What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wfrobinette

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by wfrobinette »

ElBarto wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:52 am There was a question on what the wife thinks and what has or will get that is worth $200k

She thinks spending so much money on a car is a waste because she would be afraid to drive it. But, she supports my decision as long as I do the research and not just buy on a whim. I have an amazing wife. As for what she is getting? I don't know if this counts or not, but she has been requesting a remodel and I have allocated $150k for it a few years back. We have spent about $65k of it so far and she has the big walk in closet and bathroom she really wanted. She sat with the designer and planned it out herself with designer assistance. She is going to do the same with our kitchen. That money as well as my mortgage payoff money is currently sitting in a Citibank account getting $1,500 sign on bonus for a $200k deposit which I should receive in about 2-3 months. We put the kitchen remodel on hold due to COVID so I figured I might as well do something useful with the money.

I have not counted that cash as part of my portfolio or in any of the discussions because in my eyes that money is spoken for and already spent. If anyone is actually keeping track of the dollars. I know I am. If you add it all up, I will not be able to pay off the mortgage (~$180k) and buy the car and do the remodel and still stay above $3million which is my target number. Current portfolio as of Friday $3.1 million. I can do 2 of the 3 but not all 3 today. I figure as long as I continue to work and the market stays flat from today I should be able to accomplish all three within 6-10 months. I am doing the car research now so that when the cash is available I can buy. Worst case scenario is that I find the perfect car for me and I sell some bonds from the taxable account and put myself slightly below $3 million. I would prefer not to do that. The other worst case scenario is another market drop. I would then hold off on the car until I am back above $3 million + car purchase. I would also hold off on paying down the mortgage and divert cash back into the market. Due to COVID our expenses for the year are well below the $100k-$120k average for the past few years.
What's the portfolio after today? Under 3?
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

OP: In answer to your question, and without judgment, I think that the fun car you should get is one that comes with a mechanic nearby. You probably don't want to have to travel in order to get service.

But, another consideration: Will this fun car make you a target? Will you have the coolest-looking car in your neighborhood, such that your level of wealth will scream out everytime your car is seen by the various laborers who service homes in your region, and also assorted miscreants with whom you have contact? Are you in an area known for car hijackings and home invasions?

Good luck with your decision. Personally, I'd top off at the highest-end Tesla, and have them not put on badging that reflects that highest end.
Topic Author
ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

wfrobinette wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:43 pm
ElBarto wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:52 am There was a question on what the wife thinks and what has or will get that is worth $200k

She thinks spending so much money on a car is a waste because she would be afraid to drive it. But, she supports my decision as long as I do the research and not just buy on a whim. I have an amazing wife. As for what she is getting? I don't know if this counts or not, but she has been requesting a remodel and I have allocated $150k for it a few years back. We have spent about $65k of it so far and she has the big walk in closet and bathroom she really wanted. She sat with the designer and planned it out herself with designer assistance. She is going to do the same with our kitchen. That money as well as my mortgage payoff money is currently sitting in a Citibank account getting $1,500 sign on bonus for a $200k deposit which I should receive in about 2-3 months. We put the kitchen remodel on hold due to COVID so I figured I might as well do something useful with the money.

I have not counted that cash as part of my portfolio or in any of the discussions because in my eyes that money is spoken for and already spent. If anyone is actually keeping track of the dollars. I know I am. If you add it all up, I will not be able to pay off the mortgage (~$180k) and buy the car and do the remodel and still stay above $3million which is my target number. Current portfolio as of Friday $3.1 million. I can do 2 of the 3 but not all 3 today. I figure as long as I continue to work and the market stays flat from today I should be able to accomplish all three within 6-10 months. I am doing the car research now so that when the cash is available I can buy. Worst case scenario is that I find the perfect car for me and I sell some bonds from the taxable account and put myself slightly below $3 million. I would prefer not to do that. The other worst case scenario is another market drop. I would then hold off on the car until I am back above $3 million + car purchase. I would also hold off on paying down the mortgage and divert cash back into the market. Due to COVID our expenses for the year are well below the $100k-$120k average for the past few years.
What's the portfolio after today? Under 3?
Definitely under $3 million. This may or may not delay the purchase but I have no plans on delaying the research.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

smitcat wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:40 pm
"If it were me and my money I would get someone to build me a replica Shelby cobra. I think they can be had for 50k, but in the right specs m sure you can spend more, of course there is no dealer network for those."
Interesting - I found building my Cobra replica to be very rewarding in many ways. But in no terms would it compare to many of the cars that are being talked about in this thread. The more 'accurate' you would make the Cobra the less likely it would perform or be desirable for most folks.
Which kit did you build?

The FFR in my screen name is Factory Five Racing and 1846 was the kit # of my mk 1.5 Cobra. I got it on the road in 2000 and sold it in 2011 when the State of Massachusetts continuously changed the laws and requirements on these cars and it became impossible for me to keep up. I sold mine for $20k. It was a FI 302 (from an explorer), B cam, bigger mass air, live rear axle. Graphics to mimic Dick Smith's #198 with the big numbers.

To those asking why one would buy an exotic, high performance car and not track it, the answer is risk. I ran a former SCCA ITA Honda CRX in prepared C with COM for 5 years. That 1 time I put it in the tire wall simply meant I had to swap out the flat spotted Hoosier R. If I balled the thing into a hard wall and it became scrap metal, I'd have been out all of about $4k. At the same time, My Lotus Elise cost me $30k. It was in excellent shape with a well known history. I drove it on the street for fun, to cars n coffee, out to Lime Rock to watch races and take it with the Lotus club for parade laps with my son. That was fun as I'm very familiar with the track having owned track records in SSA with a 90 BMW M3 and SSC with a 2004 Mazda 6i. You don't get to look at scenery when you're on the clock. There's no way I'd put the car at risk. Insurance does NOT cover you on the track unless you pay for a separate policy.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:55 pm
"If it were me and my money I would get someone to build me a replica Shelby cobra. I think they can be had for 50k, but in the right specs m sure you can spend more, of course there is no dealer network for those."
Interesting - I found building my Cobra replica to be very rewarding in many ways. But in no terms would it compare to many of the cars that are being talked about in this thread. The more 'accurate' you would make the Cobra the less likely it would perform or be desirable for most folks.
Which kit did you build?

The FFR in my screen name is Factory Five Racing and 1846 was the kit # of my mk 1.5 Cobra. I got it on the road in 2000 and sold it in 2011 when the State of Massachusetts continuously changed the laws and requirements on these cars and it became impossible for me to keep up. I sold mine for $20k. It was a FI 302 (from an explorer), B cam, bigger mass air, live rear axle. Graphics to mimic Dick Smith's #198 with the big numbers.

To those asking why one would buy an exotic, high performance car and not track it, the answer is risk. I ran a former SCCA ITA Honda CRX in prepared C with COM for 5 years. That 1 time I put it in the tire wall simply meant I had to swap out the flat spotted Hoosier R. If I balled the thing into a hard wall and it became scrap metal, I'd have been out all of about $4k. At the same time, My Lotus Elise cost me $30k. It was in excellent shape with a well known history. I drove it on the street for fun, to cars n coffee, out to Lime Rock to watch races and take it with the Lotus club for parade laps with my son. That was fun as I'm very familiar with the track having owned track records in SSA with a 90 BMW M3 and SSC with a 2004 Mazda 6i. You don't get to look at scenery when you're on the clock. There's no way I'd put the car at risk. Insurance does NOT cover you on the track unless you pay for a separate policy.
"The FFR in my screen name is Factory Five Racing and 1846 was the kit # of my mk 1.5 Cobra. I got it on the road in 2000 and sold it in 2011 when the State of Massachusetts continuously changed the laws and requirements on these cars and it became impossible for me to keep up. I sold mine for $20k. It was a FI 302 (from an explorer), B cam, bigger mass air, live rear axle. Graphics to mimic Dick Smith's #198 with the big numbers."
I remember this from some of your other posts - these are nice kits and seem to assemble and balance out well. I am sure this was a huge amount of fun and something you will always be glad you do.

When I built the kit it was earlier and there were fewer options - I went with Elegant Motors out of Indianapolis because they were agreeable to stretching their existing kits to fit a 98" wheelbase corvette chassis. The kit was assembled in the mid to late 80's and was on the road somewhere around 1989 - sold it somewhere around 1996 - 1998 for a bit less than $45K. I had previously found out (the hard way) that I could not really fit into and drive a 1962 Corvette due to the shorter wheelbase and my height - similarly I tried to fit into an original length Cobra kit and had the same issues.
Elegant produced a 90" kit as well as a 90" Cheetah kit at the time that was reasonable quality but basically a body with doors etc and no frame or drivetrain. I took a 1991 Corvette frame and worked up the stiffness with gusseting and changed all the suspension and bushings with heim joints and home poured bushings. The engine started out as a 1990 LS6 before I bored it out .060 over and added all the other speed parts - I built the engine in the basement all except for the crank/piston balancing, magnafluxing ,and boring steps. Added a M22 2.42:1 reworked trans and clutch and off it went. We did get a chance to run it a couple of times at Bridgehampton before it shut down permanently as well as a number of off street autocross
events that do not occur anywhere around here anymore.
During those times I was also n a kick to install small block chevies in varied vehicles: Toyota FJ55, Datsun 260Z, Jeep CJ7, 1962 Corvette, etc.
All the Ford engines I had owned were mostly in Mustangs:1970 Mach 1 (315C), 1969 Mach 1 (351W) , 1970 Mach 1 (428 SCJ), and a Boss 302.
Sorry that those days are long gone...
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I'd save some money and buy a Raptor for now and trade that in on the highest trim for the 2nd year of the new Bronco when that is available. Or maybe I'd just get both if I had the garage space 8-)
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

smitcat wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:50 pm We did get a chance to run it a couple of times at Bridgehampton before it shut down permanently as well as a number of off street autocross
events that do not occur anywhere around here anymore.........
Sorry that those days are long gone...
I did a 2 day event with COM at Bridgehampton sometime in the early 90's before it shut down. 2 windshield stars out of that courtesy of a GTi at the corner after the bridge. It was, as you know a very threatening course, where if you went off sideways, you were going to flip, being all beach sand.

The FFRs were much cheaper to build. I sold mine for $20k and actually made money over what it cost me to build.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Kagord wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:14 am
BuckyBadger wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:51 am
researcher wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:39 pm
tibbitts wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:13 pm
investingdad wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:42 pm
That is an interesting question. :)
Unless they have the same passion, that's an excellent point: it's actually a $300-$400k expense we're looking at here. That might change some of the responses.
An eye for an eye. A tooth for a tooth. Is that how your marriages work?

I've never ran out and purchased something of equal value as something my wife buys (and vice versa).
We don't keep a tally sheet of who buys what, and what partner is "owned" something.
Of course not - don't be silly and don't pretend you don't see the difference here.

My husband has never planned on making a purchase wholely unrelated to me that costs a calculable portion of our net worth when a "family" financial goal has been met.

I'm assuming you recognize the difference between keeping a tally for normal purchases and this particular situation when one partner intends on spending over 6% of the net worth of the entire family on this sort of purchase that benefits only him.

A family purchase like a luxury vacation or a home remodel seems a much more appropriate use of funds as they will be enjoyed by both partners.
Middle ground, it's a discussion. 6% is really exorbitantly high, I'd be shooting for .003 to .006 for a purchase, and include 3 years expected maint in that calc.
.006 is $18,000 on a $3 million portfolio. You're surely not suggesting that OP can only afford, or as a matter of best practice should only purchase, or should strive to keep his purchase to, an under 18k car, are you?
sambb

Post by sambb »

id get a Carrera T and be done with it. you can afford it. It will be fun.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

8foot7 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:13 pm
Kagord wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:14 am
BuckyBadger wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:51 am
researcher wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:39 pm
tibbitts wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:13 pm
Unless they have the same passion, that's an excellent point: it's actually a $300-$400k expense we're looking at here. That might change some of the responses.
An eye for an eye. A tooth for a tooth. Is that how your marriages work?

I've never ran out and purchased something of equal value as something my wife buys (and vice versa).
We don't keep a tally sheet of who buys what, and what partner is "owned" something.
Of course not - don't be silly and don't pretend you don't see the difference here.

My husband has never planned on making a purchase wholely unrelated to me that costs a calculable portion of our net worth when a "family" financial goal has been met.

I'm assuming you recognize the difference between keeping a tally for normal purchases and this particular situation when one partner intends on spending over 6% of the net worth of the entire family on this sort of purchase that benefits only him.

A family purchase like a luxury vacation or a home remodel seems a much more appropriate use of funds as they will be enjoyed by both partners.
Middle ground, it's a discussion. 6% is really exorbitantly high, I'd be shooting for .003 to .006 for a purchase, and include 3 years expected maint in that calc.
.006 is $18,000 on a $3 million portfolio. You're surely not suggesting that OP can only afford, or as a matter of best practice should only purchase, or should strive to keep his purchase to, an under 18k car, are you?
Right? Excluding my house (and mortgage debt), my net worth is only $100,000. I'm definitely going to spend more than $600 on my next car. It'll likely be about $20,000 (I'm thinking used CR-V or Forester). I am saving up to pay for it with cash, though
er999

Post by er999 »

Which kit did you build?

Any reason not to track a nice car as long as you buy track insurance? Was thinking about trying my Lotus on the track at least 1-2 times once covid is over. (never been on a track before) The insurance is expensive (looks like $200-300 a day) so can see if you want to go out to the track 20 times a year you may not want to take a nice car but any surprises if I buy the insurance?
olliema

Post by olliema »

It sounds like you are looking for a true "driver's car" that you can enjoy, and you've effectively unconstrained your budget at $150K+ to buy most any car. It sounds like a very (positively) emotional purchase and that you want to fulfill a childhood aspiration.

My sense is you should just drive cars and buy the one that makes you feel the happiest. You'll know it when you find it. Try the Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Aston, Audi RS8, and the new Corvette. Try a ZL1, Shelby, and even a Hellcat. Try a Cobra replica and a used Viper while you are at it. You have $200K in your pocket, you're a casual buyer, and they want your money. So go drive some cars and enjoy the search. Once you find the model you like refine your search and buy the absolute best specimen you can find per your specs. If it takes a year that is OK. Have fun with it.

If I was being rational I would a car that I could extract 80% of its performance on a track, then do track days to find the last 20%. For most of us that would be a Miata or Subaru BR-Z. But you could buy a new M3 and pay for hundreds of hours of professional instruction and end up having a great time.
McCharley

Post by McCharley »

Marmot wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:09 pm I like the Tesla - but i would get the Roadster when it is released. I have a 2019 model X, and it is awesome.

https://www.tesla.com/roadster

I saw this electric Porsche on "Jay Leno's Garage". Looked ultra cool:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/tayc ... can-turbo/
Honestly, the Tesla Roadster for the win! :sharebeer

But if you are impatient I'd get a Model X with all the extras. It will blow your mind.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

McCharley wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:26 pm
Marmot wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:09 pm I like the Tesla - but i would get the Roadster when it is released. I have a 2019 model X, and it is awesome.

https://www.tesla.com/roadster

I saw this electric Porsche on "Jay Leno's Garage". Looked ultra cool:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/tayc ... can-turbo/
Honestly, the Tesla Roadster for the win! :sharebeer

But if you are impatient I'd get a Model X with all the extras. It will blow your mind.
How is model X even an option?
It's a big ugly heavy car. It's the opposite of everything a fun car should be. Did I mention ugly?
It's inferior even in the land of electric SUVs in terms of quality and comfort. Read the reviews against e-tron.
Zombies

Post by Zombies »

Starfish wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:22 am How is model X even an option?
It's a big ugly heavy car. It's the opposite of everything a fun car should be. Did I mention ugly?
It's inferior even in the land of electric SUVs in terms of quality and comfort. Read the reviews against e-tron.
The Model X Performance is very fast, and fantastic for driving around town or even on long trips (with supercharging). The seats are very comfortable, and the always-present torque make for a fun drive wherever you go. It also isn’t that big.

That said, it’s definitely not a “fun car” or a weekend car or a twisties car, so it doesn’t make much sense here. But as a daily driver or even an only car that is also used for the occasional spirited drive it’s top-notch. If you have kids, it transforms into the best all-around car I’ve owned, and I’m a car guy.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

8foot7 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:13 pm
Kagord wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:14 am Middle ground, it's a discussion. 6% is really exorbitantly high, I'd be shooting for .003 to .006 for a purchase, and include 3 years expected maint in that calc.
I included a response to that post in an earlier longer one of mine, but bottom line is you don't know when people are kidding on the internet. At max of that range, not only can a $3mil NW person only 'afford' a $18k car, but it takes $33mil NW to 'afford' a $200k car. That has to be a joke, as to what anyone would seriously believe is 'affordable'. OTOH if a particular person spends that little of NW on cars because that's just all they feel like spending, fine, obviously. There's just no serious basis for that kind of number with any implication that's the max 'affordable', and post might be a complete joke.
wander

Post by wander »

For me, $150 - $200k is a serious car. It does not sound fun at all. Taking it to a supermarket, I will be worried about scratching paint, so pick a parking spot far away from the entrance and be bothered that someone park their cars next to it when I got out of the store. I will call it a "headache car" :oops:
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

wander wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:01 am For me, $150 - $200k is a serious car. It does not sound fun at all. Taking it to a supermarket, I will be worried about scratching paint, so pick a parking spot far away from the entrance and be bothered that someone park their cars next to it when I got out of the store. I will call it a "headache car" :oops:
Yes, but think of all the extra exercise you’ll be getting and the “close up” spots you’ll be freeing up for the lazy people. I do this even with my dinged car. 😁
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

er999 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:00 pm
Which kit did you build?

Any reason not to track a nice car as long as you buy track insurance? Was thinking about trying my Lotus on the track at least 1-2 times once covid is over. (never been on a track before) The insurance is expensive (looks like $200-300 a day) so can see if you want to go out to the track 20 times a year you may not want to take a nice car but any surprises if I buy the insurance?
Besides the risk of totaling it, a “nicer” car is likely to have more expensive consumables. If it has a ton of power and a lot of electronic driving aids, it is likely to encourage bad habits on track. If it hits higher speeds, you are taking additional risk. A car that hits 150+ on an average road course would give me some serious pause before giving it 100%.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

When I was younger, it would have been an E type Jag. Used and beat up some of course due to lack of money. Now I'd buy another boat. I'd get a large new truck to pull a new Bass Cat Jaguar. That's a 22-foot bass boat that comes with a Mercury 450 R V8 outboard. I don't need to go 88 mph, but it's more fun on the water than on I-95. My wife said to get one. If she says I can afford, I suppose I can afford it. Right? The linked review says $143,000, but who knows what upgrades I would get. Then there's the truck to pull it.

www.boatingmag.com/story/boats/2020-bass-cat-jaguar

www.basscat.com/boats/page/5/jaguar#info-modal
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

andypanda wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:22 pm When I was younger, it would have been an E type Jag. Used and beat up some of course due to lack of money. Now I'd buy another boat. I'd get a large new truck to pull a new Bass Cat Jaguar. That's a 22-foot bass boat that comes with a Mercury 450 R V8 outboard. I don't need to go 88 mph, but it's more fun on the water than on I-95. My wife said to get one. If she says I can afford, I suppose I can afford it. Right? The linked review says $143,000, but who knows what upgrades I would get. Then there's the truck to pull it.

www.boatingmag.com/story/boats/2020-bass-cat-jaguar

www.basscat.com/boats/page/5/jaguar#info-modal
FWIW - it looks like 1-4 year old equivalent boats are available for 1/3 to 1/2 that price with most having less than 100 hrs on them some not even having 15 hours. They all seem to include a custom trailer and do not have significant weight for trailering.
https://www.boattrader.com/boats/make-b ... tion-used/
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Thanks, but none of those are the over the top Jaguar with the huge Merc 450 V8. The $65k Bass Cat on the list only has a Merc 250 on it. Only ;}
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

andypanda wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:09 am Thanks, but none of those are the over the top Jaguar with the huge Merc 450 V8. The $65k Bass Cat on the list only has a Merc 250 on it. Only ;}
OK - please post back and let us know how you like the boat.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I certainly will if I get it.

I realize that $150k buys a nice car(to replace my wife's '16 Avalon Touring), a nice truck (a new 4Runner to replace my 2016 Trail Premium) and leave enough for a very nice 2nd boat, but this is a thread about spending money on fun.

I was looking at boat sites Saturday when the mail was delivered. One of my banks sent the notice that a $100k CD is due to roll over at a much lower interest rate. :moneybag
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

One could certainly buy track insurance. When I tracked, I'd do 20 days a year, easy. So no, I wasn't going to pay maybe $300 a day for track insurance. For students, it's another $300 on top of that for the track fee. If you do one or 2 a year, sure, makes sense. Track use can also be hard on a car. So while my Elise was really built as the perfect track day car, it stayed in my garage.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

andypanda wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:09 am I certainly will if I get it.

I realize that $150k buys a nice car(to replace my wife's '16 Avalon Touring), a nice truck (a new 4Runner to replace my 2016 Trail Premium) and leave enough for a very nice 2nd boat, but this is a thread about spending money on fun.

I was looking at boat sites Saturday when the mail was delivered. One of my banks sent the notice that a $100k CD is due to roll over at a much lower interest rate. :moneybag
"leave enough for a very nice 2nd boat, but this is a thread about spending money on fun."
I guess the point was that you can often get a whole bunch more for a slightly used item then buying new especially when it comes to 'over the top' boats. We bought a 'slightly used' RIB to follow along with our other boat that was 'over the top' and it worked out very well both financially and in use. If you have done 60 or 70 mph in a boat you likely know that that it is not something you can do often or long and that it gets old fairly quickly so its best if the boat also does other things equally well.
Topic Author
ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

smitcat wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:52 am

"leave enough for a very nice 2nd boat, but this is a thread about spending money on fun."
I guess the point was that you can often get a whole bunch more for a slightly used item then buying new especially when it comes to 'over the top' boats. We bought a 'slightly used' RIB to follow along with our other boat that was 'over the top' and it worked out very well both financially and in use. If you have done 60 or 70 mph in a boat you likely know that that it is not something you can do often or long and that it gets old fairly quickly so its best if the boat also does other things equally well.
So in the terms of this thread you are saying instead of buying 1 car for $150k buying multiple cars with different utilities
Rubicon
Cayman S
F150
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Finding this late.. but are you SURE that you really want a car that cost as much as some houses?

Diehard car guys (I am one) could tell you in their sleep what car they would buy if they had such a budget. No deliberation required. The fact that you need suggestions suggests to me that you are not really that into cars. As such this purchase may scratch some itch to show off but I bet in a few months to a year the novelty will wear off and you will bore of it.

Maybe think of some other way to utilize the money that is a better fit for your tastes and personality.
Last edited by jharkin on Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

jharkin wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:04 pm Finding htis late.. but are you SURE that you really want a car that cost as much as some houses?

Dieheard car guys (I am one) could tell you in their sleep what car they would buy if they had such a budget. No deliberation required. The fact that you need suggestions suggests to me that you are not really that into cars. As such this purchase may scratch some itch to show off but I bet in a few months to a year the novelty will wear off and you will bore of it.

Maybe think of some other way to utilize the money that is a better fit for your tastes and personality.
I'd consider myself a diehard car guy, but could see myself starting a suggestion thread. New cars might be a bit obvious, but if you open the universe to vintage cars, there's an amazing number of potential cars, and it's impossible to always know where the current market value of them might be.

I have a pretty good idea what I'd buy in the price range, but I could see arguments for different cars. Not everyone has a single car they lust after over all others, especially when you aren't quite to the unlimited budget tier. Even if you are at the unlimited budget tier, you then are subject to the variances of the auction market.
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

jharkin wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:04 pmFinding htis late.. but are you SURE that you really want a car that cost as much as some houses?

Dieheard car guys (I am one) could tell you in their sleep what car they would buy if they had such a budget. No deliberation required. The fact that you need suggestions suggests to me that you are not really that into cars. As such this purchase may scratch some itch to show off but I bet in a few months to a year the novelty will wear off and you will bore of it.
The original post has been edited to show he is specifically looking at a McLaren MP4-12C.
Topic Author
ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

jharkin wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:04 pm Finding htis late.. but are you SURE that you really want a car that cost as much as some houses?

My original desire was to have a Mclaren MP4-12C or one of its descendants since it came out. But, I want to keep an open mind and see other options. I think it would be a little naive to drop so much money without actually doing the research. I have always wanted a McLaren but I still have never driven one or even sat in one. It just looks so amazing in reviews and on paper. How foolish would I be if I dropped $180k on a car without actually sitting inside it? Also, wouldn't it be wise to look at alternative options as well so as to avoid buyers remorse?

Before I bought my last sports sedan, I did a bunch of research, test drove maybe a dozen different cars, read forums, studies options for modification to make the car better. All of that probably took me about 6 months and that was a $60k purchase followed by about $8k in upgrades over the next 2 years. Interestingly enough the car I liked the most on paper ended up being the car I ended up purchasing. So who knows a McLaren 650 may be what I end up getting. But I will definitely first check out 2 Ferrari's, maybe 3-4 different Porsches, the Corvette, an Audi, a Lotus, an Aston Martin, maybe I missed something. As a car guy, how much fun would it be to take a look at these cars, learn about them and drive some of them?
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

ElBarto wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:19 pm
smitcat wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:52 am

So in the terms of this thread you are saying instead of buying 1 car for $150k buying multiple cars with different utilities
Rubicon
Cayman S
F150
Well I guess I did although I was not aware of it as I typed the response regarding the boat. We did own a Callaway corvette at the same time we had a Ford Raptor pickup. Between the two vehicles over maybe 4 years of ownership each we ended up selling them for more or less the same that we purchased them for - that would not have happened had we bought them new.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

MMiroir wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:15 pm
jharkin wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:04 pmFinding htis late.. but are you SURE that you really want a car that cost as much as some houses?

The original post has been edited to show he is specifically looking at a McLaren MP4-12C.
Has anybody seen Lucas, the Prince of Darkness recently, he should chime in.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

If you seriously look at a 12C, keep the warranty limit in mind. 10 years, 75k miles.

https://cars.mclaren.com/us-en/ownershi ... he%20clock.

A 12C engine will still cost more than a new Toyota as will the dual clutch transmission.
Topic Author
ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:59 pm If you seriously look at a 12C, keep the warranty limit in mind. 10 years, 75k miles.

https://cars.mclaren.com/us-en/ownershi ... he%20clock.

A 12C engine will still cost more than a new Toyota as will the dual clutch transmission.
12C was the first McLaren production car which introduced the fiberglass tub technology. Since then as you know, they have made a few upgrades and variations. I don't see myself going for the 12C but one of the later variants like 2015/16 650s is probably where I would be looking at about 140k-160k.
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:59 pmA 12C engine will still cost more than a new Toyota as will the dual clutch transmission.
According to Hoovie, the engine replacement on the 12C cost $70,000, and the transmission replacement will cost $30,000.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-video/vi ... 4979900152

I would stay with a Lotus. You get 90% of the experience of the McLaren, but the engine and transmission are Toyota and will cost a fraction to repair/replace if anything goes wrong.
edge

Post by edge »

Mclaren cars are pretty uncomfortable/unforgiving.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

edge wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:41 am Mclaren cars are pretty uncomfortable/unforgiving.
Most reviews actually praise them for being fairly comfortable. There's also going to be a difference in comfort between their hard core track car (Senna) and their 570GT (touring car).

I definitely wouldn't want to own an MP12-C- they were really still working out the kinks with those. If you are willing to go to the top of your budget, lightly used 600LTs are just under $200k. Something about that top exit exhaust is just so awesome. I'd also wager they'd hold value long term a bit better being more of a "special" model.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

MMiroir wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:16 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:59 pmA 12C engine will still cost more than a new Toyota as will the dual clutch transmission.
According to Hoovie, the engine replacement on the 12C cost $70,000, and the transmission replacement will cost $30,000.

I would stay with a Lotus. You get 90% of the experience of the McLaren, but the engine and transmission are Toyota and will cost a fraction to repair/replace if anything goes wrong.
I know what you're thinking. Now to tell you the truth, in all that excitement back there in that video, I kind of lost track myself if it was 1 or was 2 times the transmission and engine needed to be replaced in under 30K miles. But being that this is the McLaren, the most powerful depreciating supercar ever built, that would blow it's head gasket clean right off, the OP just needs to ask himself one question, "Do I feel lucky?"
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

ElBarto wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:35 pm

My original desire was to have a Mclaren MP4-12C or one of its descendants since it came out. But, I want to keep an open mind and see other options. I think it would be a little naive to drop so much money without actually doing the research. I have always wanted a McLaren but I still have never driven one or even sat in one. It just looks so amazing in reviews and on paper. How foolish would I be if I dropped $180k on a car without actually sitting inside it? Also, wouldn't it be wise to look at alternative options as well so as to avoid buyers remorse?

Before I bought my last sports sedan, I did a bunch of research, test drove maybe a dozen different cars, read forums, studies options for modification to make the car better. All of that probably took me about 6 months and that was a $60k purchase followed by about $8k in upgrades over the next 2 years. Interestingly enough the car I liked the most on paper ended up being the car I ended up purchasing. So who knows a McLaren 650 may be what I end up getting. But I will definitely first check out 2 Ferrari's, maybe 3-4 different Porsches, the Corvette, an Audi, a Lotus, an Aston Martin, maybe I missed something. As a car guy, how much fun would it be to take a look at these cars, learn about them and drive some of them?
The MP4-12C is incredibly unrealiable from everything I have heard and read. You can get a 720S, 600LT, or 675LT for the upper end of your budget. They're still going to depreciate like a rock compared to something like a GT3 or GT3RS, but those aren't exotic cars.

For my money I'd be looking at an F12 Berlinetta or 458 at your price point. 458 will hold its value better but a V12 Ferrari (the F12) is simply amazing. There is nothing like it IMO.
edge

Post by edge »

You are probably right...I haven't sampled all of them. I've been in the one that has the glass window on the lower part of the door so you can see the street whiz past. The ride was rough.
alfaspider wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:58 am
edge wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:41 am Mclaren cars are pretty uncomfortable/unforgiving.
Most reviews actually praise them for being fairly comfortable. There's also going to be a difference in comfort between their hard core track car (Senna) and their 570GT (touring car).

I definitely wouldn't want to own an MP12-C- they were really still working out the kinks with those. If you are willing to go to the top of your budget, lightly used 600LTs are just under $200k. Something about that top exit exhaust is just so awesome. I'd also wager they'd hold value long term a bit better being more of a "special" model.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

edge wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:37 am You are probably right...I haven't sampled all of them. I've been in the one that has the glass window on the lower part of the door so you can see the street whiz past. The ride was rough.

That's a Senna, which is their hard core track model. Though I'm sort of amazed someone managed to get a ride in a Senna without knowing what was.
edge

Post by edge »

I've never been into McLarens and I was a passenger for a short ride. Guy in the neighborhood had it, he hardly drove it (track or otherwise).
alfaspider wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:41 am
edge wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:37 am You are probably right...I haven't sampled all of them. I've been in the one that has the glass window on the lower part of the door so you can see the street whiz past. The ride was rough.

That's a Senna, which is their hard core track model. Though I'm sort of amazed someone managed to get a ride in a Senna without knowing what was.
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

Porsche Taycan. Obvious answer
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

MMiroir wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:16 pm

+1

A lot of McLarens look like a Lotus or even the older Tesla roadster. That’s kinda bugged me about them. The only McLaren I ever got really excited about was the F1 back in the 90’s.

Personally, I’ve always been fond of the Ferrari California. Plenty fast, and probably the only Ferrari you might daily drive to work. Alternative choice would be Porsche Turbo.

Happy hunting!
edge

Post by edge »

I would get a GT4. Slightly below this range but its an exceptionally well balanced car that is mostly usable on the road as well. Has a great manual transmission also.
Topic Author
ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

In case anyone cares regarding my progress, I have payed down the mortgage a bit. When cash hits my pocket, if the market is down I buy VTI if the market is up that day I put it towards the mortgage. I hope to have the thing paid off by end of year which I doubt will happen unless we have a massive recovery which I do not expect. At this rate it would be nice to have it paid off by Middle of 2021. By then I hope there will be a vaccine and life can get back to normal.

Also, I was planning on renting an older 911 turbo as my first rent and try out car. Plan was to keep it for 3 days so I can drive it around a bit but it got canceled on me for some unknown reason. On top of all this COVID is making headlines again so I wonder if I should hold back for a month or two until things settle down again.

Luckily I am in no rush to do anything.
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:29 am
BruDude wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:22 am
BogleBoogie wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:02 am Have you looked at an Acura NSX? This would be the first car I would test drive if that were my budget.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/acura-n ... 2022-leak/
The NSX has no soul and it's still an Acura. Too much competition in the price range and the engine sounds terrible compared to other cars at the same level. Would be a compelling car at $75k but not at $110k+ IMO
One of my best friends has one - along with a F430, Tesla model S, Porsche speedster kit car, supercharged Range Rover, and a few others - and it was my favorite of his stable to drive. To be fair, the sounds made by the F430 are pretty amazing. If you are purist who loves air-cooled, naturally aspirated engines, and not too much techno wizardry saving you, it is definitely not for you. Based on sales and depreciation, it has been a definite bust with sports car aficionados.
Well there you go! The favorite out of that pack says a lot.
Mofire

Post by Mofire »

MB AMG G wagon 8-)
Topic Author
ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

I just wanted to come back and respond update this thread. I will also update OP. Since starting this discussion we have paid off the mortgage and have over $3 million plus enough money to purchase a nice car. This occurred much faster than expected thanks to rebalancing in March, our robust economy, as well as being lucky to stay employed and healthy.

Since starting this thread a few months back, I have rented and/or test driven many cars and here is what I came up with.

Although driving an exotic sports car is amazing, I realize also it is a stressful ownership experience. Parking the car and making sure no one dings it made the whole experience less fun, and I was just renting the car. I tried treating the car as if I owned it which lead to that experience.

I love to drive and an exotic car although fun to drive is not something I am willing to take to the track and really get the most out of it.

With the above being said I realize that what I really want is a track car I can enjoy driving fast without the fear of destroying it, while having something fun to drive around town that I wont have to worry leaving in a parking lot. My new plan is to get either a Miata or maybe a Cayman and get back to HPDE (high performance driving education.) After getting better and more comfortable with manual I may consider getting a trailer and purchasing or building a track only car. I am contemplating replacing my daily driver with a Tesla Model 3 performance package. The other option is a Cayman GTS which later on I could install roll bars and a 4 point restraint to make it my track only car if it depreciates. I may not do that if the car's value goes up over time.

I thank everyone here for their input.