What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
investingdad

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by investingdad »

EddyB wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:44 am
investingdad wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:14 am
researcher wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:33 am
investingdad wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:24 pm Folks that are calling $3 million ... a multimillionaire type situation that can easily drop 200k on a car are not even close, in my opinion.

But 200k car territory? Not even close.
Seriously???
A "multimillionaire type situation" is EXACTLY what the OP is in!!!

I get it. You want to hoard your money for some undefined purpose and some undefined time period (that may never come).

The OP is a multimillionaire. They want to get some enjoyment out of it now, rather than being buried with it.
I see absolutely no problem with the OP's plans.

I haven't seen you explain what exactly you think the problem is, or what the OP should be doing with this money.
Should he just continue to watch it accumulate, while being scared to do anything with it?
I suspect there is a misconception about what type of lifestyle one can afford when trying to make $3 million pay for 45 years of retirement.
You and Tomato have pushed the Bogleheads brand of disdain for early retirement to a new extreme! The OP has enough money to go a long way toward supporting his current lifestyle and plans to continue to make probably twice as much as that....

I'm commenting from a position of familiarity; and I just watched high 6 figures disappear from our portfolio over the course of 2 weeks (though it has quickly recovered). That can happen again. And next time maybe not a quick recovery.

It's not my job to tell the OP what he should spend his money on. My point was that blowing 6.5% of his $3 million portfolio on a car when said portfolio just gyrated through a 20% decline, and he's using a 4% withdrawal assumption to cover 120k expenses with no mention of taxes....well, I hope it all works out ok.

Lots of people had it figured out in 2000, and then again in 2007 when they dropped 6x household income on a home mortgage.

I declined to participate in that foolishness and it served us well.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

investingdad wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:24 pm Folks that are calling $3 million ... a multimillionaire type situation that can easily drop 200k on a car are not even close, in my opinion.

Seriously???

I get it. You want to hoard your money for some undefined purpose and some undefined time period (that may never come).

The OP is a multimillionaire. They want to get some enjoyment out of it now, rather than being buried with it.

I haven't seen you explain what exactly you think the problem is, or what the OP should be doing with this money.
Should he just continue to watch it accumulate, while being scared to do anything with it?
I suspect there is a misconception about what type of lifestyle one can afford when trying to make $3 million pay for 45 years of retirement.
This is not a post that asks - "Can I afford this car". There are plenty pf posts like that if there is a desire to lend opinions about how someone else should allocate of spend their money.
This post clearly requests help in selecting a choice of a fairly expensive car - can we help him with that?
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

investingdad wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:08 pm

Seriously???

You and Tomato have pushed the Bogleheads brand of disdain for early retirement to a new extreme! The OP has enough money to go a long way toward supporting his current lifestyle and plans to continue to make probably twice as much as that....

I'm commenting from a position of familiarity; and I just watched high 6 figures disappear from our portfolio over the course of 2 weeks (though it has quickly recovered). That can happen again. And next time maybe not a quick recovery.

It's not my job to tell the OP what he should spend his money on. My point was that blowing 6.5% of his $3 million portfolio on a car when said portfolio just gyrated through a 20% decline, and he's using a 4% withdrawal assumption to cover 120k expenses with no mention of taxes....well, I hope it all works out ok.

Lots of people had it figured out in 2000, and then again in 2007 when they dropped 6x household income on a home mortgage.

"My point was that blowing 6.5% of his $3 million portfolio on a car"
What are your thoughts on the cost of a well selected expensive car over 3 or 5 years?
How do you calculate that the car will 'cost' $195K after those years?
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

investingdad wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:08 pm

Seriously???

He's continuing to work, so he's not assuming any withdrawal to cover his expenses.... Listen, personally, with a similar age, similar portfolio plus investment real estate and a lot more personal real estate equity, and a substantially higher income, there's no way I'd spend that amount on a car, I just find the way the feedback includes a progression of the criticisms of FIRE proponents to be curious, and extreme.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

Still wondering how the wife is spending her $200k?
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I'm going to re-iterate the Nissan GT-R with an Alpha kit. All the cars everyone is listing aren't fun.

I mean, you're telling me a 911 Turbo is fun, seriously, come on.

This is the definition of fun, and please note, it's a GT-R:
https://youtu.be/gOfM3-x3kGA?t=139
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

BuckyBadger wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:26 pm Still wondering how the wife is spending her $200k?
That is an interesting question. :)
MFD

Post by MFD »

Kagord wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:31 pm I'm going to re-iterate the Nissan GT-R with an Alpha kit. All the cars everyone is listing aren't fun.

Honestly I don't think anyone in this thread is interested in a 6 second GT-R. Definitely not for impressing the neighbors while getting bagels on a Sunday morning. I guess people have different ideas of fun, but a car like this seems like more fun for the mechanic. "ended up on their THIRD motor before they made a pass that cracked them into the 6 second territory!"
azanon

Post by azanon »

Acura NSX. Done.

Saw someone suggesting a Nissan. I'd recommend watching a few Scotty Kilmer videos on youtube and getting his thoughts on Nissan before doing that. (spoiler alert: they aren't positive comments, to make an understatement).
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Kagord wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:31 pm I'm going to re-iterate the Nissan GT-R with an Alpha kit. All the cars everyone is listing aren't fun.

I don't doubt that doing a 6 second pass is quite the rush, but I'd much rather have a driving experience that lasts a bit longer. Besides, that's a race car, which is a whole different budget category than a street car. For race cars, it's more about parts/consumables/support/entries/etc.- the purchase price is just beginning.

If I were going to buy/build a really fast drag car like that, I'd do actual an dragster rather than turning a street car into a drag car - much cheaper and easier.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

azanon wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:56 pm Acura NSX. Done.

Saw someone suggesting a Nissan. I'd recommend watching a few Scotty Kilmer videos on youtube and getting his thoughts on Nissan before doing that. (spoiler alert: they aren't positive comments, to make an understatement).
Scotty Kilmer's comments about Nissan are about as relevant to the GTR as a discussion on horseshoes.
azanon

Post by azanon »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:58 pm

Scotty Kilmer's comments about Nissan are about as relevant to the GTR as a discussion on horseshoes.
I have every bit of confidence Scotty would disagree with you.
ValuationsMatter

Post by ValuationsMatter »

Dude... People can tell you what passion cars are in your price range, but they can't tell you what your passion is. "Fun" is different for each person. Go buy what you want. Consider older cars, or maybe the very car that was on your wall, since prices on cars like those don't depreciate, but rather are stable or might appreciate. But put passion first, this time.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

azanon wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:03 pm

I have every bit of confidence we would disagree about most things :mrgreen: Frankly, I find that guy's popularity baffling.

As far as Nissan is concerned. Yeah, I wouldn't recommend someone go out and buy a Sentra. It's a troubled company that has been making some seriously uninspiring cars for a long time now. But the GTR is really its own separate thing and has almost nothing to do with the more pedestrian cars sold by the company.
Last edited by alfaspider on Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

After reading the thread, it is pretty clear that the OP can comfortably afford the car. When I was the OP's age, I was in a similar position and bought a newish Italian sports car. The car only lasted for only six months before we fortunately find someone to take it off our hands at a minimal loss. The reason for selling wasn't related to the car, but that it complicated raising our kids in a fiscally responsible manner.

I have always remembered the actions of a college friend whose wealthy father passed away unexpectedly. His family lived in a big house and he always seemed to have plenty of spending money. When he received a $120,000 inheritance/insurance settlement, and he promptly used those funds to buy a new $90,000 Porsche 928 that he parked in front of his fraternity house. We wanted to raise our kids not to be spendthrifts, but to be reasonably prudent with their money. Since it is difficult to tell your kid that you are not buying them a $150 pair of Uggs or the newest, most expensive iPhone when Daddy drives an Italian sports car that ends in an "i", it had to go.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

investingdad wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:42 pm
BuckyBadger wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:26 pm Still wondering how the wife is spending her $200k?
Unless they have the same passion (and share the driving), that's an excellent point: it's actually a $300-$400k expense we're looking at here. That might change some of the responses.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:11 pm

I have every bit of confidence we would disagree about most things :mrgreen: Frankly, I find that guy's popularity baffling.

As far as Nissan is concerned. Yeah, I wouldn't recommend someone go out and buy a Sentra. It's a troubled company that has been making some seriously uninspiring cars for a long time now. But the GTR is really its own separate thing and has almost nothing to do with the more pedestrian cars sold by the company.
While I do not agree that any GT-R is fun, I can say that your username is quite a fun car. Maybe not a Ferarri, but an Alfa has one hellofa lot of personality. Would much rather have a 4C Spider than a GT-R.
Don't do something, just stand there!
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

ValuationsMatter wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:08 pm Dude... People can tell you what passion cars are in your price range, but they can't tell you what your passion is. "Fun" is different for each person. Go buy what you want. Consider older cars, or maybe the very car that was on your wall, since prices on cars like those don't depreciate, but rather are stable or might appreciate. But put passion first, this time.
Most people who have driven a Countach seem to agree it's a "don't meet your heroes" sort of experience. It's more about looking than driving. Besides, they are outside of the price range in good condition ($350k-ish) .
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Afty wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:36 am Are there car clubs for exotics the way there are for Porsche (PCA) and BMW (BMW CCA)?
Yes there are. PCA, requires you own a Porsche. BMW CCA does not require any BMW ownership. I was the local chapter VP and activities director for a year and show director for Oktoberfest that year (national event annually). My BMW? Well, a 91 Honda CRX-Si. I won the non-BMW class autocross in that car for Oktoberfest.

Other clubs exist that allow exotics, but I'm not really aware of exotic-only clubs. I'm mostly familiar with the Northeast. For exotics, SCDA is typically the club that draws the most. I instructed for them on the track and to have 25 Lotus Elises show up in 2005 was pretty rare. They did at a Lime Rock event. Plenty of other exotics as well.

COM Sports Car Club is mainly a time trial club with probably NHMS being considered the home track. I instructed most with them and ran time trials with several of my cars (track records at NHIS and Lime Rock before the repave). They are quite agnostic on the type of car, but you'll see plenty of BMWs, Miatas (well, of course) and Subarus along with a few open wheel cars. We had a former NASCAR truck series pickup, which was blazingly fast and a formula Atlantic open wheel car that made one of the club hot shoes in a highly modified RUF Porsche look like a Ford Escort coming up the hill out of 3 at NHIS.

I think from the OP's posts, he's already done a number of track days with a modified (I assume BMW), so he can figure that out.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
researcher

Post by researcher »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:13 pm
Unless they have the same passion, that's an excellent point: it's actually a $300-$400k expense we're looking at here. That might change some of the responses.
An eye for an eye. A tooth for a tooth. Is that how your marriages work?

I've never ran out and purchased something of equal value as something my wife buys (and vice versa).
We don't keep a tally sheet of who buys what, and what partner is "owned" something.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Isn't the answer obvious?

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

researcher wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:39 pm
Unless they have the same passion, that's an excellent point: it's actually a $300-$400k expense we're looking at here. That might change some of the responses.

I've never ran out and purchased something of equal value as something my wife buys (and vice versa).
We don't keep a tally sheet of who buys what, and what partner is "owned" something.
My aunt used to have a marriage like that. She bought a motorcyle, he bought a car. She bought a horse, he built a man cave, etc. She is no longer married.
rm

Post by rm »

Have you thought about renting exotic cars when you want them. There are quite a few websites which allow you to rent for a week. Then you can just use when you want and also try out different cars.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Yes, that's how all marriages work, at least where partners consider themselves somewhat equal. That's why the caveat about them both having the same passion - if they do, and the "toy" is for both of them, that's different. Just a guess but I don't think the OP is going to be content sitting in the passenger seat on those bagel runs.
Last edited by tibbitts on Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Well this is quite the popular thread. I might have to bookmark this thread as a case study of the range of Bogleheads personalities.

I'm only part way through it, and it is fascinating, as long as I set aside my personal opinions about many of the posts, and simply reflect on what they suggest about individual differences.

That aside, I'm a little unclear the goal. It sounds like sporty but practical family sedan is already covered, so Tesla's, BMW M-series, and the like are not really what El Barto is seeking.

Do you intend to go to the track, and if so, what style of driving?

Will it be something you will drive fairly regularly and will want modest comfort and convenience and room for groceries mixed with performance, or do you want something solely focused on performance, even if it means extended drives could be physically uncomfortable, there is effectively no trunk space, and some of the larger speed bumps terrify you due to low clearance?

One more thing:

Budget and be mentally prepared for maintenance and insurance costs, especially if you even might use the dealer. It's already fairly well known here that the luxury brands can be surprisingly expensive to get serviced. It's significantly more expensive for exotics. A coworker was recently sharing the experience of a friend who I think he said owns an exotic car (I don't remember if is a Lamborghini or Ferrari). He was spending as much on upkeep as I spend on my mortgage.
stereotaxis

Post by stereotaxis »

First off, congratulations to the OP for reaching such a financial milepost!

There have been a lot of great suggestions. I think it is great that you are going to test drive and explore all your options. That should be a lot of fun. I would ignore the naysayers who say you should wait until you have more financial assets. I think you have plenty for what you are going to buy.

This will be your third car so you can drive it as often or as rarely as you wish. It can be a daily driver or a garage queen. I would suggest getting the car that appeals most to YOU. The main criteria when buying are an exotic car include: performance, appearance, rarity, reliability/dealer support, depreciation and usability (passenger comfort/cargo space). The importance of these criteria will likely change according to your stage in life.

One caveat is that no matter how much research you do, you won't really know how much you'll like the car until you've had it for a few months. I say this having owned multiple collectible cars. I currently have (among others) a 1st generation Audi R8 V10 spyder with a gated manual. I have also owned a Cayenne Turbo S, Mercedes AMG E55 and AMG R63. I still own and drive a Nissan Versa with a manual at least twice a week to avoid the trap of hedonic adaption.

Good luck in your search.
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

I second some people's opinions that this thread should focus back on a car recommendation. So many people seem to be projecting their own personalities, and insecurities into seemingly trying to convince him/her not to do this. Man, it's his money, let him to his thing. Either make a recommendation, or not.

My recommendation is still, to lease something, so that your allocated budget can go for a long time. At the same time, you can try many difference vehicles/brands. I feel that's a better experience than just sticking to one vehicle. Doing this also sticks to warranty periods so you don't get any nasty surprises.
researcher

Post by researcher »

smalliebigs wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:09 pm So many people seem to be projecting their own ...insecurities into seemingly trying to convince him/her not to do this. Man, it's his money, let him to his thing. Either make a recommendation, or not.
+100
Afty

Post by Afty »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:29 pm
Afty wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:36 am Are there car clubs for exotics the way there are for Porsche (PCA) and BMW (BMW CCA)?
Yes there are. PCA, requires you own a Porsche. BMW CCA does not require any BMW ownership. I was the local chapter VP and activities director for a year and show director for Oktoberfest that year (national event annually). My BMW? Well, a 91 Honda CRX-Si. I won the non-BMW class autocross in that car for Oktoberfest.

Other clubs exist that allow exotics, but I'm not really aware of exotic-only clubs. I'm mostly familiar with the Northeast. For exotics, SCDA is typically the club that draws the most. I instructed for them on the track and to have 25 Lotus Elises show up in 2005 was pretty rare. They did at a Lime Rock event. Plenty of other exotics as well.

COM Sports Car Club is mainly a time trial club with probably NHMS being considered the home track. I instructed most with them and ran time trials with several of my cars (track records at NHIS and Lime Rock before the repave). They are quite agnostic on the type of car, but you'll see plenty of BMWs, Miatas (well, of course) and Subarus along with a few open wheel cars. We had a former NASCAR truck series pickup, which was blazingly fast and a formula Atlantic open wheel car that made one of the club hot shoes in a highly modified RUF Porsche look like a Ford Escort coming up the hill out of 3 at NHIS.

I think from the OP's posts, he's already done a number of track days with a modified (I assume BMW), so he can figure that out.
Interesting, thanks for the detailed answer! I actually did my first track day many years ago with the COM Sports Car Club in my Nissan Altima. :)
Watty

Post by Watty »

ElBarto wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:04 pmWe currently have 2 cars in the stable, One is an SUV and the other a 4 door sports sedan......
On a more practical point.

Do you have a three car garage? Do you have a HOA rule about parking cars in the driveway?

If you do not have a good place to park it you might want to budget for adding another parking space for the new toy.

I am not a "car guy", I can understand if you are going to take a sports car on a track but I have never understood why people drive expensive sports cars in city traffic. A "sporty" car would be a lot better for that that then a true sports car.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

rm wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:53 pm Have you thought about renting exotic cars when you want them. There are quite a few websites which allow you to rent for a week. Then you can just use when you want and also try out different cars.
Those exotic car rental services are generally pretty awful. Milage, acceleration, and even geographic range are often tightly controlled. Prices are sky high for what you get. Many of the cars will be beat to hell and back examples (and often not current models). They are more for the poser who wants to show up to a club in a Lambo he can't actually afford than someone who really wants to get a feel for the exotic driving experience. Perhaps there are a few exceptions.
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

Afty wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:23 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:29 pm

Interesting, thanks for the detailed answer! I actually did my first track day many years ago with the COM Sports Car Club in my Nissan Altima. :)
In our neck of the woods, the car club have moved away from sponsoring track days. Our local Porsche and Lotus clubs are the only one's that have events on the calendar as the BMW, Audi, Alfa, Ford, etc clubs stopped doing them. Now the local tracks have their own clubs or open tracking days, or they rent out the track to organizations like the SCCA or private track clubs that can limit the liability better.

The OP has the net worth to buy a $200K car, but I don't think he has the net worth to buy a $200K track car. :greedy
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

Where do you think you're posting? This is Bogleheads, pal. Go buy yourself 52 twenty year old Toyota Camrys. Then drive a different one every week. Very much fun! Yes? :D
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Watty wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:24 pm
ElBarto wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:04 pmWe currently have 2 cars in the stable, One is an SUV and the other a 4 door sports sedan......

Do you have a three car garage? Do you have a HOA rule about parking cars in the driveway?

If you do not have a good place to park it you might want to budget for adding another parking space for the new toy.

I am not a "car guy", I can understand if you are going to take a sports car on a track but I have never understood why people drive expensive sports cars in city traffic. A "sporty" car would be a lot better for that that then a true sports car.
It depends what you mean by "city traffic." No car is going to be fun sitting in gridlock. But even in the city, you can have fun with on/off ramps and enjoy the passing power. There's also something inherently fun about a convertible even if you aren't flogging it.

The real difference between a "sporty" car and a "sports" car isn't so much the outright speed. In fact, many vintage sports cars are downright slow by today's standards. It's more about the feel. Lukewarm "sporty" cars are often still pretty soft in terms of throttle response, braking, suspension, etc.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

MMiroir wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:29 pm
The OP has the net worth to buy a $200K car, but I don't think he has the net worth to buy a $200K track car. :greedy
Good point about the distinction. A track car should be one you can afford to total with no insurance reimbursement. On top of that, you also need a truck, a trailer, fees, tires, brakes, spares, setup equipment. It's why the folks racing $300k Ferrari challenge ars are usually gazillionaires while $15k Spec Miata guys are merely millionaires. Folks of more ordinary means can stick to autocross or perhaps LeMons with a team to share expenses.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Watty wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:24 pm

He already answered these - he is good to go.
azanon

Post by azanon »

I'll admit I was just the messenger, and that was my best guess at what he'd say if asked. Scotty (for better or worse) takes a very strong, brand-centric view of cars, meaning if he thinks there's a major issue with a car company, he wouldn't trust anything produced by them, from Sentra, all the way up to GTR. Now I'm not saying whether he's right or wrong to do that, but just saying I doubt he'd give the GTR a pass.

His claim is (now) 52 years of experience fixing cars gives him the right to be knowledgeable about such things. Whether that's a good reason or not, is anyone's opinion.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

azanon wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:30 pm

I'll admit I was just the messenger, and that was my best guess at what he'd say if asked. Scotty (for better or worse) takes a very strong, brand-centric view of cars, meaning if he thinks there's a major issue with a car company, he wouldn't trust anything produced by them, from Sentra, all the way up to GTR. Now I'm not saying whether he's right or wrong to do that, but just saying I doubt he'd give the GTR a pass.

His claim is (now) 52 years of experience fixing cars gives him the right to be knowledgeable about such things. Whether that's a good reason or not, is anyone's opinion.
You can find very experienced mechanics who are pro or con on just about any brand. Scotty is just a particularly opinionated one one. Being brand-centric makes less and less sense as car brands have become increasingly global and components are increasingly shared between manufacturers. If you are buying a new Toyota Supra, you should be looking to BMW reliability, because it's a BMW in all but aesthetic features. As for the GTR, it's made in a different plant with VERY different componentry than any other Nissan. The GTR has about as much in common with a Sentra as a Honda does other than perhaps minor items like switchgear.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:28 pm
rm wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:53 pm Have you thought about renting exotic cars when you want them. There are quite a few websites which allow you to rent for a week. Then you can just use when you want and also try out different cars.
Those exotic car rental services are generally pretty awful. Milage, acceleration, and even geographic range are often tightly controlled. Prices are sky high for what you get. Many of the cars will be beat to hell and back examples (and often not current models). They are more for the poser who wants to show up to a club in a Lambo he can't actually afford than someone who really wants to get a feel for the exotic driving experience. Perhaps there are a few exceptions.
Isn't showing up at the club half of the Lambo ownership experience?:) If you want to know how it drives on a track, there are numerous companies that provide that service also...
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

randomguy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:23 pm
Isn't showing up at the club half of the Lambo ownership experience?:) If you want to know how it drives on a track, there are numerous companies that provide that service also...
The “drive a super car on track” experiences like wise are usually pretty lame. The cheap ones are 20 year old cars with the “track” being a late autocross course. The expensive ones are mostly lead follow where your speeds are very controlled.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:20 pm
randomguy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:23 pm
The “drive a super car on track” experiences like wise are usually pretty lame. The cheap ones are 20 year old cars with the “track” being a late autocross course. The expensive ones are mostly lead follow where your speeds are very controlled.
The really expensive ones have a guy in the car with you and they let you keep cranking the speed up over the day as you demonstrate you will not kill someone. But yeah the ones where you sign up for 2 laps are better than driving on roads but you are still at a fraction of the cars potential.

And I assume some of them use 20 year old cars cause that is what their customers had up on their walls 20 years ago:)
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:15 pm $200k can get spendy real fast.

According to the forum Wiki, that budget must have a proper allocation:

Brand new detached 4 car/truck garage with two 12-16 feet wide electric roll up doors for entry.
$100k Plus.

Inside the above brand new garage:

1968 Camaro Z28
$60-80,000

Used Mazda Miata, or Datsun 240Z, or 1967 Austin Healey 3000 Mk III.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000

j :happy
Not so fast, 240Z's are becoming 57 BelAire's

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-124/
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

phxjcc wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:08 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:15 pm $200k can get spendy real fast.

According to the forum Wiki, that budget must have a proper allocation:

Brand new detached 4 car/truck garage with two 12-16 feet wide electric roll up doors for entry.
$100k Plus.

Inside the above brand new garage:

1968 Camaro Z28
$60-80,000

Used Mazda Miata, or Datsun 240Z, or 1967 Austin Healey 3000 Mk III.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000

j :happy
Not so fast, 240Z's are becoming 57 BelAire's

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-124/
300k!!!!
Wow!
I had no idea.
DW had a 240Z when we lst met. She was the original owner. If we still had it we’d be Rich!!!!
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

If your portfolio can surge a little this month, you might want to consider this Ferrari Enzo:
https://www.techspot.com/news/85558-fer ... e-car.html
Wolkenspiel

Post by Wolkenspiel »

A bit late to the party, but here's my advice to the OP: I'd look at a selection of used, low mileage NA cars: Lamborghini Huracan, Ferrari 458, Audi R8 V10 (1st gen) or 911 GT3 come to mind. As some of the last cars with high revving normally aspirated engines, one or the other might become a future classic.
I don't know if any of them will start to appreciate anytime soon, but if bought right, depreciation will definitely be limited. My 911 4s, bought CPO in 2016, has depreciated ~6% per year based on a buy-it-now offer from Carmax - I consider that acceptable.

Some brought up the question of "social acceptance" - that may or may not matter, but it's definitely easier for older generation cars than the latest models.

I would only buy a McLaren if money was truly no object - folklore points to a seamless transition from free-fall depreciation to horrendous repair bills. The turbo-charged V8 sounds ok at best. The cars do look good and are incredibly fast, though.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

Of course not - don't be silly and don't pretend you don't see the difference here.

My husband has never planned on making a purchase wholely unrelated to me that costs a calculable portion of our net worth when a "family" financial goal has been met.

I'm assuming you recognize the difference between keeping a tally for normal purchases and this particular situation when one partner intends on spending over 6% of the net worth of the entire family on this sort of purchase that benefits only him.

A family purchase like a luxury vacation or a home remodel seems a much more appropriate use of funds as they will be enjoyed by both partners.
bltn

Post by bltn »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:58 am
EddyB wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:44 am You and Tomato have pushed the Bogleheads brand of disdain for early retirement to a new extreme! The OP has enough money to go a long way toward supporting his current lifestyle and plans to continue to make probably twice as much as that....
OP has said he’s not retiring early and that he intends to continue earning. The reason I brought up retirement at all was in regards to his mention of the 4% “Rule,” which is usually invoked in terms of the income one can draw down in retirement.

I’ve said I don’t begrudge him his choice of automobile, but that I would not in his circumstances spend that much on a car. I admit I’m perhaps excessiveLy conservative. I referred to it as belt and suspenders.

Yes, I’m long FI and short RE. You consider it extreme; I don’t. I have seen what can happen when it goes wrong. I knew many people doing fabulously well around 2008, only to go tits up. Some of them even had very expensive cars :D
I agree.
There is always the trade off of RE or more money and the accompanying increased lifestyle and security. Some people find their work more fulfilling and enjoy the increased fruits of that labor on the side. Some enjoy the freedom from work enough to sacrifice the the increased financial benefits of continued earning.
As a car person married to a car person and as a frugal person I always got somewhat fun cars to drive while my wife got the “nice” cars in our family. My dream car for years was a 911 but now I don t even have an interest in driving another stick shift, even after driving stick shift cars for more than 20 years. My wife is trying to decide about her next luxury sport car, but she s having trouble finding anything she likes as well as her 650i.
Buying a 200,000 dollar car will cost about 30,000 a year over 5 years. I believe the op can afford that.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

BuckyBadger wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:51 am

Of course not - don't be silly and don't pretend you don't see the difference here.

My husband has never planned on making a purchase wholely unrelated to me that costs a calculable portion of our net worth when a "family" financial goal has been met.

I'm assuming you recognize the difference between keeping a tally for normal purchases and this particular situation when one partner intends on spending over 6% of the net worth of the entire family on this sort of purchase that benefits only him.

A family purchase like a luxury vacation or a home remodel seems a much more appropriate use of funds as they will be enjoyed by both partners.
Middle ground, it's a discussion. 6% is really exorbitantly high, I'd be shooting for .003 to .006 for a purchase, and include 3 years expected maint in that calc.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

randomguy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:28 pm

And I assume some of them use 20 year old cars cause that is what their customers had up on their walls 20 years ago:)
I assume all of them use 20 year old cars because you can pick up a Gallardo or Ferrari 360 for $75k or so.
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

Got this bookmarked for future reference.

Can't wait for other what should I buy threads so we can tongue lash and berate folks for their hobbies and interests.