds for some plantation shutters, and they were certainly not “budget”.
David S

Post by David S »

Mapmaker wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:45 pm I’m doing 10 windows, ea. about 35x70, 2 1/2” faux wood Levolor blinds at Blinds.com for $1,580. Wait for their 50% off sales.
I’m using their referred installer for $200.
I used Budget Blinds for some plantation shutters, and they were certainly not “budget”.
+1 on Blinds.com
They offer blinds by Bali, Levolor and their own brand in real wood, faux wood, vinyl and aluminum. Also in various sixed slats – you may want to use a narrower slat in those small windows so they don’t look too clunky. And, as Mapmaker mentioned, they’ll install all of them for a flat $200.
We ordered and installed blinds for eleven windows last year after our move. Couldn’t be happier with the price, the fit, and the delivery time.
FitnFin

Post by FitnFin »

I have Levolor blinds, aesthetics are solid and quality is good. Would recommend.