What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ElBarto

What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by ElBarto »

Our family has reached some important milestones with the recent market uptick and I am considering rewarding myself with a fun car. I'm not sure exactly what and thought I ask for advice. I'm looking for something fast and fun to drive. Something I can drive down some windy roads and maybe pick up bagels in on Sunday mornings. We currently have 2 cars in the stable, One is an SUV and the other a 4 door sports sedan. Both are over 6+ years old and we are hoping to keep them for 10+ years each.

Any thoughts or advice?

In all honesty I am not 100% set on buying this toy and want to do some research on what is out there that might make me happy. I have always wanted a fancy sports car since I was a teenager and ogled the picture of a Lamborghini Countach on my wall. Although I set my price point at $150-$200k, this price point is not set in stone and can go either way.

EDIT: adding a few things that people keep asking about
I am 44 years old, have ~$3.1 million in investments with a chunk of cash sitting in a bank account awaiting to vest a bonus. This money will cover my mortgage. My plan is to DCA that chunk of cash into the mortgage over 6 or so months. If the market goes down again, I will divert the money back into index funds to reach my $3 million threshold. We spend $100k-$120k a year excluding mortgage. Our current $3 million will surely satisfy our current spending today. This is my milestone. We are more or less financially independent. We have a 529 that will cover most college education for our kids, and if it does not we will be able to easily cash flow it from work. With that in mind, why not spend $200k on something I want but don't necessarily need?

EDIT 2: The car I have been looking at the most recently has been the McLaren. I fell in love with the F1 and when the MP4-12C was released, this has been the car I like the most. Despite that, I do not think just going to the McLaren dealership and buying a car without researching other options and alternatives wise which is the reason for starting this thread. Not to mention I enjoy cars, enjoy driving cars, and I enjoy tracking cars though am not looking for a track car with this purchase.

Thanks everyone for their constructive responses even the ones that are questioning my thinking.

EDIT 3: Oct 13, 2020
Since starting this discussion I have paid off the mortgage and have over $3 million plus enough money to purchase a nice car. This occurred much faster than expected thanks to rebalancing in March, our robust economy, as well as being lucky to stay employed and healthy.

Since starting this thread a few months back, I have rented and/or test driven many cars and here is what I came up with.

Although driving an exotic sports car is amazing, I realize also it is a stressful ownership experience. Parking the car and making sure no one dings it made the whole experience less fun, and I was just renting the car. I tried treating the car as if I owned it which lead to that experience. I love to drive and an exotic car although fun to drive is not something I am willing to take to the track and really get the most out of it.

With the above being said I realize that what I really want is a track car I can enjoy driving fast without the fear of destroying it, while having something fun to drive around town that I wont have to worry leaving in a parking lot. My new plan is to get either a Miata or maybe a Cayman and get back to HPDE (high performance driving education.) After getting better and more comfortable with manual I may consider getting a trailer and purchasing or building a track only car. I am contemplating replacing my daily driver with a Tesla Model 3 performance package. The other option is a Cayman GTS which later on I could install roll bars and a 4 point restraint to make it my track only car if it depreciates. I may not do that if the car's value goes up over time.

I thank everyone here for their input.
Last edited by ElBarto on Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
TomatoTomahto

Re: What fun car should I get in the $150k - $200k range?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Haha. My wife enjoys her Porsche Cayenne Turbo (I know it’s not a sports car), but in real life, it gets out of the garage maybe once a week now.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Exotic sports cars tend to be loud, sit super low to the ground, uncomfortable, and impractical. I think the novelty would wear off pretty quickly. I'd also never want to drive a car that screams "look at me!" but that's me. I say get a Tesla and you still have $50K-150K to play with. Or a Porsche Taycan ($100-180K).
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Since you mention family, I have a question:

Is this, or do you already have, something that can be enjoyed as a family, like a cabin or a boat or an over the top vacation?

No opinion on cars, as long as you don't become one of the the illegal street racers keeping me up on a Friday night.
Small Savanna

Post by Small Savanna »

I would dial it back to a Porsche 911 or the new Corvette. They seem to be fun to drive, with more power than you could ever use, yet not completely impractical, and on the lower end of your price range even with a lot of options. I'd love to drive a Lamborghini once, but I can't imagine it as a daily driver or even a routine weekend driver.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

02nz wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:09 pm Exotic sports cars tend to be loud, sit super low to the ground, uncomfortable, and impractical. I think the novelty would wear off pretty quickly. I'd also never want to drive a car that screams "look at me!" but that's me. I say get a Tesla and you still have $50K-150K to play with.
Even my 4 year old Tesla X is more daily fun for me than my wife’s newer Porsche. When we are heading out, guess which one we take?

Btw, i stopped adding up how much it costs to make a Porsche “stealthy.” It’s all for naught, anyway, because anyone listening or looking at the tailpipes knows. It’s an SUV, though, and I have to admit comfortable and a pleasure to drive. It has 4 wheel steering, which my Tesla doesn’t.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Do you want an exotic car or a sports car? Big difference. Do you want something with a manual or is a dual-clutch transmission acceptable? Your market will be very limited if you want a manual since Ferrari/Lamborghini no longer make any and haven't for 7-10 years now. If manual is a requirement, 991.2 GT3 is probably your best option.

Sports car - 911 GT3 or GT3RS
Exotic car - Ferrari 458, or an FF/GTC4Lusso if you want to be able to take the whole family

https://rennlist.com/forums/
https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/

Good places to start researching. I'd do A LOT of research before you buy anything to make sure you know exactly what options you want/need and so you know what to look for/avoid on potential bad apples. Be aware that Ferrari's certified warranty only covers powertrain and is not bumper-to-bumper. You can get two years for the price of one on a CPO car right now ($~5k for a V8 and ~$6k for a V12).

All 2014-16 911 GT3's have a 10-year 120k mile engine warranty which is a huge selling point for a car in that class, they are in the $100-140k range. Even the 991.2 generation is coming down to well under your budget now. I have a 991.1 GT3 and it is the best car I've ever owned, worth every penny.

If you live near LA or Atlanta or have a chance to go there, I would also highly recommend doing the driving experiences at the Porsche Experience Center. Incredibly fun and not that expensive, the GT3 experience was about $900 and you get to drive the car for ~3 hours on the track and through different "modules" (skid pad, straight launch, cone drills, etc) with a professional driver as your passenger. Great restaurant there too.
Last edited by BruDude on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Orbuculum Nongata

Post by Orbuculum Nongata »

I think I can > I believe I can > I did
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Looks like just barely enough space in the trunk for the bagel runs OP is planning! (Yes I know it has a frunk, too.)
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Aston Martin Vantage on the low end of your range, DB11 on the high end.

BMW 8 Series and take the money you save and get your wife something real nice 👍
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

you should buy lambo
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Jags4186 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:30 pm Aston Martin Vantage on the low end of your range, DB11 on the high end.

BMW 8 Series and take the money you save and get your wife something real nice 👍
Both of those cars will depreciate like a rock and Aston's are really, really hard to sell. 911/Ferrari hold value incredibly well after the first owner takes the initial hit. The BMW is also a lot more "numb" feeling than a 911 GT car or exotic car will feel.

I'll also throw the Audi R8 V10 out there, more of a luxury cruiser that happens to be fast, but a great car nonetheless. Screams with an aftermarket exhaust, a little quiet with the stock one. You really have to drive a bunch of these cars to see which one(s) tickle your fancy.
Last edited by BruDude on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

BruDude wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:32 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:30 pm Aston Martin Vantage on the low end of your range, DB11 on the high end.

Both of those cars will depreciate like a rock and Aston's are really, really hard to sell. 911/Ferrari hold value incredibly well after the first owner takes the initial hit.
Oh okay. We’re making this a sound financial decision? I was unaware that spending upwards of $200k on a car was something you need to be frugal about.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Jags4186 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:35 pm

Both of those cars will depreciate like a rock and Aston's are really, really hard to sell. 911/Ferrari hold value incredibly well after the first owner takes the initial hit.
Oh okay. We’re making this a sound financial decision? I was unaware that spending upwards of $200k on a car was something you need to be frugal about.
Well yes. Most people that buy this kind of car tend to cycle through them every year or two because there's always the itch to try something different. Do you want to spend $200k on a car that will be worth $120k next year and extremely hard to sell, or $200k on a car that will be worth $185k next year and have people lined up to buy it? IMO, resale is an extremely important factor in which ones to start looking at. There's a reason the "best" cars have a stronger resale value, and Aston Martin and McLaren are both known to have very poor resale (along with BMW, but different class of car). A $150k 8 series will be worth $70k in two years.
Last edited by BruDude on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Perhaps you would be interested in a very expensive watch?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I do understand the appeal of an exotic car, but make sure you read about the ownership experience from people who own the specific car you want. Servicing exotic cars is a really unattractive prospect. Simple repairs can require a wait for parts and removing the engine from the car, from a limited pool of mechanics. I would not feel like my life was being enhanced by that.

A top spec Mustang GT500 or Corvettes ZR1 represents a less frustrating ownership experience IMO. The performance is incredible, with 760 and 755 HP respectively and the braking and handling to match it. They stand up to being driven hard. I would guess you'll spend 90k for the Mustang and 150k for the Corvette fully optioned out the door. When it does break, it's likely to be less frustrating to get it going again.

However, if you want a Lamborghini, go and get one. You just need the right mindset to enjoy it, and the money to support it.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Isn't anybody going to inquire about the important milestones the OP referenced?
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Best is to lease it, then hand it back in at the end of lease for a newer one or try something different.

Hire a broker (you'll pay a few hundred bucks) to negotiate the lease...at those prices, you won't do better yourself.

Be sure you're covered with gap insurance, either in the contact or purchased separately.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Another point to think about if looking at exotics - do you even have a dealer near your house, or is the closest one 3 hours away? Are there any independent shops that can service your exotic car near your house? As someone above mentioned, the ownership experience can be a nightmare if you don't have a dealer/indy shop close by, and the wait for parts when something breaks might suck. Exotic dealers also charge crazy prices for everything.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

investingdad wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:44 pm Isn't anybody going to inquire about the important milestones the OP referenced?
I was thinking about it. $25M makes sense, although I wouldn’t give him grief if he decided to celebrate getting into 8 digit net worth.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

69 Dodge Charger R/T!
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

BruDude wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:22 pm Do you want an exotic car or a sports car? Big difference. Do you want something with a manual or is a dual-clutch transmission acceptable? Your market will be very limited if you want a manual since Ferrari/Lamborghini no longer make any and haven't for 7-10 years now. If manual is a requirement, 991.2 GT3 is probably your best option.

Sports car - 911 GT3 or GT3RS
Exotic car - Ferrari 458, or an FF/GTC4Lusso if you want to be able to take the whole family

https://rennlist.com/forums/
https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/

Good places to start researching. I'd do A LOT of research before you buy anything to make sure you know exactly what options you want/need and so you know what to look for/avoid on potential bad apples. Be aware that Ferrari's certified warranty only covers powertrain and is not bumper-to-bumper. You can get two years for the price of one on a CPO car right now ($~5k for a V8 and ~$6k for a V12).

All 2014-16 911 GT3's have a 10-year 120k mile engine warranty which is a huge selling point for a car in that class, they are in the $100-140k range. Even the 991.2 generation is coming down to well under your budget now. I have a 991.1 GT3 and it is the best car I've ever owned, worth every penny.

If you live near LA or Atlanta or have a chance to go there, I would also highly recommend doing the driving experiences at the Porsche Experience Center. Incredibly fun and not that expensive, the GT3 experience was about $900 and you get to drive the car for ~3 hours on the track and through different "modules" (skid pad, straight launch, cone drills, etc) with a professional driver as your passenger. Great restaurant there too.
https://insideevs.com/news/420276/video ... 911-gt3rs/
Pale Blue Dot
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

BruDude wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:39 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:35 pm

Well yes. Most people that buy this kind of car tend to cycle through them every year or two because there's always the itch to try something different. Do you want to spend $200k on a car that will be worth $120k next year and extremely hard to sell, or $200k on a car that will be worth $185k next year and have people lined up to buy it? IMO, resale is an extremely important factor in which ones to start looking at. There's a reason the "best" cars have a stronger resale value, and Aston Martin and McLaren are both known to have very poor resale (along with BMW, but different class of car). A $150k 8 series will be worth $70k in two years.
Yes, a 2 year old 8 series is worth about $70-75k. The difference is that they only cost $100k.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

I’d buy a fully loaded Tesla S ($104k) + Wall Connector ($2-4k with installation and electrical panel update?)

Then also spring for some solar panels and a few Powerwalls maybe while I’m at it ;)
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

finite_difference wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:04 pm I’d buy a fully loaded Tesla S ($104k) + Wall Connector ($2-4k with installation and electrical panel update?)

Then also spring for some solar panels and a few Powerwalls maybe while I’m at it ;)
I think a Roadster is more OP’s cuppa.
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I like the Tesla - but i would get the Roadster when it is released. I have a 2019 model X, and it is awesome.

https://www.tesla.com/roadster

I saw this electric Porsche on "Jay Leno's Garage". Looked ultra cool:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/tayc ... can-turbo/
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:55 pm
investingdad wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:44 pm Isn't anybody going to inquire about the important milestones the OP referenced?
I was thinking about it. $25M makes sense, although I wouldn’t give him grief if he decided to celebrate getting into 8 digit net worth.
With livesoft's RBD car buying algorithm a measly $5M in equities works for 150-200 nowadays! .... algo is you can spend what you lose/make on a RBD/RGD
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Also - if you could get a 2020 Mid engine Corvette (which I doubt) they are going to become a collector car in short order. This is a major change for Corvette and there will be so very few of them due to the virus issue limiting production.
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:06 pm
finite_difference wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:04 pm I’d buy a fully loaded Tesla S ($104k) + Wall Connector ($2-4k with installation and electrical panel update?)

Not available yet, and I think the value is not really there over the model S unless you are in the 8 figures range.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

$200k can get spendy real fast.

According to the forum Wiki, that budget must have a proper allocation:

Brand new detached 4 car/truck garage with two 12-16 feet wide electric roll up doors for entry.
$100k Plus.

Inside the above brand new garage:

1968 Camaro Z28
$60-80,000

Used Mazda Miata, or Datsun 240Z, or 1967 Austin Healey 3000 Mk III.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
siriusblack

Post by siriusblack »

OP-- Please don't interpret this post to be critical or "judgy" as my kids say, just wanted to throw it out there in the spirit of friendly discussion. (And to be clear I am NOT against people buying expensive toys, etc., and I wouldn't think badly of you in the slightest for doing so.)

150-200k is a life-changing amount of money for many (most) people. The sports car will rust in your driveway and depreciate. I'm betting you get bagels about 2-3 times before it gets old. Imagine the "fun" and joy you would derive from changing someone's life -- you could start a college scholarship fund for at-risk youth who live near you, and personally select the recipients or spend time getting to know them and helping them get started in life, or many other creative things.

I'm not saying that's automatically the right answer for you -- because everyone's situation is different. (For all I know, you are already sharing a lot of your wealth and you are for the first time in your life considering doing something fun for yourself.) Also, if you have 100M, this is like someone else going to a nice steak restaurant. Anyway-- just food for thought-- it's your $$ and you earned the right to do with it whatever you want!

(And-- to actually answer the question-- if I was going to buy a fun car I would go for a Tesla, no question!)
Pizza_and_Beer

Post by Pizza_and_Beer »

Porsche 911 Turbo.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Lots of cars go fast these days. If fast is the only consideration, a Corvette or Tesla is obviously the best bang for the buck. I don't think OP is just looking for "fast" otherwise the budget would be much less than $150-200k. Speed isn't everything. The entire experience of driving the car is totally different with a GT car. Even though the body is the "same" as a regular 911, a GT3RS and a 911S are like two totally different cars. Driving a Ferrari is an experience in itself. I think the 458 is one of the best exotic cars ever made and being the last N/A V8 Ferrari means the value should hold strong for a long time, a lot of people prefer them over the newer 488 and F8 Tributo.

The Porsche feels very luxurious and sporty, the sound is incredible, the transmission shifts are ultra-fast, and the way the car builds speed towards redline is a very different experience than anything offered by BMW/Audi/Mercedes (maybe with the exception of the R8 V10). You won't have that feeling in a Tesla. The Z06 Corvette will probably be pretty great when it's released, but it isn't and there's a lot of other great cars out there to have fun with already.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

When I was younger I used to enjoy somewhat sporty cars but nothing like the OP is considering. The difference was that part of the enjoyment was going interesting places in them. Now with Covid-19, there's nowhere to go, so this seems like a strange time to be considering buying an exotic car. Also, when I was much younger, I did sometimes enjoy driving excessively fast on winding back roads. I shouldn't have done that, and wouldn't now that I'm older - well, I might push things a just little depending on how urgently I need to reach that next restroom, but not otherwise. So I think you have to ask yourself if it's really going to be fun taking those 30mph turns at 30mph in this car you buy. If not, with that much money maybe buy a track-only car and related items that will allow you to drive more aggressively?

Have you already acquired all the usual "family" items - boat, RV, etc.?
JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal »

Myself, I would go for an Audi R8. Not Spyder.

OTOH, in reality I, myself, would likely go for some sort of a hot-rodded 4 banger, very light. Maybe an old Lotus. Much cheaper. I think low HP cars like this can be realistically driven as a hot rod on real roads without excessive speed and risk of dangerous high speed crashes.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

edited...redundant post
Last edited by helloeveryone on Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

ElBarto wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:04 pm Our family has reached some important milestones with the recent market uptick and I am considering rewarding myself with a fun car. I'm not sure exactly what and thought I ask for advice. I'm looking for something fast and fun to drive. Something I can drive down some windy roads and maybe pick up bagels in on Sunday mornings. We currently have 2 cars in the stable, One is an SUV and the other a 4 door sports sedan. Both are over 6+ years old and we are hoping to keep them for 10+ years each.

Any thoughts or advice?

In all honesty I am not 100% set on buying this toy and want to do some research on what is out there that might make me happy. I have always wanted a fancy sports car since I was a teenager and ogled the picture of a Lamborghini Countach on my wall. Although I set my price point at $150-$200k, this price point is not set in stone and can go either way.
So many good ideas above. It helps to have a price range that high....

This is not a car but an SUV and I have no idea how fun it is to drive (I'm sure it's fast but not as fast as the 911's and ferraris and teslas mentioned...having said that.. Mercedes G Wagon - Specifically the AMG G63. MSRP $156,450.
https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/class ... v/type-amg

I feel like it checks off all your boxes and then some. And if you get tired of windy roads you can go overlanding with it.
Last edited by helloeveryone on Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

hicabob wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:10 pm
With livesoft's RBD car buying algorithm a measly $5M in equities works for 150-200 nowadays! .... algo is you can spend what you lose/make on a RBD/RGD
I used to use Livesoft's Rule to justify my Tesla Model X. As I became more circumspect about revealing what we have in our taxable account (our fixed income tax deferred accounts are owned up to, because that's how I can discuss our quasi-LMP plan), I stopped disclosing what Livesoft's rule would technically allow us. I think $150-$200k is silly with a $5M NW, unless you're single, older, no kids, pension, etc.

I think Livesoft's Rule needs re-calibration with the heightened volatility of today.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

finite_difference wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:13 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:06 pm

Not available yet, and I think the value is not really there over the model S unless you are in the 8 figures range.
I meant the original version. It will satisfy the need for speed AND the difficulty of finding parts.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:34 pm
hicabob wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:10 pm
I used to use Livesoft's Rule to justify my Tesla Model X. As I became more circumspect about revealing what we have in our taxable account (our fixed income tax deferred accounts are owned up to, because that's how I can discuss our quasi-LMP plan), I stopped disclosing what Livesoft's rule would technically allow us. I think $150-$200k is silly with a $5M NW, unless you're single, older, no kids, pension, etc.

I think Livesoft's Rule needs re-calibration with the heightened volatility of today.
I don't know....I feel like if I have $5 million networth, and I pay cash for a $200,000 car. I still have a $4.8million networth. That's still sitting pretty comfortable.

But that's assuming there is no other lifestyle creep =)
02nz

Post by 02nz »

helloeveryone wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:33 pm So many good ideas above. It helps to have a price range that high....

This is not a car but an SUV and I have no idea how fun it is to drive (I'm sure it's fast but not as fast as the 911's and ferraris and teslas mentioned...having said that.. Mercedes G Wagon - Specifically the AMG G63. MSRP $156,450.
https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/class ... v/type-amg

I feel like it checks off all your boxes and then some. And if you get tired of windy roads you can go overlanding with it.
I've ridden in one. The suspension is designed for off-roading; on roads it was nauseating. I would rather drive a Camry (and I hate Camrys).
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

ElBarto wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:04 pm In all honesty I am not 100% set on buying this toy and want to do some research on what is out there that might make me happy. I have always wanted a fancy sports car since I was a teenager and ogled the picture of a Lamborghini Countach on my wall. Although I set my price point at $150-$200k, this price point is not set in stone and can go either way.
Better get the Lambo then! You know that's what you want. ;-)
hohum

Post by hohum »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:21 pmSo I think you have to ask yourself if it's really going to be fun taking those 30mph turns at 30mph in this car you buy. If not, with that much money maybe buy a track-only car and related items that will allow you to drive more aggressively?
+1 to track car idea.

Also, if you are driving around on the streets, won't you be challenged by every 25 year old with a $5000 500hp 2002 honda civic sleeper (judging from youtube, there are many)?

With a track car and maybe some advanced driving lessons, you could terrify your friends ("I'll take you for a little spin on the track") and people will whisper behind your back "he drives that thing at 150 mph" etc.
55% VOO 20% IAU 15% AVDV 10% EDV
Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 »

I would personally buy an Fcar if I was spending that kind of money. Classy, beautiful, gorgeous, acoustic, attention, all in one. No way do I buy a Pcar in that price range given the glut of them on the streets.

R8 is a great DD'able v10 gated car but only if I am looking to spend 110-120, not taking a bath on a new one.

Give me a ferrari 488 in red please or maybe a F430 6 speed. The F430 and F360 are going to be somewhat reasonable maintenance wise, have hit a low point in value, and are pretty well designed (along with the NA 8 cylinder).

If flashiness is the #1 goal and you live somewhat close to a certified repair facility, a McLaren is a no-brainer.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Pizza_and_Beer wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:18 pm Porsche 911 Turbo.
+1.

Very fun car, very user friendly even for the novice, can track the car or drive to the grocery store. It’s an every day driver that can be used to take the kid to school or pick up dinner. When valet the car going out to dinner it’s usually put up front so when you come back out it’s right there. It’s not an “obnoxious” or screaming looking car that gets a lot of attention except from those who can appreciate the car. It’s also not gonna get the whispers when you drive it to a public or family function. It’s the sweet spot.
Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 »

hohum wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:53 pm
tibbitts wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:21 pmSo I think you have to ask yourself if it's really going to be fun taking those 30mph turns at 30mph in this car you buy. If not, with that much money maybe buy a track-only car and related items that will allow you to drive more aggressively?
+1 to track car idea.

Also, if you are driving around on the streets, won't you be challenged by every 25 year old with a $5000 500hp 2002 honda civic sleeper (judging from youtube, there are many)?

With a track car and maybe some advanced driving lessons, you could terrify your friends ("I'll take you for a little spin on the track") and people will whisper behind your back "he drives that thing at 150 mph" etc.
But a track car is easy to find in the 20-40k range to have a real good time pushing the limits. No way do I spend 100k on a car I intend to track somewhat regularly as it's best to have a dedicated car for that purpose. The OP wants a 200k car to drive around town, might as well get something Italian that you can enjoy listening to it scream and enjoying the attention.
Last edited by Olemiss540 on Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Lamborghini Countach :sharebeer
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

A new Corvette would cost you only about half of your budget I think. That’s what I’d get.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chicagoan23

Post by chicagoan23 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:34 pm

I don’t know....the $150k to $200k isn’t a total loss, as it would be with one of the other suggestions on this thread. A car in that range will keep most of its value for a long time. When the OP tires of it the OP can sell it, making the actual cost much lower (even when factoring insurance costs). Anything over $3 million in your portfolio and I say go for it (assuming you don’t already spend $300k per year).

The particular car itself is so dependent on personal preference. Try out several and see which one speaks to you.
"The Basic Choices for Investors and the One We Strongly Prefer" | | https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2011ltr.pdf
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

bob60014 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:57 pm 69 Dodge Charger R/T!
Finally someone with some sense, lol.

I was thinking 1966 Shelby GT350.