Good dusting cloth (that doesn't just move dust around) Also Air Purifiers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Good dusting cloth (that doesn't just move dust around) Also Air Purifiers?

Post by ResearchMed »

Do you have any recommendations about some good dusting cloths (or other item), ones that hold on to the dust and don't just move it around or get it back into the air?

I'd prefer something that doesn't need to have anything sprayed on it, IF such a thing really exists.
I don't know whether to trust any of these "e-cloth" or "electrostatic cloths". Some claim to be washable, which seems questionable to me.

DH has serious allergies, especially to fragrances, which is why I'd prefer if there really is some sort of charged cloth that actually works.
Next best would be something sprayed directly on a cloth, but not sprayed onto surfaces, to minimize the spray getting into the air.
(A fragrance-free product would be ideal, if it works.)

Something that needs to be dampened with water might be a "next best".

I'm also thinking of getting some air purifiers, one per floor, to get the dust out.
Any recommendations there?

Many thanks!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
PizzaEater

Re: Good dusting cloth (that doesn't just move dust around) Also Air Purifiers?

Post by PizzaEater »

Prevention goes a long way for dust. We also have health reasons for needing "clean" air.

For central heating/air, we use an air filter with a high MERV rating (>=12):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-1500- ... er/3774155
or
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-1900- ... er/3130397

Notice these have more pleats than the cheaper versions. We also replace these every 2-3 weeks (in our area they are already visibly dirty by that point).

Additionally, we have one of these and are considering buying a 2nd (we have a 2-story house):
https://www.iqair.com/room-air-purifiers/gc-multigas

You also need a good vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter so that vacuuming actually cleans instead of spreading dust around. Based on this guide:
https://www.allergybuyersclub.com/learn ... guide.html
we went with the Miele Complete C3 and are very happy with it (we have mostly hard floors). We actually use the vacuum to dust. You can then go back a second time with a cloth to pick up any remaining dust. For that I don't have a recommendation - I prefer a damp cloth to trap the dust. You can even vacuum while you dust (kind of like how woodworking tools use a vacuum system to suck away all the sawdust).

Finally, get rid of as much carpet as possible. Carpet just traps dust. We actually recently refloored the entire house to get rid of all carpet and replaced with tile. If you prefer the carpet feel get rugs and replace every 5 years.

Yes, all that is expensive, but for us it's worth it to create a healthy environment for someone who suffers from allergies.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

i use these for dusting. perhaps you can get a small package to try it out; make sure it comes with the handle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NS6I5F0/ref=dp_cerb_1?th=1
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

cashboy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:33 pm i use these for dusting. perhaps you can get a small package to try it out; make sure it comes with the handle.

https://www.amazon.com/Swiffer-Dusters- ... 2601701011
Thanks.
I had noticed these, especially the "unscented" ones (apparently there are others with specific scent added).

But these are "refills". Refills for... what item?

If these really work, it's probably what we are looking for.

RM
brandy

Post by brandy »

Do some research first, on air purifier seller sites
Here's 2:
https://www.sylvane.com/ https://www.sylvane.com/air-purifier-buying-guide.html

https://www.air-purifiers-america.com/

then check for reviews, both on and off the manufacturer sites

I was totally, permanently disabled by the fumes, gases, vapors, smokes of chemicals long ago.
Long story short, I live pretty much much as a hermit. I did buy an Austin Air Healthmate air purifier in 2006.
I am just now thinking of not only getting a new healthmate filter for it, but also getting a second Austin Air machine.

It's important to understand WHAT the parameters are. Room size, air changes per hour, etc.
When I got mine, the advertised space was 1500 sq feet. I was not satisfied with it, and that was due to m lack of knowledge and understanding, inability to do needed research, health (really bad at the time) etc.

I just started using my healthmate after years of it just sitting. I started because I was getting other peoples laundry and cooking smells in my SFR. Surprise, surprise, it removed them! After all this time. AND, more importantly, I've had sleeping problems over the years, and after a trip/fall in Sept, and another physical event in May, and the turning off the furnace, leaving pilot on, to turn on the cooler, sleep has been elusive. Since the laundry and food odors were removed by these ~14 year old VERY lightly used filters, I decided to last week put the machine into my bedroom to see if it helped there. First night, not much change. But from then on, each night, I've been not only sleeping better, but when I wake up, whether mid-night or morning, I am not struggling to breathe. I still don't breathe well, but I'm not struggling to breathe now. It is definitely making a wonderful change for me.

My own health is so fragile, I expect to have to have people come in at least occasionally. Though they will be expected to be fragrance free, they may not be. I THINK I'm going to get the Bedroom Machine for my second one, but will use it where there are other people. I will get the healthmate filter for the one I have.

These are not cheap. The manufacturer says to change the filters in 5 years. The sales companies say 3 years. Again, this filter in mine is very lightly used, about 14 years old, and is making a big difference for me. I do not expect to replace that filter system for a while yet.

My house is now about 1800sq feet, and though the real life (!?!) air cleaning is apparently less than—maybe by half—what the manufacturer says, I think these two will work for me.

Whatever you do, be careful re machines that produce ozone. If you are in CA, you may have to do more research—I think some machines do not reach the CA standards.
Best wishes. This is not fun...

I too, do not have carpet.
Last edited by brandy on Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Mathew

Post by Ben Mathew »

Microfiber cleaning cloths like this one absorb some level of dust without needing water.

For heavier duty wiping, I wet an absorbent cotton towel like this one with water, and rinse frequently.
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

PizzaEater wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:30 pm Prevention goes a long way for dust. We also have health reasons for needing "clean" air.

For central heating/air, we use an air filter with a high MERV rating (>=12):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-1500- ... er/3774155
or
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-1900- ... er/3130397

Notice these have more pleats than the cheaper versions. We also replace these every 2-3 weeks (in our area they are already visibly dirty by that point).

Additionally, we have one of these and are considering buying a 2nd (we have a 2-story house):
https://www.iqair.com/room-air-purifiers/gc-multigas

You also need a good vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter so that vacuuming actually cleans instead of spreading dust around. Based on this guide:
https://www.allergybuyersclub.com/learn ... guide.html
we went with the Miele Complete C3 and are very happy with it (we have mostly hard floors). We actually use the vacuum to dust. You can then go back a second time with a cloth to pick up any remaining dust. For that I don't have a recommendation - I prefer a damp cloth to trap the dust. You can even vacuum while you dust (kind of like how woodworking tools use a vacuum system to suck away all the sawdust).

Finally, get rid of as much carpet as possible. Carpet just traps dust. We actually recently refloored the entire house to get rid of all carpet and replaced with tile. If you prefer the carpet feel get rugs and replace every 5 years.

Yes, all that is expensive, but for us it's worth it to create a healthy environment for someone who suffers from allergies.
Thanks very much.

We have a very old house, so it's leaky. (We used to joke that there would be no "sick building syndrome", as there was automatic "fresh air" circulating, too.)
We do get a good AC filter, which only reaches the main and second floor; nothing for the garden level, which is fully furnished.

But the air handler is in the attic, and in a far corner, and... we cannot easily get up there anymore. (Yes, after the pandemic, our delayed search to "downsize" gets re-started.)
We probably should run the "air only" more often during the winter, as the heat is from steam radiators, not the same as the AC system, which was added much later (not by us).
But I really notice the "dust in the air" when the sun shines through the windows on that garden level, and no air re-circulates there.

It's probably time for a new vacuum cleaner, so thanks... I'll look through that link.
We do have a (by now older) Miele vacuum with HEPA filter, so a new one would probably also be a good idea about now.

The second floor had old wall-to-wall carpeting. We realized that there were *gorgeous* hardwood floors that had been "oh so carefully protected" by that carpeting, so we had it all pulled up. We do have some oriental carpets on both main floors, but there is lots of wood, too.

Thanks again.

RM
PizzaEater

Post by PizzaEater »

brandy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:44 pm Do some research first

Yes! Remember that less... respectable... sellers know you're shopping for your health and are willing to spend big bucks.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Microfiber cleaning cloths work wonderfully well for dusting. Either wet or dry, they're great little dirt magnets. You can find them almost anywhere, including the dollar store.

If all you care about is dust, any HEPA purifier should work well. I would get one for each room you care about, sized to that room. Pay attention to the clean air delivery rate (CADR): you can't expect a small unit to cover a large area. I own an IQAir multigas unit and it's a great product, but if you don't have a problem with VOCs you don't need the gas adsorbing cylinders. Unfortunately they all tend to be large and noisy. There are also ionizing units that put a charge on the dust particles, causing them to attach themselves to the nearest available surface, but then your dusting problem gets worse. They are quiet, though.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Ben Mathew wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:45 pm Microfiber cleaning cloths like this one absorb some level of dust without needing water.
I bought a dozen or so of these and find they work very well without just moving the dust around. The dust sticks to the cloth and the cloth then goes into the washer.

They are also outstanding as a wet cleaning cloth - especially good for windows and doors. Sinks or tubs. Or wiping the dog. Or cleaning the floor. Or wiping the scum off the windshield....I use them for a lot of different things. They are very versatile.

Interestingly, the manufacturer included Instructions....don't dry them in the dryer, especially with cotton towels. So I just throw mine over the laundry room sink and when dry, they go into a basket ready to use.
UncleBen

Post by UncleBen »

Good microfiber cloths work well. Norwex is the cadillac brand sold through home parties at premium prices. E-Cloth is a good quality competitor.

I'd recommend the 8 cloth E-cloth cleaning set which has a dusting cloth included. But I'd spring for a Norwex dusting mitt on ebay, it actually makes dusting fun. It works dry but a little better slightly dampened. Norwex and E-Cloth both make a dusting wand which works well for fans, ledges, or other hard to reach places. I have the Norwex but I'd wager the E-Cloth is almost as good at a fraction of the cost.

Microfiber must only be washed with microfibers and never with the fabric softeners.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:39 pm
cashboy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:33 pm i use these for dusting. perhaps you can get a small package to try it out; make sure it comes with the handle.

Thanks.
I had noticed these, especially the "unscented" ones (apparently there are others with specific scent added).

RM
These are refills for that handle thingy in the picture.

We just use the regular swiffer cloths that they sell in giant packs at Costco, that are supposed to go on the bottom of their floor sweeper thingy. We sometimes use them on the floor, but more often, we just use them as dust cloths, without any apparatus. They work really well.

They’re disposable, though, so prepare to get into a discussion with someone about their environmental friendliness.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

UncleBen wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:52 pm Good microfiber cloths work well. Norwex is the cadillac brand sold through home parties at premium prices. E-Cloth is a good quality competitor.

I'd recommend the 8 cloth E-cloth cleaning set which has a dusting cloth included. But I'd spring for a Norwex dusting mitt on ebay, it actually makes dusting fun. It works dry but a little better slightly dampened. Norwex and E-Cloth both make a dusting wand which works well for fans, ledges, or other hard to reach places. I have the Norwex but I'd wager the E-Cloth is almost as good at a fraction of the cost.

Microfiber must only be washed with microfibers and never with the fabric softeners.
It bothers me to know how much of a Norwex is going to the MLM structure, but the quality is really there. I have tried some less expensive microfiber cloths but after using the Norwex, I always quit using the others. Will check out E-Cloth.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I have severe insect allergies, as well as chemical sensitivities. The single best thing I did for my allergies was having all the carpet removed from my house after I bought it and before I moved in. I had a HEPA filter in every room when I lived in an apartment with carpets. Trying to control my allergies with carpet on the floor was just a losing battle.

I use Swiffer products, both the cloths and the dusters, for my dusting and simple floor cleaning, which works well enough for me. I also have a small vacuum with HEPA filtration, although I sweep more than I vacuum these days. The vacuum is still useful for specific deep cleaning purposes, and it's also very useful for cleaning room-based HEPA filter units.

Like suggested above, I have an allergen filter on my HVAC unit. I would not go with the 3M Filtrete "purple" or "blue" filters though, as those might restrict air flow too much and could potentially damage the unit. I've found that the 3M Filtrete "red" filters are a good balance between filtering allergens out of the air and retaining enough air flow to minimize damage to the blower.

Change the filter frequently, based off of use, not calendar months. If your thermostat tracks time between filter changes, that's ideal. If not, observe the filter when the unit is on. If it gets pulled in too much, it's time to change it. I have a thermostat that tracks how long it's been between filter changes, but I still visibly observe the filter to see if its getting dirty sooner than normal. Letting it go too long while dirty can also damage the blower, so change the filter often.

For room-based HEPA filter units, there are many different focuses in the filters. If you want to control odors and volatile organic compounds, you will want one with a large carbon/activated charcoal insert. On the other hand, if you're more concerned about dust, pollen, and other particles, one that primarily has a HEPA filter focus is better suited. Look for units that have easy maintenance and good availability of replacement filters.

I really miss my old Honeywell HEPA units now that they've all failed from old age. The current Honeywell models are just not as good as the ones from a decade ago. I currently have an Austin HealthMate in the cat's room to control their odors and the dust from their litter. That brand has multiple filter options and I have the one with a large carbon and zeolite insert in the filter cartridge. I got mine on a good sale a couple of years ago for about 15% off.

I also have three Levoit filters, and of the three I could only recommend the LV-H134 (which I affectionately call "the Dalek" due to its shape and size). It is one of their more expensive models, but it has a quiet blower and a good filter capacity. I was able to get it on a fantastic sale for around $260 in January (about 35% off). IQAir also has a lot of recommendations. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a HEPA unit.

I personally avoid any HEPA unit that has an ionizer. Ozone is a side effect of ionizers and I just don't want to add that variable to the mix. Also, if you plan to run the unit in the bedroom, pay close attention to the decibel levels. Part of the reason I can't recommend one of the other Levoit models is because it is louder on low than the LV-H134 on low (the third model is quiet, but it is just too small for anything besides a small office or nursery). The sound is also the primary reason I can't recommend most of the current Honeywell models, they're just a lot louder than the ones from a decade ago.

Much as with the HVAC filter, good maintenance and filter changing schedules are important for the HEPA units. I vacuum the outside of the unit regularly. I also pull out the filter and give the filter and the inside of the unit a good vacuuming every once and a while. I'm often appalled at how much cat litter dust is inside the HealthMate unit when I do that.
Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon »

UncleBen wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:52 pm Good microfiber cloths work well. Norwex is the cadillac brand sold through home parties at premium prices. E-Cloth is a good quality competitor.

+1 On Norwex, I normally don't go for things I can't buy in retail location, but at local craft fair after seeing the 'Veggie' cloth clean a potato & carrot I'm hooked and have the dusting cloths, as well as glass cloth & mesh cleaning cloth for dishes. Once you buy them/find a reseller can just buy direct via mail from them. They last a long time and just use water. Not what your OP was about but veggie cloth is amazing on potato's and carrots.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Another +1 for the microfiber cloth recommendation. They work great in our home. Mrs Bob loves them as she is a bit of a clean freak and I love them as I have allergies. I also use them for cleaning the car, the interiors are dust magnets so I keep one in the glovebox for a weekly wipe down.
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Great - thanks all!

This gives me a few specific things to look into, and I've already started, for both dusting (cleaning) cloths and air purifiers.
It seems that the "magic cloth" really does something special. I wasn't sure if there was really anything other than "regular cloth", etc.
(I'm surprised it really works, especially after being washed, and yes, without fabric softener, which we never use anyway.)

And it's good to have some specific brand names, etc., from BH members, rather than depending on the input of strangers :wink:

Any other suggestions are still welcomed!

RM
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

We find that a pack of plain white washcloths from Costco (I think they are intended for motels and such) works pretty well if we dampen them with water. Wash until they get permanently dingy and then demote to garage use.
telemark

Post by telemark »

See also

https://nymag.com/strategist/article/ho ... -dust.html

which includes advice from professional cleaners.
rjmack

Post by rjmack »

+1 for Norwex. We use several of their products; one is a dusting mit we've had a few years now and still seems to be working quite well. We don't use spray or any chemicals with it. Their stuff definitely seems durable!
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

brandy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:44 pm Do some research first, on air purifier seller sites
Here's 2:
https://www.sylvane.com/ https://www.sylvane.com/air-purifier-buying-guide.html

https://www.air-purifiers-america.com/

I was totally, permanently disabled by the fumes, gases, vapors, smokes of chemicals long ago.
Long story short, I live pretty much much as a hermit. I did buy an Austin Air Healthmate air purifier in 2006.
I am just now thinking of not only getting a new healthmate filter for it, but also getting a second Austin Air machine.

It's important to understand WHAT the parameters are. Room size, air changes per hour, etc.
When I got mine, the advertised space was 1500 sq feet. I was not satisfied with it, and that was due to m lack of knowledge and understanding, inability to do needed research, health (really bad at the time) etc.

I just started using my healthmate after years of it just sitting. I started because I was getting other peoples laundry and cooking smells in my SFR. Surprise, surprise, it removed them! After all this time. AND, more importantly, I've had sleeping problems over the years, and after a trip/fall in Sept, and another physical event in May, and the turning off the furnace, leaving pilot on, to turn on the cooler, sleep has been elusive. Since the laundry and food odors were removed by these ~14 year old VERY lightly used filters, I decided to last week put the machine into my bedroom to see if it helped there. First night, not much change. But from then on, each night, I've been not only sleeping better, but when I wake up, whether mid-night or morning, I am not struggling to breathe. I still don't breathe well, but I'm not struggling to breathe now. It is definitely making a wonderful change for me.

My own health is so fragile, I expect to have to have people come in at least occasionally. Though they will be expected to be fragrance free, they may not be. I THINK I'm going to get the Bedroom Machine for my second one, but will use it where there are other people. I will get the healthmate filter for the one I have.

These are not cheap. The manufacturer says to change the filters in 5 years. The sales companies say 3 years. Again, this filter in mine is very lightly used, about 14 years old, and is making a big difference for me. I do not expect to replace that filter system for a while yet.

My house is now about 1800sq feet, and though the real life (!?!) air cleaning is apparently less than—maybe by half—what the manufacturer says, I think these two will work for me.

Whatever you do, be careful re machines that produce ozone. If you are in CA, you may have to do more research—I think some machines do not reach the CA standards.
Best wishes. This is not fun...

I too, do not have carpet.
^^___this.

The Austin air purifiers have done the best for me.
7x24x365 for 15+ years.
You will be shocked at how much dust is reduced after a week.
brandy

Post by brandy »

OP said: "...DH has serious allergies, especially to fragrances,..."

Consider a change of mattress, too. They used to be filled with chemicals.
Google "chemicals in mattresses"

Here's one site
https://www.leafscore.com/eco-friendly- ... ete-guide/

Since you put your nose/mouth/body on that pad 3-8 hours at a time, it can be a major source of problems.

Used to be you needed a doctor prescription to buy a mattress that did not have flame retardant in/on it. I don't know if that's still true.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Be cautious replacing furnace filters with higher MERV ratings yu may jeopardize heating and your furnace.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
brandy

Post by brandy »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:18 am Be cautious replacing furnace filters with higher MERV ratings yu may jeopardize heating and your furnace.
My Rheem furnace is ~40yo. Is the merv rating shown on it? Where? I couldn't see anything on the outside of it, can't remove the panel.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

brandy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:54 am
TheGreyingDuke wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:18 am Be cautious replacing furnace filters with higher MERV ratings yu may jeopardize heating and your furnace.
My Rheem furnace is ~40yo. Is the merv rating shown on it? Where? I couldn't see anything on the outside of it, can't remove the panel.
What filters are in there now? Look at them and either record the MERV or look it up. I suspect that a 40-year-old furnace has a fairly low MERV
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
brandy

Post by brandy »

What's there now doesn't matter. :mrgreen:
I've been here ~ 9 years, and bought what the store I was in had that fit...
From 69-84 I had a barrel stove. :happy
85-99 didn't need a stove. :D
Then was so sick, survival was the issue, not furnace filters. :|

I googled it and found
What MERV rating does Rheem recommend?
Rheem recommends filters of MERV 8 and above. This MERV level is strong enough to remove substances like pollen, dust mites, dust and pet dander from the air. Higher MERV filters are better suited for minimizing allergy symptoms and improving indoor air quality — however, you'll need to check and see the maximum MERV rating supported by your Rheem furnace model.
Now I have to find the serial number...
PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen »

Reading these comments about furnace filters, etc. reminds me we had great success drastically decreasing dust by installing a whole house air purifier several years ago. It was attached to the furnace.

An online search will give you lots of information about the different kinds.
Here's a link from one of those contractor referral sites. It's sort of an ad, but has some useful information.
https://www.improvenet.com/r/costs-and- ... ation-cost
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I already pointed out being careful to not restrict air flow in my post above. That's why I recommended the 3M Filtrete "red" (Micro Allergen) filters instead of the ones with higher MERV ratings and to also change the filter based on usage, not on calendar months. The "red" filter is the entry-level allergen filter. It still traps pollen and pet dander, but does not restrict airflow as much as the other allergen filters with higher MERV ratings.

I suppose if one is really concerned, they could also go with the "green" (Green Living) filters, which are still rated to trap dust mite debris, pollen, and mold. The "green" version does not trap pet dander and I have a lot of pets, so I go with the "red" filter and monitor it often to determine when it needs to be changed. I just changed it over the weekend because I noticed it was pulling up, even though the time tracker on my thermostat said it had only been used for 200 hours.

Comparison chart of the 3M Filtrete models: https://www.filtrete.com/3M/en_US/filtr ... r-for-you/
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

DW used to have very severe allergies until her stroke, and we used Pledge and Handi Wipes. Spray the pledge directly onto the Handi Wipe. Seemed to work for her.

We tried one of the tower type air cleaners similar to this in the bedroom, and it was a waste of money. So was cleaning the air ducts a waste.

https://www.staples.com/GermGuardian-AC ... gLQs_D_BwE
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Thanks.

RM
The refills are for the handle. Slip the dirty one off and the new one on. They work OK for spaces you can't reach, but not as good as Pledge with Handi Wipes on surfaces. I use them around the baseboards because I don't like crawling around on the floor anymore. :happy They work OK for that.

edit: Someone mentioned using Swiffer pads for dust cloths. That reminded me DW used to do that too.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

Just in case anyone else is going to buy these...

I bought this item Sunday from amazon. $25 with tax. It was delivered Monday morning. I used one on my blinds, it worked well. About an hour later, I went to Costco, and noticed they had them on the shelf for over 50% less. $11 plus tax.

Damnit! 😂
Last edited by j0nnyg1984 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

j0nnyg1984 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:38 pm

I bought this item Sunday from amazon. $25 with tax. It was delivered Monday morning. I used one on my blinds, it worked well. About an hour later, I went to Costco, and noticed they had them once the shelf for over 50% less. $11 plus tax.

Damnit! 😂
Amazon has surge pricing on a lot of items right now. It pays to comparison shop before buying from them. I've had to cancel a couple of subscriptions because the surge price is absurd compared to other sources. For example, they want $55 for a 2lb canister of protein powder that I can get directly from the manufacturer for $40. Before surge pricing, it was $30-35 for the same protein powder. So I've cancelled that subscription and ordered directly from the manufacturer (I just wish the manufacturer had a better website).
lawman3966

Post by lawman3966 »

Having recently bought a new air purifier, I thought I'd chime in here.

I got a Medify MA-40 unit that was very well reviewed. It works well. It does make a fair amount of noise on the highest setting though. I use mine in a large common area that is separated from my sleeping area by a door. This unit has pretty good specs for the price.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:02 pm Do you have any recommendations about some good dusting cloths (or other item), ones that hold on to the dust and don't just move it around or get it back into the air?
As a woodworker, I use tack cloths to remove dust from any project before I proceed to finish it. As the name suggests, the surface is slightly tacky so the dust sticks to it but isn't tacky enough to transfer any residue onto the project. They probably cost more than your average dust rag but they are available in bulk and there are dozens of recipes online for making homemade versions.
IMO

Post by IMO »

CurlyDave wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:44 am We find that a pack of plain white washcloths from Costco (I think they are intended for motels and such) works pretty well if we dampen them with water. Wash until they get permanently dingy and then demote to garage use.
Agree this is the most simple and effective way to dust. I'm always a bit perplexed why people feel the need to buy things like swifters and other expensive products when the most effective way to remove dust is a damp cloth. These along with a bucket of water and perhaps a little dish soap or Simple Green would be the gold standard to dust removal. Have 2 buckets, one with water and one with the solution. Is there really any "dusting" product that works better? (Good example being dusting off ceiling fan blades or dusty blinds).
mrc

Post by mrc »

I bought this item Sunday from amazon. $25 with tax. It was delivered Monday morning. I used one on my blinds, it worked well. About an hour later, I went to Costco, and noticed they had them on the shelf for over 50% less. $11 plus tax.

Damnit! 😂

Geeze, it's $6.50 now, shipped PRIME. What's with the surge pricing?
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
sls239

Post by sls239 »

First I use my vacuum cleaner with the brushy attachments to dust. It has a HEPA filter on it. Then I wipe with a barely damp rag.

If you use a microfiber cloth, you need to launder them only with other synthetic fabrics.

I have special zip covers for my mattress and pillowcases. I also double case pillows so it goes zip cover, pillowcase one way, pillowcase the other way. An extra pillowcase is cheap and doesn't add much to the laundry load.

I use an air purifier in my bedroom at night - I turn it on high a couple hours before bed and shut the door, then switch to the lowest setting to sleep.

I use a decent pleated furnace filter and change it every month during allergy season.

Because I'm allergic to grass, when I'm done with yardwork, I pull those shoes and clothes off right in the laundry room.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

CurlyDave wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:44 am We find that a pack of plain white washcloths from Costco (I think they are intended for motels and such) works pretty well if we dampen them with water. Wash until they get permanently dingy and then demote to garage use.
We use these too. First use a damp cloth with vinegar and water and then go over the surface again with a dry one. It’s twice the work, but cleans well.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

My wife uses Swiffers that go onto a little plastic handle. I've used them and they are very convenient to get in and around things (without moving everything) and they seem to collect the dust on tables, etc. very efficiently. They definitely don't just push the dust around. Costco has them in big boxes at a lower price/each.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

mrc wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:41 pm Geeze, it's $6.50 now, shipped PRIME. What's with the surge pricing?
Here's my Amazon trick. When something seems high priced and I don't need it immediately, I add it to my Wish List. I regularly check my Wish List to see if the price has come down to more reasonable levels. That's actually how I got the Levoit HEPA filter I mentioned up-thread for 35% off. I'd had the unit in my Wish List for months, and when I saw it was on a great sale, I bought it.
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

mrc wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:41 pm

Damnit! 😂

Geeze, it's $6.50 now, shipped PRIME. What's with the surge pricing?

This is a slightly different product than what I purchased...these are “swiffer 360” and I bought “swiffer 180.”

🤷🏻‍♂️
bostondan

Post by bostondan »

When my mom was terminally ill we had to move into a new apartment to care for her. It was an old 3 bedroom apartment owned by my university that was actually amazingly nice, but hadn't been lived in or cleaned in about 1 year. As a result, it was horribly dusty. We purchased 4 of these: https://winixamerica.com/product/5300-2/

It did a shockingly good job making the air cleaner. I decided to just keep all 4 in constant use in various parts of my home now that my family lives elsewhere. We get almost no dust on surfaces even after several weeks. It is truly amazing.

I buy generic replacement filters on Amazon and always replace them at the recommended interval (3 months for carbon filter, 12 months for HEPA filter). Sometimes I replace them sooner after we do things like construction or painting in our home. The filters are horrifyingly dirty after we do those types of things and it makes me glad I had the air filter.

Also, I have anosmia (lack of sense of smell), so the air purifier suddenly turning from low to high setting automatically is the only way I know when one of my family members has flatulated... :twisted: (I'm not even joking. It detects it in about 10 seconds.)
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel