Buying a Bike - What Should I Choose?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ruanddu

Buying a Bike - What Should I Choose?

Post by ruanddu »

Hello,

I am looking for a bike to ride around town with my young daughters, occasional trail riding and maybe commuting to my work which is about a 30 minute ride away.

Which type of bike would you choose? Brand and model recommendations are also appreciated.

A friend of mine has a used but in good shape Trek X500 Hybrid/City Bike (Disc Brakes, Shimano Deore shifting) for sale. He fixed up and is selling for $350. Is this a good all-around bike for my purposes mentioned above?

Thank you!
livesoft

Re: Buying a Bike - What Should I Choose?

Post by livesoft »

Yes, that's a good all-around bike for your purposes if it fits you.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks, Livesoft.
Flora

Post by Flora »

What's your budget? Is your friend close to your height?

Trek Crossrip is a nice bike for those purposes.

For example I recently saw a lightly used 2018 Trek Crossrip 1 on craigslist for $550 for a person who is 5'7 to 5'9 (54cm frame).
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Trek makes some fine bikes. The best answer is to ride a couple different bikes. Doesn't have to be a ton, just enough to get an idea in your head on what fit and feels good. Fore example, I think the x500 sits a bit upright. Personally, I'd look for a commuter that is a tiny bit more aggressive with a lower torso positioning. But that's just me.

On the other side of the argument, the bike is only $350, so even if you had to resell it at a loss, your downside is low. Sometimes a bird in the hand...
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

TallBoy29er wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:59 pm Trek makes some fine bikes. The best answer is to ride a couple different bikes. Doesn't have to be a ton, just enough to get an idea in your head on what fit and feels good. Fore example, I think the x500 sits a bit upright. Personally, I'd look for a commuter that is a tiny bit more aggressive with a lower torso positioning. But that's just me.

On the other side of the argument, the bike is only $350, so even if you had to resell it at a loss, your downside is low. Sometimes a bird in the hand...
Edited to add: What if you used the bike to commute for a few days before committing? That's not an unreasonable ask from a friend. Friends do let friends use each others' bikes. :D
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

Your friend's bike sounds like a decent choice and good price, but if your friend is willing, I would take it to a local bike shop (preferably one that sells Treks) and check with them if the bike fits your body type (ie, torso and legs, not just height) and get an opinion if they think it also fits your goals. You can also assure the shop that you will be using them for future service.
A poor bike fit can decrease enjoyment, make you have to work harder, and can even cause injury.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Good points everyone. I really appreciate it.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

I have a Trek FX2, which is a hybrid similar to your friend's X500 (although the X500 is nicer, as I have regular rim brakes and no luggage rack). The hybrid geometry is nice for commuting (mine served me well as a good-weather commuting vehicle for 2 years of college and 3 years of grad school), and it works well for pleasure riding on pavement, since it has skinny tires.
The aluminum frame was a revelation after years of cheap steel bikes, and I still use it as a monthly pleasure rider after 12 years. I paid about $650 for mine, so $350 for a good condition X500 seems like a good deal. Trek bikes last a long time with good care. Anecdotally, my wife got a 20-year-old Trek bike from her Mom that's still in great shape.
See if you can borrow it for a few test rides to make sure the geometry is good.
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

That bike should suit your purposes just fine if it fits you. Keep in mind a lot of bike shops are sold out of entry level bikes right now so if you have an affordable option from a friend you should probably take it!
fatmike91

Post by fatmike91 »

There is a massive shortage of bikes especially at the low end.

If it's a good bike and checks out, then buy it without hesitation because you might find you don't have any other good options anywhere near that price point.

Sounds like the seller is offering to sell it a a significant discount to market.

/
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

Yup that is a good buy for what you want, especially now. I would say test ride it first, make sure it fits you.

Spoke to the owner of the local bike shop, he said he has been lucky to leave the shop at 10pm each night. No shop can keep an entry level bikes or kids bikes in the store due to demand. Local mobile bike shop (guy drives to your house and fixes your bike) said he is booked solid for 4 weeks.

If you keep looking. For your level any of the main brands would do just fine (Trek, Specalized, Giant, Cannondale). At that point they are all the same. You start getting into specifics between the brands when you start dishing out 1,500 or more.

I would avoid big box stores (walmart, target, etc).
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks again! I think I will go for the Trek X500.
windaar

Post by windaar »

We called a bike shop earlier this week around noon and they said that we were about their 200th phone call. All popular models were way out of stock. So be prepared for that.
Nobody knows nothing.
cyclist

Post by cyclist »

On the flip side, it's an excellent time to dust off that unused bike in your garage or shed and post it on Craigslist.

I've been amazed at the response I've gotten and at the prices I've received for unused bikes, both newish and quite old.

Cyclist