What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
redmaw

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by redmaw »

I didn't make it through all the replies, but after the requisite 911 and Tesla posts... My suggestions vary, but I'm not sure I hit the target price (I never shop to a price, I find what I want and then ask how much, it's cheaper that way)

I see you already have a rs4, it's going to be hard to find a car significantly more fun than that on the street, where performance is limited by how stupid you are willing to be on public streets, not really the car. So I think you need to decide what you want out of the car... Ultimate performance, great luxury, a special feel? For mostly road use performance become secondary for me, for track use it's all that matters. Since you didn't mention tracking the car, I'm going to say that's not where you are heading... This points me something like a jaguar f-type or Mercedes gt, nisssan gtr, zo6, maybe even a Bentley. If you want a track car, get a track car... A spec Miata or maybe a caterham or something like that. If you really will be doing a solid mix of both that 911 is probably best (do they still kill new drivers with snap oversteer?)

If it were me and my money I would get someone to build me a replica Shelby cobra. I think they can be had for 50k, but in the right specs m sure you can spend more, of course there is no dealer network for those.
researcher

Post by researcher »

BuckyBadger wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:51 am Of course not - don't be silly and don't pretend you don't see the difference here.
I'm assuming you recognize the difference between keeping a tally for normal purchases and this particular situation when one partner intends on spending over 6% of the net worth of the entire family on this sort of purchase that benefits only him.
I was responding to the comment that "it's actually a $300-$400k expense we're looking at here," claiming the wife must spend $150K-$200K on something of her own, just because the OP is looking to purchase a fun car of that value.

The OP can clearly afford this vehicle. If his wife doesn't object to the purchase, then what is the big deal???
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Kagord wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:14 am
BuckyBadger wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:51 am
researcher wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:39 pm
tibbitts wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:13 pm
investingdad wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:42 pm
That is an interesting question. :)
Unless they have the same passion, that's an excellent point: it's actually a $300-$400k expense we're looking at here. That might change some of the responses.
An eye for an eye. A tooth for a tooth. Is that how your marriages work?
Of course not - don't be silly and don't pretend you don't see the difference here.
I'm assuming you recognize the difference between keeping a tally for normal purchases and this particular situation when one partner intends on spending over 6% of the net worth of the entire family on this sort of purchase that benefits only him.
Middle ground, it's a discussion. 6% is really exorbitantly high, I'd be shooting for .003 to .006 for a purchase...
It's a fair point that a purchase like this should be jointly supported and agreed for a couple. No reference to OP, since we have no reason to think that isn't the case there. Likewise it's further speculation that the less car oriented partner would assume or demand an equal $ purchase for themselves. That really depends, is not 'how all equal marriages work' nor would that make it an 'eye for an eye' stand off.

I pulled the trigger on my most expensive car purchase ($60k not $175k) to date when my wife, having seen me watch too many videos about the car (BMW M2) demanded we go get one, immediately. Which we have enjoyed together in sense 3/4's of the miles on it are from long road trips we take together, though it's mostly me at the wheel. Our much older car (Lexus SUV) I bought for her as a birthday surprise. Obviously there's reciprocity in a marriage. Although it doesn't necessarily mean a $175k car is really a $350k spend.

As to .3-.6% I don't see why any particular % like that. Although people can limit themselves to anything they like and I'm not saying my % is higher. :happy But to me it's what feels right for rational or not strictly rational reasons not a %:
-use close to full performance on sparsely traveled winding two lane public roads without being an idiot: the M2 is near optimal in this regard IMO, lower-mid 911 fits OK, high end 911's, or a 700hp McLaren (>>$200k anyway), fit progressively less well. Hardcore tracking has a much higher probably of reducing value (including wrecking). I wouldn't spend even $60k on a track car.
-not worrying about the car too much, perhaps irrationally, but my enjoyment can be limited by my tendency to worry. Related, worry about mechanical reliability 100's of miles from dealer, maybe 100 miles from even a gas station. I trust a low miles BMW or Porsche, not a McLaren.
-not changing various relationships, like example set for grown kids who still don't know our net worth in detail. And while many assume expensive cars are to impress friends and neighbors that weighs in the other direction for me. We live in a city, M2 in a garage blocks away not in anyone's face. Although if our generally not-so-well-off local friends happen to see us in it, we have a right to live our life. But that would be a more negative factor for me w/ say a Lambo. A 'good' reason I should care about that say and think? Maybe not, but it might affect my enjoyment.

Although I might rethink these things, anyway some really small % of NW is not directly a concern.
azanon

Post by azanon »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:42 pm
azanon wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:30 pm
alfaspider wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:11 pm
azanon wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:03 pm
alfaspider wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:58 pm

Scotty Kilmer's comments about Nissan are about as relevant to the GTR as a discussion on horseshoes.
I have every bit of confidence Scotty would disagree with you.
I have every bit of confidence we would disagree about most things :mrgreen: Frankly, I find that guy's popularity baffling.

As far as Nissan is concerned. Yeah, I wouldn't recommend someone go out and buy a Sentra. It's a troubled company that has been making some seriously uninspiring cars for a long time now. But the GTR is really its own separate thing and has almost nothing to do with the more pedestrian cars sold by the company.
I'll admit I was just the messenger, and that was my best guess at what he'd say if asked. Scotty (for better or worse) takes a very strong, brand-centric view of cars, meaning if he thinks there's a major issue with a car company, he wouldn't trust anything produced by them, from Sentra, all the way up to GTR. Now I'm not saying whether he's right or wrong to do that, but just saying I doubt he'd give the GTR a pass.

His claim is (now) 52 years of experience fixing cars gives him the right to be knowledgeable about such things. Whether that's a good reason or not, is anyone's opinion.
You can find very experienced mechanics who are pro or con on just about any brand. Scotty is just a particularly opinionated one one. Being brand-centric makes less and less sense as car brands have become increasingly global and components are increasingly shared between manufacturers. If you are buying a new Toyota Supra, you should be looking to BMW reliability, because it's a BMW in all but aesthetic features. As for the GTR, it's made in a different plant with VERY different componentry than any other Nissan. The GTR has about as much in common with a Sentra as a Honda does other than perhaps minor items like switchgear.
Couple of things - false analogy on the Toyota (BMW) Supra. That actually is a BMW with a Toyota label, and Scotty enjoys pointing that out.

We just have to disagree on the association with GTR with Nissan (you're implying that there's effectively no association, and I'm saying it's clearly otherwise). I'm not an expert on that particular car, so I did take a minute or so to verify that the GTR is actually a bonafide Nissan, and not just a rebranded car actually built by some other company other than Nissan such as the new Toyota Supra you brought up. Also, the assembly (meaning who's doing it/where its being done) matters more than the origin of the parts, and if there are operational issues with a given company, the fact that they're building an exotic car won't erase those problems...... in my opinion. To reiterate, we disagree on this, and I'm cool with that.
Topic Author
ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

There was a question on what the wife thinks and what has or will get that is worth $200k

She thinks spending so much money on a car is a waste because she would be afraid to drive it. But, she supports my decision as long as I do the research and not just buy on a whim. I have an amazing wife. As for what she is getting? I don't know if this counts or not, but she has been requesting a remodel and I have allocated $150k for it a few years back. We have spent about $65k of it so far and she has the big walk in closet and bathroom she really wanted. She sat with the designer and planned it out herself with designer assistance. She is going to do the same with our kitchen. That money as well as my mortgage payoff money is currently sitting in a Citibank account getting $1,500 sign on bonus for a $200k deposit which I should receive in about 2-3 months. We put the kitchen remodel on hold due to COVID so I figured I might as well do something useful with the money.

I have not counted that cash as part of my portfolio or in any of the discussions because in my eyes that money is spoken for and already spent. If anyone is actually keeping track of the dollars. I know I am. If you add it all up, I will not be able to pay off the mortgage (~$180k) and buy the car and do the remodel and still stay above $3million which is my target number. Current portfolio as of Friday $3.1 million. I can do 2 of the 3 but not all 3 today. I figure as long as I continue to work and the market stays flat from today I should be able to accomplish all three within 6-10 months. I am doing the car research now so that when the cash is available I can buy. Worst case scenario is that I find the perfect car for me and I sell some bonds from the taxable account and put myself slightly below $3 million. I would prefer not to do that. The other worst case scenario is another market drop. I would then hold off on the car until I am back above $3 million + car purchase. I would also hold off on paying down the mortgage and divert cash back into the market. Due to COVID our expenses for the year are well below the $100k-$120k average for the past few years.

Regarding the car which is actually the point of this whole thread. I am looking at my calendar and want something where I have some free time to drive the car around and enjoy myself. I have a block of free time towards the end of June and will try and arrange to rent something. I want to start on the lower end and work my way up. I see opportunities to rent relatively easily a few different Porsches that are manual, an F430 but it is automatic, Lotus Evora 400, C7 Z06, MP4-12C, and an R8 V10. I can also rent some more expensive variants like the Avantador, but that is outside my price range so I wont bother. I guess I should start there and try and get a feel for these cars. This is going to be a long process since I won't be able to try them all out at once. I figure maybe 1-2 days each. I plan to provide updates to this thread as I do my research.

Thank you everyone for your posts.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

azanon wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:44 am
azanon wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:03 pm

I have every bit of confidence Scotty would disagree with you.
I have every bit of confidence we would disagree about most things :mrgreen: Frankly, I find that guy's popularity baffling.

As far as Nissan is concerned. Yeah, I wouldn't recommend someone go out and buy a Sentra. It's a troubled company that has been making some seriously uninspiring cars for a long time now. But the GTR is really its own separate thing and has almost nothing to do with the more pedestrian cars sold by the company.
I'll admit I was just the messenger, and that was my best guess at what he'd say if asked. Scotty (for better or worse) takes a very strong, brand-centric view of cars, meaning if he thinks there's a major issue with a car company, he wouldn't trust anything produced by them, from Sentra, all the way up to GTR. Now I'm not saying whether he's right or wrong to do that, but just saying I doubt he'd give the GTR a pass.

His claim is (now) 52 years of experience fixing cars gives him the right to be knowledgeable about such things. Whether that's a good reason or not, is anyone's opinion.
You can find very experienced mechanics who are pro or con on just about any brand. Scotty is just a particularly opinionated one one. Being brand-centric makes less and less sense as car brands have become increasingly global and components are increasingly shared between manufacturers. If you are buying a new Toyota Supra, you should be looking to BMW reliability, because it's a BMW in all but aesthetic features. As for the GTR, it's made in a different plant with VERY different componentry than any other Nissan. The GTR has about as much in common with a Sentra as a Honda does other than perhaps minor items like switchgear.
Couple of things - false analogy on the Toyota (BMW) Supra. That actually is a BMW with a Toyota label, and Scotty enjoys pointing that out.

We just have to disagree on the association with GTR with Nissan (you're implying that there's effectively no association, and I'm saying it's clearly otherwise). I'm not an expert on that particular car, so I did take a minute or so to verify that the GTR is actually a bonafide Nissan, and not just a rebranded car actually built by some other company other than Nissan such as the new Toyota Supra you brought up. Also, the assembly (meaning who's doing it/where its being done) matters more than the origin of the parts, and if there are operational issues with a given company, the fact that they're building an exotic car won't erase those problems...... in my opinion. To reiterate, we disagree on this, and I'm cool with that.
It's a bona-fide Nissan, but it is assembled on a separate line that does nothing but GTRs, has hand-assembled motors, and shares very little with any other Nissan mechanically. A quick article about the workers who make them- it's not the regular assembly line workers: https://reports.nissan-global.com/EN/?p=10948

In any event, while the GTR is an interesting car, I wouldn't really recommend it to OP. The design was cutting edge for the time, but the GTR came out over 12 years ago, and has only received small updates since then. If I were going to do a GTR, I'd do an R32 (early 1990s), but that's only a $30k proposition.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Just for grins throw in a test drive of an Alfa Romeo 4C spider. I think they are beautiful and fun to drive.
Don't do something, just stand there!
azanon

Post by azanon »

alfaspider wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:58 am
azanon wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:44 am

In any event, while the GTR is an interesting car, I wouldn't really recommend it to OP. The design was cutting edge for the time, but the GTR came out over 12 years ago, and has only received small updates since then. If I were going to do a GTR, I'd do an R32 (early 1990s), but that's only a $30k proposition.
We agree there, which is (another) reason why if I were buying a more affordable sports car, I wouldn't look at the Z either. I didn't look up the exact year of the last 370Z design, but I did watch a youtube review on it not long ago and, wow, that car is dated inside. Very dated.... If the GTR's in the same shape, yeah definitely look at something newer IMO.
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

1979 Ford F-150. If it was good enough for Sam Walton it is good enough for you.

:happy
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

ElBarto wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:52 am There was a question on what the wife thinks and what has or will get that is worth $200k

She thinks spending so much money on a car is a waste because she would be afraid to drive it. But, she supports my decision as long as I do the research and not just buy on a whim. I have an amazing wife. As for what she is getting? I don't know if this counts or not, but she has been requesting a remodel and I have allocated $150k for it a few years back. We have spent about $65k of it so far and she has the big walk in closet and bathroom she really wanted. She sat with the designer and planned it out herself with designer assistance. She is going to do the same with our kitchen. That money as well as my mortgage payoff money is currently sitting in a Citibank account getting $1,500 sign on bonus for a $200k deposit which I should receive in about 2-3 months. We put the kitchen remodel on hold due to COVID so I figured I might as well do something useful with the money.

I have not counted that cash as part of my portfolio or in any of the discussions because in my eyes that money is spoken for and already spent. If anyone is actually keeping track of the dollars. I know I am. If you add it all up, I will not be able to pay off the mortgage (~$180k) and buy the car and do the remodel and still stay above $3million which is my target number. Current portfolio as of Friday $3.1 million. I can do 2 of the 3 but not all 3 today. I figure as long as I continue to work and the market stays flat from today I should be able to accomplish all three within 6-10 months. I am doing the car research now so that when the cash is available I can buy. Worst case scenario is that I find the perfect car for me and I sell some bonds from the taxable account and put myself slightly below $3 million. I would prefer not to do that. The other worst case scenario is another market drop. I would then hold off on the car until I am back above $3 million + car purchase. I would also hold off on paying down the mortgage and divert cash back into the market. Due to COVID our expenses for the year are well below the $100k-$120k average for the past few years.

Regarding the car which is actually the point of this whole thread. I am looking at my calendar and want something where I have some free time to drive the car around and enjoy myself. I have a block of free time towards the end of June and will try and arrange to rent something. I want to start on the lower end and work my way up. I see opportunities to rent relatively easily a few different Porsches that are manual, an F430 but it is automatic, Lotus Evora 400, C7 Z06, MP4-12C, and an R8 V10. I can also rent some more expensive variants like the Avantador, but that is outside my price range so I wont bother. I guess I should start there and try and get a feel for these cars. This is going to be a long process since I won't be able to try them all out at once. I figure maybe 1-2 days each. I plan to provide updates to this thread as I do my research.

A couple of thoughts...
IMHO - while you do not owe strangers on the internet any justifications for areas where you did not request help I believe you are well above any expectations of supplying those answers with both detail and quality within these posts, one example is here...
"She thinks spending so much money on a car is a waste because she would be afraid to drive it. But, she supports my decision as long as I do the research and not just buy on a whim. I have an amazing wife. As for what she is getting? I don't know if this counts or not, but she has been requesting a remodel and I have allocated $150k for it a few years back."

There will always be folks that need/want to hold onto their money at various times or even at all times rather than choose to spend it - its just the way it is.

"If you add it all up, I will not be able to pay off the mortgage (~$180k) and buy the car and do the remodel and still stay above $3million which is my target number."
Again FWIW - while your home remodeling will not likely get near yielding a 100% return on value it will very likely yield some reasonable return , say 50% if you like. While your $150 car will not likely rise in value over a few years it will very likely continue to have an asset value way above zero. So if you purchase 'well' the car will very likely have a value above 50% and likely above 75% after a few years.
Topic Author
ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

smitcat wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:43 am
ElBarto wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:52 am There was a question on what the wife thinks and what has or will get that is worth $200k

A couple of thoughts...
IMHO - while you do not owe strangers on the internet any justifications for areas where you did not request help I believe you are well above any expectations of supplying those answers with both detail and quality within these posts, one example is here...
"She thinks spending so much money on a car is a waste because she would be afraid to drive it. But, she supports my decision as long as I do the research and not just buy on a whim. I have an amazing wife. As for what she is getting? I don't know if this counts or not, but she has been requesting a remodel and I have allocated $150k for it a few years back."

There will always be folks that need/want to hold onto their money at various times or even at all times rather than choose to spend it - its just the way it is.

"If you add it all up, I will not be able to pay off the mortgage (~$180k) and buy the car and do the remodel and still stay above $3million which is my target number."
Again FWIW - while your home remodeling will not likely get near yielding a 100% return on value it will very likely yield some reasonable return , say 50% if you like. While your $150 car will not likely rise in value over a few years it will very likely continue to have an asset value way above zero. So if you purchase 'well' the car will very likely have a value above 50% and likely above 75% after a few years.
I never really take the value of my home as part of my investments. I realize that it has a value and if I move or when calculating property tax there are real life implications, but on a day to day basis I figure it is an expense. So yeah, the bathroom remodel likely increased the value of our home as will our kitchen remodel, yet those values are meaningless in our day to day lives and our yearly expenses. Regarding the car, although getting a small amount of depreciation would be nice, appreciation would obviously be better, but to be realistic I just assume a 50% decline in value over 3 years like most other cars. Who knows, maybe I will get lucky.

Regarding other parts of my/our lives that others have questioned, I guess I don't mind answering them as I think no one can really figure out who I really am in real life. The only posts that bothered me somewhat where from a few people that judged me and my character.
cogito

Post by cogito »

OP, ignore the commenters insinuating you must conform to their personal attitudes on marriage, hobbies, the definition of fun, how frugal you must or must not be with your millions of dollars, etc. Not what you asked about, totally irrelevant to your question, and totally out of line as well. Telling someone with 3 million net worth and a high paying job that he can't/shouldn't buy a sports car, unless his wife gets a check cut as well... what in the world. :?

I second all the suggestions to rent as much as you can in the 50k-250k range to get a feel for what you like and what you'll get for your money.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Back in 2013, I did an exotic car tour where we drove 6 "exotics" on mountain roads all day. I was surprised at what I liked and didn't like. I found that engine note was surprisingly important to me, and that pure acceleration was probably 2nd. The Lamborghini LP560-4 was my favorite for that reason, and the GT-R was second. The Maserati Granturismo was a surprise favorite as well because of the awesome engine note. My least favorite was the Lotus Elise. I know people love those cars, but the Elise was just not for me.

This is just a longwinded way of saying that I agree with the suggestion to drive as many cars in this price range as you can before purchasing. Doing this "research" will be half the fun!
Enzo IX

Post by Enzo IX »

Jumping in late, but in the range you are looking at, my taste would be Porsche 991 turbo s, Porsche 991 gt3 rs, Porsche 991.2 gt3, Ferrari 458, Ferrari 488.

Strictly on the doubletake factor, good and bad, the Ferrari 458 is hard to beat. You just don't see very many of them where I live. The sound of a N/A Ferrari at 9000 rpm is a thrill. Styling is subjective but I think of the Pinnifarina designed Ferraris as art. Make sure you get a Ferrari powertrain warranty if you go that route, if you have a catastrophic failure it will really ruin your experience. One good thing is the 458 is getting really close to the bottom of the depreciation curve and will with time slowly go up in price as long as you keep the mileage down.

One of my daily drivers is a used Porsche 991.1 carrera S, with the factory aerokit. Before the market crash, I was looking for a Porsche 991.2 gt3 rs, it is currently on hold until the recent crisis plays out. I just love that lizard green color. Also there is still depreciation on this model but again if you buy close to the bottom the depreciation hit won't be too bad.

Goodluck on your chase, that is actually the fun part.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

redmaw wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:52 am I didn't make it through all the replies, but after the requisite 911 and Tesla posts... My suggestions vary, but I'm not sure I hit the target price (I never shop to a price, I find what I want and then ask how much, it's cheaper that way)

I see you already have a rs4, it's going to be hard to find a car significantly more fun than that on the street, where performance is limited by how stupid you are willing to be on public streets, not really the car. So I think you need to decide what you want out of the car... Ultimate performance, great luxury, a special feel? For mostly road use performance become secondary for me, for track use it's all that matters. Since you didn't mention tracking the car, I'm going to say that's not where you are heading... This points me something like a jaguar f-type or Mercedes gt, nisssan gtr, zo6, maybe even a Bentley. If you want a track car, get a track car... A spec Miata or maybe a caterham or something like that. If you really will be doing a solid mix of both that 911 is probably best (do they still kill new drivers with snap oversteer?)

If it were me and my money I would get someone to build me a replica Shelby cobra. I think they can be had for 50k, but in the right specs m sure you can spend more, of course there is no dealer network for those.
"If it were me and my money I would get someone to build me a replica Shelby cobra. I think they can be had for 50k, but in the right specs m sure you can spend more, of course there is no dealer network for those."
Interesting - I found building my Cobra replica to be very rewarding in many ways. But in no terms would it compare to many of the cars that are being talked about in this thread. The more 'accurate' you would make the Cobra the less likely it would perform or be desirable for most folks.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

jrbdmb wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:33 am 1979 Ford F-150. If it was good enough for Sam Walton it is good enough for you.

:happy
Sam Walton was no fun.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I'm definitely a car guy, but would have trouble spending $200k on a second car. 4th or 5th car, absolutely. But if it's the sole alternative to my DD, I want something that I can really enjoy on a daily basis, take to work instead of the DD anytime I feel like it, etc. But if you try to do that with a "low-end" exotic, maintenance/repair cost and depreciation losses go through the roof immediately. I feel like cars in that class make more sense as pseudo garage-queens taken out on special occasions so the mileage stays low and you don't take as much of a bath when you move on to the next thing. Unless you have money to burn, of course. :p

So in that context, my choice would be slightly (but not massively) below your price range. Priorities would be something fun/engaging to drive, comfortable, with at least some reliability and practicality.

A clear contender here is the 718 Boxter Spyder or Cayman GT4. Manual only, with a NA version of the 4.0 flat-six from the 992 Turbo (without the turbo, obviously) in a mid-engined layout. That engine revs to a glorious 8,000rpm, and has one of the best exhaust notes of any car--ever. Front axle and brakes come right out of the 911 GT3. My choice here would be the Boxter Spyder, because I love convertibles, think the sculpted rear end looks better than the Cayman, and most importantly makes it even easier to listen to that wonderful exhaust. A well-equipped Spyder configured just the way I'd want it stickers right around $127k. Since it's a Porsche, it's relatively reliable and has modest maintenance needs compared to pretty much any exotic. Also very easy to find service. Now a 911 certainly fits in your price range as well, but unless you go all the way to the top of your range to a GT3 or Turbo, the top-tier 718 is probably a better driver's car. And doesn't have a back seat. :)

The Corvette ZR1 was also recommended upthread, and is another great option if you can find a C7 or wait for the C8. Relatively rare, amazing performance, and very comfortable even for longer trips. Also responds extremely well to modifications if 755hp isn't enough for you. :) Also one of the only 7-speed manual sports cars ever made (Porsche 911 being another). A 2019 runs about $110-120k used with low mileage. $145k or so sticker if you could find a new one.

Yes, neither of those is McLaren rare, and the base models of both are actually quite common. But they're still very special, and more importantly, something you can enjoy whenever you want without breaking the bank.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Enzo IX wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:32 pm Jumping in late, but in the range you are looking at, my taste would be Porsche 991 turbo s, Porsche 991 gt3 rs, Porsche 991.2 gt3, Ferrari 458, Ferrari 488.

Strictly on the doubletake factor, good and bad, the Ferrari 458 is hard to beat.
I'm kind of jaded, but Ferrari 488, 458, Lambo Hurricans, McLaren 570/650, Porsche GT3/Turbo are kind of a dime a dozen around here. You can go to cars and coffee and literally see a half a dozen lined up in a row. Great cars, but you would need something a lot more rare to make me do a double take.

By contrast, something like a Superlight SL-C or Noble M400, Arel Atom is quite a bit cheaper, but one would certainly get my attention because they are extraordinarily rare to see on the road.
bgf

Post by bgf »

caffeperfavore wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:54 pm The Audi RS6 Avant is finally coming to the US. Run with the supercars on your way to get bagels, have space to bring more bagels home.

This is what I would get, but I'm weird.
I wish I had more 💰
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

alfaspider wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:07 pmI'm kind of jaded, but Ferrari 488, 458, Lambo Hurricans, McLaren 570/650, Porsche GT3/Turbo are kind of a dime a dozen around here. You can go to cars and coffee and literally see a half a dozen lined up in a row. Great cars, but you would need something a lot more rare to make me do a double take.

By contrast, something like a Superlight SL-C or Noble M400, Arel Atom is quite a bit cheaper, but one would certainly get my attention because they are extraordinarily rare to see on the road.
At a cars and coffee, a chrome bumper Alfa Spider is alot more interesting than 99.99% of new cars.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

bgf wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:25 pm
caffeperfavore wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:54 pm The Audi RS6 Avant is finally coming to the US. Run with the supercars on your way to get bagels, have space to bring more bagels home.

I wish I had more 💰
Station wagons are cool again?
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

MMiroir wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:31 pm
alfaspider wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:07 pmI'm kind of jaded, but Ferrari 488, 458, Lambo Hurricans, McLaren 570/650, Porsche GT3/Turbo are kind of a dime a dozen around here. You can go to cars and coffee and literally see a half a dozen lined up in a row. Great cars, but you would need something a lot more rare to make me do a double take.

At a cars and coffee, a chrome bumper Alfa Spider is alot more interesting than 99.99% of new cars.
Sadly, mine is not one of the chrome bumper ones. But it is extremely heavily modified, with a lot of custom one-off parts, so it's very much a one of one.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

mak1277 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:43 pm
They've been cool ever since the soccer parents moved on to minivans and SUVs- late 80s or so.
edge

Post by edge »

Yes, the 911 still has snap oversteer when pushed past its limits. Those limits themselves are extreme and can only be reached when driving hyper-aggressively on track. The problem is that the grip of the top line porsche cars is so powerful...until it suddenly isn't. What was a well-balanced car a millisecond before now becomes extremely back end heavy and the driver is aware of the full weight of the engine as it starts to get squirrely. It can be very disconcerting and countersteering out of it is more challenging than more balanced front or back mid-engine cars e.g. a BMW with 50:50 weight distribution.

It is always critical to know the limit of the car but even more so with the 911. But frankly, many exotics get panicky/manic when pushed towards the limit (and some even before that).

But hey, I would take a Porsche over an understeering S/RS Audi any day. Trying to drag an RS3 around a corner is horrific. It just won't turn.
redmaw wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:52 am I didn't make it through all the replies, but after the requisite 911 and Tesla posts... My suggestions vary, but I'm not sure I hit the target price (I never shop to a price, I find what I want and then ask how much, it's cheaper that way)

Kagord

Post by Kagord »

alfaspider wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:12 pm
They've been cool ever since the soccer parents moved on to minivans and SUVs- late 80s or so.
Ah, the good ole days with the Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon with that rumble seat.
bgf

Post by bgf »

bgf wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:25 pm

I wish I had more 💰
Probably not. Though that looks more like a 'stretch coupe' or panamera than grandpas wagon.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
redmaw

Post by redmaw »

smitcat wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:40 pm

"If it were me and my money I would get someone to build me a replica Shelby cobra. I think they can be had for 50k, but in the right specs m sure you can spend more, of course there is no dealer network for those."
Interesting - I found building my Cobra replica to be very rewarding in many ways. But in no terms would it compare to many of the cars that are being talked about in this thread. The more 'accurate' you would make the Cobra the less likely it would perform or be desirable for most folks.
To be clear, when I say replica I simply mean not an original, not trying to actually replicate one. I would make it as modern as possible in other regards. It may not keep up with some of the other suggestions on the track, but for a bagel getter... More than enough.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

mak1277 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:43 pm Station wagons are cool again?
If you have to ask, you’re not cool. :P

But the answer is yes.
reason-logic

Post by reason-logic »

Maybach. Most comfortable car to drive in that price range.
reason-logic

Post by reason-logic »

Maybach. Most comfortable car to drive in that price range.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:57 pm
BuckyBadger wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:26 pm Still wondering how the wife is spending her $200k?
Unless they have the same passion, that's an excellent point: it's actually a $300-$400k expense we're looking at here. That might change some of the responses.

I've never ran out and purchased something of equal value as something my wife buys (and vice versa).
We don't keep a tally sheet of who buys what, and what partner is "owned" something.
Yes, that's how all marriages work, at least where partners consider themselves somewhat equal. That's why the caveat about them both having the same passion - if they do, and the "toy" is for both of them, that's different. Just a guess but I don't think the OP is going to be content sitting in the passenger seat on those bagel runs.

That is one of the funnier comments here.
So if somebodies spouse has a surgery on the other's health insurance, should the second spouse put on the tally at the discounted insurance price, no-insurance price?
What about something like educational loans? if one of them has 30k$ to pay and the other 80k$, you put the 50k$ to the first? If the first spouse wants to buy a sports car 20 years later, what is the compounding rate of the 50k$?
What about about income differences? Equality means both directions of the money, in and out, are equal, right?
I have many other questions about how to account for all this, please advise.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:50 pm I'm definitely a car guy, but would have trouble spending $200k on a second car. 4th or 5th car, absolutely. But if it's the sole alternative to my DD, I want something that I can really enjoy on a daily basis, take to work instead of the DD anytime I feel like it, etc. But if you try to do that with a "low-end" exotic, maintenance/repair cost and depreciation losses go through the roof immediately. I feel like cars in that class make more sense as pseudo garage-queens taken out on special occasions so the mileage stays low and you don't take as much of a bath when you move on to the next thing. Unless you have money to burn, of course. :p
Another reason the OP should lease, not buy.

Odds are OP will get bored anyway...why not "buy" the option to just hand it in after the lease term and get something different or a newer version (back under warranty) if not bored with it?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

reason-logic wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:45 pm Maybach. Most comfortable car to drive in that price range.
Reading comprehension is so terrible on this board. The title of the thread literally says "fun car", and the OP states "I have always wanted a fancy sports car". In a subsequent post, he explicitly said he does NOT want a back seat.

So while your statement is true with no context whatsoever, a 2.7 ton luxo-barge with the wheelbase of a pickup truck and a ginormous back seat with massaging recliners is pretty much the antithesis of a "fun fancy sports car with no backseat" and therefore has absolutely no business in this thread.
Last edited by lazydavid on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ad2007

Post by ad2007 »

Why are you spending that much on a hi-perf car to do bagel runs? You're kidding right? And then tracking a DD S4? The S4 is heavy and not that fast unless you make serious mods, which will then make it a horrible DD.

With that budget, you could get a big comfy whatever for the commute (and bagel runs) that can tow and then get a dedicated track car. Track days will be way less stressful with spare parts, wheels/tires ect. And not worrying about getting your DD home ready for work on Monday if something serious breaks.

Trust me, you're not going to want to track the S4 once you have a $250K "fun" car. I don't know of any car guy who don't push their cars to the limit.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

reason-logic wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:45 pm Maybach. Most comfortable car to drive in that price range.
A Maybach is for being driven in, not for driving yourself.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

ad2007 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:50 am Why are you spending that much on a hi-perf car to do bagel runs? You're kidding right? And then tracking a DD S4? The S4 is heavy and not that fast unless you make serious mods, which will then make it a horrible DD.

With that budget, you could get a big comfy whatever for the commute (and bagel runs) that can tow and then get a dedicated track car. Track days will be way less stressful with spare parts, wheels/tires ect. And not worrying about getting your DD home ready for work on Monday if something serious breaks.

Trust me, you're not going to want to track the S4 once you have a $250K "fun" car. I don't know of any car guy who don't push their cars to the limit.
I would say their are lots of "car guys" who don't push their cars to the limit, because they're about restoring cars and just taking them out for a slow-paced Sunday drive. High performance is important to only a subset of "car guys" - there are other ways to enjoy an interest in cars.
spitty

Post by spitty »

I agree with you, lazydavid, there are always snarky comments in these "luxury" threads by our extra frugal brethren.

I'd go with a 911 if you're planning to keep it longer term--absolutely bullet proof engine and great fun. For 1-2 people it's actually pretty roomy for trips and golf clubs actually fit with the rear seats folded down. Oil/filter changes are easier than on your riding mower. A few thoughts:

1. After 2-3 years it's just another car and you'll have a large chunk of cash invested in it...if you want to sell you'll take at least some depreciation hit and selling market will be limited for a high dollar vehicle besides. So leasing is a good consideration for your first.

2. Insurance will be high, at least $100/month. Maintenance at dealers is high; spark plug change at 40k is $12-1500 for example.

3. You'll be overly protective of any cool car you get. How are road conditions where you'll be mostly driving? Potholes are hell on these low profile tires. You'll be paranoid about curb rash and what door dinger will park next to you and will they dent your car and just leave? How will the gen pop in your locale accept a car that sticks out? Will they be jealous and disrespectful and make your driving less enjoyable?
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

redmaw wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:54 pm
smitcat wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:40 pm

To be clear, when I say replica I simply mean not an original, not trying to actually replicate one. I would make it as modern as possible in other regards. It may not keep up with some of the other suggestions on the track, but for a bagel getter... More than enough.
Very few of the replicas are really that modern - yes a dual master cylinder , modern engine, maybe fuel injection and even AC but they are mostly fairly 'crude' for the most part. When we did this we had to have a longer wheelbase (too tall for the 90") , independent rear suspension, 4 wheel discs, PS, PB, and a whole host of performance products. But it was still mostly a rag top with little protection from the elements etc.
This is just the nature of the beast.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:10 am
Reading comprehension is so terrible on this board. The title of the thread literally says "fun car", and the OP states "I have always wanted a fancy sports car". In a subsequent post, he explicitly said he does NOT want a back seat.

So while your statement is true with no context whatsoever, a 2.7 ton luxo-barge with the wheelbase of a pickup truck and a ginormous back seat with massaging recliners is pretty much the antithesis of a "fun fancy sports car with no backseat" and therefore has absolutely no business in this thread.
+1 - reading comprehension , well put.
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

ad2007 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:50 amWhy are you spending that much on a hi-perf car to do bagel runs? You're kidding right?
Among certain car enthusiasts, using a performance car for a bagel run is a meme.
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

I have been eyeing Porsche Taycan. All electric muscle with 300 mile radius. It's a beautiful machine.
RennBaer

Post by RennBaer »

I will second the person who recommended 718 Spyder. It's a true sports car that any driving enthusiast would appreciate. I would be surprised if anyone didn't want one after a test drive. Great looks, great handling, great sound, and naturally aspirated at a reasonable price. What's not to like?
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Starfish wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:35 am

I've never ran out and purchased something of equal value as something my wife buys (and vice versa).
We don't keep a tally sheet of who buys what, and what partner is "owned" something.
Yes, that's how all marriages work, at least where partners consider themselves somewhat equal. That's why the caveat about them both having the same passion - if they do, and the "toy" is for both of them, that's different. Just a guess but I don't think the OP is going to be content sitting in the passenger seat on those bagel runs.

So if somebodies spouse has a surgery on the other's health insurance, should the second spouse put on the tally at the discounted insurance price, no-insurance price?
What about something like educational loans? if one of them has 30k$ to pay and the other 80k$, you put the 50k$ to the first? If the first spouse wants to buy a sports car 20 years later, what is the compounding rate of the 50k$?
What about about income differences? Equality means both directions of the money, in and out, are equal, right?
I think the hypothetical intent of the comment goes this way:

Husband: I'm spending 200k on a car.
Wife: Ok.
Wife (months later): I'd like to spend 200k on a home gym and sauna.
Husband (posting on advice board): So I spent 6% of our net worth on a car, and now My wife is asking if we can spend another 6%. I would like to say no because I wasn't expecting to spend 12% of our investment portfolio inside of a year. Any advice?

This isn't directed at the OP, it's exploring the what if.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

investingdad wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:16 am

Husband (posting on advice board): So I spent 6% of our net worth on a car, and now My wife is asking if we can spend another 6%. I would like to say no because I wasn't expecting to spend 12% of our investment portfolio inside of a year. Any advice?

"This isn't directed at the OP, it's exploring the what if."
For us it is simple - we always wanted to do things on our list. So when we bought the boat or the car or the home renovation it was all part of a larger plan.
Of course it is great to have planned and not have had any issues over the years ...as we are now older than both the OP and yourself.

Another 'what if' question - What are you and your wife's plan for spending your $3 million saved funds?
Will they be utilized early when you are younger or saved for some other plan? Which one of you is the person who mostly decides what happens to these funds and what do you do if you do not agree?
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

investingdad wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:16 am

I just think it's fairly silly to assume the husband and wife didn't/don't have some sort of conversation along these lines before anyone spends 6% of their net worth.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

ncbill wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:24 am
lazydavid wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:50 pm I'm definitely a car guy, but would have trouble spending $200k on a second car. 4th or 5th car, absolutely. But if it's the sole alternative to my DD, I want something that I can really enjoy on a daily basis, take to work instead of the DD anytime I feel like it, etc. But if you try to do that with a "low-end" exotic, maintenance/repair cost and depreciation losses go through the roof immediately. I feel like cars in that class make more sense as pseudo garage-queens taken out on special occasions so the mileage stays low and you don't take as much of a bath when you move on to the next thing. Unless you have money to burn, of course. :p
Another reason the OP should lease, not buy.

Odds are OP will get bored anyway...why not "buy" the option to just hand it in after the lease term and get something different or a newer version (back under warranty) if not bored with it?
Leasing an exotic is one of the worst things you can do. Rates are not favorable and mileage is usually extremely limited, like 2500 miles/year on most leases, and you get to pay them $100k or so to drive the car for 3 years and 7500 miles. There is no way something like a Ferrari 458 would depreciate anywhere near that much in 3 years.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

Is this still on, given recent and current declines in the market?
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

EddyB wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:40 pm Is this still on, given recent and current declines in the market?
There are typically more opportunities to purchase expensive cars, boats, RV's and aircraft when markets decline.
researcher

Post by researcher »

investingdad wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:16 am I think the hypothetical intent of the comment goes this way:
This clearly isn't some spur of the moment decision where the OP rushes out and buys a $150K (hence the reason he posted here).
It is ridiculous to form a "hypothetical intent" that the OP and his wife didn't have these conversations before making such a purchase.

In fact, the OP has already stated...
she has been requesting a remodel and allocated $150k for it a few years back. We have spent about $65k of it so far...That money as well as my mortgage payoff money is currently sitting in a Citibank account...I have not counted that cash as part of my portfolio.

As someone else asked, since you think it's crazy for the OP to buy this car, what are your plans for the $3M+ you've saved up?
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Since you are considering the Ferrari F430, thought you may enjoy this short film where Frank Stephenson (the designer) came up with the design and shows how he sketched out the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AscuVYThvI